A Hidden Peril.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 156 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Sat 6 May 2006
at 04:50
Re: Reporting Back
When Herman pulled off the morninglord's medallion, dwarf was held fast in surprise. He didn't expect this. "Now...just.."

Dorn looked at Tristan after Herman walked off. He shook his head slowly, "Tristan, ye should know that Herman fell in the fight. But ye should know that he did call on the power of his faith to destroy a bugger of a skeleton. Blasted it into wee bits, he did."

The dwarf wasn't sure if his words had any worth. He wasn't of their faith.
Dawnbringer Tristan
 NPC, 4 posts
 In the dawn beauty reigns
 and the way is more clear
Sat 6 May 2006
at 05:15
Re: Reporting Back
"I've no doubt Herman's heart was in the right place today and that he fought the undead with an unmatched vengeance, such are we all who follow Lathander, but to serve a god is one's own choice and Herman has made his.  I've known Herman a long time and he is not one to take matters of faith lightly.  If he is convinced that Lathander no longer wishes his service then he must have good reason."

Tristan rested a reassuring hand upon Dorn's shoulder. "Lathander has chosen to release one of his awakened.  Some come back seeking the comunion they once knew and others leave to flourish on their own but never is the Morninglord lost from the hearts of those who have served him."

"Now as for Velsharoon's tresspassing in Rosewood." Tristan was happy to be able to change the subject as her own sense of loss mounted within her causing her heart to ache, even to such an unsavory topic. "I will need to assemble a team of people to study the portal and learn more about it.  Peter, I understand you to be a scholar from Cormyr, I would like you to represent the Guardians on that team if you would be able in the coming days?"

Tristan looked with pity upon Camille whose eyes had run dry of tears but whose body was still wracked with sobs of grief.  "What you and Bud have done is vile and wicked.  Even if, as Herman suggested, your greatest sin was that of inaction, many people suffered for it."  Tristan regarded the woman for several long moments in silence before speaking again.  "I will have you stay in the temple tonight, despite it all your loss has been great and I would not have you alone.  Perhaps a long talk and Lathander's warm embrace is just what you need.  in the morning I will take you to Mayor Hawthorne and explain what has happened.  He will decide what your punishment will be."  Tristan wrapped an arm around Camille and brought her close to comfort her.

"The church of Lathander as well as every soul in Rosewood are indebted to you for your victory today.  When I speak with the Mayor on the morrow I will be sure to pass along all that has happened and share with him the selfless acts of his new Guardians.  May the evening see you well and the morning better."  Tristan's long loose sleeve covered Camille's back down to her waist as Tristan led her away to grieve with her.

Free RP time this weekend!  I plan on moving through the next game day fairly quickly as the short character development adventures will begin after that so if there's anything you'd like to make sure and get done before splitting up please help me work it into that timeline.  Thanks!
Peter Aubary
 player, 142 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Sat 6 May 2006
at 10:06
Re: Reporting Back
Peter listened intently to the others as they spoke, surprised by all their announcements. Hearing the full extent of the cultist grip on Rosewood in one statement made him think how fragile the peace here was for its residents. Followed by Hermanís abandonment of the church left Peter with a frown; he couldnít reconcile the brave cleric who had defeated the owl bear skeleton with the boy who fled them with his tail between his legs. In front of all this people was not the time to persuade him otherwise but Peter hoped he would get the chance to speak to him again.

Lastly he was surprised by the Dawnbringerís faith in his abilities. Abashed he stood in silence unable to thank her for the offer to study the portal further. His cheeks reddened with the thought of all the attention focused on him, finally after what felt like ages he managed to nod mutely at Tristan and prayed he would not disappoint her. It didnít cross his mind until later that Fulgar might have other plans for him over the coming days.

When the Dawnbringerís attention was diverted to deal with the sorry tale of Camille and Budís downfall Peter began to relax slightly. He breathed out deeply in almost a gasp and was jumping up and down inside himself. The magical portal had excited him greatly and the unexpected swift return to it for further study was more than he could wish for.
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 167 posts
 Sultry seductress
Sat 6 May 2006
at 10:46
Re: Reporting Back
Antoine was content to let Serol give the tidings of what had earlier transpired to Dawnbringer Tristan, especially in light of the fact that the matter was akin to those of the church.  Undead and cultists, they were not a speciality of Antoine's and neither too of Dorn's, although she did manage to stifle a chuckle at the dwarf's description of the skeletal creature.

