Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 11 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 08:04
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
It's been a dreary and quiet journey. The rains only let up this morning, your clothes are still cold and damp, much like the mood of the whole caravan. Your press on on horseback with five wagons following in your wake. There's the occasional ray of sunlight able to break through the clouds, enough for you to note it's already half way through the afternoon. With all the mud that's been washed onto the poorly kept road you'll be lucky to make it into town by sunset.

All of that gets put aside though as you finally gain sight of the small village. An orange glow emanates from somewhere in the middle and you quickly realise that it's coming from a fire, a big one. The more keenly sighted of you can see the flames climbing up the side of one of the building near the centre of the village. You can just about pick up shouts of people over the otherwise calm air and as the first wagon gains sight, the caravan master, a sturdy old man by the name of Reggie, says, "Oh that don't look good." He turns back to the others calling out, "Oy those of you not driving mount up on the pack horses. There's a fire and they could use every able bodied hand!" He then turns to the lot of you, "What are ya waiting for, been no fightin' on the road I'm sure you're itching for some action, get down there!"
Ulfmar Hrothstejn
 player, 13 posts
 AC 19, F/R/W 16/11/12
 HP 33, Surges 13/13
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 08:30
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
In reply to GM (msg # 1):

"Ye got that right, Reggie ye old codge. Middle o' town, no alarm bells, methinks it be just regular fire, but a dwarf can hope, eh? Let's go see if they need a hand, lads and lasses!" Ooooooooh!" grumbles Ulfmar as he breaks into a fast paced dwarven marching chant and spurs his horse onwards.
Xalnan
 player, 7 posts
 Gnome Arcanist
 AC:17|F:12|R:15|W:13
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 13:27
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Xalnan doesn't like the idea of leaving the caravan. "I thought you hired us to guard your goods, not as a volunteer fire brigade. My arms aren't well suited to hoisting buckets."

But after checking to make sure his spellbook is secured, he hustles after Ulfmar.
Davik Whitest
 player, 14 posts
 Albino Dwarf Bard
 AC16 FRW 14/12/14
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 20:29
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Xalnan's words ring true in Davik's ears, so he decides to stay put. The fire reminds him of his pipe, he should have been smoking the entire time. He drops his reigns and packs his heirloom pipe with fresh weed and sets to lighting it properly. "Hope it wasn't a dragon that started the fire." He says, smoke billowing out his lips and nostrils.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:48, Fri 17 Aug 2018.

Ulfmar Hrothstejn
 player, 14 posts
 AC 19, F/R/W 16/11/12
 HP 33, Surges 13/13
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 20:42
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
In reply to Davik Whitest (msg # 4):

"Oy! Snowskin of a Dwarf! What are you doin'? I'd expect a Gnome to be a coward, but there could be people dyin'! 'Sides, we can't deliver the caravan to Whitehaven if the town burns down first! Get off your bony white arses afore I come back for ye myself!" roars Ulfmar at the laggards.
Oruyur Vandek
 player, 4 posts
 Gnome Warlock
 AC:14|F:12|R:13|W:15
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 21:06
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
With Reggie's comment, Oruyur's head snaps up and he begins to ride toward the fire, although it is clear he is no expert horseman. He muses, his eyes wide, "If wood lives, perhaps fire is its hope to dance as ash upon the wind and choke the forester, the miller, the bowyer and the carpenter?"

And riding by Davik, "Perhaps if it's a dragon, it was simply trying to bring some warmth to this soggy day. Guess we'll find out soon enough - they're rather large as I've heard."

Wind rushes through his hair and he smirks at his own musings as he rides toward the distress.
GM
 GM, 13 posts
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 23:35
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
As people start to object Reggie says, "Listen you whiny sellswords, I hired you to escort me to that village and if it's in danger you gotta make sure I have somewhere safe to arrive at. So either get movin' or you don't get paid."
Davik Whitest
 player, 15 posts
 Albino Dwarf Bard
 AC16 FRW 14/12/14
Fri 17 Aug 2018
at 23:39
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
OOC: It was never made clear to me that Reggie was the one who hired me, edited my last post because I thought Reggie was also a hired hand, not the boss. Now I look like an idiot. Oh well.

Suppressed memories of being carried away from his burning house at a young age stun his mind. Something tells him he started the fire, or at least was the cause of it. "I've never fought a fire before, Reggie, but if you're sure you're fine on your own, your wish is my command."

Davik bites down on his pipe, grabs the reins and books it after the others.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:51, Fri 17 Aug 2018.

Marianna 'Maria' Fireheart
 player, 3 posts
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 03:18
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Unlike the others, the only teenager of the group was not hesitant. The reason why she did not move hurriedly was that the others hesitated. It pissed her off. The girl who mostly kept to herself the whole trip and spent most of it reading from her medium sized, leather bound book was as livid as Reggie.

Sheesh guys all you need is a bucket and a nearby water source such as a well or a river! It is not mage science!

Shaking her head she hightails it towards Winterhaven.
Ulfmar Hrothstejn
 player, 15 posts
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 08:55
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame

This message was deleted by the player at 15:21, Mon 20 Aug 2018.

