Ch. 4: Niepolomice.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: archive 0
John Yazzie
 player, 137 posts
 Corporal
 USMC
Fri 12 Oct 2007
at 09:34
Re: The Survivors
John will move out by himself on a track towards the boat but 100 meters to the left of the way they got there. he will move slow and with caution. trying to avoid an ambush...any sign of the enemy he will goto ground.
Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 199 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Fri 12 Oct 2007
at 09:52
Re: The Survivors
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker moves out of the room to the main room of the bakery.  He yells out, "MAX, SNOWY!  Drop your cocks and grab your socks!  We got work to do!"  Robert waits for them to assemble and gives them the quick briefing.  <DarkGreen>"OK, Konrad wants us to sweep the building across the way.  We'll go Snowy, me, then Max bringing up the rear.  Quick but thorough so we can get some damn rest!  Questions?"


Snowy's eyes snap open from where he was snoozing beside the stairs. He rolls over and stands up, blinking and settling his weapon.

"Right, I'm on it. Where's our support situated? What axis are we advancing on?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 8 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 12 Oct 2007
at 12:02
Re: The Survivors
Minh shakes her head to both Konrad and Maddock, "No, I don't speak any Polish. When I first came I here I was with two other guys from my unit. One of them spoke a bit and that got us by. Since... well he died a few days ago. Since then I've been barely (she waves her arm to indicate the last stand at the battered church) making due. A couple of them understand a few words of English... other than that I just point."

Looking at both of them she continues, "Yeah, I'd probably be more helpful staying with the Sergeant Major, a familiar face to the Poles if anything."

Without waiting she musters up the seven remaining militia and leads them over to Maddock. "This is it." she says. "All rearmed and loaded."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 235 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 12 Oct 2007
at 13:24
Re: The Survivors
Trevor 'Snowy' White:
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker moves out of the room to the main room of the bakery.  He yells out, "MAX, SNOWY!  Drop your cocks and grab your socks!  We got work to do!"  Robert waits for them to assemble and gives them the quick briefing.  "OK, Konrad wants us to sweep the building across the way.  We'll go Snowy, me, then Max bringing up the rear.  Quick but thorough so we can get some damn rest!  Questions?"


Snowy's eyes snap open from where he was snoozing beside the stairs. He rolls over and stands up, blinking and settling his weapon.

"Right, I'm on it. Where's our support situated? What axis are we advancing on?"
<DarkGreen>"Supports behind us and we're going in the front door."
A. 'Mad' John Maddock
 player, 48 posts
 Regimental Sergeant Major
 Royal Marines SBS
Fri 12 Oct 2007
at 15:45
Re: The Survivors
Maddock's expression sours as the prospect of using his own broken Polish sinks in. "All right, then, you're the familiar face, as you say."

In halting, awkward Polish, he tries to explain what he wants of the seven presented militia fighters. At every turn, he uses common hand gestures for direction, numbers and the like, to try and reinforce his words. He gestures at three likely looking men. "You three to bakers make wide eyes. Make the yelling if Ruskies come. My friends go new." To the other four, "You three here not go from. You outside to men at wall helping you them. Yes? Please. Thanking you."

<orange>
Church
Silenced Sterling (29rnd)
Directing the Militia?
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 351 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 12 Oct 2007
at 23:53
Re: The Survivors

Building Assault Team

You move quickly accross the narrow street, step across the crumpled body in the open doorway, and enter the building across from the bakery. A quick look around the ground level indicates that this is some kind of seamstress/tailor shop. You clear the first floor, then move up the dark stairwell. There are four rooms on the second floor, through which the stink of cordite smoke, hot metal, and loosed bowels hangs heavy. In westernmost the room overlooking the street, you find a second dead Russian laying against the wall beneath the window, a pool of blood spreading across the floor towards your booted feet. He is the building's only occupant.

Bakery Team

With some confusion, you manage to muster and deploy the 7 militamen as you'd intended, extending the east side of the perimeter to include the bakery. The militia are clearly exhausted, but they respond quickly, almost cheerfully. They seem to appreciate the direction and the sense of competency and confidence that you're projecting (whether you intend it or not).

