Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel.   Posted by Master Raiwaw.Group: 0
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 124 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 16 Dec 2013
at 03:19
Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Relative Time: 35 minutes before the meeting

The grand Akari City hotel rises high above the cityscape as the team approaches, tremendous in its splendour.  Speeder taxis buzz about it like bees about a hive, heading this way and that, the tall and tasteful holographic banners adorning it from top to bottom.  Other buildings nearby live in its shadow.  There are certainly taller buildings on the planet but none in the vicinity.

It isn't through the sky that the Talons approach, though.  Local traffic laws keep them out of the main automated speeder flight paths.  Instead they zoom along at street level, weaving in and out of the high-speed traffic with the agility that larger speeders simply can't match.

There's a pause and traffic slows, stopping the travelling Talons briefly.

Along the way they've witnessed a few arguments between gang-members, including one unruly fist-fight being broken up - violently - by law enforcement.  One might be forgiven for wondering if these fights are only obvious to the Talons because of the recent news about gang troubles but from the look on the faces of the Akari locals this kind of gang aggression is strange in this sector indeed.

Still, that's all local trouble... right?  The Talons have other things to worry about.

At this rate Flash and Devon will reach the hotel about half an hour before the meeting is due to start.

Doctor Dohr Veen is heading through those same streets, the press of sentient beings about him.  His limp and cane keep people at a distance - not to mention his rather... unusual appearance as a Kel Dor - but he is nonetheless jostled from time to time as he progresses onward.

He is well in the shadow of the hotel itself now.  At his current rate he'll reach the hotel in about five minutes.

Kyvarr and Fiarr, meanwhile, are already there.  They stand at the bottom of the wide steps leading up to the main doors of the hotel proper, bathed in the neon glare of the holographic banners above.  The hotel looms above like an edifice (or something equally poetic) as the Bothan and the Cathar are passed by a hurried, excited wedding party on their way up into the foyer.

At this rate they will reach the foyer in about... fifteen seconds.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 9 posts
Mon 16 Dec 2013
at 04:49
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr stared at the hotel then at Fiarr.  She was filled with unease.  "You sure this is a good idea?"
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 18 posts
Mon 16 Dec 2013
at 10:46
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Certain?  Absolutely not.  Still we should listen to these people.  If they are what they say they are, this could be an opportunity for us.  Besides, we're here now"
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 10 posts
Mon 16 Dec 2013
at 22:37
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr shrugged.  "Guess so, but keep an eye on that human woman.  She seems to be quick to anger and I doubt she likes you much, stealing her creds and all."

"We're early, let's grab a drink.  Provided we can afford one in this fancy flophouse."

Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 19 posts
Tue 17 Dec 2013
at 01:14
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Let's just head to a cafe out the front here.  It will be cheaper."

Her motive's weren't just credit-saving.  Something was going on, she could feel it.  The gangs were more active then normal and she had a sense of foreboding she couldn't shake.  Better to be somewhere she could watch the street until it was time to meet.
Devon Kismet
 player, 649 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Wed 18 Dec 2013
at 01:08
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon watched in bemusement as they passed another group of gangers getting their rights enthusiastically violated by the local police.
"The hell is going on?" he wondered vaguely - not that he really expected Heigren to know.
With the latest scuffle behind them, Devon grimaced in frustration as yet another traffic signal brings him and Flash to a halt.  Ironically, he was getting as frustrated with the journey as his passenger was... but, they'd been told how strict the law was in this part of town, and with the gangs causing the uproar they were the local law would be looking for trouble.

Heigren:
"So guys, how are we playing this?  We all meeting with them?  How much do we tell them.  Dohr has learned a lot already from Jit.  He knows we're some sort of anti-Imperial group but not much else.  I imagine the other two know a similar amount."


Devon shrugs his answer - he couldn't really think of anything to what had already been said back at the hanger:  He was a street kid who grew up stealing unattended speeders and finally graduated onto making off with starships - he'd never claimed to be good at interviewing people; back home, an interview had always gone something like "See that speeder over there?  If you can jack it without the Fuzz catching on, you're in."
Dohr Veen
 player, 88 posts
Wed 18 Dec 2013
at 11:29
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Walking on the streets of Akari was something Dohr Veen was used to. He didn't own a speeder and rarely used air-taxis either unless heading somewhere farther away than the local grocery store. Everyone had always told him it wasn't really smart to walk around in the Claws, but he had ignored the warnings every time. Sure, despite the skills and senses honed by his military training and experience, trouble had found him on a few occasions. But excluding the first two or three, the ones threatening the Kel Dor had quickly stood down and let him go. Even the most violent gangs in the area had appreciated the fact that having a doctor - a surgeon even - in the neighborhood, was a good thing. There had apparently been an unspoken rule of not touching 'The Doc' among the different parties fighting over the control of the Claws. And it had worked great apart from a couple of occasions which Dohr had been forced to… deal himself.

So now as he limped down the street dodging the oncoming pedestrian traffic (which seemed to steer away from him a bit), Dohr took in the fairly fresh air of the morning and felt good. The presence of gang members even in the more high-up district did not go unnoticed by him as he headed towards the hotel. And although he didn't witness any clashes on the way, it did make him wonder. It was quite unusual to see people wearing obvious gang "outfits" so openly outside Claws and other not so well-off areas of the city. Something was definitely in the air…

Preferring to always be in time, Dohr arrived at the hotel nearly half an hour before the agreed meeting time. As he reached the block hosting The Grand Akari City Hotel, the doctor noticed a familiar figure standing on the stairs. It was the Bothan from the party last night. She'd been helping the shocked Duros get safely back to the refuge. There' been too many coincidences during the last two days already for the doctor to accept the woman's presence as another. And the other female, the Cathar, he thought he' seen before too. During his years as a traveling doctor, he'd grown accustomed to treating members of numerous species and he'd learned to recognize distinctive features and traits in people. He couldn't pinpoint what it was that made the Cathar look familiar, but it could've been her stance or the way she walked or the color of her hair or anything really. Hell, it could've even be a totally different woman for all he knew. He'd been wrong before. But that would've been another coincidence….

The Kel Dor slowed down enough to let the women walk away without noticing him. They were headed towards the cafe, so maybe they were at the hotel for a different reason after all. However Dohr's first impression of the Bothan had told him she didn't really feel like a person who'd enjoy living at a hotel like The Grand. She'd seemed more down to earth than that. But first impressions were known to be wrong at times. As soon as they'd disappeared inside the cafeteria, Dohr limped up the stairs, nodded in greeting to the doorman and stepped inside.

He hadn't had the time last night to appreciate the lobby or entrance hall or whatever they liked to call it at the hotel. But he now saw it was true to the name of the place - grand. The doctor took his time to walk to the reception counter and had a good look around. Having grown up in the beautiful mansion of the Veen family, Dohr had seen his share of prosperity and wealth. But their home had not been luxurious or extravagant in the way the hotel was. No… Dohr didn't not feel like home in this establishment. He preferred smaller and quieter accommodation.

Since smiling to humans was useless, the doctor nodded to the girl behind the desk instead. "Good morning. I have a meeting with Mr. Vyn Teckla in twenty minutes. If you could please inform him of my arrival?"
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 126 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 03:03
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
The hotel staff member, who looks decidedly bored, glances up at Dohr and smiles in a rather fixed kind of manner.  "Hello, sir or madam.  I'll just check for you."  She taps at a datapad and waits a few moments.  Then she nods and without looking up explains, "Yes, I've got a booking here for around that time.  I'm afraid the room was recently in use and is currently being cleaned, so the doors are locked.  Sorry for the inconvenience," she adds, a little nastily.  "Perhaps if you came back at the time of the appointment we'd be able to help you further."

The staff member, perhaps unsurprisingly, is human.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 20 posts
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 03:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Vyn is a busy person it seems." comes a voice from right behind Dohr. When he turns he finds Fiarr standing right behind him.  Seems the Bothan had spotted him after all and crept up behind him without him noticing.

"Dohr wasn't it?  I couldn't help but overhear your conversation. Seems you are here for the same reason as my colleague and I. Care to join us for a drink while we wait?"
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 127 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 03:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Relative local time: About 20 minutes before the meeting

Location: Grand Hotel Lobby

Before Dohr can respond the pair feel the floor beneath them tremble.  It's only a slight tremor to begin with but it's soon followed by another, much stronger tremor, then another, and then the floor itself is wrenched violently under their feet, tilted at a surreal angle.

The sound of roaring explosions and shattering transparisteel windows continue above them, screams echo around them and from above there is a horrible groaning sound that echoes through the lobby for a few awful seconds before the roof starts caving in and debris rains down.

The woman behind the counter is crushed to death by a piece of falling building.


Location: Café Starcreds

Kyvarr is sitting patiently at the café waiting for her friend when the ground rocks.  Every one of her senses is alight as the ground rocks again, and then again, before the windows several storeys up blow out.  Those windows are transparisteel; blaster bolts bounce off them.  Further up the building more windows blow out, and up and up again, the whole edifice leaning dangerously to one side.

There is a horrible moment, a quiet pause, and then with a series of booming cracks the hotel building begins to crumble, collapsing against a nearby skyscraper and falling in massive chunks of plascrete and durasteel that rain down bloody death onto the streets below.



Location: Local Traffic

CC9 and Sheila are sitting in their taxi.  It's a modern droid-taxi - a vehicle with a custom-programmed droid brain controlling it - and with the slightest of jolts the two can tell when it disconnects from the automated speeder flight paths and starts heading toward the hotel's 128th floor.

They see the hotel out the window when the blasts rip it apart, the entire structure crumbling, and the taxi immediately swerves away.  The taxi's droid 'driver' shrieks through the speaker grille, "Evasive manoeuvres!  EVASIVE MANOEUVRES!"  In seconds the taxi is darting about the sky as best it can - but the machine is built for efficiency and economy, not agility.  A heavy impact across one side sends it spinning, the repulsorlifts firing wildly to try and stabilise the vehicle.

Even so, looking out the window the pair can see that an explosion has gone off every six floors or so, tearing the building to pieces even as it continues to fall.

Devon, Heigren and Flash are just coming up alongside the hotel when the explosions start and, from that unenviable position, are in a prime position to watch.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:00, Thu 19 Dec 2013.

Cor Lambar
 player, 499 posts
 Talon Eleven
 ID: 'Sola Numen'
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 04:11
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Over the Talon comms Cor's voice is urgent and tight.  "Talons, report!  Explosion at the hotel!"  She adds something in Umbaran.  [Language unknown:  "Atder, ounsheica nteatewhi!  Instadle thikoreve!"]
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 21 posts
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 05:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr somehow managed to keep her feet, looking around in dazed incomprehension.  Slowly her senses returned and she saw the disaster around her.

See looked to the Kel Dor beside her.  She gripped his shoulder and gave him a gentle shake.  "Doctor?  Doctor are you hurt?"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:20, Thu 19 Dec 2013.

Dohr Veen
 player, 90 posts
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 06:59
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
She was good. There was no doubt of that. He hadn't of course been really hiding or anything and his outlook did stand out just a little from the other people on the streets. But Dohr couldn't deny the fact. The Bothan was good.

He had been about to give a nasty reply to the clerk when Fiarr took him by a complete surprise by sneaking up behind him unnoticed. Or she probably hadn't even tried to catch him unawares, but due to his annoyance over the impolite behavior of the human girl, she'd managed to do so very easily.

Dohr turned around and greeted the woman with a bow when the tremours hit him. Unfortunately for the doctor, he had been leaning on the counter and not his cane while talking to the receptionist. It now cost him his footing. As the second wave hit the building right after the initial one, it sent Dohr flying on the floor. And perhaps luckily so as the desk along with the bored woman behind it were crushed by a large piece of the ceiling.

Not caring about his dignity, the Kel Dor accepted Fiarr's arm and let her help him get back up. "Thank you. I still seem to be in one piece." He cast a quick look around and could see through the dust and falling debris that the whole hall and probably all of the hotel was in total chaos. And the threatening situation was not over yet.

Dohr hastily picked up his cane and pointed towards the broken down doorway. "Perhaps we will need to carry on elsewhere? That drink sounds really good right now." Despite the graveness of the situation and the still impending danger, there was perhaps a surprising calmness to the doctor's voice. It was quite clear that he had been life threatening situations many, many times before and knew how to act in one.

Dohr cast another quick look around for anyone nearby he could help pull, carry or otherwise help outside. They couldn't stick around and check out everyone, but perhaps he could risk another couple of seconds to save someone's life.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 131 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 07:14
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
A chunk of building narrowly misses crushing Dohr, a bit of wire scoring a line of pain down one arm.  It's enough to make blood run but not enough to impair his limb's movement.  One step to his right and he'd be dead.  Around three hundred floors of hotel is now coming down - literally - on their heads.

It's now or never.  They have to run.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 23 posts
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 08:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr looked around and realised the peril.  She'd set enough explosives in her time to recognise when a build was structually ready to fall.

"We need to go.  NOW!  GET OUT!  GET OUT!"  The final words were shouted at anyone who was moving.  She really wished Kyvarr was here.  The Cathar had a voice that could boom across a square kilometre.

She dragged Dohr along with her.  "Come on, the building is coming down."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 11 posts
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 09:09
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr pulled herself off the ground, pushing the chair that had landed on her.  Her first thought was that an artillery bombardment had struck.  Looking over at the hotel she saw the truth of the matter.

Her first action was to look for anyone involved.  In a military campaign an artillery strike preceded an infantry assault.  It stood to reason that a terrorist group might do the same.

After a quick scan  Kyvarr remembers that Fiarr had entered the hotel.  Fear for her friend overcame other senses and she ran for the hotel screaming Fiarr's name.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 619 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 09:51
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash instinctively goes evasive as soon as the explosion goes off but his reactions are those of a starfighter pilot rather than a swoop jockey.  Jamming the throttles to the stops and jamming the swoop into a hard swerve.  He struggled to keep control of the bike while dodging debris.
Devon Kismet
 player, 652 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 10:03
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon let out a wordless yell as his bike is suddenly slammed sideways and nearly overturned completely.  Fighting to regain control, he looks round wildly for the source of the danger.

"OH FRAK ME!" he yells.

Seeing Flash still on his bike and headed for somewhere-thats-not-here Devon decides that the Duros is onto a good thing.  Risking a glance over his shoulder to make sure Heigrens still on the back, Devon sets out in hot pursuit of Flash, glancing up frequently to check for falling debris.

"Hold on!" he shouts to Heigren. Gritting his teeth, Devon focussed himself on the goal of getting himself and his passenger out alive.

Unnoticed by Devon, his Talon commlink chirped with Corr's incoming message and continued to send out a live account of his and Heigrens struggle to survive...

OOC: So, assuming Heigren is still on his bike, Devon is going to get the hell out of there.  If Heigren ISNT still on the bike... well, lets hope he's still on the bike.  Cos if he isnt, Devon probably isnt either!

This message was last edited by the player at 10:23, Thu 19 Dec 2013.

B2-CC9
 Follower, 224 posts
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 10:59
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Craft has sustained heavy damage," CC9 intones, "companion has been knocked unconscious.  Droid taxi is attempting -"

There is a heavy crash over the Talon comms.  "Vehicle damage at critical levels, crash tragectory -"

CC9's comm cuts out.
Heigren
 PC, 189 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Thu 19 Dec 2013
at 20:09
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren gasped in shock and excitement.  He shouted, forgetting his comm was still on.  "Now this is more like it!"  If he knew Devon was fighting to keep them from being killed, he didn't show it.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 132 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 00:54
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
There is an echoing crash high above as the body of the hotel collapses sideways, smashing into nearby buildings and raining even more ruin down.  This isn't the controlled, skilled drop of a civil engineer's deconstruction work.  Whoever did it used plenty of explosives but set them off irregularly, causing as much destruction as possible with no thought as to the peripheral damage it might cause...

...Unless they intended it to be so.

Kyvarr manages to roll backward, avoiding becoming Cathar paste, and gets under the cover of the café.  The staff and patrons there are screaming in terror or holding their hands over their heads - many are doing both.  Kyvarr just gets in the doorway when a heavy chunk of hotel crushes part of the entranceway, bringing rubble down.  A heavy beam pins her leg down. 

Devon and Heigren have a near-death experience as a smallish chunk of plascrete glances off the exhaust manifold of the bike, spinning it dangerously close to a wall.  Devon manages to bring the bike back under control but it no longer flies as straight as it should and while he manages to limp the swoop to what he guesses is a safe distance, he's going to need to repair the vehicle if he doesn't want to have to struggle to make it fly straight ahead.    His own injuries are far less significant; both he and his passenger have scratches from shards of transparisteel but nothing more than superficial damage.

Flash doesn't get out flawlessly either, his swoop suffering damage to the steering vanes.  By rights he should have spun off and crashed in a miniature fireball against a pet grooming shop but the Duros's sheer skill has him hanging off the side of his swoop as far as it'll go.  Sparks fly up as the side of his bike scrapes against the building and then he pulls it clear, coming to a stop not too far from Devon.

Fiarr and Dohr barely manage to get themselves out, much less anyone else.  A couple of others get out the doors at the same time but even outside it's only marginally less deadly as debris continues to fall.  Fragments of rick-like building bounce around them, one of them nearly knocking Dohr off his feet, but the more nimble Fiarr seems to dodge the chunks easily, guiding the Doctor in the safest random direction she can think of - straight across the street.  They get themselves through the entrance of the café to find Kyvarr with her leg trapped beneath a metal beam.

Wherever CC9 and Sheila went down, neither of them are responding.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 24 posts
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 02:13
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr saw her friend's predicament.  "Doctor help me." she cried as she ran over to Kyvarr.  She then began trying to move the beam.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 12 posts
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 03:26
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr roared in frustration as much as pain.  The leg was broken, she'd heard and felt it.  But the frustration came out of being immobile and helpless when others neeeded help.

