The gathering of the storm.   Posted by Skald.Group: 0
Skald
 GM, 1068 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Sat 29 Aug 2015
at 06:52
The gathering of the storm


You find yourself sitting at a table in a large and very noisy room, crowded beyond belief. You can see what seems to be a bar, situated in the centre, but the distant walls seem unclear, not entirely due to the subdued lighting.  It is very smoky, as thick as fog.  The decor is ... unusual.

An inn, you surmise, by the singing and drinking and fighting going on around you, though one that seems impossibly large.  Indeed it must have countless meeting rooms and private areas, for what else could account for all the doors ?  Barely seen on those far-away walls are doors -  every couple of feet there is another door, yet when you try to count them it proves impossible, for the doors seem to be shifting about, vanishing and reappearing !

You sit in an alcove, a somewhat favourable position, you conclude, though given you can see few indeed no other seats available nearby, it seems rather lucky that you were able to claim it, particularly as you don’t remember how you got here.

Suddenly you become aware of the statue standing at the back of the alcove, a most impressive affair, around 10 feet in height and of fine workmanship, depicting a woman with large wings and a great big sword in one hand, a simple brass helmet atop her head.

You realise you are not alone at the table and look towards the person sitting opposite you,.  But before either of you can say anything a blood-curdling scream drags your attention to a rapidly approaching servant, wide eyed, waving his hands around !

“You can’t sit there !” you are uncertain if that’s an admonishment or a warning until there is a whistling sound above you and you both sink lower in your seats as that great big sword borne by the statue sweeps over your heads, parting the air a mere fraction from the servant’s throat.

To his credit, the man responds admirably, as, with no more than a strangled squeak he continues, “or rather, I should say ‘Welcome, indeed welcome to the World Serpent Inn, most worthy gentlemen !  What is your desire ?  Food ?  Drink ?  I am here to serve you.”

He bows low as the blade withdraws and the statue settles back into the alcove.
Cogwitz
 player, 1 post
Sat 29 Aug 2015
at 15:32
The gathering of the storm
Cogwitz was trying to get his wits about him as he suddenly appeared in the inn, or at least he thought it an inn.  As things became more and more clear he knew that he was indeed in an inn and sitting at a table with some human he hadn't known.  Nor did he know how he got there as well... was it a dream he had just had or...

As the servant came closer and something caught his eye to cause him to drop lower in his seat, the blade from the statue he had just looked at came swinging by.  Most likely the blade would have missed him anyways, but always better to be safe then sorry he always thought.

The World Serpent Inn?  He thought about the name for a moment to see if he could recall it in his studies at the temple.
 Well, thank you, and it is about time we get some service here!  I would like to have some elven wine and a plate of bread and cheese for me.  He looked over to the human and gave him a wink.  What will youuuuuu have?  He said in a questioning tone asking for a name.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 1 post
 Paladin
 Arm of Doros
Wed 2 Sep 2015
at 00:39
The gathering of the storm
Tesseryn resumes his seat after ducking beneath the swinging blade, glaring pointedly at the statue.  He stares distractedly at his hands while the other speaks to the servant, turning them to look at the palm and the back.  He raises an eyebrow at the gnome's inclination for elvish wine, then frowns darkly when the stranger winks at him.

"Take me to a robing room." he commands the servant.  He leaves following the servant and taking a bulging leather sack with him.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 2 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Doros
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 13:30
The gathering of the storm
Tesseryn returns a short time later appearing unchanged.  He resumes his seat beneath the deadly statue and regards his companion.  "I am Tesseryn Brightsoul, The Arm of Doros.  I have no idea where this inn is, or why I appear here as I do, or how there can possibly be so many people."  He looks around, bemused and annoyed, then back at his companion.  "You seem at home here, good master gnome.  What do you know of this place?"

OOC: His portrait has changed but he's the same person, RPoL has just recently loaded the pic I requested.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:32, Thu 03 Sept 2015.

Cogwitz
 player, 2 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2015
at 19:20
The gathering of the storm
Cogwitz had hoped that the waiter would bring back the things he requested, but before that happened the human came back and sat down looking puzzled.  When he introduced himself, Cogwitz smiled.

Nice to meet you Tesseryn, I am Cogwitz.  Have you met many gnomes before?  How about halflings?  I have met many humans before.

What do you mean by your question, why do you appear as you do?  Or how can there be so many people?  Where do you think you are?

Skald
 GM, 1071 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 14:29
The gathering of the storm
After escorting Tesseryn to a place of privacy where he might dress for dinner, the servant hurries off ... and despite his best and most energetic efforts to rally the troops, the paladin makes it back to the table before refreshments arrive.

And arrive in style.

The cherubs bearing loaded platters is a nice touch, though perhaps the angelic choir is taking things a little too far.  Indeed many a head turns to regard you, for it seems that this constitutes rather special treatment.

