Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 245 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 22 May 2006
at 03:38
Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Morning
Stormy



Darwin's efforts to unlock the shell had been thus far in vain.  But one full day remained for him to unlock the secret, gain the item as his, and hopefully impress Eloranth in the process.  More likely than impressing her he would not disappoint her for she had made it clear she expected great things from the young Amblecrown.  The day had been exhausting and once again nearly fatal and his straw-stuffed matress whispered an irresistable lullaby in his ear and he was soon asleep.

Darwin's sleep was deep and dreamless that night.  Even the ferocious storm that shook the inn and split three trees in town with its lightning failed to rouse the intrepid wizard even once.  The crowing of a rooster finally awakened him to a new day.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:03, Mon 22 May 2006.

Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 136 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Mon 22 May 2006
at 19:36
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin smiled as he awoke.  Ideas had been forming in his mind during his sleep, and now the percolated to the surface.  He would study his spellbook, then the shell.

If he had learned nothing to that point, he would go forward with his plan.  After all, spending the money to buy one pearl in order to get a lifetime's supply was a fair enough deal, he supposed.

[Private to Dungeon Master:  Will take 20 for Spellcraft on shell if possible after studying spellbook.  New spell list is on character sheet.]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 252 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 23 May 2006
at 05:47
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Further examination of the shell does not reveal any spells currently in place upon it.  In your mind's eye you can almost see Eloranth's face twisted into a mischievious smile as she watches her pupil struggle with the task at hand.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 137 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Wed 24 May 2006
at 19:44
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin let out a sigh.  He feared he was going to greatly disappoint Eloranth if he showed up having made no progress and not even having a clue of what he needed to do.  He ate a quick, tiny snack from his rations and gave a bit to Cyrus as well.  The rat munched away happily, seemingly unconcerned at his master's growing frustration.

Come Cyrus, Darwin commanded with a thought, and the rat finished the last crumb of his food and scrambled up to the mage's pack.  "We are going on an errand."

With that, he gathered up his belongings and made his way out the door.  It was time to visit Horrace once again.
Horrace
 NPC, 6 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Thu 25 May 2006
at 04:54
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Morning
Stormy



As usual Horrace was on his front porch.  Though sheltered from the worst of the rain there was little sense in sweeping the floor that was soaked with splashed water.  "Good day to you Master Amblecrown, what brings you out in such weather?"

This message was last updated by the player at 04:54, Thu 25 May 2006.

Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 138 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Fri 26 May 2006
at 01:44
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin hunched his shoulders against the weather as he approached the store.  He had walked many leagues in his young life, through all sorts of weather.  He didn't care for this, but he could manage.  He sensed that Cyrus was fairly snug in the pack.

He stepped up onto the porch and out of the rain as Horrace greeted him. "I would say good day too, though this weather might make my words ring hollow," he said morosely. He shook the water from his cloak.

"I need a simple item," he said. "The fruit of a certain sea creature.  A pearl."  Darwin saw little point in beating around the bush with Horrace. His time to solve this puzzle was growing shorter.
Horrace
 NPC, 8 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Fri 26 May 2006
at 02:22
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Ah, I see, a young lass has caught your eye?  A pearl would be a most delightful gift, they are quite rare here so far inland.  Come, let em show you what I have."  Horrace led Darwin to a small table with a glass top.  Horrace reached behind the table and a light suddenly glowed from within.  His hands returned to the top of a table holding a small burgundy velvet box which he openned toreveal a half dozen shimmering pearls.  "Here, look at each one and find just the right pearl for that lucky lass."
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 139 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Fri 26 May 2006
at 12:57
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin eyed the pearls, finally settling on one that appeared to be of appropriate value for his needs.  "I will also require the feather of an owl," he said to Horrace.  "I'm sure you have one on hand, yes?  I would imagine the merchant of the arcane who supplies you would leave a few on hand at the very least ..."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 264 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sat 27 May 2006
at 04:56
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Morning
Stormy



"Indeed, indeed I do but I cannot sell one to you."  Horrace looked a bit uneasy.  He was clearly not used to turning down business and did not care to do it one bit.  "Eloranth specifically forbade it." he added as explanation.  "Tomorrow I am allowed if you are able to wait until then.  I don't dare draw the ire of Eloranth, you of all people must understand that."
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 140 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 30 May 2006
at 02:50
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin nodded slowly.  Part of him wanted to grin, and another part wanted to cry.  It was clear that he was not going to be able to identify the shell's properties through a spell of identification.  He was hardly an able enough woodsman to find the feather himself.

