Ch. 7: The Bridge at Szczucin.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: archive 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 458 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 12 Dec 2007
at 23:39
Ch. 7: The Bridge at Szczucin

"I'm just trying to find the bridge. Has anybody seen the bridge? Where's that confounded bridge?"

Led Zeppelin, The Crunge

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:58, Wed 12 Dec 2007.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 459 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 12 Dec 2007
at 23:41
Re: Ch. 7: The Bridge at Szczucin

Thursday, October 5th, 2000
1100 hrs.
Vistula river, approx. 5 km upriver from the damaged road bridge west of Szczucin, Poland
50 F
Scattered Clouds


The Visla Krolowa drops anchor on the northern side of the Vistula river, approximately 5km upstream from, and out of the direct line of sight of, the bridge. The tug is not moored close enough to the bank to transfer the motorbike directly to the shore, but the assault boat can easily accomodate it. Walter assures you that the operation is a simple one. He's had his hands full the last hour or so. Tadeuz is rip-roaring drunk. He's spent much of that time shouting slurred Polish obsenities and accosting security team members (you can't understand a word he's saying) but the last straw was when he began to disrobe on deck, throwing his clothes into the river, and fully intending, you suspect, on following them over the side. Walter had to get Grzyech from below decks to help restrain the beligerent chief deckhand. He's been handcuffed to his bunk ever since. Until he sleeps it off, the tug crew will be without another pair of hands.

Milk finds Konrad and reports the result of the last contact with the Polish partisan troup with whom he's been trying to coordinate a bridge scouting operation. They are still at least two hours from the bridge and one of their number has managed to get himself injured, although Clarence does not know how.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:01, Thu 13 Dec 2007.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 275 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 13 Dec 2007
at 00:16
Re: Ch. 7: The Bridge at Szczucin
"Looks like we've got some time to kill. Why don't you take the bridge team through a couple of nearby farms in the meantime and see if you can't scrounge up anything useful?" she commented to Konrad after Milk's report.
From the little she'd be told, the partisans should be scouting the area for them and they would simply be providing the skills and materials to clear the way. If that was so, then it would be in their best interest not to arrive first on the scene although Yazzie could certainly manage to keep himself concealed if he chose to.
Another necessary task weighed heavily on her mind as she thought about their options.
"Or maybe we should just bury our dead?"
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 105 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Thu 13 Dec 2007
at 00:55
Re: Ch. 7: The Bridge at Szczucin

Addressing both of the officers present, Milk offers the following for consideration,

"About that chopper, sir. Our wannabe pimp friend said he saw it up around the last town- the biohazzard town. A few hours later, we get hit by an ambush near there. Then an hour after we shoot our way through that, we see what's gotta be the same chopper goin' back and forth, finally headin' the same way we are. I think they're gonna be waiting for us again, up ahead. And the bridge is the likeliest spot for them to set up. My team is only four guys and one of them is hurt. I don't know what kind of soldiers they is neither. We need to think this through real good before we make a move; maybe ask for the mens' thoughts. I don't want to send anyone into no deathtrap."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 277 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 13 Dec 2007
at 01:18
Re: Ch. 7: The Bridge at Szczucin
"I hadn't thought of it like that," she said with a worried frown creasing her forehead.
"Can you make contact with the team again?" she asked Milk. "Maybe it's best to link up with them short of the bridge and scout it out in force?"
If there were enemy set up in ambush there, it would probably require a radical rethink about who stayed with the tug and who went. More than likely an assault of the position would be required to deal with the enemy once and for all. If that was the case, then the mortar would almost certainly be needed.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 439 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 13 Dec 2007
at 03:27
Re: Ch. 7: The Bridge at Szczucin
Strictly speaking, Dawid of course couldn't understand what Tadeusz was saying any more than anyone else. He could guess what was going on. As the man started to get out of control he took him aside and tried to calm him down.

"Look, why are you doing this? We've all lost family, friends. The Captain isn't dead you know, he's hurt. You need to be strong for him, not act like some drunken fool!"

Once he was calmed down, he helped put him to bed.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:02, Fri 14 Dec 2007.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 346 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 13 Dec 2007
at 03:56
Galley
Anneka Soleblume:
"I hadn't thought of it like that," she said with a worried frown creasing her forehead.
"Can you make contact with the team again?" she asked Milk. "Maybe it's best to link up with them short of the bridge and scout it out in force?"
If there were enemy set up in ambush there, it would probably require a radical rethink about who stayed with the tug and who went. More than likely an assault of the position would be required to deal with the enemy once and for all. If that was the case, then the mortar would almost certainly be needed.


