[000] Of Beginnings.   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Peter Stewart
 player, 25 posts
 Charisma 1
Thu 6 Jul 2017
at 14:22
Of Beginnings
Peter recoils back onto the deck, clutching his bloodied nose.
Game Master
 GM, 64 posts
Fri 7 Jul 2017
at 23:17
Of Beginnings
The pirate ship slows suddenly, practically to a stand-still, and suddenly the Liberte de la Mer explodes forward, breaking away from her pursuer.

OOC: At this point, it's pretty much up to you guys. On the one hand, you can flee the pirates. On the other, you can go back and fight them (keeping in mind they have a heavy weapon and you don't). You can also decide whether you want to skip forward to your destination or include a response.

After you've made your decision I will award Character Points.

Peter Stewart
 player, 27 posts
 Charisma 1
Fri 7 Jul 2017
at 23:44
Of Beginnings
Peter rose uneasily. "They're dead in the water. We've escaped!"

ooc: I'm fine with skipping ahead.
Ma Itso Boggs
 player, 30 posts
 Quiet & Observant
 Steady & strong willed
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 01:49
Of Beginnings
So Captain, they seem to have a problem ... and we have an appointment.   He jacks the lever and empties the rifle of bullets, putting them in his pocket.

So how long to port?
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 34 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 02:39
Of Beginnings
   Fox watched as the other ship slowed to a stop, while the Liberte shot forward. "Absolutely perfect!" he cheered. "Well done, everyone."

   He took the Lee-Enfield rifle from where he'd used the railing to steady the weapon and held it in his right hand, a smug grin spread across his lips. "Damn fine work, old girl. he whispered. Not the same as those blighted Turks, but it's good to get some exercise, isn't it?"

   As the enemy ship faded, Fox bent slightly and reached for his cane. For a moment, the Englishman looked like he'd been in his element and moved with the precision of a military man. Now that the fighting was finished, he seemed for a moment to be frail as his weight and his age came back. In grasping the cane, he took a deep breath and stood a little straighter, regaining the comportment of an English gentleman.

   "Captain," he called out, "More speed if you please. The sooner we're away from those pirates, the better we'll all feel."
Patience
 player, 26 posts
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 05:15
Of Beginnings
The cheering is promising, but nevertheless, Patience waits until there have been several minutes of quiet before she climbs out from the lifeboat and back onto the main ship.

"You lot showed them!" she says, happily, entirely unabashed about both spending the battle in hiding, nor the slime that her skirt acquired from the bottom of the lifeboat.
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 36 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 05:23
Of Beginnings
  "Indeed we did, young lady, and thank you for noticing."  Fox smiled. "A little light exercise and target practice are good for the constitution, after all. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll return my rifle to the armoury and prepare myself for dinner this evening."


OOC: I'm fine with moving the narrative along as well.
Ilse Stoica
 player, 10 posts
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 13:54
Of Beginnings
(OOC: Also fine with skipping.)

Once it was clear that they would be making an escape, Ilse lowered her crossbow. She turned to look to her fellow travelers and gave a pleased smile and a nod before noticing the sudden return of the red-headed girl. Had she been hiding in the lifeboat the entire time? Ilse's expression turned to a look of concern.

 "Do you not know how to devend yourselv?" She asked through her rather thick accent.
Peter Stewart
 player, 28 posts
 Charisma 1
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 14:03
Of Beginnings
"I daresay I don't," Peter handed the rifle he'd borrowed back to the captain. "Being attacked by pirates is well beyond my realm of experience. That was the first time I've handled a firearm, but I think I was more than able to damage whatever it is that makes their boat work."
Patience
 player, 27 posts
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 21:02
Of Beginnings
Patience's eyes harden at Ilse's question, and a knife drops into her hand from.. somewhere.  "Try me," she says, sharply.  It seems to take a moment to register Ilse's tone as concern rather than challenge, but as it does, her look softens... at least to a wary suspicion, which is better than the bristling hostility.

