Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 404 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 27 Jun 2006
at 21:39
Re: Death of a Guardian?
Seeing Dorn stop the lead gnoll ducks while the second gnoll draws and loads a crossbow.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 200 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Wed 28 Jun 2006
at 05:13
Re: Death of a Guardian?
Dorn stopped the seal of the potion and drank it quickly. He looked back down the corridor as he bent down to pick up his loaded crossbow. His eyes grew wide. His head jerked as his beard got caught on a pin.

"Windsheer. By Marthammor Duin, Windsheer." Dorn was not an observant dwarf, but he did call out in this case.


[Private to DM:
Dorn Rockfist rolled 9 using 1d8+3. CLW Potion.
Standard Action: Drink Potion
Free Action: Say windsheer to activate the magical pin. Not sure if it would be a standard action or move action, but all I was told was to speak the word.
Move Action: Pick up the loaded crossbow, Post June 18th - I dropped a loaded crossbow at L4

Current HP: 10

]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 411 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 29 Jun 2006
at 02:25
Re: Death of a Guardian?
The furthest gnoll fires a bolt at Dorn and buries it in his arm.  The closer gnoll picks up the body of one of his fallen comrades to use as a shield and moves 15' closer to Dorn before ducking down again.

3hp damage.  Dorn's at 7hp.

The closer gnoll has total concealment (50% miss) behind his gnoll shield.  The further gnoll has normal concealment (20% miss).

Dorn Rockfist
 player, 201 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Thu 29 Jun 2006
at 03:10
Re: Death of a Guardian?
Dorn clutched his arm as the bolt buried deep into his flesh. He staggered and bounced off the left wall as he ran down the corridor. He had hoped to purge the mines of the gnolls. But he didn't know how many there were besides the ones he fought here. No doubt there were more of them. He was in no shape to carry on.

The dwarf ran and turned the corner before he broke off the shaft sticking out of his arm.

[Private to DM:
Full run. I think I can go x4 my speed and basically make it around the corner. Then I'm planning to retreat out the main entrance/exit
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 413 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 29 Jun 2006
at 03:53
A Harrowing Escape
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Late Evening



The thunderous booms of the stone creature battling the gnolls echoed through the tunnels as Dorn made a hasty retreat away from the caltrop-bitten gnolls.  Simple devices but they had proved invaluable to the lone guardian.  As Dorn neared the stairs that led upward to the main entrance the booming stopped abruptly.

It was well past nightfall when Dorn emerged from the Firehammer clan home.  Crickets chirped incessantly in testament to the warm muggy evening. Did anyone know that you can count the number of times a cricket chirps in 14 seconds, add that number to 40 and that tells you the temperature in degrees farenheit?  I read that the other day.  Interesting huh?  But I digress. Besides the stifling humidity that already had the ground dewy, something else hung in the air.  A sense of foreboding, the kind that makes your stomach uneasy and the hairs on your neck stand up, blanketted the forest.

Though Dorn's dwarven eyes granted him the ability to see in the darkness he could not push the warnings of danger in the countryside from his mind.  Rosewood was a goodly distance away, several hours at best.  The question Dorn needed to answer was whether he'd feel safer holed up for the night or moving under the cover of night albeit through unfamiliar terrain.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 202 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Thu 29 Jun 2006
at 20:09
Re: A Harrowing Escape
Dorn stopped at the edge of the entrance to the mines.

He knew that the countryside was dangerous. The dwarf recalled the evidence the first body he found in the brush. It had been riddled with arrows. Goblins more than likely, and probably the same ones from the goblin camp. He was sure that some got away. Goblins, they were like roaches. You kill them all but another tribe springs up after the winter frost.

Dorn had a decision ahead of him. He could venture out into the countryside. He had no doubt he could find his way in the darkness. Or he could stay in the mine until morning. Nothing could enter the mine at this entrance unless they were a dwarf. But he wasn't sure if the gnolls behind him would seek him out.

The dwarf pulled out the map of the ruins. He needed a place to hole up for the night. A room with two exits just in case, but not too far from the exit.

