IH - Lincoln, Sunset.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Bryan Lee
 player, 120 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P6 T6 W0 F0 W1 R1 B1 L0
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 03:17
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
"Fair's fair, Jake, but I'll ain't gonna leave you behind," he responded to Jake. His firestarting device would surely come in handy, and it wasn't the first time he'd faced down something strange along the tinkerer.
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 88 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R0 B1 L0
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 03:45
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Jacinta poked her head up above the stairs and then ducked back down quickly.  Ducking low, she whispered to Albert.  "There's a creature -- a big one -- upstairs in the hallway.  I think the children should stay down here and hide.  We need the lantern.  Fire worked against the little ones.  I'm thinking it'll probably work against the big one."  She pulled rounds from her belt and reloaded her rifle.
Jake McGraw
 player, 106 posts
 Mad Engineer
 P5 T4 W0 F0 W1 R2
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 03:46
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
"Fair enough." Jake says, scanning the burning room for the next wave of critters.

((OOC: 20:45, Today: Jake McGraw rolled 7,2 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,2.  Notice.))
Albert Cooper
 player, 108 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Fri 8 Jun 2018
at 19:41
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Albert nodded at Jacinta's thoughts. He really wanted to go make sure Kate was doing alright, but the kids appeared to need him. Time to trust his new friends. "Okay - I'll stay here with the kids. Least I'm a face they can recognize."

He raised an eyebrow. "Don't ferget 'bout that bullet I gave ya. Might pack a little extra punch. An mebbe I gotta another little present fer ya." His eyes and fingers crackled with energy as Albert touched the rounds Jacinta pulled from her belt, as well as the belt itself.


OOC: Albert casts Smite on Jacinta's ammo. It affects up to 20 shells and will provide +4 damage to every shot she takes. As Albert again got a raise, the PP cost is only 1. He still has 5/10 PP remaining.

12:35, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 5,9 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 5,(6+3)9.  Hexsling (Smite).


"Now everything's gotta little more punch. Go get 'em."

He turned to the children. "Alright, youngsters. We're gonna hold tight fer a pinch. Once we get the all-clear, we'll getcha back ta yer families, okay?"

Edit: I'm not sure if the lantern came with us as we left or not. If not, Albert will wait to cast his spell until it's been retrieved.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:43, Fri 08 June.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 89 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R0 B1 L0
Sat 9 Jun 2018
at 18:48
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
"Santa Madre!"  Jacinta's eyes widened at Albert's overt use of what she could only describe as magic.  After staring at him for a moment longer, she finally nodded, said a quiet 'gracias' in thanks, and crept back up the stairs, rifle at the ready.  She crossed herself before disappearing upstairs.
Marshal
 GM, 216 posts
 W7 R1 B0
Sat 9 Jun 2018
at 18:49
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
13:20, Today: Marshal rolled 3,3 using 1d6+2,1d6+2, rerolling max with rolls of 1,1.  Vigor - Stalkers.

Neither of the creatures that have been recently put down stir from where they lie. The vines continue to snake around them, seemingly working to restore them from their injuries.

McGraw notices that the vines at his feet begin to writhe violently. The engineer’s sharp eyes prevent him from being caught off guard when the creature that had disappeared springs out of the mass of weeds at him, its claws extended. Nonetheless, its attack is savage, ripping at the inventor’s chest with its talons.

13:24, Today: Marshal rolled 15 using 1d8, rerolling max with rolls of (8+7)15.  Fighting - Stalker.

13:25, Today: Marshal rolled 2,3,3 using 1d6,1d4,1d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3,3.  Damage - Stalker.

Total Damage: 8


The other remaining creature, its initial charge at Cooper foiled by the man’s quick reflexes, pursues him and the fleeing children up the slope to the cellar.

The stalker’s move will take it up to the cellar door. It’s clearly visible both to Cooper and to those still in the cradle.

13:48, Today: Marshal drew the single card: 6S using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative - Stalkers.

Initiative Order

KH - Stalkers
JH - Jake McGraw
10D - Bryan Lee
9D - Albert Cooper

Albert, since you’re remaining with the children, as opposed to moving upstairs, I’m going to keep you as part of this scene’s initiative order.

