[IC] In Ballarad.   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Game Master
 GM, 131 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Fri 9 Mar 2018
at 16:46
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
Strym:
Now that the tattoo is done, Strym can go back for a cup of tea and a chat with Emerald.


Herdat gives him a fine tattoo of a queb, a feline-headed, furry, snakelike creature prized both for its combat abilities in the arena, as well as its ability to transport large amounts of people on its long, long body.  The smaller queb, wrapped around his arm will let him attach any metallic object there, whether it be a small weapon or tool, or even a metallic cypher, artifact, or oddity.

Tattoo done, he can return to Emerald's laboratory and workshop.  Niall is still there, examining some tangle of fine wires, his powers lifting them and keeping them separate as he untangles them.  He nods at Strym as Emerald pops his head up from a far bench.  He waves Strym over.

"Welcome back, or welcome again?  I've lost track of time a bit.  Well, are you wanting to go back inside the Colossus?  Because there was much in there that sounded fascinating, even groundbreaking.  You were telling me about a relic, an ear.  What else can you tell me about it?"
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 128 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Fri 9 Mar 2018
at 16:48
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"I could advertise for you." Lassa has a big glowing flashy illusion advertising the shop appear in the air showing off her illusions.
Strym
 Seeker, 71 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Fri 9 Mar 2018
at 16:53
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"Yes, I will go back in the Colossus, but before I would like to have a chat with you. Can you tell me more of the bigger artifacts that were found in it? how do they work, how are they transported? If I find one of them, how shall I behave with them?"
Game Master
 GM, 133 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Sun 11 Mar 2018
at 15:18
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
In the Market

Lassa Crim:
"I could advertise for you." Lassa has a big glowing flashy illusion advertising the shop appear in the air showing off her illusions.


The blue-haired merchant strokes his chin, looks somewhat impressed, and nods.  "How long will that last?  All day?  A week?  If it can last at least a day, or at least the part of the day that I'm open, I'll trade you a cypher for that."

--

In Emerald's Workshop

Strym:
"Yes, I will go back in the Colossus, but before I would like to have a chat with you. Can you tell me more of the bigger artifacts that were found in it? how do they work, how are they transported? If I find one of them, how shall I behave with them?"


"Transported?" Emerald says incredulously, almost sputtering.  He regains control of himself when Strym's serious expression doesn't waver.  "Ah, the artifacts. The Eye of Transcendence, the Mouth of Exaltation, the Hand of Fury, these are all well-known.  Body parts of extravagant size that are fixtures of the Colossus, commanding great and unusually-triggered powers.  No one's been able to move one from the room they found it in, so people instead make paths to them.  Each of them do some thing, the Eye shows things, the Mouth speaks many languages, the Hand makes many gestures.  What they do seems to be on some schedule, just not one anyone has figured out.  Some people have spent years studying them, trying to discern patterns.  In their notes, some have found wisdom, power, or great skill.  Others have been... taken by the relics.  It is something you must b careful about, for if too many find out about what you found, they will likely try to take it over.  The Jade Protectors will want to guard it against interference by anyone, the Heritors of the Colossus will do everything to learn about it... and exploit it."
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 129 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Sun 11 Mar 2018
at 15:20
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"As long as I am around I should be able to keep it going. I will do that for you and at the end of the day I will pick out a cypher but then I do need to go. I have friends in the colossus."
Strym
 Seeker, 72 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Sun 11 Mar 2018
at 15:55
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"So, if I'm lucky enough to find one, what would be my best course of action?"
Game Master
 GM, 134 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Mon 12 Mar 2018
at 03:40
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
In the Market

Lassa Crim:
"As long as I am around I should be able to keep it going. I will do that for you and at the end of the day I will pick out a cypher but then I do need to go. I have friends in the colossus."


"Fair, fair, and this sign will draw quite the attention in the dusk!  Very well, draw them in, and I shall give you the cypher you wish."

Lavan will stand by as stall security, and the two of them can spend several hours being advertisements.  When dusk falls, the merchant, having had a steady stream of traffic, will happily give them whichever cypher they wanted set aside for them.

--

In Emerald's Workshop

Strym:
"So, if I'm lucky enough to find one, what would be my best course of action?"