"On second thought," he said as he pushed the pearl back to Horrace, "I've no need of this.  Sorry that you can't make the sale, but it seems Eloranth does not want me to follow this path.  And dare not draw her ire, as I'm sure you understand."  He winked quickly as he shook his head and walked out of the store.

The young wizard was frustrated. He had thought of one more rudimentary cantrip that might work to open the shell, but of course, he had not memorized it this day.  He slowly headed off toward Fulgar's camp as the rain beat down upon his traveling cloak.
Horrace
 NPC, 11 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Tue 30 May 2006
at 03:15
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Morning
Stormy



Horrace looked a bit downtrodden having lost the sale of a pearl.  "Master Amblecrown!"  he called after you from the porch.  "I've a good number of scrolls to be sold."
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 141 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 30 May 2006
at 03:39
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin paused dramatically, letting the shopkeeper sweat a bit for a moment.  Then he pivoted on his heel and walked back toward the shop.

"YOu continue to impress me Horrace," he said. "Of course, I'd be happy to take a look at your scrolls.  Two spells in particular interest me today.  A basic spell of identification, and a simple trick called the mage's hand."
Horrace
 NPC, 11 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Thu 1 Jun 2006
at 03:49
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Very good then, please come back and take a look."  Horrace said ushering Darwin back through the door.  "I'm but a simple merchant you see and don't know anything about your great art so you'll need to look at the scrolls.  The wizard that provides them color codes them for price and leaves them here to be sold."

Horrace walked you through the store back to where you had found the components and alchemical supplies a while back.  "The scrolls tied with red ribbons are to be sold for 125 silver, the orange for 25 gold, the yellow for 150 gold, and the green for 375.  Do take a look, I hope you are able to find what you are looking for."  Neatly stacked in small bins are 5 scrolls tied with red ribbons, 5 scrolls with orange ribbons, 2 scrolls with yellow ribbons, and 4 scrolls with green robbons.

Make the appropriate checks to determine the spell contained on any of the scrolls you wish to learn the spell of.  The level of the spell follows the colors of the rainbow, red for 0 level, orange for 1, yellow for 2, etc.

This message was last updated by the player at 03:49, Thu 01 June 2006.

Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 142 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Wed 31 May 2006
at 04:17
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power

Darwin nodded, giving Horrace an unusually friendly smile - at least for Darwin.  He moved to the least expensive scrolls and began to inspect them, furrowing his brow as he read through the writing on all of them, seeking the Mage Hand spell. He shakes his head twice, as these allegedly simple spells seem difficult for him to place. He wonders if he has been too much worried about adventuring, at the expense of his studies. [PRivate to Dungeon Master:
00:10, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 30 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 5 - Level Zero.
00:10, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 22 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 4 - Level Zero.
00:10, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 15 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 3 - Level Zero.
00:09, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 24 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 2 - Level Zero.
00:09, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 19 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 1 - Level Zero.
]

After that, he moves on to the next level of spells, carefully inspecting them, hoping to find what he needs. A spell of identification.  Though he doubts he will, as those scrolls are usually more expensive. Nevertheless, he is intrigued to find out what scrolls Horrace has on hand. [Private to Dungeon Master:
00:14, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 33 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 5 - Level One.
00:14, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 28 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 4 - Level One.
00:14, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 21 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 3 - Level One.
00:14, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 28 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 2 - Level One.
00:13, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 24 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 1 - Level One.
]

Finally, Darwin knits his brow and goes back to examine the two scrolls that initially stymied him. [Private to Dungeon Master: 00:16, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 30 using 1d20+14. Reroll Scroll 3 - Level Zero.
00:16, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 19 using 1d20+14. Reroll Scroll 1 - Level Zero.
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 279 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 1 Jun 2006
at 03:57
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Morning
Stormy



Afer several moments of study you determined that the least expensive scrolls consisted of two scrolls of Prestidigitation, a scroll of Mage Hand, and two scrolls of Light.  The more expensive scrolls consisted of a Magic Missile, a Jump, an Animate Rope, a Guided Shot, and a Protection From Chaos.