Using the pain to fuel her anger, Kyvarr gripped the beam and used her considerable strength to try and push the beam off.

When she saw Fiarr rushing over she grunted.  "'bout time you showed up."  To anyone who didn't know her the comment may sound rude, but the Bothan knew her well enough to know she was very glad to see her.  She kept pushing.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:05, Fri 20 Dec 2013.

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 620 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 06:08
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash jumped off his swoop and examined it briefly.  A quick glance told him he was going nowhere fast and Devon wasn't likely either.  Leaving his bike, Flash ran over to Devon and Heigren.  "You guys okay?  Seven do whatever you can for our bikes quickly.  If nothing is possible, we leave them and secure other transport.  We need to check out the hotel then regroup at the ship."

He clicked on his comm.  "Five, Two.  We have minimal injuries but our swoops are damaged.  We'll check out at the hotel, but you need to locate Three and CC9.  Eleven, is there any way to track their comms?  Everyone report in at five minutely intervals."
Heigren
 PC, 190 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 06:10
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren looked up at the hotel.  "And I thought my party went off with a bang."  He smiled weekly at his own poor joke.

"We should check it out.  There will be injured who will need our help."
Cor Lambar
 player, 503 posts
 Talon Eleven
 ID: 'Sola Numen'
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 09:36
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"CC9's system tracker is offline," Cor says shortly, "which means he is destroyed, deactivated or the signal is being blocked.  Considering the interference in the area I suspect the last.  I will advise if the situation changes."
Dohr Veen
 player, 91 posts
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 10:59
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
It was like being in a war zone again. The tremors and the deadly flying pieces of the building along with the dust, the screams, the smells… They brought back memories Dohr Veen had no time to relive. The doctor let Fiarr help him outside, but it was quite obvious to the Bothan that the Kel Dor's limp was a lot less of a hindrance to him than one might initially assume. It was not a performance he put on to fool others however. For even when he was running for his life, the limping was undeniably present in his gait. And yet, the doctor was moving faster than many with two fully operational legs could.

Once outside, Dohr let the woman lead him again. She headed straight towards the cafe even though the whole hotel was doubtlessly going to come down and crush everything around it very, very soon. Dohr made a quick mental note: Fiarr apparently cared for her companion enough to risk her life. It was a very good sign. He rushed in after her  without giving it another thought. It was what he had been trained for. It was what he did. It was what he was deep inside.

The Cathar was in deep trouble with her leg pinned under the heavy beam. There would be substantial damage to the bone structure of her lower leg and there might be bleeding too. She would need medical treatment as soon as it was possible and even relatively safe. Dohr knelt down beside the two women and grabbed the beam. He was not a strong man and could only wish the three of them managed to lighten the beam enough to allow Kyvarr to pull her leg from underneath it. The second option was not something he would like to resort to…
Devon Kismet
 player, 654 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 11:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"This exciting enough?" Devon called to Heigren.
Like Heigren and Flash, Devon was having to almost yell to be heard over the mounting chaos outside.  Clouds of dust from shattered rockcrete were starting to settle everywhere
"Help me move this thing." he told Heigren - Flashs bike was in better cover than his own and having the two together would make repairing - and defending - them significantly easier.

With the two bikes alongside each other, Devon hauled open the dented lid on his bikes cargo compartment and pulled out a backpack which he thrust into Heigrens arms.
"Camping gear" he explained.  "Should be a couple of dust masks in there.  Glowrods too.  You guys are gonna need them."

Pulling a toolkit out of the compartment, and coughing on the dust that was drifting everywhere,  Devon clipped his Talon comlink into place and started talking whilst he set to work.

"Seven here - minimal injuries.  I've got the swoops and am sheltering in what I think used to be a clothes store just north of the hotel.  Look for the mannequins in the window - I'm behind them.  If you're incoming, come to me.  The others are using my location as a fallback point."

First things first, Devon told himself, check both machines and see which of them is easier to get moving.  Wiping his eyes clear of dust and blood from a gash on his forehead, Devon crouched to peer under Flashs bike.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:09, Fri 20 Dec 2013.

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 622 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 19:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Forget about helping us for now Five.  You can only transport one passenger on those swoops of yours.  Three and CC9 should be your priority.  We'll either get these bikes working or find alternate transport.  For now we're safe enough."

Flash looked around at their hiding spot and began making it as defensible as possible.  For now his main goal was to keep them hidden so Devon could work.
Heigren
 PC, 191 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 19:23
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren watched queitly from a corner.  This whole situation was reminiscent of numerous Imperial raids he'd witnessed in his life, though on a larger scale.  His mind fell into the usual plan.  'Get your people, get what stuff you can and get the frak outta there!

He didn't have 'stuff' this time.  But he felt he had people.  He stepped off into a corner and activated his comm.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 623 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 21:29
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin Branden:
"Two, that was my plan. Just asking, so I know, what to do after we've gotten CC and Three. Try to get back to the ship in one piece."


"No idea.  I guess we fly under that bridge when we reach it."

Flash sighed and wished Mark was here.  This problem was too big, to massive in scope for him.  He hoped someone would take charge of the situation.  For now he tried to focus on his small area.  Devon had the bikes in hand, Heigren was calling someone.  He continued working on making them as unnoticeable as possible.  Then he pulled out his datapad and began mapping various routes back to the spaceport.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 25 posts
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 22:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr leaned in beside Dohr and grabbed the beam and pulled on his count.  The strain evident, she still spoke in a quiet but determined tone.

"Come on Kyvarr, you're supposed to be strong.  I've seen you bench press more than this beam."
Dohr Veen
 player, 92 posts
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 23:30
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
The comms unit could not have rung at a worse time. Dohr had both of his hands and arms around the steel beam, when he heard the familiar ring in his ear. A female voice of the device then pronounced the caller as it matched the code with the name he'd saved into the unit's memory yesterday. It was the Zeltron party master, Heigren.

The doctor didn't have a habit of swearing and he didn't do so now either, but Dohr wasn't happy about the call. It had been a surprise enough to almost make him release his grip on the beam. He decided to answer nevertheless. "Hello again, Mr. Teckla. I am afraid I am a bit busy right now trying to help an injured person. I would suggest you did not come to the Grand as there has been a series of explosions and the whole building might be coming down on us."
Heigren
 PC, 192 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Fri 20 Dec 2013
at 23:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren swore.  "Damn it.  I'd hoped to warn you before you got there.  We were just coming back when the explosion occurred.  Our bikes were damaged but we're okay.  Did you say you have injured?  There's three of us about a block away.  We're hidden away in a shop front trying to get our bikes fixed.  Do you need assistance or can you get to us?  Strength in numbers at the moment."

"If you see a pair of females, a Bothan and a Cathar together let me know.  You met the Bothan the other night.  There were supposed to be meeting us too.  I hope they're running late"

This message was last edited by the player at 00:27, Sat 21 Dec 2013.

Dohr Veen
 player, 93 posts
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 07:26
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
There was a pause in Dohr's reply as he strained his muscles to lift the beam. Or at least gave it all he had to give, which wasn't very much to be honest. The Kel Dor doctor's strength wasn't really one of his strengths. "Well… *pffhh* actually… *hmmph* the latter one of the two is the injured one. And her friend is right next to me trying to… *hnng* lift this… beam. Kyvarr probably cannot walk, so some help would be appreciated."

Dohr risked a look around and up. "Although I am not sure it would be wise for you to come any closer. We are practically in the middle of a kill zone in here. But if you do, please be on the lookout for more falling debris and proceed with extreme caution." He took another scan at the surroundings. Dohr wasn't really expecting to see anyone suspicious in the vicinity, but one thing he was sure of: The people responsible of the bomb attack were not members of the gangs. This was something else...
Heigren
 PC, 193 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 08:10
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Hold tight, help is on the way.  What is your exact location?"

He looks at the others.  "I've got Dohr on the comm.  Somehow he and the other two we were going to meet with are together.  One of them is injured and needs help.  I'm going to help them."
Dohr Veen
 player, 94 posts
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 08:47
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr wasn't one show emotions easily, but Vyn's reply made him sigh out of relief. They weren't out of it yet, but knowing help was coming felt good. "We are right outside the cafe in front of the hotel." He then nodded to the women and smiled (behind the mask). "Help is on the way"
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 624 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 10:13
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash nodded.  He looked to Devon.  "Stay out of sight and comm when the bikes are ready."

He then turned to the Zeltron.  "Let's go."

Following Heigren's directions, he carefully made his way towards the hotel.
Devon Kismet
 player, 655 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 11:49
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
By this time Devon is flat on his back underneath Flashs bike, working with swift confident motions.
"Get moving, I've got this." he says.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 135 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 19:48
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon works swiftly and competently, out of range of the debris of the hotel and in a clear enough space that he can make good on his repairs. 

Together those huddled in the café, joined by a couple of the civilians who were, until recently, cowering under tables, manage to clear some of the rubble trapping the beam on Kyvarr's leg.  Far from just the weight of the beam itself there were chunks of plascrete weighing the lot down.  The Cathar is painfully aware that if she'd been a little to the left she would currently be very, very dead.

Sirens can be heard all over the city, law enforcement trying to stem the tide of chaos.  Parts of t surface of the street have caved in, creating sinkholes that go down anywhere between metres and kilometres, and in the distance there can be heard heavy blaster-fire and more explosions.  Whatever is happening it's wide-spread.  The whole district sounds as if it's gone from moderately peaceful city to outright warzone in the blink of an eye.

A burst of static can be heard over the Talon comms.
Sheila Masters
 player, 848 posts
 Janine Carstairs.
 Talon 3
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 19:51
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"....in?  Is any...
...can't see.  Droid's down.  Major...
...taxi's completely ruined.  I think w-..."


More static and then the comms go dead.

<NPC'd>

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:35, Sat 21 Dec 2013.

Master Raiwaw
 GM, 136 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 20:52
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Rubble is still falling, and may do so on and off for some time.  While most of the hotel has come down already there are sections of the surrounding buildings that have been severely damaged and are hanging off their frameworks.  Thankfully repulsorlift vehicles like swoops can usually go a fair way off the ground, so even the chunks of building littering the streets don't pose too much trouble for Flash and Heigren.

More troubling is the sound of blaster fire getting closer.

A vividly-coloured emergency services speeder soars overhead and slows, perhaps to survey the area, but it doesn't stop.  There's no telling how many areas are ruined like this one, nor how many lives have been lost.

Heigren and Flash reach the cafe in short order.  They notice many dead bodies under the rubble on the way.  The whole area has a background of moaning, screaming and crying as civilians move amongst the wreckage where they can, looking for survivors or for help.
Heigren
 PC, 194 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 22:11
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"WHAT A RUSH!"  Heigren cried as he rushed up to Dohr.  Indeed, it had been quite the obstacle course traversing the short distance between where the bikes were to the cafe.  Between dodging falling debris, fighting through streams of panicked people heading the other way and having to be pulled out of a sink hole by Flash moments before his handhold gave, the Zeltron's heart was pumping in overdrive.

"Guess this will teach you all for being early to an appointment."

Heigren joined the others in trying to lift the beam.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 625 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 22:28
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash arrived, far less enthusastically then his counterpart.  He didn't think the pandemonium outside was funny.  It was chaotic and loud, so loud he'd missed Sheila's transmission altogether.

Rather than rush in and pull at the beam like the others he surveyed the situation.  "STOP!" he roared in his best parade ground voice, not that he'd even been on a parade ground.

"You'll never move it that way." He explained.  He pointed to a couple of people, including Fiarr.  "You four, help me move that plasticrete first.  Vyn, see if you can find something to use as a lever."

When they'd moved what plasticrete they could and Vyn had hopefully found a lever he arranged the group into two teams, one to work the lever, the others to help with the lift.  Dohr he left to do whatever a doctor needed to do and Fiarr to help pull the Cathar out.

"We lift together.  On my mark.  One. . .two. . .heaaaaaaave!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:35, Sat 21 Dec 2013.

Devon Kismet
 player, 656 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 23:47
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Grunting in satisfaction, Devon finished reconnecting a power feed that had popped loose in Flashs brush with death.  It was no wonder the bike had lost power - when Flash and scraped along that wall it had ripped several power lines loose... but the bikes designers had planned for this sort of thing, the lines had all popped along their designed-in stress points and been easy to reattach.  Aside from that all that was wrong with the bike was dented bodywork - not relevant right now, he decided; the bike was working again - they could worry about hammering the cowling back into shape later.

Pulling himself out from under Flahs ride he crossed over to his own and set to work.  Again, the damage looked like shouldnt take too long to fix - neither bike would be pretty, but they would work.

quote:
"....in?  Is any...
...can't see.  Droid's down.  Major...
...taxi's completely ruined.  I think w-..."

Devon twitched in surprise and banged his head on the underside of the bikes air-scoop.  Cursing and rubbing at the new sore spot he hurridly activated his own commlink.

"Three?  Three?  It's Seven.  Can you hear me? Three?"  Devon paused for a moment, listening hopefully.  "Nuts.  Anyone else hear that?  I just got a partial transmission from Three.  Garbled and cut off part way through.  Anyone get a fix on it?"
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 626 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sat 21 Dec 2013
at 23:53
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash grunted as he struggled to lift the beam.  "Bit. . .busy. . .here.  Five is. . .on it.  Ugggggggh"
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 13 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 02:25
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr pushed with the rest of them the best she could.  The pain was excruciating but she pushed it aside as best she can.  She channeled the pain, along with her anger into the beam.  The beam was the enemy and she'd be damned if she let it defeat her.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 26 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 03:09
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr continued to help to free her trapped friend.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 139 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 05:37
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Together the might of the collected people is enough to move the beam.  When it moves Kyvarr's leg comes into view.  There's no blood.  The beam won't move laterally due to rubble so Kyvarr is physically dragged backward away from the beam, which is then lowered again.  It's obvious to everyone present that it's not a painless procedure - but nobody is more aware of it than Kyvarr.
Heigren
 PC, 195 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 09:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Can you help her walk?" Heigren says to Dohr, gesturing at Kyvarr.  "Two of our colleagues have crashed near here and we have to look for them.  We could certainly use your help and we'd all be safer in a group.  Besides, can you think of a better way to interview each other then with a little action?"

This message was last edited by the player at 09:49, Sun 22 Dec 2013.

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 627 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 09:51
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Once the Cathar was free, Flash moved away and spoke into his comm.  Then he came back.  "We have to go."  he said simply.

He looked to Dohr.  "We may have injured and could use your help.  All of your help."  He nodded to Fiarr and Kyvarr.
Dohr Veen
 player, 95 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 21:12
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
In reply to Allen 'Flash' (msg # 51):

A couple of good-hearted strangers appeared from nowhere to help Kyvarr, Fiarr and Dohr in clearing out the beam, but even with their help, lifting the damn thing proved to be too tough a task to complete. Fortunately four more helping hands were suddenly there as Vyn Teckla and his Duros associate, whose name the doctor had somehow missed if it had been offered in the first place, arrived to the scene. There was not time or need for that matter for greetings or explanations, other than the Zeltron's attempt for humor. The two mercenaries wasted no time in getting their hands dirty and finally a few agonizing minutes later, the seven of them managed to lift the beam enough for Fiarr to drag her friend from underneath it.

Dohr let go of the steel the second he was able to do so without endangering anyone else and knelt beside the Cathar. He was very well aware of the species' quick temper and incredible strength, especially when wounded. Yet he wasted no time in asking her permission to check the leg. They were all still very much in danger and had to get out right away. But the doctor needed to make a quick assessment two know if she could be moved or whether there was a need for first aid.

The med scanner was in his hand by the moment the knee of his good leg touched the ground beside Kyvarr. He concentrated on the readings and merely nodded in acknowledgement to Heigren. "Yes, Fiarr and I will take care of her now. Thank you very much for your help." Dohr almost missed the Duros' question as he examined Kyvarr's leg… "Hmm? Yes. Of course. I will gladly do everything I can to assist. Do you have an OP set up nearby?"
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 27 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 22:26
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr nodded her thanks to the newcomers and stayed close to the Cathar.

"Your assistance is most timely Vyn.  I will assist you as I can.  We will need to make a stretcher for Kyvarr."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 14 posts
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 23:00
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Screw that, I'm not an invalid. Doc, just set it and splint it. Someone find me something to use as a crutch."
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 630 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sun 22 Dec 2013
at 23:24
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Not exactly Doc. We have two swoops hidden nearby and friends in the area. Patch up your patient then let's move."

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:25, Mon 23 Dec 2013.

Master Raiwaw
 GM, 142 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 23 Dec 2013
at 04:48
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
A couple of small messenger droids zoom past outside the cafe, on their way somewhere.
Heigren
 PC, 196 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Mon 23 Dec 2013
at 08:41
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren had moved off as soon as the Cathar was safe.  Soon he came back with several civilians.

"This cafe seems to have survived the worst of it.  Let's make this a meeting centre for people.  I'll direct everyone I find to come here and await emergency services."

Once he was happy the civilians had it under control he moved over to Flash and co.  "Ready to go!"
Arin Branden
 player, 361 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Mon 23 Dec 2013
at 15:36
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin observed the scene. It was somewhat a warzone, if he knew one, and it arose suspicions on who was behind it all. The ruins looked like someone would have really wanted to do as much collateral damage as possible, and Arin deemed the mission accomplished. He wondered how many humans and aliens had lost their lives in the mess.

The ex-Imperial swooped down, closer to the street level and slowed down at a reasonably safe spot. <b>"Ten, Five. Are we close", he asked Mika.
Dohr Veen
 player, 96 posts
Mon 23 Dec 2013
at 22:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr's reaction wasn't unexpected, quite on the contrary. He'd dealt with warrior types more than a few times before and could understand their behavior. In any case, she was still under a shock caused by the trauma whether she acknowledged it or not. And nine out of ten people like the Cathar did not want to show how much they were hurting. Therefore the angry comment was nothing less of what he had been waiting for.