I’ll say that Cooper was able to snag one of the lanterns when he made his way up with Castillo and the children. McGraw and Lee don’t need the light source. There’s currently plenty of fire to illuminate the area below.

Two stalkers are on the ground, put out of action by successful attacks. Neither has yet regenerated.

Two stalkers are active. One is at the cellar door, the other within a couple of feet of Jake McGraw.

The stalkers have a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 6.


The stalker’s attack on McGraw leaves him shaken with 1 wound. The engineer can make a soak roll, if desired.

Two stalkers have been destroyed by fire.

A circle of flame, approximately three feet in diameter, remains present on the left side of the room. A second circle, closer to four feet in diameter now occupies the center of the cradle. The flames that make up the second circle are gaining strength.


Your turn, Mr. McGraw.
Jake McGraw
 player, 107 posts
 Mad Engineer
 P5 T4 W0 F0 W1 R2
Sat 9 Jun 2018
at 23:26
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Jake yelped as the thing slashed up his shirt, scoring a series of long cuts across his chest. But he'd jumped just in time, and the thing didn't score more than a flesh wound. "You son of a..." Jake cursed and turned his makeshift flamethrower on the thing, hosing it down with flaming, poisonous goop and giving it an extra squirt for good measure.


((OOC: Ouch. Spending a white for a Soak roll.

16:13, Today: Jake McGraw rolled 1,4 using d4,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,4.  Soak.

Cool. Soaked it.

So I'm going to return the favor. Since this thing is right in my face, I'd have to hit its Parry. But I also have an Adventure Card for situations like this. I will spend 2 power points to do a 3d6 bolt, and play my Ace of Spades card to turn

quote:
AS - Ace
“Never tell me the odds.”
Play instead of rolling to make a trait test with a single automatic raise. The Marshal gets to draw 2 random chips from the fate pot.


That means I auto-hit, and get a raise. That's 4d6 damage in total.

16:21, Today: Jake McGraw rolled 19 using 4d6, rerolling max with rolls of 1,5,3,(6+4)10.  damage.

That oughta make this critter a mite crispy.

Card for next round: JD))

This message was last edited by the player at 23:27, Sat 09 June.

Marshal
 GM, 218 posts
 W7 R2 B0
Sun 10 Jun 2018
at 03:00
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
The creature doesn’t have the opportunity to let out a pain riddled shriek before the flames from McGraw’s device have enveloped it. It staggers backwards, then falls on its back, the fire rapidly reducing it to cinders.

Initiative Order

KH - Stalkers
JH - Jake McGraw

10D - Bryan Lee
9D - Albert Cooper

Two stalkers are on the ground, put out of action by successful attacks. Neither has yet regenerated.

Only one stalker is active, the creature at the cellar door.

The stalkers have a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 6.


Three stalkers have been destroyed by fire.

A circle of flame, approximately three feet in diameter, remains present on the left side of the room. A second circle, closer to four feet in diameter now occupies the center of the cradle. The flames that make up the second circle are gaining strength. A third patch of flame has been created a few paces away from Jake McGraw.


Ranger Lee, you’re up.
Bryan Lee
 player, 121 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P6 T6 W0 F0 W1 R1 B1 L0
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 16:20
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
As he studied the situation, he came to realize that while pugilism seemed effective in temporarily taking these plant-based beings out of commission for a short duration, it was only fire that was taking them out for good. He fought against the instincts that pushed him to take on the being pursuing Cooper; after all, the gunslinger could handle himself.

Instead, he moved towards the stalkers, setting his lantern down, picking one of them up under each arm, and moving to drop them into the nearest circle of fire.




OOC:

Agility 6 (if needed for anything)

11:14, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 6,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max.  Agility.
11:18, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 7H using the Deadlands system.

Albert Cooper
 player, 109 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Tue 12 Jun 2018
at 16:51
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
"Oh no you don't...." Albert tracked the plant-creature heading his direction and plugged it with a bit of lead.

OOC: Hit with raise for 7 damage.

KD for initiative.

09:50, Today: Albert Cooper drew the single card: KD using a deck of 54 cards.  Initiative.

09:49, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 7 using 3d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3,2.  Damage (with raise).

09:49, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 10,2 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 10,2.  Shooting.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:52, Tue 12 June.