[Private to DM: How far to Fulgar's castle?
And is there a room that might suit my needs if I decide to stay the night?
I know that I still have two full potions of something from the looter, I'll have a look see later.
]

This message was last edited by the player at 23:33, Fri 30 June 2006.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 415 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sat 1 Jul 2006
at 06:06
Re: A Harrowing Escape
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Late Evening



The map revealed any number of rooms and passages that would offer a quick means of escape.  As far as Dorn could tell the gnolls were confined to the residential ward.  Why exactly that was remained a mystery but the wards left in place by the Firehammers, perhaps including the strange stone creature, likely had more than a little to do with it.  Dorn's other options were returning to Rosewood or Fulgar's encampment which lie closer than Rosewood  but still several hours journey away.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 206 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Sat 1 Jul 2006
at 06:31
Re: A Harrowing Escape
Dorn still felt his heart pounding in his chest. Though he killed eight gnolls, he had a very close brush with death himself. The dwarf began to rummage through his gear.

He was out of potions. His two bags of caltrops were back in the corridor. Oil, canvas, rope...a plan was forming in the dwarf's mind. Dorn paused as his hand touched a dwarven heavy mace. This was the mace of the looter. He returned it to the pack and pulled out two full potions.

Dorn held up the two potions. Perhaps they were potions of healing. He began to look at the vials to see if there were any markings that might give him a clue.

[Private to DM:
Barring anything obvious. Do they have color coding or something similiar to the potions that Dorn used before?
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 421 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 3 Jul 2006
at 03:33
Re: A Harrowing Escape
The two potions were very different with neither looking like any potion he had seen before.  One was thick and opaque and the color of night, the other was a light shade of orange though otherwise clear and watery in consistency.

No clues whatsoever.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 208 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Tue 4 Jul 2006
at 03:41
Re: A Harrowing Escape
Dorn had two options. He liked neither. Finally he made his decision and stepped out of the mine entrance. He didn't take the trail that would take him to Rosewood or to Fulgar's Camp. Instead he began to check the entrance for a suitable stone. When he found it, Dorn lifted it up and reentered the mine.
[Private to DM: Stone size of a bowling ball or larger if able]

The dwarf carried the stone and made his way to the room he decided would suit his purpose for the night. Dorn knew that he needed rest, but sleep could be lethal. But even if he were to stay awake the night, Dorn didn't think that he'd be able to keep up his guard the entire time.

Dorn had to set up a distraction or a decoy, if he was set up by the gnolls during the night. He placed the stone in an obvious place in the room. Then he covered it with several layers of canvas. It was a good thing that he had three yards of the material. Then he placed the heavy mace and his chain shirt next to the form created by the stone and the canvas.

The dwarf examined the chain shirt he took from the looter. It was similiar to his own chain shirt, but of finer quality. Much finer quality. Dorn decided that it was better to be armored so he donned the chain shirt and settled down for the night. Dorn stifled a yawn and told himself that he'd allow himself to take short naps. But his wounds were causing bruises and his muscles began to stiffen...

[Private to DM:
My decoy will be a stone covered with 3 layers of canvas. I'm also going to leave the heavy mace and my old chain shirt folded next to the decoy.

Dorn will don the MW chain shirt that he took from the looter.

If you need to roll Fort/Con checks for me during the night go ahead. I didn't think that Dorn would be able to stay up the entire night, so I'll let you decide how much rest he'll get.
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 425 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 5 Jul 2006
at 16:08
Re: A Harrowing Escape
Kythorn 30, 1373DR
Midday



Dorn's snores echoed loudly through the abandonned stone fortresshome of the Firehammer clan.  A short nap had quickly turned to an interminable slumber as th rigorous day's activities caught up with him.  Though there was no light by which to tell the time of day, nor waterclock near the rumbling in Dorn's stomach told him it was well on in the day.

A quick glance around showed his trap to be perfectly undisturbed and the dust on the floor near the doors to be undisturbed.  Had he been able to hear his own snoring he would have known that if anything sought a victim they surely would have found him with little trouble.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 209 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Wed 5 Jul 2006
at 17:42
Re: A Harrowing Escape
Dorn woke with a start. He blinked his eyes clear as his hand reached for the axe at his side. It appeared that nothing came to explore this area of the mines. Good thing he didn't snore.

The dwarf pulled out a double helping of rations. His dried tongue ached for ale, but water would have to do. After he finished the first half of the dried fruit and meats, Dorn stuffed the remainer of the rations back into his pack.

Rosewood. There was a large bowl of stew waiting for him in Rosewood. Plus, several mugs of ale.

Dorn began to stuff his pack with all the gear he had laid out on the floor. Then he returned to the exit of the mine.