Church Team

Adam's reunion with his village friends is being spoiled by the uncertainty surrounding the status of his beloved boat. He smiles and chats away with his acquaintances but his mind is clearly elsewhere. You can understand (if not empathize with) his unease.

Dawid [NPCed] calls down from the tower,

"Two men, on the road, approaching from the east!"

Blue sees them a moment later, backlit by the subsiding flames of burning buildings on the eastern edge of town. One is limping heavily, supported by the other, who, in his free hand, appears to be carrying a hunting rifle. They walk down the middle of the road, seemingly unconcerned about their personal safety.

Knife

You move vigilantly through the fields, paralleling the trail you blazed into the village. You hear them before you see them. Dropping into the wheat, you peek above the stalks to see ten men on horseback, each leading a riderless horse by the bridle, heading east at a brisk walk, about 50 meters away. They don't seem to have noticed you.

All

Gunfire can no longer be heard. There is still no word from the tug.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:01, Sat 13 Oct 2007.

John Yazzie
 player, 138 posts
 Corporal
 USMC
Sat 13 Oct 2007
at 02:44
Re: The Survivors
John will hold in place and hope his heart beat does not make too much noise....when the riders are 200 meters away he will radio a salute to sunray..

"sunray this is knife"
"10 riders,moving east,200 meters east of me,uniform unkown,unit unknown,time is now,equipment soviet small arms."




John
laying quiet
G3 (74 rounds)
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 236 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 13 Oct 2007
at 03:46
Re: The Survivors
Cap'n Rae:
Building Assault Team
You move quickly accross the narrow street, step across the crumpled body in the open doorway, and enter the building across from the bakery. A quick look around the ground level indicates that this is some kind of seamstress/tailor shop. You clear the first floor, then move up the dark stairwell. There are four rooms on the second floor, through which the stink of cordite smoke, hot metal, and loosed bowels hangs heavy. In westernmost the room overlooking the street, you find a second dead Russian laying against the wall beneath the window, a pool of blood spreading across the floor towards your booted feet. He is the building's only occupant.Actions?
Tucker follows Snowy into the building as they begin their sweep and clear.  When they finally get to the second floor, and see the dead Russian in the room, he signals a stop as he slings his rifle and moves closer to the body.  He moves closer to check the body.
Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 200 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Sat 13 Oct 2007
at 03:59
Re: The Survivors
Snowy takes up position nearby, covering Tuck and watching for external threats.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 215 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 13 Oct 2007
at 11:05
Re: The Survivors
Bayer is still sitting in one of the pews. Hearing Dawid's report from the tower he quickly rises and goes to find Maddock. "Two men approaching on the road. Grab Quyen and whoever else you need. Self defense only, if they are on the road either they are friendly or Russian's who want to talk. We'll cover you from here."

Yazzie's report breaks over the radio, "Sunray, roger. Try to make comms with Tug at best possible speed."

Bayer then moves over to Adam. "Yazzie is almost at your boat. This might be a good reason to excuse us from your friends... getting back to protecting your boat. They know we've helped them, and they'll understand."

Putting a hand on his shoulder he adds, "Should I get the men ready to go... or wait just a little while longer." His tone suggests he's pushing Adam now to depart. Adam is still his boss, but Konrad understands his hesitancy.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:07, Sat 13 Oct 2007.

A. 'Mad' John Maddock
 player, 49 posts
 Regimental Sergeant Major
 Royal Marines SBS
Sat 13 Oct 2007
at 13:58
Re: The Survivors
Maddock makes a circle-up gesture to grab Minh's attention as he frees his walkie from the harness. "Assault, Maddock...two on foot entering by east. Can you overwatch? Maddock plus one coming out."

That done, he readies the heavy L86A1, and leads Minh out the front of the church, past the AGL team. "Right, lads, we've got two unknown coming in by foot from the east. Minh and I are out to meet them, but stay sharp and stay put."

