Innocence Lost.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 118 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sat 11 Feb 2006
at 23:28
Round 6
The screeching stops as your sword stabs into the creature, whatever allowed it to make the noise irrevocably damaged.  So disgusted by the thick ichor clinging to your sword you fail to fend off the spider whose jaws clear your shield and clamp around your neck.  Somehow you rip yourself free before the jaws could close extinguishing your life.  The burning poison is alreay flowing into your body however and an involuntary shiver sweeps over you.

6hp damage on a critical hit.  Roll a fort save DC 12.  If failed you take an additional 3 STR damage before making your action this round.

17:24, Today: Dungeon Master rolled 3 using 1d4. Initial Poison Damage.
17:23, Today: Dungeon Master rolled 6 using 2d6. Critical Damage.
17:22, Today: Dungeon Master rolled 24 using 1d20+4. Confirm Critical.
17:21, Today: Dungeon Master rolled 24 using 1d20+4. Round 5 Spider Attack.

Arlos
 player, 34 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Sun 12 Feb 2006
at 02:03
Re: Round 6
I refuse to die this way, Arlos says to himself, clinging to the last thread of consciousness as he feebly swings his sword.  His hit strikes true, but in his feeble condition he barely scratches the beast who is doing him in.


21:00, Today: Secret Roll: Arlos rolled 2 using 1d10. Spider fall down go boom?.
20:59, Today: Secret Roll: Arlos rolled 20 using 1d20+2. One... last... swing..
20:59, Today: Secret Roll: Arlos rolled 18 using 1d20. Goodbye, Cruel Woyeld.

1 HP left...  Better start reading up on druids :)

Dungeon Master
 GM, 119 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sun 12 Feb 2006
at 02:31
Round 7
The spider rears back on six of its legs and waves the other two around you hoping to distract you enough to deal a killing blow with its jaws.  Through sheer will alone you fend off its attacks.

By my count you've taken 9hp in physical damage and 7 points of STR damage.  That leaves you at 4hp and 10 STR.  Let me know if that's not correct.
Arlos
 player, 35 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Mon 13 Feb 2006
at 15:19
Re: Round 7
Arlos swings with all his might at the giant arachnid only to watch in shock and dismay as his sword slips from his weakend hand and clatters down the rocks mid-swing.  Panic stricken he immediately turns and tries to clamber down the rocks to recover his weapon or escape.


10:08, Today: Secret Roll: Arlos rolled 3 using 1d20+2. One... more... last... swing..

Sigh.  Not the best time for a Natural 1.

Yes, I know I am allowing for an AoO, but what else would you have me do?  Lay down and pour ketchup all over myself?

And I think I see where I made the error on my HP.  I thought the post previous said I sustained an additional 3 hp and then the 6 hp crit damage as the spider was crushing my wind pipe in it's mandibles.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 122 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 13 Feb 2006
at 15:28
Round 8
I don't use the fumble rule.  A natural one only means an automatic failure even if your mods would indicate a success.  So since your weapon is still in your hand, do you still want to flee and incur the extra attack?
Arlos
 player, 36 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Mon 13 Feb 2006
at 15:40
Re: Round 8
Oh, OK.  Here's my revised narative, then.

Arlos curses aloud as the sword gouges a rock due to his missed swing.  The vibrations from the hit make his hands and arms tingle as he draws back for another strike.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 123 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 13 Feb 2006
at 16:22
Round 8
Your shield seems as if it were growing heavier by the second as the spider's venom coursed through your body.  Your life depended on keeping it held high though and once again the spider's jaws scraped and clanged against it as it tried to once again inject you with its poison.

10:19, Today: Dungeon Master rolled 6 using 1d20+4. Round 7 Spider Attack.

Heh, a 2 is not much better!   ;0)

Arlos
 player, 37 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Mon 13 Feb 2006
at 17:03
Re: Round 8
Arlos bellows in rage and frustration, bringing his bastard sword over his head and crashing down on the spider's.  His repulsion over the ichor is replaced by the satisfaction of the good hit, but he quickly pulls free to ready for another strike.