[Private to DM:
Rolls if you need them.
10:42, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 13 using 1d20+9. Spot.
10:41, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 16 using 1d20+7. Move Silently.
10:41, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 25 using 1d20+8. Listen.
10:41, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 13 using 1d20+7. Hide.
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 429 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 6 Jul 2006
at 01:38
Trapped?
Kythorn 30, 1373DR
Midday



As Dorn mounted the steps that would lead up and eventually out of the Firehammer clanhome he began to hear the sounds of gnolls again.  The closer he crept to the exit the louder they became.  Peering around the corner his fears were confirmed, a group of four gnolls had taken up a position outside the exit presumably waiting for him.  His wounds from the day prior were still fresh and painful making these four a greater challenge, perhaps even impossible to defeat, than would normally be the case but hundreds more waited below, concentrated around the only other exit, an exit whose presence was still only conjecture.

The gnolls show no signs of entering the clanhome and your inspection of the tracks outside the day before would lead you to believe that they cannot enter.  Likewise the ones you battled within did not pursue when they could have.  It appears they are laying seige to you...???
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 211 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Thu 6 Jul 2006
at 03:53
Re: Trapped?
Dorn stopped and moved back far enough where he wouldn't be heard. He pulled out the map again. He had to find another exit. If one existed. Of course he knew that one existed but it was probably guarded by the group of gnolls within the mines. He needed to find a likely exit that the gnolls had not yet found if one existed.
[Private to DM: Any chance that I'll find an exit on the map?]

The dwarf wasn't sure how long the gnolls would wait. He had enough food for three days, more if he rationed them out. But he was out of ale. That would pose a problem.

Dorn decided to see how long the gnolls would wait.

[Private to DM: Going to wait it out for an hour]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 432 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 6 Jul 2006
at 04:19
A Waiting Game
Kythorn 30, 1373DR
Early Afternoon



There was but one entrance/exit marked on the map and just down the hall from it he stood.  The mystery as to how the gnolls had come to be in the residential ward of the Firehammer clanhome would likely have to remain a mystery for the time being.  While there were four outside there were ten times that at leat holedup in the tunnels below.

An hour past and the gnolls remained dutifully posted outside the entrance.  The barking growls of their language was nearly nonstop though what exactly they were discussing was impossible to know.  After some time two of the gnolls took to tossing rocks at the entrance and watching them bounce off thin air, a game that seemed to amuse them to no end.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 212 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Fri 7 Jul 2006
at 02:59
Re: A Waiting Game
Dorn began to chew on his beard. He was in a pickle. The dwarf hated pickles, but he hated the gnolls more. He had to find a way out.

The dwarf pulled his pipe and began to stuff it with pipeweed. Dorn never liked his ideas. But it was better than staying in the mines. He pulled four vials of oil and set them on the ground. He tore off four strips of his shirt and stuffed them into the tops of each vial.

Dorn continued to puff on his pipe. He had to silence his cough as he continued drawing on the pipe. Finally he stopped. The pipeweed was burning but not producing enough flame for his needs. A candle would have worked or better yet a torch. He had neither. With a sigh of regret, he emptied the contents of his pipeweed and tied the bag around the end of the pipe. He'd have to burn the bag and hold it in his mouth. He would need both hands free.

The dwarf slid two vials of oil into his potion belt. He made sure his crossbow was loaded and secured all of his gear carefully. It was going to be a mad dash, and he wasn't going to be able to stop for anything.

He hoped that the two gnolls would grow tired of their sport. So Dorn waited for some time.

[Private to DM: Will wait for another 30 minutes. All my prep time would take another 30 minutes, I guess
19:42, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 12 using 1d20+7. Hide.
19:42, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 9 using 1d20+7. Move Silently.
]


Dorn decided it was now time to act. He lit the bag at the end if his pipe on fire. Then he picked up the two vials of oil in each hand.

He lit the pieces of cloth on each vial and began to creep up to the exit of the mine.

[Private to DM:
Well here's my crazy idea.
I've got 4 vials of oil prepped.
An open flame burning at the end of my pipe (still have the resistance to fire 5)

I will try to get as close to the exit before I'm spotted. Hopefully I get a surprise round. If so, then I'm going to use a Full action to throw both vials of oil. Then in my normal round, I'm going to draw a vial (free action), lit it on fire, move 20 and throw it at another gnoll. If it's possible to run x4 or x3 straight out into the wild, then I won't throw the 3rd vial.

