The Town of Berck.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Storyteller
 GM, 19 posts
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 02:07
The Town of Berck
Sarashia
Mayor Hagos stood beside Sarashia at the town square, a smile on his weathered face. “I can’t thank you enough for the help in making sure that everyone is okay after that storm last night, Creator knows I’m getting too old to go and check on everyone myself.” He wiggled his cane a bit to get it unstuck from the mud and started walking slowly towards the town gate. He had a short wiry build, from many years working the fields and not quite enough food to go around as of late. “If only we could get some different crops growing out here, I don’t think the soil will be able to take much more before it becomes barren. Too bad no traders can make it up here…” he trails off as he looks out down the path where the trade caravans used to come from.

Eso Tar
You wake up wet and cold on a sandy beach with a pounding headache. The previous night comes back to you in flashes, your men turning on you, fighting against you as the storm picks up. Suddenly you topple overboard and the waves pull you away from the ship as you do your best to keep your head above the water. The last thing you remember is seeing land in the distance and trying to swim there.

A small girl’s face pokes into your view as she looks at you curiously for a moment. The girl can’t be more than six or seven, with shoulder length unruly dark hair, blue eyes, and a dark tan look to her skin. Once she realizes that you’re awake and looking at her she falls back out of view for a second startled with a quick “Aah!” followed by her yelling “MOM! I found someone over here!” She leans back into your view and tells you “Don’t worry mister, we have a good healer here, you’ll be okay!”

If Eso looks around he can spot what looks like a few small boats pulled up out of the water with one of them looking fairly damaged and various fishing gear scattered around the beach, and a reasonably tall woman coming towards him.

Adriannu
The past few days were a bit rougher for sailing due to the building storm that had finally come to a head the previous night. Come the morning she could see the shoreline of Berck and make out not only some people on the shore, but also another ship coming into the bay as well!

Lehava
The sea had been rough the previous night as the waves swelled and rocked the ship back and forth. The captain from Khasut had told her Berck was as far as he would take her, and it seems like the journey was just about over, as the captain pointed out a shoreline in the distance. “That’s your stop, as soon as we get close enough you’re off this ship and I’m getting out of this god forsaken husk of a nation” he grunted at her. If she really squinted she could see what looked like people on the shoreline, and another boat in the water!

Stefan/Katrina
The trees were finally starting to give away to open area, and manmade at that, a sure sign that the long journey was coming to an end. Everyone in the caravan was grateful for that as the storm the night before had made for a very slow and mucky journey this morning. The caravan master was mulling in his head just how exactly he had been convinced to take Stefan and Katrina all the way into Ancalia. Admittedly they had been good company, and somehow on every stop along the way he managed to come away from there with more goods or money then he expected. “Looks like we’re real close now, hope you two find what you’re looking for out here” He mentions to them as he looks back at them.
Sarashia Nylan
 player, 3 posts
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 09:01
The Town of Berck
Sarashia smiles gently, the worry lines around her face smoothing out somewhat as she looks out over the fields.

"Yes my friend it would but even if I could do that I am unsure how much it would help.  The storm did far more damage to the people than can be seen.  They begin to doubt that the world has not turned against them.  If the tide of events does not turn soon there will be none left to harvest the crops and all the potions and cures I can concoct will not change that simple reality.  I have prayed but the gods do not answer even though all the devils of the hells are abroad in our land.  I will meditate tonight and seek to return life to the fields but we need to return life to the hearts of our people, we need a victory against the devils that wander our land and none have managed to stand against them."

She pauses and glances around and when she speaks again her voice is low.

"Our land is dead now.  It government is gone, its capital deserted if the refugees which team the streets are to be believed.  We must build from here or we will disappear as ash and the people must be the core of our actions."
Stefan Bashaldi
 player, 8 posts
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 09:51
Re: The Town of Berck
Storyteller:
“Looks like we’re real close now, hope you two find what you’re looking for out here” He mentions to them as he looks back at them.