The seriousness of the situation however brought the young woman back down to Earth and when Herman announced his intention to leave the church, she was shocked.  Antoine had found the priest professional and dedicated and would never have believed he would resign his position.  Still, the Dawnbringer did suggest that former worshippers do return to the fold and so all may not be lost for the young man.

At Tristan's request of Peter to study the portal further and the fact that Serol had mentioned he had some church business of his own to see to, Antoine got thinking that the Guardians might well be spitting up for a short time.  Now that they were alone for the first time in what felt like ages, Antoine spoke to the group in general.

"It seems as zough some of us 'ave matters of our own to attend to in ze coming days.  If zis is ze case, zen zere is somezing we must discuss tonight before we go our separate ways.  Unless anyone 'as any immediate plans, per'aps it would be prudent to return to ze Red Rose Inn where we can eat, refresh and zen talk about zat which must be said."
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 157 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Sat 6 May 2006
at 14:08
Re: Reporting Back
"Personal matters?" Dorn queried. He had completely forgotten about Antoine's rendezvous with the lycanthropy hunt.


The dwarf's expectation was to pack up and head north at first light. The guardians did agree to check on the dwarven mine to the north. There was a dragon to consider.

Dorn joined his companions as they made their way to the Inn.

He waited until they were safe in their private room before he asked. "Me thoughts were ta check our interest ta the north. Are ye backing out now?"


Let me know if I fastforwarded too much with my last paragraph
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 132 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Sat 6 May 2006
at 19:36
Re: Reporting Back
Darwin stood quietly as the Dawnbringer took in Camille.  He doubted the woman could expect better treatment under the circumstances.  Indeed, she was lucky to have the church take as generous a view of the matter as it apparently did.  FOr his part, Darwin could not be too angry with her for what had happened.  Given the circumstances, she had reached out when she had an opportunity.

Darwin considered what to do next and quickly realized they had to find out what had happened with the dwarven mine, the dragon and all the various concerns surrounding that issue.

Back at the inn, he quickly replied to Dorn. "We should go speak to Eloranth and the others about this, to see if they have discovered anything further, before we head up that way," he said.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 238 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 18 May 2006
at 03:40
A Night to Plan
Kythorn 28, 1373DR
Late Evening
Humid and Windy



Camille's blank eyes had looked at Serol when he spoke but her face gave no expression and her lips failed to give voice to any words one way or another.  The woman was broken in every way imaginable.

The short walk from the temple to the inn was pleasant enough all things considered.  Small groups of revellers huddled in open doorways and fenced courtyards.  The festival of the hunt was already getting underway and as Tristan had wished, none of the townsfolk seemed any the wiser about the threat that lurked so near.  As usual Horrace was sweeping away the phantom dirt on his porch as his eyes and ears scanned the streets, learning what they could, however they could.  He acknowledged the Guardians with a wave as they entered the Red Rose Inn across the street.

As usual the opening of the door was greeted with the customary "Welcome ye in to the Red Rose Inn, where the ale is cold and the soul is bold!", perhaps a bit louder tonight than before.  The tavern portion of the inn was bustling with activity and a pair of young barmaids were virtually running around the room in an effort to meet all of the customers' needs.  Jebodiah raised an ale with which to make a toast to the Guardians but quickly set it down without a word as it seemed clear by their demeanor that they wished only to retire to their rooms and so he let them do so with little fanfare or notice.

The rooms were locked just as the Guardians had left them and after finding the keys they filed in with much to discuss.  The normally quiet dwarf Dorn was understandably eager to discus the group's plans as they related to the dwarven mines to the north.  As the others began to chime in a section of the wall near the window wavered as if being viewed through a window sheeted with falling rain.  A slightly built shrouded form quickly came into view.

"Greetings Guardians." Kendra said as she lowered the cowl of her cloak to rest lightly on her shoulders.  "Please forgive my methods but I had spoken with Serol and Antoine earlier about the quandry of the dwarven settlement, a matter of utmost importance, and needed to speak with you again."

Pre-emptively holding up a hand to Serol whom she figured would take the loudest offense to her intrusion she tried to head off the explosion.  "I assure you I have mettled none in your business here.  I travel by stealth out of habit as much as necessity.  I do not care for my coming and goings tobe catalogued by a certain hin."  Changing subjects she turned to address Dorn directly.

