Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel.   Posted by Master Raiwaw.Group: 0
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 34 posts
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 05:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"You heard the doctor.  Move it, MOVE IT!" boomed a voice from the back of the cafe.

Having finished her reconnaissance with her two helpers, she now limped towards the truck.  She leaned heavily on her makeshift cane.  All this extra walking was pushing the pain past even her tolerances.  Her body screamed at her to sit down but stubbornness pushed her on.  She could rest, maybe get a painkiller when they got these people to a hospital.

If directed she takes the driver's seat.  Her leg bothered her less when she was sitting and being useful kept her distracted.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:06, Thu 16 Jan 2014.

Dohr Veen
 player, 109 posts
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 09:42
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Hearing Kyvarr's voice made Dohr smile. Even though the doctor was slow to warm to new friendships, he'd already taken a liking to her just like he had to Vyn Teckla. Despite their little argument earlier on, the Cathar was a soldier to the bone and being one himself, Dohr felt an immediate kinship with her. The two of them would understand each other and get together just fine should there be an opportunity to work together later on. Soldiers tended to be frank and that's the way the Kel Dor liked it. He could be smooth-talking and persuasive himself if need be, but preferred to convince people by the way of explanation and argumentation.

But hearing the woman bark the order, Dohr thought he heard a slight ripple in her voice. It wasn't quite as strong as it had been earlier. All the moving about with a broken leg was taking its toll even on someone as strong-willed and powerful as her. The doctor lowered himself on one knee between Mack and the semi-unconscious Duros woman whose name he still didn't know and pulled out his last Nyex-injector from his bag.

He then called out to Fiarr: "Fiarr, take this shot to Kyvarr and make sure she takes it. It is simple to use, simply press it against a large muscle and squeeze the trigger. It should help with the pain until we get to the MedCenter."
Devon Kismet
 player, 676 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Thu 16 Jan 2014
at 23:38
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Dohr Veen:
"I do not see Ms. Carstairs around, but would any of you have any medical background? Even though brave Nien here did an exceptional job as my assistant, I would not mind having someone with a little more training and experience at hand should I need help. If you do, please join us in the back."


Muttering "waste of damn time..." disgustedly Devon disentangled himself from the wires he had been up to his elbows in and vacated the drivers seat so that Kyvarr could get in. Climbing into the back he touched Dohrs elbow to get the Kel Dors attention.

Dohr found himself looking at a blonde haired human male dressed in casual street clothes and - like everyone else - currently covered in dust and grime.  There was a gash above Devons eye that must have bled freely at some point, then been wiped to keep the blood from running into his eyes.  A matching red smear on Devons sleeve showed what he had wiped his face with.

"I think I might be the best you're gonna find right now, Doc." he said apologetically.
"Call me Rian, or Seven.  No real medical training but I've had to treat a few wounds before now."
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 43 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 01:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr accepted the injector from Dohr with a nod.  She then went and spoke to Kyvarr and handed the drug to her.

"Doc says he wants you to take this.  Then you're pilotting this speeder.  I think we're heading for a hospital but I haven't been informed."

Once Kyvarr had the injector, Fiarr went and sat on Rian's bike again.  Sounded like he'd be riding with the doctor so she'd better take the bike.  Kyvarr could normally fly it better then her but not with a broken leg.

She straddled the swoop and waited for instructions.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 36 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 04:34
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr examined the drug in her hands then limped over to the back of the speeder.  She caught Dohr's eye then tossed it to him.

"Keep it for a civilian who needs it."

Without waiting for a response she hobbled to the driver's seat, climbed in and began checking the controls while waiting for a destination.
Heigren
 PC, 214 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 04:35
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Having helped the others load the truck, Heigren then pulled out his datapad and looked at it as Cor downloaded it to Devon's datapad.  He looked at Dohr and Devon.

"I volunteer to ride up front with Kyvarr and navigate for her.  We just need a destination."  He looks at the hospitals on his map.  "Well this one is on our way to the spaceport but is it equipped for these types of patients?  Which one should we go to Dohr?"
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 160 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 04:45
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Location: the Café

The two civvies report back to Kyvarr quickly saying the turbolift leads to a lower store room but that the door from the lower store room leads out to a street on that level.  No more detail than that, unfortunately.  The place looks structurally stable but Kyvarr said no more than two minutes and, well, they're kind of scared of her.

