Ch. 9: Sandomierz.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: archive 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 660 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 12 Apr 2008
at 21:21
Capter 9: Sandomierz

“There is nothing regular about the Vistula, nothing sorted out by human work, everything has been designed by thousand-year old natural processes, disheveled, mutually penetrating and interwoven in countless curvatures. Scandalous mess, shocking water engineers and navigators.”

-Wojciech Giełżyński
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 661 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 12 Apr 2008
at 22:23
Capter 9: Sandomierz

Saturday, October 7th, 2000
1200 hrs.
Sandomierz, Poland
40 F
Heavy Clouds


Chopper and Switek are the first to arrive on the outskirts of the small city of Sandomierz, once one of Poland's most important but having been reduced in significance over recent centuries to a quaint tourist destination. At least, that was its status before the war. Its current status is somewhat murky, although the Hetman of Tarnobrzeg intimated that Sandomierz was once again becoming a regional force. On Adam's last trip down and back up the Vistula, Sandomierz had been garrisoned by a group of unpleasantly disposed Polish army troops. Since then, the regime had changed, and its mercantile feelers had managed to stretch all the way out to Krakow, precipitating the Visla Krolowa's current trade mission.

On the landward approach to the medieval city, the requisite heavily armed checkpoint bars the way along the highway. An apparently immobile M-113 APC, surrounded by a thick layer of sandbags and topped by a KPV HMG, has been parked along the road about a kilometer outside the city proper. A large truck, similarly modified but unarmed, book-ends the road on the other side. At least a dozen armed men, half clad in civilian garb, the other sporting Soviet uniforms, man the position. At the sight of the approaching three-wheeled "technical", the men quickly take up defensive positions and bring their weapons to bear on the approaching strangers.

From the river, the city looms larger as the Krolowa creeps nearer on its one good engine, the other having been shut down until Jozef has a chance to inspect it thoroughly for damage after the Czech's brief rampage. A much battered medieval fortress, once the stronghold of Polish hero Casimir the Great, overlooks the river from the heights on the southern edge of town. The bridge across the river appears intact, if a little worse for wear. A bunker sits at its midpoint. Peeling white paint adorns most of the bridge, save for two large segments of the span which appear to have been repaired or rebuilt after what was probably an airstrike or two, some time ago.

The city itself is an odd admixture of the medieval and the modern, both similarly abused and neglected in recent years, giving the overall impression of lingering death and slow decay. In its day, it must have been quite beautiful. Now, with a band of thick grey clouds approaching from the north, the city appears unwelcome, geriatric, almost ominous. How the city, with its standing road bridge over the Vistula, and less than a 100km from the seat of the Polish Communist government at Lublin, has managed to avoid WARPACT military cantoment is anybody's guess.

An armed pilot boat meets the Krolowa about a kilometer from the city. Its independent ORMO representative boards the tug and, once satisfied that it is the long-awaited, legitimate merchant vessel from Krakow and not an IPAT Trojan Horse, returns to his vessel to guide the tug to the Sandomierz Boatyard.

The boatyard looks more like a junkyard, a myriad of rusted, derelict vessels bobbing in the river nearby or dragged up and deposited onto the shore. The repair facilities, although reputedly once quite well staffed and thoroughly equipped, look to have been used seldomly in the last few years. Bits and pieces of equipment lie around happhazzardly, the larger machines- compressors, welding equipment, cranes, loaders, and the like- appear to have been commandeered for use elsewhere or stripped for spare parts.

A small welcoming party waits by the slips, a half-dozen armed men surrounding a small, spectacled, balding VIP clad in a black trench coat. An armed footman holding an umbrella over the dignitary's bare pate stands at his side. As the Krolowa is slowly and deftly manouvered into place along the facility's sturdiest looking pier, the welcoming party approaches and, as Walter and Snowy secure the now stationary tug to the stauntions set into the concrete dock, climbs aboard.

Approaching the members of the tug's crew assembled on (or overlooking) the main deck, the small man speaks in a high, lilting, almost efemminate voice,

"Welcome to Sandomierz. I am Nalor Sosin, mayor of Sandomierz. We have been anxiously awaiting your safe arrival. I hope that the folks in Tarnobrzeg did not give you too much trouble?"

The man's smile wanes as he notes the overtly unammused reaction of the tug's contingent to his attempt at levity.

"I see. I am sorry for your... er, trouble. Well, you are safe here, at least. We must speak more of the situation at Tarnobrzeg later. Please, though, do not trouble yourselves about it any longer. You are all free to come ashore. There are a handful of pubs, taverns, and restaurants still in operation within the city. I must insist, however, that all firearms be left on board your vessel for the duration of your stay. Only members of the city guard are allowed to carry weapons within the city. I must return to the castle in order to schedule a meeting with the Commandant to finalize the terms of our trade agreement with the Krakow Rada. He will likely wish to speak to you after his afternoon nap- say, at around three o-clock, or so. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to do as you wish. Please, make yourselves at home."

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:27, Sat 03 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 132 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 09:02
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Griet finished looking over her papers, she had three more hours to prepare for the meeting, she hoped the results were better than her last negotiations, not that the meeting with the Hetman had been a failure, fighting against T'brzeg's prepared positions would probably have killed them all, but even one death left a bad taste in the mouth.

She looked at the ship's inventory and cargo manifest and tried to find a way of meeting all the priorities she had. She rubbed her forehead and stoped for a while. She headed out onto the wheeldeck and found the Major and Kaptain. She cleared her throat and began, "Major, Kaptain, this port of call may be the last chance we have to trade for anything we need on this trip. After this, if you and Adam insist on heading on, things will get ever more difficult. Now, despite my duties to the Krakow ORMO, I have to admit that I don't relish having to try to force a passage through the Hetman's lands again. If this place has a radio powerful enough to reach Krakow, I will reccomend that they send a military expedition to deal with the problem. If there isn't such a radio, we are pretty much on our own. I will try to alter the deal I am authorised to make so that we can buy the things we need to support Adam's dream and defend the boat. At the same time, the boat security unit has accumulated some goods that have value. I would suggest that you use the opportunity to trade offf the extra arms we have for things that will help ensure the survival and comfort of individual team weapons, I will do my best to secure heavy weaponry and ammunition. I would appreciate people's advice on what ammo and arms I should try for."
Jay 'Chopper' Hicks
 player, 127 posts
 EN1 (Engineman 1st Class)
 U.S. Navy
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 10:19
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Hicks slows the Ural motorcycle down and pulls in the clutch, allowing it to coast to a stop. He keeps both hands on the grips. "Well Mr. Switek, I hope that you can talk a pretty talk. I'm sure glad you're here instead of my fellow American. How do you want to handle this?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 569 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 11:56
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Bayer digs out his ragged field pad and reads over the list of items they had expressed a need for. He ignored the 23mm ammo for obvious reasons. "I think nobody will disagree that our main interest is 82mm mortar bombs. As far as weapons are concerned, I would much rather spend what we can on mortar and AGS ammunition than more weapons. The weight in ammo is far more valuable and practical than extra guns. Although something cheap with an anti-armour capability may be necessary in the Pact controlled area... a recoilless rifle perhaps."

Nodding to the dock he adds, "You also need to tell them as soon as possible we are expecting to meet some of our people here. We would appreciate some help in getting back together."

Looking at the town he continues, "Changing the topic somewhat again... nobody goes wandering around town alone at anytime. Also, not everyone goes at the same time for shore time. We'll get two shifts going."

Looking back at Griet and the others in the bridge he gets back on track, "Ja. So... thats where I stand. Mortar and AGS ammo. And if anything larger, something simple to defeat armour at medium range... but even then..." he trails off.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:57, Sun 13 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 133 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 12:13
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Griet nodded, "That is wise, Kaptain," she agreed, "if you arrange shore parties and rosters, I'll inform the authorities of our friends immediately."

She gingerly climbed down to the main deck and walked over to one of the guards on the shore, "Excuse me," she began politely, "we have two companions coming here by road. they are in a motor-cycle and side car combination and carrying an American heavy grenade launcher. We would be greatful if they could be allowed to join us as soon as possible. Would you relay that to whoever is in charge of the road entrances please?"

Once she was sure the guard had understood, she went back to working out what they'd be likely to get for their cargo, as well as what they needed. She made her way back up to the Bridge and said to Adam, "I've worked out what we need to get for each person we pick up, it is quite a lot, at least several bicycles per person. Could you give me a rough estimate as to how many you want me to prepare for? It is important as it will impact on what we can trade for in ammo. We need to balance having the firepower to get to Warsaw with being able to cater for the people we are rescuing. This cargo is the last stuff we have that we can trade, with it we need to equip ourselves to get to Warsaw and to return to wherever it is your family needs to settle. I'd advise against Krakow, we are burning our bridges to there as we speak."
Minh Quyen
 player, 180 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 12:54
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
After stowing the dead IPAT away and collecting her handcuffs, Quyen returned to the bow to watch the tug enter Sandomierz. After it was moored and the meeting with the mayor concluded, she wandered over to her gear. She was expecting, or hoping rather, for some free time. Digging out what few meager trade items she had left, she imagined what she might look for in any open market she hoped to come across. Smokes topped the list, but wasn't the only thing she was looking for of course.

