Session #1: A Lesson in Weeding.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 103 posts
Thu 19 Oct 2017
at 23:56
Re: Session #1
The goblin is tied up and looks at the group with mouth open. "No! NO! You can't just drag me around everywhere like a dog. I'd rather you just kill me!" The goblin sulks and answers Istvan begrudgingly "I have a name you know. I don't know, Varon, Viserion, what's the difference. They don't pay me to know. They did say the Elf couldn't really be trusted. Me and the other goblin's were joking about shanking him after, Weedy didn't like that. Besides I don't think this was the only thing we came here for, mother would let us know what to do with the information we got."
Istvan Vanoson
 player, 85 posts
 HP: 23/23
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 00:15
Re: Session #1
In reply to DM (msg # 127):

"Couldn't really be... trusted...?" Istvan thinks about this. "Well if Walter didn't like the idea of killing this elf, then that's good enough for me... But what the heck is going on...?"
Dame Helena Fletcher
 player, 99 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 00:58
Re: Session #1
"Fine, stay here, tied up. Fledge, let's get on back, I can say a few words and we can cremate your friends. Istvan, thinkin' about all this ain't gonna answer anything; doing things will, and it don't much matter what. C'mon, those as are comin' to the funeral."
Istvan Vanoson
 player, 86 posts
 HP: 23/23
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 01:36
Re: Session #1
In reply to Dame Helena Fletcher (msg # 129):

"Yeah, okay... I'm not leaving him here where we can't keep an eye on 'im, though..." Istvan started dragging the goblin by its good leg. "C'mon, you... what is your name, anyway?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:36, Fri 20 Oct 2017.

DM
 GM, 105 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 01:59
Re: Session #1
A pained "Grek" is heard in reply as you drag him and the group back to the bodies of the halflings. They are just as you left them.
Dame Helena Fletcher
 player, 101 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 02:48
Re: Session #1
It's not my first funeral, sad to say. I piece together a few lines that have stuck with me and seem to apply.

I conclude: "I didn't know these fellas, but their passing, rather than bein' an endin' is a start. It will end when we are able to give their deaths some meanin'."

I make the Sign. "Fledge, or anyone may say a few words. Then Cinderclaw, if y'would do the honors?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:53, Fri 20 Oct 2017.

Cinderclaw
 player, 52 posts
 Fierce Fire, Fiuid Flame
 All Is Mine To Claim
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 10:07
Re: Session #1
Cinder was disappointed, not just by the fact they would not be ending the Goblin's life, but by the fact the entire situation could not be resolved in this instant.  He had no idea who this Elf the Goblin spoke of was, but to his mind, it would be pointless trying to discern anything as they did not have much information to act upon.  Either the Elf would turn up eventually, or the Elf had already made an appearance and was watching everything from afar.

Regardless of how close the Elf might be, the Elf was about providing information to these Goblins, which indicated to Cinder that he was in league with them in some way.  If that were the case, why would he expose himself to any other than the Goblins he was here to meet?  With an internal sigh, Cinder kept his own council, and simply nodded in reply to Dame Helena.
Viserion of the Wood
 player, 43 posts
 Elf of the forest islands
 HP-21/21, Armor=1
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 14:39
Re: Session #1
In reply to Dame Helena Fletcher (msg # 132):

Once the bodies are respectfully prepared, and Fledge gives his approval Viserion will help dig the graves. Assuming they where to be buried here in the first place. Then Viserion will touch the ground where the bodies are now interred, and speak.

"Those who come from the land must return to it. They will nourish the soil, allowing growth, and be one with wind, soil, fire, and sky. For death is but an illusion as long as the cycle keeps going from age to age. The land thanks those who grieve, and will show its gratitude in the new life that comes back to the bereaved."
Dame Helena Fletcher
 player, 104 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 14:47
Re: Session #1
In reply to Viserion of the Wood (msg # 134):

I help Viserion dig gaves to scoop the ashes into. Better that than let them blow away on the strange breezes.

Then I make the Sign again and take up Petey and my shield. I look to Viserion and make an "after you" gesture.
DM
 GM, 109 posts
Fri 20 Oct 2017
at 22:18
Re: Session #1
The afternoon continues without hair or hide of another elf or goblin. If it wasn't for the proceedings it would make for a calm day. It dawns on you all that you will have to make plans for the night before heading off to solve the tangle of mysteries you have set before you.
What is the immediate plan for the night?
Istvan Vanoson
 player, 89 posts
 HP: 23/23
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 11:42
Re: Session #1
In reply to DM (msg # 136):

Istvan says "Maybe we should camp out on the highest nearby hilltop where we can see trouble coming? I'll take first watch...?"
Dame Helena Fletcher
 player, 108 posts
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 15:44
Re: Session #1
In reply to Istvan Vanoson (msg # 137):

I nod, and head that waytoward higher ground. After a bit, I fall back so's I'm next to him and I whisper -'sif I can do aught else - "Have a dose of faith in your ideas. Makin' camp on high ground ain't noways questionable, 'less'n there's lightning or dragons about. I'll take you up on your choice of first watch though. Much obliged."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:15, Sat 21 Oct 2017.

DM
 GM, 110 posts
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 17:31
Re: Session #1
Okay you all are assumed to 'Make Camp'. Istvan takes first watch and it cycles through until morning. Nothing approaches the camp while you sleep luckily, though whoever is taking watch has to deal with the complaining goblin through most of the shifts.
'When you settle in to rest consume a ration. If you’re somewhere dangerous decide the watch order as well. If you have enough XP you may level up. When you wake from at least a few uninterrupted hours of sleep heal damage equal to half your max HP.'