But it was just as well. She probably had a simple, closed fracture in her leg, not a compound one and wasn't in need of immediate surgery. Or at least Dohr didn't notive any clear signs of bleeding or protruding bones with his quick scan. With a proper splinter she could have limited, albeit painful, movement until there would be enough time and the needed equipment to set the bone. Right now, the doctor wasn't happy with his diagnosis, but it was the best he could do in such a short time and the danger they were still in. With the splinter in place, Kyvarr would in his opinion have very little chance of making the injury worse. At least she'd be able to hop or limp to the swoops or the cafe.

All he now needed was to find suitable pieces of plasteel or plastiwood or something similar to build the splinter. Dohr nodded to the Cathar and leaning on his cane, stood up and had a look around for possible items to use. If he found nothing else, the beautifully ornamented walking stick would have to suffice…
Mika Trake
 player, 500 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 01:44
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin Branden:
The ex-Imperial swooped down, closer to the street level and slowed down at a reasonably safe spot. "Ten, Five. Are we close", he asked Mika.


Mika slows down enough to be almost stopped as she looks at the data pad.  "Hard to say.  Give me a minute."
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 143 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 06:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika's datapad shows the search location to be a little east of their current location.  The rubble all about shows it as being highly difficult to walk there. Lucky they have swoops.

The remains of the hotel are easy to find, the damage devastating.  Whatever they left in their rooms, if anything, is thoroughly destroyed.  Most of the streets are empty of people (empty of living people, anyway; they can see plenty of corpses reduced to red smears under the fallen chunks of building, the whole area smelling of burning and death) but the pair spot movement coming from inside the café opposite the No-Longer-So-Grand Hotel itself.

Inside the café the civilians have started organising themselves, one of the waitresses tending to people's wounds with the medkit she snagged from behind the counter.  Tables are being cleared to make space for the injured to lie down; the folks surviving in the café largely have superficial injuries but they're expecting people to make their way here with far more grievous wounds.  Two of them volunteer to act as scouts to find survivors and guide them back.  The act of organising seems to give them comfort in this harsh time.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 631 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 09:47
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash looked at Heigren's preperations for the cafe as a refugee station and nodded.  He hadn't thought of that.  What he did see was he now had three extra passengers, one with a broken leg.

He jumped on the comms.  "Five, this is Two.  Need you to meet up with us.  We have three extra passengers and only two swoops.  Will need you and Ten to both take a passenger.  We're in the cafe directly opposite the hotel entrance, well where the entrance use to be."
Arin Branden
 player, 363 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 13:03
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin heard both transmissions. He had to make the call between those in relative shelter and those who were not and the decission was easy to make. "Negative on that, Two. I have a positive lock on our lost companions. You will have to fend for yourselves for a moment, while Ten and I secure them. After that we'll figure out a proper transportation out of here for us all." He motioned for Mika to follow. "M-four five, initiate perimeter defence with M-four ten but do not engage unless engaged. We'll be right there."

"Ten, trace my M-4's location. They found our missing friends."
Mika Trake
 player, 501 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 17:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Got it, follow me.". Having seen the location on the data pad, Mika revs the swoop a bit and heads that direction.  She holds off on recalling her droid, No reason to reel itinuntil they've confirmed the finding.  While moving, she keeps an eye out for any serviceable vehicles, preferably something with repulsorlifts, the streets weren't very friendly to ground transportation at the moment.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 21:12, Tue 24 Dec 2013.

Arin Branden
 player, 366 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 18:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin shot after Mika on his swoop. Time was of the essence here - they wanted to be out of there as soon as possible. He did not want to sound too commanding - after all, he was not officially in vharge. But this was an ample opportunity for him to show his capability in running things. However, it was all secondary to finding Sheila and CC9 as well as getting the whole team out of there and ont o the ship. Shopping for new starfighters would have to wait, too.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 633 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 22:24
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Seven, think you can find us a larger speeder?  Something that seats at least three, ideally something that lets Kyvarr keep her broken leg out straight?"
Dohr Veen
 player, 98 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 23:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
It didn't take Dohr long to find what he was looking for. Amongst the debris a few meters away were pieces of plasteel a couple of which were suitable for building a splint. They certainly weren't perfect, but would work well enough to help them all get away from the open and into some safer place like the cafe the others were talking about.

The Kel Dor limped to the pile of rubble and grabbed the plasteel pieces and quickly walked back. He wasn't moving quite as fast as he had coming out of the hotel, but still rapidly enough to get back to Kyvarr's side in no time. The doctor knelt down, dropped his bag on the ground in front of him and fished out the things he needed.

Since there wasn't any bleeding, Dohr didn't bother cutting the Cathar's pants open. He simply rolled a small towel around the broken leg for padding, put the plasteel pieces on either side,  wrapped another piece of cloth on top and turned it all into a nice packet with the help of a roll of gauze.

"Ok. Were done here. The split will help you move around, but your leg <u>needs</I> someone,  me or somebody else, to have a better look at it soon, very soon. The plasteel pieces will not offer  your leg quite the support it would need, but it is what can be done right now."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 15 posts
Wed 25 Dec 2013
at 06:36
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr looked at Dohr's handiwork.  "Thanks Doc.  It'll be fine."  She stood and took a few tentative steps.  It hurt like hell but there was nothing to be done about it.  People were hurt way worse then her.

"So where we headed?" she asked.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 28 posts
Wed 25 Dec 2013
at 11:34
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr returned with a crutch she'd lashed together from salvage she'd found within the damaged cafe.  She held it out to Kyvarr.

"Not pretty but it'll have to do."
Devon Kismet
 player, 659 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Thu 26 Dec 2013
at 22:28
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Pulling himself out from underneath his speeder, Devon regarded it with a critical eye whilst replying to various comms queries.

"Both bikes will be ready by the time Two and company get back here. As for getting a better vehicle?  Can do - I think I recall seeing something suitable about a block away.  But it might not be as easy as you think"

Devon wedged his hydrospanner in behind a twisted piece of bodywork and with a grunt of effort levered it back into something like the right shape.  It was a bodge job and the aerodynamics wouldnt be right, but the bike would at least be controllable.  Kneeling down he began rechecking the more technical work he'd already done.

"The cops are shooting at anyone they think is a trouble maker right now.  If we get caught lifting a vehicle, they ARE gonna open fire.  And that leaves us in a firefight with the local law.  Not a situation we want to be in - we need to make sure it dont happen..."
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 634 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Fri 27 Dec 2013
at 06:13
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash gathered up Heigren and their new 'friends'.  "Okay here's the plan.  We're going to head back to where our colleague is repairing our swoops.  From there we'll secure larger transport."

He switched on the comm.  "Seven, Two here.  Coming to you.  Be there in a couple of minutes."

He turned back to the others.  "Let's go."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 16 posts
Fri 27 Dec 2013
at 12:17
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr takes a few practice steps with her crutch then nods at Flash.  "Let's go."
Mika Trake
 player, 502 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Fri 27 Dec 2013
at 17:58
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika continues to where the droid indicated the downed taxi, eyes roving about for their target and anyone who might mean them harm.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:49, Mon 30 Dec 2013.

Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 29 posts
Fri 27 Dec 2013
at 19:25
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Tell me where we're heading and I'll go first as scout.  I'm good at remaining unseen."
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 635 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sat 28 Dec 2013
at 07:43
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash quickly agreed with Fiarr's plan.  There was no doubting the Bothan was sneaky.  Giving her the address of where Devon was he gave her a brief head start then led Kyvarr and the others towards the safe house.
Dohr Veen
 player, 99 posts
Sat 28 Dec 2013
at 10:26
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr listened to the plan the Duros presented and the two women quickly agreed upon. As the Bothan was ready to leave, the Kel Dor shook his head and voiced his concerns: "Your plan is sound and I would gladly agree to follow it were we in enemy territory or in the middle of a war. But unfortunately I have to disagree with you or at least my personal priorities lie elsewhere. Although I am both a soldier and a doctor by training, the latter is the one that takes over in situations like this. To me these explosions are an act of terrorism against the civilians of Det Akari, no matter what the real reason behind them might be. Therefore and especially since I do not, as of yet at least, belong to your group, I must look after the wellbeing of the innocent parties first."

The doctor's voice, even through the amplifier, was calm and soft as he continued. "I believe your friend, Mr. Teckla has already gone ahead into the cafe to start turning it into a safety zone for the injured. So unless he is ready to leave as well and everything is well with those inside, I cannot join you to your meeting point just yet. Please do not get me wrong. I am really looking forward to meeting you all and to the interview you have arranged as soon as I have done all I can to help any injured people here. I also am in no position to ask you to follow me as I know you must worry over your friends too. But should it be possible for you to linger a while longer, I would most certainly appreciate it."
Heigren
 PC, 197 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Sat 28 Dec 2013
at 22:18
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren moved over beside Dohr.  "We can't all take the swoops anyway.  I'll stay with Dohr and help out here.  Why don't Forim and Fiarr go to get the bikes and a new speeder and Kyvarr stay with Dohr and myself for protection?"
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 30 posts
Sun 29 Dec 2013
at 00:12
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr nodded.  "A wise plan."  Instead of going ahead, she waited for the Duros to be ready.  No need for a scout if it was just the two of them.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 636 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 02:41
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash shrugged then activated his comm. "Seven it's Two. I'm coming back with a Bothan. Be ready to move. Decide how best to secure more transport."
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 144 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 12:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon is about done by the time the others get to him.  The bikes will fly straight again even if they're cosmetically unappealing.  As for finding more transport, well.  Just from where they're standing its clear that finding an abandoned speeder isn't the hard part - finding an undamaged one is not only going to be tricky but, in the immediate vicinity, impossible.  Rubble litters the street for a couple of blocks.  Even now the occasional chunk of building comes loose from the surrounding skyscrapers and crashes onto the street below.

They'll need to look further afield - and travelling separately probably isn't safe any more.

The civilians huddled in the café look downright relieved when the Doctor says he's going to stay and look after them.  It's very clear none of them have medical training.  Most are barely holding it together as their world continues to crash down around their ears (almost, but not quite, literally).  Their medical supplies aren't good - one partially-used first aid medkit - so a bit of medical expertise (and, perhaps, some skilled defence) is greatly appreciated.

They're making do for now.  They'll need more space or a chance to evacuate soon.

Mika and Arin, following the hovering droids, find themselves at the lip of an enormous hole in the street.  From the look of it the hole goes down several sub-basements into the bowels of the city below, torn in the infrastructure by plummeting vehicles.  Pieces of speeder - along with the crisp, burnt limbs and guts of civilian victims - litter the entire area.  As far down as Mika and Arin can see there are crashed vehicles, some totally demolished, others almost intact.  Who can say how many people died in this area alone?  How many still survive, slowly bleeding out, perhaps unconscious, maybe awake and trapped in their speeders?

The pair can't see their team-mates but they can see the pair of M4 droids, circling now and then, letting out short beeps as they check the area.  It's hard to say what kind of information they're getting as neither Arin nor Mika know what components the droids hold.
Arin Branden
 player, 368 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 20:18
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin motioned Mika to hold position. "M4-five, can you point CC-9 and Three for me there", he asked the peppy little droid through his comlink. He tried to peer down the chasm in the ground, but also kept his eyes open for any falling debris and hostile intent directed at himself. He made a note to himself to get a detailed description of the droid's capabilities and to equip it for a number of things, just to be sure. He'd need to obtain some gear for himself as well for planetside survival and missions - he wouldn't be sitting in the cockpit all the time with the Talons.
Mika Trake
 player, 503 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 20:50
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika looks around, "We'd best move back a bit, one wrecked speeder wouldn't end up that far down without there being other damage.". Mika looks about, trying to figure out if the damage was bloated down into the sub levels or blasted out from below.

She pulls out the comlink.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 637 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Tue 31 Dec 2013
at 00:42
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash slowed his bike and rode close to Devon.  He'd let Fiarr ride with him to allow the shipjacker to focus on his work.  "You're the expert Seven.  Where do we go?  I don't like leaving Vyn and the others without transport for too long.  Plus Five may end up needing our help."
Arin Branden
 player, 369 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Tue 31 Dec 2013
at 09:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin did his best to figure out the same thing as Mika. He wasn't exactly a demolitions expert, but possessed the basic knowledge of military demolitions and it might have been just enough to figure out, which way the explosion had occurred. Luckily, they both had repulsorlift vehicles, which ensured, they would not plummet even if the ferrocrete below them would give away.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 17 posts
Tue 31 Dec 2013
at 21:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr grumbled to herself.  The Zeltron's excuse for her staying was crap and they both knew it.  However she'd only slow Fiarr and the others down.  Besides, someone really did need to see to security.

First she walked, well limped, the perimeter as best she could, determining all possible weaknesses and entry points.  If any of the civilians was familiar in construction she took them along to help her map any dangerous areas.  Else she relied on her own knowledge of demolitions.

As she walked she also kept her eye open for weapons or anything that could be fashioned into a weapon.  These she stacked in a pile near a chair so once her patrol was done she could sit and prepare their arsenal.  She left able-bodied people to watch any entry points with instructions to call out any who approached.

While it kept her busy, this whole process frustrated her.  She was aggressive by nature, she didn't like playing defence.
Heigren
 PC, 198 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Wed 1 Jan 2014
at 05:00
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren did his best to keep things running smoothly.  He knew nothing about medicine or defence but he did know how to get people to work together.  As such he did what he did best.  Finding out each person's abilities and sending useful people to help Dohr and Kyvarr while keeping the others comfortable.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 31 posts
Wed 1 Jan 2014
at 06:06
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr sat on the back of Flash's bike and said nothing.  There was nothing for her to say and she didn't relish eating a mouthful of bugs every time she opened her mouth.
Devon Kismet
 player, 662 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Wed 1 Jan 2014
at 22:54
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
In reply to Allen 'Flash' (msg # 83):

Slowing his bike, Devon looked around for something anything that would suit their needs.
"I know, I know... we're on the clock here.  I would suggest checking the hotels basement garage if I wasnt worried about the whole thing coming down on us."
He pointed down at a largish wrecked speeder.
"Public transport type would be ideal - get lots of people in.  One like that one there would be ideal, only without the rubble sunroof.  Area like this with lots of tourists, there's going to be lots of public transport stops and carparks around.  We check those first."

Speeding up a little, Devon turned a corner.  If memory served, there should be a public taxi rank up ahead.
"Once we find a good candidate, you two stand watch whilst I get to work.  Then we all fly back together."

He called across to Flash's bothan passenger, who's name he hadnt been told.
"I'm hoping you can pilot a speeder?"
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 32 posts
Wed 1 Jan 2014
at 23:44
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr nodded.  "I imagine most people can pilot a speeder Mister Seven.  They're not exactly complex."
Devon Kismet
 player, 663 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 00:38
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
'True.' responded Devon cheerily.  'but it never hurts to check.  what do I call you anyhow? '

Devon slowed his bike again, peering down.
'that one seems in good shape,  lets take a closer look...'
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 33 posts
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 05:26
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"My name is Fiarr.  She looked at Devon suspiciously.  "Weren't you getting ready to interview us?  How is it you did not know my name?"
Devon Kismet
 player, 664 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 10:43
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon jerked a thumb in Flash's direction without looking up from the possibly-worth-stealing speeder he was peering at.

"Ask him - I was out the room dealing with a delivery man for most the conversation."
If Devon had even noticed Fiarrs suspicion, he apparantly didnt care...

This message was last edited by the player at 10:48, Thu 02 Jan 2014.

Dohr Veen
 player, 100 posts
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 13:01
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Like Kyvarr and Vyn, Dohr too had a look around at the cafe or what was left of it. His priorities lied with the injured people, but as he walked around he took in the details of the place itself too. Being a soldier by training he always wanted to know where all possible exits or entrances where, what was the most defendable position and if there was furniture or equipment that could be used in fortifying the place or as improvised weapons.

Moving from person to person, the doctor made quick assessments of the seriousness of their injuries and mentally sorted the people in his head into the order in which he would a look at them. Being alone and without a nurse to assist him and with nonexistent medical supplies, Dohr would have to move back and forth from patient to patient until at least the most serious cases had been stabilized. It would not be easy, but he was used to it. Yet he couldn't help hoping that there would be no need to defend the cafeteria against anyone and that the Akarian EMS would arrive soon to take over.

As he noticed the Cathar doing what he would have done too had there not been wounded people around, Dohr stood up to catch her attention and limped a few steps to get closer. The Kel Dor reached into his robe and pulled out a Malaxan flechette pistol and then a couple of clips too. The doctor offered the weapon to Kyvarr and nodded: "Let us hope these we will not need these. But as I will be preoccupied by the injured ones, the FWG-5 will be a lot more useful in your hands." Of course Dohr was putting a lot of trust in the hands of a stranger by giving up his only weapon, but he had a good feeling about the woman and his feelings were more often right than wrong. She might be aggressive by nature, but the Kel-Dor believed she had a sense of honor to her.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 146 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Thu 2 Jan 2014
at 21:26
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
It takes Devon's team a few blocks before they get to a place more or less free of wreckage.  Finally they spot a large pile-up between six ground-level speeders.  All of them are ruined wrecks, with more than a few bodies strewn about the locale, but that isn't what catches Devon's eye.  Right up against the pile-up he has spotted a goodly-sized speeder truck, unable to reverse due to a sport speeder that's run up its backside.  The owner of the truck has, very obviously, abandoned the vehicle but it looks like the crash hasn't done more than bend its fenders.  Devon's pretty sure if they can drag the damaged remains of the sport speeder away from the truck's back end they can reverse it enough to get it around the pile-up.

