Ch. 2: Nowy Huta to the Wisloka River.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: archive 0
Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 143 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Fri 27 Jul 2007
at 21:54
Re: Tug Bridge
Snowy shakes his head when the opposition is explained to him.

"A forewarned platoon of men and two 'automagic' cannon - dug in? You gotta be kidding. And us going through an unrecconoitred narrow, confined set of rapids over two ruined lock gates. Guys, we don't have a snowball's chance of bouncing these blokes."

Finishing his tea, he rests his mug and continues.

"Now, we are either going to negotiate or avoid I reckon. If they've shot up the ORMO, then we can forget that. If they've just run them off then they are obviously in the tax business. Our only asset in that situation is Griet; she talks with Krakow's voice. We might be able to find out what they want and subtly threaten them with Krakow's arty to make 'em play nice. Then again, they mighten't even know that Krakow exists as a threat, but they have met the lock guard. Griet, can you get on the horn to Krakow and ask them what the story is?"

"Let's put ourselves in their boots. Their bike outriders have come back and told them an armoured gunboat is coming their way. They haven't moved. They know we're coming - we've got nowhere else to go and they had people watching the river - so they want to encounter us. Either they want to shoot us up or threaten us and take stuff. Let's hope those guns are out of ammo."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 178 posts
 Polish
 Artillerist/Grave Digger
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 01:35
Re: Tug Bridge
Trevor 'Snowy' White:
"Let's put ourselves in their boots. Their bike outriders have come back and told them an armoured gunboat is coming their way. They haven't moved. They know we're coming - we've got nowhere else to go and they had people watching the river - so they want to encounter us. Either they want to shoot us up or threaten us and take stuff. Let's hope those guns are out of ammo."


Finishing his own tea and then lighting a cigarette, Dawid replied, "I am thinking that they remain there because they do indeed have ammunition for those weapons."

"Guns never reported a motorcycle.  So we don't know for sure it's the same Russian goat-ballers that were looking at us.  But from what Griet's said we should assume it's not her people there."

"As an artillerist, I advocate dropping explosives on the problem until it goes away.  They are a murderous rabble.  As deserters, once they run they will not stop.  If the Rada is worried about their goods in the mean time, then we may leave a guard on the barge to protect it."
  He winked at Griet.

"However, if Konrad decides our best chance is to talk our way through, then I am also willing to do whatever I can to assist.  Maybe they'll only take half of what we have.  Less if we give them have one of the women," he half-joked.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:51, Sat 28 July 2007.

John Yazzie
 player, 59 posts
 Native American
 USMC
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 02:58
OP 1
John will tell Guns what he saw in hushed tones and with hand signals. He will then ask the gunny to use his radio to call in a fire mission.



"Tug, this is John. Adjust fire shift from a known point the control building over.... one round in adjust, 25 meters north of known point, 25 meters west of known point......"


On hearing the shot go off he will say "Shot out".... on impact of the round he will say "Splash, over".


He will then adjust fire onto the target with 50 meter incraments and then call over the radio for "5 rounds in effect".

Once the five rounds fall he will either call for the mission again or call in a bomb damage assesment of the target.....


John
prone
observing fire

This message was last edited by the player at 02:27, Sun 29 July 2007.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 179 posts
 Polish
 Artillerist/Grave Digger
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 04:02
Re: Tug Bridge
John Yazzie:
John will tell guns what he saw in hushed tones and with hand signals. He will then ask the gunny to use his radio to call in a fire mission.


Considering the "out of the blue" nature of the request compared to the SITREP (telling them something they already knew), unless otherwise ordered by Konrad Dawid will hesitate before carrying out the fire mission.  Although he does go man his weapon.

He nodded his thanks and said matter-of-factly, "thank you for listening to my opinion, I believe for now will be more use at my station.  Anyone who wishes to receive further instruction may join me if you wish, if we are to fire in anger."

On the way, he woke up Joost to instruct him on operating the Vasilek.
[Private to Cap'n Rae; Konrad Bayer: What the hell?  I think Yazzie is something of a loose cannon...]

This message was last edited by the player at 09:24, Sat 28 July 2007.

Max Fosters
 player, 100 posts
 Australian
 Infantryman
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 04:43
starboard Dushka
Max is stitting by his Dushka.  He has a steaming cup of coffee, or something.  Its earlier than he wanted to be awake.