Horrace looks on with interest hoping he has salvaged a sale.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 143 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Thu 1 Jun 2006
at 04:42
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin looked up from the scrolls with a slight smile and even ventured a wink at Horrace, something unusually light-hearted from the studious young mage. "Horrace, my friend, I'd like to purchase three scrolls this day."

He reached for his coin pouch as he continued. "Alas, these three will not add up to the cost of the pearl," he said, taking up the scrolls of Prestidigitation and Mage Hand. "But don't worry, I'm sure you will be parting me from my money again soon enough."

Darwin counted out the money and paid the shopkeeper.
Horrace
 NPC, 12 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Fri 2 Jun 2006
at 03:44
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Tis better than nothing." Horrace said trying to keep the disappointment from his voice.  A happy customer was a repeat customer his pops had always told him.  "Good luck with your puzzle Master Amblecrown." he said seeming to know something about why you sought what you did.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 144 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Mon 5 Jun 2006
at 14:32
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin raised an eyebrow at Horrace's bidding him good luck. He gradually smiled. "I see news travels fast in Rosewood," he said with a laugh. <green>"No matter how boring it may be ..."  There was a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Darwin proceeded to make his way out of the building.  He had thought to head right to the camp, but decided working in a tent in the pouring rain would only make things harder.

"Back to the inn, then, Cyrus," he said with a sigh as he turned to follow the route he had taken earlier, this time going in the reverse direction.

Back at the inn, he headed up to the room the Guardians had shared, presuming it was still available.  Once there, he let Cyrus out to play and roam, while he focused on the shell once more.  He placed it in the center of the table and unfurled the scroll of Prestidigitation.  He slowly and carefully read the spell.  A moment later he focused on the shell, trying to channel the simple magical energies of the cantrip into a magical effect that would open the shell.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 288 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 5 Jun 2006
at 16:28
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Mid Morning
Stormy



As Darwin cast the spell of Prestidigitation the halves of the shell slowly openned to reveal a perfect, gleaming white pearl.  Outside the rain is beginning to lessen as the storm appears to be raining itself out.

Congratulations!  The key was that any wizard could open it meaning that the spell must be from the Universal school to which no specialist is denied access.  There is more to learn about your new toy but hey, at least you have it open.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 145 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 6 Jun 2006
at 14:27
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin grinned as the oyster opened up to reveal the pearl.  He focused on it further, willing it to close.  He knew that the effects of this spell would last a good deal longer, so he assumed it would allow him an hour or so to manipulate the shell.

His smile grew as he saw that the weather had improved. It was time to make his way to Fulgar's camp and to find Eloranth.  With the extra scroll he'd purchased, he would be able to demonstrate his knowledge of the oyster's workings once more today.

"Come on, Cyrus," Darwin said, sounding almost like a young boy he was so filled with pride and glee.  The rat scurried over to hop on for another ride.

This time, as he headed toward the camp under clearing skies, there was a noticeable spring in Darwin's step.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 295 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 6 Jun 2006
at 18:11
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Noon
Overcast and Muggy



Darwin's timing could not have been better.  Though the sky remained completely overcast as he strode north down the beaten trail the weather cleared and the raindrops stopped falling.  A hawk circled overhead as the young mage made his way toward Fulgar's encampment.  Upon arriving he was shocked to find the stone wall now reached the tops of the cliffs that surrounded the encampment on the three other sides.  Fulgar's encampment was now completely enclosed.  A long piece of woven cord dropped along the outside of the wall from the top where it was attached to a large brass bell.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 146 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 6 Jun 2006
at 23:10
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin's eyebrows rose as he examined this "new construction."  In the same time it had taken him to figure out how to make a simple shell open, others (presumably Eloranth and Willow, mainly) had built a massive fortification to Fulgar's camp.  He peered at the work, curious as to how it might have been done so quickly and effectively. Magic of some sort, no doubt. [Private to Dungeon Master: Spellcraft 19 - Sometimes it seems like I just can't get a truly good Spellcraft roll despite that mod. *L*]

He looked up and noticed the bell at the end of the string. He shrugged, then reached for the cord to sound the bell.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 300 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 8 Jun 2006
at 01:23
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Noon
Overcast and Muggy



The bell rang, but it did not.  Far above the bell swung from side to side but no sound could be heard.  Several moments passed before a grating rumble began to shake the ground.  Fearful that the wall may be collapsing Darwin took a step back just in time to see select stones extend themselves from the wall creating a stairway that worked it's way up from left to right.  When they finished moving they extended a mere two feet from the wall, plenty of room to walk but unnerving none-the-less without handholds and the prospect of them sliding back into the wall at any moment.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 147 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Thu 8 Jun 2006
at 01:33
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Quite impressive," Darwin said as the last stone settle into place. "I suppose I really must go up ..."