"As do I!" Stefan answers the caravan master with a grin. "Can't say I know quite what that is yet-- I only go where the winds blow me, with nary an idea what awaits me here in Ancalia!" he pauses, rubbing his chin as he muses to himself. "They say there's opportunities to be found amidst the land's turmoil... perhaps there's word of other explorers passing through Berck. Curious to get an idea what sort of things they dig up from the ruins..." Stefan trails off, before turning back to the caravan master. "Well, much obliged! Safe journeys on your way back."

Stefan hops down from the wagon they'd been riding, stretching his legs. He's eager to explore his new surroundings, but his interest's also been piqued by one of his traveling companions, and not just for the obvious reasons. Some of it's professional interest-- those songs of Katrina's strike Stefan as rather formal compared to the bawdy lyrics of the free-spirited Balshaldis, but she's a voice that would put the finest of his tribe to shame! But there's something curious about her beyond that, she hardly seems like a typical treasure hunter...

"And what of you, my lady?" he asks Katrina, offering a hand to help her down from the wagon. "Any plans for your first move?"
Adriannu, the Cleanser
 player, 7 posts
Wed 18 Jan 2017
at 23:31
Re: The Town of Berck
  Adriannu groaned as she rose from fitful sleep, stretching and hearing various joints popping from the comparatively-uncomfortable bunk.  Boats were not fun, especially when being tossed up and down and left and right by waves and angry wind.  At least the storm was now passed and, even better, they had made it within easy sight of shore.  To her surprise, as she blinked in the sunlight, she could see another boat coming in.  'Strange.  From what I've heard this place repels more people than it draws in.'  The more she thought about it, though, the more likely it was the storm that drew people here.  After all, a port of any kind is better than the wilds of a broken world.

  She retreated back into her cabin, sorting what few belongings she had kept in tow with her.  Out of habit, Adriannu took a look at herself in the mirror, wincing a bit.  She had darker circles under her eyes than usual and her hair was a little rough from the night, not to mention her complexion was a bit worse for wear.  She ran her fingers through her hair and tied it back for now, at least doing something with it.  The rest would require a proper night's sleep on dry land and a bath, maybe a hot meal.
Eso Tar
 player, 8 posts
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 07:49
Re: The Town of Berck
Eso does his best to remain laying down and calm, hesitantly testing out the ability to move both fingers and toes... then possibly slowly testing out his hands and giving his body a once-over. Despite this inspection effort, he makes no move to sit up or stand-- He didn't want to alarm these people, and he might very well NEED the medical attention. It WAS a wonder he was alive after all.
Katrina Moriah Adamant
 player, 9 posts
Thu 19 Jan 2017
at 18:29
Re: The Town of Berck
Stefan Bashaldi:
Stefan hops down from the wagon they'd been riding, stretching his legs. He's eager to explore his new surroundings, but his interest's also been piqued by one of his traveling companions, and not just for the obvious reasons. Some of it's professional interest-- those songs of Katrina's strike Stefan as rather formal compared to the bawdy lyrics of the free-spirited Balshaldis, but she's a voice that would put the finest of his tribe to shame! But there's something curious about her beyond that, she hardly seems like a typical treasure hunter...

"And what of you, my lady?" he asks Katrina, offering a hand to help her down from the wagon. "Any plans for your first move?"


Stefan had made something of an impression on her in the last few days, he was handsome, charming, and extremely persuasive.  Perhaps even more persuasive then she wanted him to be, she had a feeling he was something of a rogue, and that his silver tongue might get her into trouble if she let it.  There was something else about him, she wasn't sure what it was, but sometimes he was easy to notice and other times hard..

He confused her a bit, but she found that he was good company and she rather liked him.  "I came here to hunt for my family, at least to find out what may have happened to them, and help them if possible.  But a bit of treasure hunting is not out of question, if you don't mind my company"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:36, Thu 19 Jan.

Stefan Bashaldi
 player, 10 posts
Sun 22 Jan 2017
at 03:16
Re: The Town of Berck
"I'd be delighted." Stefan replies. "Of course, the fortune-hunting can wait if your family's in trouble. Any word of their circumstances?"

