A Hidden Peril.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 203 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 29 Mar 2006
at 22:09
A Hidden Peril
The new Guardians of Rosewood had already proved their mettle to both Fulgar's Five and the townsfolk who already revered their new protectors.  A band of goblins that had been encroaching on the town had been largely destroyed, the rest scattered to the four winds.  Just a day removed from their glorious victory the Guardians had stumbled upon several disturbing rumors in town and found more than a few questions that needed to be answered.

A good night's sleep in the comfortable beds of the Red Rose Inn did wonders for the Guardians as they awoke to face the new challenges.  Already the unlikely companions had grown together not to mention their individual growth.  Shy, scholary Peter had come out of his shell and now dressed in elegant clothing that lent him an air of nobility, the lessons learned outside the library had been taken to heart and embraced.  Though he did know it yet, Serol's standing with the church had risen after the unxpectedly fast receipt of his message in Iriaebor.  Antoine had a met a charming young man with whom she toyed as a cat toys with a mouse.  It was a dangerous game to play with the Mayor's son but she would have it no other way.  Darwin had seemingly found a new mentor in Eloranth, one of Fulgar's five and Dorn had exacted his vengeance upon the goblins, his sworn enemies.  The lightening of the sky outside prompted a rooster atop the inn to crow and call those faithful to Lathander to prayers and a warrior cleric of Kossuth to his.

The rest of the Guardians awoke soon thereafter determined to address the rumors of an enslaved dragon in the mountains above near an abandoned dwarven settlement and the mysterious symbol of Velsharoon on Grintak's map.  While Serol prayed Darwin memorized his spells which he found exceedingly easy this day, then set about unlocking the mystery of Eloranth's oyster and others sharpened weapons still scarred from the battle with the goblins.  Before the Guardians could depart there was an urgent knock upon one of the rooms' doors.

Please update prepared spells if applicable, add your daily stipend to your character sheets (we don't need to roleplay this each meeting with Fulgar any longer) and heal two hit points each if necessary.
[Private to Darwin Amblecrown: Not much is revealed about the oyster using your spellcraft check.  You recall Eloranth's words:  "Indeed this is an oyster but no ordinary oyster, it provides pearls to mages who know how to open it.  It is a common item in the mage schools of Halruaa, useful as both a teaching tool and a valuable source of pearls for the spells we just completed.  Here, take it for now.  If within two days time you can show me that you can open it I will give it to you."  Perhaps a spell taught in mage schools might unlock it...]
Serol Kinspar
 player, 130 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Thu 30 Mar 2006
at 01:50
Re: A Hidden Peril
Serol had risen early, as he had done every day since joining the Kossuthian faithful.  The sun had not yet crested the mountains to the East when the Cleric's eyes snapped open almost as if he could still hear the peeling of the temple's bells.

He looked to his sleeping fellows not wishing to wake them, he decided against his morning ritual of practicing with his chain.  He likely would have had to do so in the street as there was no room in the inn for such a task.  He considered asking the innkeeper if he could use the yard out back but decided doning his armor and making his preperations would likely wake the whole room.

With four men to a room, even one as fine as this one, quarters were tight.  Instead he moved to the wash basin and poured some water over his hands.  It was cold and crisp and it did wonders to bring the large cleric's mind to focus.

That was one of the reasons he prefered to practice his chain in the morning, it got him moving and active so when the time came to commune with Kossuth he was fully awake.  The water shocked his system causing his eyes to open and it was an effort not to allow a shallow gasp to escape his throat.

Still in not much more than his small clothes Serol kneeled upon his bedroll.  The thin fabric would cushion his knees as much, he hoped, as the soft earth he normally prayed in.

His voice was kept low in reverance to his still sleeping companions as he began his prayers.  "Almighty Firelord, Lord of the Flame master of it's mysterious strength, your humble servent longs for the warming touch of your attention and affection.  I seek the wisdom contained in the heart of the flame and will strive to make myself worthy of its teachings.  Forever has the comfort, strength, and protection of the flame sheltered mankind.  From the earliest of days, those who embraced the flame found safety and warmth and those who tried to dominate it were burned acinder."

"In my trials this day and always, guide me with the light of your flame to the actions you desire.  Let me not be lost in darkness for in my heart it burns like a beacon, bright in the darkest hour.  Guide my hand as I guide your will on Toril.  Though there will be challanges, shape them in your wisdom so that you might find me worthy of your praise, your pleasure and your message.  No reward is given without challange, for to receive that which you have not earned is the path of the lazy and the soft.  Yours is the power and the glory until the end of days."


Serol closed his eyes and stayed in silent meditation... until the knock on the door snapped open his eyes.

