Band of Goblins.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 102 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Wed 29 Mar 2006
at 14:41
Re: RED ROSE INN
Darwin also nodded in agreement with the proposed course of action. "Serol, I agree that we should Fulgar and the others about what we are doing on our way to the mines," he said. "It's possible that Eloranth or some of the others know more about the mine and the sealed dragon as well.  They might be able to tell us more about what we will face or provide us with assistance and guidance."

With that, Darwin looked for a place to lie down. "I need to get some rest so that I can get up early and study before we leave," he said. "I'll see you all in the morning."

[Private to Dungeon Master: When he studies in the a.m., Darwin also will spend some time examining the shell Eloranth gave him.  Spellcraft check, I suppose?]
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 120 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Wed 29 Mar 2006
at 20:26
Re: RED ROSE INN
Dorn was satisfied with the decision that the guardians had made. "Ye just remember. We donna have to take on da dragon. We just need ta make sure that the wards are still in place and that none disturb them."

The dwarf claimed the bed that was closest to the door and settled down for the night.
Serol Kinspar
 player, 129 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Wed 29 Mar 2006
at 21:27
Re: RED ROSE INN
Serol had no desire to throw his life away.  Fighting a dragon would be exactly that.  He intended to verify the wards, stop the adventurers and alert Fulgar.  Those three courses of action should be enough.  Hopefully it was all just unnecessary precautions, but he could not wear the title 'Guardian of Rosewood' without taking those precautions.

The beds were quickly filling up.  Serol had no real desire to share a bed with a dwarf, however much he might like Dorn bunking with a dwarf was sure to be an... adventure all its own.

"I will get my bedroll and blanket from Vael.  There are some things I would like to discuss with the Innkeep before I turn in as well. the rumble in his stomach reminded him he had nothing to eat since breakfast.

"Peter, you're welcome to share the bed with Darwin.  Antoine, you're free to your own room, if none other object." He doubted anyone would, but it was hardly his place to make such demands of his fellows.  Still speaking to the scholar, since it was clear both Darwin and Dorn might well be on their way to sleep before he returned.

"I would also appreciate your help removing my armor, if you don't mind." the armor was fine and he treasured it, but sleeping in it would be uncomfortable to say the least.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 204 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 29 Mar 2006
at 22:09
An End is Also a Beginning
After an early dinner and some sharing of tales the Guardians took to their beds early for the morrow would be a busy day.

Please add anything you wish to the end of this day then jump over to the new thread:  link to a message in "3.5 DnD - Guardians of Rosewood"

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:10, Wed 29 Mar 2006.

Serol Kinspar
 player, 132 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Thu 30 Mar 2006
at 23:13
Re: An End is Also a Beginning
Serol nodded to Peter as he agreed and opened the door intent to retreive his bedroll from Vael.  There was also the matter of the blacksmith.  He doubted he would have a spiked chain better than his own, but now that he had some extra coin in his pocket it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

The stairs groaned, partially because of the old wood, and no little amount due to the weight of the large man in full platemail armor.  He could not have surprised anyone in his arival.  When he stepped into the commonroom, as he suspected, every eye was turned to see who could be coming down.  Some did a better job than others about hiding it, however.

Serol nodded to all, it was still late afternoon and the commonroom was even busier now than he had left it a few minutes ago when the Guardians had gone upstairs for some privacy.

Without much hessitation he took the quick turn that lead to the yard from the common room.  It wasn't that he would have minded walking the room but waitresses had enough to do without worrying about the mountian of a man taking up the only walkway between the tables.

Once outside, the crisp air and silence instantly brought his mind into focus.  He didn't know how one could concentrate on anything in such an enviornment.  Serol walked the stone walkway between inn and stable yard with a smile.  It was late afternoon and he felt as if a giant weight had been lifted from his shoulders.

All day he had feared for his friends stumbling into the waiting clutches of Velsharoon.  It was now clear that would not be an immediate worry.  It would need to be investigated, but such a thing could wait.  Necromancers were much more interested in their studies and tended to leave the living alone.  There were those few who sought to conqure the world he supposed, but the world would be there tomorrow he thought with a smile.  If not, he would be with the god he loved so much soon.