He glances down the road, towards the town square. "Either way, seems we ought to find out what's going on in town, and scrounge up some lodgings..."
Storyteller
 GM, 21 posts
Sun 29 Jan 2017
at 21:30
Re: The Town of Berck
Sarashia
“Yes, if the people don’t believe in a cause how can they hope to continue surviving and dare I say living a life? I know I pray to the One for some kind of miracle every night, though I feel like I am in the minority in that, why pray if it seems like no one answers? Hagos ponders Sarashia’s remaining words for a moment, “But where do we even begin to rebuild? The farms, the houses, the boats? I just feel so out of my depth…” If you look out along the road you can see what you think is a small caravan coming up towards them.

Eso Tar
You hear someone come up the beach towards you and the sounds of the little girl protesting as she was pulled away from him. The family resemblance between this woman and her child is easily seen, as she quickly gives Eso a once over.

“Okay, I don’t see any blood or obvious broken bones, do you want a hand up? We can take you to see the healer.” she asks as she offers him a hand.

“I’m Bathsheba by the way, who are you? And is that ship out in the water yours?” She questions, nodding towards the ship approaching the shore from the bay.

Adriannu
As your ship approaches the shore the other one seems to move toward leaving the bay. You can make out the people on shore now a bit better, it looks like a woman with her child looking over a man on his back on the shore.

Stefan/Katrina
“You two are far crazier than I, the only reason I’m even in Ancalia is because you two were paying me. Fortune hunting and Family finding, it almost sounds like a story you would hear...” The caravan master laughed and shook his head. “I know I’ll stay for a day to see if there’s anything worth trading around here before we leave.” As you continue on you see two people, a woman and an old man at the entrance of the town looking out towards them as they continue on with their conversation.
Eso Tar
 player, 9 posts
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 00:48
Re: The Town of Berck
Comfort floods through Eso at the lack of visible wounds or indicators of immediate harm to his person. He sighs, and cautiously pushes up into a sitting position without aid. He offers a smile then, and accepts the hand for aid in standing. "Name's Eso... A bit of a miracle at all to even be alive..." The mention of an approaching ship causes his blood to run cold... Rage, fear, and hope all waging battle within him as he turns to look. If it's his ship... The nearby town mentioned would surely soon be under assault. The new Captain would no doubt authorize maximum revelry for his crew, he had to cement their loyalty... Bad as that would be for the locals, it would be far worse if it were assumed and/or suspected that they're harboring Eso (though, as said, his survival was no small miracle, so, such a guess would be  a stretch). If it WAS his ship, and they assumed him dead... Such an oppertunity might present him a chance to reclaim that which was his...

If it proved to be a ship not his own... There were still risks and oppertunies both in abundance. A ship was a ship for a man of his skills.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:07, Mon 30 Jan.

Adriannu, the Cleanser
 player, 8 posts
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 01:06
Re: The Town of Berck
  Adriannu had been focusing on the shoreline, more as a focus for her mind than any further attempt to calm the sickness in her stomach.  If she'd had the power, she'd make the waves far friendlier; unfortunately, such heights were currently out of reach and she'd simply have to see a healer of some sort upon reaching land.  Thankfully that was no longer further than a minute or two away and, as she waited with her solitary bag, far more presentable after a few minutes of habitual preening, she began to really see what kind of wreckage dotted the sand.  There were people, too, although one concerning individual was now sitting up on his own power, to her relief.  The seas were no more forgiving here than the rumors she'd heard about the land surrounding the poor town.

  Then again, what better place to make a new identity for herself?  The ship was about docked now, sails trimmed down and anchor dropping to the water with a great splash as deck hands began preparing the deck for disembarkment.  She swallowed hard as another wave of nausea threatened what little food remained in her stomach, forcing a pleasant smile as she walked, with relief, onto stable land.
Sarashia Nylan
 player, 4 posts
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 08:24
Re: The Town of Berck
Sarashia chuckles.

