A Relative Calm.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: archive 0
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 335 posts
 Sultry seductress
Sat 9 Sep 2006
at 14:01
The confession
As Peter spoke, Antoine could feel the rage building inside of her.  The young man who Antoine had thought as a friend had deceived her and if that was not bad enough, the admission that the circlet was devised by Jaerod for *his* lost love made matters much worse.  Furious, Antoine raised her hand and slapped Peter hard across the face, causing a slight flutter of wings from the bird who had perched on his shoulder.  "Bastard!" she yelled.

She looked as though she would run Peter through with her sword there and then (or even worse if no-one was around).  Instead, Antoine turned on her heels and stomped off away from him and the approaching Serol, heading towards the path north out of town.

[Private to Dungeon Master: As you can gather, Antoine is furious and just wants her own company for the time being.  She will wait outside of the town for the guardians to join her on the trip to the mines and so is not going far.]
Peter Aubary
 player, 268 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Sat 9 Sep 2006
at 20:05
Re: The confession

As Antoine struck him Peter was once more the meek scholar who had travelled far to come to Rosewood. It had all become some terrible nightmare. He had become a murderer and now he had deceived his friends and stolen the hopes of another man and his lost love.

He had been full of dreams and good intentions. Most of all he’d wanted to see as much of the world with his own eyes and learn of all its secrets. He was a foolish boy unworthy of the praise the people of Rosewood and the other Guardians heaped on him. He had been no aid in the last battle against the giant and he felt he would be no aid in the future.

He hand reflectively went to his stung cheek and covered the growing red mark. He had no thought to follow Antoine as she fled, so caught in his own melancholy. What could he offer her now? He had so desperately wanted to help her. He could not imagine what it was like to be afflicted with lycanthropy or how it had changed Antoine. It was with this desperation that he leaned against the nearby wall and slowly slid to the ground his hand never leaving his face.
Serol Kinspar
 player, 369 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Sat 9 Sep 2006
at 21:47
Re: The confession
Serol saw it all, he proably should have been shocked, yet he was not.  Peter played a dangerous game and it seemed as if it had come crashing about him.  Now Antione was in danger and he could do nothing as she stalked off towards the path out of town.  He did not know where she went but where ever it was she would go there alone; but not if he could help it.

He crossed the distance between Peter and himself not asking for, nor needing an explination.  He knew what had happened, or near about.  "Peter," he said in his baratone voice to the scholar who had collapsed in self pitty and doubt, "now is not the time!  There will be time for regret, I promise.  But if no action is taken the cost may yet be worse."

His strides took him into the stableyard of the Red Rose inn, "My horse.  I need her saddled now." he said it perhaps too forcefully but this had not been a day where he could afford to lament such things.

He turned to the scholar to see if he had yet heeded his advice, he knew that Antione would run.  She had been faced with a fight or flight situation, it spoke of the goodness in her that she had chosen flight.  In his armor he knew he'd not catch her on foot, who knows if she were now running with two legs or four, or if she retained the ability to do so.  Regardless, he would need to rely on his horse and his meager tracking abilities if he was to be of any aid in helping Antione see the whole of things.

"Find the others," he said to Peter while waiting for his horse.  "There was a battle had by me in Goldy's forge.  Dorn should see it, give him my appologies I came upon it too late to stop the largest damage.  I will attempt to aid Antione."
Bran
 player, 4 posts
Sun 10 Sep 2006
at 14:19
Re: The confession

Bran was without the confusion in his mind that Peter suffered. He shook his wings at the sight of the big armoured man but sensed from Peter that he was a friend. Bran hopped from foot to foot, he did not knowing exactly what had transpired in the past but he could tell Peter was distraught and that this big man sought to help him.

With a nod of his bill to the cleric the raven lifted into the air and flew north to follow the woman Peter had called Antoine. Before he was out of sight of the big man he landed on the roof of a cottage and called to big man.

Kronk kronk

There he waited for the man to follow and then he took to the air once more guiding the man to the fleeing woman.
Peter Aubary
 player, 269 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Sun 10 Sep 2006
at 14:20
Re: The confession

The sight of Serol was a both a blessing and a curse to Peter. All at the same time he was glad he was not alone and ashamed that he had been found in his misery on the floor. Without a word to Serol he sat up on his haunches rubbed his head and stood up. He was still miserable but did not want to be a further burden on his companion Serol. A whispered okay was the only recognition Peter gave to the cleric that he would heed his plain advice.