"I travelled north to the Firehammer tunnels today but was not able to gain entrance.  Whatever wards were placed there seem to be intact.  Mostly.  Most curious however was what I observed while trying to circumvent the wards."  Kendra's eyes drifted quickly to Serol to make sure he was still in check then quickly back to Dorn.  "At first it was only a voice, a voice from within the tunnel growing closer and louder.  Taking to cover I observed a dwarf exit the tunnel, stow a bag of items upon a pony left nearby and re-enter the mine.  he did this several times before mounting the pony and riding away.  Apparently this dwarf was able to pass through the wards.  The items he retrieved were dwarven crafted items of all description.  Weapons, flagons, chunks of ore, the usual fare of you kin, nothing of great interest to me.  When he left he travelled to the southeast avoiding any established trail or obvious route of transit.  I would have followed him further but I needed to return and speak with you on this matter, to assure you that the danger you fear had not come to pass."

"I would be happy to guide you to the tunnel site in the morning if you need further proof of the fact."  She said offering her considerable services should they be desired.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 158 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Thu 18 May 2006
at 07:23
Re: A Night to Plan
Dorn lowered his raised axe when he finally recognized the cloaked form. He muttered, "Ye should knock, next time," as he fastened the axe on his belt.

The dwarf listened to Kendra's account with keen interest. He was glad to hear that the dwarven wards were intact. The stones would hold the magick of the wards. Dorn thought confidently.

Dorn frowned as he learned that a dwarf had been removing items from the mine. He would have done the same. But he knew of the dragon. He wasn't sure if the adventuring dwarf in question knew of the dragon.

"Did ye git a good look of the dwarf? Me thinks we should talk ta Goldy and let him know of what we knows. Maybe the dwarf was someone from their clan, or something."

Dorn looked at the other Guardians, "Me thinks that we should talk ta Goldy, then go directly to da mines tomorrow. We can track the dwarf if the tracks be fresh."
Serol Kinspar
 player, 192 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Thu 18 May 2006
at 11:20
Actions a little while ago
This is a responce I had partially written before it went down (Saturday evening [I think]) I hope no one minds the fact that it would happen before we got to the inn.


Serol has spoken for the young woman.  Her crimes were serrious, but he doubted her heart to be completely bad.  He was pleased to see the Dawnbringer was at least of a similiar mind set.  It was indeed growing late and he knew immediatly the matter that was on Antoine's mind.  Still there were things in the works of his own that Serol must see attended to.

Watching Tristan, Herman and Camille enter the temple he spoke to his fellow guardians, he nodded to Antoine in a way he hoped convey he understood what it is she wished to speak of.  "My friends, I agree with mistress D'Marque that there is a matter of grave importance that must be spoken of.  And I believe the Inn and a private room far from prying ears is the best place to be discussing these things.  I will join you shortly as there are yet a few tasks I must complete before tomorrow's dawn."

[Private to Dungeon Master: Hoping that his companions would understand Serol went off in the direction of Horrace's shop.  It was growing late, but the cleric suspected he would have little trouble finding the halfling.  He was very hopeful the little shopkeep would have the information that he had bartered for only last night.  And there were a few things he needed to pick up.

If Serol finds the shop open he will ask about the arrangement they had and any information on the group of adventureres.  He will also purchace two pieces of parchment and some sealing wax.

With the parchment he will write two letters one to the Mayor and one to Herman.

Mayor:
Mayor Hawthorne,
I write this letter in favor of one of the citizens of Rosewood.  A young farmer's wife named Camille.  I have no doubt that you will shortly be hearing a great deal about this woman.  She has commited crimes of both action and inaction.  But I do not believe her to have fallen past the point of redemption.

I know her fate, and indeed, her very life will soon rest upon your shoulders.  This can be a heavy burden to bear.  Please accept my council in this matter.  I have spoken with the Dawnbringer, but hoped my word might have some weight with yourself.

I would speak for this woman.  She has lost a great deal already to the crimes she has commited.  Her farm, her livelyhood, and her husband are but the first she will find herself to pay.  But there is the temptation to continue to punish the young woman for her deeds.  This I understand.  But let not your own hurt cause you to hurt another.  There is always new growth even after the most deadly of fires.  And there is no night so dark the coming of a new dawn can not touch.