"This is an age of miracles my friend, most of them against our interests.  However it appears someone has finally sent a miracle that might not be quite as hostile.  Can you see someone is approaching down the road.  Can I suggest we inform the town?  Survivors would be welcome but if they are pursued we will need to have the resources to fight at hand."
Katrina Moriah Adamant
 player, 10 posts
Mon 30 Jan 2017
at 11:52
Re: The Town of Berck
"My present information is years out of date, but my father and brothers were knights of Ancalia, I was hoping that I might be able to find out more here."  She responded responded to Stefan's question, as she looked around taking in the land and the town ahead of them.  She wondered how they were surviving and managing in the torn land that she had been born in, Ancalia was a sadly inflicted land now.  Perhaps she could change that though, with the power that she had been gifted with.

She then looked back at the leader of the caravan giving him a smile and a respectful node.  "And we are grateful for the part you have played in our story, perhaps someday it will become part of a song."  She continued with a wink, she knew the various members of the caravan had enjoyed her singing.
Stefan Bashaldi
 player, 11 posts
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 08:57
Re: The Town of Berck
Stefan remains silent as Katrina speaks, but gives her an encouraging smile. From all he's heard of Ancalia's devastation, the odds her family's safe aren't looking good... but that's no reason to give up hope. Fortune's worked in their favor so far along this journey, better to push on than wallow in doubts...

"Hello!" Stefan greets Sarashia and Hagos pleasantly, as the caravan approaches the gate. From his looks and his speech, it's clear to them he's no Ancalian. "Alas, we're not survivors-- coming from the opposite direction, in fact. Anywhere a traveler can still find a warm meal and a bed around these parts?"
Sarashia Nylan
 player, 5 posts
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 09:33
Re: The Town of Berck
Sarashia lifts one eyebrow speculatively.

"You will excuse us for being doubtful, Ancalia does not allow for mistakes today.  Food and warmth we have in small quantity only.  Given the circumstances can I suggest that you allow me to host you for an hour or so until the elders of the town can be assembled to hear your story?  Travelers are rare enough at this time that everyone will wish to hear your tale so it would be better for you to tell it all at once."
Stefan Bashaldi
 player, 12 posts
Tue 31 Jan 2017
at 20:34
Re: The Town of Berck
"How about it?" Stefan asks Katrina. "Can't say an assembly of elders sounds like my sort of company, but they might know something of your search..."

Glancing back over at Sarashia, Stefan maintains an amiable grin. A more solemn reception than he was hoping for, though understandable under the circumstances. Hopefully he'll find more out here than tired, wary folk...

This message was last edited by the player at 07:26, Thu 09 Feb.

Storyteller
 GM, 22 posts
Sun 5 Feb 2017
at 21:14
Re: The Town of Berck
Sarashia/Stefan/Katrina
"I think you're right Sarashia, Jember and Fana should be informed of this development immediately....and I guess by the time they get assembled word will have traveled around town. You may have quite the audience for your story. I am Hagos Kidane, the Mayor of Berck. The woman beside me is Sarashia. She does speak the truth though, recent times have been hard for us, and we are honestly a little surprised at the fact that we have anyone coming here in the first place. Though it looks like you also brought a caravan with you, perhaps I should speak with him as well and see if there's anything he can help us with." He walks towards the caravan to speak with it's master.

"Sarashia, if you will look after our two new guests for an hour, while I speak with the caravan master here and see about getting everyone rounded up? As much as the storm tested our people the past day, they could use some news of somewhere else."

Eso/Adriannu
Thankfully for Eso the ship that was had just pulled in was not his former ship. A young woman get off the ship and heads towards them.

As Adriannu gets closer to the group, Hawani waves to her, while Bathsheba looks at her carefully. "Well...two people turn up on our shore in one day, what are the chances? What's your business here?"
Katrina Moriah Adamant
 player, 11 posts
Thu 9 Feb 2017
at 00:41
Re: The Town of Berck
"Times are hard for everyone in my homeland from all that I have heard.  Perhaps it might be possible to offer some aid." Katrina responded with an slightly sad smile.
Eso Tar
 player, 10 posts
Thu 9 Feb 2017
at 03:06
Re: The Town of Berck
Eso replies to Bathsheba: "Business? Surviving first and foremost I suppose... Literally washed up on your beach, haven't even the faintest idea where here is."
Stefan Bashaldi
 player, 13 posts
Thu 9 Feb 2017
at 07:54
Re: The Town of Berck
Stefan shrugs noncommitally at Katrina's suggestion. As a stranger here, he hardly feels the same attachment to this land as her. Still, he's got the feeling he'll be poking around in Ancalia for while, ought to do his hosts a good turn...

