Return to the Firehammer Ruins.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Peter Aubary
 player, 367 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Mon 1 Jan 2007
at 20:38
Re: Hasty Preparations
Peter mused over his discovery, so Sir Walter Hawthorne explained the mayor’s dream and the reason for the presence of the House of Lathander in Rosewood. Peter wondered who the Druid of the River was but decided that it would likely be unproductive to search further along that track.

It was documented that Ithanis had been destroyed but not what had become of any dragon. The thought of the foul necromancer’s demise cheered the scholar and he took a moment to consider the deadly rod that still existed to remind the world of evil mage’s legacy. It appeared magic though created by the power of mortals was able to last forever. This was the sort of evidence Peter had always been in search of though he wished it could have been found in better circumstances.

What struck the scholar next was the prominence of the great holy warriors that had always defended Rosewood. First it was Sir Walter and then Sir Edwin, who was now here to safeguard the people. Peter’s thoughts turned to Serol, the faithful cleric had to be restored to health if Rosewood would survive.

With an urgency the scholar stepped from his desk thanked the acolytes and made his way to check upon the other Guardians.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 715 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Tue 2 Jan 2007
at 03:01
Re: Hasty Preparations
Flamerule 9, 1373DR
Late Afternoon
Four Days until Fulgar Releases the Dragon



Private Chapel - Temple of Lathander (Dorn & Peter)
The acolytes bid Peter farewell and bestowed the blessings of Lathander upon him through audible prayers.  Peter travelled the temple complex with a familiarity borne of his time spent there under the protection of the Dawnbringer and soon found himself within Tristan's private chapel with Dorn, the Dawnbringer, and Serol's body.

"I wish there was more I could do but I do not yet hold Lathander's full esteem."  The priestess was lamenting, her lower lip puffy and red from a nervous chewing.  "I must know, what evil is at work in our town?  I sense a great evil building here, one unlike I've not felt before yet its source eludes me.  I thought perhaps the undead were not defeated after all and so I travelled to Bud, Lathander rest his soul, and Camille's farm and found nothing, no tinge of evil at all.  There is something else, a dark blanket threatens to suffocate me in my sleep each night, what do you know, have the Guardians learned anything?"
Dorn Rockfist
 player, 400 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Tue 2 Jan 2007
at 07:20
Re: Hasty Preparations
Dorn stared at the morninglord with dark eyes. There was a grave threat to the people of Rosewood. But if he spoke the truth, then any chance of surprise against Fulgar and the others would be lost.

"Serol fell to a magicked image of himself. We were checking the chambers of Goldy's mine when we stumbled on one of their defenses. It turned out that all of us had a magicked copy made. We fought until we bested them, but Serol fell."

The dwarf chewed his beard as he lowered his eyes. "I donna know what be troubling yer sleep. There is trouble at the mines, and we need Serol ta help with dat."

Dorn was relieved when Peter walked into the room. It gave him a chance to change the subject. "Peter. I donna know if there's time ta go south ta help Serol. Donna ye think that the morninglord can help us? What if ye give her the scroll?"
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 458 posts
 How do I pick locks with
 these things?
Tue 2 Jan 2007
at 08:43
Re: Hasty Preparations
As the door opened and Jaerod stepped out, Antoine gave him a half-smile before looking sheepishly at the floor.  To her it felt like an age before she was able to meet his gaze once more but in reality, it was mere seconds.  "I...I...needed to see you Jaerod," she began clumsily.  "I have...so many things to say to you, but do not know where to start."

Antoine too it seemed was struggling for words.  The rogue did not know where she would begin and did not plan any speech for their meeting beforehand.   Now that she faced the man who she knew was broken inside, words were harder than she thought they would be.  Opting instead for action, Antoine reached inside her pack and brought forth a most beautiful silver circlet encrusted with diamonds.  The young woman stepped forwards and handed the piece of jewellery to the mayor's son.

