Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel.   Posted by Master Raiwaw.Group: 0
Heigren
 PC, 196 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Mon 23 Dec 2013
at 08:41
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren had moved off as soon as the Cathar was safe.  Soon he came back with several civilians.

"This cafe seems to have survived the worst of it.  Let's make this a meeting centre for people.  I'll direct everyone I find to come here and await emergency services."

Once he was happy the civilians had it under control he moved over to Flash and co.  "Ready to go!"
Arin Branden
 player, 361 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Mon 23 Dec 2013
at 15:36
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin observed the scene. It was somewhat a warzone, if he knew one, and it arose suspicions on who was behind it all. The ruins looked like someone would have really wanted to do as much collateral damage as possible, and Arin deemed the mission accomplished. He wondered how many humans and aliens had lost their lives in the mess.

The ex-Imperial swooped down, closer to the street level and slowed down at a reasonably safe spot. <b>"Ten, Five. Are we close", he asked Mika.
Dohr Veen
 player, 96 posts
Mon 23 Dec 2013
at 22:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr's reaction wasn't unexpected, quite on the contrary. He'd dealt with warrior types more than a few times before and could understand their behavior. In any case, she was still under a shock caused by the trauma whether she acknowledged it or not. And nine out of ten people like the Cathar did not want to show how much they were hurting. Therefore the angry comment was nothing less of what he had been waiting for.

But it was just as well. She probably had a simple, closed fracture in her leg, not a compound one and wasn't in need of immediate surgery. Or at least Dohr didn't notive any clear signs of bleeding or protruding bones with his quick scan. With a proper splinter she could have limited, albeit painful, movement until there would be enough time and the needed equipment to set the bone. Right now, the doctor wasn't happy with his diagnosis, but it was the best he could do in such a short time and the danger they were still in. With the splinter in place, Kyvarr would in his opinion have very little chance of making the injury worse. At least she'd be able to hop or limp to the swoops or the cafe.

All he now needed was to find suitable pieces of plasteel or plastiwood or something similar to build the splinter. Dohr nodded to the Cathar and leaning on his cane, stood up and had a look around for possible items to use. If he found nothing else, the beautifully ornamented walking stick would have to suffice…
Mika Trake
 player, 500 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 01:44
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin Branden:
The ex-Imperial swooped down, closer to the street level and slowed down at a reasonably safe spot. "Ten, Five. Are we close", he asked Mika.


Mika slows down enough to be almost stopped as she looks at the data pad.  "Hard to say.  Give me a minute."
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 143 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 06:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika's datapad shows the search location to be a little east of their current location.  The rubble all about shows it as being highly difficult to walk there. Lucky they have swoops.

The remains of the hotel are easy to find, the damage devastating.  Whatever they left in their rooms, if anything, is thoroughly destroyed.  Most of the streets are empty of people (empty of living people, anyway; they can see plenty of corpses reduced to red smears under the fallen chunks of building, the whole area smelling of burning and death) but the pair spot movement coming from inside the café opposite the No-Longer-So-Grand Hotel itself.

Inside the café the civilians have started organising themselves, one of the waitresses tending to people's wounds with the medkit she snagged from behind the counter.  Tables are being cleared to make space for the injured to lie down; the folks surviving in the café largely have superficial injuries but they're expecting people to make their way here with far more grievous wounds.  Two of them volunteer to act as scouts to find survivors and guide them back.  The act of organising seems to give them comfort in this harsh time.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 631 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 09:47
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash looked at Heigren's preperations for the cafe as a refugee station and nodded.  He hadn't thought of that.  What he did see was he now had three extra passengers, one with a broken leg.

He jumped on the comms.  "Five, this is Two.  Need you to meet up with us.  We have three extra passengers and only two swoops.  Will need you and Ten to both take a passenger.  We're in the cafe directly opposite the hotel entrance, well where the entrance use to be."
Arin Branden
 player, 363 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 13:03
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin heard both transmissions. He had to make the call between those in relative shelter and those who were not and the decission was easy to make. "Negative on that, Two. I have a positive lock on our lost companions. You will have to fend for yourselves for a moment, while Ten and I secure them. After that we'll figure out a proper transportation out of here for us all." He motioned for Mika to follow. "M-four five, initiate perimeter defence with M-four ten but do not engage unless engaged. We'll be right there."