He sits with his head just over the rail of the boat, looking out into the false morning.  Some birds have started to sing.  The hot cup of water n coffee is nice, especially on his hands.

Max is warming up, and folds his beanie up so that his ears exposed but his head is still covered.  He notices Dawid moving about, but thinks nothing of it.

Max
With his Dushka
Konrad Bayer
 player, 50 posts
 German
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 11:21
Re: starboard Dushka
As Konrad listens to each of those who input their opinions he shakes his head from side to side a number of times. Not an expression of disagreement, but rather of frustration as each person offers a good argument... unfortunately with many in disagreement to each proposal. Every one stops talking as Dawid calls to the recce team on the radio.

As the Marines in the bush send their SITREP he looks at each of the faces in the bridge in turn... AA gun static, AA gun mobile, dug in platoon...

When the call for the fire mission follows, Konrad quickly says to Dawid with a raised hand "Tell the boys to wait. Fire mission not yet but very soon." After Dawid relays the message and dismisses himself to the mortar Konrad nods a thanks to him.

"Ok. Thank you all for your opinions. I'm very fortunate to have you. What is unfortunate is our lack of time." He looks at each of the members once again before issuing out his simplified 'frag' orders. Speaking loud and clearly to first those assigned to the main deck "Primary targets will be the flak guns of course, they must be neutralized. The mortar and AGS will concentrate fire at them under the direction of Sgt Tucker. Move the AGS forward after this meeting."

"Upper deck gunners. Engage infantry - watch for boarders. Mr. White since your gun is in the rear, I'd like you to help locate targets and watch for boarders."

"Every one be prepared to be selected to repel boarders on board or to land ashore at the lock... if necessary."

"The snipers will direct initial bombardment and provide suppressive fire on the flak guns if needed. I'll be in contact with them along with Sgt Tucker."


At last he turns to Adam. "The barge will remain with your boat. However, you must make the decision whether we storm through the lock or send an envoy first to talk our way through. If they don't know we are coming - they would then. But it means avoiding damage and casualties... probably at the cost of some of your cargo. This is more your decision than ours."

"Questions or concerns? If not, Sgt Tucker provide a fire mission. Remainder stand too."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:27, Sat 28 July 2007.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 180 posts
 Polish
 Artillerist/Grave Digger
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 11:38
Re: starboard Dushka
Konrad Bayer:
As Konrad listens to each of those who input their opinions he shakes his head from side to side a number of times. Not an expression of disagreement, but rather of frustration as each person offers a good argument... unfortunately with many in disagreement to each proposal. Every one stops talking as Dawid calls to the recce team on the radio.

As the Marines in the bush send their SITREP he looks at each of the faces in the bridge in turn... AA gun static, AA gun mobile, dug in platoon...

When the call for the fire mission follows, Konrad quickly says to Dawid with a raised hand "Tell the boys to wait. Fire mission not yet but very soon." After Dawid relays the message and dismisses himself to the mortar Konrad nods a thanks to him.


He saluted, then left.  At his gun, he waited for Milk to join him and assist in manning the weapon and monitoring the radio.  He switched the firing from clip-fired to a more conventional mortar where the rounds were dropped down the tube.  When joined by Milk, he would signal up to the bridge he was ready.

Looking up at the sky, he figured that they still had good time to launch their attack, which would likely mainly consist of an artillery barrage, anyways, with some judicious sniping.  From personal experience he knew that one of the fringe benefits of being a deserter was that no one was probably going to tell you to get up at the crack of dawn!

[Private to Cap'n Rae; Konrad Bayer: Well, you managed to take those diverse opinions and make something like a plan.  Congrats on your first command decision - sort of.]

This message was last edited by the player at 00:04, Sun 29 July 2007.

Max Fosters
 player, 101 posts
 Australian
 Infantryman
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 12:53
Re: starboard Dushka
Max finishes off his coffee.  Theres a bit more action up on deck.

"What the ...?"
John Yazzie
 player, 60 posts
 Native American
 USMC
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 15:03
OP 1
"Say again on fire mission sandbag?"

"Be advised not ORMO at site; same motocycle as before."

"Fire the fire mission now!"

"Do not, repeat do not come within 4000 meters of locks."

"Heavy AA guns will tear up the tug."


"Fire the mission now!"



John
prone
observing fire

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:45, Sat 28 July 2007.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 134 posts
 American
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 17:02
Re: starboard Dushka
Konrad Bayer:
After Dawid relays the message and dismisses himself to the mortar Konrad nods a thanks to him.