Herman:
My Friend,
I, like many others, was surprised and saddened by your decission.  However much it was your decision to make.  The life we have chose is not an easy one nor one that many people will readilly understand.

Yet I have seen the fire in your belly.  I have seen your tenasity and bravery.  There are many in my own order who value such things above all else.  To live and die in service to your god is not something to be ashamed of.  Nor is it shameful to live and almost die.

Should you find the Morninglord's approvial no longer, I might be able to offer you a new way.  Please take no offence by this, as I will put no pressure on this statement other than to give you the offer.  Were it me who had lost my faith I have no doubt you'd have done the same.

I know what joy it is to feel the love of your god.  I would never dream of taking this away from you.  But should you have already felt it slip away, perhaps it is only because you have not yet found your true path.

Should you wish to speak of this further, you know where I can be found.

He will then seal both letter with his holy symbol delevering one to the temple and the other to the inn.  Then return to find his friends.
]
Peter Aubary
 player, 143 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Thu 18 May 2006
at 17:25
Re: Actions a little while ago
As Peter made his way with the other to their private room he struggled with the many contradictions of being a Guardian. They had all set out earlier in the day to face whatever threatened Rosewood to return quietly and without fanfare while the resident began to prepare for the festival of the hunt.

It frightened him to think that they did not know of the horror they could have been facing or that they did not know the Guardians and had risked their lives for them again. He wondered how often it was like this for all the heroes of legend. Was there yet more than even the Guardians knew nothing about and who would protect them against it.

In such a reflective mood he quickly hung his cloak up before he sitting down on one of the beds once they were behind closed doors. When Kendra intruded upon their gathering Peter shocked himself with his seasoned reaction, though he may have been slower than some of the more adventurous of the Guardians he still noticed his hand instinctively reach for his sword. Calming himself he listened to what the elf had to say and was concerned by the news but was confident Dorn would handle it safely.

How he would handle the coming next few days without the rest of the Guardians near him did troubled him though.
Kendra
 NPC, 5 posts
 Cloaked Rogue
 'Finder of Lost Things'
Thu 18 May 2006
at 19:01
Re: Actions a little while ago
No problem with a little timeline distortion at this point.  As people trickle back that's to be expected since I'm moving the story onward.  Please feel free to backpost as required through this weekend then on Monday we'll get everything back in order and on the same timeline.

A small smile turned up the corners of Kendra's mouth, a smile of appreciation for Dorn's thoroughness.  "I've spoken to Goldy just a short time ago.  He believes the dwarf to not be of his clan since he did not come to pay a visit.  The dwarf in question appeared to have seen better times, his clothes were dirty and unkempt and his beard gnarled with knots.  It stands to reason he may return to the tunnels for more loot, perhaps a dwarf such as you might lay a trap for him inside the tunnels where he least expects it?"

[Private to Serol Kinspar: Indeed Horrace's General Store is open and he welcomes you warmly, inviting you in to discuss your business arrangement.  With quick sentences, as he seems eager to get back outside to observe the considerable happenings in town this evening, he relays the fact that the group in question came seeking supplies for what they would only reveal as a 'lengthy expedition' into the mountains.  They had no plans to leave for another week or so however as several of them required rest and healing from an encounter with a hill giant on the way to Rosewood.  He happily provides you with the supplies you request, for the proper coin of course, and bids you good night before picking up his broom and returning to his porch.]
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 169 posts
 Sultry seductress
Thu 18 May 2006
at 19:18
Re: Actions a little while ago
Antoine filed into the room with the others and as the door clicked shut, she barely had time to exhale in relief at the prospect of a little privacy for the guardians before Kendra announced her unexpected presence.

Trying not to show any irritation at the elf's surprise visit, she listened to what Kendra had to say and then swiftly afterwards, Dorn's response.  It seemed to Antoine that Kendra only seemed to be addressing the dwarf with this new information and perhaps this task was only meant for him...

"Per'aps Dorn zat zis is somezing zat you and Kendra can look into?  I would like to attend zis 'unt to which I have been invited in a couple days time and alzough I would like to accompany you to ze mines, I do not zink I shall be back in time."
Serol Kinspar
 player, 193 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Fri 19 May 2006
at 02:06
Re: Actions a little while ago
Serol was the last to arrive at the Red Rose.  The conversation with the halfling had been quick but filled with useful information.  He hoped it would put the guardian's mind at ease to know what he had discovered.  He nodded politely to the innkeeper as his eyes searched the inn for the group of adventurers they had seen last night.  He didn't really have any reason to distrust Horrace.  He suspected the halfling recognized a potential outlet for his 'special' services.  Paying customers for such things were likely hard to come by in a small tight-knit community such as Rosewood.

