Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 243 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 22 May 2006
at 03:28
Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Kythorn 28, 1373DR
Late Evening
Windy and Humid



Given the news from Kendra it seemed that the Firehammer ruins were still safely hidden away from teh world from all but those of dwarven blood and so the task of investigating the looting fell to Dorn, the group's only dwarf.  Kendra had offered her assistance in the morning but that was a decision for another time.  Dorn's gullet needed ale and needed ale badly.

Lumbering down the stairs on stubby legs Dorn found Jebodiah to be doing a thriving business this night.  Perhaps a bit too crowded for his taste the commotion allowed Dorn to blend into the background.  midway down the stairs that were open to the tavern Dorn spotted Goldy sitting at a table by himself, four large empty mugs arrayed on the table before him and another one inthe process of being emptied.  Spying your arrival he waves you over and motions one of the over-worked barmaids for a couple more ales.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:03, Mon 22 May 2006.

Dorn Rockfist
 player, 161 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Mon 22 May 2006
at 04:16
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Dorn smiled beneath his beard. None of the other guardians followed him downstairs for a mug of ale. Finding Goldy and an offered seat was just what the dwarf needed.

He took a deep draw of his mug, when Dorn sensed something amiss. He turned to Goldy, "Something bothering ye? It's that woman, she came and talked to ya right?"
Goldy Firehammer
 NPC, 1 post
 Dwarven Smith
Wed 24 May 2006
at 04:02
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
"That woman?  Aye, the elfmaiden Kendra.  Indeed she did, she told me about that looter up in my clan's home she did.  Who would have thought a dwarf would turn on another like that.  I'm fixin' to go up there and take care o' him myself in the mornin'.  Maybe ye'd like to be comin' along?"  Goldy patted his belly with satidfaction as another stein was emptied and placed among the other empty ones on the table.  "Another ale and keep em comin' lassie!"
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 163 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Wed 24 May 2006
at 04:22
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Dorn was almost done with his second mug when his bowl of stew arrived. "Ye canna count me in."

"Kendra might want ta come along. But I think the two of us can handle dis without too much interference."


[Private to DM: Dorn will meet Goldy at the smithy. I've got a few purchases in mind before I set out.]
Goldy Firehammer
 NPC, 2 posts
 Dwarven Smith
Wed 24 May 2006
at 04:33
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Early Morning
Stormy



"Aye, I ain't never seen an elven blade best a dwarven axe.  Between the two o' us we won't be needin' her though she do be good to look at!"  Countless more ales were emptied before the pair of dwarves turned in for the night with plans to meet the next morning at Goldy's smithy.

The storm lasted throughout the night and when Dorn awoke lightning was still splitting the sky.  Undaunted by the previous night's ale consumption Dorn rolled out of bed behind only Serol and made ready for the new day.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 164 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Wed 24 May 2006
at 05:59
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Dorn still had the taste of ale on this tongue. He didn't know how many ales he drank the last night. He stopped counting after his second bowl of stew.

The dwarf helped Serol with his armor. It seemed that he was eager to be on the road. "Damn rain. I should change me plans and stay by the hearth today." Dorn muttered under his breath. But he did offer his axe to Goldy so he couldn't back out now.

By the time Dorn was dressed, Serol and Peter were already gone. And, Darwin was busy reading his book. He tried not to disturb the mage as he left the room.

Rain. He disliked the rain. It got on his clothes, muddied his boots and flatten his beard. Dorn hated the rain.

Dorn stopped by the Morninglord's temple. He thought he saw Peter, but he wasn't sure. All humans looked like to this dwarf. He made a quick purchase before he made his way to Goldy's smith.
[Private to DM: I bought Potion of CMW for 250 gold]


Dorn didn't bother to knock as he entered Goldy's smith. He was expected, and he didn't want to wait in the rain longer than necessary.

"Goldy, I think ye had a throwing axe the other day. I'd like ta buy one before we head out on the trail." Dorn slid a stack of gold coins across the counter.
[Private to DM: 8gp for a throwing axe

Both axe and CMW potions have been added to the character sheet
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 255 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 25 May 2006
at 04:34
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Goldy offered the axe to Dorn before the pair set out for his old home.  Goldy wasn't much of a talker and so the pair of dwarves, something here-to-for unseen in Rosewood for countless years, made their way into the mountains.  THe rain pelted them relentlessly and both secretly yearned for the shelter of the earth.