"I...know I have let you down lately and for that I am sorry.  However I have managed to come across this lovely circlet and I understand that you are it's proper owner."  Antoine gave another small smile and waited for Jaerod's response.
Ramor ibn Adnan
 player, 168 posts
Tue 2 Jan 2007
at 14:44
Re: Hasty Preparations
Today was not the day that Ramor wanted to play word games with a sly hin.  He leaned upon the flame-carved staff, carefully wrapping his burnt, tender hands around it.  He did not want to admit that the battle had left him as weary as it had, and that the staff had been more for support than anything else.  In this case, with the manifestation of his bloodline apparent on his tattooed hands and blackend fingernails, it should have left no doubt about the wizard's allegience to the Firelord.  He smiled his signature, sinister smile.  "Horrace, by all accounts you are a good proprietor of this establishment, and a friend to the Guardians of Rosewood.  My business here is my own, but by the Firelord's flaming beard, I have no time to dawdle and banter over what should be the execution of a simple service!" The Calishite leaned forward further, the wood of the staff crackling beneath his tightening grip.  "I return to Iraiebor to give my account to Vilthanus.  If he is not aware of my coming, you will be mentioned, and whether your services were procured with gold or by threat, I will see that you never see the former and that you do receive the latter!"

Standing straight, Ramor smiled a more gentle smile.  "Horrace, you've a fine place here.  My deeds and my actions are to preserve Rosewood at any cost, and by default that means this store.  And you.  Relay the message, and next time our dealings will be more pleasant.  For both of us."  Without waiting for a reply Ramor marched to the door, stopping to turn under the frame.  "Since you took no 'trouble' and I had to use more words than I intended, I will consider the gold a deposit for the beginning of my tab.  I plan on spending more when I return.  Good day, Master Horrace, and good fortune.  May the Firelord bless your business as he sees fit."
Peter Aubary
 player, 368 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Tue 2 Jan 2007
at 20:18
Re: Hasty Preparations
When Peter saw Dorn and Tristan holding their vigil over the body of Serol, Peter silently joined them. When Tristan spoke Peter was shocked by his own reaction. He trusted the Dawnbringer and knew that she would aid the Guardians if they requested it. Though no a man of faith like Serol or Tristan the scholar knew that it would be safe to tell the priestess all. He would not do so though. He was forced to keep hidden much that they knew; he did this to protect the Dawnbringer and the temple. Who ever knew what the Guardians knew would being putting themselves in danger.

Peter hoped Dorn’s response would be enough to sate the cleric’s curiosity and he stepped forward as he retrieved the scroll from his pack. He welcomed the chance to change the subject and to discuss the magic embedded in the scroll with the Dawnbringer. ”Here I have spent some time studying it, they are a few enigmas that puzzle me but given time I’m sure I could unravel them. What of you?” He passed the scroll for her examination. As his hands touched hers the distance he had tried to place there was lost and he spoke openly of his feelings. ”We all miss him dearly if they is any thing you can please say you will?”
Dungeon Master
 GM, 716 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 3 Jan 2007
at 04:35
Re: Hasty Preparations
Flamerule 9, 1373DR
Late Afternoon
Four Days until Fulgar Releases the Dragon



As the group is splitting up only briefly I'll just separate the action in one thread here

Horrace's General Store (Ramor)
The bell above the door to Horrce's store tinkered as Ramor departed.  A dumbfounded and for once over-matched hin stood behind the counter unable to find a proper response.


Jaerod Hawthorne's Home (Antoine)
Jaerod's face that had been an unpleasant mix of anger, loathing, and pity softened as Antoine presented the circlet.  "How in Faerun did you ever find this!?"  Dispensing with manners Jaerod hastily grabbed the sparkling piece of jewelry and held it protectively to his chest.

Then the expression hardened, this time without pity and and loathing.  Only anger remained.  "You.  You stole this and murdered the couriers!"  Why exactly Antoine would be returning it if that were the case was the furthest thing from his rage-clouded mind.  "You'll pay for this.  I'll hide your evil no longer, you will be unmasked as the vile creature you are!"