So mark off a ration use (except Viserion who I think doesnt have to eat, right?) and heal appropriately. What's everyone's XP at right now?

DM
 GM, 112 posts
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 23:07
Re: Session #1
I have made the decision to go ahead and end this session here. Go ahead and let us know what bonds(if any) you are changing and what you are changing it to. Let us know if and how you have fufilled your alignment too. As well as giving your opinion on the other questions below:

End of Session

When you reach the end of a session, choose one of your bonds that you feel is resolved (completely explored, no longer relevant, or otherwise). Ask the player of the character you have the bond with if they agree. If they do, mark XP and write a new bond with whomever you wish.

Once bonds have been updated look at your alignment. If you fulfilled that alignment at least once this session, mark XP. Then answer these three questions as a group:

Did we learn something new and important about the world?
Did we overcome a notable monster or enemy?
Did we loot a memorable treasure?
For each “yes” answer everyone marks XP.
Dame Helena Fletcher
 player, 115 posts
Sat 21 Oct 2017
at 23:57
Re: Session #1
In reply to DM (msg # 140):

We learned that there is a fay realm, that can be accessed with the right items and words.

We overcame the magical weed, notable for its placement and its vast growth rate.
Istvan Vanoson
 player, 94 posts
 HP: 23/23
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 01:18
Re: Session #1
In reply to Dame Helena Fletcher (msg # 141):

I agree.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:21, Sun 22 Oct 2017.

DM
 GM, 115 posts
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 01:26
Re: Session #1
Makes sense to me, so as long as noone disagrees with that, go ahead and give yourself those XP.
Cinderclaw
 player, 55 posts
 Fierce Fire, Fiuid Flame
 All Is Mine To Claim
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 09:12
Re: Session #1
I also agree with those suggested.

Now then, here is my problem: I feel that the Bonds I have with Istvan and Viserion have already been resolved, and were before we even started the game, so I don't know if they would actually count as having been resolved for the purpose of XP.

ALIGNMENT: Exchange A Sacrifice, Freely Given, For A Service Rendered
I feel as though this was achieved when Cinder lit the pyre for Fledge's fallen brethren.  In his mind, the Goblin should have been the one to burn and, in not doing so, he believes the two have been sacrificed in service of saving the Goblin.  Does anyone agree?  Take issue?
DM
 GM, 116 posts
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 11:40
Re: Session #1
Well you can change both if you would like, just remember you only get 1 XP for changing bonds. I think the bond with Istvan could have changed especially as a result of you burning up his uncle, and making the funeral pyre. Maybe you think it changed the way Istvan views your flames? How does Cinderclaw think Istvan feels now or what does he want him to feel now?

I don't take issue with having you get the alignment XP for that situation.
Cinderclaw
 player, 56 posts
 Fierce Fire, Fiuid Flame
 All Is Mine To Claim
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 12:57
Re: Session #1
You know, for some reason, I completely forgot about that.  Thank you for reminding me.  Yes, that sounds perfect, and I will change both Bonds, for the reasons I mentioned before.
Fledge
 player, 53 posts
 Veteran Goblin-Hunter
 HP 20/20
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 13:23
Re: Session #1
Resolving Bonds is a two-way street as well, you think they're no longer applicable and the other players does too. That said, Fledge has this bond:

quote:
Cinderclaw has no respect for nature, so I have no respect for him.


I wasn't planning on forcing a resolution but Cinderclaw's actions probably would change the way Fledge feels--they worked together a bit but importantly Cinderclaw helped with the respectful cremation of those murdered halflings. Fledge might think Cinderclaw's fire is dangerous still, but I imagine he has at least some respect for Cinderclaw now.

Cinderclaw, do you think that bond is worth resolving?
Cinderclaw
 player, 57 posts
 Fierce Fire, Fiuid Flame
 All Is Mine To Claim
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 13:41
Re: Session #1
Yes, I would think so.  This is not to change your thoughts about it one way or the other, but I just have to say: Cinder does respect nature, but his flames do not.  In fact, they respect no one and nothing so, it is up to Cinder to determine when they are needed/released.
Fledge
 player, 54 posts
 Veteran Goblin-Hunter
 HP 20/20
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 16:49
Re: Session #1
In reply to Cinderclaw (msg # 148):

Understood, I imagine that until now Fledge hasn't realized that distinction. He's seen enough of Cinderclaw's character to know better now.
Cinderclaw
 player, 58 posts
 Fierce Fire, Fiuid Flame
 All Is Mine To Claim
Sun 22 Oct 2017
at 18:33
Re: Session #1
Yes, that makes total sense to me.

Now then, I will try and come up with some more Bonds, maybe even one for Fledge, but not right now.  I should be able to think clearer tomorrow.
Viserion of the Wood
 player, 46 posts
 Elf of the forest islands
 HP-21/21, Armor=1
Mon 23 Oct 2017
at 17:20
Re: Session #1
In reply to DM (msg # 139):

(OOC:

Yes, I don't use rations-but I carry them in case others require it.

Xp gained:

Bond with Cinderclaw.

The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Cinderclaw.
The fire consumes all if it cannot be quenched.

By Cinderclaw using the fire with control, and by consulting him on his expertise-I am trying to lead him away from the great danger the spirits warned me about him. Assuming Cinderclaw is ok with this statement of course. He has shown me he is not just a flamethrower.

Neutral alignment-dealt with a threat.

Learned something new-Goblins may be in league with elves from faywild.

Dealt with a threat-Goblins and chokeweed.

Loot?-Got magical amulet.

Total possible xp=5)