With that, Darwin carefully put a foot on the first step and began to work his way upward.  He moved slowly.  He had never been much for heights, having spent most of his young life on the flat coast, which had been decidely lacking in elevation.  He focused on the task at hand, not looking down for certain, but not really looking up either.  He made his way up the magical staircase as best he could.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:34, Thu 08 June 2006.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 302 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 8 Jun 2006
at 14:18
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Noon
Overcast and Muggy



Th height and precariousness of the climb was daunting to be sure but Darwin boldly made his way up the stairs to the top where he was greeted by Eloranth.  The wall that had already been constructed was apparently to serve as the foundation for a much greater structure as an axpansive floor/roof spread over the entire area from the wall all the way to the three sides of the natural rock enclosure below.  Had one not known there was not solid ground beneath they'd have no reason to expect it.

"Come, let us go inside from this dreadful weather."  Eloranth said the numerous rings on her fingers sparkling in sunshine that didn't shine.  Though the rain had stopped the air was still oppressively muggy.  Eloranth led Darwin down another staircase that disappeared into the floor that led to the room in her tower that he had previously visited.  "So tell me Darwin, have you come flush with new knowledge?"
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 148 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Fri 9 Jun 2006
at 12:50
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power

Darwin forced a smile as he reached the top, trying to hide his nervousness from Eloranth as soon as he saw her.  He stepped off the stairway to rest his feet on the impressively solid "floor" beneath his feet.

"That would be most agreeable," Darwin said. "The walk in this damp air has left me nearly as wet as would be had it rained."  He readily followed her into the tower, a bit more comfortable in these surroundings than he had been before.

He met her eyes after she asked her question, and his smile grew wider and much less forced. "I believe I have Eloranth," he said. "I believe I have. Allow me to demonstrate."

Darwin plucked the shell from his pocket and set it before him.  He reached to his scroll case and unfurled the second scroll with the minor cantrip that created a variety of effects.  Slowly and deliberately, he read the inscription.  A moment later, he focused on the shell once more and magically pushed it to open.

As Darwin worked, Cyrus appeared, popping out of the pack to regard Eloranth with a quizzical but friendly look in his dark, beady eyes.
Eloranth
 NPC, 11 posts
 Mysterious Mage
 'From all, to all'
Fri 9 Jun 2006
at 20:09
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Very good Darwin."  Eloranth's eyes sparkled wih pride at who she considered her apprentice whether he knew it or not.  "And so the shell is yours, the first of many items of power you will come to posess.  Let me tell you more of the shell."

"The simple spell you've discovered will indeed open the shell which will contain a pearl of appropriate quality for an identify spell every time.  be warned however, once a pearl is removed it must be used in the casting of said spell, by the person who opened the shell, within one minute or the pearl and the shell will disintegrate to dust."  Eloranth sat back in her chair, her voluminous robes shifting as if she were crossing her legs beneath.

Satisfied Eloranth changed the subject.  "I see you have chosen a rat as your familiar, I'm curious as to why you made that choice."
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 149 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 16:52
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin inclined his head for a moment after Eloranth gave him the shell. When he spoke, the gratitude in his voice was clear. "This is a most generous gift, Eloranth," he said. "I will treasure it, and I thank you." Hearing her words, he willed the shell to shut, with the pearl still inside.

He smiled at her last question and looked up to meet her gaze directly.  A smile was on his face. "That is a good question," he said. "I think when I cast the summoning spell, I did not even know what it was I sought. And then Cyrus was there. I think ..."  He scratched at the stubble on his chin. He had never before put his thoughts about his familiar into words.