Dropping into a running crouch, Maddock moves from cover to cover as best he can, making sure that Minh is close-by, until he is close enough to see the two pedestrians. He will indicate to Minh to stay in cover and keep them in her sights, before calling out in English, Polish and Russian: "Stop! Don't move!"


The east road
L86A1 LSW (30rnd)
Hailing two on foot


[Private to Cap'n Rae: Maddock will fire if they attempt to aim the hunting rifle]
Minh Quyen
 player, 9 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 13 Oct 2007
at 19:42
Re: The Survivors
Minh backs up Maddock. Kneeling behind a corner of one of the buildings she waits until his move. She takes a moment to feel one of her webbing pouches where she keeps her handcuffs, in case they need them. When the time comes she spins around the corner and aim her rifle at the two walkers, keeping most of her body behind the wall.
'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 39 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Sat 13 Oct 2007
at 20:04
Re: The Survivors
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then moves over to Adam. "Yazzie is almost at your boat. This might be a good reason to excuse us from your friends... getting back to protecting your boat. They know we've helped them, and they'll understand."

Putting a hand on his shoulder he adds, "Should I get the men ready to go... or wait just a little while longer." His tone suggests he's pushing Adam now to depart. Adam is still his boss, but Konrad understands his hesitancy.


Adam looks up from his conversation and listens to Konrad. When Konrad finishes, Adam sighs heavily.

"I don't know..."

Another sigh,

"My friends do not know what to do. Some have asked me if they can come along on the tug. But, I know that the river is just as dangerous, if not moreso, than this village. We don't have the food or the space for more passengers either. Some of them are thinking about shifting the whole village to one of the outlying farms- to hide out and hope for the best. A smaller settlement would be easier to defend, at least, but there are many people to house and it is getting colder every day. Others are considering making for Krakow, thogh I have warned them about the marauders we met on the way. They are all frightened and tired. Perhaps in the light of day it will be easier to think clearly. I just wish we could do more. Could we stay until dawn; let them rest a bit? I'm sure Uller is managing..."

This last statement is made with some uncertainty.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 352 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 13 Oct 2007
at 21:34
Re: The Survivors

Maddock and Minh

At the sound of Maddock's shouted challenge, the walkers stop in mid-stride/lurch. After a moment's hesitation, The unwounded man hurriedly shuffle-drags his disabled companion to the north side of the street and sets his companion down against the wall of a nearby house. He then takes a step back into the street and raises his rifle to the high ready position, calling out in Polish,

"Who the devil are you?"

Building Clearing Team

Stepping over and around the pooling blood, Tucker approaches the huddled figure against the far wall of the room. He nudges the body with his boot. Nothing. A cursory search reveals an AKM rifle, two-and-a-half magazines, and a crude, home-made dagger with an eight-inch blade. From the surface corrosion, it looks well used.

Dagger

The riders pause, about 200m southeast from your position. They shout back and forth in Russian (or Ukranian- you can't really tell). Their load conversation seems quite contentious. The groups splits, one party heading off to the northeast at a trot. The other, slightly larger party remains in place, milling about. One of the of the riders fires two shots towards his departing comrades, but well high. A threat perhaps? A signal? A minute after this parting shot, the second party moves out, dissappearing into the distance to the east.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 216 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 13 Oct 2007
at 21:53
Re: The Survivors
Bayer thinks for a long time. "Well... how about two things first. I find out the status of your boat, and what the other men think. Then perhaps I will have a better answer for you. Give me twenty minutes."

With that he decides to check up on Maddock and Minh and their guests.

He'll ask the rest of the team what they want to do immediately after.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:53, Sat 13 Oct 2007.

John Yazzie
 player, 140 posts
 Corporal
 USMC
Sun 14 Oct 2007
at 00:30
Re: The Survivors
"sunray knife"

"i have the group splitting


"half going east and half going northeast"

"they are moving at a good pace"

"Going to try to contact ship now"


"tug this is knife ,,radio check over"

"what is your status tug?"

John will stay in hide and not move. he will wait until all riders are gone to get up and move.


