Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Serendea Nightbird
 player, 16 posts
 Wood Elf Rogue
 HP: 7/7 AC: 14
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 03:13
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
You didn't mention it, DM, but I assume on a 5 insight check Mr. Gobby could say damn near anything and its body language would seem honest enough to me.

Do I know anything about King Grol or Cragmaw Castle?
22:11, Today: Serendea Nightbird rolled 16 using 1d20+1.  History.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 39 posts
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 03:23
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Ah, sorry, I knew I was missing something. But yes, as far as you can tell, Gobby is telling the truth.

From your mercenary days, you recognize the Cragmaw clan. You know that their main outpost - presumably the castle the goblin spoke of - lies about 40 miles north of Phandalin, in the Neverwinter Wood. You haven't crossed paths with this King Grol guy, however.
Bellamy
 player, 32 posts
 HP 7 / AC 14
 Dwarven Researcher
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 04:59
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Threnonie Walker:
How recently do you reckon the attack on them happened?” she asks Bellamy even as she looks over the scene herself.


"Hard to say. This is not exactly my area of expertise."

Thurdan Stormbrow:
Thurdan looked confused. "How do you know there are no more?"


Satisfied that there is no nearby immediate threat, Bellamy extended his left arm a moment as the owl descended and perched on the Dwarf's broad shoulder. "There are more ways to see than simply with your own eyes." He began to wave his hand to dismiss the owl but paused a moment before deciding to let Orix stay on his shoulder a bit longer. Certain he has seen all he could from examining the horses, Bellamy began to move towards the captured Goblin. "Oy! Has that thing squealed yet?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:26, Tue 05 Dec 2017.

Light Fantastic
 player, 16 posts
 HP: 9/9 AC:13
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 05:33
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
"Not yet!" Light called over in a sing song tone before turning back to the Goblin, "We could bandage you up if you help us out, we're always open to new friends!" she smiled sincerely at the creature, "Are they still alive?"

05:33, Today: Light Fantastic rolled 12 using 1d20+5. Persuasion.
Serendea Nightbird
 player, 20 posts
 Wood Elf Rogue
 HP: 7/7 AC: 14
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 05:50
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
I carefully keep my face neutral. No reason to let the goblin know that regardless of what this ridiculous devil promises the little worm, I have no intention of letting it live.

00:48, Today: Serendea Nightbird rolled 5 using 1d20+4.  Deception.

Oof.

Threnonie Walker
 player, 13 posts
 HP 11 A.C. 13
 City Herbalist
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 06:27
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Threnonie joins Bellamy and Thurdan.

"It looks like it has been about a day to me, meaning there is still a good chance they live."

She casts and concerned glance back towards the horse and the wagon.

"But if we are going to have to go into a cave to mount a rescue attempt we will need to find a safe place to leave the wagon and possibly Blaze as well."

She pulls a scrap of raw meat from a pouch in her apron and offers it to Bellamy's owl with a thickly gloved hand.

"Did Orix notice any good spots while he was scouting around big enough to the wagon but still easy to conceal."
Thurdan Stormbrow
 player, 23 posts
 AC 16 HP 12/12
 Passive Perception 12
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 12:07
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Thurdan walked over to the rest, confused by Bellamy's statement. "What do you mean there are more ways to see than with your eyes. You see with your mouth or something?" He asked confusedly.
Bellamy
 player, 33 posts
 HP 7 / AC 14
 Dwarven Researcher
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 17:52
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
"Blaze?" He glanced over to the horse and back to Threnonie who had already begun to feed the owl. "That the horse's name?" Bellamy chuckled gruffly and shook his head a bit. "You go treating every animal you come across like it's people and you'll spoil them to where we don't get any work out of them"

He waited to learn what the Goblin had to say before turning his attention to Thurden.

Thurdan Stormbrow:
Thurdan walked over to the rest, confused by Bellamy's statement. "What do you mean there are more ways to see than with your eyes. You see with your mouth or something?" He asked confusedly.


"I get the feelin' a normal explanation just won't do." He considered his next words and stroked his beard a moment before continuing. "I've heard of, and I'm sure you may have as well, stories of warriors who almost become linked to their weapon. How, from time to time, they don't really have to think about their next move as though the weapon can communicate with them. It's kind of like that with Orix here." Bellamt gave a sideways look Threnonie's way. "Assuming, of course, he doesn't get fattened up to where he can't fly."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:11, Wed 06 Dec 2017.

Thurdan Stormbrow
 player, 24 posts
 AC 16 HP 12/12
 Passive Perception 12
Tue 5 Dec 2017
at 20:24
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
"Your bird is a sword?" Thurdan asked even more confused. "But he's a bird. How can he be a sword?"