He hoped the Dwarf did not take the late afternoons off from his craft, as he made his way in the direction of the smithy.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 205 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 04:48
Re: An End is Also a Beginning
It was only a short walk until the rythmic pinging of Goldy Firehammer's hammer caught your ear.  The dwarf was still at work, if you would call one's passion 'work', and your fears of being too late were put to rest.  Not surprisingly the smithy was a sturdy building constructed entirely of stone save for the roof which was earth and sod.  A keystone above the large arched doorway was chiseled with the word 'Firehammer'.  At the other end of the one-roomed building was the forge and a dwarf with his back to you hammering out a piece of metal on one of four anvils in the shop.  A brass bell with a length of rope attached to the ball to ring it hung in the doorway.
Serol Kinspar
 player, 134 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 20:15
Re: An End is Also a Beginning
Serol enjoyed the heat that washed over him as he stepped inside the forge.  He found he had a lot in common with the blacksmith's of the world.  While they concentrated on using the heat of the fire to purge the impurites from the metal They would take raw material and with skill, strength and fire, turn it into something functional and beautiful.  So too did, he.  But his materials were men and faith while the blacksmith dealt with metal and ore.

By the time the cleric's hand went to the rope he already wore a smile upon his face.  In an instant he pulled on the rope in three quick successions sending three crisp rings of the bell competeing for the attention of the smith already wrapped in the concentration of his rythmic hammer strokes.
Goldy Firehammer
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 20:27
Firehammer Smithy
The hammer rang one last time before the dwarf turned to look at you. Sweat beaded on his forehead and wet the hair of his head, beard and moustache.  "Well 'ello there.  By the looks of ye, ye must be Serol, the last of the new Guardians.  It's a pleasure to be meetin' ye."  An appaising eye swept over the towering human.  "By the lokos o' that armor I don't be thinkin' ye be wantin' anything from me, maybe a new weapon?"
Serol Kinspar
 player, 136 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 20:55
Re: Firehammer Smithy
Serol bowed his head to the Dwarf's surmise of whom he was in the most repectful way.  It was a simple gesture from someone who appreciated the life choices of the other.

"The pleasure is mine, Master Firehammer.  I am indeed Serol Kinspar, Burning Brazier of the Firelord Kossuth and Guardian of Rosewood." he smirked a knowing smile at the Dwarf's comments about his armor and smiled earnestly.

"It is indeed a finely crafted piece of armor, Master Firehammer.  One that I will endevor to be worthy of for quite some time, I suspect.  But you are correct in my reason for being here."

He reached into his leather pouch and retreived his chain setting it on the counter.  "The Lord of Flames has a fondness for the spiked chain.  I have spent many an hour trying to master this versitile weapon.  But I'm afraid it doesn't have the popularity of either sword nor axe.  I have seen your craft and came on the hopes that you might share such a love for the exotic challange of such a weapon as you do with more traditional arms.  It would be a great honor to fight with a weapon crafted by a dwarven master."
Goldy Firehammer
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 22:05
Re: Firehammer Smithy
Goldy picked up the heavy links with stubby and calluosed fingers.  Examining the welded links his brows knitted together with distaste.  "This don't be fittin' someone as skilled as I heard ye to be.  Ye certainly must be able to get the most out o' it."

Goldy stepped back and struck out with the chain as one would swing an axe.  It was an awkward looking manuever that did nothing other than cut open the dwarf's own arm with one of the spikes.  "I'd be preferrin' an axe myself, but if this works fer ye.  Nay, the Firelord isn't too popular in these parts and while I've heard of such a weapon I've never seen one before, much less crafted one.  It's a simple enough design, I'm sure I could make ye one better than this one aye but it wouldn't be ready fer a couple weeks"  Goldy handed the weapon back to Serol and wiped teh blood from his arm though more replaced it just as fast.  "I won't be needin' a deposit or anythin', ye bein' a guardian and all.  If nothin' else I wouldn't mind tryin' somethin' new even if them links would be gettin' a little tedious."
Serol Kinspar
 player, 138 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 22:37
Re: Firehammer Smithy
Serol winced at the dwarf's techique.  It was a common mistake to flick the chain instead of thrust.  Doing so would cause the spiked chain to bite into your own arm.

In truth, the chain was as difficult to master as it was deadly in combat.  It had speed, range and versitility.  Not to mention the fact that few foes were used to dealing with someone who could wield one effectivly.

It had taken Serol years of training and many injuries far worse than the dwarf had suffered just to achieve his own level of proficency with the weapon.  He practiced every morning with the weapon learning to control the weapon as it would be.  The chain was fluid and could not be forced.  Instead it was simply an effort to guide the chain where you wished it to be while supplying the power behind the stroke.

