The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist.   Posted by Skald.Group: 0
Brindle
 player, 788 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Mon 24 Apr 2017
at 13:12
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Brindle smiles warmly at Harmon.

"I am very pleased to meet you, Harmon. You can call me Brindle. I totally agree we would be no good to anyone dead but do you know what good the mayor thinks we would be to him alive? I'm sure we'd love to come and talk to him a bit later but we really would like to finish exploring down here first. This place really is fascinating. Perhaps you could give us a bit of a guided tour? I'm sure that would speed things up splendidly and then we can all go and meet this mayor of yours."
Cogwitz
 player, 107 posts
Mon 24 Apr 2017
at 19:34
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Cogwitz almost let out a belly laugh when the man named Harmon told the group to come with him to see the mayor.  He had to know that we weren't going to just come quietly.  Yes, Harmon, I am Cogwitz by the way, we have a bit more exploring to do down here before any of us are going to be heading back up to see anyone. 
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 150 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Dauros
Tue 25 Apr 2017
at 00:53
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Tesseryn listens as the halflings open the way for a diplomatic solution to the problem.  "Excellent points both.  Brindle please ask Harmon to beckon to the Sheriff to draw him to this temple room.  Meanwhile we shall approach the rat infested tunnels from the east."  He gestures back the way they have just come and studies the faces of his companions to see if they agree.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:53, Tue 25 Apr 2017.

Skald
 GM, 1252 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Tue 25 Apr 2017
at 12:35
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
"Brindle, yes.  Oh, you're to be sacrificed to the Dark God !" Harmon informs Brindle excitedly.  "It's quite an honour really."

"Cogwitz." he smiles in turn at the other Halfling.

"The Mayor was very specific," Harmon looks a little worried at all the talk of further exploring.  "There's some rituals and stuff that they need you for before the actual ceremony."
Brindle
 player, 789 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Fri 28 Apr 2017
at 15:55
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Brindle hears Tesseryn's suggestion and nods back at him then listens to Harmon's explanation. He nods solemnly to the constable.

"That does sound like quite an honour," he says agreeably. "I tell you what. We'll go back down this corridor to the temple of Set to pray for a bit. You can go and fetch the Sheriff to meet us there."

Then he turns and heads back down the corridor towards the rest of the group.

"What do you think? Shall we ambush them in the temple or head around the east side to explore the rat tunnels first?" he whispered to them when they were out of sight and hearing of the constable.
Harmon
Sat 6 May 2017
at 11:40
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
"Good for you !" Harmon seems quite pleased that Brindle's getting into the spirit of the thing, patting the Halfling on the shoulder before he turns back down the corridor.  "Make the prayers short ones !" he calls back with a broad grin as he returns to his fellow Constables.
Cogwitz
 player, 108 posts
Sat 6 May 2017
at 11:46
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
I think that we should just continue on.  I am not in the mood to be ambushing any constables at this time.  I'd rather pick on the rats.  Cogwitz said with a grin once Harmon was gone.
Brindle
 player, 790 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Sat 6 May 2017
at 12:36
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Brindle shakes his head.

"The Sheriff will be after us in a few moments. The best we can do is pick a battlefield that favours us more than them. Besides, they are all evil men, aren't they Tesseryn? Come on, we've got to go back through the temple of Set anyway."

He starts walking back down the corridor toward the south until he reaches that temple again.
Aurion Moonbeak
 player, 593 posts
 A little of this
 A little of that
Sun 7 May 2017
at 05:12
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
The elf considers for a moment. "I believe I might at least slow their pursuit," he smiles.

Aurion lingers behind a moment as the group move off, before casting a quick spell to cover the flagstones at the northern end of the south leading corridor with a slippery oily substance.

"I'm almost tempted to stay and watch the fun. Almost.." he hurries to catch up with the rest of the group.

OOC: Cast Grease
Skald
 GM, 1253 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Sun 7 May 2017
at 12:50
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Halflings do not have very long legs, and Tessryn's heavy armour slows the Paladin too, so it is not long before Aurion rejoins you.  Angry words can be heard in the distance - no doubt the Sheriff is displeased with the news his Constable brings him and the clinks and stomps of pursuit can be heard shortly thereafter.

As you turn north out of Set's temple, a resounding clatter and some extremely bad language indeed rings out down the corridors, bringing a smug smile to Aurion's lips ... and it seems his efforts have the desired purpose for the sounds of pursuit die away, though you make double time down the long straight corridor to press your advantage.

Turning right, you continue to hurry along, entering the room where you found the golden bowl and fought many skeletons.  If you were worried you might be heard, then you are no longer - from the sound of the many shouted oaths the Sheriff and his troop have finally won clear of the slippery surprise that the Elf left them (though more likely the spell expired) and as you listen a moment longer you surmise that they are still following the path you took, taking them further away from you.

