Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 79 posts
Wed 14 Mar 2018
at 18:18
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
14:00

The wind sings softly beyond the glass panels separating the inhabitants of the rail car and the pristine wonders of Aundair.  The densely packed trees of Duskwood out the right windows, slowly waking, green plains to the left.  The sun is out, unhindered by wandering clouds, although the cabin is kept comfortably cool inside.  The dining bell rings, signalling for lunch to begin shortly.  In the standard cart of the Rapelje Continental, many passengers eagerly begin to line up at the door, starving and dying to get in.

A calm, male voice comes up over the resonator crystals, "Good afternoon, dearest patrons.  We will be starting lunch soon.  Please be patient while security double checks everyone's tickets for standard and first-class passengers."  Two members of House Deneith, one of whom is Dragonmarked, enter the Standard cart, checking everyone's tickets.  A third does the same in the First-Class cart.  Those in Steerage are not provided food for this approximately sixteen hour long journey.  Luckily, there are two steerage carts, so the seating isn't so crowded.

Those in the First Class cart will be in the same compartment together, due to space restrictions.

Prices:
Steerage:    13g  8s 3c
Standard:    92g  2s
First-Class: 230g 5s

Sylaerys d'Lyrandar
 The Bloody Storm, 8 posts
 Airship Captain
 "The Bloody Storm"
Wed 21 Mar 2018
at 17:35
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Sylaerys was stretched out in the first-class car, feet propped up over her bag and hat tilted down over her eyes. She honestly wasn't a fan of travelling this way is she was honest. She held nothing against the Lightning Rail, but she liked to feel the wind in her hair and the mist of clouds hitting her face. Being cooped up in the train was not her ideal way to travel, even if it was relatively fast. As such she was planning on doing her best to sleep through the sixteen hour journey. When she heard the the door open and the voice come over the resonator crystals, she let out a little sign as one hand came up and flicked her hat up into it's proper place, revealing that dull green eye scanning the cabin and landing on the Deneith house member checking tickets.

Yawning a little, she shifted to sit up properly in her seat. At the same time she pulled her coat open and reached inside, pulling her ticket from an inner pocket. As she waited for inspector to approach her to check the ticket, she rolled her shoulders and groaned a bit, stretching to work a few knots out. Since she was up properly, might as well have lunch then go back to sleep, she'd paid for it after all.

OOC: Note, Sylaerys shall have paid for Standard Class with her travel credits, and paid the difference to upgrade to First-Class out of her personal (banked) funds.
Victor d'Orien
 player, 2 posts
Fri 23 Mar 2018
at 06:40
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
The door from the dining cart opens abruptly to reveal a young man pulling his chef's apron off.  With his part of the catering service completed, he is finally able to relax like any other normal passenger.  He tosses his apron unto his bag, resting next to the seat assigned to him earlier, and plops down into the cushion with a hard sigh.  Hard to beat an honest day's work in exchange for a first-class seat while traveling along on personal business.

He shows his ticket to the Defenders, making sure to do so with the arm that has his Mark of Passage, just for good measure.  Once they find his verification to be sufficient, he pulls off his chef's hat and wipes the sweat from his brow.  Given the time to cool off from the heat of the oven, he looks around and finally realizes he's not alone.  Wasn't that long ago when he used to work as an assistant to an actual Blade of Orien, and he was reminded that it wasn't very often that they overbooked the first class carts.  And two steerage carts?

"Must be a lot of people headed toward Passage," he says out loud, to no one in particular.  With at least another few hours until arrival, he might as well take the opportunity to mingle with the other passengers.  Noticing the Lyrandar, he addresses her directly as he slips his sunglasses back on, "When it comes time to order, I'd suggest the garlic lemon butter trout, or the elk burgandy.  I can't vouch for the kale-wrapped salmon, as I didn't make it."
Sylaerys d'Lyrandar
 The Bloody Storm, 9 posts
 Airship Captain
 "The Bloody Storm"
Fri 23 Mar 2018
at 20:14
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Once her ticket had been looked over, Sylaerys tucked it back into an inside pocket of her coat. She was only paying the vaguest of attention to the other passengers, taking light note of the comings and goings of people. Though seeing what seemed to be a chef entering, and the Mark on his arm. She wasn't close enough to be able to tell exactly which one, but given he seemed to be on the staff to some extent she could only assume d'Orien, after all she doubted they'd allow non-house members to work the train, their pride and joy, especially not in a position that directly interacted with their guests.