He then turned and re-entered the Red Rose Inn grimacing as the now familiar chant “Welcome ye in to the Red Rose Inn, where the ale is cold and the soul is bold!”.
To Dorn and Ramor all he said was.

”Serol had a battle at the smithy, he apologised for the damage. We should investigate.”
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 289 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Sun 10 Sep 2006
at 15:13
Re: The Dream
Mayor Hawthorne:
"That's all there is to it.  Sometimes I see the whole thing, other times just pieces or parts."  The Mayor finally leaned back into his chair where his fingers ran roughly through his thinning hair.  "You dwarves, and you Dorn, you think this dream of my ancestor bears importance?"


Dorn rubbed his chin. His eyes focused on the mayor as if debating if he should order another mug of ale or not. "We dwarves do put importance on our visions. Moradin and his host sometimes use dreams to send us a message of importance. They might not be in the vision directly but might use one of our ancestors..."

The dwarf looked up as Peter interrupted. He have a short nod before he turned back to the Mayor. "Me thinks we should talk about dis again. Ye may have been touched by the gods. The question is which one."

"Ye have to excuse me mayor. I'd better check out Goldy's forge."
Dorn finished the last of his ale and prepared to lead the way to the Forge. He hadn't extended an invitation to Ramor since it wasn't necessary or expected.
Mayor Hawthorne
Mon 11 Sep 2006
at 05:37
Out of Rosewood
"A battle!?  At Goldy's place?"  The Mayor was out of his seat and headed out the door even before Dorn, Peter and Ramor.




Dnae was quickly saddled and readied for riding.  While some of Rosewood still distrusted the priest of Kossuth, the stablehands had come to appreciate both his generousity and choice of horses.  From a nearby cottage, the strange raven that handed landed upon Peter's shoulder without warning called for Serol to follow him.




The Mayor, Peter, Dorn and Ramor arrived at the Firehammer Smithy to find the stout front door laying on the ground as a pile of oaken planks and rusty dust.  The rust monster lay dead in the middle of the shop surrounded by the awful destruction it had wrought.  Little remained of the weapons and armor that once overflowed from bins, shelves and racks.  Piles of rust-colored dust were everywhere bathing the entire forge and shop in an orangish-red hue.

"By Moradin's Hammer!" said the Mayor, a mix of shock and empathy for Goldy ringing in his words.  He could do little other than simple stare around the shop for several long moments.  "There's nothing else we can do...  I'll have someone board up the shop until Goldy returns."  He kicked a foot through a pile of rust absent-mindedly.  "You all should be after Serol, he looked to be in a hurry.  There'll be another time to discuss my dream."




Serol followed the mysterious raven who patiently led Serol to Antoine who was brooding by herself in the wilderness north of Rosewood, but still close enough to see the ruined Firehammer Smithy and the other Guardians following Dorn who tracked Dnae north.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:44, Tue 12 Sept 2006.

Ramor ibn Adnan
 player, 50 posts
Mon 11 Sep 2006
at 12:50
Re: Out of Rosewood
It had been a morning full of delays, in the wizard's mind.  After his normal routine, and getting a little more acquainted with the Guardians over breakfast, he was excited about the proposition to use his magic on a group of gnolls.  Ever since, one interruption after another had separated the group and left them disorganized and distracted from killing gnolls.  Ramor was glad that the large preist was unharmed, and sad over the loss of some person's livelihood, but he had some difficulty in hiding his exasperation.

At least the Mayor and his dream story held some promise.  Ramor had always been interested in visions and dreams, as so few people had them, and this seemed like a legitimate case.  Then another interruption.

He walked after the Guardians, hiding his displeasure, and put things into perspective - he was invited to be here, invited to root out the gnolls, and all of the tensions of the group that led to the interruptions were certainly important to them.  And if it was important to them, he thought he could find it in himself to at least make it more significant than it was to himself.  Is that what 'friends' do? Ramor really didn't know.
Serol Kinspar
 player, 370 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Mon 11 Sep 2006
at 13:04
Re: Out of Rosewood
Serol nodded gratefully to the stable hand who gave him the reigns to his horse.  "Thank you." he said earnestly for the man's swiftness, "May the Blessings of the Firelord be upon you."

He placed a foot in the stiurup and swung himself into her saddle.  He did not know how successful he would be in tracking Antione, especailly from horseback.  But the strange behavior of the raven was hard to miss.  It seemed to be moving in the direction Antione had and strangely waiting for him before flying off again.