While she waited for orders, she changed into her her cleanest and most unratty clothes. Slipping on her green Adidas hoody and a pair of US issue trousers that Mariusz had recently washed, she then sits on the railing of the tug.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:55, Sun 13 Apr 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 570 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 13:59
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Bayer writes down the names of the team and splits them into two shifts. After erasing and making some minor changes he gathers everyone and assembles them on the forward deck. "Ok. Shift rotation for shore leave... First group ashore will be myself, Griet, Quyen, Dawid, Kasparov, and Stoner. Thats six. We will go ashore for a couple hours, then at 1500 meet with their commandant, before returning."

Continuing, "Meanwhile, Major Soleblume will command the detail on the tug with Milk, Tucker, Snowy, and Mariusz. Thats five and whatever ships crew as well. I won't include Chopper or Switek at this time. Anyways... this group will remain to provide ship security and maintenance. When the first shift returns, the second group will have a couple hours in town so we all get an equal chance."

Looking at the nearly dozen or so faces he adds, "OK? Questions or problems?"

OOC - I split the group simply based on some people being away or won't be posting for a while, or being an NPC (Milks). Thought it'd be easier to post this way. By the time the second group is going to head to shore people should be back to posting I think. Is everyone ok with this or does it not really matter?

This message was last edited by the player at 14:00, Sun 13 Apr 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 52 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 21:05
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Sounds fine by me Captain. I can stay aboard if you need me too. Those asswipes outside of T-breg took all my personal trade goods anyhow. Just one question, though. What do we do with the dead bodies? I'd like to see Viktor get a decent burial, but I don't think the locals would appreciate us tossing the other two overboard. Kind of unhealthy, just keeping them on board.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:08, Sun 13 Apr 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 665 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 00:13
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Sounds fine by me Captain. I can stay aboard if you need me too. Those asswipes outside of T-breg took all my personal trade goods anyhow. Just one question, though. What do we do with the dead bodies? I'd like to see Viktor get a decent burial, but I don't think the locals would appreciate us tossing the other two overboard. Kind of unhealthy, just keeping them on board.


Dawid's powerful body was quivering in outrage. He looked like he was holding back from choking the living shit out of someone by sheer force of will alone.

"Shame on you."

"Even suggesting we dump the body of my friend Artur in the river like... spoiled meat. Instead of giving him a proper Christian burial. Even that Czech was just doing his job and deserves better than that."

"I am very well aware that to you, we Poles (and even the Czechs) are bestial subhumans, but in this matter, yes, I am having to insist."


He bent down and with a grunt began rolling Artur's body in the scavenged tarpaulin that he had helped fold not too long ago, while still alive. Trying to make it look like he rubbing his eyes due to fatigue, he wiped his eyes.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 157 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 03:22
Re: On the Road again...
"I'll help you bury him,Dawid." Jason says rounding the corner. "As long as Konrad has no objections. The two of us could have him buried in under two hours. Less if others help."
Jason looked down at Viktor. "I should have been there, on that station. I owe him that much."Jason looked about. "I'll play porter after that my friends. I didn;t bring much in trade except the M-60 barrel."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:24, Mon 14 Apr 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 191 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 06:39
Re: On the Road again...
Mariusz walked the deck slowly and carefully, watching out for any danger that might threaten the ship.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 571 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 06:41
Re: On the Road again...
"The ahh, people here may have procedures and people assigned to take care of the dead. Perhaps we should consult with them first... if anything to ask for a suitable location. Its their land ja?" Bayer says. "Handling this sort of matter may be organized and such here."

He looks back at Stoner and adds, "I split the group, but if anyone does not wish to go ashore thats ok. I was more worried about leaving the boat unattended than anything. Even with no trade goods, I think it might be good for us to get some time off this boat and if possible and not worry about getting shot."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:42, Mon 14 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 135 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 06:48
Re: On the Road again...
"If you do see something you think would help, come back and talk to us. If it's a big ticket item that will help the boat survive, I might be able to talk Adam into including it in the negotiations," Griet said, "if it's smaller or more personal, the stored weapons in the arms locker are the security unit's to do with as they see fit. I'm sure that the Major and the Kaptain would release some unused weapons for trade, unless they are planning to switch to PACT weaponry to help with ammo resupply."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 159 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 06:50
Re: On the Road again...
Jason nods to Konrads instructions. "As you wish. May we prepare the bodies for burial, and lay them on the barge for now? Perhaps a small service before we depart, for our fallen brothers?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 573 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 08:25
Re: On the Road again...
Jason Kasparov:
"May we prepare the bodies for burial, and lay them on the barge for now? Perhaps a small service before we depart, for our fallen brothers?"


"Ja. The only instructions I have, is the duties shift... and being vigilante while on board. Other than that, do as you wish." Bayer says.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 194 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 08:43
Re: On the Road again...
Mariusz spoke softly to Dawid, "Comrade, would you search through Viktor's things, there maybe something personal you feel would be fitting to bury him with. As for your friend, Artur, well you know what he liked. I'll prepare some shrouds for the burial and I'll ask if they have any Czech flags we can borrow. There may be an old hotel that has some. The town probably has a cemetery we can use."

He squeezed the older Pole's shoulder and made his way to the galley. One of the preserved fruit jars was a pre-war cherries in kirsch, it should be exquisite to eat and he'd been saving it for a special occasion. He pocketed it and went out to one of the shore guards. He caught the man's attention and called him over. He showed him the jar and watched the man's eyes light up.

"We have comrades to bury," he said solemnly, "one was Czech, if you can find me a czech flag we can borrow to bury him, this is yours. Deal?"

He waited to see the guard's response and then headed to the tool room. He found several lengths of canvas, some string and a large sail-making needle. He laid this next to the bodies and went for some hot water, a sponge and some cloths.

He took off the boots and outer jackets of the three bodies and tried as best he could to clean up the mess around their faces. It was difficult to do much for Victor as the shrapnel had ruined his face.

He crossed their arms and laid each one on a canvass sheet. He sewed up the bottom and the middle until only the faces were uncovered. He put the clothes and boots to one side and laid out the contents of the clothes. Dawid could decide what would be buried with them.

He carried the bloodied jackets and boots up to the laundry and returned to await Dawid.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 53 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 13:07
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Dawid's powerful body was quivering in outrage. He looked like he was holding back from choking the living shit out of someone by sheer force of will alone.

"Shame on you."

"Even suggesting we dump the body of my friend Artur in the river like... spoiled meat. Instead of giving him a proper Christian burial. Even that Czech was just doing his job and deserves better than that."

"I am very well aware that to you, we Poles (and even the Czechs) are bestial subhumans, but in this matter, yes, I am having to insist."


He bent down and with a grunt began rolling Artur's body in the scavenged tarpaulin that he had helped fold not too long ago, while still alive. Trying to make it look like he rubbing his eyes due to fatigue, he wiped his eyes.


Well, shit, if it means that much to you I'll help dig the hole.  With that, Dave assist Dawid geting the bodies ready for disposal.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 361 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 15:35
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
"I think the 23 & 82 Mike-Mike rounds are what got us through this point, the 82 rounds being more potent and packing a bigger and obvious punch.  Dawid's skill on it has made it our main armamnet and we need to stock up on those as much as we can.  I know some were short on .223 caliber rounds for our rifles?

I think if we get our hands on some RPG's or some LAW's, that should cover us somewhat.  I've got a small surplus of 40 Mike-Mike grenades for my launcher.  If we can get some of them and some for our PACT personal launchers, that would set us good for landing parties.  One last thing, I don't think a couple more shotguns would be a bad idea for having on board

Got no problems on taking the second wave into town.  Gives us a little time to tidy up some.  Be safe,"
Robert says as he reports to Major Soleblume for duty assignment.

Tucker
Slung M-16A2/M-203
On board tug for clean up & maintenance
Minh Quyen
 player, 181 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 16:05
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
After Konrad's meeting on the deck, Quyen leaves to stow away her rifle and M9 alongside her bunk space. Throwing her small bag of trade items over her shoulder she wanders over to where Mariusz is working on the dead. "Maybe we should keep their boots. Someone might be able to trade em in town for a drink or meal or something. Just an idea... they won't we needing them anymore."

Looking over at Jason she says, "I'm hoping there's a market. I want to try and trade for some smokes, playing cards, and maybe something fresh to eat."

Then as the idea came to her she points at Griet, "Hey chickens. I'm sure getting some can't be that expensive. Chickens will give us eggs and eventually meat too."