He stood from his bedroll and cast a glance to his chain still in its leather pouch.  Quickly he dismissed it as not necessary, trouble would not likely knock and seek answer.  Uncaring of the way he was dressed he moved to the door and opened it to see whom it was that came so early.[Private to Dungeon Master: Added two more HP.  Spells will be the same as recorded on my character sheet.  The three GP was added to my scratch pad for his donations instead of his character sheet.  When I reach the temple I will donate that amount and clear the slate.

On a completely unrelated note:  Congradulations, the DM of the other game sent me a PM saying she had one drop out and you were in.  You don't have to tell me of course, but (see previous "currious monky" posts) good or bad?  I think it will be fun to play with you on a player to player level as well as a DM to player level here.
]

This message was last edited by the player at 01:56, Thu 30 Mar 2006.

Antoine D'Marque
 player, 131 posts
 Sultry seductress
Thu 30 Mar 2006
at 07:54
Re: A Hidden Peril
The young woman woke early from a deep sleep feeling only partially refreshed but determined to be ready for the days toils.  As she wiped the sleep from her eyes, she vaguely recalled a dream she experienced that night in which she was on the hunt with Jaerod under a full-moon.

She remembered it being so very dark as she crept deeper into woods and turning around, she realised she was all alone.  With her new bow in hand, she moved silently through the trees, keeping an eye out for both her hunting party and potential prey.  Suddenly, she was aware of being so very cold, not superficially cold, but a chill that went straight to the bone.  In the distance, she could make out a large figure approaching from the darkness.  Somehow, Antoine knew she was in great danger and without thinking, let loose an arrow from her bow.  The shot was true and struck it's target firmly, yet it did not recoil.  It kept coming and she thought she could hear a mocking laughter.  Without thought, she notched another arrow, released it and this too struck home but again, the figure kept coming and the laughter grew louder.  She knew she could do nothing as whatever it was loomed closer and she stood motionless.  Just as the figure would be seen with clarity in the moonlight, she awoke with a start.

Antoine was not one for interpreting the meanings behind dreams.  She simply shook the memory of the dream away and promised herself that she would not dwell on it.  After a quick wash, she donned her leather armour, gathered her belongings together and left the room.  As she shut the door behind her, she noticed someone knocking at the door to her comrades' room.
Peter Aubary
 player, 114 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Thu 30 Mar 2006
at 08:53
Re: A Hidden Peril
By the time Peter had removed Serol’s armour with the professionalism of one taught such skills to aid his lord and brother he was growing tired as the day came to an end. His own armour was more difficult unaccustomed to wearing any him self but with a little practise and thought Peter knew things would become easier.

Struggling to build up at appetite for his dinner Peter’s mind worried over what would happen over the next few days. The chance to meet a dragon was exhilarating but also very frightening. After eating what he could he quickly excused himself to bury him self away in the manner he had used plenty of times before. His new book coming natural to his hands he lit a candle at his bedside and let it carry him away from this world and his worries with it.



The book was old and the smell that emanated from it was reassuringly musty reminding Peter of his days in the library his great grand father Raff Aubary had created. As a child he would sit for hours and study the pages of these musty tomes, and however fragile they were Iphiclus never discouraged him.

As soon as he opened it Peter was glued to its pages determined to read every line. Starting at the beginning he was delighted to see the first chapter title ‘The nature and development of magic traditions’ a subject he was greatly interested in. Scouring its pages he learned of magic lore, of amulets and protective gems, of witchcraft and aggressive magic and much more. Studying for many hours the bedside candle grew short and Peter grew progressively more tired until still holding the treasured tome Peter drifted into a peaceful sleep his mind going over much that he had learned.

After a late night Peter was still sleeping when the others awoke the book laid across his bed. The knock at the door arousing Peter he sat up at first a little dazed before clarity came to him. Closing the book Peter read the title of the next chapter ‘Architecture and engineering development’ and eagerly awaited the opportunity to read it.

Pushing him self from the bed Peter curiously wondered who had come knocking at the door.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 103 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Thu 30 Mar 2006
at 19:51
Re: A Hidden Peril
Darwin awoke early, having gotten to bed at a decent enough hour.  He felt surprisingly good this morning - and ready to study.  He smiled at Cyrus, who looked at him with bleary eyes of his own as the young wizard quietly took out his book and the shell given to him by Eloranth.

He studied the shell for a time before cracking open his book.  He looked at the talisman for some time, furrowing his brow but getting nothing.  Then he rolled his eyes and lightly slapped his forehead.  With a smile, he flipped open the spellbook and began to study.  He paid little attention to the others as they roused and set about their activities.

He had just about concluded his work, and was ready to turn his attention back to the shell, when the urgent knock was heard.  He slowly closed his book, looking up.  Cyrus huddled against his ankle and stared at the door with seeming nervousness.

