Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 33 posts
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 07:21
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
The village of Cheastead was grateful for the heroes' assistance. With that cursed talisman back in its shrine under the well, the water had returned to normal. In return, the adventurers were given free lodgings at the inn and a free ride on Berny Norde's food cart. It would take them to Elwich in just a couple hours' ride. They left at dawn.

Though the ride was bumpy and uncomfortable, not to mention cramped, it was a lot better than a walk would have been, even on such a beautiful day. Ten miles on foot was no joke. There was also nothing funny about Berny's colorful expletive as he brought his donkey to a halt as quickly as could be done without the cart killing the poor creature.

"Monstrous huge wolves! What're such beasts doing out on the road, and in broad daylight no less? Oooh, they've already killed a man!" On the road ahead, the heroes could see a pair of canid beasts, each as large as a horse, biting at the body of a brown riding horse. A humanoid body was next to them, unmoving. With the commotion the cart made coming to a stop, the monsters turned their heads to the new arrivals and let out growls of warning. Blood dripped from their snouts, and glistened in the morning sun.

[Welcome to Dergon, friends! Roll for initiative!

You face two Dire Wolves, which we can number for ease of reference. Both are around 100' away, next to the bodies of a horse and rider. The road isn't any kind of difficult terrain, though you are starting in a cart, so the short distance of getting out of it would be considered difficult terrain. You're heading North, the sun is in the East, so no one has any disadvantage for the sun being in their eyes.]

This message was last updated by the GM at 17:14, Mon 12 June 2017.

Naeris Rein
 Half-Elf Druid, 29 posts
 HP: 24/24, AC 15
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 17:46
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
Naeris turned to look at the creature's Berny was shouting about. As he confirmed the presence of the dire wolves, Naeris leaped from the cart. In midair his form shifted into the form of a direwolf himself. He ran toward the other wolves and growled a warning of his own.


Initiative: 17
Move: 50 ft worth, toward the wolves
Bonus: Wild Shape: Dire Wolf
Action: Dodge

12:26, Today: Naeris Rein rolled 17,7 using 1d20+2,1d20+2.  Arcana. <-Initiative macro's apparently mislabeled, I'll get that fixed

This message was last edited by the player at 01:19, Tue 13 June 2017.

Tyr Ravensstroke
 Tiefling Roguelock, 9 posts
 Tiefling
 Rogue/Warlock
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 18:09
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
Tyr gets down from the wagon. He doesn't seem to be rushed by the dire wolves. He readies to fire an eldritch blast if they don't back down


Initiative:
14:07, Today: Tyr Ravensstroke rolled 9 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 7.

Ammon Thellere
 Human Warlock, 15 posts
 Former professor
Mon 12 Jun 2017
at 23:55
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
Ammon casts guidance on himself then hops down off the cart and tries to get a clear line of fire on the first wolf. He moves towards them slightly, if possible, to ensure he is in range for an Eldritch blast. His face is dead serious.

Ammon Thellere rolled 15 using 1d20+2.  Initiative.

OOC: *Edited to correct auto-correct*

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:48, Tue 13 June 2017.

Virion Venbalar
 Elf Wizard, 3 posts
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 00:06
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
Stepping from the cart in rather pristinely white robes Virion moves to the side near Ammon likewise getting a good point to cast spells. He was feeling a FireBolt may be in order but would see if the opportunity to do so allowed.


Initiative
17:00, Today: Virion Venbalar rolled 4,1 using 1d20+0,1d20+0 ((4,1)).
Put +3 in wrong spot... Init 7

Krowlan Chainhand
 Dwarf Paladin, 14 posts
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 03:03
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
"Huh?" Krowlan sat up from the back of the cart rubbing his eyes, looking about at the party getting off and preparing themselves for some sort of fight.  "Ah!  Looks like thers fightin to be done! Haha!" He stood up and tried to look over the pack of supplies, but was too short.  With a grunt he hops down from the back of the cart at the ready.  running around to the front to witness the wolves down the road.  Baring his own teeth, the paladin steps in front of the caster, hopping from side to side in anticipation.


Initiative: Krowlan Chainhand rolled 5
It rolled twice for some reason

Panji Harrington
 Human Ranger, 7 posts
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 07:43
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
Panji's dark eyes flew open as their cart came to an abrupt halt. Irritated that her light slumber had been rudely interrupted, her gaze snapped to the beasts Berny pointed out. With a huff, the girl quickly tumbled onto the ground and dashed toward the creatures with her halberd at the ready. The quicker they died, the sooner she get back to sleep. That, and she reasoned it wouldn't be wise to leave such dangerous beasts around to feast on any future travelers.

"These wolves have had a taste of man flesh. They must be put down." she exclaimed to her company, making it quite clear she was going for the kill.

[03:00, Today: Panji Harrington rolled 21,14 using 1d20+2,1d20+2 ((19,12)).
Action/Move: Dash toward the Dire Wolves.]