Jaerod's rapier was suddenly in his hand as he backed away from her.  "Father!  Father come quickly!"


Private Chapel - Temple of Lathander (Dorn & Peter)
The Dawnbringer listened to Dorn's tale, nodding along at the mention of the Firehammer wards.  The normally dour dwarf artfully twisted the conversation around upon itself and as Tristan accepted the rolled parchment from Peter her solemn expression turned to one of wonder and awe.  "This... this is incredible!  For such a potent, not to mention expensive spell to be scribed...  This...  You have found an incredible treasure Peter Aubary."

She paused again to read it, not believeing what she had found.  "Indeed, if you wish it I would be most honored to call forth its power to be used on Serol.  Know this however, while the spell returns a body to life the soul is forever damaged by the trauma.  Serol would be returned to you but weakened, possibly forever.  It is not a light decision, one that would best be made by all of the Guardians."
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 459 posts
 How do I pick locks with
 these things?
Wed 3 Jan 2007
at 11:45
Re: Hasty Preparations
Antoine did not offer any resistance as Jaerod snatched the circlet from her and she did not draw a weapon either.  Her emotion was sad as she knew that her plight had reminded the mayor's son of his own suffering.

"Please..." she said softly.  "I have made a terrible mistake and...I wish to...make amends for what I have done.  The circlet you hold was recovered from the body of a giant which roamed the area and I knew it belonged to you.  Please Jaerod...I want to...need to help you and maybe in turn it will also help me.

There is something I must do first but when I return in a few days, maybe I can try to find your lost love for you.  Make her see the error of her ways in the same way that the shadow has been lifted from my eyes.  Please..."


Antoine stood forlorn on the doorstep and hoped that her words would reach past Jaerod's anger.
Ramor ibn Adnan
 player, 169 posts
Wed 3 Jan 2007
at 19:37
Re: Hasty Preparations
Ramor walked calmly out of the general store, and tried to gain his bearings.  He was reasonably sure that he could make it back to the Morninglord's Temple on his own, and so began striding in that direction.  Why can't people just do as they're told! Do I have to think for everyone? This is exhausting.   There was too much to do, and not enough time left to do it.  For once, the wizard began doubting his own abilities to face the threat that lay before him, and wondered if he really did care about the outcome.  Evil undead dragons under the control of a megalomaniacal warrior and his harem? Surely it wouldn't take long before the threat was contained? The longer he thought about it, the more he wondered whether the mysterious Cult of the Dragon would think that Fulgar and his cronies were infringing upon their territory.  Perhaps they were involved? Not that it mattered, Ramor and the Guardians would handle the threat long before anyone else arrived on the scene.  Except the meddling Harpers.

Ramor kept himself from spitting on the ground at the thought of the Harpers.  They had done little to deter the Shadow Thieves of Amn from establishing a hidden enclave in Calimport.  Perhaps if they tried harder to do what they professed to do, his family would still be intact.  And this road of suffering far removed from him.  He arrived at the temple, and walked calmly into the small chapel area where his friend's body lay.  Peter and Dorn were speaking quietly to the Dawnbringer, so the wizard calmly walked over and stood behind them, leaning on the staff for support.  It had been a long walk.
Peter Aubary
 player, 369 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Wed 3 Jan 2007
at 20:28
Re: Hasty Preparations
Peter nodded agreement at the wise words of Tristan. ”I agree though we are pressed for time we should not rush into any thing without prior thought.” The scholar tried hard to consider what the astute cleric Serol would say if put on the spot. ”We shall ask the others on their return.” He stated before Ramor returned to the temple.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 717 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Thu 4 Jan 2007
at 04:14
Re: Hasty Preparations
Flamerule 9, 1373DR
Late Afternoon
Four Days until Fulgar Releases the Dragon



As the group is splitting up only briefly I'll just separate the action in one thread here

Jaerod Hawthorne's Home (Antoine)
Her words were not the stiff, harsh words of their last conversation.  Nor even of their first meeting.  Suddenly Jaerod realized something had indeed changed within Antoine, something profound, something that only the circlet could have done.  "You wore it." he said defeatedly holding the circlet between them.  "Its magic is gone, my inheritance is wasted, even if my love were to return to me we would have nothing to begin a life with."