I realize that the mine is on top of an enbankment of some kind. I remember that it was a climb to the entrance. I'm hoping to throw myself down the slope, feet first in a crazy run for freedom.

I am not planning to stay and fight. Just throw the two vials of oil on two gnolls, hope they get distracted and run for it.

Wish my dice roller luck.


19:52, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 10 using 1d20+9. Spot.
19:52, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 12 using 1d20+8. Listen.
19:52, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 22 using 1d20+7. Move Silently.
19:52, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 16 using 1d20+7. Hide.
19:52, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 13 using 1d20+4. Splash Atk 2.
19:52, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 14 using 1d20+4. Splash Atk 1.

rolled 8 using 1d20+2. INIT.
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 437 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 7 Jul 2006
at 15:27
Re: A Waiting Game
Kythorn 30, 1373DR
Early Afternoon



I understand the gist of it, let's start at the beginning.

Dorn glanced up, and around the corner, periodically from his preparations to note with disgust that the dim-witted gnolls were still utterly fascinated with their game of bouncing rocks off the warded entrance.  Eventually, considering everything he decided it was time to put his plan into action.

Dorn had honed his skill at creeping up on prey within the mines and tunnels of of the Rockfist stronghold delved into the northern foothills of the Cloud Peaks and as he crept forward now his boots made no sound upon the worked granite floor.  The expert craftsmanship of the Firehammer delvers with their straight, smooth walls giving him little to hide himself behind as he inched his way up the straight tunnel toward the gnolls.  He relied more upon the timing of his movements than anything else to avoid detection.  When the gnolls bent to pick up another stone Dorn took a step forward, when they turned to argue about something he took another.

Dorn was just twenty feet from the magical warding when two of the gnolls, one who had been throwing rocks, and another who had just come over to cast a curious glance inside let out a harsh-sound bark and drew their weapons.  The closest slashed his axe toward the distant Dorn but it bounced off the invisible ward, a fact the gnoll seemed well prepared for.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 215 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Fri 7 Jul 2006
at 18:00
Re: A Waiting Game
He was spotted twenty feet too soon. Well he knew that a plan never survived in the field. That's why his plans never worked.

Dorn rushed forward to the edge of the invisible barrier and threw one of the vials at the closest gnoll. Then he reached to his belt to grab another vial.

[Private to DM:
Since I have such a low number of HP. I'd better do this round by round.
Move: 20' to edge of the barrier
Standard: Throw oil at the square the gnoll is standing
rolled 7 using 1d20+6. Splash Atk w/ oil. vs AC 5
Free: Draw another vial of oil which was shoved into the potion belt.
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 439 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 7 Jul 2006
at 19:28
A Rushed Attack
It was a bit odd, Dorn stood just feet away frm the gnolls yet they could not do him any harm through the magical warding that prevented passage by anything not of dwarven blood or carried by one of dwarven blood.  The gnolls seemed content to wait for Dorn to pass through the barrier and took advantage of the time to set their feet and adjust their armor so they were ready for his approach.  Dorn let fly with the rigged vial of oil but the moment it left his hand he knew the flaw in his plan.

The instant Dorn's fingers released from the vial it no longer had the ability to pass through the barrier and it shattered against it sending a burst of flame up, down, and to the sides, but not passing through to the gnolls.  The heat washed over Dorn but remarkably the dwarf weathered it completely unaffected.  The gnolls mockingly yipped at Dorn who apparently had not learned what they had so many moons ago.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 216 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Sat 8 Jul 2006
at 06:29
Re: A Rushed Attack
Dorn reached out and snuffed the burning piece of cloth with his thick fingers. He frowned under his beard. He didn't expect this The dwarf calmly reached up and pulled the burning pouch off his pipe. He lost all of his pipeweed but he was able to save his pipe.

Still chewing on his pipe, he corked the vials of oil. He reached up and touched the invisible barrier. His hand passed through, but the vial of oil did not. As Dorn began to understand some of the magical properties of the barrier, he pulled his crossbow into position.

Dorn knew that if he fired at his present position, the bolt would bounce off the barrier. But if he took two steps just over the broken shards of vial on the ground then the crossbow would be on the otherside.

The dwarf took the two steps leaned forward and fired. Dumb gnolls.

[Private to DM:
23:27, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 4 using 1d8. dam x-bow.
23:27, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 22 using 1d20+6. Atk x-bow.