At the call to depart the civilians do their best to help.  The Duros hang around their injured friend but it's clear neither of them have the faintest clue how to look after critically injured people.  Nonetheless they all take directions as best they can.

Outside the speeder seems ready.  Crates of feminine hygiene products are scattered on the ground behind the truck while the rest of the street seem gaunt and quiet.  Most of the dead is buried under rubble but the outline of bodies is still evident.  It's a massacre.  It might be a massacre of collateral damage but nonetheless it's still a bloody massacre.

As they're loading up a swoop bike comes tearing around the corner about twenty metres up.  It has law enforcement markings and is wobbling dangerously; it's smoking badly where several hits have damaged the thrusters and steering vanes.  Right behind it are two more swoops, firing heavy bike-mounted blasters which anyone who's been on Det Akari more than five minutes will know are highly illegal.  One of the swoops slows down to hover above the civilians and the speeder while the other continues chasing the beleaguered cop.

The civvies drop down, several of them shrieking in fear.

After a few seconds the hovering bike speeds on its way, apparently satisfied.  From up the street the sound of an explosion can be heard - a sound a lot like the one that a speeder bike might make hitting a building at high speed.
Dohr Veen
 player, 110 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 08:48
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
He wasn't Ms. Carstairs, but this one would do just fine. Dohr turned around as Devon touched his shoulder. He automatically checked the fairly fresh wound on his forehead, but dismissed it as it didn't seem to be causing any problems right now. The doctor nodded his head in greeting and shook the human's hand firmly as was their habit. "I am most pleased to meet you, Rian. Thank you. And never mind about the training, you will do great. Oh.. My name is Dohr Veen or Dohr or Doc, whatever suits you."

Dohr wasn't surprised to see Kyvarr limping to the back of the truck and tossing the injector back to him. The doctor caught it easily, but he wasn't going to let her off so easily. "Soldier! I do not care if you feel you can manage without the shot or not. I do not even care that much if you are in pain or not. But as you will be driving this vehicle with injured civilians in the back, you need to have a clear head and full concentration on the driving. So you WILL take the shot before we take off or you are not driving. I will not allow your noble gesture get us all killed." The Kel Dorian was full in Major mode again and his voice, though not cold, was saying we did not want her to question the order again.

If the Cathar stopped to listen, the doctor tossed the injector back to her. If not, he got up and limped to the front and repeated his bollocking.

Just as he finished his rant, the trio of swoops cornered the building next to them. Apparently someone had been providing the gangs with heavy machinery as the ones chasing sported weapons Dohr had not seen before during his 18 months on Det Akari. One of the bikes stopped to hover above them while the others carried on. There was nothing they could do should it decide to open fire. As far as Dohr knew, his flechette pistol was the only weapon they had and it wasn't of much use against the biker's heavy blasters. He knew he had a reputation of sorts at least amongst the gangs of the Claws. The leaders of most had given him an untouchable status due to his work to save lives on all sides. There was no telling if this one would honor that status or just obliterate him. But before Dohr had a chance to give talking to him a try, the second ganger sped off after his pal.

They were safe for now, but not for long. The next spice-head might decide to shoot them down just for fun. As far as Dohr knew, they had two options: The Cedar Beach Memorial Medical Center on one of the better areas of Det Akari was one of the best, if not the best hospital within easy reach. But even it was 15 minutes away and to the opposite direction from the spaceport. The other one, St. Denao Hospital was closer. It was far from Cedar Beach's level of quality, but they had good enough equipment and people to keep the Duros woman alive and even to save her leg. St. Denao was closer too. Dohr would've liked to provide the Duros to the best possible care, but the fact was that she probably didn't have 15 minutes even if they could get there in one piece.

Dohr pulled the maps from his dpad and selected St. Denao as the target. It was only six minutes away. He then passed the device to Nien and asked him to deliver it to Kyvarr on the front seat. The look on the Sullustan's face was worth a million creds. "Do not worry. She will not eat you whole. There is no time for that. She might take a little bite, but you will live." A joke was not quite like him as Dohr Veen was not the most humorous of men, but he had to do his best to calm Nien down in order for them to be able to move out as quickly as possible.

"Ok people, here we go. Try to hold on to anything available. The ride will probably be a little rough."