Bowing low the servant arranges an astonishing array of crockery and cutlery before Cogwitz, as first the platter loaded with exotic breads and pastries and then the other laden with many and varied cheeses is placed onto the table.

Finally he ushers forth no less than six nymphs each bearing what appears to be a handcrafted crystal bottle.  "Of which would you partake, my lord," the ladies chorus as a selection of cups and glasses, goblets and mugs, tankards and drinking horns are wheeled up for Cogwitz's selection.

"And can I bring anything for you, your Radience ?" the servant bows once more as he addresses Tesseryn.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 3 posts
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 03:53
The gathering of the storm

This message was deleted by the player at 06:20, Wed 09 Sept 2015.

Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 4 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Doros
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 06:20
The gathering of the storm
Tesseryn averts his eyes from the alluring six armed woman and regards Cogwitz once more.  "A great number of gnomes, yes.  I beg your forgiveness, I have not met a 'halfling' before.  I come from the land of Ardania, where my sword is pledged to the service or Doros, the God of Justice.  I was recruited by His Magesty Toaster789 to rid his realm of evil, for I deemed his mandate just.  My sisters and I were surrounded by legions of the unholy servants of the Lich King when I fell yet again.  Rather than being raised up as usual, I had a vision of the exiled God of the Moon and the Wind.  And now I am here.  I do not know where this place is, perhaps some Elvish bungalow."  The words appear to be distasteful to him.  Have you been here long, Cogwitz?  And was your appearance ... greatly altered when you arrived?"
Cogwitz
 player, 3 posts
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 06:26
The gathering of the storm
So this was a paladin of some sort.  I wonder what he looked like before...  I haven't been here for long.  This place is called The World Serpent Inn, it is a gateway to many different worlds.  You say you fell?  Do you mean you died?  Do you know what happened to your sisters?  Do you mean sisters in arms or actual sisters?  You also say your form was altered..  what did you look like before?  I am very much the same as I was previous to arriving here.

When the nymphs arrived with the grand array of goodies, Cogwitz began to partake of the delicacies.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 5 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Doros
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 06:39
The gathering of the storm
Tesseryn remains stony faced as the extravagant feast is laid before the halfling.  The servant tries to tempt him.  "A mug of ale, if you would be so kind." he replies tersely, through gritted teeth.  Before long, however, the rich aromas make his stomach grumble in a most unseemly manner, and he realises he is exceedingly hungry.  He reaches for the plainest looking bread roll.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 6 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Doros
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 06:58
The gathering of the storm
Tesseryn watches Cogwitz eat.  The size of the feast seems out of proportion to the size of his companion, but the halfling does not appear to mind.  "Yes, I died, in combat, as I have many times before.  Have you not?  We are a sisterhood of paladins in the service of Dauros.  They fought on, to victory I pray.  My appearence is altered, for as you see, I am now a man."  He smooths a hand down his chest but looks puzzled.  "And you, Cogwitz, whom do you serve?"

This message was last edited by the player at 07:00, Wed 09 Sept 2015.

Cogwitz
 player, 4 posts
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 15:43
The gathering of the storm
Cogwitz stared long at the man sitting across from him.  So this was a woman previously?  How interesting... Cogwitz had heard of such a thing in reincarnation, but had never seen it before.  It took a moment to realize that the man had asked a question....  I am a Priest of Brandobaris name is Cogwitz as I think I stated before, if not then there it is.  As for my appearance, I am the very same as before I arrived.

After eating a few grapes and some cheese and a long drought of wine, Cogwtiz asks, might you have any idea what we are doing here?
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 7 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Dauros
Thu 10 Sep 2015
at 13:33
The gathering of the storm
"None whatsoever.  But if it is the will of Dauros, then it will involve putting the unholy, and agents of chaos, to the sword."  Tesseryn nods solemly.  "A lot."

"Brandobaris?" he frowns, pondering the name.  "I have not heard this name before.  Does your deity Stand for truth, justice and the Ardanian way?"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:34, Thu 10 Sept 2015.

Cogwitz
 player, 5 posts
Thu 10 Sep 2015
at 17:29
The gathering of the storm
Cogwitz tried to not let it show on his face, as he laughed inside.  What is the Ardanian way?  I know nothing of this, but since you asked about my god..  Cogwitz lept off his chair and landed to the side of the table and brandished a Khurki in one hand as he tossed it to the other in a flourish.