Sorry, but you are dealing with the intelligence of just better than your smartest horses. :-)
Dungeon Master
 GM, 42 posts
Wed 6 Dec 2017
at 16:27
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
The goblin nods at Light, but starts shifting away from Serendea as much as it can.

Threnonie, you think you could pretty easily drive the wagon off the trail a little ways and hide it in the undergrowth.
Threnonie Walker
 player, 15 posts
 HP 11 A.C. 13
 City Herbalist
Thu 7 Dec 2017
at 07:11
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Threnonie starts leading the wagon towards the spot she has noticed and chimes in as she walks.  “It’s like a mirror, if you look into a mirror you can see behind yourself even if your eyes aren’t pointed that way, it still works because the mirror is.  Our friend here has magic that makes his birds eye work like a mirror, he can see out through them even though his own eyes are not pointed in the same direction.

She keeps an amused eye on Thurdan as she speaks, gauging rather he is following her explanation at all or if was just as useless as the previous one.
Serendea Nightbird
 player, 22 posts
 Wood Elf Rogue
 HP: 7/7 AC: 14
Thu 7 Dec 2017
at 15:12
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
With a quick arm motion, I toss my dagger into the goblin's chest.

Without bothering to check my handiwork, I turn to the three by the wagon. "It's magic, Thurdan. The bird is magic, and he can see what it sees. More pressingly, Sildar's been taken alive by these little snots," I kick the goblin, "and we need to get there before they eat him. And then," I bend down and retrieve my dagger, "we'll have to go rescue our employer."

I walk over to the Bellamy as I clean and put away the dagger, "So like she asked, what does Orix see? Where can we hide the wagon?"

09:25, Today: Serendea Nightbird rolled 23 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only.  Attack roll 1. [Accidentally submitted before the description was right. This is my attack roll with advantage for attacking a prone opponent within 5 ft.]
09:27, Today: Serendea Nightbird rolled 7 using 1d4+3.  Damage.
09:27, Today: Serendea Nightbird rolled 6 using 1d6.  Sneak attack. [Despite the name, Sneak Attack triggers on any attack where I have advantage.]

Double max damage seems like overkill, but sure.

Bellamy
 player, 37 posts
 HP 7 / AC 14
 Dwarven Researcher
Thu 7 Dec 2017
at 18:57
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Bellamy pats Thurden on the back firmly. "Remind me when we have more time and I'll give you a proper demonstration of what I mean." With that, he turned to look at Serendea as she addressed them.

"It's 'bout time you put that thing out of its misery. I assume, then, you got something useful out of it?" The Dwarf stroked his black beard as he considered the Elf's reply. "If you ask me, Sildar is as good as dead. Goblins aren't exactly known for their table manners. I doubt we'll have the luxury of them taking their time." He didn't seem amused or pleased by his opinion. Rather, he was simply stating fact.

Having lost himself in trying to explain a familiar to Thurden, Bellamy seemed to have neglected Threnonie's inquiry. "Ah... he spotted a place well enough suited for the wagon and, while it would have enough cover for the horse, I doubt it would stay silent enough to not be noticed."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:03, Thu 07 Dec 2017.

Thurdan Stormbrow
 player, 26 posts
 AC 16 HP 12/12
 Passive Perception 12
Thu 7 Dec 2017
at 22:46
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
"Mirror? Wait magic, you use magic?" Thurdan's eyes get big as saucers and a look of childlike wonder takes form on his face. "I like magic. You have to show me later!"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 44 posts
Fri 8 Dec 2017
at 20:30
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Serendea... yeah. The goblin is super, super dead. :P

Threnonie guides the horse and wagon off to the side, settling them in a low grassy area in the shade.

If you guys are ready to move forward, I just need to know who's going to be in the lead. Trail's wide enough for two side by side. Make any checks you like. :)
Threnonie Walker
 player, 18 posts
 HP 11 A.C. 13
 City Herbalist
Fri 8 Dec 2017
at 21:31
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
With a weary but genuine smile Threnonie replies to Thurdan "Will, do I imagine there are likely to be several opportunities inside the cave"

After doing a little druidcraft to cause a few plant grow in minor ways to help camouflage the wagon, Threnonie will go ahead and unhitch Blaze (the horse) from the wagon and either ride or walk next to him as we approach the cave, keeping a careful eye out for ambushes or traps as she does so.


15:26, Today: Threnonie Walker rolled 20 using 1d20+5.  Perception to Spot Trouble or Traps.
15:25, Today: Threnonie Walker rolled 10 using 1d20+5.  Survival to Camouflage Wagon.
If you thing another skills would have been more appropriate feel free to change the bonuses on the rolls

Thurdan Stormbrow
 player, 29 posts
 AC 16 HP 12/12
 Passive Perception 12
Sat 9 Dec 2017
at 05:41
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
As the tank, Thurdan will take point. He's got the reach to block off a larger area so others can stay safe.