"Many thanks, we'll do what we can to repay your hospitality." he answers the mayor and Sarashia, giving a short bow. "Our tale has been relatively sedate up to this point, though I've no doubt that's about to change. We'd be interested in hearing more about how you're faring, only scattered tales of Ancalia reach us in the south..."
Adriannu, the Cleanser
 player, 9 posts
Thu 9 Feb 2017
at 18:14
Re: The Town of Berck
  Adriannu smiled and waved cheerily as she approached, dropping her bag in the sand before offering a hand to Eso and help him up.  "My business is to help everyone that I can.  Call me a pilgrim if you'd like, as my end goal is to bring this broken world back together."
Storyteller
 GM, 24 posts
Sat 4 Mar 2017
at 19:13
Re: The Town of Berck
Eso & Adriannu
Bathsheba responds to both Eso Tar and Adriannu in turn, "Eso, you've washed up on the shores of the town of Berck, in the once great nation of Ancalia. We can always use another set of hands around here, things haven't been going to well for us the past few years." Upon hearing Adriannu's words she arches an eyebrow at her. "And that's a VERY ambitious goal you have there of bringing the broken world back together, I'd just settle for being able to live and not just survive at this point. I suppose you should talk to Hagos, he's the Mayor and he should be able to figure out where you're most helpful." and she gestures towards the path that leads off the shores and towards the village before she sets off down it, pulling her daughter along.


Sarashia, Stefan & Katrina
Hagos pauses in his discussion with the Caravan master to look over his shoulder at Stefan, “How we’re faring? Truthfully not too well, we were always a little bit remote in relation to the other towns and cities of Ancalia, but these past five years have made it more and more difficult to find or forage any new supplies. The husks are out there wandering about, and Jember is the only person that can reliably protect himself on his own. Once in awhile we send out a hunting party to try and push the husks back, but it’s only a matter of time before they come back. Though your arrival here with supplies may be just what we needed.”
Adriannu, the Cleanser
 player, 10 posts
Sat 4 Mar 2017
at 21:02
Re: The Town of Berck
  Adriannu felt a grin begin to widen before she cleared her throat, turning and taking a few steps to the water's edge, hands clasped behind her back.  She turned her head to more properly address those that would hear her, particularly Bathsheba before she could walk too far away.

 "Yes, I realize that wanting to help the entirety of the world, especially in this state, is a daunting task, one far beyond the scope of ordinary people."

  She slowly turned, her hands releasing to her sides as she held her head high, hands open.  "But...  Not beyond the scope of say..."  Adriannu's arms slowly rose, and as they did, the water behind her began to change pattern against the waves and wind before she made a pushing-out motion away from her center.  The waves split in two, baring the sand and rocks and debris that had just been obscured by the waters that now stood as walls to a corridor.

"...  A god?"
Eso Tar
 player, 11 posts
Sun 5 Mar 2017
at 16:59
Re: The Town of Berck
"What the..?!" Eso gapes in wonder, shouldering himself subconsciously between Bathsheba and this act of supernatural wonderment in an apparent display of protectiveness. His hand is on the handle of his sheathed sword, overcoat pushed back in readiness for a clean draw. "Witchcraft!" He exhales, ready to bare steel if the self-proclaimed act of Godhood strays even an inch beyond dramatic overture. Eso didn't hold much with divinities beyond lipservice, so, the possibility of one standing right in front of him felt a little too unreal. Easier to denounce it as witchcraft.
Katrina Moriah Adamant
 player, 13 posts
Wed 15 Mar 2017
at 09:26
Re: The Town of Berck
"I'm sorry to hear that,  perhaps, I can offer my aid, since I am here in an attempt to track down my family, I am certainly able to protect myself from the husks and I may be able to assist in other ways as well."