He made his way to the stairs without a word.  Within moments the sound of the wooden stairs groaning announced his arrival.  He was a large man armored head to toe; he gave up trying to sneak a long time ago.

He knocked only once as he opened the door.  It would be enough warning to the Guardians, should they not have already heard the creaking of floorboards, to rest their nerves at ease; yet not troublesome enough to actually force one of his fellows to open the door.  It was, after all, the room they all shared and he had as much right to enter as they did.

With a quick headcount to make sure than none other had stepped out for errands or the like he securely locked the door and walked to the center of the room where they could speak on private matters.

Yet he did not even make the short trip from doorway to room's center before the form of Kendra announced herself.  Quickly his hand went to his chain in that instant before thought could register the face and name; when one was acting only on instinct of survival.

His face betrayed no anger though a careful examination of the cleric's eyes would surely see it.  But his hand was quickly removed from the chain at his hip.  Kendra was his employer and one he had sworn to serve until such time as Kossuth put him on a different path.  This realization alone kept the anger from his face and voice.  But this was not Fulgar's camp; this was not a part of her domain.  For the moment he let the intrusion slide beneath his comment, but he quirked a smile when Dorn did not do the same.

Kendra, up until the moment they reached the farm, had been weighing heavily upon his mind.  In the ensuing battle and clean-up events, such thoughts were pushed from his mind.  But it was partially her he and Antoine would have been discussing within moments had she not announced herself.

He was not surprised by the fact that she had gone to the mine.  Her interest in their news seemed of a most urgent nature.  But it was perhaps strange that she had not been able to gain access.  He asked, "Your pardon, Mistress Kendra.  But I am confused.  If you were unable to penetrate the wards, how is it you believe us able to?" Surely the skilled rogue could get a great deal more places than any of the guardians could.  She had in-fact entered Rosewood and a most populated inn into their very own locked room and thought nothing of it.

He doubted very much she had spoken with Eloranth or Willow, not with the warning she had given Antoine and himself.  But if there was magic preventing her from entering, they would be far better suited than Darwin or himself.  "I can speak only for myself, but I do not yet know a way to bypass magical barriers.  Perhaps with time the Firelord may yet grant me such power."

This brought him to the original news he had wished to share with the guardians.  The fact that Kendra would hear it too might save them time in the long run.  "I have done as you instructed." he said carefully to Kendra hoping she would understand he had indeed said nothing about the danger that lurked in the mountains.  "But I was informed, just this evening, that the group of adventurers we feared might free, he who must not be freed, will be delayed in Rosewood.  They make no plans to leave for another week or so.  This Dwarf remains a mystery, but the less people poking about, the better." He knew he was being cryptic, but he also knew the room was aware of whom he spoke.  Should Kendra have been able to gain access to their room, others might as well.  Caution won out, especially when it could easily be afforded.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:10, Fri 19 May 2006.

Kendra
 NPC, 6 posts
 Cloaked Rogue
 'Finder of Lost Things'
Fri 19 May 2006
at 03:12
All Then Is Well
"All then is well." Kendra replied to Serol's news.  The elf's delicate features were a placid pool of calm, a much practiced expression.  "The wards left by the departing Firehammer clan bar access to any individual not of dwarven ancestry, Goldy had said you were aware of this...  In any case it appears to be so as I was unable to follow the dwarf inside."

Kendra pulled her cloak tightly about to keep the night's shill breeze from the window at bay.  Her black leather armor (many would dispute that it offered any real protection) was designed primarily for freedom of movement and left more sun-bronzed skin exposed than covered and offered little in the way of warmth.  "I assure you that I of anyone here in Rosewood can be trusted yet I would take no offense should the lot of you care to investigate my findings.  I demand only one thing, complete silence on this matter.  No good will come from the unsecreting of an abandoned dwarven settlement or the reasons for its abandonment.  No good whatsoever."  While the crisp breeze blowing through the window chilled to the bone it was nothing compared to the ice in Kendra's voice as she spoke the alst sentence.

