Yartar And Beyond.   Posted by DM Fletch.Group: archive 5
Cuaglar Annondur
 player, 94 posts
 Init. +4, AC 18/14/14
 hp: 37/37, Saves +4/+5/+1
Sun 1 Jun 2008
at 13:24
Re: Round 1
Cuaglar lunged forward toward the larger orc, drawing his rapier, but then, just when he was most threatening with his blade, he twisted around and stabbed toward the orc to his left, taking it by surprise.  But his intuitive maneuver had not been practiced, so his blade scraped off the leather of the orc.

OOC: Taking a 5-foot step to B2 and executing a sneak attack on the orc flanked by Atalakis.
08:23, Today: Cuaglar Annondur rolled 12 using 1d20+11. Attack roll.
Aw, crackles.
Corven
 player, 43 posts
 Init -5, AC 13/12/10
 HP 24/24, Saves +5/+2/+5
Tue 3 Jun 2008
at 14:02
Round 2

As the larger orc approaches Zyphen, Corven drops his sling and thrusts out with his spear!


Round 2

08:00, Today: Corven rolled 4 using 1d6. Round 2:  Corven Spear Damage!.
07:59, Today: Corven rolled 16 using 1d20+2. Round 2:  Corven Spear Attack!.

7 Initiative

Full Round Action:  Attack Big Orc with short spear!
Free:  None
Swift:  None

Attacks:  16
Damage:  4 (if hit)

Zyphen
 player, 139 posts
 Init +4, AC 20/16/14
 HP 8/18, Saves +4/+10/+3
Tue 3 Jun 2008
at 15:38
Re: Round 2
From within the swirls of mist you hear the orc's blade slice Zyphen's flesh, and in response, the clatter of Zyphen's bow against stone as he drops it and draws his sword.


Fletch:  I have only 8 HP left, I would like to do a full defense action.  I would like to do that instead of attack; however, I only remembered there was such a thing as a full defense action after I made my attack roll.  I missed terribly on the roll, so I doubt you will want me to trade.  The below is assuming I cannot.

Round 2

20 Initiative

Move: Draw Sword
Standard:  Attack big orc, fight defensively
Free:  Drop bow
Swift:  NA

Attacks:  5
Damage:  0

Effects:

Fill space with silver mist (6/7 day, Swift).
     Mist lasts 1 min., grants concealment, does not interfere with user's
     vision, does not move.

9 rounds left.

Evesa
 player, 20 posts
 Init: +1, AC 16/15/11
 HP 18/18, Saves +5/+3/+9
Wed 4 Jun 2008
at 14:21
Re: Round 2
Frustrated by the lack of a hit and the defense needed to prevent being attacked Evesa has another attempt at the orc in front of her. Better focused Evesa swings her longsword and feels the blade hit the orc. Releaved she waits to see what happen next.

[Private to DM Fletch: 22:18, Today: Secret Roll: Evesa rolled 17 using 1d20+4. Round 2 attack of orc.
22:18, Today: Secret Roll: Evesa rolled 7 using 1d8+1. Damage round 2.
]
DM Fletch
 GM, 132 posts
 More! You want more?!
Thu 5 Jun 2008
at 13:35
Round 2 Round-up
Cuaglar has a clever idea.  He feints a step-lunge towards the larger orc then twists to strike at the orc caught between his new position and Atalakis.  It's not so much a lack of practice as the necessity of keeping his footing moving across the top of the stairs that throws his attack astray.  In the end he is lucky to stay standing.

Corven abandons his sling for his trusty spear.  A simple, straightforward thrust catches the big orc in the ribs but most of the force is spent in piercing the orc's chain shirt and it does not seem too distressed.

Atalakis has now recovered his poise.  Cuaglar's attack may have been unsuccessful but the flanked orc is distracted by the need to track two opponents.  Atalakis makes sure the loss of focus is messily fatal.

Evesa finds that her sword is better balanced than the orc's axe.  Before it has a chance to recover its guard she thrusts her blade into its gut.  The orc goes down screaming.

The two remaining orcs throw a glance at each other and then at the stairway immediately behind them.  They remain in the fight for the moment at least, but they're clearly frightened.  Neither attacks with any conviction and Atalakis' plate armour turns both aside.