"I think we are somewhat alike, he and I," he finally said with a laugh. "Perhaps not much to look at, not too impressive at first glance. But we are both tougher than our slight frames would indicate, and we both have a natural curiousity.  I just hope that our bond will grow over time, as I know it has for many who practice our art."

He paused, wanting to ask her about the stone fortress being built around them.  But he would wait a bit to inquire about that.  A sudden question had struck him.

"Eloranth," he said, looking around the room, "do you have a familiar of your own?"
Eloranth
 NPC, 12 posts
 Mysterious Mage
 'From all, to all'
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 22:58
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Indeed.  I have taken a familiar since we have settled here.  Already our bond is strong, stronger than I could have hoped.  Perhaps dragons take to the bond quicker than other animals"

Eloranth uncrossed her legs and stood fromher chair.  "I don't mean to be rude but I have many demands upon my time these days and must attend to them."  She appeared ready to usher you to the door then paused.  "Tell me Darwin, do you still desire to craft and enchant items of power?"
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 150 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Sun 11 Jun 2006
at 00:18
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin's eyebrows rose in surprise at her words. "A dragon?" he said. "May I ... may I see your familiar some time? I have not had the opportunity to see such a creature, other than in books."

He felt a bit disappointed when she seemed to be dismissing him, and then breathed a quiet sigh of relief when she asked her question. "Oh yes," he said. "Certainly. It is one of my greatest desires."
Eloranth
 NPC, 13 posts
 Mysterious Mage
 'From all, to all'
Mon 12 Jun 2006
at 00:41
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"How perfect then!"  Eloranth extended a hand to lift you from your seat.  "You may use my laboratory for your studies if you wish.  Qaexilthus is fond of the place as well and you should make quick friends."  In the instant Darwin touched her hand Eloranth and the room around him blinked out of existence.  In its place was a giant laboratory lined with shelves holding all manner of spell components, books, specimens preserved in jars, empty cages and jars and too many other things to immediately catalogue.  Tables and desks filled the interior of the room which appeared to have no door or other means of exit.  In the far corner of the room a pair of eyes peered at you from the shadows.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 151 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 13 Jun 2006
at 17:10
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin's eyes widened as he saw the laboratory, and the questions he had wanted to ask Eloranth were forgotten for the moment.  As his gaze caught sight of the eyes in the corner, Darwin presumed this was the dragon she had mentioned.

When he spoke it was in the ancient tongue of the wyrms, one of the many things in which his uncle had instructed him. "Greetings," he said in an even tone. "Are you the one Eloranth called Qaexilthus?"  Cyrus clung tightly to his master's pack, peering at the eyes nervously.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 334 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 14 Jun 2006
at 03:30
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Noon
Overcast and Muggy



The eyes in the darkness blinked slowly but whatever it was did not reply to Darwin's inquiry.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 154 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Thu 15 Jun 2006
at 17:44
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Well hello at any rate," Darwin said in the common tongue. "I hope you don't mind if I look around." He scanned for components and for a place where he might set out his alchemical ingredients and scroll scribing equipment.  Then, keeping one corner of his own eye on the eyes in the corner, he looked more closely at all the wondrous materials suddenly at his fingertips.

He was unsure what he should first attempt to do.  Perhaps he should simply sit and work on scrolls and substances.  But no, he did not know how long he would be here, and he could do that work elsewhere.  There was a spell that he had just developed fully in his studies, and he had heard of it being used to imbue an item with certain protective qualities.  He knew that the arcane missiles he conjured were difficult to stop, except with another spell.  The thought of an enemy spellcaster, like those they had faced in the root cellar, blasting him with magic missiles was discomfiting.

A smile came to his face. It would be a relatively simple item, but likely one that he could afford to make in terms of time, coin and his own power.  He began to look for a simple brooch, the type that one would use to hold a cloak in place at the neck.
[Private to Dungeon Master: I've added Shield as one of my new first level spells and I'd like to have Darwin make a Brooch of Shielding.  SOmething simple and by-the-book for my first stab at this.  According to my estimates, it should cost 750 gp and 60 XP and take 1.5 days.  At least he can afford it!]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 347 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 15 Jun 2006
at 21:11
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Midnight
Overcast and Muggy



At first Darwin found it difficult to remain focussed on his work with one eye on the shadowy corner but after some time where the supposed dragon did nothing at all he found himself forgetting he was being watched.  Hours passed in the blink of an eye and though Darwin felt hungry he could not force himself to stop his labor of love.  Sometime during the process there was a rustle in the corner and when Darwin looked up the eyes were no longer peering back at him.