"Again, my apologies for my intrusion.  Should you require me I will be downstairs in the morning.  If not I wish you well."  Quicker and more graceful than it seemed possible Kendra vanished out the second-story window into the moonlit night.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 133 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Fri 19 May 2006
at 03:43
Re: All Then Is Well
Darwin sat in silence as Kendra, Dorn and Serol, mainly, spoke of the dwarven mine and its wards. "I am no dwarf," he commented. "And thus am of no use getting into the place."

Deciding it was Dorn's task to attend to this matter, Darwin quietly mulled his options.  He supposed he would find Eloranth in the morning and see what lessons she might still have for him.  He reached into his cloak and took out the shell she had given him.

"If you'll all excuse me for amoment," he says. "I have something I must look at."  WIth that he crouched in one corner of the room, quietly incantating words in an ancient tongue. [Private to Dungeon Master: Casting Open on the shell]
Serol Kinspar
 player, 195 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Fri 19 May 2006
at 12:56
Re: All Then Is Well
It was clear then that Kendra was speaking of a task specificly for Dorn.  None of the other guardians would be able to help him more than Kendra alone likely could.  This gave the cleric some pause.  Dorn would leave in the morning with Kendra.  Antoine would be involved in the hunt in only a few more days.  Peter was made a part of the official Rosewood investigation of Bud's farm.  It seemed the Guardians of Rosewood in the span of a single evening found themselves going, briefly, their own way.

Suddenly the letter he had burned this morning tugged at his memory.  It was still a little early to respond.  He had until the end of the next Ride, but he didn't know if he would get a chance like this again.

With the sudden dissapearance of Kendra, the Guardians were once more alone.  Tomorrow I leave for Iriaebor.  I will be gone for at least three days but I will return when I can."  He paused and said, "I wish I had some way I could aid each of you in your appointed tasks.  Yet I've no spell at my disposal that will last nearly long enough to be a serious boon to you.  But you each go with my blessing, for whatever that may be worth to you."

He moved around the room blessing each of his companions drawing the complicated symbol of Kossuth upon them as he prayed for his new found friends.[Private to Antoine D'Marque: "Kossuth" he said as he drew closer to Antoine, "let your favor find this young woman in the hunt.  Let your power surround her keep her warm, safe and protected as only one can be ringed by your protective flames.  Keep her free from harm and her spirit lifted.  For her safety I pray."]
[Private to Darwin Amblecrown: "Almighty Firelord," he began as he came to Darwin's side, "grant now this man your knowledge and wisdom.  Help him focus his keen mind as a white hot flame.  Show him the path to the studies he desires and let him rejoice in the power afforded by the Lord of Flame.  For his success and his safety I pray."]
[Private to Dorn Rockfist: He approached the sturdy dwarf and called out to Kossuth as he began his symbol.  "Kossuth, master of the fires within deep mountains.  Lend Dorn now your power.  Let your flame be the light of his guide even within the unknown halls of his kin.  Protect and comfort him as the fire in the hearth and should he find reason, grant him the power of your terrible wrath.  For his protection, guidance and power I pray."]
[Private to Peter Aubary: Serol spared the young scholar a smile as he began his blessing tracing the lines of Kossuth in the air infront of him.  "Firelord, grant Peter the gift of your wisdom and intuition. Mold his mind and senses as a blacksmith molds metal kissed with your power.  In the basement of the farm grant him strength and courage should danger find him.  Grant him peace and comfort of your pressence even in oppressive solitude.  I pray for his safty, his wisdom and confidence inspired by your flame."  As he finished he leaned in closer and whispered to Peter, "Even though you go now without me, know that through this blessing we are connected.  Do not doubt in yourself and find strength in Kossuth to see you through the trials you might face, Peter the Brave."]

This message was last edited by the player at 12:57, Fri 19 May 2006.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 239 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 19 May 2006
at 15:24
Re: All Then Is Well
The Fates, or so the Guardians hoped it was them and not something more sinister, were drawing them apart, if only for a brief time.  Darwin, Peter and Antoine would remain close enough to Rosewood and in contact enough to respond to any immediate threat while Dorn and Serol would be bit further away.