Though she was a little surprised when she was addressed directly, quirking her eyebrow slightly and giving the man a soft smile, "Is that right? Well, I'll have to try the elk burgundy then, not a big fan of fish if I'm honest. And I'll know who to complain too if it's not amazing." Her tone was obviously teasing about the complaining. Truthfully, if it wasn't hardtack, bread and water or dried meat closer to leather than food; traditional last reserves for a ship in other words, she actually wasn't too picky about what she ate.
Victor d'Orien
 player, 3 posts
Mon 26 Mar 2018
at 11:39
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
"I assure you, it will be nothing less than excellent."  Victor hesitates not one second when it comes to his ability in the kitchen, and does so with a smile on his face.  He slides his apron and hat into the bag at his feet, and in the same action pulls out a set of mithril cutlery, setting them on the table before him still in their case.  No use in eating exquisite food with plastic dinnerware, after all.  "There are a great number of people heading to Passage today.  I don't recall any festivals or the like."
Larinz d'Sivis
 player, 5 posts
Wed 28 Mar 2018
at 04:47
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Larinz and Ixunime hurried into the first class cart.  They had run almost the entire way from the forest nearby, where Larinz had secured permission to be at the upcoming Druid festival which would celebrate Lamannia becoming coterminous.  So, they were just late, and not so late that they'd have to walk the entire journey... nor wait for the next train.

Usually, Larniz would have ridden in steerage.  Especially with a jaguar along for the ride.  Nevertheless he was hoping to make application to the school at their destination and wanted to make a good impression on anyone of influence that was traveling in the same direction.  So, his dirty blonde hair was (for a Gnome) kept under control and his clothes were even somewhat fashionable, while still being entirely practical.  He checked his ticket with the guards and looked to join a table not too put off by his jaguar.
Narrator
 GM, 81 posts
Wed 28 Mar 2018
at 18:33
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
The doors from the dining cart open just as the Defender is leaving, five waiters coming through to begin taking orders from the first-class passengers, who of course also have first dibs on everything they have to offer.  The single waiter who comes into the section containing Victor, Sylaerys, and Larinz at first takes a step back upon seeing a jaguar in the cart, but does still enter in order to do his job, although cautiously.
Sylaerys d'Lyrandar
 The Bloody Storm, 10 posts
 Airship Captain
 "The Bloody Storm"
Thu 29 Mar 2018
at 22:49
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
"Well, can't speak for anyone else, but it's work for me," Sylaerys said, truthfully she didn't really know if this above or below average for the train. But she'd take his word for it that it was above average. Her thoughts were twice derailed from the conversation at hand though, first by the entrance of a blond gnome and his jaguar companion. Unlike most she showed no fear or revulsion toward the great feline. She knew people back in the Windwright who bonded with unusual animals, though they usually preferred smaller, agile creatures or ones capable of flight. And truthfully it was a rather pretty feline.

However she did give an audible chuckled when the waiter came in and took a step back at the sight. "Easy mate, pretty sure if the kitty was gonna eat someone, it'd pick one of those plump folks I passed boarding onto the train. Slower, more meat, less work," She said with a teasing smirk on her face. Though she gave her own order, the elk burgundy as was recommended, along with a nice bottle of wine, chef's choice so that it would pair well.