"Oh, by all means mark its location, list your observations, make any note of what it does and in what patterns.  Try to discern what you can learn and if it will impart any abilities.  If you can attempt to change some parameters, or it does so, then see what it does in response to you!  The Eye has awakened visions in others, the Mouth has provided wisdom or given other prophecies.  The Hand has show ancient forms of battle.  But all of this was learned through much study and, well, mostly benevolent prodding with probes."
Strym
 Seeker, 73 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Mon 12 Mar 2018
at 04:05
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"...and once I marked the location and made observations?"
I don't want to improvise and then find myself at risk for being naive.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:06, Mon 12 Mar 2018.

Game Master
 GM, 136 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Mon 12 Mar 2018
at 05:14
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
In Emerald's Workshop

Strym:
"...and once I marked the location and made observations?"
I don't want to improvise and then find myself at risk for being naive.


"I have great interest in such things, and would be pleased to be counted amongst the observers and experimenters.  But!  You might find it prudent to take care that others do not discover the relic independently.  Or at least not without you claiming the site.  If you have friends who can guard, or want to hire those to do so, that would help keep strangers away.  Or maybe you want to welcome strangers, but just make certain your notes aren't stolen and yourself done away with.  If you start sporting new powers, some may guess you've found a new relic, and some... do not take 'no' for an answer," Emerald says earnestly.
Strym
 Seeker, 74 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Mon 12 Mar 2018
at 14:13
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"Where do you claim your discoveries, in case?"
Emerald
Wed 14 Mar 2018
at 15:43
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"There is no central location, really.  Either the Jade Protectorate or the Heiritors would gladly add the location to their places known, but again with that shared knowledge will come one or both groups looking to impress their own agendas upon the relic.  If you've found one, or think you have, and are willing to keep it a secret...  I would pay dearly for uninterrupted access to one," Emerald says, eyes shining.
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 130 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Wed 14 Mar 2018
at 15:50
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"Lavan, do you know what Cypher you want ?"
Lavan Unbreakable
 Glaive, 29 posts
 Tough
 Masters Defense
Wed 14 Mar 2018
at 16:34
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"The healing one!  We're getting fairly banged up in there," he says quickly, scooping up the one in question.  That done, he'll go with Lassa back around the long way to their entrance to the Colossus.
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 131 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Wed 14 Mar 2018
at 16:36
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
Humms to herself as she follows Lavan.

"Probably a good choice, you're right about getting banged up in there."

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:18, Fri 16 Mar 2018.

Strym
 Seeker, 75 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Thu 15 Mar 2018
at 01:56
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
Strym has learnt enough and goes back to the Jade Colossus, looking for his companions.
Game Master
 GM, 140 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Fri 16 Mar 2018
at 09:19
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
After Strym's tattoo and talk with Emerald, and Lassa and Lavan's short stint as Ninth World sign-twirlers, all three can head back to the Colossus in the gathering dusk.

OOC: Please return to the Colossus thread.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:20, Fri 16 Mar 2018.

Game Master
 GM, 153 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Tue 10 Apr 2018
at 16:15
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
Niall has been spending the afternoon and evening studying over Emerald's "prize" with him.  Apparently its little jaunt into the Colossus woke up some other abilities in addition to the ones Emerald implied it had: it could supply power to other devices, and it could awaken dormant functions in otherwise "known" numenera.  But now it also seemed to be able to project images, though for now it mostly seemed to be projecting some sort of star field that definitely doesn't match up with the one seen in the sky around Ballarad.

By eveningtide, Emerald has finally seemed to flag in energy, and grabs a couple of bulbs of something for each of them that turns hot when squeezed, and then is savory when drunk from.

"A marvelous day's work, all told.  My thanks to you, Niall.  May I count on your help on the morrow, or are you headed back in with your compatriots?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:35, Tue 17 Apr 2018.

Niall who Moves the World
 Nano, 63 posts
 Graceful
 Mind Over Matter
Sat 14 Apr 2018
at 10:44
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
Niall accepted the offered bulb with murmured thanks. He squeezed it to activate it's warmth and marveled at its ingenuity, momentarily distracted as he idly wondered about it's mechanism and power source. It took a moment before he realized that Emerald to looking at him expectantly, waiting for an answer to his question.