"Ok. Thank you all for your opinions. I'm very fortunate to have you. What is unfortunate is our lack of time." He looks at each of the members once again before issuing out his simplified 'frag' orders. Speaking loud and clearly to first those assigned to the main deck "Primary targets will be the flak guns of course, they must be neutralized. The mortar and AGS will concentrate fire at them under the direction of Sgt Tucker. Move the AGS forward after this meeting."

"Upper deck gunners. Engage infantry - watch for boarders. Mr. White since your gun is in the rear, I'd like you to help locate targets and watch for boarders."

"Every one be prepared to be selected to repel boarders on board or to land ashore at the lock... if necessary."

"The snipers will direct initial bombardment and provide suppressive fire on the flak guns if needed. I'll be in contact with them along with Sgt Tucker."


At last he turns to Adam. "The barge will remain with your boat. However, you must make the decision whether we storm through the lock or send an envoy first to talk our way through. If they don't know we are coming - they would then. But it means avoiding damage and casualties... probably at the cost of some of your cargo. This is more your decision than ours."

"Questions or concerns? If not, Sgt Tucker provide a fire mission. Remainder stand too."


Tucker remains leaning on the wall on the bridge while he waits for the actual SITREP to be relayed to them.  "We'll certainly need to concentrate our fire at the emplaced weapons they have if we stand any chance of getting through there.  Talking might not be a bad idea but, I don't think the cargo that we're here to protect should be up for barter.  I think it may be a bad idea to try and talk to 'em right now."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:49, Sat 28 July 2007.

'Old' Adam Rataj
 player, 26 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 20:40
Pilothouse

Old Adam nods his head solemnly.

"I have seen how people like this 'negotiate'. I have every desire to avoid a fight but I do not see how we can secure peaceful passage without giving up much of our cargo and all of our heavy weapons. Sadly, that comment about the women may not be too far off the mark. Their safety, especially, will be under threat. Furthermore, whoever attemtps the negotation takes a grave risk with their personal safety. Marauders are not above taking hostages."

OOC:
*Referee's note: the Wisla Krolowa's organic radio equipment was removed by government forces years ago and has not been replaced. The only radios available to the party are those carried by its members.


[Private to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski: You may want to change the bit in your last post where you're talking to the recon team from the bridge. I believe Clarence is right outside the bridge talking to them on his radio.]

This message was last edited by the player at 20:47, Sat 28 July 2007.

John Yazzie
 player, 61 posts
 Native American
 USMC
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 22:31
Re: Pilothouse
John waits with the radio hand set in his hand next to his ear... as dawn, the best time to attack fades away. His anger grows.




John
prone
observing fire

This message was last edited by the player at 02:27, Sun 29 July 2007.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 135 posts
 American
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 22:43
Re: Pilothouse
'Old' Adam Rataj:
Old Adam nods his head solemnly.

"I have seen how people like this 'negotiate'. I have every desire to avoid a fight but I do not see how we can secure peaceful passage without giving up much of our cargo and all of our heavy weapons. Sadly, that comment about the women may not be too far off the mark. Their safety, especially, will be under threat. Furthermore, whoever attemtps the negotation takes a grave risk with their personal safety. Marauders are not above taking hostages."
"So, full steam ahead and stay the course then ladies and gentlemen.  I'll see to getting the grenade launcher moved better to support the vasilyek.  You sure you want it moved Konrad?" Tucker asks him before setting out to handle the task.
Clarence Milk
 player, 50 posts
 American
 Infantryman
Sat 28 Jul 2007
at 23:57
Companionway
Clarence stands just outside the bridge as the sky continues to lighten. He can feel Yazzie's frustration through the handset.

"Guns, Sandbag. Wait one. I'm working on that fire mission. Waiting on authorization from Sandbag actual. Stand by. Over."

Clarence calls into the bridge,

"The recon team is requesting an immediate fire mission on the locks. They say it's definitely not the ORMO there and Yazzie saw a motorcycle. They're ready to direct fire. Are we doing this?"

Clarence isn't keen on a fight, but he's not keen on betting on the marauders' good graces either.
Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 144 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 00:43
Pilothouse
Snowy starts pulling his flash hood down over his face, saying

"They've seen our mortar, they know our strengths. I don't think this is being thought through totally. I'd haul the sniper team out and work this out better, but I'm not the boss. My bet is we fire, our sniper team gets greased by a clearing patrol."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 51 posts
 German
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 01:23
Re: Pilothouse
As the group at the meeting disperse Konrad answers the final comments...