Zyphen, now badly wounded, chooses to fight defensively.  It proves to be a wise choice.  The big orc is now awkwardly positioned but Cuaglar is off balance and Corven has yet to prove a real threat.  He attacks Zyphen again and only Zyphen's fast reflexes and defensive stance allow him to parry.  OOC: Attack of 21 just misses on fight defensively, so fortunately I don't have to decide on your request, Zyphen


  1 2 3 4 5
  _ _ _ _ _
A|Z C     E|   X = spiral staircase down
B|O M x A x|   Y = spiral staircase up (under Zyphen)
C|    o o x|   o = orcs
D|x     Y  |   O = big orc
E|_ _ _ _ _|   x = dead orc

               C = Corven
               E = Evesa
               A = Atalakis
               Z = Zyphen
               M = Cuaglar

Zyphen
 player, 140 posts
 Init +4, AC 20/16/14
 HP 8/18, Saves +4/+10/+3
Thu 5 Jun 2008
at 14:57
Re: Round 2 Round-up
Zyphan parries with his greatsword, but knows he will not last long with his foes in such close proximity.  He focuses entirely on defense.  "Kill their leader," he hisses from within the mists.  "Then the others would be fools to stay."

Round 3

20 Initiative

Move: Total Defense
Standard:  Total Defense
Free:  Talk
Swift:  NA

Attacks:  None -- +4 AC.
Damage:  0

Effects:

Fill space with silver mist (6/7 day, Swift).
     Mist lasts 1 min., grants concealment, does not interfere with user's
     vision, does not move.

8 rounds left.

AC - 24, with the Total Defense dodge bonus.
Cuaglar Annondur
 player, 95 posts
 Init. +4, AC 18/14/14
 hp: 37/37, Saves +4/+5/+1
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 22:16
Re: Round 2 Round-up
Cuaglar skipped a step again, sliding nimbly around the big orc while it focused its attention on Zyphen, and once again tried to slip his blade between the gaps of its armor.

OOC: Taking a 5-foot-step to C1, so that I'm flanking with Zyphen.
17:13, Today: Cuaglar Annondur rolled 14 using 1d20+11. Attack roll.
17:14, Today: Cuaglar Annondur rolled 4 using 1d6+1. Damage if hit.
17:15, Today: Cuaglar Annondur rolled 4 using 1d6. Sneak attack damage.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:03, Sun 08 June 2008.

Evesa
 player, 21 posts
 Init: +1, AC 16/15/11
 HP 18/18, Saves +5/+3/+9
Sun 8 Jun 2008
at 11:06
Re: Round 2 Round-up
Moving along the wall Evesa positions herself to take out another orc. Unable to reach the boss she turns her attention to the orc in the middle of the room. Taking and loading her crossbow she moves and fires a good shot at the orc.

OCC: Evesa moves from A5 to A3 and then shots her crossbow at the orc at C3. As she does not have it loaded it will take up to the nest round to fire.

[Private to DM Fletch: 19:01, Today: Secret Roll: Evesa rolled 15 using 1d20+2. Crossbow attack of orc round 3.
19:03, Today: Secret Roll: Evesa rolled 8 using 1d8. Damage round 3.
]
Corven
 player, 44 posts
 Init -5, AC 13/12/10
 HP 24/24, Saves +5/+2/+5
Tue 10 Jun 2008
at 12:53
Round 3
Heeding Zyphen's advice, Corven once again strikes out with his spear, but the giant orc merely brushes it aside with a sweep of his arm.


Round 3

06:52, Today: Corven rolled 4 using 1d20+2. Round 3:  Corven Spear Attack!.

7 Initiative

Full Round Action:  Attack Big Orc with short spear!
Free:  None
Swift:  None

Attacks:  4
Damage:  0

DM Fletch
 GM, 134 posts
 More! You want more?!
Thu 12 Jun 2008
at 13:04
Round 3 Round-up
Zyphen concentrates on defending himself, calling out for the others to slay the larger orc who is evidently a leader of sorts.  Corven and Cuaglar do their best, but neither manages to connect.  Cuaglar's attack is devilishly unlucky as the tip of his blade becomes caught for a moment in a buckle of the orc's armour.

Evesa shifts sideways and readies her crossbow.  Any retreating orc will now have to worry about crossbow bolts as well as swords (and spears and...)

Atalakis calmly dispatches another orc and shifts sideways to stand over its corpse.  His attention is now fixed on the orc boss that is bedevilling his companions.  He regrets that preoccupation a moment later when the surviving orc connects with his battleaxe, punching through Atalakis' armour. 10hp damage

The larger orc, aware of his dangerous predicament as an enemy moves behind him, turns his attention from Zyphen's defences to swipe at Cuaglar.  Fortunately, it is little more than that - a frustrated swipe, which comes nowhere near its target.

I have a sneaking suspicion that might be enough to drop Atalakis.  I'll have to confirm that.