Quyen
Main Deck
Waiting to go ashore

This message was last edited by the player at 16:09, Mon 14 Apr 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 161 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 16:27
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Jason smiled at Minh. He had seen her since the firefight, and she was truly a sight for sore eyes. Without thinking, he ran over and embraced her.

"Thank God your ok." he said touching her head. The swelling had gone down, but the lump was still there. "What happened? Thats quite an egg you have there yourself."

Realizing he was holding her, he breaks from his spell and steps back. "Sorry. I was just worried. A market would be a miracle."

He goes back over to Mariusz, helping him shroud the fallen. "Food is a priority, as well as ammo. Perhaps they might even have a way to work off some trade? Maybe some manual labor?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 182 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 17:28
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Jason's actions caught her off guard and she wasn't sure how to respond. Whatever... at least somebody cares, she thought after a moment. Laughing it off she says, "Hit my head on the deck... hovercraft thing shot and I was knocked down. Still hurts a little, but no big deal."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 664 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 01:28
Shore Leave

Checkpoint

Switek [NPCed] studies the guards, noting their extreme nervousness. This is the perfect opportunity for Chopper and himself to get themselves shot, he concludes- one wrong word or gesture could provoke a fusilade of bullets in response. He raises his hands, keeping them well clear of the mounted Mk-19, and calls out a greeting, using the chaplain's tone and volume usually reserved for homilies regarding temperence,

"Hello brothers! We are part of a riverborne trade expedition from Krakow. We wish to enter the city."

A man steps out into the road, his rifle held at waist-level but pointed at the motorcycle. He approaches slowly. At about 20m, he yells [in Polish],

"Step away from the motorcycle! Keep your hands were I can see 'em!"

In Sandomierz

The mayor departs with the assurance that the city guard will be notified to allow entrance to a motorcycle/sidecar combo, leaving the Krolowa's crew to await the scheduled 3 o'clock meeting with the city's "commandant". While half of the security team stays busy on board the moored Krolowa under the curious stares of a trio of dock guards, the first shift ashore moves away from the riverside and deeper into the city.

Many of the city's buildings near the waterfront appear unnoccupied, with broken or boarded windows. The few civilians on the side streets quickly and quietly go about their business and seem completely indifferent to the sight of out-of-towners. The population of the city is quite obviously a shade of its pre-war levels.

Nearing the main east-west road through the city (the same road that passes over the bridge), the number of occupied/utilized buildings grows. Several storefronts line the main thoroughfair advertising with crude hand-painted signs all manner of goods and services. Within a single city block the team counts at least two pubs, a butcher, two green-grocers, a bakery, several retail (read pawn) shops, and what appears to be a brothel. Apparently, at least some merchant traffic passes through the city from time to time, bringing with it various appetites and fresh coin to spend.

A small cluster of four armed militiamen, all clad in Soviet fatigues, mill about outside the nearest pub- "The Old Boot", if the translation of the sign hanging above its facade is correct- eying the Krolowa's shore party. The militiamen snicker and converse in rapid-fire Russian, continuing to gawk at the approaching team. The shore party can pick out a few choice words- "Americans" repeated several times among various expletives (usually the first words anyone learns in a new language). From the volume of their voices, the militiamen intend for their unflattering comments to be heard.

Actions?
Jason Kasparov
 player, 162 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 04:51
Re: Shore Leave
As the small party walks through the town, Jason covers the rear, keeping close to Minh, for both the pleasure of her conversation and to keep a protective watch over her. Passing the shops, he points out the potential for cigarettes to her.

"Maybe you can trade your egg on your head for a pack of smokes?"
he chides, trying to make light of her injury. As they walk by the bar, he keeps a vigilant eye on the Russians standing out front. He makes a point of shielding Minh from their view.

"Captain, perhaps we should take some sort of formation."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 137 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 07:10
Re: Shore Leave
Griet's mind was full of the negotiations to come. Juggling resources had never been her favourite task in the Navy and now she found herself preparing to do so once more, this time the resources were scarcer and the stakes higher. If she guessed wrong and they ended up short of something they needed later, people might die.

She heard Kasparov's suggestion of forming up in response to the Russian's insults. She felt that might well be the provocation they needed, if they needed any provocation, to start trouble. They were ashore now and any tenuous claim to authority over the Mercs she had ended at the gang plank. She held her tongue and hoped that the Kaptain would make a sensible decision.

She looked over at the pawn shops and wondered if they had any English Language books, having the time to read would be a luxury indeed and if they did find English books she could practice her English, her speech was getting better, but she needed more reading and writing practice.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 574 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 07:32
Re: Shore Leave
"Ignore them. They only want a reaction." Bayer speaks softly looking interestingly at the businesses. "It's not a public market Quyen, but perhaps we can find some things in here." he says pointing to the pawn shops.

As he leads the group inside, he leads Griet into the front with his hand, "Would you mind telling him? We are looking for cigarettes, playing cards, English literature, and whatever else the rest here may want."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 138 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 08:05
Re: Shore Leave
Griet gave the shopkeeper her best smile, "Good afternoon, Sir. My friends and I are looking for the availability and prices of certain items, in particular, my friends are looking for playing cards, books, especially any in English and cigarettes. Would you have any of these items for sale?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 667 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 11:16
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Well, shit, if it means that much to you I'll help dig the hole.  With that, Dave assist Dawid geting the bodies ready for disposal.


Gaining control of himself, Dawid managed a weak smile at Bones.

"Thank you Bones, my friend."

"You would think after seeing so many comrades die, that I would be used to it. Still, death is not my friend."

"Jason, Mariusz, thank you both as well.

"Wasn't Viktor was part of the town ORMO? If so they will probably want some kind of report on him. I didn't know him well enough to judge what he would have felt as special. Perhaps his green infantryman's beret, as he was a Motor Rifleman."

"As for my friend Artur... I will check for some photographs he showed me once of his wife and children. Also, he had a St. Casmir icon (picture) folded up and kept in a pocket."

"These were good men. These were not criminals. Perhaps they believed in the wrong thing, but they had some kind of faith."


He wouldn't allow someone to take Artur's or Viktor's boots, any more than their wedding rings or any gold teeth.
Minh Quyen
 player, 184 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 12:51
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Quyen lays on the table a few of her trade items, a complete set of lockpics, 4 AA batteries, a pair of battered binoculars, three gold rings, a combination lock, an RPG-16 HEAT round, and an unopened, prewar bar of Ivory soap. Pointing to the binos she says, "One of the lenses are broken... but it still works fine."

She thought surely in these post-war times, somebody, somewhere, would see something she has an object of value. She hoped today, if not in this pawn shop, she would meet such person.

"That soap... they don't make stuff like that quality anymore. Make a nice luxury item eh? Good for some wife of the town's elite?" Quyen promoted her stuff. "I've got the combo to the lock of course... and those lockpicks are precision crafted." Holding up one of the rings she continues, "Not fake of course."

Looking over the shoulder of the shop merchant, at his goods, she adds, "Got any hens?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 185 posts
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 12:51
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz

This message was deleted by the player at 12:52, Tue 15 Apr 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 195 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 13:42
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Mariusz nodded solemnly as Dawid made his decisions, he placed the picture in one of Artur'shands and his family picture next to his heart. Viktor's beret went over his heart and Mariusz gently pinned the medals he'd found in the man's pocket book.

Mariusz had already made sure that personal jewelry and gold filling had remained with the person. He saw a few letters written to the Czech soldier and popped those in a pocket. There were others he'd written, Mariusz showed them to Dawid, "What should we do with these? Bury them with them or keep them in case the post ever gets running?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 669 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 16:08
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz nodded solemnly as Dawid made his decisions, he placed the picture in one of Artur'shands and his family picture next to his heart. Viktor's beret went over his heart and Mariusz gently pinned the medals he'd found in the man's pocket book.

Mariusz had already made sure that personal jewelry and gold filling had remained with the person. He saw a few letters written to the Czech soldier and popped those in a pocket. There were others he'd written, Mariusz showed them to Dawid, "What should we do with these? Bury them with them or keep them in case the post ever gets running?"


Clearly touched, Dawid took a few seconds.

"You are very perceptive. I would suppose any letters to him are ones he kept from family and loved ones, and are private. The others, sure, let us see if perhaps they will be delivered."

"I feel in my heart that we must keep alive some belief that one day things will get better for our beloved Poland. That the mail will come, that there will be laws and justice and a fair court (which our people have not see for generations). We must believe that one day good people like Artur will help cast down the petty tyrants, instead of paying to keep them in power with their blood."


He sighed, looking at the footgear and figuring with a practiced eye how much they would fetch in trade.

"As for their boots, while they are perhaps worth a few zlotnys in trade, is it worth stripping away what little dignity they possess? Truly, we have taken everything else away from them. Let's leave them that."