Serol went around the room giving blessings to each of his new companions.  Peter, always reflective, thought about his role as Guardian and the his relationship to the town and the full ramifications of being a 'hero'.  Antoine's mind was on the hunt and the Mayor's son who despite her initial aversions held an unmistakable charm about him.  Dorn, well nobody ever really knew what turned in Dorn's mind but surely an opportunity to protect a hallowed dwarven site and curry favor with the local smith must have him anxious and excited.  Darwin's studies had already begun.  Eloranth had offered him an item of immense value if only he were able to unlock its secrets.  Any wizard could do so he had been told, but how?  He had but one more day to figure it out. [Private to Darwin Amblecrown: 'Open' does not open it.]

An exhausting day had the Guardian's seeking out their rest sooner than one might expect from a town's gallant saviours.


OK, I guess everyone's pretty set on what they're going to do so I'll start the 'minis' on Monday with each of you in your own threads.  Please use today and the weekend to get you through this night most of tomorrow.  So if you need to buy supplies, speak with people or whatever please do so.  I'd like to have as many loose ends tied up by then as possible but that's not to say there won't be continuity in the storylines so if some business spills over into the minis that's OK by me.  I'll be checking in frequently this weekend to make sure everyone can get done what they'd like.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 134 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Sat 20 May 2006
at 10:43
Re: All Then Is Well
Darwin glanced up at Serol, surprised by the kind blessing directed at him. "Thank you Serol," he said. "It does seem I am going to need all the help I can get with this little item."  He tapped one finger gently on the exterior of the shell.

A moment later, he was looking at the thing again, shaking his head at its mystery. [Private to Dungeon Master: Spellcraft 20, rolled a 4. Man.  BTW, I realized I get an additional +2 for Spellcraft due to synergy from Knowledge Arcana. I changed my sheet.  Lot of good it did me! lol]

Then, he shrugged and quietly intoned another spell.  A moment later, he spoke to the shell, thinking that in and of itself was sort of silly. "Hello shell, can you hear me?  If so, I beseech you to open." [Private to Dungeon Master: Cast COmprehend Languages and try to speak to the shell. lol]
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 172 posts
 Sultry seductress
Sat 20 May 2006
at 15:06
Re: All Then Is Well
Antoine smiled as the priest went about the guardians and offered his blessing to each and every one of them for the days ahead.  When Serol reached Antoine, she remained silent as he intoned his prayer but after he had finished, she broke through his professional barrier and gave him a big hug, making sure that the rest of the guardians heard her say to him, "Why Serol, you're such a big softy really!"

Stepping away from the priest, Antoine moved over to the window through which Kendra had utilised as a sneaky entrance and exit point.  Having a quick look and listen to make sure the elf had truly departed, Antoine closed the window before addressing the guardians in a more serious tone.

"We met Kendra zis morning and she told us zat she would be investigating ze mines.  She also warned us not to tell anyone and she 'as repeated zat warning again in front of ze rest of you.  What she didn't specify 'ere was zat when she said "anyone", zat included ze remainder of Fulgar's Five!  I am not sure of ze implications of telling or not telling zem but dealings wiz Kendra should be treated wiz caution at ze very least.  Per'aps whilst we are apart, we can consider our options and discuss zem when we rendez-vous back 'ere?"

Included rolls in case they're important.  Needless to say that Antoine's speech would be kept at a low volume.

16:05, Today: Antoine D'Marque rolled 12 using 1d20+8. Spot.
16:04, Today: Antoine D'Marque rolled 20 using 1d20+4. Listen.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 242 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sat 20 May 2006
at 16:30
Re: All Then Is Well
Who among the Guardians could mock the wizard who had saved them with his magic so many times?  Even Darwin felt a tad foolish speaking to the shell given to him by Eloranth but it drew little reaction from the others, and even the shell.  Its two halves remained firmly pressed together.  Prying open an oyster was no small thing and in seaside towns orphans made a few copper performing the feat for travellers.  There was a trick to it but this shell was magic and Darwin suspected it would not open to the orphans' hands so easily as a normal shell, something more was required.
Peter Aubary
 player, 146 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Sun 21 May 2006
at 09:19
Re: All Then Is Well
Peter welcomed Serol blessing and had become accustomed to the clerics regular support and he nodded to him in appreciation of his kind words. Also he was comforted by the fact that all his friends were still around Peter settled down easily for the night. He wished the others good dreams before unpacking his newly found book his fingers itching to feel the old papers once more.