Though once the orders had been placed, she smiled jovially around at the quartet of folks in the cart, counting the feline. "Well, since it seems we'll be sharing each others company for the next..." She pulled out a rather elaborate pocket watch, checking the time on it, "Sixteen-ish hours, no point in not being friendly, I'm Sylaerys." She gave a little inclination of her head to the others, pulling her hat off and tucking it away for the time being.
Melany d'Thuranni
 player, 3 posts
 I'll be the cold darkness
 unseen, uncertain, unsure
Fri 30 Mar 2018
at 02:03
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Two more individuals manage to slip into the compartment, causing it to feel a little bit more crowded.  One is an elven woman, short and curvaceous, with a pretty face and wavy brown hair, wearing a blue satin cocktail dress of all things - hardly practical attire, or one well suited for blending into a crowd.  The edges of a dragonmark are clearly visible on the exposed portions of her chest displayed by the dress's neckline.
   She is accompanied by a taller human woman, with pale porcelain skin, who would almost certainly be thinner as well if not for the bulk of the dark, heavy plated armor covering her.  The two of them manage to navigate the combined space with ease, showing a familiarity with each other's presence and a decided lack of hesitation to intrude on each other's personal space.
   The shorter woman speaks, " Sorry, my dears, I do hope we aren't intruding - we were a little delayed to finding seating arrangements after our arrival - it seems I can't go anywhere without meeting a fan or two who wants to talk my ear off - and by the time we made our way up here, it turned out there's very little seating left.  I don't know what's going on that they'd have so many first class passengers at the moment, but for now, we'll have to crowd in a bit.  My sincerest apologies for any awkwardness or discomfort."  She flashes a wide, beaming smile that seems almost practiced in how easily it takes over her face. "Khazia, darling, I don't suppose you could be a dear and put my bag up overhead? You know how jealous I am of your height."
   Once the luggage is resolved, the two sit down adjacent to each other, the elf woman leaning casually against the human's plated shoulder.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:04, Fri 30 Mar.

Victor d'Orien
 player, 4 posts
Fri 30 Mar 2018
at 20:56
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
As the cart becomes more and more crowded, Victor picks up his bag and stashes it away in thin air.  The vanishing bag thus giving more room for others to use themselves, he then scoots his placement around as needed to accommodate the newcomers.  He does give a second glance at the jaguar, if only because he had never seen one in person before.  He was informed about exactly how many people he would have to cook for, as well as a small collection of animals.  A bit of an animal lover, Victor prepares special meals for them alongside people food.  It's not much work, and often uses the last remaining bits of food anyway.

"A beautiful jaguar you have there," he speaks directly to Larinz.  "I was informed of her arrival on the first-class cart, so I prepared a first-class meal for her, just as I did for my other patrons.  It's prepared in five kilo portions, depending on how hungry she is, and you're welcome to take the remaining portions with you when you step off the train."  Admittedly, he's assuming that this large cat is a she.  Still, he did his research on cooking for large cats (or rather, not cooking, since most of the meat is raw) before preparing the meal.  If it is a male, he'll forgive the misgendering after he tastes the food.

"Sylaerys?  Victor."  As the waiter is going around getting orders, he notices that Sylaerys is getting the chef's choice wine for her meal.  "The elk is paired with Mourvedre, personally sourced straight from Aundair.  Just be careful with that bottle.  As the name suggests, elk burgundy is cooked in, unsurprisingly, burgundy wine.  And brandy.  However as long as you're not aiming to get plastered, you should find the sweet wine to pair well with the stark, savory taste of the elk."

14:09, Today: Victor d'Orien rolled 25 : Knowledge Nature on Jaguars.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:27, Fri 30 Mar.

