The Devil Box.   Posted by DM Tarkin.Group: archive 8
Schnicklegulp Stoneswiper
 player, 41 posts
 HP 20/20 AC n22 f16 t18
 In +2 Sv f+7 r+7 w+3
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 04:41
Re: The Devil Box
Stopping part way there, Schnickle almost jumped in fright as he came across a fallen dwarf, sudden worried that he'd been spotted. But he caught himself; the dwarf was injured or unwell, and a deep gnome could always rely on a dwarf.

Schnickle crept closer to the dwarf, and leaned close to his ear. He said softly in Dwarven "Hello? Do you need help or are you just drunk?"
DM Tarkin
 GM, 31 posts
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 04:53
Re: The Devil Box
The dwarf is unconscious. He appears to have suffered the same wounds as the people by the cart.
Schnicklegulp Stoneswiper
 player, 42 posts
 HP 20/20 AC n22 f16 t18
 In +2 Sv f+7 r+7 w+3
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 05:07
Re: The Devil Box
OOC: That would be red skin, swelling, etc?

"Look well, you do not."

The gnome frowned at the dwarf's injuries and symptoms, and tried to work out what might have caused them, and what he could do to help the dwarf.


OOC: Heal 14, ascertain injuries. Then see if needs either a healing potion or a patch-up from the healer's kit (Heal 11?). Obviously I'd prefer the cheaper option. :)
DM Tarkin
 GM, 32 posts
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 05:13
Re: The Devil Box
You think he might wake up if you managed to patch him up with the kit, a little blast from the smelling salts, etc.

Yes, his wounds are reddened skin, punctures, swelling, he is quite hot to the touch.
Caitlin o'Donnel
 player, 27 posts
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 18:45
Re: The Devil Box
"So, what were you telling my friend?" Caitlin said and looked to Quin then fixed the two small ones with a hard stare...

[Private to GM: Detect thoughts (SLA) on the katana halfpint. What's he thinking...]
Schnicklegulp Stoneswiper
 player, 43 posts
 HP 20/20 AC n22 f16 t18
 In +2 Sv f+7 r+7 w+3
Wed 25 Jun 2008
at 01:31
Re: The Devil Box
With not quite expert care, Schnickle set to work on patching the dwarf up and waking him. He suspected the poor dwarf could tell him something that the kobolds would not.
DM Tarkin
 GM, 33 posts
Wed 25 Jun 2008
at 06:20
Re: The Devil Box
The dwarfs begins to come around, his eyes open, looking up at you, he struggles to get up, "Bah, get away, what, who in the halls of Moradin are you?" He struggles to sit up against a tree and get his bearings.

[Private to Caitlin o'Donnel: the halfpint with the sword is wondering if the big people are going to kill him, after all, just learning to use the katana cost him a finger.]
Caitlin o'Donnel
 player, 28 posts
Wed 25 Jun 2008
at 08:06
Re: The Devil Box
Caitlin snarls at the halfling with the katana "That is a very dangerous weapon. Put it away before you cut off your own finger!" she didn't like him, in fact she didn't like most of the people she met, but that wasn't the problem right now. She wanted to hear the truth from them.

"So will one of you tell me the truth about what happened here, or will I have to resort to bugging the dwarf until he tells me?" the Illuskan said, guessing that both short ones wouldn't like to hear what the dwarf had to say.

[Private to GM: Continue to concentrate on reading the katana-halfling's thoughts.]
Schnicklegulp Stoneswiper
 player, 44 posts
 HP 20/20 AC n22 f16 t18
 In +2 Sv f+7 r+7 w+3
Wed 25 Jun 2008
at 09:24
Re: The Devil Box
Schnickle drew himself up to the proud height of three foot three and declared "A svirfneblin I am, and the one who saved your life. Now, tell me what happened to you, and what you know of kobolds... Or 'halflings'."