9mm Stechkin (21/21)
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 667 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 15 Apr 2008
at 23:43
The Pawn Shop

Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet gave the shopkeeper her best smile, "Good afternoon, Sir. My friends and I are looking for the availability and prices of certain items, in particular, my friends are looking for playing cards, books, especially any in English and cigarettes. Would you have any of these items for sale?"


The shopkeeper, a man with facial burns and an eye-patch who appears to be in his mid to late thirties, nods, fingering the items Minh has placed on his counter. The counter runs across the width of the building, near the storefront, and a length of chain-link fence extending from countertop to ceiling, save for a small aperture through which most transactions would appear to take place. A sawed-off, double barrel shotgun sits just out of reach of the transaction slot, discouraging would be shop-lifters.

The proprietor dissappears into the darkness of back of the store- piled high with all manner of goods- returning shortly with a deck of 52, an English language Agatha Christie hard-cover, an anthology of sci-fi short stories, and a "bodice ripper" romance novel.

"Booze and cigarettes are next door. Chickens are two doors down." he adds with a chuckle. "I'll take all of this [indicating Minh's goods] and make sure you get a pack of smokes and a nice, plump, egg-laying hen too. Deal?"* Noting the gentlemen among the group he adds, "I've got a couple of Playboys too, if you're interested..."

He glances nervously past his new patrons towards the front of the store. The four Russians the team passed earlier loiter just outside.

Actions?

*OOC: the proffered deal is Minh's soap, binos, lock, pick set, batteries and gold rings, for the playing cards, 3 books, a pack of cigarettes (quality unkown), and a hen.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:52, Tue 15 Apr 2008.

Jay 'Chopper' Hicks
 player, 128 posts
 EN1 (Engineman 1st Class)
 U.S. Navy
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 00:54
Re: Shore Leave
Cap'n Rae:
Checkpoint

Switek [NPCed] studies the guards, noting their extreme nervousness. This is the perfect opportunity for Chopper and himself to get themselves shot, he concludes- one wrong word or gesture could provoke a fusilade of bullets in response. He raises his hands, keeping them well clear of the mounted Mk-19, and calls out a greeting, using the chaplain's tone and volume usually reserved for homilies regarding temperence,

"Hello brothers! We are part of a riverborne trade expedition from Krakow. We wish to enter the city."

A man steps out into the road, his rifle held at waist-level but pointed at the motorcycle. He approaches slowly. At about 20m, he yells [in Polish],

"Step away from the motorcycle! Keep your hands were I can see 'em!"


"Well, that seems obvious" Hicks allows the idle to die down, and both brakes engaged, pops the clutch the kill the motor. He raises his arms high above his head and throws his leg over the front of the bike to dismount. He moves a couple of meters away and waits, hoping that he doesn't have to test the bullet proofness of his vest procured by the government from the lowest bidder.
Minh Quyen
 player, 187 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 07:25
Re: Shore Leave
With the smokers Chopper and Dawid in mind, Quyen taps the smokes on the table and flips he hand up showing three fingers. "Take back one book if you want... but I should get three packs of smokes. Those lock picks alone are top shit."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:25, Wed 16 Apr 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 196 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 09:50
Re: Shore Leave
Mariusz polished the boots up as best he could and showed them to Dawid, "If they are going to the final parade, they might as well look their best."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:50, Wed 16 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 139 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 11:27
Re: Shore Leave
Griet listened to Minh for a moment and said, "My friend says that she'll not have one of the books if you can offer her three packs of cigarettes. If you cut her a good deal this time, I'll make sure the others buy from you when they come ashore."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 576 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 12:12
Re: Shore Leave
Bayer stands off the to the side as Griet and Quyen haggle with the merchant. He mutters to Jason, "Russians outside... looking for trouble." Rubbing the back of his neck he adds, "Apparently it seems they don't get enough action from the IPAT in Tarnobzreg. In any case, lets keep calm."

As the agreement for the trade was being finalized, Bayer leans in close to Griet. "When we leave, tell those Russians up front we have business with the commandante. Maybe he's got his dogs on a short enough leash, that it is all these guys will have to hear to piss off."

After Quyen gets (or doesn't get) her extra smokes, he says aloud, "Lets go collect that big hen ja?"

This message was last edited by the player at 12:19, Wed 16 Apr 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 164 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 14:24
Re: Shore Leave
"If it comes down to trouble, we will need to get the others back to the ship quickly." Jason replies to Konrad. "What type of action do you want to take? Perhaps a diversion? I could walk out alone and try to lead them off. Divide their numbers?"

Jason looks at Griet. "Ask how many cigarettes this will buy," he states giving her his 9mm, "and perhaps another hen? Ask him to toss in the other book and some toilet paper and I have three more magazines to sweeten the deal."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 140 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 14:43
Re: Shore Leave
"My other companion is asking that if he adds this pistol and three magazines, could he have the book another hen and more cigarettes? He'd like toilet paper as well but I doubt we have that much." she smiled again.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 577 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 14:45
Re: Shore Leave
Jason Kasparov:
"If it comes down to trouble, we will need to get the others back to the ship quickly." Jason replies to Konrad. "What type of action do you want to take? Perhaps a diversion? I could walk out alone and try to lead them off. Divide their numbers?"


"I don't think it'd be safe for anyone to go alone. Lets stick together and see first if they'll back down once they know we have business with their commander. If not... well we will just do what we can." Bayer responds. "They may only be looking to intimidate. If we remain professional and unafraid it might be nothing. Lets just see."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 165 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 15:01
Re: Shore Leave
"Very well. Hopefully the vodka hasn't boosted their ego's to the point of stupidity. It is only mid day."

Jason glances back across the street. "Do you speak any Russian? Maybe you can get a feeling for their intentions?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 141 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 18:24
Re: Shore Leave
Griet looked over at Konrad and said, "My Russian's not great, but I'll speak with them if you want."
She waited for Konrad's anser and thought about what she had that she could trade at the inn the guards were drinking at for some "social lubrication".
Konrad Bayer
 player, 578 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 20:28
Re: Shore Leave
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet looked over at Konrad and said, "My Russian's not great, but I'll speak with them if you want."
She waited for Konrad's anser and thought about what she had that she could trade at the inn the guards were drinking at for some "social lubrication".


"Ja. Once this deal is done." he says.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 362 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 16 Apr 2008
at 22:54
Boat Duties
Tucker will follow up his assigned duties or watches on the tug while the others are out and about in town.  He will go over his weapons and whatever else is assigned to him by Major Soleblume.

Tucker
Slung M-16A2/M-203
Waiting on tug
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 668 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 00:23
Hard Bargains
Griet Niewiadomska:
"My other companion is asking that if he adds this pistol and three magazines, could he have the book another hen and more cigarettes? He'd like toilet paper as well but I doubt we have that much." she smiled again.


The shopkeeper snorts in disapproval,

"More cigarettes? This isn't Cuba, my friends. You may be able to get more in one of my competetitors' stores, if you like the Soviet crap variety cut with sawdust- if you're lucky, eh. These are the real deal. Take 'em or leave 'em. As for toilet paper, that's about all these are good for nowadays." he says, indicating the books.

His one good eye darting back and forth between Jason's well-maintained pistol and the Russians loitering outside, he adds,

"You really shouldn't have this here, you know. It's not really my thing but I'll save you all some trouble and take this off of your hands. I'll even throw in a second pack of cigarettes and another hen. You can keep the field glasses, though- I've got plenty of those. That's my final offer unless you've got something else to put on the table."

The Russian soldiers continue to mill around outside, taking turns looking into the storefront, attempting to be subtle, but failing rather miserably.

Actions?

OOC: The deal is the lock, lock picking kit, the gold rings, the soap, the batteries, and the pistol/ammo for the 3 English language books, two hens, a deck of cards, and two packs of 100% tobacco cigarettes.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:29, Thu 17 Apr 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 54 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 02:37
Burial prep
As Dawid and Mariusz are getting the bodies ready for burial, Dave picks up the Makarov pistol from Viktor's body. Looking at the two Poles he asks "Do you mind if I keep this? It came from the ship stores, and I'm without a sidearm." If neither has an objection, he'll stick the pistol in the waistband of his jeans, and pocket any extra magazines. If they object, he'll gently replace the weapon.

After that, Dave goes belowdecks and emerges shortly with a pair of shovels. Looking at the docks, he sees a man obviously with the local ORMO. He climbs ashore and approaches the guard.

Do you speak English? Habla Espaniol? Is there a cemetary around where we can bury some bodies? Two are good sons of Poland, the other is a Czech.

Hopefully the man will give him some directions, and he'll get to work digging while Mariusz and Dawid prep the bodies.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 671 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 05:14
Re: Burial prep
"Bones my friend, the pistol was ours to begin with, if he stole it then he shouldn't keep it."

If he sees David talking to the ORMO, Dawid goes over to talk to them himself in either Polish or Russian (whichever they speak).

"Also, do you know where we may acquire some 82mm ammunition?"

