The Dark Tower - Level The Second.   Posted by Skald.Group: 0
Aurion Moonbeak_
 player, 115 posts
Sat 7 Dec 2019
at 01:35
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
"You two can take a seat right here." Aurion instructs the two remaining guards, indicating comfy seats in the sitting room. "Golgant, Goom, you make sure they stay right here and stay nice and quiet. They are not my friends and not Mister Ishpemo's friends. If they can't just sit quietly then you can squash them." He heads upstairs after the others, peering at the trapped step curiously but stepping over over it as he hurries on, looking out for invisible ... anythings.
Skald
 GM, 1389 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Sat 14 Dec 2019
at 13:57
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
In the depths below, Leisha thanks Omphalos then leads her more or less grateful manacled ex-prisoners to the mists.  To their credit the four barely hesitate before stepping forwards, either trusting that the young woman will be true to her word, or else seeing no other alternative ...

... upon the instant they all find themselves back in the White Tower.  A large creature with the body of a lion and the wings of an eagle pokes its decidedly human face around the corner, the raised brows of inquiry giving way to a smile of recognition, two of its kin lurking just behind it.

The Lammasu Rosunn, Eaomir and Dohevin, Liesha recalls, though is uncertain which is which, as Gnevron didn't make that clear when performing the perfunctory introductions on the whirlwind tour of the tower.

"Your companions are ... changed," the closest of the three remarks pleasantly to Leisha.



In the village above, following Aurion's careful instruction, the two guards exchange the obligatory glance before turning and fleeing.

"Squash 'em !" yells Goom delightedly, lumbering forwards, Golgant close behind him as the giants obey orders, causing considerable damage to the door frame and much of the furniture and fittings before it as the chase after them, though from the lack of screams it appears that the two invisible halfings were nimble enough to get out of their way.

Aurion carefully steps over the top stair, even as Tesseryn flings both cup and caution aside, pulling Malicia into the Mayor's bedroom which is furnished as opulently as the rest of his mansion, with fine furniture, a woven tapestry which brings a healthy blush to the former paladin's face as he glimpses it, a sturdy four poster bed (occupied by the aforementioned beautiful,dark-haired woman), and a huge and malevolent statue of the dark god Set in the north-west corner.

"My you're eager," Malicia purrs keenly, as the Mayor curses then reaches out his hand towards the ex-paladin, words of dark power upon his lips, though they are cut off as his tunic provides little protection from Ishpemo's sword thrust.

"Your day is over," the handsome warrior gloats.  "I'm taking charge now !"

"Great !" Wormgear cheers.

OOC:Map of the proceedings updated ...
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 319 posts
 Fallen Paladin
 Broken Arm of Dauros
Sun 15 Dec 2019
at 07:53
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Tesseryn's agreement with Ishpemo was to dispose of the Mayor and Sheriff, and to that end he slips from Malicia's grasp, draws his greatsword and steps up beside Ishpemo.  "There can be only one." Tesseryn adds to Ishpemo's claim, although looking back from Malicia to Skilvahsara with a raised brow as he speaks.  Embracing chaos, he plunges his sword point into the unarmed mayor's chest. 

15:32, Today: Tesseryn Brightsoul rolled 18 using 2d6+10.  sword to mayor.
15:30, Today: Tesseryn Brightsoul rolled 28 using 1d20+13.  sword to mayor.
Wrukaog_
 player, 40 posts
Sun 15 Dec 2019
at 14:11
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
"Get outa me way! Let me at 'im!" Wrukaog snarls as he rushes forward, leaping over the trapped step and pushing past Aurion and the other two crowding the corridor outside the Mayor's room.
Brindle
 player, 933 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Sun 15 Dec 2019
at 14:20
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Still can't see me!

This message was last edited by the player at 14:23, Sun 15 Dec 2019.