Basically just lean forward over the 'line' fire and pull back
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 442 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 10 Jul 2006
at 03:55
Round 1
Fool me once, shame on you , fool me twice, shame on me the old saying went and Dorn was never one to shame himself.  The gnolls were content to let Dorn come through the barrier and meet them four against one and so when he approached the warding they let him come while licking the drool from their large canine teeth with sloppy tongues.  What they weren't expecting was for Dorn to stop and fire a bolt then retreat.  At such close range the targetted gnoll had no chance of avoiding the speeding the bolt and howled in pain as it penetrated his leather armor to leave a wound in his chest.  The other gnolls stood dumbfounded, apparently not knowing what they should do.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 217 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Tue 11 Jul 2006
at 06:32
Re: Round 1
Dorn reloaded his crossbow. It was his sixth bolt, more than enough to deal with these gnolls. But he told himself that he'd have to restock his supplies, especially his pipeweed.

The dwarf watched the gnolls for a second before he stepped forward again. He leaned forward past the invisible barrier to fire at the same gnoll he hit before.

[Private to DM:
Move: Reload Crossbow
Standard: Attack with x-bow
23:31, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 22 using 1d20+6.
23:30, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 8 using 1d8. dam x-bow.
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 448 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 11 Jul 2006
at 15:56
Round 2
This time the gnoll attempted to dodge but it was far too slow and the bolt drove through its armor and into his heart.  The loss of their comrade seemed to spur the other gnolls into action however and they rushed the barrier only to stop short and ready their weapons to strike at Dorn's instrument of death the next time it emerged from the protective ward.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 218 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Fri 14 Jul 2006
at 01:22
Re: Round 2
The dwarf laughed at the gnolls as it rushed the barrier. His laughter caught in his throat as he realized that they were going to wait for him.

Dorn loaded his crossbow and then picked up some pebbles from the ground. He threw the pebbles at the barrier so he could get a better view of the invisible line. He poked the crossbow halfway through the barrier and fired at point blank range.

[Private to DM:
This is sorta like tic-tac-toe.
18:22, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 11 using 1d20+6. Atk next round x-bow.
18:21, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 1 using 1d8. Dam X-bow.
18:21, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 13 using 1d20+6. Atk X-bow.


Ok. Now I've got 3 bolts left.
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 453 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 14 Jul 2006
at 04:06
A Retreat to Rosewood
Flamerule 2, 1373DR
Midday



The gnolls on the other side of the barrier were not waiting for Dorn but rather his crossbow and when he poked the nose of it through three battleaxes struck in unison.  One axe ripped the stirrup off the end while the other two combined to shatter the prod rendering the crossbow useless before Dorn could get off his shot.  The gnolls had lost one of their number but three of them were still enough to accomplish their task of finishing off the wounded dwarf who had attacked their home.

Seeing few other options Dorn retreated into the Firehammer clanhome.  After weighing his options he quickly found himself reverting to the most basic principles of survival.  Fire, water, and maintaining, or in Dorn's case recovering, one's health.  Without healing potions or the searing healing Serol offered Dorn was forced to rest to heal his wounds.  After setting several ingenious and crafty traps for any gnolls who might come after him Dorn rested.

For two days Dorn rested before he went sneaking toward the exit again.  Much to his surprise the same three gnolls remained there guarding against his escape.  Unlike last time however they appeared quite bored and more than a little surly as Dorn crept up on them.  The only way Dorn was to gain his freedom from the Firehammer clanhome was to fight his way past the three dogs.  Grasping an axe in either hand Dorn charged down the tunnel and burst through the ward that had kept the gnolls at bay.  They had seen him coming but he still landed the first blows and one gnoll died before he could raise his axe against the stout dwarven fighter.  The other two fell quickly to Dorn's well-practiced axes but not before inflicting several grievous wounds on him.

Not wishing to test his luck Dorn fled from the entrance to the Firehammer clanhome running at least a mile over uneven terrain, doubling back several times, before stopping to bind his wounds.  It was still early morning and while Fulgar's camp was a bit closer Rosewood offered healing and the prospect of meeting up with his fellow Guardians.  And so he headed southwest.

Just after highsun Dorn reached the outskirts of Rosewood.  Thanking Marthammor Duin for his safe travel through the dangerous wilderness he made his way to the Red Rose Inn.

Thus concludes your mini.  Please join up with the others in the new thread, The Guardians Reunited.
link to a message in "3.5 DnD - Guardians of Rosewood"