Back at the café the atmosphere is one of anticipation.  Several of the civilians have tried their personal comms but none of them seem to work.

"Towers must be out," says one doubtfully, "or there's so many people trying to call each other that the system's jammed."

"Could be both," another offers.

"Why aren't emergency services here yet?  This is the biggest hotel in Akari City!"  The first civilian, a human male in a slightly torn but very expensive business suit, sounds angry and frustrated.  "Surely they've got to come here soon."

"If they can," the second adds, a female Twi'lek with yellow skin and a tiger-stripe pattern down her lekku.  Her clothing is casual street-wear, not gang gear but certainly going-out-for-lunch clothes.  "This could be going on all over the city."

Dohr assesses the civilians.  Every one of them has minor abrasions and thumping headaches but there are few major injuries.  The structure of the café seems surprisingly intact and that has cushioned much of the impact from above.  Should anyone else turn up, though, that could be a different story.

The Twi'lek straightens her shoulders.  "We need to find other survivors.  There could be people a couple of doors down and we'd never know.  I'd scout it out from the air but my speeder bike was in the hotel when it..."  She can't bring herself to finish the sentence.  The devastation and loss of life is staggering.  Hundreds of thousands of people must be dead in this city block alone.

The two droids hover around the huge hole which, Mika gets the feeling, has probably been caused by peripheral explosions from the substructure of the hotel collapsing.  It's not the only major sinkhole in the area but it is one of the biggest - and considering how big the hotel's infrastructure was it's a little surprising that there aren't more.  Still, one must count one's blessings.


A 'blip' appears on Mika's datapad.  It's located in the hole about three levels down.  One of the droids - Arin's - hovers down near the blip with its flashlight shining on something metal, smoking and twisted.
Mika Trake
 player, 505 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 01:15
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Okay, I'm going to see f I can maneuver down there."

She edges the swoop over the sinkhole and slowly circles downwards.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 148 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 04:39
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
As soon as Mika's swoop nears the point where it crosses over the edge of the hole a section of the road starts to crumble, threatening to bring down a shower of plascrete and drop the bottom out from under her vehicle.

[ Reflex save please, Mika. ]
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 34 posts
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 05:21
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr examined the truck and assumed it was Devon's target.  It was the most intact vehicle they'd seen so far.

"So how do we do this?"
Mika Trake
 player, 506 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 05:34
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Reflex roll

23:33, Today: Mika Trake rolled 11 using 1d20+6. Reflex roll
Heigren
 PC, 199 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 21:44
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren listened to Corr's dire news then called Kyvarr and Dohr to a quiet corner.

"Just got an update.  This situation is much more than a terrorist bombing.  Apparently gangs are attacking law enforcement and dismantling government infrastructure but leaving civilians alone.  Our person on communications suspects we might be in the middle of a revolution aiming to topple the government!"
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 150 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 22:14
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
With a series of echoing cracks the pavement gives way under Mika's bike.  The drop isn't even close to the swoop's maximum altitude but the repulsors, needing a few moments to power up, aren't designed for VTOL.  The woman pulls her body weight around as she tries to circle about, avoiding the worst of the drop, but her swoop's model isn't known for ease of handling; the tailgate clips a broken support pillar and the bike spins off into the level down.

The sound of screeching metal can be heard as Mika vanishes from Arin's view.

[ Mika: you're now in the Understreets thread. ]
Arin Branden
 player, 370 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 22:31
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Sithspawn", the ex-Imperial cursed as he saw his wingman crash for not the first but the second time in a few days with her swoop. "Ten, are you alright? Do you copy?" It was probably in vain to call for her - if the structures stopped the communications, she would not be able to respond.

"M4-Five, Ten just crashed somewhere down there. Get to her and see if she is okay." It was the quickest and easiest way to figure things out. "Once you find her, transmit back to me. If I do not reply, get in to your current position and re-transmit. And if you can get in touch with her, use M4-Ten as a relay station at the hole."

At the worst case, Arin had now two persons and a droid to save from the depth - at best, Mika would simply emerge with slightly scratched paintjob on her swoop and they could carry on looking for Sheila and CC9.

"Eleven, can you figure out if there is some kind of a tunnel system running below the streets near the hotel? If the M4's are equiped with some kind of a projection system, I would need a map for it. We might have found Three and CC, but Ten just went down a hole and I want to know what to expect, so I don't get myself killed or unable to help them, if I follow."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:33, Fri 03 Jan 2014.

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 640 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 22:51
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Five, if you go down there we may lose comms.  What do you want the rest of us to do in the meantime?".  Arin was clearly trying to lead and Flash was happy to let him do so.  Someone had to.  Why did Mark have to leave the same damn day.

The last thought hit him like a blaster on maximum stun.  What if it wasn't just buildings that had been hit?  What if space transports had been attacked as well?  He didn't have time to consider it right now so he didn't share his concerns with anyone.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:51, Fri 03 Jan 2014.

Heigren
 PC, 201 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 23:25
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Five, this is. . ."  It occurred to Heigren he didn't have a number!  ". . .Vyn.  We have eight civilians in our aid post and expecting more.  We have scouts out searching for survivors.  Do we bring them all with us?"
Devon Kismet
 player, 665 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 23:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon gave the other two a disbelieving look.  "We're stuck in the middle of a revolution?  Today just keeps getting better and better." he hesitated for a moment.  "Uhhh.... Ok, I'm going to take a look how easy that thing is going to be to start - Fiarr, can you stand lookout for me?"

Guiding his bike downward, Devon landed in a spot that would be well out of harms way once they started shifting wreckage and - hopefully - moving vehicles.

"Two - can you scout round?  There might still be people alive in some of these wrecks, and my conscience says I want to be able to sleep tonight, knowing that we checked."

Pulling his toolkit out of the bikes tiny cargo space, Devon jogged over to their chosen truck.  Before setting to work he spent a moment peering in through the windows - making sure there was no-one injured inside, or hiding behind a seat full of panic and with a weapon.

Satisfied that the vehicle was empty, Devon set to work.
"I know this model..." he said conversationally "Lost count of how many I've jacked before now.  Unless we hit a snag, should be easy..."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:37, Fri 03 Jan 2014.

Master Raiwaw
 GM, 152 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Fri 3 Jan 2014
at 23:37
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Without hesitation the M4 droid buzzes away from Arin and into the hole.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 35 posts
Sat 4 Jan 2014
at 00:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr nodded jumped down and took up a position where she could watch the street.  She surreptitiously checked the bulge under her arm to ensure her blaster was there if needed.

"Mister Seven, should I take your bike and watch from above?  Much easier to spot incoming threats from altitude."
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 641 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sat 4 Jan 2014
at 02:22
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash did an aerial search of the local area but didn't find much among the debris and ruined vehicles.


Search: 6
Devon Kismet
 player, 666 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sat 4 Jan 2014
at 14:33
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr Melan'nel:
Fiarr nodded jumped down and took up a position where she could watch the street.  She surreptitiously checked the bulge under her arm to ensure her blaster was there if needed.

"Mister Seven, should I take your bike and watch from above?  Much easier to spot incoming threats from altitude."


Devon had wasted no time in pulling the cover off one of the vehicles control panel and was quickly sorting through the tangle of wires connected to one of the circuit boards he'd exposed.  "Normally  I'd say - theres one. - I'd say go ahead. and the other... But I dont think this will take too long."
Producing a small wire cutter from his tool kit, Devon quickly cut both wires and stripped the insulation off the ends.  A small pair of crocodile clips were swiftly attached and the shipjacker connected the wires to new spots on the circuit board.
"And do me a favour?  Dont call me Mister Seven - that's my Dads name."

Straightening up, Devon sat back in the drivers seat and thumbed the starter button.  The speeders engine came to life instantly.  He revved the engine a few times, then shhut it down again.  He grinned at Fiarr.
"Told you it wouldn't take long.  Lets see if we can get this thing free from that wreckage thats jammed up its ass.  Maybe theres something in the back that can help us... maybe we can get the rear doors open - that'd be good."

Squeezing between the seats into the speeders and into its cargo space, Devon hunted round quickly for anything useful, then tried the rear doors.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 36 posts
Sat 4 Jan 2014
at 20:59
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr shrugged.  "As you wish Master Seven.  Or do you perhaps prefer Seven Junior?"

"Now Master Seven Junior, do you want me on lookout or helping you with the truck?  I can't do both jobs effectively."

Heigren
 PC, 204 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Sun 5 Jan 2014
at 08:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
While Kyvarr and Dohr were still nearby he updated them on the plan.  "Okay guys, just got filled in.  Plan is we're bugging out to our ship and getting out of here.  Our friends will acquire a speeder and bring it back here.  Then we load everyone up and drop them at the nearest medical centre.  Kyvarr, Dohr, I've been told to offer you an invite to join us at our ship.  You can leave with us if you want off this rock.  While we do so we can discuss if you might wish to join us."
Arin Branden
 player, 375 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Sun 5 Jan 2014
at 08:52
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin begun estimating on how he could get down the hole with his swoop in the safest manner possible. As demonstrated by Mika's plummet, the plastcrete was not exactly stable along the edges and getting a repulsorlift vehicle past them without causing yet another collapse would probably require some tricky flying.

Arin could not help thinking about the civilian situation as well. He would have liked to help the innocent locals, but it was a risk and the team had their own priorities - to get their own in to safety and out of the mess, they had no part in. If Heigren and the others could help some civilians without putting the misdion at a risk, then so be it. But with the anarchy in the streets the chances, at least to Arin's estimate that based on the facts he knew, were slim.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 18 posts
Sun 5 Jan 2014
at 21:12
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr simply nodded then limped back to her post.  She'd tensed at first when Vyn had said they were abandoning the post.  She'd been about to protest she wouldn't leave the civilians unguarded when he'd talked about a medical centre.  That made sense.
Dohr Veen
 player, 101 posts
Sun 5 Jan 2014
at 21:43
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr listened to the exchange between the human and the Twi'lek with only half an ear. He'd had a good look at everyone in the cafe and felt like sighing in relief. The injuries were mostly superficial and would be easy to take care of. But yet he felt no relief as he knew the woman with striped lekku was right. Bandaging the injured at the cafe wouldn't even be scratching the surface of the countless victims of the acts of terror that by the sound of it appeared to be taking place in a much broader area than "just" the block of the Grand.

Having cleaned it properly first, the doctor applied a bandaid and gauze on a fairly nasty-looking wound on the leg of a human waitress. At the clinic he would've sutured the wound, but he wasn't sure he had the time to do it know. He always carried the needed equipment with him of course, but since the cut would've required only a few stitches, he settled for lighter treatment for now. The girl would be fine until she would be able to visit the hospital or a private surgery. Before moving to the next patient, Dohr stood up and nodded to the Twi'lek. "I agree. We should be looking for other injured people, but I am not convinced the streets are safe enough for us to do so. We will accomplish nothing by getting ourselves, and possible others in the process, killed while looking for people in need of help. I know it does not feel good to stay in here while thousands are probably injured or even dead. It certainly eats me up inside… But I know I am of more use in here for now. Yet… should you wish to go out there, I will not stand in your way."

The Kel Dor returned to his work, but was almost immediately stopped by Vyn's words. He couldn't help turning his masked head from the Zabrak with a twisted wrist to cast a look of disbelief at the Zeltron. He felt like calling it bullshit or asking whether Mr. Teckla was sure about it. But Dohr knew it would've been stupid and useless. What Vyn had said, made sense. A targeted act of terrorism or a military strike would've been more precise. Had they wanted to take out the floor of the party for example, it would've been much simpler and "cleaner" than the mess Dohr, Fiarr and Kyvarr had nearly been buried under. Someone wanted to wreak havoc with the attacks; to sink the whole city-planet into the depths of chaos. Dohr nodded to Vyn and turned back to the Zabrak to carry on.

When the Zeltron spoke again a little later, Doctor Veen had taken care of almost all of the hurt people in the cafe. Fortunately for him and especially the wounded ones, excluding Kyvarr's leg, a broken collarbone had been the most serious of the injuries. Apparently the place of the interview had changed for quite obvious reasons, but the new one was still a surprise to Dohr. An invitation to the group's ship was a major step forward…

"Mr. Teckla… Vyn. I will gladly accept your invitation. There is only so much one doctor can do in this situation and no matter how much I would like to stay back and help the Akarian people, my efforts would not make a big difference. I am very pleased to hear you will also transport everyone else to a MedCenter. It will make leaving this place behind a lot easier." There was a short pause as the doctor thought it over: "However, I would like to make one small request, if you do not mind… I have some items of personal importance stored away in the storage locker of the Customs Office and I would very much like to recover them before we take off. I wonder if there would be time for such a thing?"
Heigren
 PC, 205 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Sun 5 Jan 2014
at 22:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren shrugged at the mention of not abandoning the wounded.  He wouldn't do that, regardless of who made the order.

"Customs office is at the spaceport and we're going to the spaceport.  I see no issue.

Now what do you need in order to get your patients ready to move?  We should be ready when the others get back."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:06, Sun 05 Jan 2014.

Dohr Veen
 player, 102 posts
Sun 5 Jan 2014
at 22:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr nodded to Vyn. "Thank you." He had a quick look at everyone at the cafe. "If we can have ten to fifteen minutes, we should be ready to go. Oh and if you could try and find me some ice. Mack here… " The doctor pointed at an older human male dressed in an office suit. "… could use some to ease the pain and swelling on his shoulder."

The Kel Dor then turned to the Cathar. "Kyvarr, could you help me out a little too? If you could grab that table cloth and help me turn it into a sling to tie Mack's arm close to his body with his hand above his elbow. Try to fold it into a triangular shape, please. Thank you."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 19 posts
Sun 5 Jan 2014
at 23:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"You've got plenty of people to act as your medic doctor, I have other duties.  And quite frankly if all that guy needs is some ice he should be helping us out.  In war if you're not dying you keep going.  The doctors at the hospital can deal with minor ailments."
Devon Kismet
 player, 667 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sun 5 Jan 2014
at 23:22
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr Melan'nel:
Fiarr shrugged.  "As you wish Master Seven.  Or do you perhaps prefer Seven Junior?"

"Now Master Seven Junior, do you want me on lookout or helping you with the truck?  I can't do both jobs effectively."



"hah!" said Devon as he scrambled back out of the truck. "look what I found."  reaching back inside he produced a couple of lengths of sturdy looking rope and a toolkit.  "Should come in useful for..." Devon tailed off and frowned, head cocked to one side as he listened to a message coming in over his commlink.  Then he turned to face Fiarr and said almost formally.

"OK.  It looks like the groups going to be pulling out as soon as we can.  We'll be using this truck to get civilians to some place safe, then heading back to our transport.  You and the others we were supposed to be meeting?  Come with us if you want - we'll do an interview or whatever sometime when half the city aint falling on us."
Dohr Veen
 player, 103 posts
Sun 5 Jan 2014
at 23:49
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Your call of course, Kyvarr. And you would certainly be absolutely right, if this was a war and if he was a soldier like you and I. But he is an elderly civilian with a broken collarbone, which can be extremely painful and will limit his capability to act as "my medic". Also, with a compound fracture like the one he's got, it is very important to reduce the swelling as soon as possible in case surgery is needed later on. And do not worry, I can get the tablecloth myself too."

It was his bad, Dohr knew. He'd forgotten the warrior mindset of the Cathar. He'd seen soldiers like her in his life before - dozens of them. Unfortunately most, if not all, of them were dead now. And he'd probably seen just as much or even more of war during his two decades as soldier as Kyvarr had. He knew the drill. Therefore, it was his bad and he would not hold it against her.

The Kel Dor stood up, limped the few steps to the table, picked up the cloth, neatly folded into a triangle and returned to Mack. "Gently pull your arm with your free hand against your chest… A little higher… That is it. Good…" A couple of minutes and more than a few grunts from the human later, the sling was ready and the arm was bound.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:50, Sun 05 Jan 2014.

Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 20 posts
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 00:02
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr was unmoved.  Broken clavicles didn't kill someone or prevent them walking.  "I'm no medic doc but I've had my share of broken bones and I know ice wont do a damn thing for a compound fracture.  Don't you have a medical bag, some opiates perhaps?  Surely this place has a first aid kit of some sort, a medpac or two.  Most places do."

Without waiting for a response, Kyvarr searched the cafe, especially the employee section for any signs of medical equipment.  She called for the Zeltron and any able civilians to do likewise.  Anything she finds she brings straight to Dohr to help him treat patients.


Search Roll - 15
Dohr Veen
 player, 104 posts
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 08:48
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr watched Kyvarr go and smiled behind his mask. He'd already said what the ice was for and wasn't about to repeat himself. It wasn't the army way. Then again he wasn't in military service right now and definitely not the Cathar's superior.

There were also psychological reasons behind his request for the ice. The doctor knew Vyn wanted to help those in need as well, but appeared to lack any medical skills to let him treat their injuries. The ice would help take away some of Mack's pain by numbing the nerves around the fractured bone, but more importantly it was a relief for the shocked mind.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 153 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 16:10
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Location: The Hole

M4-10 shows up very swiftly, bobbing up and down in front of Arin before speaking.  "Message for Talon Five from my mistress, Talon Ten.  Message follows:"  Then it plays the recording of Mika's voice.  "...tell him that I found the taxi and it looks like they got out and left, that comms are not working down here."  It switches back to its own voice immediately afterward.  "I am to await a response if you wish to provide one.  Do you have a response?"


Location: The Café

The Twi'lek seems extremely dissatisfied with Dohr's recommendation but accepts that he has a point.  She relents the matter with only a mutter of, "Okay, yeah, but I hate sitting here."  Like all of the civilians she is willing to help as best she can; tragedy brings people together for the most part, after all.