After only a few moments of confirmation he came to the conclusion that the bird truely was leading him to Antione.  Riding Dnea quickly, but not at a run he nearly stumbled upon the young rogue before he could slow his horse.

He did not know how approachable she might be towards himself or anyone but his care for her bid him onward even though the wiser part of him urged caution.  He nearly leaped from his saddle giving Dnae her command word to stay.

He still wore the bloodied leather apron, but he was unarmed and clearly meant no threat towards Antione.  He opened his mouth but he could not find the words that did not sound hollow even in his own head: "Are you alright?"  "How are you?"  "I saw what happened..." He knew the answer to the first two and paused on the third.  Instead he simply closed his mouth and made his way closer to her in silence allowing her the first word.  She was hurt and vunerable, this he countered with compassion and caring, yet he braced himself for... well, anything.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:07, Mon 11 Sept 2006.

Antoine D'Marque
 player, 336 posts
 Sultry seductress
Mon 11 Sep 2006
at 13:37
Re: Out of Rosewood
Antoine had not gotten far out of Rosewood before her run had turned into a jog and then a halt.  A nearby large boulder just off the beaten track proffered itself as a makeshift seat which she took in exasperation.  Her mind was awash with a number of emotions, anger, dispair, excitement and resentment.  All sensations were vying for top spot yet none were winning.  She wrestled with this for only a short period of time before the armoured form of Serol approached.  Antoine hadn't hidden herself from view and so the priest was able to locate her easily.  As he approached, she wasn't exactly sure what to say and as it appeared as though Serol was about to speak, she just looked at him without expression.
Peter Aubary
 player, 270 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Mon 11 Sep 2006
at 16:15
Re: Out of Rosewood
Peter ducked out of the way as Hawthorne rushed past him and onto Goldy’s forge. It was a fortunate distraction as his cheek was still flushed pink from Antoine’s blow. The quick actions of the others stirred Peter into action and he followed them back out onto the street and to the smithy.

In the forge the scholar looked at the battered corpse of the rust monster and sighed. It had caused untold damage to Goldy’s forge. But before he had time to examine the monster or the destruction it had caused he was whisked off again up the street and toward Serol and Antoine.

”They’ve stopped not far outside of town.”

Peter uttered before he realised what he had said, though upon reflection he was sure it was true. Somehow he could tell the excitement of the chase was over to be replaced by the nervousness of a possible confrontation.
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 290 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Mon 11 Sep 2006
at 17:56
Re: Out of Rosewood
Dorn had to move quickly to keep up to the Mayor. He moved surprisingly fast, but then he did have longer legs than the stout dwarf. He gasped as he saw the destruction inside the Smith. The bane of all dwarvencraft laid dead in the middle of the room.

The dwarf didn't hear the Mayor's verbal remark, though he will recall it at a later time. He shook his head slowly. Goldy would not be happy when he returned from his clan.

He was able to find Serol and Antoine just north of town. The horse left deep prints in the soil. Dorn didn't bother to stop as he continued to get closer to the duo.

When he got close enough, he called out. "What's ye hurry? Thought we were all gonna go together. Why did ye run off like that?"
Serol Kinspar
 player, 371 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Mon 11 Sep 2006
at 20:14
Re: Out of Rosewood
I've got a bit of a head start on Dorn, so I'm going to pre-empt him a little bit and pretend like I spoke to Antione first.

Serol's heart broke a little bit when he saw the pain and anguish on Antione's face.  She looked at him with those eyes, eyes that had once sparkled with joy and life.  He knew she was waiting for him to speak he opened his mouth to do so but found he had to choke them out over the lump in his throat.

He made his way closer then knelt down beside her.  When he spoke it was soft and comforting "I can only guess at what you're feeling, Antione.  I know you feel like you're all alone and even those you trusted are turning on you.  I have never done anything but treasure you, my dear.  I have put my life on the line defending you from all enemies both outside of Rosewood and within; I know you know this.  I would do this again, without hessitation.  No matter how alone you feel, know I would be at your side if the whole of the Nine Hells were bearing down upon us."
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 337 posts
 Sultry seductress
Mon 11 Sep 2006
at 20:46
Re: Out of Rosewood
For the sake of continuity, I'll assume Serol reached me just before the others too but will use a little poetic licence to incorporate Dorn's question.  We could then be all together!