Serol reached out his hand instinctivly as Goldy wiped the blood from his arm.  He hesitated however, before his arm touched the dwarf.  He cleared his throat and said almost sheepishly at his reaction, "If you would allow it master Firehammer, I would be honored to see to your wound.  I know it is just a scratch and Dwarves are rarely phased by such minor inconviencences.  But should you allow me it would be but a distant memory." He himself had several long scars on his forearms reminders of what the consiquences of his weapon might be if he forgot his rigorous training and dicipline.

Assuming Goldy lets me, he'll swap out a level 0 spell for a cure minor.  Should be more than enough to heal the scratch.  The healing energy will be warm at first growing hotter as the power of the Firelord heals the wound at Serol's guidance.  It is uncomfortable at the end, but not painful.  (Just the way I immagined healing from Kossuth)

Regardless if he heals Goldy or not he'll continue:


"As I have already said, I would consider it an honor to fight Rosewood and Kossuth with a weapon made by your hand.  You have my complete faith in your talents, Master Firehammer."
Goldy Firehammer
Sat 1 Apr 2006
at 02:22
Re: Firehammer Smithy
"Nay lad, yours is a fine offer but I'd rather Moradin saw to his own."  It was then that you caught a brief glimpse of a holy medallion hanging around Goldy's neck beneath his smithing apron.  "I've got a fair number of items on order aye but I should be able to get yer chain started before the next ride.  Is there anything else I can help ye with?"
Serol Kinspar
 player, 139 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Sat 1 Apr 2006
at 02:37
Re: Firehammer Smithy
Serol shakes his head understanding of the Dwarf's wish for him not to heal the wound.  "No, Master Firehammer.  You have my thanks, in advance, for the time and effort spent crafting such a weapon for me." with that the cleric bowed his head once more respectfully.

Just before he turned to leave he said, "May the Firelord, forever bless the Hearth of your home, Goldy Firehammer." Then Serol once more ducked into the quickly darkening street.

He had only a few things he had yet to see to.  The next stop would be to see to Vael.  He walked in the direction of the Inn once more.  Nodding to the stable boy he approached his horse and gave him an affectinate stroke on his nose.

"See that you take extra special care of Vael here." his tone was friendly but nothing about his demenior seemed to suggest he was joking.  He truely did expect exceptional care for his animal.

He whispered some reassuring words in the horse's ear then he went in search of the stableboy.  His horse was not saddled and had already been brushed and a blanket had been draped about his body.  The boy was doing a fine job already.

It took only a few moments for the stableboy to show Serol to his saddlebags.  He recognized them on sight of course, but he would not approach them without the boy.  Young as he was, this was still his domain and Serol would respect that.  He knew if something should come up missing from the stable it would be the boy's fault.  Thus it was only fair Serol allowed him the control he required.

With a little bit of effort the cleric had loosened the straps holding his blanket and bedroll.  He tucked them under his arm and exited the stable across the yard and into the same door he had left from.

The Innkeeper was hard to miss and looked quite busy already.  Still Serol had something he wished to discuss with him, before he considered his day's business settled.
Jebodiah
Sat 1 Apr 2006
at 02:56
Red Rose Inn
The side door to the inn swung open easily enough, too easy in fact for it opened right into the serving tray of one of the barmaids.  Two mugs of ale flipped backwards toward the startled woman and emptied their contents down her low-cut neckline.  A roar of approval for the soaked clothing from the patrons nearby drew the attention of Jebodiah who quickly ushered the barmaid away to find a fresh set of clothes.  A moment later he returned.

"Don't worry about that lad," he said as if reading the cleric's mind, "moving that door someplace less troublesome is high up on my list of renovations if I ever come into a bit of money."  The smile was warm and genuine.  "Have ye come for an ale?"

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 02:57, Sat 01 Apr 2006.

Serol Kinspar
 player, 140 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Sat 1 Apr 2006
at 12:27
Re: Red Rose Inn
Serol looked truely abashed as he witnessed what result his actions had caused.  There was no real harm done, of course, but it was hardly an event that made you feel good about what you had caused.  The quick reassurances of Jebodiah did little to make him feel better, but the act was appreciated.

"No sir.  I do not drink.  The flame that tastes alcholol burns itself out with amazing speed and vigor." That was the official explination on Kossuth's frowing of his Cleric's to imbibe.  The truth, Serol knew, was much more likely the fact that he and his fellow clerics shared a temper.  He had never met a cleric of the Firelord who did not.  Wisdom and dicipline was the buffer Serol had put around his temper, but with a few drinks in him those buffers would disappear.  A cleric of Kossuth drunk and angry would do poorly to reflect the teachings of the Lord of Flames.