Kachiko
 player, 1 post
Fri 30 Mar 2018
at 22:01
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Kachiko enters from the doorway leading to steerage after having helped the group she had been traveling with getting settled. Taking note of how full the seats had become, she slips into the nearest seat she could find making sure as not to hit anyone with the invisible scabbard. Lets out a relaxed sigh at the feeling of sitting after a long journey to be here she takes a moment just to look at the other riders before handing her ticket to the person taking tickets.    Putting her braid over her shoulder to have little comfort as she presses back in the seat a bit fascinated at the niceties usually afforded to the upper caste. Taking curiosity in the other riders who seem to be here for many a different reason. Keeping a bit to herself noticing everyone had seemed to start introducing themselves she would probably wait until someone had taken notice or just leave her be.
Larinz d'Sivis
 player, 6 posts
Wed 4 Apr 2018
at 04:58
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Larinz smiled.  He had not expected such good treatment for Exumine.  "She is a she, and I thank you for taking thought for her, master chef."  He said to the man.  "If she were going to eat any person, it would only be on command - she is very well trained."  He left the possibility as a hypothetical rather than confirming that she had in fact killed.

Larinz ordered the elk burgundy from the waiter.  He had eaten Elk, but never prepared in such a careful manner and he was willing to give city-folk a chance in the realm of food as much as in anything else.  His mission not being secret, and his personal business being at his own discretion he did not mind spending some "secrets" to build some camaraderie.  "I've got a delivery to make for the house, and then I'll be making application for study at the Academy,"  He advertised to anyone who was looking to make conversation.
Sylaerys d'Lyrandar
 The Bloody Storm, 11 posts
 Airship Captain
 "The Bloody Storm"
Thu 5 Apr 2018
at 04:34
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Sylaerys couldn't help enjoying the odd collection of folks that seemed to be in the train car. If she was honest with herself, it was one of the reasons she liked being on a ship, the travel, getting to see new places and people and to try new things. She chuckled a little at the entrance of the elf and human, Khazia. She thought maybe the elf looked familiar, but she honestly couldn't place it. Still, she just smiled and nodded, she'd been in more cramped quarters so even with the many numerous people in the car she was still rather comfortable. She also roved her eye over the other human female, though far different in appearance from the first. She looked rather interesting and definitely not from around anywhere near here, that was for sure.

Looking to Victor she nodded a little, "Ah lovely, I do so enjoy the sweeter wines. Though I will keep that in mind to be careful of getting a little too tipsy between the food and drink." Turning her head toward the gnome she laughed softly, "Well that's good to hear, she is a rather lovely animal I must say." She did make a note of his use of 'house', so that made for d'Sivis and another house in the little group.

Still, trying to be friendly she let her gaze wander to the newer additions to the section. "Well, since I think we couldn't fit any more people in here if we tried, at least without sharing laps; in the spirit of friendliness, I'm Sylaerys, what about you folks?" She said in her same friendly tone, directed mainly at the elf and human duo; even if she technically knew one of the pairs names it was rude, and the other human who very much stood out.
Melany d'Thuranni
 player, 4 posts
 I'll be the cold darkness
 unseen, uncertain, unsure
Thu 5 Apr 2018
at 17:42
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
The curvy elf maiden projects that same practiced radiant smile as she's acknowledge, her head giving a short nod towards Sylaerys, "Why I would be Dame Melany d'Thuranni of House Thuranni, of course.  I don't know whether to be insulted or relieved that you didn't instantly recognize me - as much as I love the attention, I DO appreciate the respite from signing autographs. I know I'm only a minor star in the grand scheme of things, but some theatre-goers are absolutely obsessive about their favored performers it seems."  She tosses her head back, hair flipping to the opposite side of her face but landing primly and neatly on arrival, and turns to look at the armored human woman accompanying her. "And this would be my lover, Khazia.  She's quite lovely to look at, don't you think? Although I suppose you can't tell with all that armor on, ah well.  You'll have to take my word for it.  Khazia, darling, should you really have your helmet on at a time like this? It seems rude."

