Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 136 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Mon 22 May 2006
at 19:36
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin smiled as he awoke.  Ideas had been forming in his mind during his sleep, and now the percolated to the surface.  He would study his spellbook, then the shell.

If he had learned nothing to that point, he would go forward with his plan.  After all, spending the money to buy one pearl in order to get a lifetime's supply was a fair enough deal, he supposed.

[Private to Dungeon Master:  Will take 20 for Spellcraft on shell if possible after studying spellbook.  New spell list is on character sheet.]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 252 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 23 May 2006
at 05:47
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Further examination of the shell does not reveal any spells currently in place upon it.  In your mind's eye you can almost see Eloranth's face twisted into a mischievious smile as she watches her pupil struggle with the task at hand.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 137 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Wed 24 May 2006
at 19:44
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin let out a sigh.  He feared he was going to greatly disappoint Eloranth if he showed up having made no progress and not even having a clue of what he needed to do.  He ate a quick, tiny snack from his rations and gave a bit to Cyrus as well.  The rat munched away happily, seemingly unconcerned at his master's growing frustration.

Come Cyrus, Darwin commanded with a thought, and the rat finished the last crumb of his food and scrambled up to the mage's pack.  "We are going on an errand."

With that, he gathered up his belongings and made his way out the door.  It was time to visit Horrace once again.
Horrace
 NPC, 6 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Thu 25 May 2006
at 04:54
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Morning
Stormy



As usual Horrace was on his front porch.  Though sheltered from the worst of the rain there was little sense in sweeping the floor that was soaked with splashed water.  "Good day to you Master Amblecrown, what brings you out in such weather?"

This message was last updated by the player at 04:54, Thu 25 May 2006.

Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 138 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Fri 26 May 2006
at 01:44
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin hunched his shoulders against the weather as he approached the store.  He had walked many leagues in his young life, through all sorts of weather.  He didn't care for this, but he could manage.  He sensed that Cyrus was fairly snug in the pack.

He stepped up onto the porch and out of the rain as Horrace greeted him. "I would say good day too, though this weather might make my words ring hollow," he said morosely. He shook the water from his cloak.

"I need a simple item," he said. "The fruit of a certain sea creature.  A pearl."  Darwin saw little point in beating around the bush with Horrace. His time to solve this puzzle was growing shorter.
Horrace
 NPC, 8 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Fri 26 May 2006
at 02:22
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Ah, I see, a young lass has caught your eye?  A pearl would be a most delightful gift, they are quite rare here so far inland.  Come, let em show you what I have."  Horrace led Darwin to a small table with a glass top.  Horrace reached behind the table and a light suddenly glowed from within.  His hands returned to the top of a table holding a small burgundy velvet box which he openned toreveal a half dozen shimmering pearls.  "Here, look at each one and find just the right pearl for that lucky lass."
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 139 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Fri 26 May 2006
at 12:57
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin eyed the pearls, finally settling on one that appeared to be of appropriate value for his needs.  "I will also require the feather of an owl," he said to Horrace.  "I'm sure you have one on hand, yes?  I would imagine the merchant of the arcane who supplies you would leave a few on hand at the very least ..."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 264 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Sat 27 May 2006
at 04:56
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Morning
Stormy



"Indeed, indeed I do but I cannot sell one to you."  Horrace looked a bit uneasy.  He was clearly not used to turning down business and did not care to do it one bit.  "Eloranth specifically forbade it." he added as explanation.  "Tomorrow I am allowed if you are able to wait until then.  I don't dare draw the ire of Eloranth, you of all people must understand that."
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 140 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 30 May 2006
at 02:50
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin nodded slowly.  Part of him wanted to grin, and another part wanted to cry.  It was clear that he was not going to be able to identify the shell's properties through a spell of identification.  He was hardly an able enough woodsman to find the feather himself.

"On second thought," he said as he pushed the pearl back to Horrace, "I've no need of this.  Sorry that you can't make the sale, but it seems Eloranth does not want me to follow this path.  And dare not draw her ire, as I'm sure you understand."  He winked quickly as he shook his head and walked out of the store.

The young wizard was frustrated. He had thought of one more rudimentary cantrip that might work to open the shell, but of course, he had not memorized it this day.  He slowly headed off toward Fulgar's camp as the rain beat down upon his traveling cloak.
Horrace
 NPC, 11 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Tue 30 May 2006
at 03:15
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Morning
Stormy



Horrace looked a bit downtrodden having lost the sale of a pearl.  "Master Amblecrown!"  he called after you from the porch.  "I've a good number of scrolls to be sold."
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 141 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 30 May 2006
at 03:39
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin paused dramatically, letting the shopkeeper sweat a bit for a moment.  Then he pivoted on his heel and walked back toward the shop.

"YOu continue to impress me Horrace," he said. "Of course, I'd be happy to take a look at your scrolls.  Two spells in particular interest me today.  A basic spell of identification, and a simple trick called the mage's hand."
Horrace
 NPC, 11 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Thu 1 Jun 2006
at 03:49
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Very good then, please come back and take a look."  Horrace said ushering Darwin back through the door.  "I'm but a simple merchant you see and don't know anything about your great art so you'll need to look at the scrolls.  The wizard that provides them color codes them for price and leaves them here to be sold."