"Guess what I'm feeling?  Even I don't know how I feel."  She was too angry to cry.  "Why did he do it Serol?  Why?  I trusted him and he let me down.  Not only that, but now Jaerod has been dragged into our little storyline and was about to tell the whole bar about my..."  The words trailed off as Antoine looked over Serol's shoulder to see Dorn, Peter and Ramor approaching up the path.  Silently, she waited for their arrival and was suprised to hear Dorn speak first and not only that, but about something other than what had just transpired.

"Why don't you ask Pierre, Dorn.  He will tell you why I am here and not in the bar!"
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 291 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Tue 12 Sep 2006
at 00:15
Re: Out of Rosewood
Dorn turned to the scholarly young man. The dwarf had an obvious frown on his face. He didn't know the nature of the conflict between Antoine and Peter.

"Ye be involved in dis, Peter?" His two hands were balled up in fists and rested on his waist. "Come on, then."

Dorn looked back at Antoine. It seemed that she was almost in tears. If dis be a lover's quarrel, then I'm gonna leave them both in Rosewood to figure dis out. I be better off with the gnolls than between two angry lovers.
Serol Kinspar
 player, 372 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Tue 12 Sep 2006
at 02:33
Re: Out of Rosewood
Serol did not know how he was to talk to Antione with everyone around.  Everyone but Ramor knew of Antione's curse, but he didn't know how many knew of her discovery of the circlet.  He would do what he could to keep her confidence between she and himself.

It was a most akward situation one that could become volitile and Serol knew it.  Had he been alone with Antione he might have been able to comfort her, but now such an action might only insight her anger or worse she might again come to blows with Peter.  The emotions were tight and the situation dangerous.

Seeking to difuse the situation as best could be allowed Serol said, "Perhaps it might be best if Peter did explain while I speak with Antione." it would never have been something he would suggest but as it had been Antione herself he thought he might get more milage agreeing with her and hoping to help her see the root cause of Peter's manipulation.  It was not done out of spite or desire to harm her, quite the oppisite.  But he knew that Peter saying so would only put her on the defensive.
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 338 posts
 Sultry seductress
Tue 12 Sep 2006
at 07:35
Re: Out of Rosewood
Talking was something that Antoine was just not interested in at the moment.  There were too many emotions bubbling at the surface and she could not be sure which one would come to the top if any intense conversation happened.  A blip of reality then seeped through which Antoine felt.  This inner voice told her two things, one) 'just shutup' and two) 'take it out on the gnolls.  You'll feel better for it.'

Taking a deep breath and breathing out, Antoine spoke a little more calmly than before and shook her head.  "It's fine.  Forget it.  It's just Jaerod...that's all..."  The rogue slung her pack on her shoulder, picked up her bow and made to move back to the main road.  "The day moves on and we have a gnoll party to crash!  Dorn, lead us onto their location and let them feel the guardians wrath!  I feel the need to slay some ugly dogs!"

[Private to Dungeon Master: Managed to tie in everyone's arrival and now RP'd an excuse to get us moving again.  We've been dialoguing for too long!  It's been a lot of RP fun but it's time to kick butt *wink*]

This message was last edited by the player at 07:37, Tue 12 Sept 2006.

Peter Aubary
 player, 271 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Tue 12 Sep 2006
at 08:37
Re: Out of Rosewood
Peter took a step back from the fearsome dwarf Dorn. Peter knew he had betrayed all his friends trust in him but he had done it with the best intentions. After the defeat of the giant spider and Antoine first transformation the pair of man and dwarf had seen eye-to-eye on this and together had sought to protect and aid Antoine. With this thought Peter looked Dorn directly in the eye. The words were slow to come and all he managed to stammer by the time Antoine interrupted him was I would never act to hurt any of you please trust me Dorn.

With Antoine action the tension eased but Peter worried he had created a rift between himself and the other Guardians. He wondered if they could ever overcome it or would it destroy them. He was very close to abandoning them at that point but something forced him to follow them to the mines. Later he could only surmise that the Guardians of Rosewood was bigger than him or any of them.
Ramor ibn Adnan
 player, 51 posts
Tue 12 Sep 2006
at 14:46
Re: Out of Rosewood
It was obvious that Ramor was still on the outside of this group of friends, and he felt it as keenly now as he had yesterday.  He knew that they were making a cordial effort to include him, and he appreciated the gestures, but it would take a while for them to warm up to him and let him in on whatever was going on.  There was a lot boiling beneath the surface that spoke of past events and strained relationships that Ramor could see, but was definitely excluded from.