"We go for Gundrin yes?" Thurdan said as he started walking towards the castle mentioned by the goblin.
Light Fantastic
 player, 19 posts
 HP: 9/9 AC:13
 Eye-wateringly colourful
Sat 9 Dec 2017
at 06:24
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Light jumped back in shock which quickly turned to anger, "I-I promised to heal him!  Why did you kill him?!"

This message was last edited by the player at 09:03, Sat 09 Dec 2017.

Threnonie Walker
 player, 19 posts
 HP 11 A.C. 13
 City Herbalist
Sat 9 Dec 2017
at 15:31
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Responding to Thurdan, Threnonie says

"My understanding was that the goblin claimed Sildar was still alive and in a nearby cave, though in immediate danger.  I admit I wasn't paying the closest attention to the conversation, but if I understood correctly it would seem prudent to rescue him, cull these horse killing goblin, and gather what information we can before assaulting the castle."
Serendea Nightbird
 player, 28 posts
 Wood Elf Rogue
 HP: 7/7 AC: 14
Tue 12 Dec 2017
at 17:38
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Without bothering to turn around to face Light, I roll my eyes at her question. "I killed it because it was a goblin."

"Threnonie's right,"
I tell Thurdan. "We save Sildar first. He's nearby and isn't going to live long if we don't do something. The goblin said there were only 15 of them in the cave. Now, it is a goblin, so I assume it was lying. That makes maybe 20 of them. The five of us should be able to handle that many in a matter of hours. We take any treasure we find in there to Phandalin tonight, spend it on some very long, very sharp blades, and we leave for Cragmaw Castle in the morning."
Bellamy
 player, 49 posts
 HP 7 / AC 14
 Dwarven Researcher
Wed 13 Dec 2017
at 06:06
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Serendea Nightbird:
"I killed it because it was a goblin."


From the back of the group, Bellamy grunted his approval in agreement of Serendea's sentiment as he reached into his backpack he had retrieved from the wagon and pulled out a small well-worn book.

quote:
"We save Sildar first. He's nearby and isn't going to live long if we don't do something. The goblin said there were only 15 of them in the cave. Now, it is a goblin, so I assume it was lying. That makes maybe 20 of them. The five of us should be able to handle that many in a matter of hours. We take any treasure we find in there to Phandalin tonight, spend it on some very long, very sharp blades, and we leave for Cragmaw Castle in the morning."


As Bellamy made notes in the book, he grumbled under his breath. Any familiar with Dwarven may hear him counting along with the occasional comment about making the best of a waste of time.

Orix, Bellamy's owl familiar, remained perch atop his left shoulder and glanced around them.

Bellamy is marking notes to map out their path by counting paces he will use to calculate distance. He is making a point to note a reference of where they hid the wagon along with where this particular cave is when they find it.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:22, Wed 13 Dec 2017.

Thurdan Stormbrow
 player, 36 posts
 AC 16 HP 12/12
 Passive Perception 12
Thu 14 Dec 2017
at 01:48
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Thurdan was unsure why Light was upset, it was just a goblin. "Why would you heal a goblin?"

When Serendea said they were going after the fighter, Thurdan frowned, but kept his thoughts to himself. Well at least I get to kill some goblins. He thought.
Light Fantastic
 player, 24 posts
 HP: 9/9 AC:13
 Eye-wateringly colourful
Thu 14 Dec 2017
at 13:36
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
"Because I promised I would!" Light said as she gave the others a wounded look, "If we don't keep our promises then what kind of people are we?  Even if the promise IS to a Goblin."
Thurdan Stormbrow
 player, 37 posts
 AC 16 HP 12/12
 Passive Perception 12
Thu 14 Dec 2017
at 13:44
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
"But why would you promise to heal a goblin?" Thurdan asked confusedly.
Threnonie Walker
 player, 23 posts
 HP 11 A.C. 13
 City Herbalist
Thu 14 Dec 2017
at 18:38
Re: Adventure Awaits [IC Thread]
Threnonie responds to Light's plea, "While your intentions are noble, that goblin did try to kill us, and more than likely had blood on his hands besides.  We all had a claim on his life should we wish to exercise it.  If you wanted to successfully bargain with things like its life or safety and offer them in trade I suggest gain permission to bargain on our behalf before making such offers.  If you want to keep your promises I would suggest a little more care and authority in making them, especially when you do so on behalf of others."

She keeps a keen eye out for any trouble clearly focusing more spotting an ambush or trap than conversation.


Looking for good spots to ambush us, even if I don't see signs that one is in place I will notify the party when we approach one

Just a reminder that I am still on guard
Threnonie Walker rolled 20 using 1d20+5.  Perception to Spot Trouble or Traps.