Horrace walked you through the store back to where you had found the components and alchemical supplies a while back.  "The scrolls tied with red ribbons are to be sold for 125 silver, the orange for 25 gold, the yellow for 150 gold, and the green for 375.  Do take a look, I hope you are able to find what you are looking for."  Neatly stacked in small bins are 5 scrolls tied with red ribbons, 5 scrolls with orange ribbons, 2 scrolls with yellow ribbons, and 4 scrolls with green robbons.

Make the appropriate checks to determine the spell contained on any of the scrolls you wish to learn the spell of.  The level of the spell follows the colors of the rainbow, red for 0 level, orange for 1, yellow for 2, etc.

This message was last updated by the player at 03:49, Thu 01 June 2006.

Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 142 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Wed 31 May 2006
at 04:17
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power

Darwin nodded, giving Horrace an unusually friendly smile - at least for Darwin.  He moved to the least expensive scrolls and began to inspect them, furrowing his brow as he read through the writing on all of them, seeking the Mage Hand spell. He shakes his head twice, as these allegedly simple spells seem difficult for him to place. He wonders if he has been too much worried about adventuring, at the expense of his studies. [PRivate to Dungeon Master:
00:10, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 30 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 5 - Level Zero.
00:10, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 22 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 4 - Level Zero.
00:10, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 15 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 3 - Level Zero.
00:09, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 24 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 2 - Level Zero.
00:09, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 19 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 1 - Level Zero.
]

After that, he moves on to the next level of spells, carefully inspecting them, hoping to find what he needs. A spell of identification.  Though he doubts he will, as those scrolls are usually more expensive. Nevertheless, he is intrigued to find out what scrolls Horrace has on hand. [Private to Dungeon Master:
00:14, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 33 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 5 - Level One.
00:14, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 28 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 4 - Level One.
00:14, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 21 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 3 - Level One.
00:14, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 28 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 2 - Level One.
00:13, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 24 using 1d20+14. Spellcraft Scroll 1 - Level One.
]

Finally, Darwin knits his brow and goes back to examine the two scrolls that initially stymied him. [Private to Dungeon Master: 00:16, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 30 using 1d20+14. Reroll Scroll 3 - Level Zero.
00:16, Today: Darwin Amblecrown rolled 19 using 1d20+14. Reroll Scroll 1 - Level Zero.
]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 279 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 1 Jun 2006
at 03:57
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Morning
Stormy



Afer several moments of study you determined that the least expensive scrolls consisted of two scrolls of Prestidigitation, a scroll of Mage Hand, and two scrolls of Light.  The more expensive scrolls consisted of a Magic Missile, a Jump, an Animate Rope, a Guided Shot, and a Protection From Chaos.

Horrace looks on with interest hoping he has salvaged a sale.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 143 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Thu 1 Jun 2006
at 04:42
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin looked up from the scrolls with a slight smile and even ventured a wink at Horrace, something unusually light-hearted from the studious young mage. "Horrace, my friend, I'd like to purchase three scrolls this day."

He reached for his coin pouch as he continued. "Alas, these three will not add up to the cost of the pearl," he said, taking up the scrolls of Prestidigitation and Mage Hand. "But don't worry, I'm sure you will be parting me from my money again soon enough."

Darwin counted out the money and paid the shopkeeper.
Horrace
 NPC, 12 posts
 Hin Shopkeeper
Fri 2 Jun 2006
at 03:44
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Tis better than nothing." Horrace said trying to keep the disappointment from his voice.  A happy customer was a repeat customer his pops had always told him.  "Good luck with your puzzle Master Amblecrown." he said seeming to know something about why you sought what you did.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 144 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Mon 5 Jun 2006
at 14:32
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin raised an eyebrow at Horrace's bidding him good luck. He gradually smiled. "I see news travels fast in Rosewood," he said with a laugh. <green>"No matter how boring it may be ..."  There was a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Darwin proceeded to make his way out of the building.  He had thought to head right to the camp, but decided working in a tent in the pouring rain would only make things harder.

"Back to the inn, then, Cyrus," he said with a sigh as he turned to follow the route he had taken earlier, this time going in the reverse direction.

Back at the inn, he headed up to the room the Guardians had shared, presuming it was still available.  Once there, he let Cyrus out to play and roam, while he focused on the shell once more.  He placed it in the center of the table and unfurled the scroll of Prestidigitation.  He slowly and carefully read the spell.  A moment later he focused on the shell, trying to channel the simple magical energies of the cantrip into a magical effect that would open the shell.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 288 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 5 Jun 2006
at 16:28
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Mid Morning
Stormy



As Darwin cast the spell of Prestidigitation the halves of the shell slowly openned to reveal a perfect, gleaming white pearl.  Outside the rain is beginning to lessen as the storm appears to be raining itself out.