Putting the druid character sheet back in the notebook...

12:00, Today: Secret Roll: Arlos rolled 6 using 1d10.
12:00, Today: Secret Roll: Arlos rolled 20 using 1d20+2. Die, Damn you!.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 124 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 13 Feb 2006
at 17:11
Victory!
The spider thrashes its front legs at you but it's motions are erratic.  Unguided but still powerful the death throes of the spider knock you to the ground twisting one of your weakened ankles in the process.  Thinking you would die in moments it was the spider instead who suddenly ceased moving.  It's eight spined legs curled up around its body turning it into a ball that rolled several feet down the slope before coming to a rest against a large boulder.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 17:12, Mon 13 Feb 2006.

Arlos
 player, 38 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Mon 13 Feb 2006
at 18:00
Re: Victory!
Arlos turns to look down the slope to the spider.  He scrambles to his knees with his sword pointed out in front of him, waiting on further movement by the spider.  He cocks his head and squints at the beast, as though this new perspective will allow him to discern signs of life that he could not otherwise.

Finally, he convinces himself the spider is dead.  With a satisfied nod of his exhausted head and a unwarranted cocky smile, Arlos brings himself to his feet only to wince in pain and drop back to his knees as soon as he puts any amount of weight on his ankle.  Glad that nobody saw him, Arlos sits on the ground, gently rubbing his tender, swollen ankle.

As he sits and looks at his kill, he begins to wonder if spiders hunt alone or in groups.  Suddenly unsure of his surroundings, he looks about for a fallen or at least a low hanging branch that may be used as a crutch or a cane.

Assuming he finds or cuts one...

Arlos stands beside the tree, looking in the general direction that he was heading and looks for signs of this camp he is supposed to find.

13:00, Today: Arlos rolled 12 using 1d20-1. Spot Check.


BTW:  Since you cut me off from being able to view any of the rest of the game, how much XP did I receive and where does that put my total so far?

Dungeon Master
 GM, 125 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 13 Feb 2006
at 19:55
Where to Go, What to Do
Weakened and battered you take stock of your situation.  The grassy hills and the easily followed trail are in sight behind you while up ahead, an unhknown distance through the rocky terrain, the faint plume of smoke from an unknown source rises into the air.

My apologies, I didn't realize you couldn't see the general threads, I thought you'd only be blocked from the other group's thread.  I think I've fixed it now.  Let me know if you can't see the OOC thread and such.
Arlos
 player, 39 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Mon 13 Feb 2006
at 22:25
Re: Where to Go, What to Do
With resolve, Arlos hobbles his way toward the smoke.  He holds his sword in one hand and his walking aid in another as he progresses through the rocky terrain, watchful for other attacks as well as loose footing.

That fixed it, thanks :) 
Dungeon Master
 GM, 126 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 14 Feb 2006
at 00:15
Fulgar's Encampment
The going was slow, painful and exhausting.  The spider's venom had taken its toll to be sure but after several hours you round a large rock formation and see the fire of Fulgar's camp.

The camp was built into a rocky hollow of the mountainside.  On three sides of the camp cliffs rose 40 feet into the air providing the camp protection from the harsher elements.  Along the back cliff was the largest of the structures in camp.  A giant black tent had been constructed against the wall such that the roof sloped in a single uniform direction from high upon the cliff face where it was attached toward the middle of the camp where it was tethered to a series of three large pine trees.  Another tent, crimson in color had been erected in front of and to the right of the black one.  To the right of that was a large tangle of vegetation which upon further inspection appeared to be plants specially manipulated into a shelter of some sort.  A stone structure had already been constructed in the left of the clearing with a single iron-banded door permitting access.  In the middle of it all a blazing fire burned from a small pile of logs in a firepit.  There were no signs of anyone about camp but as you took a step into the hollow a hawk swooped from the sky, flared its wings and landed directly in front of you but when its talons touched the ground it was no longer a hawk but a beautiful fire-red haired maiden.  "That is quite far enough.  State the reason for your intrusion here."
Arlos
 player, 40 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Tue 14 Feb 2006
at 01:48
Re: Fulgar's Encampment
Exhausted and in pain from his fight, his injuries and his long, tedious walk, Arlos nearly collapses at the woman's voice.