Jaerod slumped to the steps on which he stood and hung his head.  "Go." he said softly.  "GO!" he shouted up at her waving his rapier in the air.  "Leave me!"  The creaking of floorboards within the house could be heard as someone approached the door from the other side.


Private Chapel - Temple of Lathander (Ramor, Dorn & Peter)
"Did you find all that you needed in the library?" Tristan asked breaking an awkward silence and speed up the return of Ramor and Antoine.  Just then Ramor appeared, weary and troubled by the crease in his brow.

"Let me have food and wine brought for you."  She looked to an acolyte who hovered near the door and he vanished to fulfill the request.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:14, Thu 04 Jan 2007.

Dorn Rockfist
 player, 403 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Thu 4 Jan 2007
at 07:12
Re: Hasty Preparations
"Ale. And bring some ale." Dorn called out to the acoltye that disappeared beyond the door.

The dwarf's blue eyes moved from Tristan to his companions. "Aye. It be best we talk about dis with Antoine too."

"Ramor. Wasn't she with ye?"

Antoine D'Marque
 player, 460 posts
 How do I pick locks with
 these things?
Thu 4 Jan 2007
at 07:46
Re: Hasty Preparations
Antoine had hoped that her words would have made Jaerod not only stay his blade but also help somewhat in mending a little of his heart.  After all, if she could be reclaimed then perhaps his love could be too?

A thousand words still bristled at the tip of Antoine's tongue, things she might say to him.  However now, she thought that none would help, at least not so soon after the return of the circlet.  Instead, she would return and promised herself that she would help him further if she could.

Silently, she left Jaerod on his doorstep with his emotions and thoughts for company whilst the rogue made her way back to the temple to join the others.  Serol had still to be helped and of course, there was a far greater urgent thing to deal with...
Peter Aubary
 player, 370 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Thu 4 Jan 2007
at 12:38
Re: Hasty Preparations
Remembering in manners Peter thanked the Dawnbringer for her generosity and remarked on how well kept the library was. He did not want to mention what he had been studying though as he felt safer if the Dawnbringer could not guess at what may befall Rosewood. The arrival of Ramor aided Peter so he did not need to formulate a lie and he thanked the wizard silently to himself.

”Food and wine would be most welcome Dawnbringer it has been a difficult day, yet as Lathander teaches a new day is always only one night away.” The revelation that Antoine was alone gave Peter pause for thought but not as much as it might have done before their discussion on the return to Rosewood. He believed that now she was on the right path and that she would find peace with herself.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:39, Thu 04 Jan 2007.

Dorn Rockfist
 player, 404 posts
 Dwarven Caver
 'What ye look'n at?'
Thu 4 Jan 2007
at 15:33
Re: Hasty Preparations
The dwarf shuffled his feet to the wall. There he began to remove his armor carefully. His battle scars from his last fight were still open and looked painful, but thankfully it did not bleed freely.

Oiy Dorn grimaced as he pulled the chain shirt over his head.

"Tristan. Might I trouble ye for some cloth and water. Me thinks me should tend to some of des wounds before they fester."
Ramor ibn Adnan
 player, 170 posts
Thu 4 Jan 2007
at 16:31
Re: Hasty Preparations
Ramor gave a nod of thanks to both the acolyte and the Dawnbringer for the offer of refreshments.  Even he could not remember when he had eaten last, and as if summoned, a low grumble issued from his belly.  The wizard sat down in the nearest pew, his muscles aching from the walk from the ruins and his stroll through town.  Realizing that he had ignored the dwarf, he blushed in embarassment and said, "My apologies, Master Rockfist, this day has been ard on us all.  Antoine left me at the hin's store and went her own way.  She did not say to where.  I am sure she will be here soon."

