[IC] In the Jade Colossus.   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Niall who Moves the World
 Nano, 75 posts
 Graceful
 Mind Over Matter
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 00:02
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
"Forget wrestling it, let's get past it to this relic while it's not looking at us!" Niall says.  "We don't have to destroy it!"
Strym
 Seeker, 134 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 00:16
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
"As you like." Strym uses his ability to walk through walls to pass across the membrane, taking the rope and the box with himself.
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 151 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 00:49
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Rushes past before Strym lets go.
Game Master
 GM, 185 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 10:12
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
The others can rush into the membrane, the thing stretching, deforming, then yielding slowly to them, as if sinking into a vat of thick gel.  After a breathless moment they're through, Strym following after in his own fashion.  Beyond the membrane is a sloping, hexagonal tunnel that stretches to a single, eight-foot tall open hexagon.  That hexagon is part of a large, domed room that is lit with a dim green glow.  Maybe fifty feet wide and roughly hexagonal, there's only one thing in here, the source of the light, a black-and-green oblong object, pointed at one end, a smooth hole in the middle that doesn't show the other side despite its apparent depth.  It's nearly fifteen feet long, and floating in mid air.  There's a wooshing sound and a faint breeze in here.  The object looks somewhat like... an ear?  Except not precisely one you've ever seen on anyone around here.
Strym
 Seeker, 135 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 23:26
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
"Here it is...." Strym approaches, opens his arms wide and... let his consciousness expand.
Game Master
 GM, 186 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Fri 15 Jun 2018
at 07:47
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
There is a tuneless whistling, the honks of the scaled herd animals known as dossi, a high-pitched giggle as if from a baby, a shouting argument in heavily accented Truth, and a crash of water over stones.

Each sound blends into the next as air rushes to the Ear, as if sound is being pulled in from incredible distances away, seemingly at random.  If there were any way to predict where or when the sounds came from, that could give one all sorts of knowledge...
Strym
 Seeker, 136 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Sat 16 Jun 2018
at 00:36
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym walks closer to the Ear.
Game Master
 GM, 187 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Mon 18 Jun 2018
at 03:29
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
As Strym draws closer, he can hear soft, despairing sobs, the crackle of flames, mechanical clanking, a frantic heartbeat, a soft breeze, and a giggle from a small child.

Curiously, color seems to fade from the room the closer you get to the Ear, and you feel very aware of the movement of air around you and the distance to the people behind you.
Strym
 Seeker, 137 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Mon 18 Jun 2018
at 03:39
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym walks even closer, extending his arms towards the Ear (but not touching it). He is exhilarated by the experience.
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 152 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Tue 19 Jun 2018
at 13:05
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Lassa smiles listening to the bits of sound coming in, "Wow, you could form a whole cult based on the bits of knowledge and information coming in here. I wonder if some info even comes from other times or reality."
Game Master
 GM, 188 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Tue 19 Jun 2018
at 14:52
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
As Strym walks closer, a curious thing happens to his perception.  Color fades entirely, then shape and form, depth and texture, sight fades entirely.  But his awareness of where the walls are, how the walls are structured, of where his body is, of where his comrades are, they all remain keen in his awareness, painted by the faint echos of boots against the hard synth floor.

To Lassa's eyes, Strym appears to look the same, just rather enraptured by what he's hearing.

In the swirl of sound around the Ear there is the roar of a massive beast, the sizzle of cooking, a whisper of "...never seen the like before, and I've been exploring here for five years...", a high pitched shriek of wind, the creak of a wooden structure, someone's incredulous voice saying "My god, it's full of stars!", a quiet rumbling purr, an animated chattering in an unknown guttural language, and a deep metallic rasp.
Strym
 Seeker, 138 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Wed 20 Jun 2018
at 00:43
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym slowly, slowly gets his hands closer to the Ear. He is thinking about blending his mind with the Ear to understand better where the many sounds come from.
If everything proceeds without obvious damage or distress, he will actually touch, very gently, the Ear.
Game Master
 GM, 189 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Thu 21 Jun 2018
at 03:54
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym can't feel his body, but he can hear his hand getting closer to the Ear.  A scream of pain, a rush of water, a bubbling liquid, "...going for the kill now, and yes it's Skar'tul's Scarlet Dawn come out on top!", a voice singing a teaching-song in Truth, and two voices seemingly arguing in a chittering tongue.