Mack is not in a good way.  The pain of his injury is sufficient to keep him in shock and the apparent callousness of the Cathar alarms him.  "I ain't a soldier," he protests weakly, "I program holo-pets for a living!"

Movement at the café entrance alarms all of the civilians but it is only a few more survivors turning up.  "Anyone alive in here - oh, thank the stars!"  It's a couple of women and a man, all of them Duros, wearing what looks to be some kind of uniform.  A bright logo on the backs of their jackets says, 'Asteroids!' and has a stylised picture of an asteroid rolling through space.

The man is fine, though a bit bruised.  One of the women looks untouched.  The other woman, however, it a mess.  She's breathing very heavily and coughing up blood, one of her legs is smashed - the knee bends all the wrong way - and it's all the other two can do to drag her along.  She looks like she's only just keeping a grip on consciousness.

"Is there a doctor here?" the Duros man asks urgently.  "Jana needs help!  I think she's dying!"


Kyvarr, meanwhile, has found the partially used medkit previously mentioned - and that's it.  It's really just a first aid kit and it's now mostly used up.

Location: The Streets

Devon is working swiftly and skilfully with the truck and speeder debacle.  Anyone who knows what they're doing would have to be impressed at the man's competence.  He thinks with just a couple of cuts and a quick tow with the swoop bikes he'd be able to pull the sport speeder free, no problem.  It'd be... maybe two standard minutes of work with the fusion cutter and another one or two with the tow ropes.
Dohr Veen
 player, 105 posts
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 20:32
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
The medkit Kyvarr found was unfortunately of no use in Mack's case and Dohr needed to dig into his own emergency kit. He pulled out a small, padded bag containing all the drugs he carried with him at all times. He'd needed the kit numerous times before on Det Akari and this was another example of the sort of situation he carried it around for. He only had six injections of Nyex left, but the elderly programmer needed one now. The doctor readied the injection pistol with quick, precise, well practiced movements and gave Mack the analgesic shot.

Dohr was about to call everything "done" to Vyn, when he noticed new people entering the cafe as three Duros wearing uniforms walked in. Or walked wasn't the word, as a woman and a man were dragging along another female in terrible state. Knowing Mr. Mack would be a lot better in a couple of minutes, Dohr nearly bounced up with surprising speed and limped to the trio. The ER surgeon in him took over immediately and he started yelling orders to his left and right. "Clear a table! Get me a clean, hot water! Find something, preferably pieces of plaststeel for a splint! I need clean linens! Try to find a movable lamp and pure alcohol, as strong as they come."

It was clear Major Dohr Veen wouldn't take "no" for an answer. He removed the used disposable gloves and put on another, unused pair and moved in to help the Duros carry their friend to the makeshift operating table. Once again, the MedScanner was already in his hand when the latest patient was gently lowered down. As he started moving the scanner over the damaged body, Dohr called out to Heigren: "Vyn, what is the time of arrival estimation of our ride? This might take a bit longer than we what have before your friends get here."
Arin Branden
 player, 377 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 21:14
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin turned at Mika's droid. "Tell your mistress to stay put and I'll join her in a sec." It was as simple as that. Hopefully Mika would comply.

"M4-Five, I need you to come up here and show me the navigational data Eleven sent to you", he said in to the comlink. He wanted to see the tunnels first and to figure out a bit more about where Sheila might have gone with CC-9. The tunnels were probably vast and there was no point in flying around them for hours. It was better to concentrate the search to the regions that would make most sense. Where would she go? And the same goes for the droid. It thinks logically and most likely tries to get the tactical advantage. He was certain, he could figure them out.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 21 posts
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 22:31
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Finishing her failed search for extra supplies she returned to Mack.  She looked him square in the face.  "You need to be strong.  I can't help your pain and I'm sorry for that.  What I can promise is that I will get you to safety or die in the attempt."

The conviction in her tone suggested she meant every word.  She couldn't save them all but she would save these few.  It was like Praxis IV all over again.

Seeing the newcomers she pointed.  "Say strong Mack.  Right now there are others who need the doctor more."

As the doctor began to roar orders like an officer, Kyvarr fell back into her old sergeant's role.  There wasn't an officer alive who could outbellow a sergeant.  Officers gave orders but it was the noncomms who got it done.

"You, bring the doc those supplies.  You two stay with the doc and do what he needs.  You, run and get what he wants.  You, stay with the other injured.  You two, get back on watch.  Next time our visitors could be the people who bombed this place.  Pay attention!"  She wasn't happy her lookouts hadn't warned her of the approaching civilians and her tone betrayed that.  She grabbed the heavy light and muscled it over to the table Dohr was using.  Then she left him to do his work.  She needed to keep her focus out, not in.

Ensuring the lookouts' focus was out not in, she turned to the uninjured Duros pair.  She grabbed them and swung them around to face her.

"Who are you?  What happened?" she growled as she quickly and not-to-gently frisked them for weapons.  She knew it was probably overkill but she was responsible for the lives of everyone in here.  She had to be sure this wasn't an elaborate trap.

If they had no weapons and seemed okay, Kyvarr allowed them to return to their friend while she went back on patrol.

She shouted at Heigren.  "Vyn, give me your comm and callsign.  I'll handle comms, you help the doc."


OOC:  Sergeant mode engaged!

This message was last edited by the player at 22:35, Mon 06 Jan 2014.

Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 37 posts
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 22:48
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr kept watch on the road.  She was impressed with what little of Devon's work she saw.  For all his boasting he seemed to make the job of starting the truck and clear the debris look easy.  If the rest of the team he belonged to were this efficient, perhaps they were a group she could work with.

She'd loved to have paid more attention but she needed to stay on watch, distraction could get them all killed.
Heigren
 PC, 206 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Mon 6 Jan 2014
at 23:18
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren was stunned rigid for a moment as Kyvarr blurted commands at him.  He handed over his commlink and muttered "Uh, no call sign, just Vyn." then turned towards Dohr.

As he walked he couldn't stop thinking about the Cathar.  She was abrupt, she was authorative, she was. . .frakking turning him on!  He couldn't deny the stirring in his groin.  The Cathar was no looker, but the way she ruthlessly gave orders and took charge had him envisioning what she could do in bed.

He shook the thought of for now, wished he had a cold shower to step in and moved to the doctor's side.  The sight of the wounded Duros's leg brought him back to reality quickly.

"What do you need me to do Doc?"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:36, Mon 06 Jan 2014.

Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 22 posts
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 00:21
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr took the commlink and inspected it for a moment.  Looked advanced, encrypted most likely.  Security grade, possibly even military grade.  Not a bad piece of tech.

She decided to use her old military nickname for now.  It was as good as anything.  "This is Hammer, taking over for Vyn.  We have injured needing urgent medical attention.  Need ETA on transport over."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:23, Tue 07 Jan 2014.

Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 25 posts
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 00:34
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr growled to herself.  She knew the request was sensible comm security but she was feeling impatient.  "Vyn is holding some Duros's shredded leg in place for the doc to try to sew back on.  Wait one."

She holds the commlink to Vyn's ear.  "Kindly tell your awfully polite friend to stop fucking around and talk to me."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:35, Tue 07 Jan 2014.

Heigren
 PC, 207 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 00:44
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
His mind was a whir.  He'd seen his share of trauma and death in his time.  It came with leaving on an Imperial world but helping Dohr as he examined the Duros's leg was testing his constitution.  There was blood and bone and things he didn't even want to know what they were strewn about.

When Kyvarr spoke and thrust the comm at his face he gasped and stammered for a sec.  Then he spoke.

"Uh. . .hello?  Seven is that you?"
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 27 posts
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 02:16
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Once Kyvarr was 'approved' she stuck the comm back in her ear and took up station near the door.

She turned on the comm.  "Hammer here.  ETA on transport over?"
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 29 posts
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 05:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Understood Five.  Out."  As an afterthought she added.  "One more thing.  We're crtitically low on medical supplies.  If you spot any, please bring them when you return with transport."

Having received 'Five's' instructions she decided to go herself.  An underground passage meant another method enemies could enter the cafe.

"Going to check the basement for an access point.  Vyn come with me if the Doc can spare you."

If Vyn didn't come she would take a civilian.  Her wounded leg was going to hamper her ability to move about.  She bit down the pain that was tearing up her leg.  She had work to do.

Once she was joined she headed into the basement to look for a tunnel.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:07, Tue 07 Jan 2014.

Devon Kismet
 player, 669 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 13:01
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon was busily working on the sport speeders bumper - quickly burning through its mountings with a fusion cutter.  The way he figured it, the bumper was too tangled up in the rear end of the truck to easily free it, so he was side stepping the whole issue by simply separating it from the rest of the speeder.

"Seven here. Hammer - we are freeing a speeder truck from a pile up and I hope we'll be mobile and on our way back in five minutes tops."  Unable to resist poking fun at Heigren, he continued:
"Oh and tell Nail - sorry, I mean Vyn - that I'm disappointed he couldn't tell me and Eleven apart."


Stepping back, Devon spent a moment looking for anything he'd missed that still needed cutting.  Then he looked up and yelled to the swoop bike that was circling over head.
"Hey Two, get down here - going to need both bikes for this."

Devon started attaching tow ropes to the wrecked sportster and once Flash had landed he explained his plan.

"We're going to use the swoops to drag this wreck out the way." he told them.  "You guys will be on the bikes, I'll handle this end of things.  Slow and careful on the bikes - we dont want anyone slamming into a wall at the speed of sound if something comes loose unexpectedly."
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 38 posts
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 21:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr nodded and stepped over to Devon's bike.  After quickly examining the controls, she waited for him to tell her when to move.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 643 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 23:36
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash snorted derisively when Devon offered to let Fiarr ride his bike.  He moved his bike into position while speaking in his native tongue.

[Language unknown:  U m est iope aisiil unno n?  Terdaywas ec it ec m adntceni.]
Devon Kismet
 player, 670 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Tue 7 Jan 2014
at 23:41
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon snorted a rolled his eyes theatrically.
"Since the brat is throwing his toys out of the pram and accusing me of favouritism... let him ride my bike, Fiarr - he's just jealous cos he knows its better than his."
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 39 posts
Wed 8 Jan 2014
at 00:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr shrugged and got on whichever bike she needed to get on.  She didn't want to waste valuable time on some male chest-beating exercise.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 30 posts
Wed 8 Jan 2014
at 00:55
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Hammer acknowledges zero five minutes on transport.  Out."  She didn't respond to 'Seven's' childish remarks.  Clearly not all this group possessed comm discipline.  If she joined this team she'd have to work on that.

She turned to her companion.  "Go tell the doctor our ride will be here in five minutes and to be ready to move then rejoin me."

She continues her subterranean search.
Heigren
 PC, 210 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Wed 8 Jan 2014
at 05:28
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren nodded off and rushed back to Dohr.

"Seven thinks he'll have transport here in five minutes."

He then rushed back to Kyvarr, eager to help with whatever she had planned.
Arin Branden
 player, 379 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Thu 9 Jan 2014
at 21:16
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin hovered near the pit waiting for his droid to get to him. He was also waiting for a word from 'Hammer', whom he did not know and had no idea on what to expect. Of course, the Zeltron seemed to trust her, so maybe the new voice would deliver.

In Arin's estimate, the situation would probably get worse over time. The gangs were apparently doing the best to take over the whole community and the fighting was most likely going to pick up. Who was to win it, it remained to be seen, but whoever it was, Arin wasn't planning on staying there with the Talons long enough to see it. They wanted to be out of there - the sooner, the better and with all members in tow.
Dohr Veen
 player, 106 posts
Sun 12 Jan 2014
at 10:15
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
It seemed he hadn't been wrong about Kyvarr. She picked up where he had left off and started giving orders of her own to the civilians in the cafe. And by the sound of it, it wasn't the first time she was doing it either. Dohr risked a second to see how it was going and couldn't help the smile behind his respirator. Being powerful-looking and ferocious by nature was not a bad thing when giving orders to people it seemed. No one dares to question an angry Cathar and the people huddling in the relative safety of the place were no exception to the rule. As an order was given, the one at the receiving end didn't even consider disobeying.

But Dohr didn't have time to admire Kyvarr's efficiency, as there were more important, dire things for him to worry about. The Duros woman was in bad shape. Her leg had suffered a terrible blow and was all but torn off. Or at least so it appeared at first glance. The first thing coming to the doctor's mind was a land mine, but there would've, in his experience, been pieces of the muscle tissue and even bone ripped off had that been the case and shrapnel buried deep into the flesh and bone. Right now it looked as if a enraged Wookie on spice had used her as a smashball. Had he considered it one bit funny, Dohr might have thought the obvious internal injuries fit the description well enough too. But he didn't. The way the woman's leg was shattered reminded him of his assistant Majara, whom he had found broken, dead and forced into the small gap under her desk less than 48 hours ago. The image wiped the smile off his face and made Dohr concentrate fully on the task at hand. He hadn't been able to save the young woman, but he he'd bend the thirteen hells to save this one!

Waiting for the scanner to give him a report, the Kel Dor turned to the other Duros. They too were probably in some kind of a shock like any normal person unaccustomed to war would be. Dohr spoke calmly and tried to articulate even more clearly than he usually did. "Please, either of you, do tell me how did this happen and where." As was his habit, and he really couldn't help it, the doctor was reading them as he spoke and listened to their response. But they weren't too easy to read. It had to be the shock and the task he was already concentrating on in his mind.

The table was cleaned nearly as fast as one would and could have expected from professionals. Kyvarr's tone hadn't left any room for hesitation. A human man had thrown everything away while a Zabrak woman had conjured a bottle of sanitizer and was spraying and wiping the table like a lunatic. Another one, whose species escaped Dohr in the bustle, had found a box of disposable gloves and he had also brought a kettle full of hot water too. He'd probably watched some reality tv-show or worked at a hospital at some point as he was pulling out a pair of gloves very carefully, trying not to touch their outsides. They were meant for cleaning and not surgery, so the gloves were not separately packed as sterile ones would've been, but right now they had to do. Stabilizing and saving the woman's life was the priority in any case even if it meant risking an infection. Dohr didn't have any antibiotics available anyway…

Operating on the Duros would be hellish. He'd worked in worse conditions before, far worse in fact. But even then at least most of the time the doctor had had the use of proper equipment. Now he and his chosen assistant (the man who had brought the water and the gloves) had nothing but kitchen utensils and cleaning equipment at hand. As he donned the gloves, Dohr gave the man, a Sullustan as he now noticed, called Nien a few more orders to bring spoons, scissors, knives and plastic utensils and to first boil and then sterilize them with alcohol as well as he could.

Before Dohr had a chance to properly begin the operation, he heard Vyn call out five minutes as the eta of their transport. That was not going to be enough, no way. He probably needed 10 or even 15 minutes to stop the bleeding, although Dohr wasn't sure the woman had that much. "Vyn, stress the need of medical equipment and I would really love to see Ms. Carstairs in here as well." There was no stress or uncertainty in the voice, only determination.



12:13, Today: Dohr Veen rolled 14 using 1d20+9. Sense Motive.
12:13, Today: Dohr Veen rolled 25 using 1d20+11. Diplomacy roll.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 644 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sun 12 Jan 2014
at 22:03
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash shrugged and stayed on his bike.  He didn't care which bike he rode right now.  Jokes aside, he wanted to regroup with the other Talons as soon as possible.

"How we doing this?" he grunted at Devon.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:15, Sun 12 Jan 2014.

Master Raiwaw
 GM, 155 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 13 Jan 2014
at 22:36
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Location: Streets

Devon and his team soon has the junked sport speeder pulled away from the back of the truck.  With it gone they can get the truck running, hovering and ready to go.  The gearhead is in and checking the systems almost before the tow ropes are disengaged.  From the instrumentation Devon can see that it has a 'Class 3 Flight Inhibitor' locked on its systems, only letting it fly in the lowest automated speeder paths or up to six metres above the ground.  That's still high enough for him to go over most of the destroyed and stalled ground vehicles, though, and he figures he can weave around the larger obstructions (like chunks of fallen building).  He could probably remove it given a bit of time but he doesn't really have that time.

The truck's shipment is a trio of crates filled with female sanitation devices.  Apparently they're 'cushioned for comfort'.

Devon's truck can't find the automated speeder flight paths - at all.  Pretty much the only reasons he can think of for that are that the truck's flight path lock-on is damaged or the flight paths simply aren't there any more - and if that's the case then the flight path computer banks and all of their redundancy systems have been hit.  The scope of planning must be breath-taking.

Looking out the window he can see vehicles flying about but not one of them is locked to a flight path.

It doesn't bode well.

But anyway, Devon's got to get that crate back to the café!

Location: Café

The male Duros stammers a bit and says, "Uh, w-we were working a club down the street and - I dunno.  The roof started falling in.  We got out a back door behind the stage but...  There woulda been hundreds who didn't make it.  There were five of us and the other two..."  He trails off.

"Can you save her, Doc?" the uninjured female asks urgently.  They both look like they're going to lose it if another of their friends dies.

Dohr is soon elbow-deep in blood as he tried desperately to stem the woman's wounds, Heigren working alongside as best he can.  She thrashes about in her livid pain, really needing a full anaesthetic and (obviously) not getting it, but her friends hold her down as best they can.  The damage she's sustained is just... horrible.  Dohr has very little to work with, too - if he had Dorank by his side and even a few half-decent materials, he knew, he'd be able to save her without a problem.  As it is the matter is enormously touch-and-go.

Twice he thinks he's lost her but the woman proves tough and Dohr's skills are up to the task.  Finally, once he's stabilised her, he turns his attention to her leg.  That's an absolute mess of blood, muscle and bone but even so, Dohr's skills with medicine are... considerable.  After a trial that takes far longer than the Kel Dor would like he is fairly sure there's only about a 20% chance the woman is going to lose the leg.