As the warrior removed his chain shirt to expose the wounds of the previous days' battles, the proud Calishite resisted asking for the same things from the Morninglord's church.  He tilted his head back and took in a deep breath.  He was strangely comfortable amongst these Guardians of Rosewood.  Safe.  He had not felt that way in a very long time.  "I have prepared my return to Iriaebor.  What help we might seek there for Kinspar will be enbroiled in politics.  I believe that I can convince the Eternal Flame for aid, and flush out an enemy of Kossuth all with the same breath."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 718 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Fri 5 Jan 2007
at 15:59
Re: Hasty Preparations
Flamerule 9, 1373DR
Late Afternoon
Four Days until Fulgar Releases the Dragon




Jaerod Hawthorne's Home
Antoine's silent departure went unnoticed by Jaerod or his father, Mayor Hawthorne, whose voice she heard behind her as he attempted to calm his anguished son.


Private Chapel - Temple of Lathander (Antoine, Ramor, Dorn & Peter)
The Dawnbringer looked with pride upon Peter who had quickly learned some basic tenets of her faith.  Her attention was pulled away by Dorn's request.  "Cloth and water?  Lathander's blessings can provide better than that."  Tristan swept across the floor toward Dorn, the silver hem of her robe sliding along the polished marble floors as she went.  Dorn's wounds were quickly healed by a spreading warmth like that of a midsummer sun on bare flesh.

A bowl of red apples like those from Bud's orchard was soon brought to the room with loaves of still-warm bread from the oven and several decanters of wine.  Once they were set upon the table for the Guardians and the acolytes that brought them retreated the Dawnbringer sought the Guardians' plans for their journey to Iriaebor.

Dorn is healed for 29hp.  Has there been any change or will the group delay departure until the morning?  Unless there's more questions for Tristan, or tasks to be accomplished I'm planning for my next post to get you on the road.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:04, Sun 07 Jan 2007.

Peter Aubary
 player, 371 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Fri 5 Jan 2007
at 20:48
Re: Hasty Preparations

Peter enjoyed the rest and the fresh food as the Guardians waited for the return of Antoine. ”Well we plan to arrive in Iriaebor as soon as possible; there we will take Serol to the temple of Kossuth. We have carriages arranged and hope the journey will be peaceful.” He remarked to Tristan pleasant as he crunched on the red apples.
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 461 posts
 How do I pick locks with
 these things?
Fri 5 Jan 2007
at 21:52
Re: Hasty Preparations
After a short while away, a little longer than Ramor, Antoine reappeared at the temple.  She still looked as though she was a troubled woman and yet managed a smile as she approached her friends.

"I am sorry if I have kept you all.  There was...something I needed to do before we leave for Iriaebor."

Antoine stood back from the group a little, her mind still in turmoil as she battled her own emotions and feelings.

OOC: Sorry for the relatively short post.  Wanted to make sure there was no doubt Antoine is back at the temple - my last post wasn't very clear in that respect.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 720 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Mon 8 Jan 2007
at 18:29
Early Morning Departure
Flamerule 10, 1373DR
Early Morning



The temple's aid was welcome but soon the Guardians found themselves yearning for the comfort of the Red Rose Inn and the solitude their private rooms granted.  Tristan offered to keep watch over Serol's body for the evening and without a good idea about what else to do with it the Guardians accepted and then departed for the inn.

Kendra's words would not be banished from their heads.  Fulgar, via Eloranth's and Willow's delving, would reach the dragon within days.  All could hear the imaginary rustle of falling snads of an hourglass in their minds as they sought sleep that night.