Aurion Moonbeak_
 player, 116 posts
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 13:14
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
"Sounds like they've started without you." Aurion chides Wrukaog as he allows the orc to move ahead in the narrow corridor. He only moves 5' ahead along the corridor himself, gesturing for Onoch and Mrod to proceed him into the room, but mostly concentrating on casting a summoning spell (the type that annoyingly takes a full round to cast) and trying to peer through the door.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 320 posts
 Fallen Paladin
 Broken Arm of Dauros
Wed 18 Dec 2019
at 13:22
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Hearing the cavalry arriving, Tesseryn will alter his trajectory to allow the newcomers a slice of sheriff when they enter.  He crosses the middle of the carpet and arrives adjacent to the mayor in the northwest corner of the carpet, thereupon delivering the aforementioned enigmatic comment (artfully constructed to convey different meanings to Ishpemo and Malicia) and sword thrust.
Skald
 GM, 1390 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Sat 21 Dec 2019
at 14:31
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Ishpemo stabs the Mayor again, though he heeds the cry from Wrukaog down the corridor, stepping aside to allow the big Orc access to the bed chamber.

Tesseryn's carefully detaches himself from Malicia's grip and with some clever footwork and fancier wordplay manages to position himself at the mayor's flank, his sword thrust a mighty blow ... and (much to Wrukaog's disappointment) a fatal one, sending the Mayor to the ground where he lies lifeless, his blood soaking into the expensive carpet.

The big Orc does eventually reach the chamber, Ishpemo's lackeys wisely moving further down the corridor to get out of his way, in time to watch the Mayor fall, Brindle unseen on his heels and Aurion following further behind, the words of a summoning spell upon his lips.

In the bed, and hogging all the sheets, Skilvashara opens her mouth to scream, but in a beat the Succubus is at her side, bent close to whisper in her ear ... and the dark-haired woman reconsiders, instead turning her best winsome smile upon Ishpemo.

That worthy stands, somewhat surprised as the Mayor crumples.  "I'd not expected this to be so easy," he admits.  "A fine blow, my friend," he congratulates Tesseryn.

"Terrific !" Wormgear enthuses (whether still under the influence of Malicia's enchantment, glad to see the back of the Mayor or alert to the changes of fortune, it makes no odds).

"Someone better go find Berkam-Shem," Ishpemo suggests raising his eyes roofwards, flushed with victory.

OOC: Map of the proceedings updated ...
Wrukaog_
 player, 41 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2019
at 04:07
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
"Aww, cark it!" Wrukaog grumbles. "Now what can I kill?"

He glares at the woman in the bed. He glares at Malicia, Ishpemo and Tesseryn. He glares at the statue of Set. In short, he glares at everything in the room.
Brindle
 player, 934 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Sun 22 Dec 2019
at 04:15
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Brindle must be somewhere near - still unseen.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 321 posts
 Fallen Paladin
 Broken Arm of Dauros
Sun 22 Dec 2019
at 09:49
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
"Duke Ishpemo!  The new ruler of Mitra's fist!" Tesseryn announces, staging a bow towards Ishpemo.

"The head needs to come off.  Wrukaog, would you do the honours?"  Tesseryn asks matter-of-factly, kneeling beside the corpse to wipe his sword clean on the mayor's tunic.  "Ladies, you may wish to look away." he suggests mildly to the succubus and whatever Skilvashara is.

"We should move quickly against the Sheriff." he advises, looking up from the body towards Ishpemo.
Aurion Moonbeak_
 player, 117 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2019
at 10:04
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
"Well, that was the shortest coup in history." Aurion remarks, entering the room and waving away the summoning spell without wasting it. He crosses to the window, opens it and looks out and up. "A ring? Perhaps on Avvakris' hand, or in a chest? I'll check." he says to the empty air outside. Turning back to the room he looks down his nose at the body on the floor. "Seems every wizard has his price."
Leisha
 player, 259 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2019
at 20:17
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Leisha glances back at her companions, puzzled, and then laughs.  "Oh, no, they're still the same.  These are different companions, prisoners that my companions - the first companions, who still are my companions if not immediately providing company - rescued from the Black Tower.  We were hoping someone here could get their locks off.  Is there anyone here who's good with that sort of thing?" she asks, hopefully.
Skald
 GM, 1391 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Tue 31 Dec 2019
at 13:02
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Tesseryn tosses Wrukaog a bone, and while a beheading isn't the same as a good fight, the big Orc needs to take his frustrations out somehow.

Skilvashara hurriedly follows the ex-Paladin's advice (aided and abetted by the look Wrukaog casts her way), averting her gaze and shuddering dutifully as the whish-thunk is followed by the bloody head rolling across the carpet, though Malicia does no such thing, licking her lips as she relishes the spectacle.