He looked to the others, his eyes finally resting on Dorn. "Who do you suppose this is?" he asked, sounding a bit nervous himself.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 121 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Thu 30 Mar 2006
at 20:05
Re: A Hidden Peril
Dorn rolled in his bed. He pulled his blanket to his shoulder and tried to ignore the chatter in the room. Finally he rolled in his bed and sat up. The dwarf blinked and wrinkled his nose. "Well go ahead and open it."

The dwarf began to put on his clothes followed by his boots. Dorn looked around the room. It seemed that everyone was an early riser. He was in a sour mood and his only cure was a mug of ale. He began to lick his lips in anticipation.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 206 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 04:57
An Urgent Messenger
Serol opened the door to find a young man, freckled and topped with a startling shock of red hair, breathing heavily.  "Dawnbringer Tristan urgently wishes to speak with you at your earliest convenience."  A medallion engraved with a scenic sunrise heaved up and down on the young man's robed chest.  "My pardon sir, I did not mean to..."  the words trailed off as he tried not to look at Serol's bed clothes, the morning joy of Lathander plain for all to see.

[Private to Serol Kinspar: I couldn't resist...  Please don't be offended.  :0) ]
Serol Kinspar
 player, 133 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 20:11
Re: An Urgent Messenger
[Private to Dungeon Master: ROFL.  I'm not offended just not sure how to react to it *grin*]
Serol cocked his head as if he didn't understand then just shook his head when he did.  "Next time, I'll be sure to don my armor for those early morning visitors." his tone bespoke of his irritation.  He was not a servent of the Morning Lord and did not like being ordered about to and fro as if he were.

Still the Dawnbringer was an important person in Rosewood regardless of their differences they were not as oppisite in their beliefs so much so as other devoties of other gods.  He exhaled a sigh forcing his temper to control once more and said, "Please inform Dawnbringer Tristan I will begin making my preperations now and will see her shortly after I am dressed." suddenly a though occurs to Serol and he asks, since the messenger had not made it clear, "Does the Dawnbringer wish to speak with all of us, or just myself?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 207 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 20:36
Re: An Urgent Messenger
"All of the Guardians if possible.  I am to escort you there myself and make apologies for the rudeness of this incursion.  She was quite clear about the urgency of the matter however."  The young man looked around the room meeting each of the Guardians' gazes directly.  "May I speak with Jebodiah regarding anything that will hasten our departure while you make ready?"
Serol Kinspar
 player, 135 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 20:43
Re: An Urgent Messenger
Serol's temper began to flare again.  It was one thing for the Dawnbringer to ask an audience of the guardians and he in the early morning hour.  But to command his depart was quite another.  His voice is edged with the fire of his anger.  "Departure?!  Where is it we are going?  The Dawnbringer may command the Awaken, but she does not command me!"
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 106 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 20:49
Re: An Urgent Messenger
Darwin quickly and quietly began gathing his belongings, even before Serol asked for clarification.  Something in the young man's tone told him the priest of Lathander wanted to see all of them.

He slung his pack onto his back, shouldered his new crossbow and took up his quarterstaff.  He would focus again on the oyster shell a bit later, he decided as he tucked it into a cloak pocket for safekeeping.  He crouched down to let Cyrus scurry up to take a place on his shoulder.  He had on his own cloak, not the one given to him by the mayor's son. That he had folded neatly and put in his pack.

"Just a bit of food," he said in response to the messenger. "Bread, cheese, perhaps some fruit."  The mage seemed unperturbed by the disturbance.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 208 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 22:14
Re: An Urgent Messenger
"Sir you misunderstand, the Dawnbringer does not command anything, that is not her place.  But the town... well you have accepted the role of guardians by your admission just yesterday have you not?  I could find the mayor if you wish.  I'm sorry, that sounded like a threat, it was not intended as such.  your response has put me a bit off balance.  Perhaps the others, if they are willing, should accompany me."  The messenger was clearly flustered by Serol's response, having forseen no conflict when Tristan had dispatched him on this errand.

"No thank you sir, I have eaten already but your offer is kind."  the man replied to Darwin.  For all of Serol's imposing figure and intimidating demeanor, to the young man's credit he had not been cowed nor had he taken a step back.  Like many who followed the gods his confidence was supreme.
Serol Kinspar
 player, 137 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Fri 31 Mar 2006
at 22:24
Re: An Urgent Messenger
Serol's face was still red, he hated the fact that one of another faith could command his presence.  Still the man did have a point, the Dawnbringer had just skipped a few steps.  If she desired it, the Mayor would request it and Fulgar would deliver it.

He stroked the anger from his voice and simply said, "You are right.  My appologies to you and the Dawnbringer for my reaction.  I am... unused to following the whims of any but my own order and seek your understanding.  I have a horse in the stableyard, the boy can show you which.  I will prepare for our departure immediatly."

Suiting his words to action Serol returned to his bedroll and began dressing in his fine armor.  He would require some help to make sure it was on correctly, hopefully Dorn or Peter would aid him when it came to that.