Around noon the rain finally let but the mountainside was wet enough and slick enough to let that fact be taken as good news.  The going was slow and treacherous at times as they climbed higher in to the mountains.

Balance check please.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 165 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Thu 25 May 2006
at 04:46
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Dorn allowed Goldy to lead the way back to the clan's mine. He kept an eye out behind him. His whiskers tingled and itched. A sure sign that someone was following him but then his beard always itched after a rain.

The dwarf cursed the rain as he had to work to maintain his footing on the slippery slope.

rolled 16 using 1d20. balance check. Accounted for skill and armor check penalty
rolled 11 using 1d20+8. Spot

This message was last edited by the player at 04:49, Sat 27 May 2006.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 261 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sat 27 May 2006
at 04:35
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Late Afternoon
Overcast and gloomy



Several slips and tumbles were narrowly avoided throughout the morning and after a particularly treacherous stretch up a steep rock formation covered with slickened moss the stone carved entrance to the Firehammer clan's ancient home came into view.  "There she be." said Goldy proudly as he seemingly forgot why exactly they were here.  "It's so close, I don't know why I don't come here more often..."

There was no sign that you had been followed into the mountains but as you scout the entrance the soft whinny of a horse carries through the humid air.  100 feet away tethered to a tree is a pack horse, it's saddlebags already bulging.  From where you stand the dwarf does not appear to be present.

Who's Durl?
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 166 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Sat 27 May 2006
at 23:25
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
"Well I be..." Dorn whispered.

The dwarf kept a watchful eye as he approached the pack horse. Dorn didn't spot the owner of the horse. It was possible that he was still inside the mines. He figured that the other dwarf returned to the mines in order to grab another stash of goods.

"Goldy, watch the entrance. I'm a gonna remove the saddlebags so he can't make a quick escape."

Dorn approached the pack horse slowly. He offered some dried fruit from his rations in order to distract the beast.

The pack horse must have been tethered outside for some time. Though the fruit was dried, he nibbled the treat out of Dorn's hand. He patted the horse and then slipped the bulging saddlebags off the pack horse.

Dorn motioned Goldy to join him away from the mine entrance. "Do ye recognize these things?"

[Private to DM: Durl? Never heard of him :)
rolled 22 using 1d20+2. handle animal

Dorn will remove the saddlebags.
]
Goldy Firehammer
 NPC, 3 posts
 Dwarven Smith
Sun 28 May 2006
at 02:00
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
The horse immediately warmed to Dorn and nuzzled into the dwarf's hand with a gentle whinny.  Goldy was already rummaing through the bags before you even asked.  "Aye, look at the markings, his one here on this axe is me own marking" he said holding a finely crafted axe much like the one Godly himself wielded "and that one there is Durl's, he must be emptyin' out the smithies today."

Fire flashed in the usually-amicable dwarf's eyes.  "I say we goes in after him and drags him out short a finger or two.  He'll be answering to the Firehammers for this one.  Another dwarf..."  Goldy shook his head ruefully at the thought of it.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 04:08, Sun 28 May 2006.

Dorn Rockfist
 player, 167 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Sun 28 May 2006
at 03:06
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
"Yea. Ye have the right of it." Dorn replied.

"We canna wait right here for him too. When he comes out with another bag of yer stuff, we can jump him." The dwarf peered at his anxious companion. "But I canna see that ye donna want to wait fer him."

Dorn rubbed his bearded chin in thought, "And there is the risk that he might stumble on the wyrm and set him free. We'd better go in after him."

"Lets take the saddlebags with us. No reason ta leave it out here in the open."

Normally Dorn would have taken the lead and entered the mine first. But since this mine belonged to the Firehammer clan he deferred to Goldy and followed his lead.
Goldy Firehammer
 NPC, 4 posts
 Dwarven Smith
Sun 28 May 2006
at 04:16
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
"Ye won't want to be touchin' the walls until we get to the meetin' chamber."  Goldy said cryptically as he set off into the tunnel, one saddlebag in hand.