John
waiting in hide
G3(74 rounds)
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 237 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 14 Oct 2007
at 02:54
Re: The Survivors
Cap'n Rae:
Building Clearing Team

Stepping over and around the pooling blood, Tucker approaches the huddled figure against the far wall of the room. He nudges the body with his boot. Nothing. A cursory search reveals an AKM rifle, two-and-a-half magazines, and a crude, home-made dagger with an eight-inch blade. From the surface corrosion, it looks well used.
Tucker unslings his rifle and hands it back to Snowy.  When he looks at Snowy and Max, he runs his and across his throat and points his thumb down to them indicating to the dead Russian.  Tuck steps carefully closer to the body and tires to visually inspect closer the rifle and knife laying on floor to make sure there's no booby-traps attached to them.

Tucker
Rifle back to Snowy/Browning HP in MOLLE rig
Visually checking the dead Russian body before moving anything

A. 'Mad' John Maddock
 player, 50 posts
 Regimental Sergeant Major
 Royal Marines SBS
Sun 14 Oct 2007
at 03:38
Re: The Survivors
"Sod it," Maddock mutters, and steps out into view, L86 couched to fire from the hip. He steps clear of Minh's line of fire.

In his broken Polish, he gives answer. "Friends of village. Be not moving. You?"


Eastbound Road
L86A1 LSW (30rnd)
Talking

Max Fosters
 player, 147 posts
 Rank Unknown
 Royal Australian Army
Sun 14 Oct 2007
at 09:33
Assult team
While the rest of the team scales the stairs inside, Max takes up his now customary position at the ground level front door of their new building.  Max watches out into the night, knowing that if the team is going to get bounced it will most likely come from the ground level.

The rest of the team reaches the second story above.  Max waits for any tell tales signs of struggle, or resistance.  There is no sound coming.  Good.

So far, so good.  But time is getting away from us.

There is movement in "his" street to the east.  Two figures.

Max is in his normal courching position, rifle at the low ready.

Max slowly raises his rifle to point towards the two new figure, as Maddock steps out to challenge them.

By raising his rifle slowly, he hopes to have gone unnoticed as he provides Maddock with overwatch.


Max
Kneeling, aiming at two new figures
Providing overwatch from his doorway
AK-74 (30) GL (1HE)

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 132 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 14 Oct 2007
at 11:16
Inside the church?
Glad that at least some effort was being made to contact the Tug, Anneka finished with the last of the wounded.
"Hauptman, we cannot abandon these people to their fates just yet. They're all utterly exhausted and in no state to put up any sort of fight." A wave of a hand towards the villagers showed all but a handful had collapsed into blissful sleep.
"I know it's a bad situation we're in here but we owe it to them to provide at least a nights safe rest. If those marauders come back and we're not here...."
Anneka knew what exhaustion did to a person. She herself had collapsed just days before during their efforts to get the tug fitted out before leaving Nowa Huta.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 354 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 15 Oct 2007
at 23:49
Fast Forward

The team decides to stay the night in the village, providing a few extra eyes and hands to its defense and allowing the exhausted militia- now rejoined by one more able-bodied member who'd been hinding out since being cut off (the fellow stopped in the street by Maddock and Minh)- some much needed rest. Konrad, unhappy to be away from the tug, and Anneka set up a rotating watch schedule, allowing all of you to sleep for a few hours during the night and guaranteeing that no one succumbs to exhaustion. The remaining hours of darkness pass without any sign of the marauders.

At daybreak, you eat a quick breakfast, say your goodbyes to the villagers, and head back for your debarkation point. A few betrayed looks assail you as the villagers realize that their saviors- and security- are taking leave of them. They clearly had hoped for more. But, your original mission- to break the siege and deliver much needed weapons and ammunition- was a success and it's decided that there's little more that you there without jeopardizing the river journey. You've suffered no casualties while reducing the marauder force by six. Hopefully, the nine remaining militia can protect the fifty or so old men, women and children you leave behind. You tell yourself that they'll be alright...