"Ten, trace my M-4's location. They found our missing friends."
Mika Trake
 player, 501 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 17:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Got it, follow me.". Having seen the location on the data pad, Mika revs the swoop a bit and heads that direction.  She holds off on recalling her droid, No reason to reel itinuntil they've confirmed the finding.  While moving, she keeps an eye out for any serviceable vehicles, preferably something with repulsorlifts, the streets weren't very friendly to ground transportation at the moment.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 21:12, Tue 24 Dec 2013.

Arin Branden
 player, 366 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 18:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin shot after Mika on his swoop. Time was of the essence here - they wanted to be out of there as soon as possible. He did not want to sound too commanding - after all, he was not officially in vharge. But this was an ample opportunity for him to show his capability in running things. However, it was all secondary to finding Sheila and CC9 as well as getting the whole team out of there and ont o the ship. Shopping for new starfighters would have to wait, too.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 633 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 22:24
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Seven, think you can find us a larger speeder?  Something that seats at least three, ideally something that lets Kyvarr keep her broken leg out straight?"
Dohr Veen
 player, 98 posts
Tue 24 Dec 2013
at 23:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
It didn't take Dohr long to find what he was looking for. Amongst the debris a few meters away were pieces of plasteel a couple of which were suitable for building a splint. They certainly weren't perfect, but would work well enough to help them all get away from the open and into some safer place like the cafe the others were talking about.

The Kel Dor limped to the pile of rubble and grabbed the plasteel pieces and quickly walked back. He wasn't moving quite as fast as he had coming out of the hotel, but still rapidly enough to get back to Kyvarr's side in no time. The doctor knelt down, dropped his bag on the ground in front of him and fished out the things he needed.

Since there wasn't any bleeding, Dohr didn't bother cutting the Cathar's pants open. He simply rolled a small towel around the broken leg for padding, put the plasteel pieces on either side,  wrapped another piece of cloth on top and turned it all into a nice packet with the help of a roll of gauze.

"Ok. Were done here. The split will help you move around, but your leg <u>needs</I> someone,  me or somebody else, to have a better look at it soon, very soon. The plasteel pieces will not offer  your leg quite the support it would need, but it is what can be done right now."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 15 posts
Wed 25 Dec 2013
at 06:36
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr looked at Dohr's handiwork.  "Thanks Doc.  It'll be fine."  She stood and took a few tentative steps.  It hurt like hell but there was nothing to be done about it.  People were hurt way worse then her.

"So where we headed?" she asked.
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 28 posts
Wed 25 Dec 2013
at 11:34
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr returned with a crutch she'd lashed together from salvage she'd found within the damaged cafe.  She held it out to Kyvarr.

"Not pretty but it'll have to do."
Devon Kismet
 player, 659 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Thu 26 Dec 2013
at 22:28
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Pulling himself out from underneath his speeder, Devon regarded it with a critical eye whilst replying to various comms queries.

"Both bikes will be ready by the time Two and company get back here. As for getting a better vehicle?  Can do - I think I recall seeing something suitable about a block away.  But it might not be as easy as you think"

Devon wedged his hydrospanner in behind a twisted piece of bodywork and with a grunt of effort levered it back into something like the right shape.  It was a bodge job and the aerodynamics wouldnt be right, but the bike would at least be controllable.  Kneeling down he began rechecking the more technical work he'd already done.

"The cops are shooting at anyone they think is a trouble maker right now.  If we get caught lifting a vehicle, they ARE gonna open fire.  And that leaves us in a firefight with the local law.  Not a situation we want to be in - we need to make sure it dont happen..."
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 634 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Fri 27 Dec 2013
at 06:13
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash gathered up Heigren and their new 'friends'.  "Okay here's the plan.  We're going to head back to where our colleague is repairing our swoops.  From there we'll secure larger transport."

He switched on the comm.  "Seven, Two here.  Coming to you.  Be there in a couple of minutes."

He turned back to the others.  "Let's go."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 16 posts
Fri 27 Dec 2013
at 12:17
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr takes a few practice steps with her crutch then nods at Flash.  "Let's go."
Mika Trake
 player, 502 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Fri 27 Dec 2013
at 17:58
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika continues to where the droid indicated the downed taxi, eyes roving about for their target and anyone who might mean them harm.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:49, Mon 30 Dec 2013.

Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 29 posts
Fri 27 Dec 2013
at 19:25
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Tell me where we're heading and I'll go first as scout.  I'm good at remaining unseen."
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 635 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sat 28 Dec 2013
at 07:43
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash quickly agreed with Fiarr's plan.  There was no doubting the Bothan was sneaky.  Giving her the address of where Devon was he gave her a brief head start then led Kyvarr and the others towards the safe house.
Dohr Veen
 player, 99 posts
Sat 28 Dec 2013
at 10:26
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr listened to the plan the Duros presented and the two women quickly agreed upon. As the Bothan was ready to leave, the Kel Dor shook his head and voiced his concerns: "Your plan is sound and I would gladly agree to follow it were we in enemy territory or in the middle of a war. But unfortunately I have to disagree with you or at least my personal priorities lie elsewhere. Although I am both a soldier and a doctor by training, the latter is the one that takes over in situations like this. To me these explosions are an act of terrorism against the civilians of Det Akari, no matter what the real reason behind them might be. Therefore and especially since I do not, as of yet at least, belong to your group, I must look after the wellbeing of the innocent parties first."

The doctor's voice, even through the amplifier, was calm and soft as he continued. "I believe your friend, Mr. Teckla has already gone ahead into the cafe to start turning it into a safety zone for the injured. So unless he is ready to leave as well and everything is well with those inside, I cannot join you to your meeting point just yet. Please do not get me wrong. I am really looking forward to meeting you all and to the interview you have arranged as soon as I have done all I can to help any injured people here. I also am in no position to ask you to follow me as I know you must worry over your friends too. But should it be possible for you to linger a while longer, I would most certainly appreciate it."
Heigren
 PC, 197 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Sat 28 Dec 2013
at 22:18
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren moved over beside Dohr.  "We can't all take the swoops anyway.  I'll stay with Dohr and help out here.  Why don't Forim and Fiarr go to get the bikes and a new speeder and Kyvarr stay with Dohr and myself for protection?"
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 30 posts
Sun 29 Dec 2013
at 00:12
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr nodded.  "A wise plan."  Instead of going ahead, she waited for the Duros to be ready.  No need for a scout if it was just the two of them.
Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 636 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 02:41
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash shrugged then activated his comm. "Seven it's Two. I'm coming back with a Bothan. Be ready to move. Decide how best to secure more transport."
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 144 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 12:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon is about done by the time the others get to him.  The bikes will fly straight again even if they're cosmetically unappealing.  As for finding more transport, well.  Just from where they're standing its clear that finding an abandoned speeder isn't the hard part - finding an undamaged one is not only going to be tricky but, in the immediate vicinity, impossible.  Rubble litters the street for a couple of blocks.  Even now the occasional chunk of building comes loose from the surrounding skyscrapers and crashes onto the street below.

They'll need to look further afield - and travelling separately probably isn't safe any more.

The civilians huddled in the café look downright relieved when the Doctor says he's going to stay and look after them.  It's very clear none of them have medical training.  Most are barely holding it together as their world continues to crash down around their ears (almost, but not quite, literally).  Their medical supplies aren't good - one partially-used first aid medkit - so a bit of medical expertise (and, perhaps, some skilled defence) is greatly appreciated.

They're making do for now.  They'll need more space or a chance to evacuate soon.

Mika and Arin, following the hovering droids, find themselves at the lip of an enormous hole in the street.  From the look of it the hole goes down several sub-basements into the bowels of the city below, torn in the infrastructure by plummeting vehicles.  Pieces of speeder - along with the crisp, burnt limbs and guts of civilian victims - litter the entire area.  As far down as Mika and Arin can see there are crashed vehicles, some totally demolished, others almost intact.  Who can say how many people died in this area alone?  How many still survive, slowly bleeding out, perhaps unconscious, maybe awake and trapped in their speeders?

The pair can't see their team-mates but they can see the pair of M4 droids, circling now and then, letting out short beeps as they check the area.  It's hard to say what kind of information they're getting as neither Arin nor Mika know what components the droids hold.
Arin Branden
 player, 368 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Mon 30 Dec 2013
at 20:18
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Arin motioned Mika to hold position. "M4-five, can you point CC-9 and Three for me there", he asked the peppy little droid through his comlink. He tried to peer down the chasm in the ground, but also kept his eyes open for any falling debris and hostile intent directed at himself. He made a note to himself to get a detailed description of the droid's capabilities and to equip it for a number of things, just to be sure. He'd need to obtain some gear for himself as well for planetside survival and missions - he wouldn't be sitting in the cockpit all the time with the Talons.