OOC: I don't think you know about the dwarf. Schnickle found him separately in a Private Line. I probably should have kept it private, but PL games usually bug me.
Quinlan Fairfellow
 player, 42 posts
 27/27 AC/FF/T 19/15/14
 Init +4 F/R/W: 5/10/1
Wed 25 Jun 2008
at 11:01
Re: The Devil Box
It's just the four of us. And to me it sounds like you could need the help, but if you rather have us on the way again...
Quinlan shrugs.
Loorn Bearhunter
 player, 32 posts
 HP 33/33, AC n19 f17 t12
 In +2 Sv f+10 r+7 w+6
Wed 25 Jun 2008
at 15:59
Re: The Devil Box
Loorn remained silent just using his size to look as intimidating as possible.
Raspit
 NPC, 6 posts
Fri 27 Jun 2008
at 04:22
Re: The Devil Box
OOC: the dwarf is a bit off the road by schnickle
"What dwarf? it just these dead humans and the horse and the silver coins. Oh yeah, and the broken wine barrels everywhere. You three look big and strong, and very capable. Will you help us get Lumbie and then help us capture the devil in the Devil Box again?"
Duke Chupo
 NPC, 2 posts
Fri 27 Jun 2008
at 04:24
Re: The Devil Box
"Hey, don't talk about my fingers that way, it was a sparring accident! [Private to Caitlin o'Donnel: lie], not only that, hey, how did you know about my finger?" He begins to eye the party warily, particularly Caitlin. The mean looks from Loorn keep him at least 10 feet away though.
Stonty Dourchops
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 27 Jun 2008
at 04:26
Re: The Devil Box
"Halflings? Kobolds? What are you babbling about? Where's the cart? Where is Erasmus and Emily?" The dwarf gets up shakily and looks around. Upon spying the halflings, he begins to stomp his way over, muttering.
Caitlin o'Donnel
 player, 29 posts
Fri 27 Jun 2008
at 08:41
Re: The Devil Box
Caitlin laughed out loud "Just counting your fingers tells me you lost one, and the way you hold that bread knife tells me you are totally incompetent." she turned to Loorn "Loorn my love, be a dear and show him how a sword ought to be gripped if it is to be any use in combat!" she gave the big man at her side a wide smile and a wink, time for him to look intimidating.
Schnicklegulp Stoneswiper
 player, 45 posts
 HP 20/20 AC n22 f16 t18
 In +2 Sv f+7 r+7 w+3
Fri 27 Jun 2008
at 09:05
Re: The Devil Box
Uh-oh! With little other option, for he could hardly explain what he didn't know to and neither could the dwarf, Schnickle scampered after him, not bothering to conceal himself now. He wanted to see what was going on, and what was going to happen.
Quinlan Fairfellow
 player, 43 posts
 27/27 AC/FF/T 19/15/14
 Init +4 F/R/W: 5/10/1
Fri 27 Jun 2008
at 19:57
Re: The Devil Box
Finally catching on to what Shnickle has been up to, Quinlan contends himself by watching the events unfold, not without reminding the kobolds though:
You still haven't told me how you  can be sure this is Lumbie, and where the devil box is.

He shows the letter to Caitlin, and then to Schnickle as soon as he catches up.
Raspit
 NPC, 7 posts
Tue 1 Jul 2008
at 02:40
Re: The Devil Box
Well, I know thats Lumbie because our tribe sold him to the freak show. I know Lumbie when I see him. Narl and Thistlelip, his brothers, are dead, killed in the dark. Lumbie is the only one who has the right lineage to activate The Devil Box, which we have have. It's nearby, it is.
Stonty Dourchops
 NPC, 2 posts
Tue 1 Jul 2008
at 02:44
Re: The Devil Box
Stonty stomps over to the destroyed cart, kneels next to the dead human and horse, and begins to cry, a manly dwarven cry. He surveys all the broken wine caskets, sniffles.

Oh, Erasmus, how horrible... he mumbles, he looks at the halflings through his tears, Oy who are you fellows? Were you hoping to raid the money from this cart whilst the dead rotted? I'll have you all know, this money will be returned to Erasmus' wife, and his body returned to town for proper burial!
Schnicklegulp Stoneswiper
 player, 46 posts
 HP 20/20 AC n22 f16 t18
 In +2 Sv f+7 r+7 w+3
Tue 1 Jul 2008
at 02:51
Re: The Devil Box
Still with crossbow cocked and loaded, Schnickle followed the dwarf up to the group gathered on the road, then sidled off to join the ones who were currently his allies. "Found him, I did." he said quietly by way of explanation.
Quinlan Fairfellow
 player, 44 posts
 27/27 AC/FF/T 19/15/14
 Init +4 F/R/W: 5/10/1
Wed 2 Jul 2008
at 09:17
Re: The Devil Box
And we will be more than happy to assist you in this task master dwarf. Could you tell us more of what happened here? These fellows don't seem to know.
Caitlin o'Donnel
 player, 30 posts
Wed 2 Jul 2008
at 12:27
Re: The Devil Box
"Or don't want to tell us..." Caitlin added, only briefly looking up from the letter while she read it out loud to Loorn.

ooc: Sorry guys. Heavy workload :(
Loorn Bearhunter
 player, 33 posts
 HP 33/33, AC n19 f17 t12
 In +2 Sv f+10 r+7 w+6
Thu 3 Jul 2008
at 06:57
Re: The Devil Box
Loorn nodded listening to what Caitlin said. Stepping up he towered up in front of Stonty and Raspit.


Intimidate: 14

Also sorry, vacation...

DM Tarkin
 GM, 35 posts
Thu 3 Jul 2008
at 15:08
Re: The Devil Box
do you mean Raspit and Chupo, the two halfings? Stonty is the dwarf.

Loorn Bearhunter:
Loorn nodded listening to what Caitlin said. Stepping up he towered up in front of Stonty and Raspit.


Intimidate: 14

Also sorry, vacation...

Loorn Bearhunter
 player, 35 posts
 HP 33/33, AC n19 f17 t12
 In +2 Sv f+10 r+7 w+6
Fri 4 Jul 2008
at 06:38
Re: The Devil Box
Yes, sorry my mistake.