Marshal
 GM, 220 posts
 W7 R2 B0
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 01:27
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Dumping the two unmoving monsters into the growing fire, Lee watches as the flames readily consume them both, the conflagration growing as the monsters’ corpses add fuel to the blaze.

Cooper’s shot blasts several pieces of dark vine from the remaining creature’s side, causing it to stagger backward a step. It remains upright, but the injury appears to have left it stunned.

Jacinta Castillo descends the cellar stairs, reaching the gathered children a moment after Cooper fires.

OOC: Jacinta, go ahead and give me an initiative draw for the current round.

Only one stalker remains, the creature at the cellar door.

The stalker has a Parry of 6 and a Toughness of 6.


Cooper’s shot leaves the stalker at the cellar door shaken.

Five stalkers have been destroyed by fire.

A circle of flame, approximately three feet in diameter, remains present on the left side of the room. A second circle, closer to four feet in diameter now occupies the center of the cradle. The flames that make up the second circle are gaining strength, made even larger by the two fallen stalkers that have been depositied within them. A third patch of flame has been created a few paces away from Jake McGraw.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 92 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R0 B1 L0
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 03:14
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Jacinta whistled as she crouched on the stairs.  "Hey, y'all ain't taken care of this little guy, yet?  Kids!  Come on up.  It's safe enough.  Just watch out where you step."


19:49, Today: Jacinta Castillo drew the single card: 3H using the Deadlands system.  Initiative.
Marshal
 GM, 222 posts
 W7 R2 B0
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 03:28
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
The children, needing little encouragement, eagerly move toward Castillo and the stairs.

Initiative Order

KD - Albert Cooper
JD - Jake McGraw
7H  - Bryan Lee
6S - Stalker
3H - Jacinta Castillo

Your turn, Mr. Cooper

Albert Cooper
 player, 110 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 07:21
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Albert will hold for McGraw. I think he's got some kind of flaming device?
Marshal
 GM, 223 posts
 W7 R2 B0
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 16:22
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
OOC: Your turn, Mr. McGraw.
Jake McGraw
 player, 109 posts
 Mad Engineer
 P5 T4 W0 F0 W1 R2
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 19:07
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Jake began heading back up the tunnel, back to the main part of the cellar. He spies the critter Cooper shot, and gave it a good dousing of flaming poison. He didn't get a terribly good amount of coverage. "Keep goin'!" Jake says. "I'll keep it busy!" he took a look over at the seed bags. Those also needed seein' to.

((OOC: Another 2 points for a 3d6 bolt

12:02, Today: Jake McGraw rolled 7,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 7,1.  Shooting.

Hit

12:04, Today: Jake McGraw rolled 5 using 3d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1,2.  damage.

Boo! Boo I say!

Maybe it'll catch fire on its own.

Card: 8C))

Bryan Lee
 player, 122 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P6 T6 W0 F0 W1 R1 B1 L0
Wed 13 Jun 2018
at 21:37
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Picking up his lantern, he moved towards the sole remaining creature and slammed his fist into it twice, only making contact with the strange, wiry plants once, and not with any effect, it seemed.

OOC:

Bryan executes his double punch, hits once, but not hard enough to do any damage.

16:25, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 4 using d6+d4, rerolling max with rolls of 1,3.  Damage.
16:25, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 6,3 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 6,3.  Fighting (Wing Chun).
16:24, Today: Bryan Lee rolled 2,1 using d8,d6, rerolling max with rolls of 2,1.  Fighting.
16:36, Today: Bryan Lee drew the single card: 7H using the Deadlands system with rolls of .  Initiative.

Also...unless I'm mistaken, the seed bags are still in the cellar, while Jake and Bryan start this round currently in the cradle. I didn't see anyone bring them with us - though it would be a good idea to set them on fire on our way out.

And it seems I really like to draw the 7H!

Marshal
 GM, 224 posts
 W7 R2 B0
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 03:08
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
 OOC: Just for my clarification:

Jake, you moved up the slope and into the cellar, taking a shot at the last remaining stalker as you did so. That’s a perfectly legal course of action, if I’ve understood it correctly. This isn’t Pathfinder, so you can move through the same space occupied by an enemy, especially one that’s small and shaken. But, if that is your intention, I’d have to say you’re just inside the cellar at this point.