You stand before the opening to the tunnels that was previously concealed behind the heavy drapes, where Aurion and Cogwitz heard the chittering of rats.  The tunnel leads north, with side passages to the east nearby, and to the west, forty feet ahead.

OOC: Map of the proceedings updated ...
Cogwitz
 player, 109 posts
Sun 7 May 2017
at 15:33
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Cogwitz heard the roars coming from the sheriff and wondered what it was all about as Aurion hadn't said he put a present there for them on the way in.  It would have been a good laugh for them all.

Anyways, I would like to check out the right passage first as we don't want to have anything coming from behind us.  Or we could break up in two groups if you wanted?
Leisha
 player, 188 posts
Sun 7 May 2017
at 18:50
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Listening, Leisha gives Brindle a sympathetic look as the sounds of the constables die down.  "It sounds like they've declined your invitation to be ambushed," she notes.

Tilting her head, she squints a little, and then frowns.  "Though... they're certainly looking for us, right?  If they're trying to follow our trail, and picked up the wrong one, it will lead them right to Omphalos.  Perhaps we should wait a bit longer on splitting up, and go make sure he's not alone?" she suggests.
Brindle
 player, 791 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Tue 9 May 2017
at 13:17
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
"I would love them to visit Omphalos," Brindle responded with a grin. "If they don't know the password they'll get a lovely warm reception from the wards protecting that room. Or perhaps they'll be shocked by what they find there!"

"Never split the party," he advises Cogwitz.

"The right is as good a place to start as any," he agrees.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 151 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Dauros
Wed 10 May 2017
at 15:29
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Tesseryn is thoughtful as he hustles along the passages, mulling over Brindle's motive for ambushing the sheriff's men.  He notes Leisha's concern for Oomphalos but nods agreement with Brindle's assessment.  While Cogwitz prepares to scout the right passage he shares his thoughts in hushed tones.  "Those pursuing us are indeed evil, each and every one of them.  And presently followers of Set.  However, they are still men, in possession of their own will and able to make choices.  Whilst I knelt before Mitra's holy image I was reminded of old Cornelius, peacefully carrying out his devotions whilst surrounded by corrupt acolytes.  Those same evil fellows were not slain by the hand of Sir Holomir, rather he allowed them to choose their own fate.  It seems to me that Mitra would prefer that all men should grow old, as He has Himself.  I believe there is hope that the Sheriff's men may yet repent of their evil ways, once we have overthrown the power of Set in this village.  But be assured I shall not stay my hand should they choose to attack.  And no quarter shall be given the mindless evil creatures doubtless stalking the dank tunnels ahead of brave Cogwitz."  He draws his greatsword, makes to lower the visor of the helmet he no longer wears, grimaces and enters the tunnel after Cogwitz as quietly as he can.
Skald
 GM, 1254 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Fri 12 May 2017
at 06:12
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Assured that the evildoers will get what they deserve should they dare to trouble Omphalos, you decide to first investigate the eastern passage as Cogwitz suggests.

As before, a chittering sound reaches your ears as you follow the curve of the corridor, but you are undaunted ...

... rounding the corner, you see before you a small cave perhaps thirty feet in width and breadth.  Just to the left of the door is a much chewed and battered mannequin of burlap and reeds, a frayed rope wrapped around its neck; the other end dangling from a projection on the rocky wall.

But before you is a literal rats' nest, a tangle of debris atop which lies the carcass of what might be an orc, though it is difficult to be sure as the dozen or so feral and mean looking rats that are feeding upon it make it hard to see.

The chittering stops at the approach of your light and a score of beady eyes turn in your direction ...

OOC: Map of the proceedings updated ...
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 152 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Dauros
Sat 13 May 2017
at 00:21
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
"We're looking for an Amulet, Mitra's eye."  Tesseryn reminds his companions as he views the scene with disgust.  Unsure exactly how to smite a rat plague, the paladin stands his ground and waves his sword about menacingly "Shoo!"
Brindle
 player, 792 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Sat 13 May 2017
at 13:56
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Brindle looks at Tesseryn and says, "Shoot?"

He shrugs and points his wand at the rats and speaks the command word - [Language unknown:  "Isetmaie!"]. Four orange-glowing missiles shoot forth to strike four of the rats on the left side of the cave.

OOC: Let's see how tough they are.
Brindle rolled 2,3,3,3 using d4+1,d4+1,d4+1,d4+1.  Magic missile damage on 4 rats.