Beyond exhaustion yet thrilled by the prospect of imbuing an item with his power Darwin pushed himself away from the table unable to work a minute longer.  It was then he remembered he had yet to find a way out.

Your estimates are correct.  This post covered the half-day of work, tomorrow you will be able to complete it.  You can stay for the night if you wish or try and find a way out.  Up to you.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 155 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Mon 19 Jun 2006
at 17:19
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin eyed his surroundings with a bleary gaze as exhaustion set in. What exactly was this place, and how would he leave, when it was time.  He quickly realized, though, that in his exhausted condition he would have trouble figuring out whatever test this was.  Eloranth undoubtedly was using the seeming lack of exit in the lab as another method of instruction.

Instead, Darwin sought a comfortable chair or couch.  Barring that, he would use the floor.  He needed rest.  He imagined that Cyrus would alert him if anything terribly unusual or dangerous happened while he slept.

Upon waking, Darwin immediately returned to work on his brooch.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 370 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 20 Jun 2006
at 04:41
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 30, 1373DR
Morning
Indoors



Darwin quickly lapsed into sleep slumped in an overstuffed chair set by a large candelabra meant to provide a comfortable place for long reads.  He was awoken the next morning to a most distasteful smell.  Wave after wave of moist fetid air washed over his face until he opened his eyes and found himself face to snout with a green dragon.  So close was the dragon that Darwin could see nothing but its eyes, snout, and long razor-sharp teeth jutting from an impossibly large mouth.  The dragon said nothing but continued to stare at Darwin fromthe close proximity.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 156 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 20 Jun 2006
at 18:59
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin flinched as he felt and smelled the dragon's breath. Green, eh? he thought with surprise, trying to control his lower bodily functions.  It didn't take long for him to realize the thing could bite his face off if it chose to.  Then again, he thought, it hadn't done anything to hurt him yet, which would have been easy enough for the creature to do under the circumstances.

"Hello there," he finally managed to croak quietly in Draconic. "I'm Darwin. How are you?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 381 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 21 Jun 2006
at 04:31
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 30, 1373DR
Morning
Indoors



"If by 'how' you mean, how am I here, I am here by Eloranth's grace.  As you are it seems though I've no idea why she's taken a liking to you."  It was strange to normal hear a voice come from such a fearsome creature but a dragon's intelligence was no secret.

"You haven't even figured an exit have you?"  What followed could only be characterized as a laugh though it was unlike any sound Darwin had ever heard before and a noxious smell filled the room.  The dragon turned away from Darwin nearly smacking the young wizard with his spiked tail as he retreated to the darkened corner he seemed to prefer.  For better or worse Darwin was left alone to continue his work on the brooch.

I'm interested to hear how you visualize the crafting of a magical item.  It's something I've never been able to quite put my finger on and I play a character in another game who will soon start crafting items.  Maybe your vision of the process will inspire me.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 157 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Wed 21 Jun 2006
at 17:40
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin nodded at the dragon's words. "Nor have I, truth be told," Darwin said in response to the creature's comment about Eloranth taking a liking to him. "I am fortunate enough to be in her good graces for the moment as well."

Darwin stepped away from the creature's tail as it turned away. "No, I've not, though I haven't really tried, either," he responded. But already the materials in his work area were drawing his eye once more.  He sat, taking up the brooch in his hands.

He ran his fingers over its surfaces as he stared at the way the light reflected from it.  What was the force of a magic missile if not just some other form of energy, like fire or light.  For surely light was akin to fire.  Fire gave off light, and the rays of the high sun could burn a man. If one could reflect light, why not other forms of energy?  He flicked his fingertip softly against the metal, listening to the sound it made.  Sound echoed. SOund could be muffled.  How could he make a brooch something that would deflect or muffle or absorb pure force?  He needed to put the shielding spell within the brooch, to let it linger there, where it would last for some time. It would require a different kind of casting, something from deep within himself.

It was not yet time for that casting, though.  He had to learn more about the brooch.  Beads of sweat formed on his forehead as he sat, learning more about the object's structure, about the way it displaced space around it, about the way it shone, with each passing minute.