  1 2 3 4 5
  _ _ _ _ _
A|Z C E    |   X = spiral staircase down
B|O        |   Y = spiral staircase up (under Zyphen)
C|M   A o  |   o = orcs
D|      Y  |   O = big orc
E|_ _ _ _ _|   x = dead orc

               C = Corven
               E = Evesa
               A = Atalakis
               Z = Zyphen
               M = Cuaglar

Cuaglar Annondur
 player, 101 posts
 Init. +4, AC 18/14/14
 hp: 37/37, Saves +4/+5/+1
Thu 12 Jun 2008
at 14:22
Re: Round 3 Round-up
Cuaglar realized that this was quickly becoming a very frustrating fight, and that it should be accomplished as quickly as possible.  He carefully drew back his rapier, aiming carefully, then darted it towards the larger orc once more, aiming for his neck.

OOC: My first two sneak attacks I ever made, and they missed!  With flanking and everything!  Gah!
09:20, Today: Cuaglar Annondur rolled 29 using 1d20+11. Attack roll.
09:21, Today: Cuaglar Annondur rolled 26 using 1d20+11. Critical Confirm.
Okay, NOW we're talking!
09:22, Today: Cuaglar Annondur rolled 17 using 3d6+2. Damage (I added 1d6 of sneak attack damage into the total roll)
Zyphen
 player, 147 posts
 Init +4, AC 20/16/14
 HP 8/18, Saves +4/+10/+3
Fri 13 Jun 2008
at 13:18
Re: Round 3 Round-up
Zyphen continues to defend himself from within the mists.

Round 4

20 Initiative

Move: Total Defense
Standard:  Total Defense
Free:  Talk
Swift:  NA

Attacks:  None -- +4 AC.
Damage:  0

Effects:

Fill space with silver mist (6/7 day, Swift).
     Mist lasts 1 min., grants concealment, does not interfere with user's
     vision, does not move.

7 rounds left.

AC - 24, with the Total Defense dodge bonus.
Evesa
 player, 22 posts
 Init: +1, AC 16/15/11
 HP 18/18, Saves +5/+3/+9
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 09:52
Re: Round 3 Round-up
Evesa drops the orc with a well placed crossbow bolt to the orc and then looks around. Seeing nothing but the big orc she steps forward and fires at the big orc. As the bolt sails through the air it looks like it will hit.

[Private to DM Fletch: 17:49, Today: Secret Roll: Evesa rolled 21 using 1d20+2. Attack of big orc.
17:50, Today: Secret Roll: Evesa rolled 18 using 1d20+2. Confirmed crit on big orc.
17:50, Today: Secret Roll: Evesa rolled 7 using 1d8. Damage on big orc.
]
DM Fletch
 GM, 136 posts
 More! You want more?!
Sat 21 Jun 2008
at 08:58
Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
Atalakis lies bleeding.  The orc standing over him has little time to gloat, however, before it sprouts a crossbow bolt, courtesy of Evesa, and joins Atalakis on the floor.

Cuaglar steels himself against the run of bad luck that has been plaguing his attacks.  His concentration pays off as a neat thrust passes cleanly through the big orc's neck.  Blood sprays and the orc roars in pain as it twists itself away.

Now entirely focussed on Cuaglar, the big orc ignores Zyphen (still preoccupied with defending himself) and Corven (who strikes but to little effect).  The orc must now realise the hopelessness of its situation but that doesn't stop it lashing out at Cuaglar - and landing a heavy blow. 10hp damage to Cuaglar.

In the meantime, Evesa has been hurriedly reloading her crossbow.  Emboldened by her previous success she sights down the length of the bow into the middle of the melee.  She shoots and the bolt strikes the orc just behind the temple with a crunch of breaking bone.  It falls, stone dead.

The fight is over, but cleaning up could take a while :)

Two critical hits = one very dead orc


  1 2 3 4 5
  _ _ _ _ _
A|Z C E    |   X = spiral staircase down
B|  X      |   Y = spiral staircase up
C|M   A    |
D|      Y  |
E|_ _ _ _ _|

               C = Corven
               E = Evesa
               A = Atalakis (down)
               Z = Zyphen
               M = Cuaglar
Cuaglar Annondur
 player, 103 posts
 Init. +4, AC 18/14/14
 hp: 33/43, Saves +4/+7/+1
Sat 21 Jun 2008
at 20:26
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
Cuaglar straightened himself, favoring his left side, and said,
"We've just started.  We have to secure the tower."

OOC: My profile was out of date considering my hit points and Reflex saves
Zyphen
 player, 148 posts
 Init +4, AC 20/16/14
 HP 18/18, Saves +4/+10/+3
Sat 21 Jun 2008
at 20:56
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
Zyphen sheaths his sword, smoothly picks up his bow and places it back on his back.  He then draws a slim wooden stick engraved with runes from some internal pocket.  Murmuring a command word, a purple glow spreads from the wand to Atalakis, knitting the paladin's wounds.  Zyphen then heals himself.

