Brave New World.   Posted by DM Heath.Group: 0
Kahan Singh
 player, 1932 posts
 81/81 HP AC 1
 Thac0 16 Level 9 Cleric
Tue 9 Oct 2018
at 14:24
Re: Brave New World
"I think I know why Geebo was so afraid now..." Kahan comments as he begins casting, stepping away from the creature as he prays to the gods that Borimer isn't cut to ribbons in seconds.
Tahldar of Tyrannia
 player, 561 posts
 Ac 3 Hp 54/54
 Thac0 18
Wed 10 Oct 2018
at 17:02
Re: Brave New World
Tahldar wishes he was closer to Borimer to give a stoneskin.  But he's not and his options are limited.

Knowing his invisibility will end, he decides to cast anyway.

OOC:  Cast a 9D lightning bolt on the creature.

Leogold Silvershaper
 player, 250 posts
 33/56
Fri 12 Oct 2018
at 03:34
Re: Brave New World
Leo shudders at all the blade but tries to find a position behind the creature for a sneak attack if possible in the hopes of getting in one solid attack in before being impaled by blades.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 260 posts
Tue 16 Oct 2018
at 20:12
Re: Brave New World
Shae begins casting...and then steps out to join the fray with her ancestral spear glowing with power.
DM Heath
 GM, 5839 posts
Wed 17 Oct 2018
at 17:40
Re: Brave New World
ROUND ONE

Borimer rushes the creature with his sword and swings it mightily.  But Borimer finds something he is not used to.  The long blades extending from the creature's body swipe aside the sword.  Borimer cannot reach the underside flesh of the creature with his sword and Godslayer is effectively useless.

Kahan is casting...the metal blades of the creature begin getting cold.  (0 hp dmg first round, 1d2 on second round, and 1d4 dmg per round thereafter.  This creature is not a golem, so it has a body of flesh deep within the blades.)

Tahldar casts lightning bolt...(saving throw made/half damage)...the creature jolts in place for a moment as the shock hits.  (22 hp dmg.)

Leo successfully sneaks around behind the creature unnoticed.  Unfortunately, the whole creature is covered in blades and a backstab (without a very long weapon) may not be possible.

Shae casts a spell, and her spear glows brightly as she rushes into the fray.

Fingas sees that Borimer's sword did no good, and he sheathes his own sword and runs to higher ground on the rocks.  He pulls out his bow to attempt to shoot.  "We need something to get to the flesh beyond the blades," he calls out to you.  "Short weapons are useless."

Shae stabs with her spear, and the long weapon finds its mark, although she comes perilously close to impaling herself on the blades.  (13 dmg.)

Two arrows fly from Fingas.  One bounces harmlessly off the blades, but the other slides between the blades to the flesh beyond. (8 dmg.)

The Keshnar strikes out with its four bladed arms...twice at Borimer and twice at Shae.  Borimer is hit once but dodges the second blow by falling back.  (15 dmg)

Shae is too close to evade and takes two crushing blows.  She is lucky to dive down (saving throw made) just before the Keshnar seeks to engage her in a bladed bear hug that would have left her nothing more than a pincushion.  (26 dmg.)

The Keshnar next makes a loud roaring, screeching sound that you remember hearing in the forest.  This time, it is directed at the rocks.  A cone of wavy air--like the air in a heat wave--flies from its maw.  It strikes Fingas as though a wall of force has slammed into him, and he flies back against the rock, barely keeping hold of his bow.  (6 dmg and stunned for one round)

The Keshnar then turns its attention to those surrounding it...

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:40, Wed 17 Oct 2018.

Tahldar of Tyrannia
 player, 562 posts
 Ac 3 Hp 54/54
 Thac0 18
Wed 17 Oct 2018
at 18:11
Re: Brave New World
Tahldar does not care that he is now visible.  He casts another lightning bolt in a desperate attempt to fell the creature.

OOC:  Tahldar will cast another 9D lightning bolt at the Keshnar.