Bryan, you’re located near the door to the cellar, but still technically in the cradle, within melee range of the last stalker.

Do I have that right?

Bryan Lee
 player, 123 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P6 T6 W0 F0 W1 R1 B1 L0
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 03:21
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
OOC:

For my part, yes.

Marshal
 GM, 225 posts
 W7 R2 B0
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 04:38
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
14:50, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 17,7 using d12,d6, rerolling max with rolls of (12+5)17,(6+1)7.  Shooting.

14:51, Today: Albert Cooper rolled 8 using 3d6+1, rerolling max with rolls of 2,3,2.  Damage.


With deadly accuracy, Cooper snaps off a shot at the stumbling creature, the bullet shattering its chest in a spray of black fragments. Thrown back violently, the monster lands on its back a couple of paces away from the cellar door, its broken form completely still.

OOC: Combat over.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:09, Fri 15 June.

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 93 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W1 R0 B1 L0
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 06:00
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
"Bueno!"  With the creepsters gone, Jacinta holstered her rifle and helped the kids up the stairs. "We're gonna get you back to your parents, but let's get outside first.  Things are gonna get toasty in here.  Everyone okay?  Anyone hurt?"  She hustled them up to the room above
Jake McGraw
 player, 110 posts
 Mad Engineer
 P5 T4 W0 F0 W1 R2
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 07:53
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Jake nods as the creature shatters, then moves closer to the seed bags, lines up a shot, and douses them with flaming poisonous goop. He also makes sure to cover the remains of the critter while it was down.

((OOC: Should I roll anything? Or just assume a 2 pp bolt will get the fire going on the seeds?))

This message was last edited by the player at 02:24, Fri 15 June.

Bryan Lee
 player, 124 posts
 Texas Ranger
 P6 T6 W0 F0 W1 R1 B1 L0
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 15:44
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
As the last of the critters was burned to a crisp and Jake lit up the seeds, Bryan sprinted to join Jacinta and the children, pausing a moment to catch his breath before going up.

"Let me go up ahead of 'em and prepare the way," he suggested quietly to Jacinta. He was concerned about the critters popping up in any vines that may have crawled topside - especially that last one that they hadn't been able to subdue.

Ahead of the kids, Lee quietly moved up the stairs.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:29, Fri 15 June.

Albert Cooper
 player, 111 posts
 Gun Wizzerd
 P5 T6 W0 F0 W2 R1 B1 L0
Thu 14 Jun 2018
at 21:01
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
Albert looked at the children and holstered his weapon. "Like the purty lady said, we're gonna get y'all outta here. Jus' stay patient while we make sure the way is clear."

Albert nodded at Bryan's suggestion, then spoke quietly in return. "Lead the way, General."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:51, Fri 15 June.

Marshal
 GM, 229 posts
 W7 R2 B0
Sat 16 Jun 2018
at 20:59
Re: IH - Lincoln, Sunset
The children readily gather around Castillo. None report any injuries and most respond to her and Cooper’s instructions with a whispered ”Yes, ma’am” or ”Yes, sir.” Two of the youngsters, a boy and girl, begin a quiet conversation about how they each want to become a sheriff or a town marshal when they grow up. Michael Kibbee, stick still in hand, stares at Castillo with undisguised wonder and admiration.

McGraw is able to dispose of the store of seeds and the remains of the last of the monsters in short order, the fire from his invention consuming everything readily.

Below, the flames in the cradle continue to gain strength, the vines providing ready fuel for their expansion.

Cooper and Lee climb the stairs, emerging into the neglected library without incident. Peering through the doorway into the adjoining hall, the pair can see Kansas Kate dragging the muddy, and apparently unconscious, form of the gunman who greeted Castillo toward the front door. Lying partially in the hallway is an enormous gathering of vines which still retains the vague outline of a body, a larger version of the creatures the group encountered below, roughly seven feet tall at a guess. Its head has been blasted into fragments and laying close to its inert form is a curved sickle with a worn wooden handle.

OOC: I’m going to ask that everyone start posting in the ”From the Fields” thread as the heroes regroup upstairs.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:07, Sat 16 June.