The morning came and Serol's presence was missed.  He was usually the first to wake in order to partake of his commune with Kossuth and then returned to rouse the others and then enlist their aid in donning Grintak's armor.  On this morning the Guardians awoke of their own accord without the gentle touch of Serol's hand upon their shoulder and jovial greeting that bore the blessing of the Firelord.  It was not a good night, and an even worse morning.

The horses and wagon were waiting when the Guardian's finally made it to the stables.  "Been ready since the last dinner." offered the stablemate "An elf said you'd be taking these last night.  Don't push them too hard today, they didn't get a proper night's rest."  The ruddy-faced pudgy man in his early twenties handed over the reins.

Several sacks of feed for the horses were stowed neatly in the back of the wagon beneath the spring-mounted driver's bench.  A pair of brown and white mottled mares were hitched to the wagon while a chestnut colored stallion with a white star marking on its forehead was saddled for a rider.  "Horses don't come cheap in these parts, ye owe that elf."  The stablemate's hand had subconsciously drifted to an overstuffed pouch on his belt where it rested protectively.  The stablemate looked on as the Guardians rode out of his stable and turned down the road toward the temple.

The wagon would not fit through the polished steel gates of Lathander's temple and so they were forced to leave it there under the care of the gate watchman.  Serol's body had been placed into a wooden casket over night to ease its transport but the lid was off so the Guardians could see their deceased friend.  The Dawnbringer was quiet and respectful speaking only the fewest words required and when the Guardians were satisfied that no harm had befallen the body the cover was on the casket and bound shut with several bands of hemp rope.  "May Lathander light your way." she said as the Guardians departed on their sobering journey.
Antoine D'Marque
 player, 464 posts
 How do I pick locks with
 these things?
Tue 9 Jan 2007
at 10:49
Re: Early Morning Departure
Antoine slept soundly that night, in fact, a bit more soundly than she had done for the last several nights.  When she woke, she felt a little refreshed and all the better for having a night in a warm bed and under a solid roof instead of under canvas.  Or curled up in a pile of leaves somewhere.  She shuddered at the thought.

The young woman took her time getting washed and dressed this morning.  The grime of the past few days had taken its toll on her skin and hair and it was the least she could do for Serol to make herself look reasonably presentable given the task ahead.  Donning her new (to her) leather armour, Antoine joined the others for a brief morning breakfast before setting out to collect Serol from the temple.

As the priests body was brought out to the cart, Antoine looked at Serol before inclining her head in both sadness and respect.  She dearly hoped that the Kossuth priesthood would be able to help their fallen comrade and that the time taken would not jeopardise the guardians aiding Kendra in a few days time.

Slowly, as the wagon set off for Iriaebor, Antoine looked behind her at the fading vision of Rosewood and hoped that the town would look the same when the guardians returned.
Peter Aubary
 player, 373 posts
 Corymrean Scholar
Tue 9 Jan 2007
at 20:45
Re: Early Morning Departure
Peter was nervous about the journey ahead but enjoyed the comfort of the now familiar surroundings of the Red Rose Inn. After a moment of further study and contemplation the scholar rested easy and slept well regardless of Dorn’s usual snoring.

Though he knew the Guardians would spend much of the day on the road he decided to dress smartly for their departure. It seemed fitting especially when Serol’s coffin was placed within the wagon it would be like a funeral procession. It was an uplifting experience and not a morose one though. There would be travelling to restore Serol to them and not to say their final farewells.

