[IC] In the Jade Colossus.   Posted by Game Master.Group: 0
Game Master
 GM, 34 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Wed 20 Sep 2017
at 02:21
[IC] In the Jade Colossus
You make your way through Ballarad, gathering whatever is needed along the way.  Your map leads you through the newer, vibrant parts of town, and then through the Wreckage.  For those natives of Ballarad, you might recall what some of these places were: Aunty Minda's Song and Sign, the living statue of the Vibrant Heart (a heroine of legend), Dukthan's Butcher Shop, Veil's Eyes and All, The Tasty Tongue, Harvald's Empty Purse. All destroyed when the Colossus emerged.

You are not the only ones about this afternoon, of course.  There is a brisk pace of travel to and from the Midnight Gate, and more to the Wreckage itself.  While mostly deserted, there are some who cling to their former properties, and others who plan to profit from those properties (particularly those properties where the owner is dead, missing, gone, or indifferent).  Following the map, you angle your way out of town entirely.  Better to circle around and come at the place from the back, rather than risk more than necessary by trying to cut through someone else's claim.

It takes a few hours, but eventually you come around the east of the Colossus, to a place where some long, pale-pink and deep-green grasses, growing to heights of over ten feet, have sprung up along the edges of disturbed earth where the Colossus emerged.  You check the map carefully, watching for the landmarks indicated - a tall, protruding pipe, a jagged tear in the side of the structure, and a pool.

The moon is out by the time you find them (the moon is showing the green band across its face tonight).  The pipe is some thirty feet tall, and large enough in diameter to admit a child, or a slim adult (provided there was much wriggling involved, and maybe some grease).  It's made of black, matte metal, and had erupted out of the Colossus at a crazy, steep angle, as if violently thrust out of it some twenty feet up the side of the structure.  About fifteen feet above the ground and some hundred feet distant from the pipe is the rent, this one a slim, sharp-edged aperture that's maybe six feet tall at its middle.  A short distance away from the rent is the pool, midnight black and smoking, a perfect circle some fifteen feet across.

A thin cry echos eerily as you approach, scattering palm-sized, blue translucent insects with every step.  They emit tiny squeaks, visible as puffs of orange, and dive back into the tufts of grasses.  From above, a shadowy shape flutters across the sky, and dives into the pipe, disappearing in a second.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 02:23, Wed 20 Sept 2017.

Guddus
 Nano, 14 posts
 Obsessive Nano who
 Talks to Machines
Wed 20 Sep 2017
at 13:06
[IC] In the Jade Colossus
As the approach the Colossus Guddus carefully studies each of the landmarks, trying his best to assess the nature of each one. He takes note of the flying creature quickly ducking into the pipe.

"That may very well be the creature Emerald described. He said they were no bigger than a child, as only a child-sized person could fit in that pipe. That would exclude any of us fitting."

He then looks to the rend a short distance away. "That may our best option of entering the Colossus if we can find a way to reach up to the entrance. However, that could potentially take us in a different direction from this pipe, if that is indeed where these creatures are dwelling..."

He turns to Lassa. "Lassa, produce that plane of glass he gave you. I'm not sure if it will pick up the tracker once it's inside the Colossus, but it is worth trying anyway."
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 38 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Wed 20 Sep 2017
at 13:13
[IC] In the Jade Colossus
Lassa nodded and took out the tracking device.

"Should have bought a net to put over the pipe."

She studied the device given to them.
Game Master
 GM, 36 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Wed 20 Sep 2017
at 20:44
[IC] In the Jade Colossus
Lassa examines the glass carefully.  It shows a faint spot of yellow somewhere under the pipe and to the east.  Illuminated around it is some kind of chamber, and off to the east (closer to the rent), some small passage opening into a larger space, the edges of which are not defined.
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 39 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Wed 20 Sep 2017
at 21:03
[IC] In the Jade Colossus
Lassa shows everyone.

"Its still working but we might want to rush. It might not have much power left."
Guddus
 Nano, 15 posts
 Obsessive Nano who
 Talks to Machines
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 00:31
[IC] In the Jade Colossus
He leans over Lassa's shoulder and looks at the display on the glass. "It appears that the opening there..." he points to the rent, "...may actually get us near where the device is indicated. Let's have a look and see if we can find a way to reach up to it. It is twice as high as I am tall, so it may be a challenge."

Guddus wanders over to the rent and investigates the area around it for a possible way of reaching up to it.