Again the musty smell calmed the man and once more he was a small boy glued to each word of the forgotten sage who had penned the magnificent book. The book naturally opened just where he had last finished reading. The title of the chapter was ĎFortified Manors and Castlesí. The author wrote about the design and construction of these impressive buildings through to the day to day life of the people within these buildings. Reminding Peter of his own time in the great hall of Aubary Manor he finally made his way to bed feeling fondly homesick, clutching the book tightly to his chest.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 135 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Sun 21 May 2006
at 20:37
Re: All Then Is Well
Darwin let out a sigh.  He knew there likely was something painfully obvious about opening this shell; something he likely already knew how to do would be the key.  But he just could not think of it.  He tucked it back into his pocket for now.

"Well," he said, sounding more tired by the minute as the events of the day - the draining battle, the horrible injury - began to catch up with him. "I am going to sleep soon.  I have business with Eloranth in the morning."
Serol Kinspar
 player, 198 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Mon 22 May 2006
at 00:39
Re: All Then Is Well
Serol had a long journey ahead of him.  One he had made once before, the trip to Rosewood.  He was excited to be once again within the temple that had come to be his home.  He longed for those, like him, whom had devoted thier lives to the Firelord's teachings.  With some aid of his companions he was able to remove his armor setting it next to his bedroll upon the floor in the room the four men shared.

But he could see frustration upon Darwin's face.  Even though Darwin had not showed a great deal of interest in Kossuth, Serol felt a deep connection with each of his fellow guardians.  When one has risked life and limb depending on others it was easy to feel an intese connection that normal folk might never understand.  He held out hope that some, or perhaps all of his fellow guardians, might one day find the comfort in the Firelord that he did.  But if such things never happened it would not serve to lessen his connection to these people.

He made his way to Darwin's side sitting next to him as he spoke.  "My appologies if I intrude, Darwin.  But if you are having trouble with a puzzle, it's always been my feeling a fresh perspective might help.  I don't know what it is you seek to do, or what you might have tried.  But if there is some way I can help, I'd like to."

[Private to Darwin Amblecrown: If you'd like to take him up on the offer, I suggest (unless the rest of the group joins in) we take it to private messages to not clutter up the thread.  The DM can see all of our posts in the PMs and let us know the results of any actions tried.  Serol's not nearly as smart as you are.  But he's wise and can offer some genuine suggestions from a comon sense point of view.]
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 160 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Mon 22 May 2006
at 03:14
Re: All Then Is Well
The dwarf held his tongue as Serol spoke Kossuth's blessing. Dorn was not a zealot nor a priest. Though he had bashed a few heads when a half breed of an elf tried to convince him that elves were first-born. The half-elf was trying too hard to be more than his blood allowed.

As Dorn considered Serol's words, the dwarf gave a short nod of his head. He'd allow him this one shortcoming, as long as he continued to be respectful.

The grumble of his belly reminded him what he needed. Ale. Dorn paused as Serol moved on to another one of his companions. He tried to think back on when he last saw Serol drink the dark brew of Dugmaren's blessing. The dwarf wondered if he was too weak to enjoy the taste of ale. It would be a shame for that would be strike two.

Dorn announced, "I be down in the Commons ta get a drink." As if an afterthought, "Might even have some stew, it went well with the ale."

"If ye donna see me fer a few days, I'll be tracking that dwarf up north."

Antoine D'Marque
 player, 174 posts
 Sultry seductress
Mon 22 May 2006
at 07:20
Re: All Then Is Well
It was settled then.  The guardians would temporarily separate whilst they investigated their own interests.  Antoine thought it was strange though, the group had only been together for a relatively short period of time, yet separating from the others would feel like something were "missing".  Surely, these were signs of bonding, trust, friendship and great teamwork which must be behind the success of the group thus far.

Moving around the group one-by-one, Antoine embraced each one of them warmly and placed kisses on both cheeks wishing them good fortune.  She left Dorn until last, joking with him that he was going to receive a hug and a kiss either way and could do it here or in the bar area!

After the good-bye's were over, Antoine went to her room, stowed the majority of her equipment in the locked chest and knowing that Dorn would be heading downstairs, waited for him to join her.  She had little equipment with her now, save that she carried a small sack in one hand which Antoine admitted to the dwarf that it contained Herman's share of the coin from the cellar.

Accompanying Dorn to the bar, Antoine bid the dwarf a (less-embarrassing) "good evening", before leaving the Red Rose Inn.