GM
 GM, 14 posts
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 20:46
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
You all ride into the village, some with a little more haste than others, to find the townsfolk in quite a panic. Now that you're closer you can see that several houses standing near each other have caught fire and the flames are climbing quickly and threatening to consume other nearby buildings. Some of the townsfolk are working together to pull water from the well to throw on the fire, while others are throwing dirt onto the flames. There are others brandishing weapons or whatever else they seem to have to hand like pitchforks any heavy objects. Others still are fleeing in a panic, some are shouting about the fire or looking for loved ones while others are shouting about goblins. The more eagle eyed of you spy several small humanoid shapes in the distance leaving the village in the direction of the nearby forest.
Xalnan
 player, 8 posts
 Gnome Arcanist
 AC:17|F:12|R:15|W:13
Sun 19 Aug 2018
at 21:31
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Xalnan, far better at routing goblins than hauling buckets, heads to the group of townsfolk that seem to be gathering weapons.

"Are there any goblins still in town? Or have they all fled?"
Oruyur Vandek
 player, 5 posts
 Gnome Warlock
 AC:14|F:12|R:13|W:15
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 01:22
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Oruyur rides his horse alongside the fleeing townsfolk and shouts, the baritone rising in his lilting voice, "Fire is a hungry beast and will consume this place if not tamed soon! Grab buckets and hunt the flames with your kin lest they be devoured by your fear!"


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Don't know if you're looking for rolls yet, but just in case:
19:22, Today: Oruyur Vandek rolled 22 using 1d20+9.  Intimidate fleeing townsfolk into helping.


Ulfmar Hrothstejn
 player, 16 posts
 AC 19, F/R/W 16/11/12
 HP 33, Surges 13/13
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 15:25
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
In reply to Oruyur Vandek (msg # 13):

Grumbling about the fleeing Goblins Ulfmar nods. "Aye, 'tis a shame to let the greenskinned yellowbellies run, but we oughtta see if anyone's trapped first. Might be more of the firebugs  lurkin' asides.. "
Davik Whitest
 player, 16 posts
 Albino Dwarf Bard
 AC16 FRW 14/12/14
Mon 20 Aug 2018
at 15:38
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Pipe still clenched in his teeth, Davik lashes his horse to the first post on the way into town, far enough from the flame and close enough that Reggie can grab it for him if convenient. His lyre and bow stay with the horse to keep them from being burned, but taking his longsword off would take too much time. He tells his wolf, Bear, to stay put and runs into town, grabbing a bucket on the way to the well.

"The well is too slow. Dirt is a better resource, but you need more of it at once." He supposes out loud to anyone listening. He looks around for anything else that could help.

08:41, Today: Davik Whitest rolled 20 using 1d20+5. Perception roll for something to better put out flames with.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:42, Mon 20 Aug 2018.

Marianna 'Maria' Fireheart
 player, 4 posts
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 02:12
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Maria notices the small humanoids and probably believes them to be goblins. But her concerns are with the fire. So while keeping a discreet eye out for stragglers, she immediately goes looking for buckets and any nearby water sources such as a well and begins trying to put out the fires.

22:12, Today: Marianna 'Maria' Fireheart rolled 28 using 1d20+9.  Perception Check.
GM
 GM, 16 posts
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 08:02
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Xalnan: You get mixed replies from the people who are coherent enough to answer you, some say they're unsure, others say there must still be some lurking around here. It seems like their goal was to set the fire though based on the scattered comments you pick up.

Oruyur: Your commanding if menacing voice carries over the panic. Some of the villagers regain their composure and join the efforts to put out the fire.

Ulfmar: As you enquire as to if people are trapped it seems like there may be two people trapped in one of the houses, a young woman and her crippled father, no one has seen them since the fire started.

Davik: You search the area and while there are a few spades being employed to help with shovelling dirt the rest are either contributing to the bucketing of water or digging the dirt into buckets with their hands. You get the impression that the fire might continue to spread unless something can be done to cut it off from other houses.

Marianna: You keep your eyes open for any threats but don't see any goblins in the village. The well is the only source of water but your help is appreciated by the panting villagers who are running the buckets back and forth.
Xalnan
 player, 9 posts
 Gnome Arcanist
 AC:17|F:12|R:15|W:13
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 14:12
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
With no obvious goblin threat immediately apparent, Xalnan heads to the well. He conjures a Mage Hand and uses it to fill buckets and hurl them onto the fire.

OOC: I think that the mage hand should be resistant to fire, so it may be able to get buckets to more strategic firefighting locations?

This message was last edited by the player at 17:16, Tue 21 Aug 2018.

Ulfmar Hrothstejn
 player, 17 posts
 AC 19, F/R/W 16/11/12
 HP 33, Surges 13/13
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 15:32
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
In reply to GM (msg # 17):

Ulfmar grabs one of the few buckets of water and dunks it on his head for whatever scant protection from the heat it might afford, and then, with a quick prayer to Moradin, he heads into the indicated house to search for the girl and the cripple, leaving his pack on the ground outside. "I'll be right back, aye?" he says with a rakish grin to those with whom he travelled this far.

