Jump Space Date: 298-1107 11:00.   Posted by Traveller Referee.Group: 0
Shui Tiesi
 player, 1613 posts
 Quiet doctor,
 helpful steward.
Wed 16 Mar 2016
at 16:54
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:30
"Ah," Shui quietly states.  She sits for a long time, her mind whirling.  "Is it because of your family?" the doctor finally inquires, her voice quiet amidst the medbay area's gentle sounds.  "Or this?  This particular episode?"

She won't argue, of course.  That's not her place, as the doctor.  If he asks her opinion, that's a different matter...but experience tells her he won't.  A heaviness settles into her chest, lodging like a fist-sized stone and sealing up her throat.  Shui sighs once to open her illusory-closed airway, and closes her eyes.
Ash Tescali
 player, 553 posts
 Traveling through J-space
 isn't like dusting crops
Fri 18 Mar 2016
at 07:28
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:30
Ash shrugs rather noncommittally.  "Well," the thin ex-Scout ventured, tacking onto his fellow scout's assessment, "he must have hit his head hard enough to scramble stuff up if he was having trouble vocalizing.  I've heard that brain trauma like concussions can be dangerous..."

He frowns slightly, then adds quickly, "Not that this was a concussion or anything.  I mean, how would I know?"  Ash isn't a doctor or anything remotely like that, "I'm sure that Ms. Tiesi has things well in hand..."  His voice trails off, he'd trust Shui with his life; in some ways, all of them already have.  She is the ship's doctor after all.
Traveller Referee
 GM, 1113 posts
 In space nobody can hear
 you swearing at me.
Sun 20 Mar 2016
at 08:19
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:30
Corlan shakes his head.  When he speaks, it is slowly and with deliberation, as if he is weighing each word carefully, ensuring it is the correct one, "All episodes.  Time to tell family."  A pause as he collects his thoughts, and then, "I might... come back.  I might not." 

Yas' voice comes through the open door, "That?"  She chuckles.  "If I tell you, I'll have to kill everybody on the ship.  Most likely the next ship we meet too."  The door slides shut and mutes the rest of the conversation.

Jago nods and waves his cigar in the direction of the monitor, "Shui mentioned the trouble with his speech."  The cigar goes back in his mouth, and is removed almost immediately.  "I just hope it's not something infectious that he picked up somewhere."

"Could be a problem if crew can't communicate."

Shui Tiesi
 player, 1614 posts
 Quiet doctor,
 helpful steward.
Mon 21 Mar 2016
at 14:59
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:30
"We can hope," Shui quietly replies.  Reaching out, she takes one of his hands, should he allow it.  "But being with family, if you are close or wish to become more close, that would be a fine thing.  I know it has been a long time since you have seen them."

She glances at her dataglove.  "Your illness has not advanced into the final stages, by no means.  You have years before you, Corlan - how many, I cannot say.  But time remains."

Her smile is true, if sorrowful.  "I wish we could have more time together."
Saskia Blake
 player, 586 posts
 I'm going to need a
 much bigger hammer.
Sat 26 Mar 2016
at 00:48
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:30
"Jago." Saskia speaks quietly into the intercom, "If the medical emergency permits, I need to talk to you.  In Engineering.  It's fairly important."

Then she gets up, picks up a hydrospanner, and makes her way across to the energy rectification stack, where she unfastens one of the panels and looks inside.  Safely sealed within a magnetic bottle, streams of sub-atomic particles dance and swirl between the nodes of the grid stabiliser, casting an eerie blue-green light across Saskia's face.

"Hello Beautiful.  How are you feeling?"
Ash Tescali
 player, 554 posts
 Traveling through J-space
 isn't like dusting crops
Sat 26 Mar 2016
at 05:28
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:30
Ash looks confused at Jago's assertion for a moment, "Never heard of anything like that being communicable..."  His voice trails off for a moment as he collects his thoughts.

Though his tone is far from certain, he still reiterates, "I am sure that Ms. Tiesi would let us know if there was any imminent danger."  He can't conceive of the Margin's medical doctor willfully withholding such information.  And the lanky navigator doesn't appear to believe that their medical doctor would have missed anything either.

Still, he shrugs, allowing his opinion an air of dismissablity.

"Why don't you just call down to the medical bay and ask for a clarification, Boss?" he prompts the Captain.
Tylen Orgesh
 player, 1125 posts
 Gunner and former scout
 Who the hell is Will?
Sat 26 Mar 2016
at 08:32
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:30
With little else to do, Tylen gets himself a coffee and kicks back in his chair.
Traveller Referee
 GM, 1114 posts
 In space nobody can hear
 you swearing at me.
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 16:01
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:35
"All right Saskia, I'll be there as soon as I can." Jago assures his Engineer.