To Sgt Tucker... "I think we should have it firing forwards for this one. Unless you disagree, lets have it moved."

To Clarence "Ja. Fire mission now. Target the flak guns."

To White "It is a very bad situation we are in. However, the Captain is eager to continue sailing and the longer we sit here the more chance for us to lose the initiative. I'm sure the snipers will be able to extract fine."

He places an arm on White's shoulder and adds "I know it hasn't been planned well. I take blame for not preparing earlier. If you have ideas, let me know."
Rick 'Gunny' Parks
 player, 85 posts
 American
 Marine Scout Sniper
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 01:56
Third bush from the left of that rock
Parks continues to watch the locks paying special attention to the heavy weapons. He practices shifting fire from one to the other so when the shit starts it's not a new movement. He makes mental notes of any unprotected areas thru which to fire. Parks gives Yaz hand signals to stay low and watch their exposed left flank and aft.  Then speaks in low tones, never leaving the weapon sight. "I plan on taking shots as the mortors hit. It will mask the fire I hope. Help me time the round travel so my shots are just as the shells hit. Help me spot exposed targets but keep an eye out for patrols. Oh. and set up opt fire for 50 yards ahead of us and walking north. Code it X-ray. If we call it, that is our distress call. We can handle a few until they get close. But if those AA guns get on us we are six foot and digging. I'm quessing we are under their arc of fire. Our rally will be the insertion point. Alot of open ground for them to cover if they follow. If I drop, take the gun. Sights are set to 100, 200, 400, 800. standard for this weapon." Parks goes back to shifting fire drills and waiting for the brass to shit or get off the pot.



Parks
Prone, In hide north of river.
SVD (10) bipod, optics
Practicing shifting fire drills while keeping an eye on the locks.

John Yazzie
 player, 62 posts
 Native American
 USMC
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 02:22
Re: Third bush from the left of that rock
In hushed tones and hand signals, John will say the following.


"Will set the primary as zebra and the FPL as x-ray danger close."

"We are under the arc of the guns."

"Take out the guy at the SA-60. Have fire mission coming down on control house."

"Will cover side and rear during fight but I will not be able to call out targets."

"I think you take targets on your own and I will do clean up, if it comes to that."

"Don't worry if the shit goes bad- will call in WP and that will smoke screen us out of here."


TO the tug.

"Shoot the fucking fire mission; do not come closer- current fire mission is TRP Zebra."

"FPL for us is call sign X-Ray; it's 300 meters west and 50 north of the locks- that's danger close- only 50 meters from us. Request WP/HE for that mission to lay smoke screen to cover our withdrawl."

"We're wasting time- 3/4 should be asleep still."

"Lets catch them napping."



John
prone
observing fire

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:16, Mon 30 July 2007.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 183 posts
 Polish
 Artillerist/Grave Digger
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 10:31
Forward Gun Position
John Yazzie:
TO the tug.

"shot the fucking fire mission do not come closer current fire mission is TRP Zebra"

"FPL for us is call sign X-Ray its 300 meters west and 50 north of the locks thats danger close only 50 meters from us request WP/HE for that mission to lay smoke screen to cover our withdrawl."

"were wasting time 3/4 should be asleep still."

" lets catch them napping"


Not being able to hear Konrad's decision (or the radio), Dawid looked up at Milk, waiting for a signal to drop an 82mm HE down the tube and start the show.  Before that he would adjust the mortar according to the spotters' request.

Dawid Piotrowski,
82mm Vasilek
Forward Gun Position

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 136 posts
 American
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 14:03
Pilot house/AGL-17 station
Konrad Bayer:
As the group at the meeting disperse Konrad answers the final comments...

To Sgt Tucker... "I think we should have it firing forwards for this one. Unless you disagree, lets have it moved."
Tucker shakes his head, "Works for me boss.  I'll go and give Joost a hand moving it and settingit up."
Tucker makes his way to where the AGL-17 grenade launcher is set up and Joost's station.  He walks up to him and taps him on the shoulder.  "We're moving you forward to better support the mortar.  They're already calling for a fire mission and need to get you set up ASAP.  C'mon, let's get this moving,"Tuck says to Joost, obviously there to give him a hand in moving the weapon forward.