He is the seeker of excitement and danger wherever ones feet might take them, for risk-taking leads to life's greatest rewards. Lust for thrill, not for treasure, for greed obscures the true prize of the experience. At the end of the day, those with the wildest tale is the most honored in the eyes of the Brandobaris the "Irrepressible Scamp".  With the last words leaving his mouth Cogwitz rolled under the table and popped up onto his chair once again with a glass of wine moving to his now parched lips.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 8 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Dauros
Sat 12 Sep 2015
at 01:57
The gathering of the storm
Tesseryn's eyebrows shoot up in surprise as he watches Cogwitz' antics.  When the performance is over he frowns and steeples his fingers beneath his chin as he pronounces judgement.  "Hmmmm, sounds Elvish to me.  Your deity would appear to encourage bragging, but I did approve of the part about greed obscuring the truth.  We need not be enemies."

He takes another bite of the bread while waiting for the servant to return with the ale.  "The Ardanian Way, yes." a whimsical look briefly touches Tesseryn's face as he explains the in-joke among his sisters in the Warriors Guild. "It means Law and Order."  His look darkens as he gazes about the room with all its lustful inhabitants and scenes of debauchery.  "There would appear to be precious little of that here.  I pray that my sisers may join me to remedy this World Serpent Inn, if it be the will of Dauros ... if they yet live."


He regards the halfling coolly "Do you know why you are here, Cogwitz?  Did you also die?"
Cogwitz
 player, 6 posts
Sat 12 Sep 2015
at 07:59
The gathering of the storm
Looking over at his new found companion, Cogwitz didn't want to lie, but he also didn't want to tell him the truth.  A story in a story will help deflect he thought.  I was standing in my high priests office in our temple to Brandobaris.  He was speaking to me as if he had spoken to Brandobaris himself this very day.  He said that there were great plans for me and suddenly the room faded and here I sat.  So, for me I didn't die, but was chosen by my god to perform great things.
Skald
 GM, 1073 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Sat 12 Sep 2015
at 13:32
The gathering of the storm


There is a loud explosion from somewhere in the depths of the Inn ... followed immediately by a chorus of raucous laughter.  Neither of the servants so much as glances away - indeed they seem most keen to provide service and will not be distracted from their quest.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:37, Sat 12 Sept 2015.

Wrukaog
 player, 1 post
Sun 13 Sep 2015
at 09:10
The gathering of the storm
Wrukaog, still a bit confused, "Uh. Bloodworst. And ale. Two mugs. Wooden mugs, not gods damned metal."

He then turns to the table where the halfling and human are sitted. "This place not... the same... it was..."

The orc continues to stand and spins around once slowly, taking in the sights and sounds.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:22, Sun 13 Sept 2015.

Cogwitz
 player, 7 posts
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 10:08
The gathering of the storm
Cogwitz looks over the orc as it approached.  Looks like a capable warrior.  As it came to his table and looked at Cogwitz, Cogwitz explained, Have a seat warrior, plenty of drink to go around.

When the orc spoke and said what he said, Cogwitz wondered if the orc had been here before, if so he meant to find out.  So, my fine warrior friend I am Cogwitz and this is Tesseryn.  What is your name?  Also, what do you mean this place is not the same?
Wrukaog
 player, 2 posts
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 10:36
The gathering of the storm
The orc looks down at his own body, patting it, then reaching behind him, to confirm if his possessions, both his body parts and items, are still with him.

The orc remains standing. "It was... smaller here." A brief look of realization breaks across his face, "...smaller there." before cycling back to frustrated confusion.

Looking at the halfling, "Wrukoag, little one."
Cogwitz
 player, 8 posts
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 05:04
The gathering of the storm
With his nose scruntched up a bit, Cogwtiz says, I am not following, you are not the same?  Or is the Inn not the same?  How is it different either way?
Skald
 GM, 1074 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 06:28
The gathering of the storm
The second servant beams at Wrukaog's request.  "A wise decision, sir," he inclines his head to congratulate the orc, taking a deep breath ...

"We have Butterbeer, Scumble, Elsinore, Norbecker, Alamo, Heineken, Ambrosia, Bloodwine, Binge Beer, Ashbury, Duff, Hammerstein, Mudder’s Milk, Old Dusseldorf, Panther Pilsner, Schraderbrau, Screaming Viking, Shotz, Van Der Brau, Wharmpess, Emu Bitter ..."

He falters, both from lack of air and as he gradually becomes aware of the urgent glances being thrown his way by the first servant waiting at Tesseryn's side, though that worthy is distracted by Cogwitz's confusion.

"I see the problem, sirs," he vouchsafes happily.  "Fear not, whatever," his lips curl distatefully, "place you were at before, any of you, you are here now and free to partake of the many delights of the World Serpent Inn !"  His words indicate a pride in this establishment and seem meant to be a comfort.
Cogwitz
 player, 9 posts
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 06:30
The gathering of the storm
Not caring for what the servant said since Cogwitz already knew this information, Cogwitz asks, okay then perhaps you know WHY we are here...?