Stechkin (21/21)

This message was last edited by the player at 09:00, Thu 17 Apr 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 166 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 05:50
Re: Deal or no deal?
Jason looks at Minh, as the deal is offered. "Take it.I want the sci fi book, we can use the hens, and I want you to have the smokes."  He slides the pistol and the magazines across the counter.

He sees the shopkeeper glance out the window, and notices the very obvious Russians. "Finish up here." He whistles at Konrad. "We have trouble. I'm going to stand by the door. Give me your input boss."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 142 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 06:48
Re: Deal or no deal?
Griet smiled at the shop-keeper and said, "Thanks. We'll take what you are offering and make sure our friends come here too. We'd assumed there'd be no problem about bringing unloaded weapons in for trading , so thanks for the info there. If we want to trade more weapons, who would be best to talk to?"

She noticed the growing commotion at the door and said, "I'd better try and help smooth things over, I'll come back later, and thanks again."

She hurried over to Bayer and said, "Would you like me to try talking to them?"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 197 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 06:49
Re: Deal or no deal?
Mariusz finished with the bodies and then took a turn of the deck to ensure everything was OK.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 579 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 07:26
Deal
"Ja ok. Good deal... good enough anyways." Bayer says quietly. Picking up one of the hens he says more positively, "Eggs. Good idea Minh."

Approaching the door, he says "Ok, outside. Griet tell them who we are dealing with here, the commandant. The rest of us, don't encourage them, but be ready. Jason, take the rear."

Bayer will then exit the store first but step aside once he is outside to allow Griet to follow and quickly speak to the Russians.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:26, Thu 17 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 143 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 08:02
Subtle Russkies
Griet walked out of the shop with Bayer and walked toward the Russian with the highest rank, she looked up at him and smiled, "Good afternoon, my name is Griet Niewiadomska, I'm the trade delegate representing the Krakow ORMO. I have a meeting with your Commandant at Three O'Clock this afternoon and I'm curious to know what sort of a man he is, you seem interested in us, I don't blame you, I'd keep a close eye on anyone new in town too."

She continued to smile and act as if there was no threat. Throwing weight around often didn't work she'd found so instead of assuming a confrontational attitude, she worked on the assumption that everything was OK. She'd often found that if you appeared confident and friendly, that was what you got in return.
Minh Quyen
 player, 188 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 10:26
Re: Subtle Russkies
Quyen grabs the smokes and pockets them away. She leaves the books for the others to collect. Picking up the second hen she tucks under her arm and follows Griet towards the door. Stopping for a moment and nodding a thanks to the one eyed dealer. Leaving the pawn shop she stands between Bayer and Griet, paying more attention to the hen than the Russians.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 55 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 11:00
Re: Burial prep
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Bones my friend, the pistol was ours to begin with, if he stole it then he shouldn't keep it."
Stechkin (21/21)


Oh, he didn't steal it, it was part of what we was issued when we came aboard. Those assclowns at that village where you picked us up took all our gear.


Dave
Makarov (concealed under shirt)
2 shovels
Looking for a burial site

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 672 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 11:55
Re: Burial prep
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Oh, he didn't steal it, it was part of what we was issued when we came aboard. Those assclowns at that village where you picked us up took all our gear.


"Oh in that case, no harm no foul. Leaving his boots is one thing, but a weapon? We're not Knights of the Middle Ages, to be buried with our swords to soldier for Christ in Heaven. May it keep you safe."

9mm Stechkin (21/21)

This message was last edited by the player at 11:56, Thu 17 Apr 2008.

Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 301 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 21:23
Re: Burial prep
Snowy cleaned his weapons and then stretched, sore and still a bit wobbly with adrenalin. He put his batteries on charge and dropped in to see how Tadeusz was doing. He crouches besides the older man's bunk and says quietly;
"You alright mate? You sure blew that bloke away, we'll be swabbing him off the roof. Lie still for a while and have a rest, we'll look after the old man for you. If you want anything, just give a shout . . . and no, you can't have a drink."

Stowing the 12 gauge, he goes up to the wheel house to see how Adam is doing. "How's it going mate? You look a bit shagged out, how about a bit of a rest? We'll look after the boat for you while we're tied up. I'm going to do some metalwork, but if you can sleep through it you might want to take the chance. I just popped in on Tadeusz, and even though I can't understand a thing he says I think he's going to be fine. I'll give the decks a good clean up and get everything tightening up when you're in your bunk."

Slinging his helmet off his belt, Snowy settles his blue ACS cap on his head and runs his palm over his unshaven jaw. Writing himself a mental IOU for a shower he heads down to the deck and looks over the wrecked craft for goodies. He's especially interested in maritime mounts for weapons and something to redo his bodgie job on the vasilek. While he's happy to continue to upgrade it the mount, he doesn't mind starting from scratch with a real mount either. The 23mm gun needs a protected mount as well and he never liked it stuck on the barge like that. As well as weapon mounts, armour and other military hardware, he'd really like to hook up an intercom system and is prepared to be more than a little creative; no telephone is safe near him when he's in this mood.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 167 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 17 Apr 2008
at 22:15
Re: Burial prep
Jason grabs the books and falls in line behind Minh. He silently curses himself for forgetting to ask about the sugar packets. Stepping into the doorway, he raises a book up, attempting to look non chalent as he glances at the Russians.

"What are you going to name her?" he asks.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 669 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 00:44
Changing Shifts
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet walked out of the shop with Bayer and walked toward the Russian with the highest rank, she looked up at him and smiled, "Good afternoon, my name is Griet Niewiadomska, I'm the trade delegate representing the Krakow ORMO. I have a meeting with your Commandant at Three O'Clock this afternoon and I'm curious to know what sort of a man he is, you seem interested in us, I don't blame you, I'd keep a close eye on anyone new in town too."


The Russians look somewhat bemused at being addressed by the diminutive yet assertive Polish military servicewoman. They snicker like schoolboys before the leader remembers his job and answers,

"Your friend can't be carrying that pistol around here. All weapons must be checked with the city guard. You'll get a receipt of course."

After Griet explains the fate of Jason's pistol, the guards relent, appearing somewhat disappointed at missing out on just cause for a good scrap. The shore party returns with their swag- and without further incident- to the moored Visla Krolowa.

Shortly before the shore party's arrival back at the pier, the local dock guard responds to Bones and Dawid's inquiry about the city cemetary.

"It's full up. There's a war on, in case you hadn't heard. You'll have to find someplace else to bury your friends. As for mortar rounds, the city guard has a few. You'll have to talk to someone higher up about that, though."

Snowy, scrounging around the workshops for useful scrap, finds all manner of items which, with a little work, could be integrated into the Krolowa's defenses.

[Private to Trevor 'Snowy' White: Let me know what you want and I'll tell you if it's available. Chances are good with all of the derelict vessels floating or laying about.]

Meanwhile, at the highway checkpoint just to the south of the city, Switek and Chopper, seemingly with little choice, consent to being disarmed and searched. Their personal weapons, as well as the Mk-19 AGl, are confiscated, and the pair are briefly detained, until a messenger from the city arrives with a note sent by some higher authority authorizing their passage into the city proper. A signed, handwritten receipt is provided by the officer of the watch, a small dark-haired Russian, for the confiscated weapons. Unarmed, Chopper and Switek remount the trike and head into the city, angling towards the river where the Krolowa is presumably parked.

Actions?

OOC: If the second shift wants to head into town, now's the time. If not, I can fast forward to the meeting. It's up to ya'll.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 56 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 01:51
Re: Changing Shifts
Cap'n Rae:
Shortly before the shore party's arrival back at the pier, the local dock guard responds to Bones and Dawid's inquiry about the city cemetary.

"It's full up. There's a war on, in case you hadn't heard. You'll have to find someplace else to bury your friends. As for mortar rounds, the city guard has a few. You'll have to talk to someone higher up about that, though."

There's a war on? The hell you say. Dave looks flabergasted. I must have missed it for all the dead bodies blocking my view. He turns to Dawid. How about across the river on that slight hill right there, pointing past the Krolowa. We can take them across in the rubber duckie.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 673 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 05:13
Re: Changing Shifts
Cap'n Rae:
Shortly before the shore party's arrival back at the pier, the local dock guard responds to Bones and Dawid's inquiry about the city cemetary.

"It's full up. There's a war on, in case you hadn't heard. You'll have to find someplace else to bury your friends. As for mortar rounds, the city guard has a few. You'll have to talk to someone higher up about that, though."


Dawid looked aggrieved.

"Please, have some compassion. This man, he was one of yours. A comrade. I heard you here were better than those bastards at Tarnobrzeg."

"At any rate, where could I find the city guard? That would be helpful indeed."


Stechkin
[Private to GM: Try a Persuasion check.]
Konrad Bayer
 player, 580 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 06:27
Re: Changing Shifts
On the way back to the tug, Bayer looks at Jason, "Next time you plan on not following the rules, I just want to know about it beforehand ja? For all I know, I could have been held responsible for any problems because of a weapon. You understand yes?"