Kahan Singh
 player, 1933 posts
 81/81 HP AC 1
 Thac0 16 Level 9 Cleric
Wed 17 Oct 2018
at 18:43
Re: Brave New World
"This is probably a long shot, but..." Kahan muttered as he pulled out his Wand of Paralyzation and aimed it at the Kreshnar.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 261 posts
Thu 18 Oct 2018
at 22:11
Re: Brave New World
Shae steps back to cast a spell.  The druid waves her hands and focuses her energy down at the ground of the creature's feet.

(Casting Earthmaw. 1d4 dmg per caster level and +3 AC to anything standing on it.  19 or 20 means swallowing the creature whole and burying it 2d4 feet beneath the ground.)

Earthmaw causes a patch of ground 10 feet in diameter to open and form a gigantic mouth with stalactite teeth. The mouth springs forth on a short serpentine neck, much like a water weird, and attacks once in a direction the caster dictates.

Borimer
 player, 2811 posts
 Ac 0 Hp 41/90
 Thac0 12 Mvt18"
Mon 22 Oct 2018
at 15:14
Re: Brave New World
Borimer falls back a step when the creature strikes him and then scrambles back another 20 feet before drawing his bow and firing off two arrows...
DM Heath
 GM, 5840 posts
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 18:40
Re: Brave New World
ROUND TWO

Tahldar begins casting...

Borimer is retreating slightly and pulling out his bow...

Shae is casting...

Fingas is stunned from the strange attack of the creature and is recovering from the wall of force that had slammed him against the rocks.

Leo pulls out his shortbow to shoot from behind...

More lightning flies from Tahldar's hands, lighting up the air and causing crackling all around.  The hit is dead on. (Saving throw failed.  32 dmg.)

Borimer and Leo fire arrows.  Leo makes a critical hit right in the back of the neck.  (Natural 20, triple damage.  18 dmg.)  Borimer also hits with his arrow.  (5 dmg.)

A patch of ground 10 feet in diameter opens into a giant mouth with stalagtite teeth beneath the creature when Shae's spell finishes.  The creature is too large to be swallowed up by the hole, but it does slow it down and do some damage.  (16 dmg.)

Kahan gets his wand out and sends a ray at the Keshnar.  One of its four arms drops limply to its side.  Otherwise, the wand has no effect.

With its three remaining arms, the Keshnar turns quickly and leaps out of the gaping maw, landing near Leo.  The Keshnar is riddled with arrows and its blood is a brownish-black, almost a tar color, as it falls to the earth.

The Keshnar strikes out three times at Leo...

Luckily for Leo, only one of the bladed arms hits its mark, but still, a blow from arms and claws made out of blades is no small thing.  Leo sprays blood as he falls back into the darkness of the trees and mist.

The Keshnar spins around again while being pummeled by arrows and spells and again lets out a wall of force screech.  This time, Borimer and Kahan are both lined up in its way.  The screech...

...deafens Borimer, who temporarily cannot hear.  He is also thrown back violently by the wall of force.  Although he does not hit the rocks, the bow is knocked from his hands and he takes 17 dmg.

...Kahan is farther back.  He is not deafened but is not so lucky with the rocks.  He hits them hard.  (24 dmg.)  He manages to hold onto his equipment.

The Keshnar is badly hurt and is now more angry than ever.

Whether the result of its screeches or the time of day, the mists around you begin clearing up.

You remember what that means.  You must be on solid rock to avoid the effects of the "Angry Earth."

Leo is the farthest from rocks (1 full round move), followed by Borimer and Shae (1/2 round move).

Kahan and Tahldar are near the rock area (a few steps).  Fingas and Geebo are safely on the rocks.
Leogold Silvershaper
 player, 251 posts
 33/56
Tue 30 Oct 2018
at 01:41
Re: Brave New World
Based on his last experience, Leo moves to the farthest point he can and still get a shot off.
Tahldar of Tyrannia
 player, 566 posts
 Ac 3 Hp 54/54
 Thac0 18
Thu 1 Nov 2018
at 23:13
Re: Brave New World
Tahldar moves as quickly as he can to the safety of the rocks.