Leaning back in his chair, the Captain sighs.  "I suppose you're right Ash.  If this thing presents any danger to the other people aboard, Shui would let me know.  So I'll leave her to do... whatever it is that she's doing in the way of tests, or examinations, or whatever.  No need for me to go in there disturbing her, and risking catching this thing if it is some strange disease.  I'm sure she'll call me anyway, when she knows what it is."

"In the mean time, I'll go over and see what Saskia wants."


He pushes himself to his feet, and looks at Tylen.  "Keryn's in with Yas at the moment.  So why don't you two head over to the Passenger Lounge and check that the rest of our passengers aren't panicking about this?  Give them the old 'we're professionals, and we have the situation under control' routine."

He nods to the two crewmen, and starts off down the Crew Lounge, heading towards Engineering.  As he rounds the curve of the Lounge he calls back, "Be polite and confident!"
Tylen Orgesh
 player, 1126 posts
 Gunner and former scout
 Who the hell is Will?
Sun 27 Mar 2016
at 16:56
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:35
"And no-one will think us appearing over there is at all suspicious ..." Tylen offers as a comment to Ash.  Still he levers himself out of his chair and tries to straighten his hair.  "I thought about getting a job in a burger bar once ..." he says heading towards the door "That probably qualifies me as second reserve steward third class..."
- Corlan DeSant
 NPC, 49 posts
 Such a big Universe,
 I want to see it all.
Tue 29 Mar 2016
at 17:39
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:40
Corlan's face falls, and he sits in silence for a while, before he starts to speak again, slowly and carefully.

"I would like to spend more time aboard this ship, where I have always felt welcome, but I've been hiding from this thing for too long.  I need to speak to my family... my real family, as opposed to this, my new family.  I need to spend some time with them while I can still tell them the things that they should hear, and I can't expect Captain Lanza to wait at Regina for an indefinite period while I deal with this."

Captain Lanza, meanwhile, makes his way to Engineering.  "What is it Saskia?"

Tylen and Ash enter the Passenger Lounge, where they find Eneris and Covan Draik tidying up the mess created by Corlan's collapse, and the upsetting of the table.

Eneris looks up as they come into the room, "Gentlemen?  Can we help you?  Or have you come to tell us how Corlan's doing?"
Shui Tiesi
 player, 1615 posts
 Quiet doctor,
 helpful steward.
Wed 30 Mar 2016
at 11:20
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:40
"Of course, Corlan," Shui replies after listening to his entire, carefully phrased speech.  He still must be struggling against his aphasia.  "Wishes are, after all, just that.  I want you to know how valued you are.  But I understand you must speak to your family.  It is a kindness you do them, and will no doubt prove valuable for your own spirit."  That said with another touch on his arm, so as not to be too formal.  Lord knows, Shui is aware of her tendency toward that.

But his words sink pins and needles of guilt into her own spirit.  It is likely her own family grieves her loss, rather than feeling anger.  Even her father.  For all they did, for all they do, there was still love.  And she, Shui, abandoned them.  Fled.  I was a young girl, then.  I had not the confidence that comes with age.  I ran.  I cannot blame myself now.  All true, these thoughts that sleet through her mind.

And yet the guilt persists.

Setting that aside, she continues.  "Certainly Captain Lanza will have business upon Regina, and it is possible he can arrange for further business to take us back to that planet."  Silently, she makes up her mind to suggest just that.  "Of course, I cannot say that you will wish to leave your family again, or how long this will take you.  But...should you desire to continue your voyage, I feel it will be possible."
Tylen Orgesh
 player, 1127 posts
 Gunner and former scout
 Who the hell is Will?
Wed 30 Mar 2016
at 11:43
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:40
"Just popped over to make sure everything is alright.  Shui is still in with Corlan." Tylen offers.  Time on XBoats and and scouring vessels doesn't prepare  one for the niceties of  stewarding activity.  "I can get coffee, if you want it?" the gunner offers, with a glance towards Ash to see if the navigator can come up with a better suggestion.
Saskia Blake
 player, 587 posts
 I'm going to need a
 much bigger hammer.
Fri 1 Apr 2016
at 22:50
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:40
Gesturing towards the energy rectification stack, Saskia explains, "I think we have a problem.  There's been a sudden sharp drop in grid stabiliser efficiency.  It's down almost two frelling percent over the last three jumps -- and that's about a hundred times what I'd usually expect to see.

"I suspect we have a cracked rectifier node, which would be found by a decent frelling inspection at Regina."
  The Engineer indicates the charts that she's been reviewing, and shakes her head slowly.

"But if the rate of degradation continues to increase, then we might not make it to Regina.  Don't get me wrong -- I'm not talking about a catastrophic failure, just that we might try to Jump one day, and the Jump grid will fail to initialise.

"We could do with getting this looked at when we're at Extolay or Dinomn, though it might take longer there."