The entrance to the tunnel was marked with a perfectly square pillar on either side supporting a large cross-stone over the top that was carved with the word 'Firehammer' in the language of dwarves.  The tunnel itself bore straight into the mountain for a hundred feet before turning sharply left in a ninety degree angle and descending via stairs carved into the rock.  The stairs circled counter-clockwise deeper and deeper into the mountain until the dank air became heavy and comforting, a sensation humans find disturbing.  At long last the stairs ended and once again after a right-angled turn the tunnel extended straight for another 50 feet before opening into a large open underground chamber.  "Here's the meetin' chamber, the smithies are down this tunnel here to the right.  I don't be much for stealth if ye wanted to lead from here so we can be catchin' that thief by surprise."
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 168 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Sun 28 May 2006
at 21:37
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
With a short nod, Dorn lead the duo down the tunnel to the right. He pulled out the blue-green cube and held it in his left hand. The two dwarves didn't need light unlike men, but there might be a time when one was necessary.

[Private to DM:
Ready with Blue-Green Cube if needed. Going to pop it into my mouth and spit it out.

Here are some rolls if needed.
14:36, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 12 using 1d20+8. Survival.
14:36, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 23 using 1d20+8. Spot.
14:36, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 28 using 1d20+8. Move Silently.
14:36, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 21 using 1d20+8. Listen.
14:35, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 9 using 1d20+4. Dungeoneering.
14:35, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 28 using 1d20+8. Hide.

]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 270 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 29 May 2006
at 01:52
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Late Afternoon
Deep within the Firehammer ruins



The passages were obiously dwarven cut with perfectly square corners and walls, floors, and ceilings worked smooth.  Some would call the extra time spent on such details as wasteful but to dwarves they were necessities of worthy craftsmanship.  Years of abandonment had left a fine layer of dust upon the stone floors, dust that betrayed the presence of the looting dwarf.

Using skills honed through practice and experience Dorn stalked their prey deeper and deeper into the craftsmen's ward of the Firehammer ruins.  It appeared teh dwarf, whoever he was was methodical in his looting.  It started with the first passage that branched to the right, a set of tracks leading down the branching passage and another returning.  Several passages that branched to the left had been ignored as the looter was apparently following a right-hand rule of exploration, keep your right hand on the wall and you won't get lost.  Coming to the sixth such passage Dorn found only one set of tracks leading in, and none coming out.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 169 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Fri 2 Jun 2006
at 00:02
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Dorn fished out a bag from his pack. In hushed tones, he explained. "I'm gonna spread out these on the floor. There be a chance that dis fella might sneak past us and try ta escape. If he does, we'll know 'bout it."

The dwarf spread out his caltrops at the entrance to the sixth passage before he lead Goldy to find the thief.

[Private to DM:
17:02, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 21 using 1d20+3. Dungeoneering.
17:02, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 21 using 1d20+8. Hide.
17:01, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 11 using 1d20+8. Listen.
17:01, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 19 using 1d20+8. Move Silently.
17:01, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 19 using 1d20+8. Spot.
17:01, Today: Secret Roll: Dorn Rockfist rolled 27 using 1d20+8. Survival.
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 282 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 2 Jun 2006
at 04:07
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Late Afternoon
Deep within the Firehammer ruins



Clinkety clank clinkety clank clinkety clank... Goldy was the first to hear it but soon the sound of someone or something approaching was unmistakable.  Twenty fet ahead the passage turned left at a right angle and the rythmic sound of metal clanking and scraping was quickly approaching from teh opposite direction.

Goldy pointed a stubby index finger excitedly toward the corner, there was little doubt in his mind the sound was that of the looter.  He was so riled up that as he drew his axe its blade scraped against the stone wall loudly.  THe clanking stopped and the stone passage was utterly quietly as everyone stood motionless.  After several seconds the sound of items being set down was followed by the hiss of steel being freed from a scabbard.  "I thought you gnolls would have learned by now." said a menacing, grating voice from around he corner.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 170 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Sat 3 Jun 2006
at 03:56
Re: Dorn Rockfist - The Firehammer Ruins
Dorn locked eyes with Goldy before he stepped out into the open. He held the two blue-green cubes, which he had wet with his mouth, forward. He called out in dwarven.

"We not be dem yapping dogfaces. Unless ye be kin, yer trespassing. Come out and show yerself."

[Private to DM:
Init should it be needed.
rolled 6 using 1d20+2. Init
]

This message was last edited by the player at 03:56, Sat 03 June 2006.