Aboard the tug, Bayer places the hen he was carrying on the deck. "No sign of Chopper and the partizan yet?" he asks aloud. Looking at his watch he estimates the amount of time before their meeting. "We are back early, and have not yet met the leadership here for the meet. If you want to go on shore leave now, let it be known and don't go anywhere alone. The local militia seem to be be easily provoked into fighting."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:30, Fri 18 Apr 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 168 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 06:41
Re: Changing Shifts
Jason nods to Konrad. "Forgive me sir. I forgot I was even carrying it. Any action they would have taken, I would have accepted all responsibility for. My intentions were nothing of malice."

He looked at the hen. "I did put it to good use though, would you not agree?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 581 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 07:03
Re: Changing Shifts
"Ja. Its no worry now, and it did come in use. I just want to know things ahead of time thats all. In any case, it's over now." Bayer replies to Jason.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 144 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 07:57
Re: Changing Shifts
Griet sat down with her manifests and notes, there were many conflicting needs on the cargo they had to trade, ammunition, humanitarian goods, food, equipping the Krowla, the list appeared endless. She looked up at the second shore party, "Stick with Mariusz and Dawid, they can manage the local language, remember, any weapon you are carrying now, even if they are concealed are to be left behind. If you need to take arms ashore to trade, I'll talk to the Boss of this place at Three and try to come to some sort of arrangement. Major, Kaptain, I'll come up with a long list of things we need and I'll show it to you to come up with a prioritised list."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 198 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 07:59
Re: Changing Shifts
Mariusz said, "I'd like to look at the grocery stores to see what staples are going for, if Griet trades for the basics, we can get some of the luxuries that will make life better, I'm willing to wait until after the main meeting though if no one else wants to go ashore. We also need to find somewhere to bury the dead."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 145 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 08:19
Trading with the Manifest.
Greit worked hard tallying various coluns and trying to make ends meet. Eventually, when she'd completed that, she made the list of equipment that she thought the mission needed, she had no idea as yet how much of it they could acctually trade for so they needed to prioritise carefully. She wrote the list down, copied it and handed it to the officers for their decisions:

Trading List
1) Humanitarian resources for Adam’s rescue mission (Adam still hasn’t come up with a ball park figure about how many people he wants to pick up)
2) 1 month of food for Krowla’s crew and security team
3) Ammunition for the 82mm mortar: HEAT/HE/WP
4) Ammunition for the AGS-17
5) Ammunition for RPG or some sort of medium range AT weapon
6) Ammunition for BG-1s and M203s
7) Access to scrap yard for working on defences
8) 7.62mmL ammunition
9) Explosives, or the components to make explosives
10) Scout boats

We should also try to sell the ZOO-2 to the ORMO as a “fixer-upper” , we might be able to trade the scrap Snowy wants for that if we’re lucky.

Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 303 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 12:53
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
Snowy tools up on metal working kit and heads down the gangway. Anyone stopping him gets a face full of 'strine'; "Jeez cobber, you're as miserable as a bastard on father's day! Ask the old man for me 'curtains-n'-drapers', I've got the okay I reckon. Hey, are you guys good for a beer? How about we get a few suds n' 'ave a chat while I'm doing the hammer work? I reckon we can let the toffs work out the whys-n'-wherefores, we're just working lads gettin' the job done."

He'll start work right away, and will trade for any beer available and share it with the dockside workers. If anyone needs a hand on their tasks, Snowy is quick to lend a hand and happily learns the no doubt corrupt Polish while he's at it.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 582 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 13:38
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"Just what do we have to offer these people anyways . It can't be very much, and not able to cover all ten of those things listed." Bayer says leaning against the main deck's railing. He then rattles off his opinion on what he would say the priority is, divided into three groups.

1) Ammunition for the 82mm mortar: HEAT/HE/WP
2) 1 month of food for Krowla’s crew and security team
3) Ammunition for RPG or some sort of medium range AT weapon

4) Ammunition for the AGS-17
5) Access to scrap yard for working on defences
6) Scout boats
7) Humanitarian resources for Adam’s rescue mission

8) Ammunition for BG-1s and M203s
9) 7.62mmL ammunition
10) Explosives, or the components to make explosives

This message was last edited by the player at 13:39, Fri 18 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 146 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 14:29
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"I can't see Adam trading for anything before the humanitarian stuff. You can try talking to him if you want, he wouldn't budge with me," she sighed, "the problem is, the people here are expecting to trade a load of gunpowder for what we have and they've been stockpiling it for a while. Switching it for something new at this short notice is going to piss them off and make them suspicious. We are going to take a big hit to the value of our cargo for that reason. According to my estimates, one of the mortars we have will provide the humanitarian needs for just eight refugees. That takes a big chunk of what we have. Plus we're switching from trading for something they have a surplus of to trading for things they need too. That means we pay top dollar and some on top. Trust me, we're going to be lucky to get half of what's on that list."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 583 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 15:00
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"Doesn't Adam realize we still have a long way to go? There will be other time to collect humanitarian things, but without other ammo issue that won't be possible." Bayer asks rhetorically. "I still haven't been given an idea of what trade goods Adam has aboard either."

"I don't understand what you mean about the short notice. We only showed up here. How can there be a "new" deal?" he asks. "Gunpowder? I am quite unsure of this whole trade issue."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:01, Fri 18 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 147 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 16:02
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"I'm sorry," she said, "I'd assumed that Adam had briefed you about all of this when he employed you. The Krakow ORMO commandeered this boat to bring a cargo of bicycles, sewing machines and Wojo-built mortars here. We were to return with a cargo of gunpowder for the ORMO. That was my mission. Now, I have found out that Adam intends to go to Warsaw to rescue his surviving family and their community. As you constantly insisted that we were going to Warsaw, I thought you knew this. That is why I kept insisting that we had to go back. After the results in T'brzeg I have come to accept that heading back to Krakow is impossible and I have agreed to try to convince the Sandomierz council that the ORMO supports this change in trade. That's why all of this is going to be so difficult. As to being able to trade for Humanitarian supplies further down the river, that will be hard to do if we trade all our goods here for defences for the boat. Even if we could find the goods down river, we'd have nothing to buy them with."

She paused, "I really think you need to speak with Adam, he seems to have kept you rather in the dark."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 584 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 03:12
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"No no. Some things were just not very clear. Nevermind." Bayer mutters. "Fine... the humanitarian things. Excluding the civilian dealings, the military arms in that order I mentioned is my opinion."

OOC: I joined during Chapter 2 so I had some incorrect and missing info regarding the "official" mission. I had to go do some research - ignore this confusion.

"When the chance comes I want you to talk to them, for a request from me. While you are working out the trade issues with Adam and the local authority here... I want to be able speak with someone here about downriver information. Someone knowledgeable in intelligence matters." he adds. "If they want something in return, I can offer an intelligence report of my own concerning upriver. I figure thats whats most on there mind here... such as Tarnobzreg."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:20, Sat 19 Apr 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 363 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 03:15
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
If anyone is going to try and go into the town, Tucker will accompany them just to take a look around and see what is available.
Minh Quyen
 player, 190 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 04:44
Back Aboard
Having returned to the Krolowa, Quyen loiters on the main deck. She watches the hens roaming about their new home for a while before digging out a pack of her recently acquired smokes. Making her way over to Dawid she holds the pack out, "Share a couple with Chopper huh?"

Quyen then approaches Snowy, "I've got some time working on stuff like that.  If you are going to be working on the tug, I can help. Tell me what I have to do."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 674 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 06:58
Re: Back Aboard
Minh Quyen:
Having returned to the Krolowa, Quyen loiters on the main deck. She watches the hens roaming about their new home for a while before digging out a pack of her recently acquired smokes. Making her way over to Dawid she holds the pack out, "Share a couple with Chopper huh?"


"Of course! Many thanks!"

He does so, and when notified of the restriction on weapons leaves the auto-pistol on the tug.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 169 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 07:41
Re: Back Aboard
Taking his book, Jason heads for the aft Dushka and sits by the rail. Feeling hes done enough damage already, he leans against the deck, and begins to read, hoping to lose himself in another world, far from the hell he is in.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 57 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 15:47
Re: Back Aboard
Hey Dawid, Dave calls out. Bring me back an ice cold beer. I'm going to take care of the bodies.

Jason, would you mind giving me a hand real quick. I'm going to launch the rubber boat and put the bodies on board to take them to the other side of the river to bury. I can handle it once they're on the boat, but putting that thing in the water is a job for two men.


After getting the the bodies and a shovel loaded on the rubber boat, Dave heads directly across the river. He takes his AK with the grenade launcher just in case there is trouble. He finds a suitable spot and starts digging.