But she needs to get to a trauma unit - fast.  Fifteen minutes at the most.

Luckily, just as he's tying up the last of her wounds as best he can, Dohr hears the sound of a hover-vehicle outside.

One of the sentries yells, "A truck!  Speeder truck!  Delivery, by the look of it."  He doesn't even think to mention the vehicle doesn't have weapons.  Weapon emplacements are illegal on vehicles on Det Akari.

Kyvarr is joined by a pair of civilians - the suited human male and the impatient Twi'lek female.  They're not going to let a woman with a damaged leg go into the understreets on her own; the only reason they're not going to insist she stay is because they can see she's not likely to agree.  So all three go instead.

They find a turbolift in a storage and maintenance access room in the rear of the café.  It seems to be functioning but no way is Arin going to get a swoop bike down there in anything less than pieces.  The civilians, not really aware of the situation and what Arin or Kyvarr are looking for beyond 'a way into the understreets', make it clear they don't want Kyvarr going down there.

"Sure, you're tough, we get it," the guy says, looking earnest, "but you've got a busted leg.  Best you're going to do is hobble about, trip over something and make it worse.  We'll go down there if there's something you need.  Right?" he asks, looking over at the Twi'lek.

She nods firmly.  "Right.  What is it you're after?  Supplies?  Survivors?  Friends?"

Location: The Hole

M4-5 returns to Arin swiftly and flashes out a map on its holoprojector.  It's a 3D map, of course, showing the information Cor could get.  The area is largely maintenance space and offices below the road, but Arin can see that the 'floors' go down under the 'ground' quite some way.  There is a system of streets on each level so having space to fly his swoop won't be difficult to find; it's mostly just the way down that's of concern.

While he's checking the data he feels the ground shift under his feet.  The next thing Arin realises is that the street directly below him is cracking, about to cave in!

[Reflex save, Arin.]
Arin Branden
 player, 380 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Mon 13 Jan 2014
at 23:20
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Sithspawn, Arin thought almost out loud. He needed to get on going but locating Sheila and CC9 in the tunnels was going to be like looking for a gentleman among the Imperial officers. And even if he found them, he'd have to get them topside and back to the ship. If Sheila was still able to ride a swoop, she'd be easy to transport. However, a battledroid was far less easy as it most likely exceeded the lift-capacity of a normal swoop. I just hope the droid can walk out by itself.

The sound and the sensation of the street cracking beneath himself made Arin brace for impact while he did his best to shoot off to safety. He simply hoped Mika wasn't going to be underneath when the street collapsed further. And what was taking that 'Hammer' so long, anyway? He needed proper intel on how to reach Mika safely, but if he didn't get it soon he needed to head down through the same route Mika had entered the tunnels. And he needed the intel from Cor as well - he needed to know if there was a way to shut off the electromagnetic interference, so he could communicate with the other Talons while underground.

Then there was the matter of command. He had assumed command of the Talons planetside, when the disaster struck and so far they had followed his orders, even if a bit snarkily. However, if he was going to be out of communications, the Talons needed to fend for themselves and figure out their leadership amongst them. But not being their real commanding officer nor in any other than assumed position of command, Arin could not dictate who would be running the show when he wasn't there to do it.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 156 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 13 Jan 2014
at 23:56
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
He almost makes it but not quite.  The ground beneath Arin's feet splits apart and he tumbles into darkness, grabbing at whatever he can to arrest his fall.

[Make a second Reflex save, Arin.  I heavily suggest you use a Force Point.]
Arin Branden
 player, 382 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Tue 14 Jan 2014
at 00:16
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
SITHSPAWN, Arin exclaimed in his mind as the ground beneath his swoop caved in. And it was then, his instincts flared up, his mind racing to find a way out of the situation and out of the tailspin down he was in.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:20, Tue 14 Jan 2014.

Master Raiwaw
 GM, 157 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Tue 14 Jan 2014
at 01:11
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin plunges from view.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 645 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Tue 14 Jan 2014
at 04:26
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash jumps down from his bike, code locks it and moves over to the cafe.

"Seven, you and Fiarr clear out enough of the cargo to hold our passengers."

He rushed inside and over to Dohr and Heigren.  "Okay doc, time to go.  Who goes in first?"
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 40 posts
Tue 14 Jan 2014
at 04:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr wordlessly complied with the Duro's instructions.  She climbed in the back of the speeder and began throwing boxes out, ensuring she left a clear path to the cafe.  She didn't really care about filling the street with boxes.  Being fined for littering was the least of their trouble right now.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 32 posts
Tue 14 Jan 2014
at 10:30
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Do a quick check of the shaft and see where it leads.  Do not go out of sight of the bottom of the shaft and be no longer than two minutes.  We're getting out of here."

"Five this is Hammer.  Only lower entrance is turbolift shaft.  Performing quick recon but no way to get swoop through over."

Devon Kismet
 player, 673 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Tue 14 Jan 2014
at 23:15
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon joined Fiarr in shifting boxes the moment he'd shut the speeders engine down.
"huh" he said, peering at the side of one box just before he threw it out the back. "Apparently these things are ultra absorbent."

As soon as back of the truck was empty, Devon scrambled back over the seats into the front and started digging through exposed wiring again.
"Hey Fiarr, can you find out how long I have till we have to move out?  I wanna try and take that flight limiter offline if I have the time..."
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 42 posts
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 00:38
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr nodded though hadn't the Duros gone to do that?  As she started to walk she pointed at the cockpit.

"I doubt we have time for anything.  We need to leave this area before more buildings come down or bad people show up.  Should get Kyvarr in the driver's seat.  Nobody can't handle a land vehicle better than her and she's got one good leg for the pedals."

She moved inside.  "We need to go.  How long do you need to load?"

As she asked she began guiding people towards the truck.  She wondered where Kyvarr was.
Heigren
 PC, 212 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 02:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren had watched mesmerised as Dohr had worked his medical magic.  With all the blood and gore he was sure the Duros woman would die.  He'd never imagined she'd live, let alone look like her leg might survive.  He'd definitely be recommending this Doctor for the team.

Seeing the truck pull up and hearing Flash and Fiarr he jumped into action.  "Shouldn't take long.  Most can walk.  Careful of that one, his collarbone is broken.  Flash, find me something to use as a stretcher for this one.  A plank of wood, a long benchtop, a curtain, anything we can carry her with.  Her leg's in a bad way."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:30, Wed 15 Jan 2014.

Dohr Veen
 player, 107 posts
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 13:23
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Can you save her, Doc?"

Dohr Veen barely heard the words. He was already deep in action mode concentrating fully on the operation. During the years, decades even, he'd developed an ability to push most of what was happening around him into the background when he really needed to have full focus on the patient and the injuries needing fixing. It wasn't perfect of course. On a full fledged war zone with blasterfire and explosions the distraction could build up to be almost too much, but the doctor hadn't so far lost people due to his lack of concentration and he wasn't going to start lnow.

In the last 18 months Dohr had had the luxury of having a trained nurse as his assistant. He'd mostly worked at his own clinic in peace and calm without too many disturbing factors around. Mostly. The Claws being the Claws, the doctor had been called out to take care of emergencies all around: the Tracks, private apartments, bars, streets, even gang hangouts. And every now and then some gang members had tried to bring their quarrels into the clinic as well, especially in the first few months of his stay on Det Akari. But nothing convinced the clashing parties more of his neutrality like having Dohr fix a shot wound he'd caused himself to calm a raging ganger down.

But that was in the past and not on Dohr's mind now. Right now… right now he had more pressing concerns. The Duros lady did not look well and although he didn't doubt his own skills, Dohr was not sure if even he could save her. But if there was even a single percent's change to keep her alive, he'd make sure that one percent was enough.

The internal bleeding had the higher-priority than the leg injury as the artery on the limb seemed to be intact. Had it not been, she'd be dead already anyway. The damage to her chest and abdomen wasn't one bit less terrible than the blow to her leg and without equally strong bones to protect her organs, the injury was far more serious. There was no other way to it, Dohr was forced to open her up even more to get to the leaking blood vessels and to see with his own eyes the level of trauma caused by the pieces of building that had hit the woman.

Usually in case of damage to the organs, the cause was either penetrating or blunt trauma, but in this case it was both. The pieces of durasteel had cut into and partially even through her while crushing anything in the way. For a heartbeat the Kel Dor felt like shaking his head, but he'd made up his mind. He would save her no matter what. The next few minutes felt like hours as time seemed to slow down while Dohr operated on the Duros. His moves were precise and executed in perfect order cutting down the overall duration of the operation a lot. To an untrained eye the surgery must have seemed like a bloody mess with no hope of the woman's survival. But another professional would have seen the beauty of doctor Veen's work. It was clear he had extensive experience and skill and nothing less would have been adequate to save her.

Even to his own surprise, Dohr had located the source of the bleeding, fixed and sealed the vessels with a laser probe in a very short time. He'd also provided a temporary fix to her injured stomach and spleen. She'd live for now, but would need a new surgery very soon at a properly equipped facility. The woman had lost a great deal of blood and would require an immediate transfusion too. She'd live, but was still hanging on the edge of the void. And there was the leg operation to be done too. The chances of her not losing it were slim, but Dohr had to give it his best.

The ETA of five minutes had been way too optimistic, no doubt about that. The doctor didn't know exactly how long it had taken him to work on the Duros, but just as he finished up tying the leg with the last of his dressings and clean cotton tablecloth he heard a voice right next to him say: "Okay doc, time to go. Who goes in first?" In his concentration, Dohr had missed the sound of the repulsorlift engine as well as the call of the civilian sentry completely.

Lifting his gaze from the patient, Dohr held out his hands to Nien to remove the gloves and the bloody apron he'd been wearing in order to keep his clothes as clean as possible during the surgery. It took the doctor a second to recognize the Duros as one of Vyn's companions. He took a deep breath and nodded in greeting to Flash. "This lady requires emergency treatment at a trauma unit as soon as possible. We have done all that can be done here, but she will not live for long unless she gets into professional care right away. Oh and hopefully you have full medkit onboard as I am totally out of anesthetics, analgesics and antibiotics."

The Kel Dorian gave the Duros a weak bow as a sign of his appreciation and turned to Heigren. "Thank you for staying with us, Vyn. No matter what some of your companions might think about the party last night, you are a good man and colleague they all should be grateful for. Not everyone would stick around to help total strangers when his own safety was compromised. No matter where or how today ends, it has been an honor to make your acquaintance."

Having said his piece, Dohr gave his hands a good rub with soap and clean water, used another cloth to dry them and picked up his cane from the floor. He patted his Sullustan assistant on he shoulder, whispered a few words of assurance and thanks to his ear and moved to help Mack on his feet.

It was time to go.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:18, Wed 15 Jan 2014.

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 646 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 21:43
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash shook his head.  "Sorry doc.  Checked all the speeders I could and there wasn't so much as a cotton ball in any of 'em.  You'll have to make do until we get to the hospital."

He pointed to the blood soaked mess shaped like a Duros female.  "She looks bad.  Do we load her first?"
Devon Kismet
 player, 674 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 22:22
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr Melan'nel:
Fiarr nodded though hadn't the Duros gone to do that?  As she started to walk she pointed at the cockpit.

"I doubt we have time for anything.  We need to leave this area before more buildings come down or bad people show up.  Should get Kyvarr in the driver's seat.  Nobody can't handle a land vehicle better than her and she's got one good leg for the pedals."



"I can try, damnit!" countered Devon, the stress of events beginning to make cracks in his genial facade.
"More speed out of this wreck might save somebody's life!"

The shipjacker continued sorting feverishly through exposed wires and circuits silently for a few moment before he continued.
"Sorry." he said quietly.  "Kyvarr?  You mean Hammer, right?  Sounds good to me - today we need all the advantages we can get."

Once Fiarr had left, Devon activated his Talon commlink.
"Seven here - hey Eleven,we're going to need the location of the nearest hospital that's accepting emergency cases - from what I hear we've got at least one person critically injured."
Given how badly messed up things were, Devon wouldnt be surprised if it turned out the hospitals had been hit too.
Dohr Veen
 player, 108 posts
Wed 15 Jan 2014
at 22:44
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Nodding to Flash, Devon and Fiarr, Dohr replied: "Well that is how things usually go in situations like this. Then we will just need to manage. Thank you." The doctor didn't spend too much time wondering about the loading order of the patients. The ones needing his help the most, had to be moved in first.

"Please help me carry this lady inside first. I will stay with her while you bring in the rest. Make sure Mack, the human with a sling on his arm, comes next. The others are not in too bad a shape and will not require my help during the transportation, so they can wait until these two are in."

With the help of the others, Dohr carefully lifted (on my count...) the Duros woman on a piece of plastiwood and then carried her into the truck with them. As he next guided Mack to sit down on next to the woman with enough space for himself to fit in between them, the doctor risked a quick look around and accepted his cane from the Sullustan with another nod. "I do not see Ms. Carstairs around, but would any of you have any medical background? Even though brave Nien here did an exceptional job as my assistant, I would not mind having someone with a little more training and experience at hand should I need help. If you do, please join us in the back."

It took them just a short while to load everyone in as most of the people only had minor injuries or even just simple scratches. So nine minutes after the speeder truck had touched down, Major Dohr Veen was ready to head out with his patients and new, best friends. "Let us get going! The faster, the better!"

This message was last edited by the player at 22:45, Wed 15 Jan 2014.

Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 34 posts
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 05:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"You heard the doctor.  Move it, MOVE IT!" boomed a voice from the back of the cafe.

Having finished her reconnaissance with her two helpers, she now limped towards the truck.  She leaned heavily on her makeshift cane.  All this extra walking was pushing the pain past even her tolerances.  Her body screamed at her to sit down but stubbornness pushed her on.  She could rest, maybe get a painkiller when they got these people to a hospital.

If directed she takes the driver's seat.  Her leg bothered her less when she was sitting and being useful kept her distracted.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:06, Thu 16 Jan 2014.

Dohr Veen
 player, 109 posts
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 09:42
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Hearing Kyvarr's voice made Dohr smile. Even though the doctor was slow to warm to new friendships, he'd already taken a liking to her just like he had to Vyn Teckla. Despite their little argument earlier on, the Cathar was a soldier to the bone and being one himself, Dohr felt an immediate kinship with her. The two of them would understand each other and get together just fine should there be an opportunity to work together later on. Soldiers tended to be frank and that's the way the Kel Dor liked it. He could be smooth-talking and persuasive himself if need be, but preferred to convince people by the way of explanation and argumentation.

But hearing the woman bark the order, Dohr thought he heard a slight ripple in her voice. It wasn't quite as strong as it had been earlier. All the moving about with a broken leg was taking its toll even on someone as strong-willed and powerful as her. The doctor lowered himself on one knee between Mack and the semi-unconscious Duros woman whose name he still didn't know and pulled out his last Nyex-injector from his bag.

He then called out to Fiarr: "Fiarr, take this shot to Kyvarr and make sure she takes it. It is simple to use, simply press it against a large muscle and squeeze the trigger. It should help with the pain until we get to the MedCenter."
Devon Kismet
 player, 676 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 23:38
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr Veen:
"I do not see Ms. Carstairs around, but would any of you have any medical background? Even though brave Nien here did an exceptional job as my assistant, I would not mind having someone with a little more training and experience at hand should I need help. If you do, please join us in the back."


Muttering "waste of damn time..." disgustedly Devon disentangled himself from the wires he had been up to his elbows in and vacated the drivers seat so that Kyvarr could get in. Climbing into the back he touched Dohrs elbow to get the Kel Dors attention.

Dohr found himself looking at a blonde haired human male dressed in casual street clothes and - like everyone else - currently covered in dust and grime.  There was a gash above Devons eye that must have bled freely at some point, then been wiped to keep the blood from running into his eyes.  A matching red smear on Devons sleeve showed what he had wiped his face with.

"I think I might be the best you're gonna find right now, Doc." he said apologetically.
"Call me Rian, or Seven.  No real medical training but I've had to treat a few wounds before now."
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 43 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 01:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr accepted the injector from Dohr with a nod.  She then went and spoke to Kyvarr and handed the drug to her.

"Doc says he wants you to take this.  Then you're pilotting this speeder.  I think we're heading for a hospital but I haven't been informed."

Once Kyvarr had the injector, Fiarr went and sat on Rian's bike again.  Sounded like he'd be riding with the doctor so she'd better take the bike.  Kyvarr could normally fly it better then her but not with a broken leg.

She straddled the swoop and waited for instructions.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 36 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 04:34
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr examined the drug in her hands then limped over to the back of the speeder.  She caught Dohr's eye then tossed it to him.

"Keep it for a civilian who needs it."

Without waiting for a response she hobbled to the driver's seat, climbed in and began checking the controls while waiting for a destination.
Heigren
 PC, 214 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 04:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Having helped the others load the truck, Heigren then pulled out his datapad and looked at it as Cor downloaded it to Devon's datapad.  He looked at Dohr and Devon.

"I volunteer to ride up front with Kyvarr and navigate for her.  We just need a destination."  He looks at the hospitals on his map.  "Well this one is on our way to the spaceport but is it equipped for these types of patients?  Which one should we go to Dohr?"
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 160 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 04:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Location: the Café

The two civvies report back to Kyvarr quickly saying the turbolift leads to a lower store room but that the door from the lower store room leads out to a street on that level.  No more detail than that, unfortunately.  The place looks structurally stable but Kyvarr said no more than two minutes and, well, they're kind of scared of her.

At the call to depart the civilians do their best to help.  The Duros hang around their injured friend but it's clear neither of them have the faintest clue how to look after critically injured people.  Nonetheless they all take directions as best they can.

Outside the speeder seems ready.  Crates of feminine hygiene products are scattered on the ground behind the truck while the rest of the street seem gaunt and quiet.  Most of the dead is buried under rubble but the outline of bodies is still evident.  It's a massacre.  It might be a massacre of collateral damage but nonetheless it's still a bloody massacre.

