The Haunted House -- thread 2.   Posted by CoC Keeper.Group: 0
Tyler Gregory
 player, 501 posts
Mon 28 Jul 2014
at 12:23
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Tyler to Charles:  "Yes, I did.  Rest seems to have been helpful.  Perhaps we can figure out what happened with you.  Don't worry about it for now."
CoC Keeper
 GM, 390 posts
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 21:19
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
It is now about one hour until sundown, but it has been a long day.

Once Charles gets his bearings, he sits up and blinks his eyes a few times.  "Odd, I don't really feel tired now.  It was that damn spell, wasn't it?  I remember that clearly.  I tried to read it, it was all messed up, and then something happened... I don't remember much after that."

After five minutes of sitting still, he gets up and walks around his bedroom, then looks out a window.  The sun is still up, but not for much longer.  Tyler sees that Charles does not seem to be slipping back into the sleep state.

When William calls, he gets Tyler on the phone.  William explains about the confusion spell and counterspell.

What do they do?
William Dornford
 player, 520 posts
Mon 4 Aug 2014
at 22:14
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
In reply to CoC Keeper (msg # 654):

William will do whatever Tyler and Charles think best about trying the counterspell.
Tyler Gregory
 player, 502 posts
Wed 6 Aug 2014
at 22:54
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Tyler passes William's comments to Charles, suggests he think about it, and that they return to the others to think this out further.
William Dornford
 player, 521 posts
Fri 8 Aug 2014
at 03:19
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
William suggests that they gather at the barn where the grimoire is, since he would need access to it to perform the counterspell. However, he thinks it would be best if they rested more first, since it may be stressful.
Tyler Gregory
 player, 503 posts
Sat 9 Aug 2014
at 13:00
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Tyler has no problem with more rest if needed.
CoC Keeper
 GM, 391 posts
Wed 20 Aug 2014
at 20:03
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
After a short rest for everyone, Charles is still feeling well.  He thinks whatever happened to him earlier has run its course, and Tyler has noticed nothing odd about his behavior since he took his long nap.

Charles tells Tyler that his memories of what happened right after he tried to read the spell have not returned to him.  Everything from then until he woke up in his own room is a blur, but since then his memory is intact.

They can now return to the barn as they planned before this short rest, or do they wish to do something else?  I think we can say that it is closer to sundown now, maybe thirty minutes to go.
William Dornford
 player, 522 posts
Thu 21 Aug 2014
at 02:14
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
William says "If we are to attempt the counterspell today, it should be soon.  I would prefer not to do it in the dark of night."
Tyler Gregory
 player, 504 posts
Thu 21 Aug 2014
at 22:41
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Tyler agrees not to return to the barn tonight, but to do so first thing in the morning.  He has no ideas as to what to do in the meantime, but will defer to William, if he has any ideas.
William Dornford
 player, 523 posts
Thu 21 Aug 2014
at 23:23
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
William said, "I do not see much we can do, except perhaps repeat the chant and do whatever else we can to strengthen ourselves for the ritual --it is likely to be a very...demanding operation."
CoC Keeper
 GM, 392 posts
Mon 25 Aug 2014
at 21:31
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
While Tyler is speaking with William, Charles speaks to Tyler for a moment.

"If we wait, the gate will remain open until tomorrow, assuming we can close it then with the new spell.  To date, we've been lucky that nothing has leaked through it other than weird atmospheric effects.  That we know about, anyway.  Do you think our luck will hold?"

Tyler and William know that gates can potentially bring all manner of terrible creatures into this world.  Whether this one can do so, of course, they don't know.
William Dornford
 player, 524 posts
Tue 26 Aug 2014
at 02:19
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
William looks grimmer than ever after Charles's remark and says "You have a serious point there. If night makes doing the counterspell harder, it may also make the chance of ...something evil getting through the gate higher  -- darkness aids evil in all its aspects. If you feel that the danger is great enough to justify risking the counterspell now in the evening, I am willing, but if so it should be as soon as possible before it gets later and darker." He does not sound happy about the prospect.
Tyler Gregory
 player, 505 posts
Thu 28 Aug 2014
at 23:30
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Tyler starts with surprise: " Good grief, man, you'r e right.  We may wish to throw caution to the wind and go now, let come what may."
CoC Keeper
 GM, 393 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 17:16
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Since Tyler and William are in agreement something should be done sooner rather than later, they will head back to the barn.  Charles, who still seems to be doing fine, accompanies them.

When they reach the barn, they find the crew on guard, though some are resting.  Farley reports that the place has been quiet since they left, and they all hope that will continue.  Nighttime is descending, and weather has turned for the better with clearing skies and no more snowfall.  Everyone seems worried that unfortunate things will occur before morning, and their dread is growing as it gets darker outside.

Farley has explosives in place at the approaches to the doors to east and west, and he's made sure the wiring is still as he left it.  The windows have been boarded up where they were broken or weakened and barricades placed at all entrances.  They have to move one out of the way to let Tyler's group back inside.

Charles tells them what's happened, as much as he remembers, from his point of view.  He seems to be back to normal, or nearly so, and everyone is happy to see his health has returned.

Charles glances at the safe where the grimoire resides and says, "We think a spell was cast on the text that I was trying to read, a spell that resists the reader's attempts to understand the text.  It was potent enough to leave me out of it for well over an hour.  I still can't remember what happened since the time I tried to read it until my recovery at home.  Almost no memory, just hazy bits."