He does lean closer casting a glance over his shoulder at the table where the adventurers sat earlier.  He dropped his voice to carry as far as the innkeep but quickly loose itself in the rising din of the quickly filling inn.  "I do have a small request for you, Jebodiah, as you are one of the few men whom will have both knowledge of the event and has my trust." he paused a moment, not looking in the direction of the tables again.

"Our adventuring friends over there," he did not need to explain the men further or so he hoped, "are a minor concern at the moment.  If they are to leave, I need to know when.  Should they take off in the middle of the night, please tell me in the morning.  If they should leave after the sun has risen, find me as soon as you can get away.  I will be awake that early."

He paused a moment knowing what he asked was likely to be against the liking of most innkeeps.  To spy on one customer for another was not something many did, only the disreputable.  He had no intention of suggesting Jebodiah was one of those men.  He just hoped he would take such a request from one of the Guardians as someone asking him, to help himself.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 210 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sat 1 Apr 2006
at 21:24
Re: Red Rose Inn
Jebodiah arched an eyebrow at Serol's request.  Indeed it was a simple enough task, but one which he did not care for in the least.  "I'm glad you trust me but I'm no spy.  What they do is their business, and their business alone as long as they're paying what they owe and not causing trouble.  Now I appreciate what you all are doing for our town but I'll offer you a little advice.  The folks of Rosewood don't take too kindly to anyone prying into their lives or watching over their shoulder.  You can ask Horrace about that if you want, he hasn't earned himself any friends for being so nosy."

Jebodiah was still the friendly, caring man he always was but spying was not something he was going to do, no mater who it was for.  The innkeep clapped your shoulder with his hand and offered an apologetic look before turning back tothe bar.  Suddenly he paused and turned around "Horrace will be able to tell you when they leave."  Jebodiah was clearly displeased with himself for encouraging such behavior but it was clear he wanted to help in some.
Serol Kinspar
 player, 141 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Sat 1 Apr 2006
at 22:41
Re: Red Rose Inn
Serol nodded his head at the Innkeeper's refusal.  It was not entirely unexpected.  He could not divulge the dragon of course, Dorn had already risked much in telling them what he knew.  He shook his head slightly as the realization hit him, "We now have the monumental task of helping those, who may not appreciate being helped.  Or at least the way we must go about doing it." He had hoped for some silent understanding, a fact that he would not have asked were it not an important matter.

He knew dwelling on the thought would only cause his temper to flair.  So instead he simply nodded his gratitude to the innkeep.  It would seem he had more yet to do this night afterall.

It had only been perhaps half an hour since he had left his room, but it was quite possible that Dorn and Darwin, whom had already looked like they might be going to sleep right away, were now dreaming within their shared room.  He considered dropping off his blanket and bedroll in the room then going to see the halfling, but he didn't want to wake them, let alone more than once.

"I understand, Jebodiah." is all the cleric said trying to keep the anger and frustration from his voice.  He knew his comings and goings were already being noticed by people.  He disliked giving them more reason to be sucpicious of he or his fellow guardians.  Yet if these people would not help in their town's defense in what ever way they could, he supposed he had little choice.

He exited the same door he had come in only a few minutes ago, and back into the yard.  Fortunatly, Rosewood was not that large a town, he could make it to the Halfling's shop before he closed up for the evening.  At least, he hoped so.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 211 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sun 2 Apr 2006
at 01:54
The General Store
Despite, and perhaps because of, the late hour Horrace was on the front porch of his store sweeping away dust that wasn't there.  His eyes were upon you before yours upon him and when your gazes met he smiled and waved.  It was Horrace who had the first words.  "Greetings Master Kinspar, if you have come regarding your message I have good news.  I have procured a faster transmission for you and your message has likely arrived already."  The hin smiled broadly as he was quite proud of himself.  "Should you have any more important messages or information to relay I would gladly serve in that capacity, with the utmost secrecy of course sir."
Serol Kinspar
 player, 142 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Sun 2 Apr 2006
at 02:33
Re: The General Store
For the first time today, Serol was truely surprised in a most welcome way.  It almost caused him to forget exactly why it was he had approached the hin in the first place.  " I have to admit, Master Horrace, that is perhaps the best news I've had today." The halfling might become a most welcome source of information.