"Ja. As it stands the shore party wasn't intending to go looking for a fight. The partisans were to secure the bridge, andz we reinforce them immediately following. If there are enemy confirmed near das bridge we shall have to rethink our strategy... additional info from them is important. Milk, as Anneka said, can you contact them again and request more?"

Thinking about what Milk said he collects the team and assembles them for a meeting to let each one share their ideas and opinions. Parks hasn't had any interest in the past in voicing his thoughts so he appoints him as security.

In the galley... Bayer explains the situation and then highlights, "We need to make a decision now. We can't advance the tug further and while stationary in daylight we are most vulnerable. So, factors to think about... distance to the bridge ist five kilometers, partisans are two hours away, limited manpower for each us and them, potential enemy is in this area, we have the option of using the motorcycle, and time is against us."

Bayer hoped for some quick and productive feedback from rest of the team. Anneka had suggested a joint recon in force, but as Milk suggested the others should have a say as well.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:02, Thu 13 Dec 2007.

John Yazzie
 player, 207 posts
 Corporal
 USMC
Thu 13 Dec 2007
at 04:04
On deck
John will apear behind Ann.And speak.

"Yes I perfer to be on my own ANN. I can trust myself.Herr Hauptmann, I would like to speak here? I think I should go on the North side of the river the next 5 klicks and do a R and S? Once I get into view of the bridge I will report in a SALUTE report and keep an eyes on for you. I could (on order) call in for fire and bust the ambush. This would allow you the time to gather your forces here and make a raid at full strenght. Not 4, But 4 and any forces you recieve. I would want to go on the north side because the force have been on the south the last few times and my bet is they are on the south again and this would allow me to get into place. I will be on the gun deck doing pushup's. If you want me i will be there. Thanks for you time Herr Hauptmann have a good day."


John
Doing pushup's
G3/1911
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 106 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Fri 14 Dec 2007
at 00:04
Re: Galley
Konrad Bayer:
"Ja. As it stands the shore party wasn't intending to go looking for a fight. The partisans were to secure the bridge, andz we reinforce them immediately following. If there are enemy confirmed near das bridge we shall have to rethink our strategy... additional info from them is important. Milk, as Anneka said, can you contact them again and request more?"


"Sure. Their battery aint likely to hold out much longer but I can still get a hold of 'em. What do you want to know, sir?"

[Private to Anneka Soleblume; Konrad Bayer: I'm not trying to be daft here; I just want to make sure I ask the right questions to try and get the info you want. And I'm not sure what you're looking for.]
Konrad Bayer
 player, 348 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 14 Dec 2007
at 00:23
Re: Galley
Clarence Milk:
"Sure. Their battery aint likely to hold out much longer but I can still get a hold of 'em. What do you want to know, sir?"


"Well, I think the most important thing is what they can tell us about the enemy. Where, how many and what they have been doing. Then perhaps when... when can they get to the bridge. I can work with this info at the least." Bayer informs Milk.

OOC - Rae, I respect both Snowy and Dawid's comments about ferrying the motorbike but we are all subject to the world you create. Can let us know about the potential for this task? Can it be transported on the assault boat and unloaded by hand on shore?

This message was last edited by the player at 00:24, Fri 14 Dec 2007.

Minh Quyen
 player, 75 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 14 Dec 2007
at 00:56
Re: Galley
Minh attends the meeting in the galley as instructed but speaks up only a little, "At the moment, I think the original plan is suitable or just slightly modified is fine too. For one, Yazzie leaving a little early is ok... he was going to be detached anyways. Other than that, how I see it, only whether we move by foot or bike needs to be determined."

"Of course if we get some unexpected news about the enemy from the partisans then we may have to make adjustments."
but until then, Minh is fine with it.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 279 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 14 Dec 2007
at 02:09
Re: Galley
"Where were the two groups supposed to link up? If it's the bridge then I would suggest a point a mile or two further back just in case there's a problem."
If the "enemy" were waiting in ambush, then the chances of the first team to arrive were too horrible to contemplate. As nobody had any idea of what the others looked liked it would be far to easy to mistake the "enemy" as friendly - right up until they were being shot up.
If if the "enemy" weren't mistaken as friends, then there was a huge risk that friendly fire would be inflicted upon their unrecognised allies.
"Do you know anything of the combat capabilites of your partisans? What weapons do they have, ammunition supply and so forth."
"You also mentioned they had somebody wounded. Do they require attention?"