Edit with roll:
Today: Ulfmar Hrothstejn rolled 23 using 1d20+8.  Endurance to 'keep his cool' in the fire, pun fully intended.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:24, Wed 22 Aug 2018.

Davik Whitest
 player, 17 posts
 Albino Dwarf Bard
 AC16 FRW 14/12/14
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 17:08
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Clueless as to how to fight the fire, Davik decides to follow Ulfmar into the flames. Snatching a full bucket from a villager and tossing his empty one he too covers himself in water and charges into the burning house. He prays to Moradin that he will not need rescuing too.

"I'm behind you, Ulfmar!" He belts out, followed by a fit of coughing. Realizing the smoke travels up he bends over and breathes better. Seeing the dwarf go straight, Davik goes left.

10:07, Today: Davik Whitest rolled 6 using 1d20+5.  perception for people in house.
Assuming that's a miss:
Two flaming structural beams fall in front of him, blocking his way.
Oruyur Vandek
 player, 6 posts
 Gnome Warlock
 AC:14|F:12|R:13|W:15
Tue 21 Aug 2018
at 21:53
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Oruyur follows the rallied villagers back to the bucket line, dismounting his horse and joining them in their efforts.

He is no better fireman than horseman and he quips to whoever's around as he passes buckets, "Starting a FIRE in WINTERhaven? The only excuse for goblins so foolish is that they can't read. This thing is nearly out, already!"
Marianna 'Maria' Fireheart
 player, 5 posts
Wed 22 Aug 2018
at 18:59
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Maria tries to go as quickly as she can even though she is not strong physically. It is quite a task but she kees to it in spite of her aching arms and tiredness.
GM
 GM, 18 posts
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 15:27
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Ulfmar & Davik: You head into the burning building. The heat is intense and burning pieces of timber fall on you both though Ulfmar is able to tough it out and avoid getting burned.

Davik takes 7 fire damage.

Once inside over the sound of crackling flames you can hear what sounds like coughing and gasping for air. In the next room you can see a man collapsed on the floor unconscious with a young woman coughing hard and covering his body with her own though it looks like she's close to passing out herself. The flames make it difficult for you to get over to her without getting burned and you're not sure how much longer before the building collapses.

Xalnan, Oruyur & Maria: Your efforts are helping to keep the fire from spreading but they're not improving the situation either.

To improve the situation your actions will need to be backed up with clever ideas (such as Xalnan mage handing the buckets slowing the spread of the fire) and/or good skill checks (such as Ulfmar's endurance helping him avoid damage).
Xalnan
 player, 10 posts
 Gnome Arcanist
 AC:17|F:12|R:15|W:13
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 15:45
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Xalnan continues to have his mage hand fling buckets of water high into the fire. He then tries to rally the townsfolk fighting the fire.

A brief bugle fanfare is heard from no where (Ghost Sound cantrip), followed by Xalnan's voice shouting to the crowd. He infuses his words with Arcane power to increase their potency.

"Everyone, this house it gone, but we need to keep the fire contained. Everyone, form the bucket line and focus on the areas where the fire is closest to the surrounding buildings. Get enough buckets, then all throw them onto the fire together. 1, 2, 3, throw! Now refill. Get ready again. 1, 2, 3 throw!"

11:40, Today: Xalnan rolled 27 using 1d20+12.  Suggestion - Arcana instead of Diplomacy.
Ulfmar Hrothstejn
 player, 19 posts
 AC 19, F/R/W 16/11/12
 HP 33, Surges 13/13
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 17:03
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
In reply to GM (msg # 23):

Ulfmar doesn't fear for his life. He will risk burns for the girl as his first priority, if he can't carry both of them out himself. Plus Davik, if needed.

OOC: As an 18 strength Dwarf, both should be doable even as a heavy load, he ought to only be at 40 lbs or so encumbrance. If I need to roll Athletics to get them out, though, I will.

Actually, screw it. Today: Ulfmar Hrothstejn rolled 26 using 1d20+8.  Athletics to get everyone out.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:37, Thu 23 Aug 2018.

Davik Whitest
 player, 21 posts
 Albino Dwarf Bard
 AC16 FRW 14/12/14
Thu 23 Aug 2018
at 17:32
Chapter 1: Winterhaven Aflame
Cinder and flame from the falling beams crash into Davik's face, "Aah!" He quickly wipes them away but it takes longer to put the flames out of his beard, he just waxed it this morning. Half blinded, he stumbles toward the path Ulfmar took, keeping low to breathe better.

09:54, Today: Davik Whitest rolled 13 using 1d20+10.  endurance as suggested.

Still wiping his eyes to try and see better he finds the girl and the man. "I'll take the girl." Davik is realistic about which of them is stronger. "Don't be afraid, we've got you. We're getting out."

10:31, Today: Davik Whitest rolled 18 using 1d20+10.  endurance leaving.