Tending to the small matter of Berkam-Shem's 'payment' and with impressive theatre, Aurion stoops to pluck a ring carved from an emerald in the shape of a hooded serpent from the dead Mayor's hand.

Pleased with the way his rise to power is progressing thus far, Ishpemo watches all this with a benign smile upon his handsome face, nodding with pleasure at Tesseryn's reminder.

"To the Constabulary then," he agrees.  "Once Merth is dead, we can call Ollem at our leisure."

"Let's go !" Wormgear enthuses, loving this plan. 



In the White Tower, somewhere below, the Lammasu shrug their winged shoulders ... but the assistance of the gnomes at the nearby guardpost is swiftly sought, which in turn leads to the appearance of yet more gnomes and, at length a hammer and chisel hove into view which are expertly applied to free the prisoners.

Indeed, the gnomes seem to approve greatly of the four as they share the same general outlook though they follow different deities ... and continuing as they started, three of the four offer grateful thanks, while the fourth does not say, seemingly finding the gnomes no less unclean that Leisha.

They do offer their names, and his, though - the priestess Vashalla's was already known to you, of course, but you are now able to make the acquaintance of the warrior Haltashaar and the monk Virdonitii and know that you are held in contempt by Moram Infidel Bane.
Wrukaog_
 player, 42 posts
Wed 1 Jan 2020
at 13:58
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Wrukaog laughs out loud as the Mayor's head makes a last desperate attempt to escape. He grabs a fistful of hair and holds the head to stare down at the decapitated body it was previously so attached to. Still laughing he drops the head beside the body and searches the body more thoroughly for anything else.
Brindle
 player, 935 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Wed 1 Jan 2020
at 14:04
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Nothing to see here.  :o)
Aurion Moonbeak_
 player, 118 posts
Thu 2 Jan 2020
at 03:45
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Returning to the window, Aurion holds up the ring and uses Prestidigation to make it vanish. "Paid in full, Shem. Happy travels."

He lingers a moment at the window, looking to see what's happening in the courtyard and further afield in the village, and pocketing the emerald ring. He turns back to the room ready to leave when Ishpemo departs.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 322 posts
 Fallen Paladin
 Broken Arm of Dauros
Mon 6 Jan 2020
at 10:34
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Tesseryn takes a moment to figure out what has amused Wrukaog.  Remembering the role he has chosen to play he rises and favours the orc with a fierce grin.  'job well done'.

Yet when he notices Skilvashara's reaction the years of diplomacy and decorum prevail.  "Is there somewhere we can place the body until the proper arrangements can be made?"  He looks to Isphemo and Malicia for advice, then makes ready to drag the body out of the room on route to the constabulary.
Skald
 GM, 1392 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Sun 12 Jan 2020
at 13:14
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Having reunited it with its head, Wrukaog finds naught else upon the body of the previous Mayor ... indeed, as Aurion has taken his serpent ring, there is literally nothing else on him save for the hastily donned and now bloody and rent tunic. 

Ishpemo nods his understanding to Tesseryn.  "Throw it in the kennels," he tells Wormgear, gesturing vaguely towards the corpse.

"Excellent !" Wormgear can barely contain his excitement at the prospect.

Once the Elf has staged the payment to Berkam-Shem, and observed the village to be quiet save for the giants' pursuit of the two panicked guards now a goodly distance to the South, the new Mayor leads you back down the stairs, Malicia once more firmly attached to the ex-Paladin's elbow, out the ruined entrance to the wide open gates and across the empty square to the Constabulary.

Therein you find Merth, and half a dozen of his men, engaged in a frank and open exchange of views.  The Sheriff snarls as he sees you.  "Get them !" he orders the constables who to a man don't move an inch.
Wrukaog_
 player, 43 posts
Mon 13 Jan 2020
at 13:48
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Wrukaog tenses at the order from the Sheriff but after a glance at the reluctant constables he bursts out laughing.

"What's that, Sherriff? You offering to resign already? Then hand over that shiny star of yours! I reckon that would look carking awesome right here on my chest!" he tells Sheriff Merth.

"The rest of you boys better pick the right side real quick if you want to keep your jobs, and your carking heads!" he snarls.