Skald
 GM, 1255 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Tue 23 May 2017
at 05:51
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
The glowing balls of pure magical force from Brindle's wand slam into the rats, badly burning four of them ... and setting the entire nest to begin a high-pitched squealing, even as they all, even the injured, surge forwards to attack.

Tesseryn was expecting this, and the Paladin meets the foremost rodent with a mighty swing of his blade, slicing it in twain, but another swiftly darts into the gap left by the demise of its fellow, though its incisors merely clatter against Tesseryn's heavily armoured leg.

At the Paladin's side, Cogwitz is caught off guard by the speed and ferocity of the attack, and struggles to bring his blades to bear, though he recovers to fend off one particularly game rat which seems intent on sinking its yellowed teeth into his neck.

Those to the rear are alarmed to hear more high pitched squeals from the tunnel behind them, as the cries of those in the nest are answered by others of their kin, though as yet none venture within range of your sight.

OOC: Map of the proceedings updated (dead rats not shown) ...
Cogwitz
 player, 110 posts
Tue 23 May 2017
at 19:18
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Cogwitz did his best to warn off the biting little rodents with his blades.  It was time to dice them up though and so he went full attack on the rat in front of him.


21:18, Today: Cogwitz rolled 17,5,32,5,24,4 using d20+13,d3+3,d20+13,d3+3,d20+8,d3+3.  ratatouie.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 153 posts
 Paladin
 Arm of Dauros
Wed 24 May 2017
at 23:54
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Tesseryn's shiny armoured legs are spattered with cutlets of diced rat from Cogwitz' impressive culinary display next to him.  He swings his greatsword at the one in front of him.  "Can you Give them another volley, Brindle?  Those behind, ware the rear!"
Brindle
 player, 793 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Thu 25 May 2017
at 14:14
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Brindle is happy to do exactly as Tesseryn suggested.

He points his wand again and repeats the command word, [Language unknown:   "Tifoseil!"], to spray 4 more glowing orange magic missiles at the rats.

Brindle targets the 3 rats in the second row and the wounded one in the back row.

OOC: Brindle rolled 5,3,4,4 using d4+1,d4+1,d4+1,d4+1.  Magic missile damage.
Skald
 GM, 1256 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Sun 28 May 2017
at 13:42
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Those at the front make short work of the rats that plague them.  Cogwitz's small blades are a blur as the Halfling thrusts and slices, his curved blade finding the rodent's vitals in an impressive and skillful display.

Tesseryn's effort, by contrast, is somewhat lacking in finesse ... but the Paladin's blow is of immense power and he effortlessly cleaves the creature in twain with but a single swing of his greatsword.

Urged on by Tesseryn, Brindle once more unleashes the power of his wand, and another four glowing balls slam into the rat pack, adding to the carnage as three fall immediately, adding to the impressive pile of dead vermin that now litter the floor.

The squealing is thus much reduced, but still does not let up as the rats fight like ... cornered rats, in fact, bravely leaping once more into the fray, even as rather a lot more of their number arrives to attack from the rear, bringing the squealing back up to its former shrillness.

Teeth snap and bite, but Cogwitz and Tesseryn's speed and solid metal coating respectively serve to deliver the pair from harm's way, while Wrukaog though slower and less heavily armoured somehow manages to avoid those yellowed incisors as well.

OOC: Map of the proceedings updated ... only four rats remain in the nest now, but a substantial number are attacking from the west, with more of them approaching, by the sound of it.
Leisha
 player, 189 posts
Sun 28 May 2017
at 18:39
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Leisha wrinkles her nose.  "Do you have this?" she asks Wrukaog politely, as if handing him a heavy package.  "Or are you going to need help with these?"
Wrukaog
 player, 122 posts
Mon 29 May 2017
at 05:39
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Wrukaog pauses in the act of sheathing his axe to look over his shoulder to raise a brow at Leisha.

"I'll kill 'em," the big Orc rumbles, "you cook 'em."

With his hands now free, Wrukaog sets about punching any of the rats that leap up at him, figuring to skewer them with his spiked gauntlet, and stomping on those that are more timid to tenderise them first.
Brindle
 player, 794 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Mon 29 May 2017
at 14:59
Re: The Dark Tower - the Village of Mitra's Fist
Brindle turns to face the new threat behind them. Seeing so many, so close, he quickly makes an offer to Leisha.

"Swap places with me?"

If she accepts he will move then cast a spell. If she doesn't he will stay where he is and cast the spell anyway, relying on his agility and magic to protect him from the one rat close enough to attack him.

OOC: He casts a Sleep spell centred 10ft west from the bottom left corner of Wrukoag's square. DC17 Will save, 4HD of creatures within 10ft radius, so depending how tough these rats are it may not affect the front 2 rats in front of Wrukaog.