"Just never got me hands on a gun, is all.  Get one of 'em close enough, and I'll carve their liver out quick as a cat."
Peter Stewart
 player, 29 posts
 Charisma 1
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 21:09
Of Beginnings
"Good heavens," Peter muttered, swiftly moving away from the women, obviously ill at ease.
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 38 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 21:21
Of Beginnings
   Fox raised a hand, palm out and spoke in a calm voice. "Ladies, please.  Each of us fights in our own fashion, and in the forge of combat, there is no *wrong* way to fight. Let's just be thankful that things didn't get any worse and we managed to escape those bloody pirates before they brought that abominable field gun to bear on us."

   He looked to Stewart with a critical eye. He looks far too young to have fought in the War, He speculated, But at least he knows which end of a rifle to point in the direction of the enemy.  "Mister Stewart, is it? If it is instruction in the use of firearms that you seek, I'd be happy to teach you before we arrive in Alexandria, if you'd like."

   He looked to the others, "I would extend the offer to all of you if you wish. We might not have as much time, but I can give simple lesson tonight before we reach port later this eve." 

This message was last edited by the player at 22:50, Sat 08 July 2017.

Peter Stewart
 player, 30 posts
 Charisma 1
Sat 8 Jul 2017
at 22:22
Of Beginnings
"I thank you for your offer, Professor Fox, but I've neither the temperament nor the aptitude." He looked back towards the pirate vessel, his words urbane. "And though I appreciate so many traveling companions apparently well acquainted with violence while we travel through such lawless seas, I eagerly anticipate a return to civilization."
Patience
 player, 28 posts
Sun 9 Jul 2017
at 04:42
Of Beginnings
Patience smirks.  "That's a wrong way to fight," she says, nodding her chin towards Peter.  "You got to want to win.  Don't you worry," she offers, "We'll watch out for ya."

Her knife vanishes in a quick, practiced movement, as she looks at Artemis curiously.  She wipes her hand across her shirt - quite possibly leaving it a bit dirtier than before - and holds it out in greeting.  "Name's Patience.  Never met a posh quite like you before," she says, a bit ambiguously.  "I'll take that offer."
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 40 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Sun 9 Jul 2017
at 05:43
Of Beginnings
    The big Englishman watched the young woman speak to Mister Stewart in a rather unwomanly fashion and mentally shook his head at the crass words. Definitely not a ... Lady and if it were not for her accent, I would have thought she had more the manners of our 'American cousins' he thought.

   He watched as the woman wiped her hand on her shirt, a strained look crossing Fox's features that became more pronounced for a moment as it was extended in greeting. There was a moment where he seemed to consider something, then his face smoothed into the calm exterior once more as he took the hand and grasped it almost delicately, then firm enough to show that he knew his own strength.

   "Patience, would that be a first or last name, then?" he asked as he held her hand for a moment before letting it go. "Admittedly, I don't often see too many female blighters, but they say God has a unique sense of humour..."

   (OOC: I'm not sure what time of the day it is, but Fox will be instructing the young lady, as well as any others who wish to join for a half hour before dinner, or before they arrive in Alexandria - whichever is closer. The Professor will prove to be a firm but fair teacher, giving praise where needed, and correcting posture, aiming and firing of his own Lee-Enfield rifle. He'll let her fire a few rounds off as well, letting her get an idea of how it feels as it fires, and what to expect should she need to use a rifle in the future.)
Peter Stewart
 player, 31 posts
 Charisma 1
Sun 9 Jul 2017
at 06:21
Of Beginnings
Peter glanced at the now distant pirate vessel. "I sincerely doubt that Sir Preston would have commissioned me if violence were what he was in the market for. From all accounts he's a better judge of character, though I confess I've never met the man in person."

"But my wrong ways have served me well these past forty-three years, and I've little doubt that they'll serve me for forty-three more."