After hiking back through the field you crossed last night, and reuniting with Yazzie along the way, you reach the debarkation point. Everyone with a radio attempts to contact the Krolowa. After a couple of tense minutes, Clarence's voice cuts through the static,

"What took you so long?"

With the shoreline secure, the zodiacs are sent for you. Griet is at the helm of the first and Tadeuz the second. You're ferried back to the Krolowa which is anchored about two kilometers downriver from where you left her. When you're back aboard, Clarence explains,

"Yeah, about three hours after you left, Gunny saw movement on the shore. We didn't have any NODs- and we couldn't be sure it wasn't some of you come back- so we didn't open fire until it was too late. The bad guys got in the first volley- Walter got hit in the arm; I did what I could for him. He's OK but you'd better take a look at him Major. Anyway, they were really pouring it on and I had a hard time getting to the aft Dushka. We finally layed some accurate fire on them. I'm pretty sure we got a couple of them. In the meantime, Uller had his boys pull anchor and take off down the river, hopin' to put some distance between  us and the bad guys, I guess. It musta worked 'cause they broke off and didn't trouble us no more. We been callin' and callin' but couldn't raise you on the radio. Not sure why. Anyway, all's well that ends well, right?"

You're safe back on board. It's now about 8am on October X and the weather is much like it was the day before.

Actions?
John Yazzie
 player, 142 posts
 Corporal
 USMC
Tue 16 Oct 2007
at 01:06
Re: Fast Forward
John will move to the top deck area and set up shop..he will lay out his bed roll and start to clean his new rifle and then goto sleep....





John
cleaning weapon/sleep
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 346 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 16 Oct 2007
at 04:36
Re: Fast Forward
Before leaving Neiplomice, Dawid talked to and comforted the people they would be leaving behind.

While they had room and possibly food for the villagers on the tug and the barge (if they took what food they had with them), they ultimately didn't know how far they were going (sure, they were supposedly going to Sodomierz, but who knew where Adam was going to end up?). Or, what they would find when they got there.

He tried to convince them they were better off staying here, where their farms were and they knew the lay of the land. "You are safe here as anywhere, those scum won't be back. You fought them off now, they'll remember for sure! I promise." But he knew he was making practically empty reassurances.

Back on the tug, Dawid also cleaned the PKM and the AGS-17.

He then fell into an exhausted sleep, dreaming of the man he shot at and missed.

Rarely in combat did he actually see his target. Most of the time he just put rounds downrange and then perhaps later they would find a body or a blood trail, maybe some blood-soaked bandages or discarded wrappers. The face merged with the kneeling marauder that he had executed some days earlier, sometimes one face, then the other. Their faces then blurred and merged with those of other similar bandits and criminals he'd seen or been ordered to execute in the past.

When would his people have justice and peace? Would they always be at the feet of foreigners and mercenaries, hard-eyed "men with guns" who took what they wanted and imposed their rules?

This message was last edited by the player at 04:37, Tue 16 Oct 2007.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 133 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 18 Oct 2007
at 07:32
Re: Fast Forward
Tired, but happy to have suffered no casualties in their night time foray, Anneka climbed aboard the Krolowa.
"Where is he then?" she asked once Clarence had finished his report. Walter would need attention, even if just for her to inspect the Warrant Officerss handywork.
An hour or so later and the RPK-74 had been cleaned and returned to the weapons locker, Walters wound assessed, rebandaged and antibiotics applied and Anneka's personal needs taken care of...
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 238 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 18 Oct 2007
at 16:24
Re: Fast Forward
Keeping the well used blade he found on the dead Russian marauder, Tucker turns over the rifle and ammo to Konrad for the defense of the town by their remaining militia.

After pulling his watch and getting some sleep for the reaminder of the day and night, Tucker bids a few farewells to the villagers and heads back to the tug with the others.  Upon returning to the ship, he breaks down and cleans his gear in an area where there is room for him to work.  He leaves the partially used magazine in his weapon (27/30) and an HE in the M-203 launcher.  Once he's done, he'll stow his gear and make sure his responsibilities are taken care of.

He will seek out Anneka on board.  "Mind taken a look to make sure my dressing is still good Major?"