OOC: I don't think it's nice to use rolls to affect other PC's and I know that the DM's wouldn't let me anyway, so I will not be making any Diplomacy or Intimidation rolls for Dohr as he tries to convince Kyvarr to take the shot. :) I'm just saying this so that you can all get a better picture of Dohr. His scores in both skills mentioned are fairly high and he is as a former professional soldier accustomed to giving orders (as well as receiving them). But to a non-soldier the order might sound a bit harsh.
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 37 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 09:59
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr growled but kept her tone civil.  "Look Doc, when we get to the hospital I'll submit myself to any treatment you want.  For now I need my wits and my reflexes.  That shot will dull them.  So the only way you'll get that shot in me is to pin me down.  Do you really want to try it?"  She bared her fangs in a predatory smile.

"If not, then get in.  We're gonna show those ambulance drivers how fast we can move patients."




OOC: Personally Dohr, I think people should make intimidate/diplomacy rolls, even for PC's.  It doesn't force the PC to do anything but it allows me to determine how convincing your intimidation/bluff/whatever was.  I mean if Dohr rolled a 30 on his intimidate, I'd post very differently to if he rolled a 10!  So please in the future I'd welcome any such rolls to aid my roleplaying.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 10:02, Fri 17 Jan 2014.

Dohr Veen
 player, 111 posts
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 10:22
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Shaking his head Dohr turned away saying nothing. He wasn't going to start arguing about medicine and how he knew better how the drug worked and how it would only act as a pain killer. Nyex wasn't the type of drug that would dull her mental senses or even the leg like an anasthesic would. But he wasn't her superior and never had been. Such insubordination would not have gone unpunished in the DDF, but now it made no sense to try and turn her head around.

Limping back to the back of the truck, Dohr paused and decided to say something anyway. This time his voice was a little tired or disappointed. "No. I do no wish to try it. Not now. But if you crash this truck due to a spike of agony, I'll be sure to remind you of this discussion." The doctor was more disappointed in himself for losing his temper like that. He couldn't blame Kyvarr, they didn't really know each other or where the other was coming from.


OOC: Good point. I'll do so next time, though I'm kind of hoping there won't be one. :D As for rolling a one, in Intimidation's case that'll certainly make a  difference and would be indeed useful as it would a fumble. Diplomacy… can't quite go that low, though 30 would certainly require a nearly perfect roll. ;)

Oh and you can call me Pekka or Raaveni (my username) :)

This message was last edited by the player at 11:45, Fri 17 Jan 2014.

Heigren
 PC, 215 posts
 Zeltron Male
 False ID: Vyn Teckla
Fri 17 Jan 2014
at 23:29
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Heigren watched the exchange with concern.  Though more for Kyvarr's pain then anything else.  He could feel it radiating off of her.

"Want me to take the injector?  I'm riding up front so if she gets bad I can give it to her and hope she doesn't kill me!"

He'll take the injector if offered, grabs Nein by the arm.  "Don't worry, I'm going to be sitting up front so I'll handle the navigation."

He pulls up the hospital Dohr listed on his datapad, then heads up front and slides in next to Kyvarr.

"We're going to St Denao.  Take the third right and then straight for a few kilometres."
Devon Kismet
 player, 677 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 00:05
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon quickly located the hospital they were headed for on the map on his data pad, leaned out the back of the truck and waved Flash and Fiarr over.

'That's the one we're headed for.' he told them as he handed the pad over.  'How about you guys take my datapad - it'll strap to your arm - and scout ahead?  make sure we ain't gonna hit trouble.   Hell, make sure the hospital is still standing! '
Fiarr Melan'nel
 player, 44 posts
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 01:32
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Fiarr considered.  "A good idea but I suggest we stick together.  Smaller groups make tempting prey for mobs.  A lone speeder truck makes for a prime target.  I say we take the risk and travel as a group.  Maybe have someone check the net to learn if the hospitals are open."

"Of course I'm not part of your group so will go with whatever you decide."

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 647 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 02:22
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash looked at the map then eyed Devon.  "If you want to do this I have a single condition.  You come with me, not Fiarr.  No offense to our new friend here but I don't know how she flies or fights.  You and I have flown countless missions together.  I know what you can and can't handle, your skill with a blaster and so on.  Her I don't."
Kyvarr 'Hammer' Dulvan
 Player, 38 posts
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 10:07
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Kyvarr quickly looked at the map, then jumped on the comm.

"Hammer here.  We're moving out.  Be sure to keep up."