OOC: the body issue hasn't been resolved yet. If the ORMO will let them dispose of the bodies in the city, disregard this post.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 672 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 22:46
Adam Speaks

As Milk moves around the tug, advising everyone aboard or nearby that Adam wishes to address the entire team in five minutes on the quarterdeck, Switek and Hicks arrive quayside on the Ural trike.

After those wishing to be present have assembled, the Old man speaks; he seems to have regained some of the vigor depleted when a Soviet anti-tank guided missile tore through the old tug's bridge, nearly decapitating the crew as well as the boat itself just two days ago.

"My friends, I wish to thank all of you for helping us to get this far. It has not been easy and you have sacrificed much."

He pauses briefly, composing himself. Old Adam has also lost much on this journey. Uller may have been a bastard, but he was one of Adam's oldest, closest friends.

"If you wish to stay here in Sandomierz, you will go with my blessing. If you wish to continue on to Warsaw with me and my crew, I will be eternally grateful. Now, I want all of you to be clear as to the nature of my mission. Your decision must be well informed and we need to be on the same page, as they say, when it comes to our dealings with the local ORMO."

He pauses again, regaining his breath.

"I intend to exchange the Rada's cargo for food, medicine, and clothing. We are about to betray the Rada and the Krakow ORMO and therefore, we may never return there. Instead, we are proceeding directly to Warsaw to assist the refugees. Winter is coming quickly this year. Griet has played her part well so far. The Rada had to have every assurance that we would complete the mission that they mandated so it was crucial that they have a trusted representative aboard. However, Griet's true loyalties have always been elsewhere. We were not sure whether any genuine Rada spies were aboard so we have kept up the charade until now. This is the time to end the game. Griet is my daughter."

Adam gives the young woman a brief but affectionate look before continuing.

"She has been in on the plan since the very beginning. Not even Uller knew of her true identity. Now the local authorities here are expecting us to trade our cargo for gunpowder, which they produce in great quantities and reputedly acceptable quality. Griet has forged papers modifying the deal. We must hope that they are accepted as legitimate. If not, we may have some difficulties leaving this place.

"She will conduct the negotiations. I am still too weak to go ashore and we must be ready to leave at once, should the ruse fail. Our main objective must be acquired the maximum amount of supplies for the refugees but I have witnessed the value of the Soviet mortar so more ammunition for it will also take priority; a portion of the value of the cargo will be allocated to that end. The weapons that you have acquired on the voyage are yours to do with as you choose.

Please, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. There must be no more secrets among friends."


[Private to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski: I will roll a persuade check to see if the guard will allow you to bury the dead in the city cemetary. It is truely overcrowded, but some extra space could be found. Also, if you wish to use you second contact now, that is fine. Griet will be attempting to negotiate for more 82mm ammo with the city commandant so it's not really necessary but if you want to see if you can work something out under the table with a contact, that's up to you. ]
Konrad Bayer
 player, 587 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 14:09
Re: Adam Speaks
Bayer greets the two motorcyclists, "Well done. We are pleased you both made it through. We were fortunate ourselves... little damage and only the new Polish man was killed. Your fire support was helpful."

After Adam speaks, Bayer is the first to respond, "I expected to go all the way to Warsaw. Of course I honour my contract to remain." Continuing he adds, "I understand more now about the needs of the trade."

Cap'n Rae:
"The weapons that you have acquired on the voyage are yours to do with as you choose.</Red>


"Ja" he says aloud. "I am going to tentatively submit this for trade. Different munitions or weapons you may have in mind, tell me. Keep it realistic... this is not Krakow."

82mm HE (4 x case of 5 rounds, 20 rounds) - 300 X 4 = 1,200$
82mm WP (2 x case of 3 rounds, 6 rounds) - 300 X 2 = 600$
30mm HE (2 x drums of 29 rounds, 58 rounds) - 75 X 2 = 150$
40mm HE (1 x case of 72 rounds for M203) = 200$
40mm HEDP (1 x case of 72 rounds for Mk19) = 250$
Domestic Food (3 days for 17 people - 102kg) - 4 X 102 = 410$
Field Phones (2 x sets, price based off small hand radios) - 250 X 2 = 500$
RPG-18 HEAT (1 x case of 3 rounds) = 50$
Armour plating/scrap metal plating = Unknown cost

Total worth - 3,360 (+plus armour plating costs)

Trading With...
ZU-23-2 Damaged - reg/15,000 - hoping for around 10% value for damage = 1,500$
AKM Rifles (x5) - 300 X 5 = 1,500$
AK-74 Rifles (x6) - 300 x 6 = 1,800$
Bayonets (x9) - 20 x 9 = 200$

Total worth - 5,000$

This message was last edited by the player at 17:43, Sun 20 Apr 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 192 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 16:35
Re: Adam Speaks
Quyen didn't have to think twice... stay here? Forget it, she thought. "I have no reason to step off. You and the Hauptmann have my loyalty." Quyen says.

After Bayer lists off the armaments, Quyen adds, "82mm HE.. good, they might have some WP too."

After a moment she adds, "Perhaps a raid may be an option. To acquire more that we may not be able to trade for here." She figured most everyone would be aware that with the deteriorating resources and supplies, both sides of the war raided to capture weapons and munitions. "On an isolated IPAT outpost, or bandit camp the locals here may know about."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:36, Sun 20 Apr 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 202 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 17:26
Re: Adam Speaks
"I'd rather see more than three days of food bought. We would then only have five days supplies, in the last six or more days you haven't been able to resupply, so the same problem may occur." said Mariusz, "I'd say we need at least two weeks of supplies, enough to get us to Warsaw. If we can resupply later, that'll be a bonus. Let me shop around, I might be able to get a good deal by buying cheap ingredients that I can make tasty."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 148 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 17:27
Re: Adam Speaks
Griet noded, not trusting herself to speak after being recognised in public for the first time by her father. Her eyes glistened and she wrote everything down carefully as she blinked away the welling tears.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 589 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 17:40
Re: Adam Speaks
Mariusz Tokarski:
"I'd rather see more than three days of food bought. We would then only have five days supplies, in the last six or more days you haven't been able to resupply, so the same problem may occur." said Mariusz, "I'd say we need at least two weeks of supplies, enough to get us to Warsaw. If we can resupply later, that'll be a bonus. Let me shop around, I might be able to get a good deal by buying cheap ingredients that I can make tasty."


"Yes, I only started with a modest amount. We also haven't had resupply since we haven't been practicing acquiring more on our own account. By that I mean foraging, hunting, and the likes." Bayer says. "I also wasn't sure if food was on the trade regarding Griet's work, nor am I aware how much armour plating costs... so I had to list a small amount for the moment. If you can help out as you said, that would be gute."

Nodding to Quyen, he says, "Ja. It is an possible option. Profitable if the target is chosen well. Noted." He then scribbles down 82mm WP on the list.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:45, Sun 20 Apr 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 59 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 21:49
Re: Adam Speaks
I'm fine with going to Warsaw. I'm a little worried about radiation, though. I've picked up so many rads over the last few years I'm surprised I don't glow in the dark.

My main goal is to get back home. I figure the easiest way is downriver to the coast, then maybe get lucky and find a ship. So I'm in.

As far as the food goes, I'm no hunter, but we could rig some lines at the stern and try for some fish to augment our supplies.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 170 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 22:08
Re: Adam Speaks
Jason nods to Bones, and helps him load the dead and carry them off to the raft.  While preparing to move out, he waves bones to stop to hear what Adam has to say. When the old man is finished, Jason raises his hand to speak.

"Adam, while its nobel of you to bear this cross, perhaps your not looking far enough ahead. Warsaw and  the Ormo will try to hunt you down. Perhaps that is a battle you choose to fight, and a nobel one indeed, but they may also take their revenge out on those you wish to help. Think on that for the moment. Now, have we consider getting some fishing nets for this boat? Perhaps we can bring your countryman some salted fish, clams and such. We can raid the russians for supplies, you keep your good word and your honor, and when the mission is over, you repay us by helping us get back home. I don't think anyone here would disagree with that "
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 677 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 02:04
At the Table

Like clockwork, at 1500 hours, a black, eastern European passenger sedan arrives dockside, accompanied by a UAZ light truck. The mayor of Sandomierz emerges from the civilian car and approaches the Krolowa, escorted by his armed, umbrella-weilding footman.

"The commandant is ready to receive you. Any of you who wish to attend are welcome."

The mayor accompanies the Krolowa's representative[s] to the vehicles which, once boarded, pull away from the docks. Under a canopy of dark clouds, they weave through the old city and climb the promontory to the castle.

Its walls are pockmarked, scarred by the impact of heavy artillery and air-dropped bombs. Fortunately for the old fortress- and the city as a whole- the attention of the contesting armies did not long fall upon it. The fight was short and sharp, and circumstances outside of the city necessitated its abandonment as a focus of further unwanted martial ministrations.