The young noble raised an eyebrow when he noticed that one of them must ride to Iriaebor while the rest travelled in the wagon. He watched as Antoine climbed aboard and he said a brief good bye to Tristan. ”We will travel with the seed of hope that Lathander has put in our hearts, thank you for taking care of Serol for us”

When it came to leave the scholar approached the lone stallion cautiously before reached his hands and petted him. ”Now you’re going to give me any trouble are you?” Not wanting to prolong the moment when he would have to mount the horse especially as he was in view of the residents of Rosewood he boldly held the reins and stepped into the saddle.
Bran
 player, 19 posts
Tue 9 Jan 2007
at 20:52
Re: Early Morning Departure
Bran had never travelled far from Rosewood and his rookery in the Sunset Mountains. The trip to Iriaebor would be an eye opener for the small bird. With his usual aloofness he remained apart from the others as they left Rosewood. Wheeling in the sky his kronk kronk could be heard through out the morning. When the surroundings began to change he soon became silent and glided down to rest upon the coffin that housed Serol’s body. He stood there nearly motionless much of the time after that, the bird wondered what exactly he had got himself involved in when he made his pact with Peter.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:52, Tue 09 Jan 2007.

Ramor ibn Adnan
 player, 173 posts
Tue 9 Jan 2007
at 21:08
Re: Early Morning Departure
Ramor slept deeply, scarcely able to remove his travel-stained clothes before his eyes closed.  He had not been so weary in such a long time, and he paused for only a moment with his head on the pillow to thank Kossuth for surviving the battle.  Remembering the spoils of the day, he forced himself to wakefulness, and drew out the elf-wizard's spellbook.  He would have more time to examine it on the road, and search its pages for secrets, but he knew that every second on the road counted, and every spell his mind held space for would be needed.  The words of the cantrip spewed out of his mouth as they had done a thousand times before, scarcely needing any volition whatsoever.  With his eyes able to see magical dweomers now, he looked over the spellbook, and satisfied with his findings, allowed himself to sleep.

His dreams were mild, and refreshing, and upon waking early he could only remember the scent of salt sea air and sunshine.  Still before dawn, he wizard pulled out his precious spellbook, and committed to memory the spells he thought most useful for the journey ahead.  Knowing that the snoring dwarf in the room next door was going to want to wear the armor they recovered yesterday, Ramor removed a pearl from his belt pouch, and spent an hour attempting to discover the magical properties of the suit.  With still an hour or more before dawn, the wizard carefully drew the flame-carved staff across his lap, and with another pearl divined its powers.  Yet again, Kossuth provided for his servant, and with an earnest prayer, the Calishite wizard held the staff close in gratitude.

The rays of the sun could yet be seen, the pre-dawn grey yet to break, and already the wizard's burnt hands were causing him pain.  If he didn't know better, he would think that the wood of the staff exacerbated the tender flesh.  The whole last day, since Serol's demise, had been lackluster - forced living, as Ramor viewed it.  Each step was taken because it had to be taken, each breath no more exciting or pleasant than the last, with the feeling of anti-climax permeating his very bones.  He noted with some distress that the usual feeling of ecstacy, or excitement, or pride that followed each casting of a spell had been overlooked or overshadowed by today's journey.  He cast another spell to protect himself against the dangers of the road, as he did each day.  Last, before laying the armor back in the dwarf's room, he drank two of his potions to restore his strength - Serol's healing hand was just not yet available.

The wagon was loaded, and Ramor sat in the seat with the dwarf, the elf-wizard's spellbook in his lap as they set out.  He said nothing.

Casting detect magic on the elf's spellbook to look for any traps, glyphs, etc. before going to sleep.  Memorized three identify spells, mage armor, and after yesterday, shield.  Cast two identify spells on the interlocking armor, and the staff, with one remaining for later.  Cast mage armor with the lesser metamagic rod of extend spell for a 28 hour effect now (yay!).  Last, drank two potions of cure light wounds.

16:09, Today: Ramor ibn Adnan rolled 2 using 1d8+1. Potion of CLW 2.
16:09, Today: Ramor ibn Adnan rolled 9 using 1d8+1. Potion of CLW 1 .



This message was last edited by the player at 21:12, Tue 09 Jan 2007.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 723 posts
 Blessing the Rolers
 Cursing the Rollers
Wed 10 Jan 2007
at 17:39
Re: Early Morning Departure
Continued in Rekindling a Flamelink to a message in "3.5 DnD - Guardians of Rosewood"