She tossed the commlink to Heigren then shifted gears and took off quickly down the road, moving as fast as she could without causing the truck to bump around too much.  She was mindful of the injured passengers in the back.


OOC: Pilot 24
Devon Kismet
 player, 679 posts
 Talon 7
 ID: Rian Cloudrider
Sat 18 Jan 2014
at 23:24
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Devon grabbed onto the trucks door frame for balance as Kyvarr started it moving.  Just because he was inside didnt mean he couldnt fall OUT...
"Do what you think best" he called to Flash and Fiarr, then pointed to the datapad in Flashs hands. "And I want that back!  See you at the hospital!"

Slamming the door shut, Devon crouched next to Dohr.
"So what you need me to do, Doc?"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:31, Sat 18 Jan 2014.

Allen 'Flash'
 NPC, 648 posts
 Fake Name: Forim
 Security Chief
Sun 19 Jan 2014
at 22:02
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Flash watched as the truck began shooting off down the road.  He spun to Fiarr.  "I'll ride point fifty metres ahead, you come up the rear.  You got a comm?"

Flash will quickly program Fiarr's comm code (if she has one) into Tac channel 2.  Then he jumps on his bike and moves into position fifty metres ahead of the truck.  He had the route programmed into Devon's datapad which was strapped to his wrist.
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 163 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 20 Jan 2014
at 22:56
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
The way is treacherous due to fallen rubble and sinkholes in the roads.  The infrastructure has been trashed.  It's all repairable, of course, but the credit bill for it will be astronomical - if it ever gets paid.  Nonetheless the convoy (such as it is) moves along fairly well through the streets of Akari City.

<to Act 5.5.4>
Master Raiwaw
 GM, 179 posts
 Captain Raiwaw
 of the ISS Starflower
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 20:50
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Later on...

Arin and Mika emerge about a block from the hotel.  Debris litters the streets but it's lesser here and there are very few vehicles about - presumably the people in them found it safer to drive away (very quickly).  A downed law enforcement speeder nearby is a smoking ruin, its dead pilot lying not far away stripped of weapons and dignity.

Not far behind CC9 emerges in a light two-seat speeder.

As they emerge into the light their comms units fizz into life and they can hear Cor's voice.

"-- If Three has medical care then she is no longer a priority.  Your priority is the spaceport, and I do not say that purely because I happen to be sitting in the ship.  Do you believe you can safely recon the gangs around the spaceport to assess their strengths?  In your swoops, perhaps?"
Mika Trake
 player, 529 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:54
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Mika should have thought that the droid would be loadjacked.  She'd have to decide how to handle that.  She wasn't really loving the idea of people tracking her movements, regardless if their friend, foe or just nosy.  But for now, in the battlefield, it was probably a good idea.

As the comlink chatter continues, Mika looks confused.  "Hammer!  Who the hell is Hammer?  Think we should consider the comms compromised?"
B2-CC9
 Follower, 236 posts
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 21:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"I will communicate with my mistress."  Activating a private channel the droid, still in his speeder, falls silent for a few moments.  One of the benefits of being a droid with an internal commlink.
Arin Branden
 player, 414 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 22:51
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"M4-Five, show us the way to the spaceport through a route that is most effective, while making it easy for the others to join us", the officer said.  "Every minute we spend idling, Eleven is in grave danger and our way off the planet likewise."
M4-5
Mon 17 Feb 2014
at 22:57
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Yes, Master," the droid says immediately, zooming off to obey.
Mika Trake
 player, 530 posts
 Talon 10
 Shore leave Kimy Stell
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 13:43
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
Hearing Cor's communication, Mika looks over at Arin.  "Sounds like 11 fancies herself a general."  It's a stunted bit of levity, but with things they way they were, a little bit of levity helped Mika keep things in perspective.

"But the swoops have a pretty high ceiling.  Why should we punch through the gangs when we can easily sail over them?"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:44, Tue 18 Feb 2014.

Arin Branden
 player, 420 posts
 Talon 5
 Rathon Dann
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 21:09
Re: Act 5.5.3 - The Grand Hotel
"Eleven is our eyes and ears at the spaceport, so she knows more about what goes there than anyone else on the team. We'll figure out the situation, get to our ship in a way or another and then make a plan on the future action. We need to get Three out of here at some point, but it will require finding her first and prepping her for transport."