Ma Itso Boggs
 player, 31 posts
 Quiet & Observant
 Steady & strong willed
Sun 9 Jul 2017
at 17:58
Of Beginnings
He comes down and joins the group on the deck with a thin 2 foot by 8 inch case in his left hand.
Good Shot whomever hit the Bridge and stopped them. I wonder if this was coincidence or planned?
Gabriella Conti
 player, 23 posts
Tue 11 Jul 2017
at 02:33
Of Beginnings
Gabby looks at Ilse "That is a unique weapons. I guess all of us are not comfortable with weapons" she says as she looks at the redhead. She puts her pistol into her shoulder bag.
Ilse Stoica
 player, 11 posts
Tue 11 Jul 2017
at 11:01
Of Beginnings
She glanced towards Gabriella for a moment and shook her head. "Not so unique where I come vrom, though where I come vrom, we do not have your rivles." She pointed out.
Game Master
 GM, 69 posts
Tue 11 Jul 2017
at 21:25
Of Beginnings
The captain mutters in unhappy Italian, clearly unhappy.  He scowls at his group of passengers, then grins broadly - a salesman's grin. In his Italian accent Eduardo offers, "Four hours, maybe a little more, si?" Squinting out the port and starboard windows, he nods. "Maybe a bit less, if we're lucky."

Upon Peter's arrival, his eyes widen. "Mio Dio." Fumbling at his pockets, he pulls out an oil-stained rag. "You're bleeding." Such a perceptive man.

He isn't present for the exchange between the passengers, though he seems pleased with himself when he does reappear, wiping his hands on his pants. "Straight course from here," And, upon hearing Fox's offer, suggests, "You can use the boat's rifles. Not much to shoot out here. Fish maybe?" His eyes scan the horizon, then he shrugs. "I have an old barrel you can toss over and shoot at." The Italian shrugs.

OOC: I'll leave this thread open so you lot can continue. Gonna begin working on the next thread in the mean time.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:18, Wed 12 July 2017.

Gabriella Conti
 player, 24 posts
Wed 12 Jul 2017
at 00:55
Of Beginnings
Gabby does translate for those who do not speak Italian. She knows there is not much she can do as far as helping fix the ship.

She looks at Ilse "I have never tired it, I am from Sicily and we tend to use guns I guess. I have a little skill with a pistol as I travel a lot" She says with a smile. "I am a translator, I speak a half dozen languages"

OOC GM Edit: The translation is: "Of course, I'd love toá to help you fix your ship, captain. I'd be glad to help you, captain. That was wonderful work, captain. You're a hero, captain."

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:20, Wed 12 July 2017.

Peter Stewart
 player, 33 posts
 Charisma 1
Wed 12 Jul 2017
at 01:03
Of Beginnings
"I've traveled as far from home as Paris, though that was years ago. J'imagine que mon franšais est assez brutal." This last was spoken in strongly accented French.

ooc: J'imagine que mon franšais est assez brutal. -> I imagine my french is fairly rough.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:03, Wed 12 July 2017.

Patience
 player, 29 posts
Wed 12 Jul 2017
at 01:32
Of Beginnings
Patience shrugs at the question of her name.  "S'pose it must be," she agrees, still watching Artemis appraisingly.  She doesn't try to match the firmness on his shake; rather, when his grip tightens, he feels an instinctive twitch away as if she's afraid he's not going to let go.

Although she rather excitedly hurries to take up one of the rifles as soon as Eduardo makes the offer, she will reluctantly subside if Artemis insists on being the one to get it back out of the case.  She looks to him when the barrel is suggested, clearly having no idea whether shooting at fish or barrels would be better.
Artemis P. Fox, Esq.
 player, 41 posts
 Antiquities Professor
 Cambridge University
Wed 12 Jul 2017
at 03:47
Of Beginnings
   Fox let go of Patience's hand after he'd held it for a moment, but no longer than was socially expected. A Gentleman didn't hold a lady's hand past what was acceptable unless she was family or a person one was courting.

   He looked to where Miss Conti was, having heard her mention that she was fluent in a handful of languages. "Miss Conti, I think with your expertise in languages that when a translation is needed, it would be best if you were the one to help with that sort of thing? I for one would appreciate it - my expertise lies in an earlier area of history - not the modern world, I'm afraid."

   "Now, Miss Patience," He smiled as he began to turn back toward the stern of the Liberte, "... shall we see about this 'shooting fish and barrels?"
Ilse Stoica
 player, 12 posts
Wed 12 Jul 2017
at 11:08
Of Beginnings
Her eyes focused on Gabriella for a moment. "In the Carpathians, if you can't speak at least a half dozen languages, you won't be able to buy your daily bread." She reasoned simply."Though, I do not believe our patron requested my presence for just words. I can only imagine my line of work is difficult to find in the West."