Traveller Referee
 GM, 1115 posts
 In space nobody can hear
 you swearing at me.
Sun 3 Apr 2016
at 18:08
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:45
Eneris gives Tylen and Ash a nod of thanks.  "Thanks for checking up on us.  As you can see, we aren't taking the opportunity to loot Corlan's cabin or anything."  He grins and raises his hands in a gesture of placation, "I know, I know... that's not why you're here.  Thanks for telling us what you know about Corlan's condition.  I, for one, am grateful.  Coffee would be most welcome, if you'd like to join us."

Jago sighs, "Was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.  We've been pushing the old girl hard these last few years, so something was bound to give eventually."  He studies the charts for a few moments, and almost manages to look as if he understands them.  "If we get it done at Extolay, then that means delaying Draik's dash for home.  But if we wait until Dinomn, then it could take longer to fix it.  Draik's paid for his journey, so it'll have to be Dinomn, if it will wait that long.  You say we aren't in any danger?"

Corlan smiles, and relaxes, "Cat... "  A frown, and he tries again, "I appreciate your help in this matter.  But I know Captain Lanza has a long term goal that he is working towards, and I would not expect him to delay that, or cut it short by coming back for me.  But I would like to see you all again one day."
Tylen Orgesh
 player, 1128 posts
 Gunner and former scout
 Who the hell is Will?
Sun 3 Apr 2016
at 19:06
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:45
"Damn! I haven't shot a passenger for looting in ages." Tylen quips as he goes to get coffees. Without Shui's knowledge of the guests preferences he just grabs four cups of black coffee, along with the whitener and the sugar substitute.

"Help yourself, guys." He says putting the tray on the table and taking a seat.  "Just been servicing my quad ..." he says by way of making small talk.
Shui Tiesi
 player, 1616 posts
 Quiet doctor,
 helpful steward.
Tue 5 Apr 2016
at 14:58
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:45
"Well, we will see."  Shui stands, with another pat for Corlan's shoulder.  "Perhaps you are correct, and Jago will need to move on.  Or perhaps he can schedule something.  One never knows until one tries." A small inclination of the head follows.  "For you, Mr. DeSant, I have no issue making the attempt."

The doctor takes a deep breath.  "For now, I require your opinion on how much you have recovered.  Also, I would like to know if there have been secondary effects in the past - things that have affected you hours or days later."  Staring down at him, she offers a smile.  "Then we can get you reinstated in your quarters."

Traveller Referee
 GM, 1116 posts
 In space nobody can hear
 you swearing at me.
Tue 5 Apr 2016
at 18:03
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:45
The passengers help themselves to coffee.

"Quad?" says Eneris, curiously, "What's that?  Some sort of weapon?"

Corlan sighs, "These attacks don't last long, at least so far.  I should be stock... should be fully recovered within an hour at most.  The only lasting effect I have noticed previously is fatigue, which can last up to a day after the event.  Sometimes headaches, but not this time I think."
Tylen Orgesh
 player, 1129 posts
 Gunner and former scout
 Who the hell is Will?
Tue 5 Apr 2016
at 18:57
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:45
"Err no.  A sort of motorcycle with four wheels." Tylen respond, using his data glove to search trough images and put a few up on  a big screen.  Just for a moment he is about to tell them how he used the quad to in the rescue on the previous planet, although he suddenly remembers that it might not be good protocol to remind them of that incident.  "The captain lets me keep it in the hold, and it can be useful occasionally ... not to mention a lot of fun." he finishes up with a grin.
Saskia Blake
 player, 588 posts
 I'm going to need a
 much bigger hammer.
Tue 5 Apr 2016
at 22:32
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:45
"No, no danger.  The grid stabiliser is only really essential for generating a viable Jump bubble to push the ship into J-Space." Saskia explains, trying to keep it to a level that single cell lifeforms (and starship captains) might understand.

"If it fails at that stage, the bubble evaporates, and the Jump doesn't happen.  Once in J-Space the stabiliser feeds a trickle charge into the bubble, and helps to ensure that the ship drops out near its target point.  If the stabiliser fails, all that happens is the Jump continues as normal, and the ship arrives in the right system, but there's no way of guaranteeing where in the system.  Except that it'll be in clear space, but that's mostly because of J-Space geometry."
Traveller Referee
 GM, 1117 posts
 In space nobody can hear
 you swearing at me.
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 18:49
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:50
Jago nods, understanding exactly what Saskia is saying.  He is, after all, the skipper of Profit Margin, and needs to be familiar with all aspects of her operation.  Unlike his engineer, who can get away with not understanding the financial details of said operation, or the finer details of route planning.

"I still intend to push for Dinomn, and get it fixed there.  Draik is the only passenger we have who's got anything urgent pushing him... " unless Shui tells me anything different "... so I'd rather get him dropped off as quickly as possible, then we can lay over while the repair is done, without him worrying about the delay."