OOC:  If he can do it, Tahldar will cast magic missle (5 missiles for 5d4+5) at the Keshnar after getting to safety on the rocks this round.  Casting time is 1 for magic missile which is pretty fast...

Borimer
 player, 2812 posts
 Ac 0 Hp 24/90
 Thac0 12 Mvt18"
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 11:22
Re: Brave New World
Everything narrows to a distant ringing in Borimer's ears and the blood flowing from his wounds. He attempts to grab his bow and run to the safety of the nearest rocks.
Kahan Singh
 player, 1936 posts
 81/81 HP AC 1
 Thac0 16 Level 9 Cleric
Fri 2 Nov 2018
at 12:36
Re: Brave New World
Hoping to finish off the creature in front of them, Kahan casts another spell as he tries to make it to the rock before the fog dissipates too badly.
DM Heath
 GM, 5842 posts
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 18:56
Re: Brave New World
Everyone begins moving toward the rocks as the fog dissipates.

The creature, badly wounded now, begins staggering backwards as Kahan and Tahldar hit it with fire based and magic missile attacks, which both strike their mark.

It disappears, stumbling into the trees, with a howl of consternation that reverberates around you.

With the creature gone, you look about the rocks. You remember your goal is to find Tenvillah, the wise yet reclusive gnome, who lives somewhere in these parts.  Geebo studied with Tenvillah, and he looks at the rocks.

"Geebo seem to remember, though it has been thousands of fogs past."  You recall that they called the young gnome a child even though he was about 100 years old. If a fog is once a day, it has been a number of years.


You recall the shard of directions carved into the broken shield:

...to avoid the Keshnar;
 ...in the meadow of mist,
 ...pointing tree.
 ...at Gnome's Head Rock.
 ...in stone,
 ...enter down the tunnel.


Geebo inspects the rocks, squinting to see if they look like gnomes as he remembered.  Then he says with a smile, "This be Gnome's Head Rock.  We find tunnel up there."  He points to a ledge just behind the "gnome" rock.

To your left, you hear the injured Keshnar scream again its deafening howl as the fog continues to clear.  It is farther away now.

Then another sound chills you to the bone.  The scream rises again, loud and angry, but this time it comes from your right.  It is the answer call of another Keshnar.

Geebo stiffens.  "The fiends of the mist," he says in fear, leading you up to the ledge.

Apparently, the commotion and the clearing fog has attracted yet another visitor.  You see a shadow pass over you and look up to see Ozymandius circling above.  The old dragon is preparing for a pass at you in which he will unleash his deadly breath.

You scramble to the ledge with Geebo and then stop.  He is staring at the ground.

"The tunnel," he says, pointing at a mass of boulders and rocks.  "It cave in."

As the mist is gone, you remember the flora had a bluish tint, and the warning you were given was that anything that touches the plant life when the mist is gone will be drained of water, even human flesh.

But now you are standing on a ledge on top of a massive cave in and a dragon is about to pelt you with its deadly breath.  There are rocks to take cover behind, or you can jump down to the ground below, or whatever actions you think might help.

(In the picture, you are standing at the area slightly left and below center.)
Tahldar of Tyrannia
 player, 567 posts
 Ac 3 Hp 54/54
 Thac0 18
Fri 9 Nov 2018
at 19:17
Re: Brave New World
"Find cover!" Tahldar commands as he takes action, both to protect himself and hopefully drive off the dragon again.

OOC: Tahldar will make for the nearest rock for cover, and cast a magic missile (5d4+5, range 150 yards, casting time 1).  In hopes he can drive off the (previously wounded and hopefully still) dragon before it gets it's breath off.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:05, Sat 10 Nov 2018.