Dungeon Master
 GM, 44 posts
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 08:41
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
As the heroes exit the cart and Berny works up a good panic, the wolves themselves start toward the newcomers, meeting Panji halfway with Naeris not far behind. The wolves rush the ranger with quick snaps of their jaws, testing at first before each coming in with a lunge from different directions!

[INITIATIVE
21 Panji
17 Naeris
15 Ammon
12 Dire Wolves 1-2
7 Virion
7 Tyr
5 Krowlan

Panji moves 55' closer to the dire wolves (30', doubled for Dash, -5' for exiting the cart).

Naeris shifts into Dire Wolf form and moves 45' closer to the wolves (50', -5' for difficult terrain).

Ammon exits the cart. Do you still want to cast Guidance, or use your action for something else?

The dire wolves each approach 45', close in with Panji, and attack with bites! Wolf 1 critically hits for 11 damage! Wolf 2 gets advantage from Pack Hunter, and bites for 11 damage!

Virion exits the cart and...sounds like he Readies a Firebolt against one of the wolves if he gets a clear shot. Is that right?

Tyr exits the wagon and Readies to fire an Eldritch Bolt if they prove hostile.

Krowlan exits the cart and moves an unspecified distance closer to the wolves (assuming 20' for move distance -5' for exiting the cart).]

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:49, Tue 13 June 2017.

Tyr Ravensstroke
 Tiefling Roguelock, 10 posts
 Tiefling
 Rogue/Warlock
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 11:12
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
Tyr raises his hand at the second wolf and with a muttered word releases a purple blast of energy at it. He waits to see what harm he has casued before deciding if he will blast it again.


Hit: rolled 18 using 1d20+5 with rolls of 13. 
Damage: rolled 9 using 1d10 with rolls of 9. 

Ammon Thellere
 Human Warlock, 17 posts
 Former professor
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 11:57
Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
OOC: And here I thought we were going for a Mexican standoff, lol. If I may revise my action; skip the guidance and just blast either wolf I can hit (given there may be teammates in between me and them). I'll look up how to use the die roller properly; I'm still new to rpol and D&D.

Ammon Thellere rolled 23,5 using 1d20+3,1d20+3 with rolls of 20,2.  Spell Attack

Ammon Thellere rolled 10,11 using 1d10+3,1d10+3 with rolls of 7,8.

So that would be a critical hit dealing 18 damage?

This message was last edited by the player at 11:58, Tue 13 June 2017.

Virion Venbalar
 Elf Wizard, 4 posts
Tue 13 Jun 2017
at 22:35
Re: Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
Dungeon Master:
Virion exits the cart and...sounds like he Readies a Firebolt against one of the wolves if he gets a clear shot. Is that right?


OOC-Correct, I did not want to overstep my initiative since it was established.
Virion Venbalar
 Elf Wizard, 5 posts
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 00:11
Re: Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
With everyone spreading out Virion sees his opening and takes his shot.


17:08, Today: Virion Venbalar rolled 14,23 using 1d20+5,1d20+5 with rolls of 9,18.
If 14 hits...
17:08, Today: Virion Venbalar rolled 8 using 1d10 with rolls of 8.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 49 posts
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 00:35
Re: Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
In the middle of the wolves' charge, a crackling blast of otherworldly energy took the lead wolf right in the eyes, but it just kept its gallop and sank its saber-like teeth at Panji! An instant later, its hide was scorched with a blazing bolt of flame! Another blast, this time a bright purple glow, slammed into the second wolf, earning Tyr a snarl before the thing decided to keep its attention on the enemy before it.

[Ammon critically hits Wolf 1 for 18 damage! Virion just barely hits Wolf 1 for another 8 damage! Tyr hits Wolf 2 for 9 damage!

Go ahead and state your actions, even the ones that come after the wolves, and I'll resolve the ones possible. Also if you want to hold an action, Hold or Delay aren't things anymore. You'll need to move into position and use the Ready action. So basically, lemme know what you wanna do and what'll trigger it, and we'll go from there. Ready gets weird with spellcasters and concentration, but I doubt it'll be an issue right now.]

Krowlan Chainhand
 Dwarf Paladin, 17 posts
Wed 14 Jun 2017
at 22:24
Re: Chapter Three: Heroes Welcome
"Haaaaahaha!" Krowlan runs forward as fast as his legs would take him.  As he neared the wolves and Naeris, he pointed to the healthier of the two wolves and shouted, "Victory or Valhallah!".  As he did, a bright golden chain erupted from his hands and attached itself to the Wolf, solidifying the divine will of his patrons.  The chain wrapped around his arm and seemed to appear from the air, connecting itself to the center of mass that was the Wolf.


Movement: Dash 50ft to Wolves
Bonus Action: Vow of Enmity Wolf 2, grants Krowlan Advantage on all attacks for 1 minute or until dead.