As they're loading up a swoop bike comes tearing around the corner about twenty metres up.  It has law enforcement markings and is wobbling dangerously; it's smoking badly where several hits have damaged the thrusters and steering vanes.  Right behind it are two more swoops, firing heavy bike-mounted blasters which anyone who's been on Det Akari more than five minutes will know are highly illegal.  One of the swoops slows down to hover above the civilians and the speeder while the other continues chasing the beleaguered cop.

The civvies drop down, several of them shrieking in fear.

After a few seconds the hovering bike speeds on its way, apparently satisfied.  From up the street the sound of an explosion can be heard - a sound a lot like the one that a speeder bike might make hitting a building at high speed.
Dohr Veen
 player, 110 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 08:48
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
He wasn't Ms. Carstairs, but this one would do just fine. Dohr turned around as Devon touched his shoulder. He automatically checked the fairly fresh wound on his forehead, but dismissed it as it didn't seem to be causing any problems right now. The doctor nodded his head in greeting and shook the human's hand firmly as was their habit. "I am most pleased to meet you, Rian. Thank you. And never mind about the training, you will do great. Oh.. My name is Dohr Veen or Dohr or Doc, whatever suits you."

Dohr wasn't surprised to see Kyvarr limping to the back of the truck and tossing the injector back to him. The doctor caught it easily, but he wasn't going to let her off so easily. "Soldier! I do not care if you feel you can manage without the shot or not. I do not even care that much if you are in pain or not. But as you will be driving this vehicle with injured civilians in the back, you need to have a clear head and full concentration on the driving. So you WILL take the shot before we take off or you are not driving. I will not allow your noble gesture get us all killed." The Kel Dorian was full in Major mode again and his voice, though not cold, was saying we did not want her to question the order again.

If the Cathar stopped to listen, the doctor tossed the injector back to her. If not, he got up and limped to the front and repeated his bollocking.

Just as he finished his rant, the trio of swoops cornered the building next to them. Apparently someone had been providing the gangs with heavy machinery as the ones chasing sported weapons Dohr had not seen before during his 18 months on Det Akari. One of the bikes stopped to hover above them while the others carried on. There was nothing they could do should it decide to open fire. As far as Dohr knew, his flechette pistol was the only weapon they had and it wasn't of much use against the biker's heavy blasters. He knew he had a reputation of sorts at least amongst the gangs of the Claws. The leaders of most had given him an untouchable status due to his work to save lives on all sides. There was no telling if this one would honor that status or just obliterate him. But before Dohr had a chance to give talking to him a try, the second ganger sped off after his pal.

They were safe for now, but not for long. The next spice-head might decide to shoot them down just for fun. As far as Dohr knew, they had two options: The Cedar Beach Memorial Medical Center on one of the better areas of Det Akari was one of the best, if not the best hospital within easy reach. But even it was 15 minutes away and to the opposite direction from the spaceport. The other one, St. Denao Hospital was closer. It was far from Cedar Beach's level of quality, but they had good enough equipment and people to keep the Duros woman alive and even to save her leg. St. Denao was closer too. Dohr would've liked to provide the Duros to the best possible care, but the fact was that she probably didn't have 15 minutes even if they could get there in one piece.

Dohr pulled the maps from his dpad and selected St. Denao as the target. It was only six minutes away. He then passed the device to Nien and asked him to deliver it to Kyvarr on the front seat. The look on the Sullustan's face was worth a million creds. "Do not worry. She will not eat you whole. There is no time for that. She might take a little bite, but you will live." A joke was not quite like him as Dohr Veen was not the most humorous of men, but he had to do his best to calm Nien down in order for them to be able to move out as quickly as possible.

"Ok people, here we go. Try to hold on to anything available. The ride will probably be a little rough."


OOC: I don't think it's nice to use rolls to affect other PC's and I know that the DM's wouldn't let me anyway, so I will not be making any Diplomacy or Intimidation rolls for Dohr as he tries to convince Kyvarr to take the shot. :) I'm just saying this so that you can all get a better picture of Dohr. His scores in both skills mentioned are fairly high and he is as a former professional soldier accustomed to giving orders (as well as receiving them). But to a non-soldier the order might sound a bit harsh.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 37 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 09:59
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr growled but kept her tone civil.  "Look Doc, when we get to the hospital I'll submit myself to any treatment you want.  For now I need my wits and my reflexes.  That shot will dull them.  So the only way you'll get that shot in me is to pin me down.  Do you really want to try it?"  She bared her fangs in a predatory smile.

"If not, then get in.  We're gonna show those ambulance drivers how fast we can move patients."




OOC: Personally Dohr, I think people should make intimidate/diplomacy rolls, even for PC's.  It doesn't force the PC to do anything but it allows me to determine how convincing your intimidation/bluff/whatever was.  I mean if Dohr rolled a 30 on his intimidate, I'd post very differently to if he rolled a 10!  So please in the future I'd welcome any such rolls to aid my roleplaying.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 10:02, Fri 17 Jan 2014.

Dohr Veen
 player, 111 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 10:22
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Shaking his head Dohr turned away saying nothing. He wasn't going to start arguing about medicine and how he knew better how the drug worked and how it would only act as a pain killer. Nyex wasn't the type of drug that would dull her mental senses or even the leg like an anasthesic would. But he wasn't her superior and never had been. Such insubordination would not have gone unpunished in the DDF, but now it made no sense to try and turn her head around.

Limping back to the back of the truck, Dohr paused and decided to say something anyway. This time his voice was a little tired or disappointed. "No. I do no wish to try it. Not now. But if you crash this truck due to a spike of agony, I'll be sure to remind you of this discussion." The doctor was more disappointed in himself for losing his temper like that. He couldn't blame Kyvarr, they didn't really know each other or where the other was coming from.


OOC: Good point. I'll do so next time, though I'm kind of hoping there won't be one. :D As for rolling a one, in Intimidation's case that'll certainly make a  difference and would be indeed useful as it would a fumble. Diplomacy… can't quite go that low, though 30 would certainly require a nearly perfect roll. ;)

Oh and you can call me Pekka or Raaveni (my username) :)

This message was last edited by the player at 11:45, Fri 17 Jan 2014.

Heigren
 PC, 215 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 23:29
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren watched the exchange with concern.  Though more for Kyvarr's pain then anything else.  He could feel it radiating off of her.

"Want me to take the injector?  I'm riding up front so if she gets bad I can give it to her and hope she doesn't kill me!"

He'll take the injector if offered, grabs Nein by the arm.  "Don't worry, I'm going to be sitting up front so I'll handle the navigation."

He pulls up the hospital Dohr listed on his datapad, then heads up front and slides in next to Kyvarr.

"We're going to St Denao.  Take the third right and then straight for a few kilometres."
Devon Kismet
 player, 677 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 00:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon quickly located the hospital they were headed for on the map on his data pad, leaned out the back of the truck and waved Flash and Fiarr over.

'That's the one we're headed for.' he told them as he handed the pad over.  'How about you guys take my datapad - it'll strap to your arm - and scout ahead?  make sure we ain't gonna hit trouble.   Hell, make sure the hospital is still standing! '
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 44 posts
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 01:32
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr considered.  "A good idea but I suggest we stick together.  Smaller groups make tempting prey for mobs.  A lone speeder truck makes for a prime target.  I say we take the risk and travel as a group.  Maybe have someone check the net to learn if the hospitals are open."

"Of course I'm not part of your group so will go with whatever you decide."

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 647 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 02:22
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash looked at the map then eyed Devon.  "If you want to do this I have a single condition.  You come with me, not Fiarr.  No offense to our new friend here but I don't know how she flies or fights.  You and I have flown countless missions together.  I know what you can and can't handle, your skill with a blaster and so on.  Her I don't."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 38 posts
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 10:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr quickly looked at the map, then jumped on the comm.

"Hammer here.  We're moving out.  Be sure to keep up."

She tossed the commlink to Heigren then shifted gears and took off quickly down the road, moving as fast as she could without causing the truck to bump around too much.  She was mindful of the injured passengers in the back.


OOC: Pilot 24
Devon Kismet
 player, 679 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 23:24
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon grabbed onto the trucks door frame for balance as Kyvarr started it moving.  Just because he was inside didnt mean he couldnt fall OUT...
"Do what you think best" he called to Flash and Fiarr, then pointed to the datapad in Flashs hands. "And I want that back!  See you at the hospital!"

Slamming the door shut, Devon crouched next to Dohr.
"So what you need me to do, Doc?"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:31, Sat 18 Jan 2014.

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 648 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sun 19 Jan 2014
at 22:02
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash watched as the truck began shooting off down the road.  He spun to Fiarr.  "I'll ride point fifty metres ahead, you come up the rear.  You got a comm?"

Flash will quickly program Fiarr's comm code (if she has one) into Tac channel 2.  Then he jumps on his bike and moves into position fifty metres ahead of the truck.  He had the route programmed into Devon's datapad which was strapped to his wrist.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 163 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 20 Jan 2014
at 22:56
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
The way is treacherous due to fallen rubble and sinkholes in the roads.  The infrastructure has been trashed.  It's all repairable, of course, but the credit bill for it will be astronomical - if it ever gets paid.  Nonetheless the convoy (such as it is) moves along fairly well through the streets of Akari City.

<to Act 5.5.4>
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 179 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 20:50
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Later on...

Arin and Mika emerge about a block from the hotel.  Debris litters the streets but it's lesser here and there are very few vehicles about - presumably the people in them found it safer to drive away (very quickly).  A downed law enforcement speeder nearby is a smoking ruin, its dead pilot lying not far away stripped of weapons and dignity.

Not far behind CC9 emerges in a light two-seat speeder.

As they emerge into the light their comms units fizz into life and they can hear Cor's voice.

"-- If Three has medical care then she is no longer a priority.  Your priority is the spaceport, and I do not say that purely because I happen to be sitting in the ship.  Do you believe you can safely recon the gangs around the spaceport to assess their strengths?  In your swoops, perhaps?"
Mika Trake
 player, 529 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:54
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika should have thought that the droid would be loadjacked.  She'd have to decide how to handle that.  She wasn't really loving the idea of people tracking her movements, regardless if their friend, foe or just nosy.  But for now, in the battlefield, it was probably a good idea.

As the comlink chatter continues, Mika looks confused.  "Hammer!  Who the hell is Hammer?  Think we should consider the comms compromised?"
B2-CC9
 Follower, 236 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"I will communicate with my mistress."  Activating a private channel the droid, still in his speeder, falls silent for a few moments.  One of the benefits of being a droid with an internal commlink.
Arin Branden
 player, 414 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 22:51
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"M4-Five, show us the way to the spaceport through a route that is most effective, while making it easy for the others to join us", the officer said.  "Every minute we spend idling, Eleven is in grave danger and our way off the planet likewise."
M4-5
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 22:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Yes, Master," the droid says immediately, zooming off to obey.
Mika Trake
 player, 530 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 13:43
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Hearing Cor's communication, Mika looks over at Arin.  "Sounds like 11 fancies herself a general."  It's a stunted bit of levity, but with things they way they were, a little bit of levity helped Mika keep things in perspective.

"But the swoops have a pretty high ceiling.  Why should we punch through the gangs when we can easily sail over them?"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:44, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Arin Branden
 player, 420 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 21:09
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Eleven is our eyes and ears at the spaceport, so she knows more about what goes there than anyone else on the team. We'll figure out the situation, get to our ship in a way or another and then make a plan on the future action. We need to get Three out of here at some point, but it will require finding her first and prepping her for transport."
B2-CC9
 Follower, 237 posts
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 09:21
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
CC9 gets out of his speeder and looks around the vicinity, noting other speeders in the area, any deceased organic life forms, fallen rubble and the like.  He does not wander far from the others as he does so.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 182 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 21:44
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
The trio hear the approach of the convoy before they see it but soon the sight comes into view.  The rest of the Talons - and their guests - have arrived.
Mika Trake
 player, 531 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 22:26
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
B2-CC9:
"There are a large number of damaged and abandoned speeders throughout the city," CC9 states flatly over the comms.  "It may be possible to adapt speeder power cells to detonate.  They could then be dropped into the barricades from a considerable height by swoop."  There is a pause.

"It would have an additional psychological impact if the detonation devices were strapped to corpses of fallen civilians, and these dropped by swoop on their heads.  It would require team members willing to do so, however."


Mika, overhearing CC9's comment from her come, turns and calls out to the droid.  "That's disgusting!  They may be dead and all, but that's no reason for us to go around blowing them up.  I'll not be a party to it."
B2-CC9
 Follower, 240 posts
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 22:40
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"That emotional response is precisely my point."  The droid carries on what it is doing, pulling open the hood of a speeder and looking inside.  "Horror is a useful weapon."
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 668 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 03:53
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash spares only a nod for their three team-mates.  On comms he says.

"Nobody unload here.  Now that we've regrouped, let's get to the police station.  Five, Ten, take the left and right flanks.  CC9, follow the truck, I'll stay on rearguard.  Seven, lets keep moving.  Watch for speeders that may be easily salvageable as you go."

The Duros wasn't eager to waste time dallying in a roadway.  Better they get to the station, see what they had to work with and listen to Five and Eleven's plans.
Heigren
 PC, 227 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 09:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren had been sitting quietly in the passenger seat, a map program on his datapad showing the way.  Now that they'd reached the rendezvous point he quietly planned their trip to the police station.  He spoke only when giving Dohr directions.
B2-CC9
 Follower, 243 posts
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 12:58
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
CC9 immediately returns to his speeder and joins the convoy, ready to head out toward the police station thing.
Arin Branden
 player, 422 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 13:02
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin swung his swoop on the right side of the speeder truck and waited for the formation to set up while speaking on the comms. There was little time to lose and as soon as the formation was up, Arin sped off at the best pace the Kel Dor could safely muster from the truck.
Mika Trake
 player, 532 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 14:53
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika nods, drifting over to the right flank.  She still was unsure about this whole mess, but then she wasn't the military genius of the group.  She wasn't so sure if anyone was the military genius of the group, but she'd wait and see.  Once they got to the space port and could put eyes on things, then they'd figure out the way to go.  After all, it should just be a matter of sailing over the people blocking ground access, no need for bombs or ramming gates or any of that mess.
Dohr Veen
 player, 135 posts
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 18:44
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr sat calmly behind the controls of the speeder truck and wondered about their luck. No one had tried to attack of even threaten them on the way back to the hotel. It seemed a bit strange to the Kel Dorian. But then again, Det Akari was a big city. Naturally it wasn't comparable in size to for example Coruscant, but it was a huge city nevertheless. Even putting all the members of all the gangs together there simply wasn't enough insurgents to control every corner of Akari. But they didn't really have to, did they? All they needed to do to create chaos was blow up a building here and shoot a few dozen civilians there.

Det Akari was indeed a big place. And there weren't enough ACE officers to keep all of it safe either. And yet, yet it felt a bit strange that they hadn't met a single ganger on the way or law enforcement for that matter. Perhaps the gangs were striking at something else on the other side of the city, something they needed a larger force for... like a shopping centre or something similar. Perhaps they were getting ready to take the spaceport by force... Or perhaps they were simply having a brew break.

Dohr had no idea, but he knew second guessing didn't help either. He only hoped their luck carried on all the way to the spaceport. When he saw Rian move out, Dohr stepped on the accelerator and followed suit.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:54, Thu 20 Feb 2014.

Devon Kismet
 player, 691 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 21:59
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon paused briefly to tap something into the datapad strapped to his wrist before returning to his role as trailblazer ahead of the truck.

Once again keeping down to a speed the truck could match, Devon led the way to the police station - occasionally he would zoom ahead a little way to check the route for obstructions, or would veer off to one side to examine a promising looking vehicle.

Personally, he doubted they would have much luck at the police station - either the gangers would have already overrun it or the police would be viciously defending it.  Either way, he didnt expect the Talons to be able to get near...
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 60 posts
Fri 21 Feb 2014
at 21:32
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr figured she'd better let these people know what she could do.  Especially since driving vehicles was largely off the list for now.  She scratched at an imaginary itch under her cast.

"Who's your demolitions expert?" the Cathar asked as they drove.  "I'm good with explosives, she's better."  She points to Fiarr.  "I'm also skilled with heavy weapons and ordanance."
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 670 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Fri 21 Feb 2014
at 22:08
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash sighed as he watched Arin AND Mika fly to the same side of the truck.

"Five, Ten.  Whichever of you can work out their left from their right, kindly take position on the LEFT flank.  Unless you are expecting an imminent attack from the right, we don't need you both on the same side."
Mika Trake
 player, 533 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Fri 21 Feb 2014
at 22:23
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika doesn't bother with the comms, instead giving Arin a wave, and drifts over to the left flank of the truck.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 184 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Sat 22 Feb 2014
at 23:52
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
The streets are eerily quiet as the convoy continues.  Further away, over the cityscape, the sounds of gunfire can be heard along with small detonations - grenades, possibly - and the cracking retort of rubble falling away from damaged buildings to smash on (and occasionally through) the streets below.

It's lucky for the convoy that they don't need to restrict themselves to tracked or wheeled movement, because the roads are littered with broken speeders, rubble and the dead.  While the streets here are relatively clear there is still enough debris to hamper any kind of movement that doesn't involve repulsorlift units.  Their progress is smooth, if not terribly swift, and while they are as conspicuous as all hell their numbers and formation also affords them some protection.

Office buildings rise high on either side, largely undamaged, though several speeders seem to have collided with one another a little way ahead.

The team is still about 250m from the law enforcement station.
Devon Kismet
 player, 693 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sun 23 Feb 2014
at 20:43
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Hold on." muttered Devon into his commlink as he surveyed the wrecked speeders they were headed toward.