Kahan Singh
 player, 1937 posts
 81/81 HP AC 1
 Thac0 16 Level 9 Cleric
Sat 10 Nov 2018
at 01:18
Re: Brave New World
Kagan pulls his Rod of Absorption out and begins casting.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 262 posts
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 20:36
Re: Brave New World
Shae runs to take cover behind the nearest rock pillar and looks around for a potential alternate entrance.  Her ancestral spear is at the ready and she is murmuring various animal forms she might take right at the moment to escape this madness.
Leogold Silvershaper
 player, 252 posts
 33/56
Wed 14 Nov 2018
at 03:08
Re: Brave New World
Leo attempts to take cover behind the rocks assuming that such is more cover than he is already shooting from.  For the moment he will try and stay totally hidden as opposed to trying to get a shot off or anything else.
Borimer
 player, 2813 posts
 Ac 0 Hp 24/90
 Thac0 12 Mvt18"
Wed 14 Nov 2018
at 12:04
Re: Brave New World
Borimer clutches his side and considers options for surviving the wyrm. He immediately realizes there aren't many and attempts to take cover by leaping to the ledge behind the 'gnome rock'.
DM Heath
 GM, 5843 posts
Fri 21 Dec 2018
at 18:06
Re: Brave New World
As Kahan begins casting, as the dragon swoops down, and as the new even larger spiked monster closes in from the forest, all seems lost.  But when Geepo sees Kahan casting, he seems to come to life, remembering that he himself had spells to help protect you against the changes in the earth.

He begins casting in his own language, pointing at the ground.

The spell does not go quite right--or maybe it goes too well--because the earth all around you suddenly begins to fall and turn to mud.  You feel yourself falling as though in a slow motion cave in as the rocks and dirt turn to mud with a slimy and then liquid consistency.

And as you fall, the dragon's breath hits the stone around where you just stood moments before, and you see the giant spiked creature launching itself from the ground and swiping at the dragon, hitting it with one giant arm and sending the dragon flying away with a shriek as gobs of its blood fall around you.

Then all is dark as you fall and slide, landing with a clump in near total darkness with a landslide of mud and rock behind and above you.

You manage to jump to a side passage, rolling from the mudslide into a passage, which then soon becomes completely dark as the entrance is covered with mud.

You push the mud away from your clothes and weapons and try to see in the darkness.  Before the mud blocked the light, you thought you saw skeletons and skulls all around.

But now it is just dark and smells of dirt.

You hear something approaching from what must be the far end of the pitch black corridor.
Kahan Singh
 player, 1938 posts
 81/81 HP AC 1
 Thac0 16 Level 9 Cleric
Fri 21 Dec 2018
at 19:01
Re: Brave New World
Heaving a sigh as they, once again, managed to barely avoid a grisly death (this was becoming a rather unwanted and far too common occurence), Kahan cleans himself off as best he can before he notices the sound of footsteps. "Geebo, please tell me that is your mentor coming..." he muttered as he fingered the shaft of his mace.
Borimer
 player, 2814 posts
 Ac 0 Hp 24/90
 Thac0 12 Mvt18"
Fri 21 Dec 2018
at 22:54
Re: Brave New World
Borimer wiped the mud from his eyes but could see nothing. He kept them closed and focused instead on the sounds of the approaching something, relying on his training for fighting in the dark...
Tahldar of Tyrannia
 player, 568 posts
 Ac 3 Hp 54/54
 Thac0 18
Fri 21 Dec 2018
at 23:04
Re: Brave New World
Tahldar rolls as best he can with the tumbling through the mud, glad at least they are now safe from the dragon but he shudders to think how dirty he must be.

Looking to get his bearings he pulls forth his dagger and casts a light spell upon it.

Addressing whomever is approaching them he says something in Dwarvish, and then in Gnomish.
[Language unknown:   Antwhiterlar.]
[Language unknown:   Romine'histio.]

OOC:  Tahldar will cast a 0 level light spell on his dagger.

Leogold Silvershaper
 player, 253 posts
 33/56
Sun 23 Dec 2018
at 22:33
Re: Brave New World
"I can see it - seems to be slightly larger than me and warm since as I said, I can see it. Course it could be something else. " Leo whispers.  Leo looks to see if it seems to be carrying anything threatening or otherwise sneaking up on us.  If it seems to be friendly, he calls out in common, "Hello friend.  It seems we are stuck down here just as you are?"