   The taller human removes her open-faced helm with a slight roll of her eyes and a long-suffering sigh, revealing delicate cheekbones underneath her fine, porcelain skin. She seems far less talkative than her companion, simply resting the helmet in her lap and giving an acknowledging nod of her own. "Khazia d'Orien. Courier, when I'm not playing bodyguard. Nice to meet you all."
Kachiko
 player, 3 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2018
at 02:44
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
She kind of snaps to attention having just started to take in the others in the cart particularly noticing the people sitting around mainly taking note of the visible marks with a bit of an internal sigh. She had dealt with several Dragonmarked individuals who thought just because of it; They Believed to be higher than her Which lead her to be eager to teach them Privilege comes to those who earn it not because of some mark they were born with. Before Looking over to Sylaerys her sharp green eyes flickering in the light. "I am Kachiko from a land far and away from here. Not as blessed it would seem by several of you here. I work to hone my craft through bodyguard work and the Occasional bit of Adventuring." Turning her attention to the gnome who is apparently the handler of the jaguar in the middle of the room. "She looks like an exceptionally Fierce and proud animal I would hate to be the one on the other side of any such command as you alluded."
Larinz d'Sivis
 player, 8 posts
Sat 7 Apr 2018
at 01:38
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Larinz stood, gesturing for his cat to stay down as she was, lest she further startle the wait staff.  "Larinz d'Sivis,"  He said with a bow.  He kept a straight face when the Thuranni expected to be recognized by a random group of strangers.  He gave a nod to the Orien and smiled at Kachiko.  "I appreciate your work.  Ixumine is my usual guardian: I keep her fed, she keeps me breathing.  I mostly serve as an ambassador and message bearer for my house."

"But I suspect we all have enough of Houses and Duty in our day-to-day lives.  Let's talk of something lighter.  What do you all do with your own time..." He hesitated for a moment glancing at the Thuranni and Orien... "and I mean hobbies, not dalliances."

He reached down and scratched the jaguar's head.  "I myself like to travel through the wild lands, and dabble in the arcane."  He wiggled his finger and a small, wooded hill appeared over his hand.  It was half see-through and the colors were a very fictional looking, but it was nonetheless what it was.  A miniscule but rather recognizable Halfling strode into the wood from a clearing near the top of the hill.  Then there was a crack, a series of thumps, and another crack, coming from spots progressively lower on the hillside.  A puffy cloud of dirt arose from where the last crack had sounded, along with a tinny groan of pain.

Larinz smiled as the silly illusion disappeared.
Kachiko
 The Binded Blade, 7 posts
Sun 8 Apr 2018
at 20:07
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
She turned to the Waiter awaiting to hear the menu having had not heard it if mentioned through her travel from Steerage to First class looking over the waiter with a bit of a tired look and looks at the gentleman with the mark on his arm with the same curiosity. "I Travel near and far to all sorts of lands." She nods before turning to the waiter once more. "I will take the Kale-wrapped salmon." Before turning her full attention back to the quiet person sitting by themselves.
Victor d'Orien
 The Traveler's Eye, 9 posts
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 10:08
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
The overworked waiter shakes his head abruptly and smacks himself on the forehead, pulling out an elegantly drawn menu whose cursive may be mistaken to be have been written by a scion of House Sivis.  He gives a slight bow to the room, "My apologies to everyone.  I should have given the chef's menu in the first place.  Feel free to change your order if you've already made one."  He then presents the menu to the patrons.



~Elk Burgundy~
Talenta elk and pork belly, smoked over Eldeen peachwood for 48 hours.  Elk is then cubed, pork cut into bacon strips and chopped. The elk is seared and slow cooked together with the chopped bacon for 12 hours in burgundy wine and brandy. Topped with sauteed shallots and mushrooms, garnished with green onion.  Served over mashed potato, with a thick slice of rye bread as a sop.

~Oxtail Stew~
A stew consisting of Talenta oxtail, with Eldeen carrot, potato, garlic, leek, tomato, and celery, slow cooked for 16 hours after dancing with bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, onion, and a sprinkle of black peppercorn in a pool of chicken stock.