I think the trickiest part is describing a process that takes so long. Obviously he can cast a spell into an object, but item creation clearly calls for more than that. I'm toying with some ideas here in my post. I think it's a step in an interesting direction.  If you want me to just finish the crafting, let me know. I thought something else might happen in the meantime.  Or not.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 385 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 21 Jun 2006
at 18:02
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 30, 1373DR
Evening
Indoors



The time passed quicklywith Darwin engrossed in his work though every so often a shuffling in the corner or the scraping of claw and scale on stone drew his attention.  By in large Qaexilthus remained quiet and observed the young mage at work.  Cyrus was so frightened by the creature that he dared not venture from Darwin's robe and his nervousness constantly invaded Darwin's mind.

After much exhausting work Darwin deemed his creation complete.  He wondered if perhaps he should test it, the brooch being his first attempt at enchanting an item and all, but he was far too exhausted to undertake anything.  The process was much more taxing than he had anticipated by as with the casting of any spell, the exhilaration experienced at the moment of its release was far worth it.

Seeing Darwin's delight Qaexilthus could restrain himself not a moment longer and his voice broke the silence from his place in the shadows.  "What have you been working on?  I sense a magic in the brooch, did you place it there?"
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 159 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Thu 22 Jun 2006
at 20:30
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin winced from time to time as he felt his familiar's fear at the dragon's presence.  As best he could without breaking his concentration, he tried to calm the animal. I will protect you, he told the scrawny rat.

He did not know how long he had been working when suddenly he saw it. It was almost as if he were looking through the brooch. He saw its structure, its inherent properties.  He quietly intoned the spell of shielding and felt it join with the metal clasp.

A smile came to his face, and he heard the dragon's question. "It is now a protective talisman, capable of absorbing magical attacks," he said with a grin. And yes, I did put the enchantment there. I really did."

His mind reached out to Cyrus, hoping he could share in his master's small triumph. He eyed the dragon once more. "I have a friend with me, a small animal," he said. "I ask you not to hurt or scare him."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 387 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 23 Jun 2006
at 03:15
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Really?  Do you think Eloranth would permit me to do so?"  The contempt in the dragon's voice was anything but disguised.  "She would not mind me taking the brooch for her own however."  Claws clicked on the flagstone floor and scales scraped dully against each other as the young green dragon emerged from the shadows.  A long forked tongue flicked in and out of Qaexilthus' mouth between long fangs.  Although Qaexilthus was but a baby by dragon standards he was far more deadly than the entore band of goblins combined.

Suddenly Eloranth's voice sounded from teh far side of the room.  "That's quite enough Qaexilthus, Darwin will keep what he has made."  Qaexilthus hissed with disapproval but finally retreated back into his corner after several seconds.  "You have been successful then?"  Eloranth continued, unfazed by Qaexilthus.  "Very good, very good indeed."

Eloranth walked silently across the room, the only sound the ruffling of her velvet robe.  She took the brooch from your hand and examined it.  "How very useful."

"You must have learned something since last we spoke, that ours is the only true power, why else would you craft an item to protect you from magic?"  Eloranth did not need to say it, her look told the whole story "I am pleased with you Darwin."

"I have often thought of taking an apprentice, one who would understand that the only real allegiance a wizard holds is to the magic and that through the magic true power is realized.  I believe you understand that do you not?"

"As you can see I offer an apprentice amazing resources and unlimited opportunity to learn.  You Darwin Amblecrown could be that apprentice."

This message was last updated by the GM at 03:15, Fri 23 June 2006.

Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 160 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Fri 30 Jun 2006
at 22:41
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin scowled at the dragon's words, but they seemed to disappear into the air when Eloranth appeared and spoke to Darwin.  He listened intently to every word she said - something he had learned that masters appreciated and that often led to unexpected rewards.  This time, he could not have been better rewarded.

"Eloranth ..." he said, slightly dumbstruck at her offer. "I would be honored indeed. Since my uncle left his home, I have sought a new master, one who could teach me more of the ways of magic and greater lessons as well. I am honored at your offer and I hope you will accept my acceptance of it."