Tuck
M-16A2 [1] MAG 30/ M-203 [1] HE
At Joost's position getting ready to move the AGL-17 forward
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 34 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 14:53
Bridge
quote:
Uller is more vocal in his opposition, muttering something about "Rada whores" loud enough for all to hear.


As the others left, Griet made way for them but made no move to follow.  As she backed up, it seemed that contact with the bulkhead caused her AKR to slip around to the front, though she didn't reach for it or put her hand on the grip.  It was just movement of equipment.

That changed once most of the people were out.  Before anyone knew of her true intention, she had the conical muzzle of the stubby submachinegun pressed painfully into Uller's crotch.  Griet's finger rested on the trigger and the sound of the firing lever slipping off of safe carried far more than such a quiet noise dictated.

There was no expression on her face, not even a tightening of her lips or the expressive skin around the eyes as she looked directly into Uller's face.  Griet's words were flat and quiet.  "A whore gets paid to fuck.  You, I'll fuck up for free if you ever call me that again."
Clarence Milk
 player, 52 posts
 American
 Infantryman
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 16:04
Vasilek
Konrad Bayer:
To Clarence "Ja. Fire mission now. Target the flak guns."


"Got it, sir. I'm takin' the radio down to the gun. Break in if you need to."

Clarence slides down the ladders to the main deck and makes his way forward to the Vasilek.

"Alright D.P., looks like you get a chance to strut your stuff. Konrad's given us the green light. We got a fire mission to shoot!"

Clarence setttles into the loaders position and sets up the PRC-119 so that it's not in the way but he can still access it easily.

"Ready. Let's make 'em count!"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 184 posts
 Polish
 Artillerist/Grave Digger
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 16:52
Re: Vasilek
Clarence Milk:
Clarence slides down the ladders to the main deck and makes his way forward to the Vasilek.

"Alright D.P., looks like you get a chance to strut your stuff. Konrad's given us the green light. We got a fire mission to shoot!"

Clarence setttles into the loaders position and sets up the PRC-119 so that it's not in the way but he can still access it easily.

"Ready. Let's make 'em count!"


Nodding, he adjusted the weapon to the correct azimuth and elevation.  The "known aim point" was the tip of the island, which was marked clearly on the map, and a common reference.

Satisfied, he easily lifted a 10kg 82mm HE shell and carefully fitted its tail in the breech.  "COVER EARS!"" he yelled in warning.  In a practiced motion he let go of the bomb and smoothly turned away, shutting his eyes and covering his ears.  The shell slithered down the barrel with a metallic scrape that he felt as much as heard, followed by the explosive SLAP! of the propellant igniting and throwing the bomb up and far out into the purple pre-dawn twilight sky.

When he took away his hands and looked back at it, the gun was finishing its recoil cycle and he sat down in the gunners seat that was fixed to the carriage, ready to make any needed corrections.  "Clarence, would you load the gun for me?  Thank you."


Dawid Piotrowski

Vasilek
Aiming and Firing.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:53, Sun 29 July 2007.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 221 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 21:38
Bridge

Uller backs up against the wall of the bridge wincing as the AKSU's hard, conical muzzle presses into his groin. He literally bites his lip, his eyes moving from the weapon in Griet's hand to her hard visage. He glares at her for a couple of long seconds before an added dose of pressure causes him to rock his head back and stand on his tip-toes. When he speaks, his voice is a full octave higher,

"Yes... Ma'am."

Defeat washes over Uller's pained face.

Adam cuts in,

"Chief Niewiadomska, please."

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:43, Sun 29 July 2007.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 35 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 29 Jul 2007
at 21:55
Bridge to Upper Mount
Not even the hard slap of the mortar firing, felt as much as heard, made Griet's gaze flicker.  However, at Adam's words she backed away from Uller, but her finger remained on the trigger and the firing lever off of safe.  It sounded like a request, but Griet understood it as an order and responded appropriately.

"Aye aye, Captain," she said and then turned and left the bridge.  Before she began climbing towards her position, Griet safed the AKR and shoved it around to the small of her back.

That was stupid.  Now I have to watch out for him and the invaders.  So what if he called me a whore?  Stupid, stupid, stupid, Griet chided herself as she headed towards her assigned weapon.  Now she'd have to find some way to make sure Uller wouldn't be seeking revenge.