17:29, Today: Guddus rolled 19 using 1d20.  Searching area for access to rent.
Niall who Moves the World
 Nano, 10 posts
 Graceful
 Mind Over Matter
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 02:19
[IC] In the Jade Colossus
Niall looks up at the pipe and the rent. "Isn't cloth just a tightly woven net? Does anyone have a large shirt?"

"Getting up the rent won't be a problem. I can jump to it. I could attach a rope for the rest of you to climb."

Game Master
 GM, 37 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 02:20
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Guddus:
He leans over Lassa's shoulder and looks at the display on the glass. "It appears that the opening there..." he points to the rent, "...may actually get us near where the device is indicated. Let's have a look and see if we can find a way to reach up to it. It is twice as high as I am tall, so it may be a challenge."

Guddus wanders over to the rent and investigates the area around it for a possible way of reaching up to it.

17:29, Today: Guddus rolled 19 using 1d20.  Searching area for access to rent.


Guddus examines the side of the Colossus with care, and realizes that while from one angle the wall looks very smooth and far too steep to climb, from the other side, there are actually a set of broad steps that will make for an easy assent.  It's not quite the easy length of a stride for a human; either this was meant for another purpose or these stairs weren't mean for your species.

Looking inside the rent, you can see a long, corridor that penetrates straight into the Colossus.  Near the end, you can see a couple of squares of harsh light, one yellow, one pale green, the only illumination in the space.  The corridor is made of the dark black and green hard synth as the rest of the Colossus, some ten feet wide, the ceilings coming to a sharp point fifteen feet above.  Tiny ticking sounds echo from somewhere inside.
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 40 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 09:13
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Lassa climbed the broad steps.
"I wish we could learn more about numenera like the colossus. Like who made it and why. It sure is a pretty color." she looks around for any loose peices of it.

"Niall, I have a cloak. Could you really jump that high ?"
Lavan Unbreakable
 Glaive, 6 posts
 Tough
 Masters Defense
Thu 21 Sep 2017
at 16:35
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Lavan looks over the possible climb.  "Too steep.  Take the stairs."
Niall who Moves the World
 Nano, 11 posts
 Graceful
 Mind Over Matter
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 02:58
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Niall follows Lassa up the stairs looking around curiously. The pebbles scattered to the side of the stairs rattle in his wake.

He shrugs, "That's not all that high. I've jumped five or six times that height, though it really does help to have something to land on."
Guddus
 Nano, 16 posts
 Obsessive Nano who
 Talks to Machines
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 03:07
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Guddus grins at Niall as he follows him up the steps apparently made for a lesser giant.

"That I would like to see, Niall. Perhaps we'll get an opportunity to witness it at some point during this adventure, yes?"

He climbs the steps with perhaps a little less ease than the others, even with the long legs of his 7 foot high frame. "At least these kept us from having to use Lassa's cloak to climb up to the opening."
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 41 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 05:45
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
"This is true, I rather like my cloak. Isn't this exciting though ? I mean of all the people adventuring in the Jade Colossus, Emerald chose us to turn too."

Lassa will seek out those squares of light to see what they might be.
Game Master
 GM, 38 posts
 Storyteller
 Keeper of the Weird
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 13:51
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
The corridor has faint grooves in the walls, only visible in the light from the entry.  You'll need some other light if you hope to see everything clearly.  Hopefully someone illuminates a glowglobe, which throws back the strange color of the Colossus.  You walk down to the squares of light, the faint ticking sound growing neither louder nor softer as you walk.  About thirty feet down the corridor, there are the two places of light.  On the east side is a yellow square of light, six feet square, a scintillating plane of opaque energy.  Around it the grooves in the walls have formed into curls, whorls, dots, and spirals, some with different colors in the grooves.  A little further down on the west side is the pale green light, a six foot high oblong, four feet wide at the middle, a glowing membrane with a faint whiff of spice about it.  The grooves on that side of the wall continue their straight path to where the corridor ends (some twenty feet further along).  But alongside the membrane are some pale white fungi and organic nodules that seem to have emerged from the walls.
Lassa Crim
 Jack, 42 posts
 Might 12 Speed 12
 Intellect 14
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 14:03
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
"Do you suppose these grooves and whorls were a language or just decoration ?" She examines them to see if they seem to have a pattern or scheme suggesting one or the other."

After that she looks at the tracking device again.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:08, Fri 22 Sept 2017.

Lavan Unbreakable
 Glaive, 7 posts
 Tough
 Masters Defense
Fri 22 Sep 2017
at 15:05
Re: [IC] In the Jade Colossus
Lavan will light a glowglobe.