He looked at the brooch once more. "I know that the spell that talisman shields me from is a simple one, yet it is one of the most effective attacks there is," he said. "And so I decided to guard myself against it as best I could."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 417 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sat 1 Jul 2006
at 06:59
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"As my apprentice you will answer to me and me alone.  There will come a time Darwin when your loyalty to me will be put to the test.  As you have learned, tests can have great rewards or terrible penalties.  I am a fair master but one who does not tolerate failure.  Is this understood?"  Eloranth's tone had turned cold, the icy cold that burns your throat in the dead of winter, a cold that is as deadly as the hottest flame.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 161 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Sat 1 Jul 2006
at 11:46
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin was silent for a moment. He looked inside himself then, at his heart and his mind.  He had always sought knowledge for knowledge's sake, less interested in power than in simply knowing more.  Perhaps that keen hunger for knowledge was not so different from a lust for power.

He nodded. "I understand," he finally said, his voice low, his eyes averted from Eloranth's hard gaze. "I will be loyal to you only Eloranth. I ask only that you continue to offer me opportunities such as you have so far.  Teach me more, show me how to learn, allow me to acquire new ways to work magic, and I will always be loyal." He was willing to do this, but he wanted her to know what he required in exchange for his devotion.  Darwin looked right at her then and did not let his eyes turn away from hers.
Eloranth
 NPC, 13 posts
 Mysterious Mage
 'From all, to all'
Mon 3 Jul 2006
at 03:29
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"But of course!  I would never wish an apprentice of mine to be lacking in power or wherewithal, it would reflect poorly upon me."  Eloranth reached into her robe and produced a platinum ring with a large square-cut emerald set into it's flat top.  "So long as you wear this you will be marked as my apprentice and will posess full rights and privledges as such, including access to this laboratory.  It will also bind you to your oath of loyalty to me.  Only I can release you from this oath.  Do you understand?"  The wizardess extended the ring to Darwin for him to accept and wear.

This message was last updated by the player at 03:29, Mon 03 July 2006.

Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 163 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Mon 3 Jul 2006
at 12:51
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin looked at the ring for a long moment as he held his breath. He was unsure about being "bound" to anyone other than Cyrus, but this was too good an opportunity to let go.  He exhaled slowly.

"I understand," he said quietly.
Eloranth
 NPC, 14 posts
 Mysterious Mage
 'From all, to all'
Mon 3 Jul 2006
at 19:44
The Apprentice
Eloranth's eyes sparkled with pleasure.  "I am very pleased to have found such an able apprentice.  You are free to stay here in the laboratory and continue your work if you wish.  I am sympathetic to the expensive nature of your undertakings and thus you are free to use this." she said placing a perfect brick of what appeared to be platinum on the table next to her.

"The exit is hidden in in the corner near Qaexilthus.  I would tell you how to open it but I trust you'd prefer the challenge of figuring it out yourself.  The Dawnbringer has summoned me, I know not when I'll return but I will leave Qaexilthus here with you should you need anything.  Is there anything I can get you before I depart?"


The brick of platinum is valued at 1500gp and Darwin will have an additional three days with which to craft/brew/create more items.

Should you wish to remove the ring at anytime in the future be sure you tell me of your intentions.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 450 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 12 Jul 2006
at 23:48
Hidden Portal
Whe time permitted and Darwin's desire to leave grew stong enough he ventured to Qaexilthus' corner where Eloranth had indicated the extit was.  The walls were of stone and mortar construction just as everywhere else in the laboratory but plainly upon the wall was a painted wood plaque with 11 square ceramic tiles attached to its face.  It seemed quite obvious that this was the puzzle Eloranth alluded to as being the key to leaving.

Each of the eleven tiles bore a different letter painted upon it in a magnificently fanciful script.  Other than the different letters the tiles were all identical save the second one which bore the letter D and was twice as thick, making it stick out from the plaque twice as far as the others.  From left to right the tiles were labelled as follows:  A D E H I L N O P R T


Please indicate what item you would like to craft with a market value not exceeding 3000gp and continue posting here until you figure out how to open the way out.  You may immediately join up with the others in the new thread, The Guardians Reunited, while you are finishing up here in this thread.
link to a message in "3.5 DnD - Guardians of Rosewood"

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:11, Fri 14 July 2006.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 462 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 19 Jul 2006
at 16:48
Re: Hidden Portal
Darwin's player (dwbehrend) quit the game at this juncture.  And then there were four...