Farley asks, "And what are you guys thinking to do next?"

When they've explained about the counterspell William found, he says, "So, cast the counterspell on the spell text in the grimoire, then try to read the gate closing spell again?"
Tyler Gregory
 player, 506 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2014
at 23:38
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Tyler nods in agreement.
William Dornford
 player, 525 posts
Fri 12 Sep 2014
at 02:44
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
William replies resolutely, "That is my intention." He begins to prepare for the counterspell ritual, while still murmuring the protective chant.
CoC Keeper
 GM, 394 posts
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 18:32
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Everyone who can be spared from guarding the barn gathers around the table where the reading and casting will take place.  William has the counterspell with him in one of the books from his library.

There is no guarantee it will work as they hope it will, but the odds of success seem good to William based on the description of the confusion spell it is designed to counter.  Once everyone near the table has established the chant, William brings out the grimoire and prepares the counterspell.  When he's ready, he opens the grimoire to the spell text that he will target.

He casts the counterspell. It is almost entirely verbal in nature along with some simple gestures.  As he completes the words, a complete and eerie silence envelops him and the others near the grimoire.  The sound of the investigators' chant disappears, and their hearts leap into their throats as they wonder what is happening.  But it only lasts a moment, perhaps no longer than two seconds.  When the moment passes, the chant is heard again as though it never stopped.  They also smell a bit of something foul and stomach churning in the room, like rotting corn, which is not unusual when a Mythos spell has been cast.

William feels slightly dizzy and fuzzy-brained when he finishes the counterspell, but otherwise thinks he's no worse for the experience.  He is sitting, so the dizziness should pose no danger.  As the seconds pass, his wits slowly return to him.  He knows that he really is worse off than before. As he uses such spells, the negative effects will accumulate, and someday the odds will catch up with him.

The others watching William can tell he is not at 100% after the spell's been cast.  He looks groggy, as if he's been working too long without a break.  The observers themselves appear to have been unaffected in any way.

What do they do?
Tyler Gregory
 player, 507 posts
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 22:34
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Tyler:  "Perhaps William should attempt to read the grimoire again, when he's rested."
William Dornford
 player, 526 posts
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 02:36
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
William replied with a visible effort, "I might try it --but certainly only after a good rest.  This spell I just did was certainly...draining."
CoC Keeper
 GM, 395 posts
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 20:43
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Since they've decided to wait, Charles marks the page and stows the grimoire in the safe.  Charles still feels fine, but is worried about what might happen if he tries to read the spell that William just tried to untangle.  Right now they don't know if the spell worked, though it definitely did something.

William finds a place to recover, but the grogginess does not pass quickly.

The sun has gone down, and those who were chanting have returned to their posts to watch into the darkness.

After ten minutes, Charles asks William, "How are you feeling?"

William feels a little better than he did, but he's still fuzzy-- as anyone listening can tell when he answers Charles.  Full recovery may take another half hour or maybe more.

Charles says, "I can try reading the gate closing spell.  I can't say if I'm fully recovered from the sleep effect, but I don't feel at all tired."  Recall he is the only one who knows Latin other than William.

What do they do?
William Dornford
 player, 528 posts
Fri 17 Oct 2014
at 03:24
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
William looks rather muzzily at Charles and says, "If you feel you are able, you might try. I certainly cannot do it for a while yet."
Tyler Gregory
 player, 509 posts
Fri 17 Oct 2014
at 22:45
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Tyler is willing to chant unless someone wants him to do something else, which he is willing to do.
CoC Keeper
 GM, 399 posts
Fri 27 May 2016
at 00:37
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Charles says, "William, you did your part with the counterspell.  I don't think we should wait any longer than we have to.  If it worked, I should have no problem reading the Latin."

He clears the table, gets the grimoire out of the safe, and places it on the table before him, keeping it closed.  Once everyone not busy guarding the barn is in position around him, they begin to chant.  He waits for a minute before he opens the book to the spell for closing the gate.

The last time he tried reading the spell, it confused his mind terribly, but that should not happen this time.  Even so, he starts slowly, reading the title and description again, which have always been easy to read for both William and Charles.

He whispers because he does not want to disrupt the chant of his companions. "So far, so good."

Then he moves to the spell itself, again going slowly at first.  The words have definitely unjumbled and now make sense as actual Latin rather than just bits and pieces of words.  He has to be careful to try to read without subvocalizing because they don't know exactly what will trigger the spell to execute.  After he's made it through the first paragraph, he stops and whispers, "I can read it now."

Instead of continuing to read the book, Charles starts chanting in time with the others and does this for a full minute.  When he's done that, he whispers, "I'm feeling a strong urge to turn the page to another section.  Just as it happened before with this book.  The chant only helped a little, so I can't keep reading now."  Then he returns to the chant.

What do they do?  Breaking the chant most likely reduces its effectiveness, but they know from experience that if they take turns speaking, it does not reduce it as much.
William Dornford
 player, 536 posts
Fri 27 May 2016
at 03:00
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
William is just about awake enough to keep chanting along with the others in a rather faint voice. He does not attempt to contribute to the discussion.
Tyler Gregory
 player, 515 posts
Sat 28 May 2016
at 15:39
Re: The Haunted House -- thread 2
Tyler does not joint the discussion; he will chant.