I am...  in need...   of...   assistance... he forces out before his arms finally succumb and can no longer hold his body upright.  He falls to the ground: conscious but giving weighty consideration to taking a nap right there on the dirt.
Willow
 NPC, 1 post
 Beautiful Druid
 'Tigress of Fire'
Tue 14 Feb 2006
at 03:45
Scorn
Her red hair fluttered in a breeze you could not feel.  "You do not respect the land in which you travel and it has nearly cost you your life.  You go where you should not and have gaul to ask me for assistance?  Go back to your town where together the lot of you hold at bay the force of nature, a force so superior you deign to acknowledge the fact."  The woman laughed at your pitiful state though her stunning beauty blinded you to her scorn.  "The spider that nearly took your life is but one of the smallest in the surrounding hills, you are lucky to have only stumbled into its web.  Oh yes, I was gliding far above watching everything.  There is no assistance to be had here, go back to your precious civilization and find it there."
Arlos
 player, 41 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Tue 14 Feb 2006
at 15:16
Re: Scorn
Then you will please excuse me while I lay here and bleed on your ground.  I shall leave when I have the strength to do so Arlos says, laying his head back and closing his eyes.  I would have though one hiring swords to be more hospitable to those who would apply he mutters under his breath.


Having low wisdom probably means he is not the best at knowing tact or when to keep his mouth shut :)

Willow
 NPC, 1 post
 Beautiful Druid
 'Tigress of Fire'
Fri 3 Mar 2006
at 02:18
A Warning
The woman let loose with a melodious laugh of a thousand birds' songs.  "Truly, you arrive here near death and begging for aid after a short walk in the wilderness and want to us to pay for your sword?"  The woman was near hysterical with laughter "What do you propose we hire you to do?  Throw yourself down on the ground and grovel for the ogres to cease their attacks?"

"We have no interest in anyone that comes here needing our help.  If you wish to lie here as so much scavengable meat so be it.  Do not enter our camp or your life will be forfeit.  Fulgar gives no quarter to trespassers and your death will come swiftly."  Oddly you felt as if her words were not a threat but a statement of fact.  Turning on her heel she walked away and disappeared into the thicket of plants leaving you to your own devices.

This message was last updated by the player at 02:18, Fri 03 Mar 2006.

Arlos
 player, 42 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Tue 14 Feb 2006
at 17:55
Re: A Warning
Arlos opens one eye and watches her go for a moment before grumbling to himself as he gets back to his feet and begins to walk back toward the town.  Stupid druids...  pompous, elitist, stuck up...  got a whole aspen tree stuck up their....  As he nears the boulder where he turns back to the path he turns and shouts with his fist in the air Doesn't Selune value ALL life and not just that of the animals in the woods?  You HYPOCRITE!

He stands for a moment to listen to his words echo off the rock face behind the camp before turning away again mumbling and hobbling his way back.  ...climb up there and drop a boulder on her tent...  stupids druids...
Dungeon Master
 GM, 130 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 14 Feb 2006
at 18:18
Back to Rosewood
After venting your frustration you turn and head back to town dreading the walk.  Above you a pair of hawks glide on the thermals screeching every now and again.

The sun was low in the sky by the time you reached the town.  Thankfully the return trip had been less eventful than the trip out.  The trail led into town and past the smithy where the rythmic clanging of a hammer on steel could be heard.
Arlos
 player, 43 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Tue 14 Feb 2006
at 18:47
Re: Back to Rosewood
Arlos returns to the inn and pays for another night's rest then climbs the stairs and sleeps like the dead.  The next morning, Arlos pulls himself out of bed and checks the tenderness of his ankle before walking downstairs to inquire about his good friend, Bud.

What are the healing rules again?  So many HP for so many hours plus your con bonus or something like that?

So, have I sufficiently screwed up your story line yet? :)

Dungeon Master
 GM, 131 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 14 Feb 2006
at 20:41
Re: Back to Rosewood
8 hours of rest heals 1hp per level of both physical and ability damage.  A full day of complete rest heals double that amount.  That's a long recovery time without some kind of divine healing...