OOC: Please make me a very good Intellect roll to see if you can discern the origin of the sounds.
Strym
 Seeker, 139 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Fri 22 Jun 2018
at 02:48
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
[OOC 21:47, Today: Strym rolled 17 using 1d20.  Intellect roll.]
Game Master
 GM, 190 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Mon 25 Jun 2018
at 13:36
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym can sense that there's a huge gulf of distance, that sounds are traveling from distances of days, weeks, or even months' journeys away.  You can even get a simple sense of direction.  But some sounds seem to be coming in "higher" or "lower", as if resonating at a frequency not like the others.  It reminds you of some transitions you have made between dimensions.  Possibly they are coming from a world that touches the Ninth, or from a time not now.

Even what you've learned right now is quite enough to give you a headache, but you have an inkling, and in some cases, a direction.  With more time and study, you believe you could find out so much more...
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 153 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Mon 25 Jun 2018
at 13:41
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
"You ok Strym ? You looked really distant for a while."
Strym
 Seeker, 140 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Tue 26 Jun 2018
at 01:50
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym takes out of his pocket the small lidded box that he often checks out and stares in it for a long time, with a happy face, before putting it back in his pocket again. Finally, he makes contact with the Ear in a kind of hug.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:37, Tue 26 June 2018.

Game Master
 GM, 191 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Thu 5 Jul 2018
at 02:50
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym touches the Ear, embraces it, and for a moment Lassa and the others see Strym turn the same green-black of the Colossus itself.  He feels himself completely lose those other, unnecessary senses, the tyranny of touch, sight, smell, and taste, and open himself up fully to sound.  He can hear the positions of Niall's restless knives that shift and circle him, hear the color of Lassa's skin as she speaks, hear the texture of Lavan's armor as he shifts.

Strym understands, for a moment, as long as he is touching the Ear, he becomes one with sound.  A long sigh ripples through him from afar, a ferocious metallic growl shudders his form, a voice chants in a language unfamiliar to his brain but seems to be in tones of anguish (a sensation like an irregular heartbeat), and a nearly intolerable vibration heralds the deep crash of a massive amount of endlessly falling water.


The rest of the cell-like walls of the room seems to ripple with faint light as the sounds pour into the Ear.  Occasionally, Lassa and the others can see faint glimpses of things held within the cells, as if imprisoned in wax...
Strym
 Seeker, 141 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Thu 5 Jul 2018
at 03:04
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym now directs his focus, as far as possible, to the membrane and the biomechanic serpent nearby it, investigating more their nature and function.
Game Master
 GM, 192 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Thu 5 Jul 2018
at 08:18
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym listens, more of him pouring into the realm where sound is all, and can hear the serpent shifting, occasionally striking the membrane.  He can hear something in the membrane, something... alive.  And there is a faint resonance from the serpent, a vibration that doesn't match the air here.  It is not from here.  It is from elsewhere.  The displacement of the air lingers from where it intruded right up... twenty feet up, forty feet over, seventh hexagon.
Strym
 Seeker, 142 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Thu 5 Jul 2018
at 18:44
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
With great effort, Strym detaches himself from the Ear and takes a good look right up... twenty feet up, forty feet over, seventh hexagon.
Game Master
 GM, 193 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Thu 19 Jul 2018
at 07:44
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym can hear the disturbance, like a whistling of wind through rocks that have worn away over centuries of punishing weather.  The sound rushing here has caused a rift, a hole, from one place, one world to another.  The serpent is feeding on the sound that the Ear makes when it strikes the membrane, true, but also the thumps create echoes, create ripples, create... language.  The serpent is speaking across the rift, like an animal who has found good hunting howling to alert its distant pack.

Strym feels more and more of himself spinning into the great funnel, himself spreading out to where the world becomes sound and breath and little else...
Strym
 Seeker, 144 posts
 Rugged
 Steps into Outside
Fri 20 Jul 2018
at 01:40
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym doesn't resistthe lure to steps into the Outside and let it flows through himself, exploring with his mind and his senses the rift to the other space.

[OOC: Dimensional Lore - You are trained in tasks related to knowledge about alternate dimensions. Enabler.
Tryig to make the most of this :) ]

This message was last edited by the player at 01:42, Fri 20 July 2018.

Game Master
 GM, 194 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Fri 27 Jul 2018
at 23:47
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Strym feels himself stretch and flow on the air, vibrating with a new frequency as he finds the harmonics that let him resonate with the rift and slip through.  He can hear the Nest of a Million Serpents, their sussurations sweet music as they hum and slither to the new tune coming across the rift.  As the Strym-sound enters, several raise their heads in surprise.  Here is new music!
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 154 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Sat 28 Jul 2018
at 12:54
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Lassa looks for a place to sit while Strym plays.

While there she looks around for anything interesting that might catch her eye.