If they did then it would be up to either Yazzie or White to administer it. Anneka herself was in no condition to be leaving the tug. In better times she'd be resting comfortably in a hospital bed for at least the rest of the week...

This message was last edited by the player at 05:53, Fri 14 Dec 2007.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 349 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 14 Dec 2007
at 03:30
Re: Galley
Anneka Soleblume:
"Where were the two groups supposed to link up? If it's the bridge then I would suggest a point a mile or two further back just in case there's a problem."


"Originally, they were supposed to scout out and secure the bridge for us, and we arrive afterwards. Which was good because we have a manpower issue right now. However, as it seems they have wounded and may not be as... ah, capable of this task as we may have assumed."

Bayer lays out his map on the galley table and indicates with his finger the location, "We'll go with your suggestion Major. 1500 meters north of the bridge. That puts us on the left bank, same as Yazzie, is a closer trek for us, and closer to the boat for assistance if trouble occurs. It has to be north otherwise we'd be walking past the bridge. We can switch riverbanks though if the partisans are not on my intended side. Add that to the list of things to ask when you get comms with them Milk, which side of the river they are on."

"Yazzie will detach early, asap actually. As Minh said, he was going to anyways, but if we take the motorcycle he needs to leave first to give him time to get there and into position. Tuck, you mind going topside, tell him to get a radio and whatever else he needs to get moving?"

"Once we linkup, we will move together and secure the bridge. Yazzie should have had eyes on the objective by then. If its defended by more than a section or so of enemy, we won't attempt to take it. We will adjust ourselves and utilize the firepower of the tug and other team members. Otherwise Minh will get right to work covered by the bridge demo guard. I'll radio the tug to advance so that it arrives when she is ready to clear it. The tug's crane may be needed to remove collapsed debris."

"Major, I know you can't hold a weapon, but can you operate one of the mounted machineguns on the tug?"


"Snowy? Anything you want to add?"

OOC - If the partisans report back anything serious about the enemy this plan is scrapped and we'll organize an actual attack plan. The use of the motorcycle is still unsure since it hasn't been determined if its possible.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:34, Fri 14 Dec 2007.

Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 242 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Fri 14 Dec 2007
at 04:59
Re: Galley
Konrad Bayer:
"Snowy? Anything you want to add?"


"Yeah," says Snowy, looking at the map. "I've never done any indirect fire, so I won't be able to help you with supporting fires unless we bring the vessel up to engagement ranges. I'll designate two positions on the map, one at extreme range and one at long range, to come up if things go south and you need heavy supporting direct fires. This will be your primary combat positions for the tug, we can call them Gold and Silver. This gives you an idea of where we are if you need us in a hurry. If we have to manouevre close into the bridge I'll rely on your or Yazzie's control as you'll have a better handle on the situation than I will. The recognition word will be 'Golf Course' for unknown friendlies to approach the tug for pick up, don't use it over the radio. If you have to approach through cover start yelling it out so we don't dose the area with 12.7mm, we're not mind readers. If you need an emergency pick up under fire, the code word will be 'Cadillac', we'll use the bridge as a baseline so just calculate your position relative to the centre of the bridge and we'll go to that offset position. In this case, your call would be 'Cadillac. South two hundred, East one hundred and fifty' for example. So we have two positions, Gold and Silver, and Golf Course for recognition and Cadillac for pick up."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 350 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 14 Dec 2007
at 05:13
Re: Galley
"I don't anticipate indirect fire. We won't be looking for a fight but if we find ourselves in a bad one, Milk can provide something I'm sure... at least until you maneuver into line of sight. I know ammo is low, so we'll only request mortar fire if necessary."

When Snowy begins outlining the nautical element to the plan, Bayer quickly copies down the codewords and other important information. He studies the map where Snowy indicates and nods that he understands. He'll look his notes over again later to make sure he can remember it, and then trash the paper before heading out.

"Thanks for your input Snowy. If things go as planned you won't be waiting long here. Once Quyen begins rigging the bridge I'm going to call you up."


[Private to Trevor 'Snowy' White: Nice work Snowy. Thanks for being so detailed. I hope you are still ok with being onboard, for the moment.]

OOC - Motorcycle it is then. Dawid drives, Quyen on back and Bayer in sidecar. Thats do-able right? We'll be going slow and not motorcrossing over Poland.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:16, Fri 14 Dec 2007.