Eneris smiles, "Ah. I see.  I knew about Yas' motorcycle, but didn't know that you have one too.  Yes, I suppose it can be useful to have auxiliary vehicles aboard.  The ship has an air/raft too - I've travelled in that - but I suppose the cycles are handy if Jago just wants to send a single crew member somewhere, and doesn't need them to take anything bulky."

Covan Draik interrupts, "Perhaps carrying messages outside the Port, or something?"
Tylen Orgesh
 player, 1130 posts
 Gunner and former scout
 Who the hell is Will?
Sun 10 Apr 2016
at 20:44
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:50
"Something like that." Tylen half agrees with both Enneris and Covan.  "But to be honest, it is more likely to give me a chance to get away from the port area if we stop somewhere for a while.  Generally, if we need to to be away from the port area, we'll use the air-raft, it is much faster."
Shui Tiesi
 player, 1617 posts
 Quiet doctor,
 helpful steward.
Mon 11 Apr 2016
at 11:57
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:45
"Well, then," Shui replies to Corlan's explanation.  "I should be able to discharge you soon.  An hour.  It would be best if I update the captain...would you like me to schedule a meeting with him?"

Sometimes her two duties overlap.

"Regarding the fatigue, I shall leave it to you to decide how you will deal with it.  You have more experience with this situation than myself."  And he's not someone likely to push himself into a dangerous situation.  Besides, Shui reminds herself, they're in jumpspace right now.  It's fairly safe.

"Would you like some tea, Mr. DeSant?"  A wry smile touches her lips for a heartbeat. "And none of that appalling insect-tea we discovered on the derelict, either.  Something good."
Traveller Referee
 GM, 1118 posts
 In space nobody can hear
 you swearing at me.
Tue 12 Apr 2016
at 18:19
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:50
Eneris grins, "Air/rafts can get to places that a ground vehicle can't too.  I remember, back in about '87, I had a post on a destroyer that was mostly patrolling along the Spinward border - showing the flag after the last war, you know."

"Every time we arrived somewhere and got a bit of shore leave, the place turned out to be a frackin' water world, or covered with mountains and canyons.  Or had no atmosphere.  And usually it would be like that in combination with a very sparse population.  So everywhere was hundreds of kilometres apart, separated by uncooperative environment."

"So we'd have leave, and there'd be no place to go outside the Navy base... unless we could get hold of a grav vehicle, and had somebody to drive the frackin' thing.  Grav vehicle drivers soon became a black market resource.  Drivers would hire themselves out to groups, and basically had their whole leave paid for by the other members."


With a shake of his head, and a wry smile, Corlan says, "No, thank you.  I shall arrange something myself, when I know what I want to say, and feel capable of saying it."

"As for the fatigue... a few hours relaxation usually helps it, and with the ship in Jump I really have nothing to do but relax."


The question of tea brings a chuckle, "To be honest, I had just had some tea when I collapsed.  I am, as my granddaughter is fond of saying, 'fully tea'd up.'"
Shui Tiesi
 player, 1618 posts
 Quiet doctor,
 helpful steward.
Thu 14 Apr 2016
at 15:38
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:50
Laughing quietly at Corlan's granddaughter's thought, Shui moves to check the readouts one more time.  Nothing dangerous indicated at the moment...  "Jumpspace is likely the ideal time for this sort of thing to occur," she quietly notes.  "It would be a shame to lose time exploring or carousing.  I shall leave the captain to you, then, but I will need to give him a report on this situation."

A small smile comes with that, and Shui taps her lip for a moment with an index finger.  "Short report, with a notation of details to follow.  From you.  But he will need to be aware you are out of any possible danger." Moving back to the bed, she checks his head wound again.  "The synthspray is holding.  Good.  No need for a heavy bandage of any kind, then.  Fortunate that THIS was not worse."  Her dataglove rises as she again gives him room. "I shall inform the captain that all is well."

~ Captain Lanza - a follow-up report.  Mr. DeSant is almost fully recovered, and should be able to leave medical shortly.  I will offer you a full medical log of the incident...once I have it properly written. ~

And that won't be until after Corlan has spoken with Jago.
Tylen Orgesh
 player, 1131 posts
 Gunner and former scout
 Who the hell is Will?
Sun 17 Apr 2016
at 09:05
Re: Jump Space  Date: 298-1107 11:50
”That sounds about right.” Tylen grins at Eneris’s story ”I was ISS, and most of the time I was  planet side it was some desolate place with nowhere to go for a bit of the old Rest and Recuperation he says with a wink ”Mind you, there was always chances of the orbital stations.  Lots of girls there  who had been away from ‘home’ for as long as I had ..  and always someone selling a bit of hooch on the side …”