IJ - Reunion.   Posted by Marshal.Group: 0
Marshal
 GM, 241 posts
 W6 R3 B0
Mon 2 Jul 2018
at 00:55
IJ - Reunion
Shortly after the lights of Lincoln appear in the night, the group accompanying the children see a trio of riders galloping toward them, one of them carrying a lantern which spreads warm light into the darkness. Jake McGraw and Reverend Allgood recognize one of the riders as Michael Kibbee Senior, the newspaperman. Jacinta Castillo and Tamsin River see that another of the riders is Aileen Kearney, the mustanger. The third member of the group, the one bearing the light source, is a young man, perhaps seventeen, his dress like that of a vaquero.

Tears well up in Kibbee’s eyes as he sees his son. The younger Kibbee jumps down from the cart and runs to his father.

Kearney hails the group, bringing her horse to a stop, the young man behind her following suit. ”Father Narvaez, he talked to Rentana Montaño after ya’ll went in the schoolhouse. I know the Ranger told him not to, but he figured you might be tryin’ to bring the young ones back home. Wanted us to meet you. There’s another group watchin’ on the west side of town, in case you came that way.”

She shakes her head in amazement. ”Ya’ll did it. It’s like a miracle, especially for their folks.”

Señora Montaño asked if you could bring the kids over to the boarding house. There’s been a bunch of her family keepin’ watch. No spyin’ eyes about. If we could get ‘em there, we’ll be able to reunite them with their families, real quiet like.”

Jacinta Castillo
 player, 103 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W3 R1 B2 L0
Mon 2 Jul 2018
at 01:33
IJ - Reunion
She nodded to Aileen.  "Yep, we got 'em all safe and sound.  They were being taken care of, tell the truth, just held for leverage.  Bit scared, some of 'em, but they'll settle when they get back to their families."  She smiled, seeing her little shadow reunited with his father.  "Can relate the whole story when we get everyone inside.  Let's get 'em in there and warmed up.  The quieter, the better."  Leading the mare, she set it toward the boarding house.
Kansas Kate
 player, 137 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W5 R0 B1 L#
Mon 2 Jul 2018
at 01:35
IJ - Reunion
Kate was silent, her eyes searching the darkness for straw monsters or other reprisals.  She wasn't about to believe they had accomplished anything just yet.
Renata Montano
 NPC, 10 posts
Wed 4 Jul 2018
at 03:31
IJ - Reunion
Michael Kibbee, with his son in front of him on his saddle, and Aileen Kearney lead the group around the southern edge of Lincoln’s Main Street through the thick darkness, bringing them without incident to the rear of the Patron House, a tall shadow in the dimness. There, Renata Montaño is waiting with a number of her family members, a teenage boy and girl holding the reins of several horses. Ike Ellis is also part of the gathering.

Montaño approaches the cart, looking over the gathered children with obvious relief. Looking to the rescuers, she asks, ”Are any of them hurt? Are any of you?”
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 104 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W3 R1 B2 L0
Wed 4 Jul 2018
at 05:56
IJ - Reunion
"Don't think so.  Maybe a bit shook up, but they're tough kids."  She swung down from the mare and took hold of the reins.  "They were fed and kept busy, just confined.  Don't think they were hurt none.  I think we mostly came out unscathed."
Marshal
 GM, 244 posts
 W6 R3 B0
Fri 6 Jul 2018
at 01:14
IJ - Reunion
Montaño breathes a sigh of relief, patting Castillo’s arm. Looking to those gathered at the boarding house, she nods. Quickly and quietly, the children are unloaded from the cart and their identities confirmed. In the midst of the activity, one of Montaño‘s helpers passes a poke of fresh tobacco to Kate and an unopened bottle of whiskey to McGraw.

As plans are made to escort each of the children home, the rescuers hear fragments of conversation.

”...quiet. Not many from ‘The House’ on the street tonight. Only a few at Wilson’s.”

”Still feels like trouble, though. There’s been fellas keepin’ watch on the Courthouse all night. And they ain’t Brady’s men.”

”At least this happened tonight, not tomorrow.”

A chuckle. ”Well, there wouldn’t be anyone out after dark if it was.”

”Yeah, but we wouldn’t want to be either!”

Ike Ellis takes hold of the paint mare’s reins. Pausing, he places his hand on the mount’s flank. ”This horse came from the Tunstall Ranch,” he says quietly.
Kansas Kate
 player, 138 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W5 R0 B1 L#
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 00:35
IJ - Reunion
Kate wasn't shy, that got her attention.  She went to the voice or at least towards it and asked brusquely.  "Tomorrow?  What the hell happens tomorrow?"
Marshal
 GM, 245 posts
 W6 R3 B0
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 17:40
IJ - Reunion
The source of the comment, a young man with wavy, dark hair stuffed beneath a weathered straw hat, blinks at Kate in surprise as she approaches.

”The...the wagon train, ma’am,” he manages.