Serol continued walking while they conversed.  Soon he was standing at the edge of the porch able to regard the storekeep in a much more personal way.  "You knew my name before I gave it.  From what I understand it was the same for both Peter and Darwin.  How you knew it is not my concern.  However, I have need of one who could garner such information as quickly and quietly as you have proved able to do."

He paused a moment then asked, "Am I in the wrong place for such a service?" He had tried to appeal to Jebodiah's decency, he would now appeal to the halfling's injinuity.
Horrace
Sun 2 Apr 2006
at 03:13
Re: The General Store
"Oh no, you most certainly are not!"  Horrace hushed his voice as his eyes darted around to make sure nobody could hear.  "There aren't many secrets I don't know, and fewer I couldn't find out.  Everybody needs something from my store."  he offered in way of explanation.  "What is it you'd like to know?"
Serol Kinspar
 player, 143 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Sun 2 Apr 2006
at 12:36
Re: The General Store
"There's a group of adventureres staying at the Red Rose." he said matter of factly.  In a town this small he was sure everyone knew of whom he spoke.  Two groups of adventurers in the town at once, this was surely on every child and gossip's lips.

"I wish to know all you can tell me about them.  Especially what brought them to Rosewood and where they seek to go when they leave." Antoine had only heard a small portion of the conversation, it was still possible that they would have nothing to do with the mine.  Dragons were hardly uncommon in the Western Heartlands, Serol had even heard tales of a forest that were almost completely consumed by Greens.

"Additionally, it is important I know when they leave." That would be more than enough information, he hoped.

He lowered his voice slightly and said, "I ask you this, because it is important.  But do not be foolish with your life.  I am a guardian of Rosewood and I will not have you risk your neck unnecessarilly.  What ever information you can safely bring will be appreciated, and you will be compensated as you see fair." the subject of compenstion was a difficult one.  He did not want to insult the halfling either way, by assuming he was a snitch for hire or by assuming he would do this dangerous work for free.  He thought it best to leave the subject of comensation in his hands.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:37, Sun 02 Apr 2006.

Horrace
Sun 2 Apr 2006
at 20:03
Re: The General Store
The halfling's tongue flicked across his lips subconsciously at the mention of 'comensation'.  "Which group of adventurers Master Kinspar?  The group who arrived with the caravan this afternoon?  The ones from Iriaebor who are hunting goblins to the east?  Or maybe the group recovering from that nasty run-in with a pair of Giants?"

"Ah, you said you needed to know when they leave, so then it's either that group from Waterdeep or the elvish party hunting the goblins.  In either case it shouldn't be a problem Master Kinspar.  I should have the information for you by tomorrow evening, there's no sense in discussing the compensation until then is there?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:20, Mon 03 Apr 2006.

Serol Kinspar
 player, 144 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Sun 2 Apr 2006
at 20:42
Re: The General Store
Serol was more than a little surprised to find out there were more than one additonal adventuring groups in the small way-point of Rosewood.  The cleric was hessitant to give the little halfling, whom had already shown an impressive ability to garner more information, a hint of exactly why he wanted the group watched.

That meant that both mention of the map and most certianly the dragon, were out.  Given his current situation, he did his best to explain to the hin which group he was interested in.

"I trust that our dealing in this venture will remain as confidential as our last." he said when he had discribed the group as best he could.  He hoped that should the adventuring group leave tomorrow morning, Horrace would move his time table to a more appropriate one.  Else tomorrow evening should be fine.  Who knows what a clever halfling could learn in that amount of time.
Horrace
Mon 3 Apr 2006
at 02:24
Re: The General Store
"Oh I assure you Master Kinspar, you will find your dealings with me most confidential."  The hin's eyes were wide and appraising as he spoke to you, as if measuring your worthiness of such a confidence.  "Enjoy your stay at the inn tonight, and do try the fried rutabagas, they are a personal favorite of mine." It never ceased to amaze you how quickly Horrace came by information.
Serol Kinspar
 player, 146 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Mon 3 Apr 2006
at 10:16
Re: The General Store
Serol nodded his head firmly.  He hoped he had found an ally in Rosewood tonight.  One who's actions might aid the guardians in protecting the town.  It was strange that with all the upstanding citizens who refused to be as helpful as the cleric might have wished, it was one who was already on the outside of the town's trust that might aid them the most.

"A pleasant evening to you, Horrace.  May the Lord of Flames forever bless the hearth of your home."

Serol turned and walked back to the inn. His stomache growled, reminding him once more he had nothing to eat since this morning.  Perhaps some fried rutabagas would fit that bill rather nicely.