The moment you decided to ignore the game introduction as your reason for being in Rosewood my stroyline was messed up.  No worries, there are many things happening in Rosewood and the characters will always have a choice as to what they do or don't do.  Fulgar's Five will not be very hospitable toward you (obviously) but there is more than one way to get from point A to point B and nothing is really screwed up at all, it may just be a little longer before you meet up with the others.


Trying to figure out why on Toril you had decided to come to Rosewood in the first place you head downstairs to find Jebodiah dutifully polishing glasses behind the bar.  "Good morning to ye!" he greeted you as cheerful as ever.  "A hot breakfast perhaps?"
Arlos
 player, 44 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Tue 14 Feb 2006
at 23:03
Re: Back to Rosewood
Breakfast sounds good.  So, Fulgar's camp was a bust.  What news do you hear around Rosewood?  Anyone looking to hire a sword or...  anything?


I didn't ignore it.  I forgot it!!! 8P
Dungeon Master
 GM, 136 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 15 Feb 2006
at 21:14
Re: Back to Rosewood
A hot breakfast of eggs, bacon and fried potatoes is quickly served to you.  "So ye are a sellsword eh?  Truth be told there's none here in town hiring such, but merchant shipments leaving here will sometimes hire an extra escort.  [Private to Arlos: You can exercise this option if you wish to leave the game.  No hard feelings, not every game is for every player.]  Ever since Edwin passed it hasn't been safe anywhere outside of town.  That's why we've such great hope for Fulgar's Five."

"Welcome ye in to the Red Rose Inn, where the ale is cold and the soul is bold!" Jebodiah said in greeting along with the three other patrons enjoying a hot breakfast even before the door had come completely open.  You recognize the man who enters as one of the men who had left to take a leak during your game several nights back and never returned.

"Ye look to be in rough shape lad.  A couple days rest might be best lest ye've got a coin or two for the temple of Lathander across town." Jebodiah says turning his attention back to you with a concerned eye.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:30, Thu 16 Feb 2006.

Arlos
 player, 45 posts
 Young, dumb and full of..
 ..the spirit of adventure
Fri 17 Feb 2006
at 15:22
Re: Back to Rosewood
OOC:

So, are you, like, kicking me out?  Can't I have another chance to do it right (and not forget)?
Dungeon Master
 GM, 139 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 17 Feb 2006
at 17:52
OOC
I'm not kicking you out!  I'm giving you the option of leaving with no hard feelings.  I've gotten the sense you're not really enjoying this game by your short posts and willingness to give up on your character so easily.  I figured it would be difficult for you to quit since we've been gaming together so long so I made the offer.

I'm not really sure how you forget something that is the whole premise of the game, that would be like forgetting that Kendra was supposed to be attending Ladlo's school or something.  But if you say you forgot you forgot.

There are MANY things you can do and discover in the town, all of them will tie in to the main plot line at different points and give you the opportunity to join the main group.  These will require a lot of initiative on your part since they will be running parallel to the structure of the main storyline.  This adventure is NOT a series of stand alone adventures, but a campaign of intermeshed plotlines, motivations, alliances, and subterfuge.  AS such it's hard to just plug you in.

If you want to bow out I totally understand.  If you want to put the extra effort in you have several options right now.  You are near death and have been told several times of a cleric in town.  Bud appears to have drugged you and at least one other person.  The town has numerous NPCs such as the Smith, the dry goods store owner, the afore mentioned cleric, the mayor,etc.  Each of them if approached correctly will offer some interesting plot bits.

It's up to you what you want to do, I'm merely giving you the option to quit without any hard feelings.  If you'd like to continue let's continue but you have to understand that yuor experience will be different.  OOC you know that Fulgar's Five alluded to having chosen each of the charcters specifically which made it impossible then for them to accept a straggler.  I will point out that you have already been given much information that would prove quitevaluable in the future.  Remember, this game is a giant puzzle leading to the climatic last piece.

So what will it be?