A middle aged bearded man who is helping one of the children up in front of a rider on a horse explains, ”Years back, when Lincoln was just starting to grow, when it was still called Las Placitas del Rio Bonito, there was a wagon train that came together here. Bunch of people from the surrounding area, wanting to make it out to California. This was at the beginning of the ghost rock rush.”

“Idea circulated that the group could take a shortcut up Capitan Pass and through the mountains. They tried it and the whole train vanished. All those folks never heard from again. Except one. Weeks later one of the fellas that had hired on as a guard and guide came stumbling out of the trees just north of here. In poor shape, but alive: L.G. Murphy.”


He shakes his head. ”From then on, first Tuesday of every month, long after dark, it rolls in. The wagon train. Or rather, its ghost. I’ve heard its wheels rumbling on the Main Street, but I’ve never poked my head out the window to get a look. Riply Bynum, a town drunk, was out there about a year ago when it came. Plumb lost his damn mind. Ended up scurrying off into the woods. No idea what became of him.”

A young woman in a plaid shirt and jeans chimes in. ”First Tuesday of the month, everyone just stays indoors at night. Even Señor Murphy’s people.”
Kansas Kate
 player, 139 posts
 Hot words and cold slabs
 P6 T5 W0 F0 W5 R0 B1 L#
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 19:12
IJ - Reunion
Kate realized all the robberies she could get away with if there was a ghost wagon train that came through town.  Worst case scenario, set up a few mirrors, wait for it to pass in safety, and immediately steal out.

"Well, that seems like a mighty fine way to get away with damn near anything, be the tale true or otherwise."  She mumbled to herself.
Rev. Earnest Allgood
 player, 80 posts
 P3 T5 W# F# W3 R1 B1 L#
Sat 7 Jul 2018
at 21:19
IJ - Reunion
Reverend Allgood, leads the assembled people in a prayer of thanksgiving for the safe return of the children. In it he also praises the Savior-inspired courage of the fine men and women who accomplished the deed, layi8ng low the potent evil that they confronted. He mentions each of the rescuers by name. (He doesn't mention himself, but he does let his coat hang open to display the bloodied bandage that wraps his chest.)
Jacinta Castillo
 player, 105 posts
 Half-breed Scout
 P4 T5 W0 F0 W3 R1 B2 L0
Sun 8 Jul 2018
at 00:32
IJ - Reunion
Jacinta nodded to Ike and spoke quietly.  "We took it from el pistolero that had been sent with food for the children."  She thumbed a gesture at Kate.  "She seemed to know who he was."

"What'd you think is going on at the courthouse?  Why're men keeping watch?" 
Marshal
 GM, 246 posts
 W6 R3 B0
Sun 8 Jul 2018
at 21:23
IJ - Reunion
Ellis grimaces. ”I’m pretty sure those boys that are doin’ the watchin’ are Regulators,” he answers, patting the mare’s neck, “a group of John Tunstall’s former hands. They’re out for blood. Want to avenge John’s murder and the death of one of their own that happened about a week back.”

He nods in the direction of the Courthouse. ”Judge Wilson, he deputized ‘em. Gave ‘em warrants to serve. To arrest some of the people suspected in John’s killin’. But I think all that did was make ‘em feel like their cause was justified. I don’t believe they’re plannin’ on bringing anyone in to jail.”

“I ain’t seen the list of warrants, mind. But I heard that there’s a few names on it that don’t belong there. And I’ve also heard that the Regulators are also out hunting a few folks that they don’t have orders to track down. Only thing I can figure, there’s someone hangin’ around the Courthouse they’re wantin’ to get their hands on.”


After the close of the prayer that Allgood leads, Rentana Montaño signals to one of the members of her family. Gesturing to the Reverend and his wound, she asks the young woman to go inside the boarding house and fetch Ava Winter.
Ava Winter
 NPC, 12 posts
Thu 12 Jul 2018
at 01:56
IJ - Reunion
One by one, riders depart from the rear of the boarding house, their young passengers in front of them on their saddles. Each one keeps to the shadows, careful to remain unseen as they move off at a trot to return their charges to their homes. Several of the children whisper their thanks to their rescuers as they disappear into the night. Mike Kibbee Junior asks that he and his father remain until each of the riders returns, so he can know that each of his friends are safe.

Ava Winter arrives and examines the Reverend’s wound, nodding approvingly at the treatment that Tamsin River had already provided. ”All it needs now is a bit of time,” she says.
Renata Montano
 NPC, 11 posts
Thu 12 Jul 2018
at 01:56
IJ - Reunion
Soon, the riders return, all with reports of tearful parents and joyful children. Renata Montaño assures the rescuers that should they be in need of a meal, or anything from her store, they need only to call on her. ”The House...there will be anger over this. Be watchful. Everyone here, we have sworn to keep secret what you have done. But there are eyes everywhere.”

“We must all talk again. Soon.”


Quickly and quietly, the gathering behind the Patron House disperses.

The night air remains calm, the cold from the mountain peaks cooling the valley, settling all around the Rio Bonito into a gentle slumber. For a time, all is peaceful.