"This looks... I don't like this.  We got crashed speeders ahead, I see weapons damage.  Road is partially blocked.  Cant see any people.  Could be a trap." Whilst he reported, Devons eyes darted around, trying to guess where ambushers could be laying in wait.

"I'm gonna scout ahead - wish me luck."

Devon accelerated a little, doubling his separation from the rest of the convoy.  If he timed this right he'd go through the suspect area before the rest of the team even reached it - giving him time to spot any problems, and warn them.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:12, Sun 23 Feb 2014.

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 676 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sun 23 Feb 2014
at 21:27
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Understood Seven, keep an open channel."  Flash responded.  He couldn't see from his rear point but he became more alert, scanning the area more actively for trouble.

"Five, Ten, suggest you move up until you're both parallel with the truck.  We'll should switch from diamond to delta formation until Seven returns."

Flash diplomatically worded it as a suggestion rather then an order.  It wasn't out of any thought of Arin's feelings.  He simply didn't want to confuse the chain of command.  Arin had taken the lead on this mission and Flash didn't want to confuse the issue.
Heigren
 PC, 229 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Sun 23 Feb 2014
at 21:33
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren looks ahead for a second then quickly brings up his datapad.  He was looking for side streets or any other routes that avoided the potential 'danger area'.
Arin Branden
 player, 426 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Sun 23 Feb 2014
at 22:25
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Five moving in to Delta formation. Seven, watch your back." Arin took his new position in the convoy, his mind racing with possible tactical solutions and their outcomes.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 185 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 00:50
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Without warning the sound of a blaster is heard, high up, and a blaster bolt slams into the street just in front of Devon, forcing him to swerve violently.

< Spot checks for everyone except Devon; Reflex save for Devon. >
Heigren
 PC, 230 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 04:59
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren was so busy studying maps on his datapad he completely missed the shot being fired.  Speaking into his comm he said.

"A few small alleys coming up, narrow but we'll fit at reduced speed.  Will take us longer to get there.  Maybe we should just risk going forward."



Spot Check - Natural 1!!!!
Arin Branden
 player, 427 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 09:34
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin was too busy thinking about tactics to notice anything, especially with the sunlight reflecting at his eyes from the side of a building.

Spot-check, natural 1. Oh bugger...
Devon Kismet
 player, 694 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 13:49
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Although he had more or less been expecting the shot, Devon still twitched and swerved when it happened.

Fighting the bike back onto an even keel, Devon found himself thanking the fates that the shooter had either aimed to miss, or was just a plain lousy shot.  The next shot fired would decide which - and Devon had no plans to make himself an easy target.

Reflex save:  17

This message was last edited by the player at 13:51, Mon 24 Feb 2014.

Mika Trake
 player, 536 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 14:55
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Focused on her own little portion of the convoy, Mika doesn't notice anything noteworthy until the blaster bolt hits the pavement.

08:54, Today: Mika Trake rolled 6 using 1d20-1. Spot Check.
Dohr Veen
 player, 137 posts
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 16:48
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Well he'd practically been begging for it by questioning the quietness of the streets during the drive from St.Denao. Dohr Veen didn't put much faith in stuff like luck or sootsaying even though he'd witnessed his father foretelling many things before they'd taken place. It had been almost magical for the young boy and he'd always secretly wondered if the general would've been able to guess the lottery symbols before they were drawn.

So although he knew he hadn't personally conjured up the ambush, Dohr felt like cursing himself for thinking about it. Hearing Forim's suggestion, the Kel Dorian Major nodded. It was very likely that the main part of the attack would come either directly from the front or the sides and not behind their little convoy. The gang members weren't really smart enough or skilled in tactics to come up with such a plan. Or so he hoped. Sitting in the cockpit of the truck there really wasn't too much he could do about the attack other than trying to dodge the shots. "Kyvarr! If you can think of anything that might help me keep us alive while driving this thing, do not hesitate to tell me. You and Fiarr must act as my spotters and call out any attackers or obstacles as I need to concetrate fully on the driving."

Dohr tried to relax as much as possible and kept his eyes on the road and the barricade ahead.

17:45, Today: Dohr Veen rolled 17 using 1d20+1. Spot Check
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 63 posts
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 00:28
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
When asked by Dohr for advice on how to stay alive she replies in a flat tone.

"Don't stop, don't drive predictably, don't get out."
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 186 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 02:09
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
There comes another shot but Devon's reflexes are adequate to the task.  Barely.  Fragments of road kick up at the impact of the bolt.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:16, Tue 25 Feb 2014.

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 677 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 02:20
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Shot fired.  Repeat shot fired.  South side, parallel to Seven's position.  No fix on the shooter though he has elevation."
B2-CC9
 Follower, 247 posts
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 02:30
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Southern rooftop, lone Wookiee, probably male.  Wielding a light sniper rifle, possibly hunting rifle."  The droid's voice is sharp and quick.  "Extreme caution advised."  CC9 is painfully aware that he is unarmed.  An unarmed battle droid is like an R2 unit with no tools installed, like an Ewok without a stick, like a Twi'lek dancer without an audience.
Arin Branden
 player, 429 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 09:19
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Seven, head up towards the wookie for distraction. I'll join you", Arin said in to the comms and pulled his swoop in to a steep climb. "Two, Ten, CC and Doc, keep on moving through the kill-zone and keep your eyes peeled." Turning the accelerator full on, Arin felt the airflow while shooting up in a high angle. He made evasive moves on the way up and pulled the blaster pistol with his other hand. The only thing was, he could only hope, there was no more snipers around.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 65 posts
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 09:56
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr listened before speaking.  "Single shooter, low yield weapon.  Either a lone shooter, a distraction or bait."

She seemed to ponder for a second.  "Get us through doc, as fast as you can.  A rifle wont do much damage but he could have friends or trying to lure us out of our vehicles."
Dohr Veen
 player, 140 posts
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 15:53
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
""I noticed the shooter too. Seems to have his sights on you, Seven. And roger that, Five." A single shooter seemed most unlikely looking at the multiple speeders littering the street, but Dohr agreed with Kyvarr. The Wookie was probably a bait or a distraction. As the gunman was aiming at Rian anyway, the doctor decided to ignore him completely and concentrated on doing what both Five and she were saying. It was his job to get the through and the others' to keep them safe from any ambushers. "I hope you are right Hammer and he only has a small caliber sniper rifle. This tin can does not provide us much of protection, but it does make us an easy target."

17:52, Today: Dohr Veen rolled 24 using 1d20+6. Pilot roll.
Devon Kismet
 player, 695 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Tue 25 Feb 2014
at 23:19
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr Veen:
"I noticed the shooter too. Seems to have his sights on you, Seven. And roger that, Five."


"Yeah." answered Devon as he wrenched his bike through another evasive turn, then almost stood it on its tail to get some altitude under him.  As he screamed upwards away from the street, Devon applied all the tricks he would use to dodge fire from a stationary turret in a dogfight - he may have been riding a swoop and not piloting a fighter, but the principles were the same...
"If they can shoot someone off their bike, then the rest of you have to stop for pick up - keeps us in one place.  Five - I'm gonna dive back down when you hit him, just say when.  I'm the distraction, you take the shot."

Levelling out of his climb and pulling another tight turn to throw the aim of anyone trying to line a shot up, Devon risked a brief glance down to get an idea of the lay of the land.

Spot roll:  16
Heigren
 PC, 232 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Wed 26 Feb 2014
at 09:18
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren rubbed his sore head and looked embarrassed as he got back into his seat and collected his datapad.

"Only side roads are narrow alleys that would slow us down.  We need to go forwards, back or stop."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 67 posts
Wed 26 Feb 2014
at 10:12
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Do not slow, do not stop.  We need to get through before any trap is fully closed."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:53, Wed 26 Feb 2014.

Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 57 posts
Wed 26 Feb 2014
at 23:37
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr sat quietly.  She'd checked her blaster was fully charged and ready to go.  Now all she could do was wait.  She wasn't about to stick her head out the back for no purpose.  For now she was reliant on her Kel Dor driver and escort riders.  If she needed to start shooting they were in serious trouble.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 679 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 00:01
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash grumbled to himself as Arin rushed off to play hero. . .again.  He kept quiet as this was not the time or place for such things.

"Ten take point, I'll stay at the back.  Steer the best path for the vehicles and they will follow you.    Doc, CC9.  Stay in formation with Ten.  I'll do my best to watch the sides for more attackers."

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:03, Thu 27 Feb 2014.

B2-CC9
 Follower, 248 posts
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 01:17
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Breaking formation is ill-advised," CC9 states before adding, "Acknowledged, Two."
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 189 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 04:32
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
What occurs next happens in a flash - literally. Arin doesn't even see it coming.

As his swoop rises from its place in the formation the shooter must have registered Arin as an active threat. Whatever the case there comes the powerful retort of a blaster shot and a bolt of energy slams into Arin's chest - a downright brilliant shot. The ex-Imperial is slammed with the rifle bolt as if he'd purposefully flown into it.

< Everyone please roll initiative and declare initial actions. >

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:40, Thu 27 Feb 2014.

Arin Branden
 player, 430 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 07:56
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin felt the pain, but even through it his instincts and training as a combat pilot kicked in and he rolled his swoop in to a dive towards the convoy. "It's a trap! Everyone forward at best speed - we need to get out of the kill-zone!" And despite the situation, the ex-Imperial sounded rather calm and concentrated. The blaster bolt in to the chest might have been a potential reason for being concentrated as it hurt like hell.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 681 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 09:12
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash grumbled in his native tongue.  "[Language unknown:  Ha prerestic.  Weul a vorestvor ntihatvir no, les ittius e thuomethu ur poven?]"

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:57, Fri 28 Feb 2014.

Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 58 posts
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 09:29
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr snorted but said nothing.  She waited to be needed.


Inititative: 24.  Pull out a natural 20 when there is nothing for me to do!
Dohr Veen
 player, 141 posts
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 11:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Despite knowing better, Dohr couldn't help but cast a look at the two speeders heading towards the ambushing Wookie. He wasn't happy about the move as it left the rest of the convoy, namely the truck he was driving, less protected. It was also fairly dangerous for the two guys piloting the bikes. Yet he could see their point in trying to take out the single shooter they were aware of as quickly as possible. It wasn't really wise to leave a sniper alone unless one was moving fast enough to get out of his range in just a few seconds.

To make the glance worse, he managed to do it at the very moment the Wookie squeezed his trigger and the bolt hit Arin. Apparently the ambusher had considered Five a bigger threat than Seven. The shot was dead on perfect hitting the human in the middle of the chest, but for some reason Five managed to stay on his bike. Either he was extremely lucky or was wearing some kind of armor Dohr had so far missed.

Looking at the situation to the side of the speeder truck cost the doctor some of his concentration and valuable seconds too. Turning his eyes back on the street ahead, it took him a couple of heartbeats to get back into the mode he had been just a moment earlier. He then accelerated a little, but didn't want to go flat out as the situation didn't seem quite that bad yet. He'd rather risk being hit by a single gunman than crash the four of them into a wall at top speed.


12:27, Today: Dohr Veen rolled 10 using 1d20+8. Initiative. Well I'm glad it wasn't a natural 1. :)
Mika Trake
 player, 537 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 14:01
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika calls into the comms, "Sure thing 2."

Mika revs up the swoop a bit and shifts to take the lead, wondering why Flash thinks she's the best one to trip whatever trap lies ahead.

OOC:  I'm under the impression that we're not posting to the secure comms thread at this point as everyone (Cor in spirit) is back together.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 68 posts
Thu 27 Feb 2014
at 22:55
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr couldn't see much, didn't see Five get hit.  She just knew the sniper was clearly distracted as no shots were hitting the truck.

"Keep going, full speed."


Init - 10

This message was last edited by the player at 20:59, Fri 28 Feb 2014.

Devon Kismet
 player, 696 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Fri 28 Feb 2014
at 00:20
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
High above the fight, Devon winced as he saw Arin take the hit.  From up here, he had no idea how badly hurt Arin was - but the ex-Imperial hadnt fallen off his bike and sounded calm enough over the comms, so Devon presumed it couldnt be TOO bad.  Perhaps the shot had simply winged the bike.  And sure, maybe Arin was being slow on the uptake today - Devon had pointed out it was a trap before the shooting even started... but that didnt mean Devon wanted anyone getting hurt.

Devon had no intention of putting himself any closer to that sniper - who's aim seemed to be rapidly improving - than he had to.  As long as they weren't forced to stop, they should be fine - and from the comm chatter it sounded like most everyone realized that.

If this bike was armed, I could strafe that frakking sniper and get him ducking... Devon told himself in frustration.  Better get creative instead - see if I cant ambush the ambusher.

"Seven here - Five, get out of there.  I'm going to try and get behind that sniper and take him out."

Turning the bike away from the fight, Devon shot away and dived down a side street.  As soon as he was hidden from the sniper by a building, he reduced speed and started to loop back, careful to stay below the rooftops but well above street level and wary of further ambushes.
Hopefully that was convincing and the wookie thinks I bugged out when he hit Arin...
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 190 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Sun 2 Mar 2014
at 06:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
COMBAT!

Gunning their engines the entire convoy moves forward at speed - the swoops are hampered, of course, by needing to stick close to the truck but nonetheless the whole fleet rushes forward through the kill-zone toward safety on the other side.

Their rush is not without consequence.

On the first floor up, in both buildings on either side of the street, three shooters wearing bright scarlet gang colours appear and open fire.  In the merest split instant the whole convoy can see their targets - the swoop bikes.  They're most likely grounded gang members looking for new rides.  Three unload on the northern-most swoop - Mika - and three on the southern-most - Arin.

Mika feels (and hears) blaster bolts roar past her, one so close that it scorches the cloth across her shoulders and singes her hair at the back.  Too close, too close!  These gang members are good.  If she weren't simply trying her best to escape she has the cold, dreadful feeling that things would have gone much worse for her. 

Arin doesn't fare so well.  Already knocked off-kilter by the hit that the sniper scored on him, his nosedive for the street leaves him desperate to escape and takes him right past two of the gang members on his side.  He feels a solid hit ram into the rear right thruster of his swoop and as it cuts out his bike goes into a spin.  As he struggles to regain control a second blast hits him - directly in the face.  His world ends in a flash of red as his brain is boiled instantly in its skull. 

Without a pilot to control it the swoop swings violently around to the right and slams into the side of the building, erupting in a small fireball - directly at one of the gang members' windows.  As debris rains down the burning figure of the man who shot Arin in the head falls, screaming, from the window, dying instantly as he hits the street.  Arin's last retaliation is also his final revenge.

The gangers on both sides of the street withdraw at the sound of the explosion and the rest of the convoy gets away clean.  Only Devon is left and as he watches the sniper aims and takes a shot at the last swoop in the convoy - Flash's.  It's a near thing, too, the shot zooming back the Duros's left side. 

Devon takes a single shot and his aim is true.  Shooting the sniper in the back he drops the Wookiee without a problem (he has the high ground).  The gang member drops to the ground without even a grunt, his (heavily modified) blaster rifle clattering beside him. 

Combat Ends.

The convoy reaches the safety of a wide, open laneway.  The place looks like a war-zone, with dead gang members, broken swoops and parts of law enforcement officer littering the street amongst the rubble and mess.  Nonetheless it seems free of people trying to shoot them in the face and up ahead they can see their target - the cop station.  It looks a freaking mess - someone's hit it with a rocket launcher.  Debris covers most of the door.  Some of the building is still intact, though, so there's no telling what - or who - might be inside.

< Everyone please head to Act 5.5.5: Law Enforcement Station; I'll leave this thread open in case anyone chooses to stop or otherwise react to something in this scene.  Spot Check for everyone except Devon (who's been left behind somewhat) and Arin (who is, sadly, dead). >
Heigren
 PC, 233 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Sun 2 Mar 2014
at 09:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren found his mouth agape, his eyes following the disaster, unable to look away.  It all happened so quickly;  the blaster shot that undoubtedly killed Arin, the out of control speeder crashing into the window bearing the shooter, the explosion.  It was over in a few seconds.  The Zeltron had no words, he could only stare.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 683 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sun 2 Mar 2014
at 09:54
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Five is hit.  Five is hit.  No 'chute."  Whilst they were not in starfighters he used the pilot's vernacular to indicate Arin couldn't have survived.

When he saw that the crash had scattered the ambushers, he suppressed a smile.  "Damn hero saved the day." he muttered to himself.  Then he focused on the mission.  They'd be time to raise a glass of ale to Arin later.

"Head for the target zone.  Don't stop until we get there."
Devon Kismet
 player, 697 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sun 2 Mar 2014
at 17:28
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash:
  "Five is hit.  Five is hit.  No 'chute."


"Frakk." snarled Devon as he realized what Flash meant.  Although he and Arin hadnt exactly got  along, for a moment Devon felt the temptation to storm the building the gangers were in, hunt them down and wreak bloody vengeance upon their cowering forms.

Instead he forced himself to focus on the practical.  He had a half a minute at best before the surviving gangers came to see what had happened to their wookie pal.  Devon steered his bike over to the slumped figure and quickly scooped up the rifle that the wookie had been using.  Slinging the weapon over his shoulder by its carry strap, Devon glanced down at the unmoving wookie.

"I'm gonna do you the best favour I can." he said.  "I'm not gonna check if your dead."

Gunning his bike forward, Devon circled above the road for a moment, squinting down.
It only took him a moment to spot what he was looking for, and to see that Flash had been right - there was no point staying here.  Devon opened up the bikes throttle and hurtled after his friends at top speed.

The body he had spotted had been missing most of its head, but Devon had recognized the clothes - the black racing leathers with blue trim that Arin had bought when they first arrived.
"Seven confirms:  Five had no 'chute."