Congratulations!  The key was that any wizard could open it meaning that the spell must be from the Universal school to which no specialist is denied access.  There is more to learn about your new toy but hey, at least you have it open.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 145 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 6 Jun 2006
at 14:27
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin grinned as the oyster opened up to reveal the pearl.  He focused on it further, willing it to close.  He knew that the effects of this spell would last a good deal longer, so he assumed it would allow him an hour or so to manipulate the shell.

His smile grew as he saw that the weather had improved. It was time to make his way to Fulgar's camp and to find Eloranth.  With the extra scroll he'd purchased, he would be able to demonstrate his knowledge of the oyster's workings once more today.

"Come on, Cyrus," Darwin said, sounding almost like a young boy he was so filled with pride and glee.  The rat scurried over to hop on for another ride.

This time, as he headed toward the camp under clearing skies, there was a noticeable spring in Darwin's step.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 295 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 6 Jun 2006
at 18:11
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Noon
Overcast and Muggy



Darwin's timing could not have been better.  Though the sky remained completely overcast as he strode north down the beaten trail the weather cleared and the raindrops stopped falling.  A hawk circled overhead as the young mage made his way toward Fulgar's encampment.  Upon arriving he was shocked to find the stone wall now reached the tops of the cliffs that surrounded the encampment on the three other sides.  Fulgar's encampment was now completely enclosed.  A long piece of woven cord dropped along the outside of the wall from the top where it was attached to a large brass bell.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 146 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Tue 6 Jun 2006
at 23:10
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Darwin's eyebrows rose as he examined this "new construction."  In the same time it had taken him to figure out how to make a simple shell open, others (presumably Eloranth and Willow, mainly) had built a massive fortification to Fulgar's camp.  He peered at the work, curious as to how it might have been done so quickly and effectively. Magic of some sort, no doubt. [Private to Dungeon Master: Spellcraft 19 - Sometimes it seems like I just can't get a truly good Spellcraft roll despite that mod. *L*]

He looked up and noticed the bell at the end of the string. He shrugged, then reached for the cord to sound the bell.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 300 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 8 Jun 2006
at 01:23
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Noon
Overcast and Muggy



The bell rang, but it did not.  Far above the bell swung from side to side but no sound could be heard.  Several moments passed before a grating rumble began to shake the ground.  Fearful that the wall may be collapsing Darwin took a step back just in time to see select stones extend themselves from the wall creating a stairway that worked it's way up from left to right.  When they finished moving they extended a mere two feet from the wall, plenty of room to walk but unnerving none-the-less without handholds and the prospect of them sliding back into the wall at any moment.
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 147 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Thu 8 Jun 2006
at 01:33
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
"Quite impressive," Darwin said as the last stone settle into place. "I suppose I really must go up ..."

With that, Darwin carefully put a foot on the first step and began to work his way upward.  He moved slowly.  He had never been much for heights, having spent most of his young life on the flat coast, which had been decidely lacking in elevation.  He focused on the task at hand, not looking down for certain, but not really looking up either.  He made his way up the magical staircase as best he could.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:34, Thu 08 June 2006.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 302 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 8 Jun 2006
at 14:18
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power
Kythorn 29, 1373DR
Noon
Overcast and Muggy



Th height and precariousness of the climb was daunting to be sure but Darwin boldly made his way up the stairs to the top where he was greeted by Eloranth.  The wall that had already been constructed was apparently to serve as the foundation for a much greater structure as an axpansive floor/roof spread over the entire area from the wall all the way to the three sides of the natural rock enclosure below.  Had one not known there was not solid ground beneath they'd have no reason to expect it.

"Come, let us go inside from this dreadful weather."  Eloranth said the numerous rings on her fingers sparkling in sunshine that didn't shine.  Though the rain had stopped the air was still oppressively muggy.  Eloranth led Darwin down another staircase that disappeared into the floor that led to the room in her tower that he had previously visited.  "So tell me Darwin, have you come flush with new knowledge?"
Darwin Amblecrown
 player, 148 posts
 Yon wizard has a lean
 and hungry look
Fri 9 Jun 2006
at 12:50
Re: Darwin Amblecrown - The Propogation of Power

Darwin forced a smile as he reached the top, trying to hide his nervousness from Eloranth as soon as he saw her.  He stepped off the stairway to rest his feet on the impressively solid "floor" beneath his feet.

"That would be most agreeable," Darwin said. "The walk in this damp air has left me nearly as wet as would be had it rained."  He readily followed her into the tower, a bit more comfortable in these surroundings than he had been before.

He met her eyes after she asked her question, and his smile grew wider and much less forced. "I believe I have Eloranth," he said. "I believe I have. Allow me to demonstrate."

Darwin plucked the shell from his pocket and set it before him.  He reached to his scroll case and unfurled the second scroll with the minor cantrip that created a variety of effects.  Slowly and deliberately, he read the inscription.  A moment later, he focused on the shell once more and magically pushed it to open.

As Darwin worked, Cyrus appeared, popping out of the pack to regard Eloranth with a quizzical but friendly look in his dark, beady eyes.