He stood casually and well behind Dorn, trying not to intrude on the situation.  His black cloak rustled around his boots as the wind blew, and he hugged it tighter to himself.  It was cold in the North.

At the mention of the gnolls, Ramor grabbed the opportunity to keep momentum moving in that direction.  With a spring in his step, and before anyone else could continue in their stalling conversations, he moved forward through the group to follow after Antoine.

"Another battle awaits, gentlemen, and I am not one to pass on quickly ridding the world of gnolls."
Serol Kinspar
 player, 373 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Tue 12 Sep 2006
at 23:10
Re: Out of Rosewood
Serol nodded.  If Antione did not feel yet comfortable for his aid, he would not force it upon her.  The important part was that she simply understand she was not alone and he would be there for her.  She would find him, perhaps, when she needed him.  Or at the very least he could offer again.

He gave Peter a sympathetic look that he hoped convey a message similar to "Do not dispair, things may not be as bad as you yet think."  How much the scholar understood from that simple unspoken communication was yet to be seen.

He swung again into Dnae's saddle and gently urged his warhorse in the direction Dorn now lead them, his mind was now turned to the strange bird that had lead him virtually all of the way here.  He tried to get the bird's attention and held out his hand trying to befriend it.

I know that the bird has some tie to Peter, perhaps a familiar, perhaps something else.  But for all Serol knows it's a rather helpful raven.  I rolled one hell of an animal empathy, so I immagine it might even affect a fimiliar.

19:03, Today: Serol Kinspar rolled 8 using 1d20+2. Critical Success.
19:02, Today: Serol Kinspar rolled 22 using 1d20+2. Animal Empathy.

Total Animal Empathy: 30

This message was last edited by the player at 23:10, Tue 12 Sept 2006.

Dorn Rockfist
 player, 292 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Wed 13 Sep 2006
at 00:14
Re: Out of Rosewood
The dwarf knew that Peter had not hurt Antoine physically. There were no obvious wounds, but not all wounds are physical. Dorn leaned closely to Peter and spoke briefly before he passed. "There be no blood, aye. If ye have suspicions, then talk ta me 'bout them."

Dorn had to run in order to catch up to Antoine. "Yea girl. Don't ye run off that fast. Ye donna know the way." The dwarf wondered silently about Antoine's affliction. So far it had not reared it's ugly head. So far.
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 339 posts
 Sultry seductress
Wed 13 Sep 2006
at 06:52
Re: Out of Rosewood
Antoine looked down at Dorn as he approached her and subconsciously slowed to the dwarf's pace.  "Aye," she replied mimicking him.  "I'm keen to get to these mines of yours and see what kind of mess they're in.  Tell me Dorn," in an attempt to shift her thoughts to other matters, "What should we expect to see when we get there?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 572 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 13 Sep 2006
at 08:23
Re: Out of Rosewood
Continued at Return to the Firehammer Ruins:  link to a message in "3.5 DnD - Guardians of Rosewood"
Bran
 player, 5 posts
Wed 13 Sep 2006
at 10:45
Re: Out of Rosewood
Bran was pleased with him self for reuniting the Guardians and if a bird could look it he was rather smug. An extraordinary bird he was often very attentive of what was happening around him about always attempted to ignore any direct contact.

It was when he was playfully turning circles on the air than the big cleric named Serol put his hand out invitingly. At first he ignore the man but finally his own curiosity got the better of him. He finished with a somersault in the air before he landed gently on the outstretch limb.

Attracted by bright and shiny things he tapped his bill enquiring against the holy symbol that hung at Serol’s neck.

[Private to Serol Kinspar: Bran’s intelligence is too high for animal empathy a straight diplomacy roll would probably be more appropriate. I’m happy to leave things here for the moment or if you want to add anything I’ll continue too. ]

This message was last edited by the player at 10:46, Wed 13 Sept 2006.

Serol Kinspar
 player, 375 posts
 Firey temper, pleasant
 speaking voice
Wed 13 Sep 2006
at 21:46
Re: Out of Rosewood
Serol smiled at the bird, "You like Kossuth, my little friend?  Indeed you are a fine bird.  Perhaps should you choose to stick around you might hear me tell all about the Firelord." his tone was pleased but held a bit of mischief knowing (or at least thinking he knows) the bird can not understand his words he rummaged through his pack and broke off a few crumbs from one the heels of bread contained in his iron rations and set them in his open palm should the bird wish to take them.