Use 4 charges from wand.  Heal Atalakis for 6, me for 10.
Corven
 player, 45 posts
 Init -5, AC 13/12/10
 HP 24/24, Saves +5/+2/+5
Mon 23 Jun 2008
at 13:49
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)

Corven nods.  "We need to keep moving, before they can react.  Is there anything we can use to close off this bottom entrance to the tower?  I'd rather not have them coming from behind us ..."
Evesa
 player, 23 posts
 Init: +1, AC 16/15/11
 HP 18/18, Saves +5/+3/+9
Tue 1 Jul 2008
at 12:39
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
"If I remember correctly there is only the door down below. We could try to barricade it to stop anyone following us till we need to leave. Any suggestions?" Evesa replies to Corven's comment. Looking around she searches for something useful on this level, such as a staff or large stick etc.

[Private to DM Fletch: 20:38, Today: Secret Roll: Evesa rolled 19 using 1d20+2. Search tower room.]
DM Fletch
 GM, 137 posts
 More! You want more?!
Sat 5 Jul 2008
at 04:23
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
With Zyphen's help, Atalakis is restored to consciousness, although he is still far from healthy.

"Sune's gracious smile!  I had not thought the devil capable of it.  I was about to challenge that brute of a sergeant and...thump."

Atalakis looks down and surveys the orc lying nearby.  He seems somewhat startled to see a crossbow bolt emerging from its torso.  He glances around the room quickly until his eyes settle on Evesa.

"Ah, it seems I have you to thank young lady for stopping that pesky orc.  I'm very grateful."

The subject of this speech is in the process of searching the tower room.  The orc's had precious little furniture and most of what remains appears to be personal effects, bedrolls and the like.  Still, there are enough scraps of wood from the weapon racks as well as cast off spears, axes and kit for you to bolster, if not actually barricade the lower door.

When pulling the weapon racks aside, Evesa discovers that they are, in fact, covering a crudely concealed door.  A quick search on the other side of the room reveals a second door.  The height and position would match that of the battlements.
Cuaglar Annondur
 player, 104 posts
 Init. +4, AC 18/14/14
 hp: 33/43, Saves +4/+7/+1
Sun 6 Jul 2008
at 14:46
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
Cuaglar made himself in charge of securing the door, quickly trotting down the stairs with a load of wood.  He shoved as many pieces as would fit into the door handle, and tried to arrange the rest so that it propped the door closed.
DM Fletch
 GM, 138 posts
 More! You want more?!
Mon 7 Jul 2008
at 10:55
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
Cuaglar finds that the door's handle will not be such an issue.  Propped against the wall beside the door is a heavy wooden bar that slips into brackets mounted on the door and on the wall to either side of the door.  Obviously some remnants of the Keep's defensive purpose remain.  A few scraps jammed under the door and, once the bar is in place, into the bracket should stop anything short of a ram (or perhaps a troll) breaking through.
Zyphen
 player, 149 posts
 Init +4, AC 20/16/14
 HP 18/18, Saves +4/+10/+3
Tue 8 Jul 2008
at 02:43
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
Zyphen will hang back, bow in hand, watching everywhere for more foes and following the lead of the more martial, kick-down-the-door characters when it comes to where to go.
Corven
 player, 46 posts
 Init -5, AC 13/12/10
 HP 24/24, Saves +5/+2/+5
Tue 8 Jul 2008
at 14:04
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)

Corven nods at Cuaglar.  "Good job, now they can't get to us from behind.  Should we head up I assume?"
Evesa
 player, 24 posts
 Init: +1, AC 16/15/11
 HP 18/18, Saves +5/+3/+9
Fri 11 Jul 2008
at 10:27
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
While searching the area Evesa turns and smiles at Atalakis. When the door has been secured she starts getting ready to move to another area. Hearing Corvan's comment Evesa turns and says "We should just check where the trap doors lead to and if another access point block them first before continuing."
DM Fletch
 GM, 139 posts
 More! You want more?!
Sun 13 Jul 2008
at 14:03
Re: Round 4 Round-up (and a bit of Round 5)
A quick check reveals that the doors do open onto the battlements on either side and the spiral stairs lead up to the roof of the tower.

You have the choice to either push on to your next target or hunker down while people rest and recover.  Another attack would keep the defenders off guard but might stretch your own resources.  On the other hand, the tower you are in is eminently defensible, but you risk getting trapped if the orcs get themselves organised.