He readies his axe to leap into the fight as soon as it starts.
Tesseryn Brightsoul
 player, 323 posts
 Fallen Paladin
 Broken Arm of Dauros
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 00:43
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Wrukaog won't have to wait long.  Tesseryn has no desire to hear what the sheriff may say about their earlier meeting in the rat-tunnels.  Disengaging Malicia from his arm he plunges towards the mayor with with greatsword drawn ... and stumbles on the step.

08:38, Today: Tesseryn Brightsoul rolled 14 using 1d20+13.  greatsword to sheriff.
Aurion Moonbeak_
 player, 119 posts
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 03:30
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Trailing behind the others, Aurion is too far off to laugh at Tesseryn's trip. Being able to see invisible things at present, he quietly says to Brindle and Cogwitz "I wonder how Leisha is getting on? I left the golden lion amulet, Mitra's eye, on a pew in plain sight down in the Set temple below the inn. I hoped that Leisha might pick it up when she passed. Would you two like to sneak back down and check if she's all right? There doesn't seem to be much to do up here." He surreptitiously passes the mayor's ring to Brindle. "It seems fitting to give a stolen ring to a halfling for safe keeping."

He follows the procession to the constabulary. He readies a Magic Missile to fire at the sheriff if it looks like he is either trying to escape or trying to talk his way out of his predicament.
Brindle
 player, 936 posts
 Brindle Thistlefoot
 Halfling
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 15:04
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Though still invisible to everyone else, Brindle is not too surprised that Aurion knows where he is. He takes the ring and whispers back after only a moment's hesitation.

"Oh dear, it certainly wouldn't do for that to fall into the wrong hands again. All right, I'll go. Are you coming too, Cogz?"

As soon as Cogwitz decides on his course of action Brindle heads back to the inn, keeping hold of Cogwitz's hand if the other halfling is coming along with him. He will halt outside the inn and renew their invisibility spells with his wand before heading inside. At least the way down to the temple of Set should not be blocked as the giants very conveniently broke the doors off and brought them out with them!
Skald
 GM, 1394 posts
 Licenced to Kill
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 02:36
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
The sheriff curses, but briefly, as his lackeys pick the winning side.  With eyes fixed upon Wrukaog's great axe, his gaze barely flickers as Tesseryn stumbles.  Though Merth is not one for glorious last stands ... taking advantage of the distraction which the ex-paladin affords him, he pauses only to throw his badge in the big Orc's direction before taking off as fast as his feet will carry him, bolting through the open door at the rear of the Constabulary ... much to the surprise of his former underlings who mill around in puzzlement.

"We don't have a back door ..." one of them ventures.  "Or any windows ..."



At Aurion's prompting, and with the Mayor's ring in hand, the two invisible halflings race back to the Inn and pass unseen through the crowd which buzzes with half-hearted discussion concerning the very recent political upheavals.  The Innkeep doesn't look at all happy, but even his complaints heard in passing are mild.  Nobody seems keen to defend the former Mayor ... though nobody seems much pleased that Ishpemo is taking over either.  Consensus has it that more drinks are needed.

The staircase seems to have survived the Giants' passage, and even though it appears even more rickety than before at least it serves its purpose, and Brindle and Cogwitz swiftly gain the temple of Set below where they spot the golden lion amulet on the pew where the Elf left it, though there is no sign of Leisha.



In the White Tower, the former prisoners have come to terms with their early release with unspurprising alacrity, and Haltashaar and Virdonitii once more entreat Leisha, and the gnome guards for good measure, to assist them in finding the missing Vastavaar and mace.  Vashalla displays more gratitude but the priestess declares her intention to return to search with the pair.  Moram continues to maintain a disapproving silence for the most part, though he does mutter something to Vashalla in what Leisha assumes is their native tongue.
Wrukaog_
 player, 44 posts
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 13:17
The Dark Tower - Level The Second
Wrukaog snatches the sheriff's badge out of midair and holds it up as the sheriff flees.

"After 'im, boys! There's a nice fat reward on his head, as of right now. 100 gold for his carkin' head! I don't much care whether the rest of him is still attached or not."

Wrukaog gives them a moment or two to decide whether they are going or staying then grabs whichever one of the constables looks least keen to go chasing after Merth.

"You get to give me the grand tour of this building," he informs the lucky man. "Where are Merth's rooms. His office, his quarters. What else you got here? You got any carking prisoners here?"