~Kale-wrapped Salmon~
Galifar salmon left to freely swim in a tank of water taken from Lake Galifar until just before being baked in a wrap of Eldeen kale, drizzled in basil-infused olive oil, sprinkled with fresh-ground black peppercorn, skewered with lemongrass, topped with a slice of fresh, peeled Karrnath lemon, over a bed of Aundair dill sprigs, then wrapped in foil to contain natural moisture.  Served inside foil, with freshly prepared, spicy harissa on the side.

~Garlic Butter Thronehead Trout~
A hefty filet of trout from just south of Thronehold, baked in foil with melted butter poured over top to make a small pool underneath.  Seasoned with fresh-ground salt and peppercorn, brushed with minced garlic, sprinkled with lightly sliced parsley leaves.  Lightly browned after cooking.  Served inside foil to retain natural moisture.

~Two Sides~
Mango Papaya Carrot Soup, Cole Slaw, Slow Roasted Green Beans, Butterkase Stuffed Ghost Peppers

Selection of wines available upon request.


Victor turns to the others and puts his feet up, giving the waiter ample room to regather orders as needed.  "Victor, of House Orien.  Unless I'm on a job for the house, I'm traveling the world.  I'd say that's my true passion.  I get the funds to do this by exploring my other passion, the culinary arts."  Granted, the benefits of being a part of the transportation guild was also a plus, but he figured that this fact would be obvious enough.  He stretches out his arms a bit.  "Sorry if I seem a bit tired.  I've been on my feet all day, long before anyone else stepped onto the train.  Really, we all have been working hard," he says, gesturing to the waiter, "But that's because I expect my staff to work eighty percent as hard as me."
Sylaerys d'Lyrandar
 The Bloody Storm, 12 posts
 Airship Captain
 "The Bloody Storm"
Mon 9 Apr 2018
at 21:13
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Sylaerys grinned happily as all the introductions were made properly, "Well, it's a pleasure to meet all of you." There was no hint of dishonesty in her tone, she seemed to genuinely enjoy meeting the strange assortment of people. Her attention seemed to swivel between each person, taking them and their words in as quickly as she could. Looking to Melany she seemed to ponder on something for a long moment, "I think I might have seen one of your shows, no wonder I had that odd sense of recognition but couldn't place you. You'll have to forgive if I can't pull to mind details, but if I recall right it was quite enjoyable."

Turning her attention to the rest of the car, she smiled and chuckled a little, "It would seem several of us enjoy travel. Admittedly mine tends to be interwoven with house duties, but if I'm honest, I don't mind. There's nothing I've found that quite beats flying the open skies. But outside of that, I spend most of my free time enjoying good food, drink and company..." There was a sense that 'company' might have been a polite way of saying short-term romantic conquests, "I also dabble in ship design, but that's mostly while drunk." She chuckled softly; sure some day she might try her hand at properly designing an airship for her own personal use, but drunken inspiration was more likely to fall out of the sky than fly.
Larinz d'Sivis
 player, 9 posts
Fri 13 Apr 2018
at 03:17
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Larinz reaffirmed his burgundy order before continuing conversation.  "Airships!  Interesting.  I used to know a bit about that kind of thing... but it was how they worked pre-dance.  Besides that I traded most of that kind of knowledge away in the time leading up to the Dance and in those first few months following it to make some pacts with the fey.  I'd like to hear how they are working now... or how the magic's been adapted to do it.  Feel free to keep it vague enough that no one in your house is duty-bound to come hunt me down, though."
Kachiko
 The Binded Blade, 12 posts
Wed 18 Apr 2018
at 01:50
Dravago 3rd, 1065 YK: Lightning Rail, Fairhaven to Passage
Kachiko stops and thinks for a short while before deciding to switch to the Ox-Tail stew. "I will change my order to the Ox-Tail Stew it does sound interesting and since we have such a duration. I will take a glass of wine at the recommendation of Victor." Listening to the speech of airships and the good company she just closes her eyes and remembers home. Listening intently to the others conversation relaxing back into the seat.