Niall took a long sip from his bulb to cover his pause while he recalled the other man's question. "MMmm. Wish I had two of me some days. It has indeed been a good day's work, but I think it is time to rejoin my companions. Until next time," He asked, finishing his meal?
Game Master
 GM, 155 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Tue 17 Apr 2018
at 09:34
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"Well then, I have enjoyed your help immensely.  If you come across more objects of interest in the Colossus, I am of course greatly interested in examining them!  I have items to trade for such a privilege, so please keep me in mind!" Emerald says.

With that, Niall can take his leave.  It is evening, and the route to the Colossus in such a way that won't guarantee him being followed by eager scavengers hoping to find a new route in will take a few hours.  It will be full dark, easily, by the time he is able to get there.  Or he could take shelter in one of the town's inns and head out in the morning.
Niall who Moves the World
 Nano, 65 posts
 Graceful
 Mind Over Matter
Thu 19 Apr 2018
at 16:18
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
Niall returned the empty bulb and took his leave of Emerald. Stepping out to the street, he looked in the direction of the colossus and considered the growing darkness and the distance to his target. After a moment's consideration, he decided to find a place to rest for a few hours and make an early start to reach the colossus with the sun.

He walked for a bit, looking for a likely inn, when he remembered Loom, presumably still recuperating at the Five Mouths.  Reorienting himself, he decided that was as good a place to stay as any and he started in that direction. His step was more purposeful now that he had a specific destination in mind, but he still stayed aware of the area around him, keeping an eye for the next height he could reach if necessary.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:21, Thu 19 Apr 2018.

Game Master
 GM, 158 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Sat 21 Apr 2018
at 07:57
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
The Five Mouths is a good inn with decent rooms, and for a shin, you can get a small room with a bed made of a solid block of something soft that seems to keep you warm without a blanket, and a breakfast of grain porridge and crunchy nuts.

That evening before retiring, another shin will get you a good dinner of dossi cheese melted over thick bread with a hearty meat sauce, and a sweet selection of glassfruit and light wine.  The dinner will also come with enough of a portion that the kitchen staff can wrap up the remainder for lunch the next day, should you be out and about.  The common room is where you'll find Loom, sipping her wine, engaging a few people in an amusing story of high adventure about some folk hero known as Gravity Jones.  She wraps up her tale as Niall enters, and she nods at him to sit down by her.

"A day's rest and a night's good sleep should see me almost back to my old self," she says with a toss of her head.  "Are you headed back in tomorrow?  I'd like to go back and see Lassa again, and whatever else I missed during my rather... exciting first day."
Niall who Moves the World
 Nano, 66 posts
 Graceful
 Mind Over Matter
Sun 22 Apr 2018
at 10:20
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
Niall smiles at Loom, glad to see the familiar face. He pays for for his room and board for the night and then takes the seat next to her while he waits for his dinner.

"Looks like you're feeling better," he said, taking in her apparent good mood. "I'm glad to see it. I hope to get an early start and rejoin the rest first thing tomorrow. Will you join me, then?"
Loom
 Glint, 21 posts
 Waste-Hearted Disgrace
 of Charmonde
Wed 25 Apr 2018
at 01:17
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"Most decidedly!" she says, picking up a green, spear-shaped vegetable, and dipping it into a pink sauce before consuming it in one bite.  "A bit of rough-and-tumble isn't going to stop me, not those little camouflaging creatures, not those keltonim, not even scrambling around on that big blue vessel.  Early morning, then, before all the first time-explorers head out?  I'll admit, I only saw your route here through slitted eyes in Lavan's arms; I was a bit out of it."
Niall who Moves the World
 Nano, 67 posts
 Graceful
 Mind Over Matter
Wed 25 Apr 2018
at 13:04
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
"Excellent," Niall replies as his meal arrives and then falls quiet as he eats. Once he finishes his meal, and has the leftovers wrapped for the next day, he turns again towards Loom. "Well, I am full and tired and ready for my bed. Goodnight, and I will see you, all too soon, in the morning."

Niall gathers his belongings, and heads for his room, intending to get at least a few hours sleep before meeting up with Loom and making for the colossus in the very early morning.
Game Master
 GM, 161 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Thu 26 Apr 2018
at 02:27
Re: Returning the Prize to Emerald
A good night's rest, a good morning's breakfast, and you both can be off to the Colossus!  Following the route you'd learned from Emerald, Niall can lead the way around the Colossus and then back again, to discourage pursuit by opportunists.

OOC: Please to the Colossus thread.