The convoy enters the castle through a large gate and long entryway and emerges into an interior courtyard where the vehicles pull to a halt. A heavy rain has begun to fall, darkening the upper walls as the water slowly penetrates the old stone, concrete, and plaster. The sound of a gasoline powered generator echoes through the area, soon grating on the nerves. The group enters the castle proper and weaves through its passages, the older ones long and claustrophobic, the newer ones (a relative term), spacious, direct, and ornate. After what seems like a few minutes, the party emerges into the great hall, cavernous, and still adorned with tapestries. A fire burns brightly in a large fireplace set into the back wall. At a long table set upon a long, raised dais on the left side of the hall, sits a tall, lean man. His narrow face is topped by a cul-de-sac of grey stubble. His eyes are a strikingly youthful ice- blue. He deigns to look up at the entrance of guests, his attention devoted to a roasted drumstick. After a few minutes of awkward silence, he speaks, his voice sharp and nasal, his Polish course and pedestrian,

"It's nice of you to finally show up here."

He takes another bite of chicken, achieving a level of modest retribution by forcing his guests to wait.

"The gunpowder is ready to load. The mayor assures me that you've brought the trade goods we agreed on. But, before we finish here, I have a proposition to make. You met the 'Hetman' of Tarnobrzeg, I hear? He is a madman and a threat to the people of this city- of this whole region. I want to hire your boat to take a heavy raiding force of my people back to the city and provide them with fire support. We will provide the ammunition for your mortar. If you agree, we'll add 10% to your commision. As I see it, it's an offer you can't refuse. Getting back past the town- against the current this time- will be damn near impossible unless his warband is dispersed. What say you?"

Actions?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 678 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 11:01
Re: At the Table
Cap'n Rae:
"It's nice of you to finally show up here."

He takes another bite of chicken, achieving a level of modest retribution by forcing his guests to wait.

"The gunpowder is ready to load. The mayor assures me that you've brought the trade goods we agreed on. But, before we finish here, I have a proposition to make. You met the 'Hetman' of Tarnobrzeg, I hear? He is a madman and a threat to the people of this city- of this whole region. I want to hire your boat to take a heavy raiding force of my people back to the city and provide them with fire support. We will provide the ammunition for your mortar. If you agree, we'll add 10% to your commision. As I see it, it's an offer you can't refuse. Getting back past the town- against the current this time- will be damn near impossible unless his warband is dispersed. What say you?"


Wearing his red-and-white armband and green beret, Dawid cut as impressive figure as he could under the circumstances.  As there was time to shine his boots, wash up and shave, he did so. The rest was in the hands of the Allmightly.

"Yes, comrade Mayor."

"This man is a grave threat to the region. His men may be disciplined, but he is still a tyrant at heart and thus to be even more feared."

"To be clear, I cannot speak for my comrades, as they are either foreigners, or serve foreigners, or serve Old Adam."

"I am an expert artillerist, and in the name of God, and for the freedom of the Polish people, though it may cost my life, I will fight!"

This message was last edited by the player at 11:02, Tue 22 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 150 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 11:30
Re: At the Table
Way to blow everybody's cover, Dawid, Griet thought, thinking quickly. The guy thinks we're representatives of the Krakow ORMO and now has been told that we're a bunch of feckless freebooters. She stepped forward and said, "I know that the Free Government doesn't recognise the Free City of Krakow as a sovereign state, I still represent them, no matter who Dawid chooses to recognise." she paused for a moment hoping that it got through. Without the protection of the Krakow seal, the boat and crew were fair game for anyone. "I have to admit that your idea has merit. I will obviously need to discuss with you some unsheduled changes that have been made to Krakow's plans, but your suggestion for an attack on the Hetman does not run counter to these plans, as they involve keeping the river open for trade. We have several things to discuss and I'm sure that the trade expedition's tactical commanders will alos have comments to make. As for Old Adam," she injected as much cold disdain into her voice as she could, "he is a pawn in the game of politics, he will do what we decide or he will be removed."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 680 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 12:36
Re: At the Table
Griet Niewiadomska:
Way to blow everybody's cover, Dawid, Griet thought, thinking quickly. The guy thinks we're representatives of the Krakow ORMO and now has been told that we're a bunch of feckless freebooters. She stepped forward and said, "I know that the Free Government doesn't recognise the Free City of Krakow as a sovereign state, I still represent them, no matter who Dawid chooses to recognise."


Dawid nodded in affirmation; she was only speaking the truth.

"Of course. I speak for no one but myself. My apologies if this was taken any other way."

He smiled in his charming way, chuckling a little in amusement. "I did not "choose" to serve God and the Polish people, I was called to do so. You make it sound like this is up for debate, yes?"

"I apologise for the interruption, my friend, please continue."


This was a rhetorical question, and he let Griet continue.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:09, Tue 22 Apr 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 592 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 13:08
Re: At the Table
"Speaking on behalf of the security element... and omitting any political considerations, I have some issues with this." Bayer says when it is his turn. "The requirements of munitions for further "regular" travel has put us in the position where would very much like to make an minor arms trade. Namely assault rifles for a small amount of various ammunitions. Now thats for "regular" travel mind you. A deliberate attack on a well dug in force is going to require us to replenish more than just mortar ammo and what I was originally hoping to trade for."

He continues, "On a military standpoint, it will be necessary for the following; A donation of said 82mm mortar ammunition... the trade of what I have listed here... and an additional small provision of various ammunitions for the tug's defense during the raid. Think of it as an expense cost, or rather an insurance cost to keep our boat afloat."

He then passes the man the list of his trade...
82mm HE (4 x case of 5 rounds, 20 rounds) - 300 X 4 = 1,200$
82mm WP (2 x case of 3 rounds, 6 rounds) - 300 X 2 = 600$
30mm HE (2 x drums of 29 rounds, 58 rounds) - 75 X 2 = 150$
40mm HE (1 x case of 72 rounds for M203) = 200$
40mm HEDP (1 x case of 72 rounds for Mk19) = 250$
Domestic Food (3 days for 17 people - 102kg) - 4 X 102 = 410$
Field Phones (2 x sets, price based off small hand radios) - 250 X 2 = 500$
RPG-18 HEAT (1 x case of 3 rounds) = 50$
Armour plating/scrap metal plating = Unknown cost

Total worth - 3,360 (+plus armour plating costs)

Trading With...
ZU-23-2 Damaged - reg/15,000 - hoping for around 10% value for damage = 1,500$
AKM Rifles (x5) - 300 X 5 = 1,500$
AK-74 Rifles (x6) - 300 x 6 = 1,800$
Bayonets (x9) - 20 x 9 = 200$

Total worth - 5,000$

OOC - This does not include what Bayer would like to have donated as an expense cost for the raid.
Minh Quyen
 player, 194 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 13:50
Re: At the Table
Quyen watches the small negotiating team depart for the meeting. She would have liked to have gone just for interest sake - to see the boss and his home, a tour of the town in a motor vehicle, and to watch the negotiations pan out. But ultimately decided she'd be better off providing security and helping out with any work.

The meeting with Adam had interrupted her earlier attempt to get some hands on development for the tug. Finding Snowy, she brings up the offer again, "Yeah. As I was saying before Adam's brief... I can handle the tools on board and got a bit of know how for what you are doing. If you want some help, just give me a task."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 172 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 15:05
Re: Funeral
His words to Adam lost to the sudden arrival of the mayors vehicle, Jason returns to the burial of the dead.  Climbing into the raft, he sits silently as they make their way across the shore to bury the fallen.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 364 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 15:09
Re: Adam Speaks...
Tucker lights up one of his cigars and sits and listens to what Adam has to say and his jaw drops when he hears that Griet is his daughter and what their true intention of the trip to Warsaw is for.

"Well, this is certainly different then what I was expecting.  Ain't this a sunuvabitch!  Well, I signed on in Krakow to go to Warsaw with you Adam and I at least plan to go with you that far.  Whatever your cause is, that's all fine and dandy to me!  I'n still in," Tucker says as he takes another pull off of his cigar.

Tucker
Colt Python in shoulder rig
On deck listening to Adam's speach
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 154 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 16:15
Re: Adam Speaks...
"Now that Kaptain Bayer has agreed in principal to a joint venture," Griet began, "I am able to reveal the change in plans that the Krakow ORMO would like me to negotiate. They have been surprised by the amount of banditry rife along the river and realise that if it remains, all trade will be choked. They are particularlly concerned about the Hetman. The Council informed me that the nature of our mission was to change. Instead of returning with the gunpowder, they would like us to explore more of the river and establish trading centres. They also want us to destroy as many bandit elements as we can."

Griet waited for this to sink in and continued, "To this point, the ORMO have authorised me to negotiate a change in our agreement. Instead of the gunpowder, thye would like us to trade for more arms, munitions and the wherewithal to help us fight our way down river if necessary. We will of course be willing to help you destroy the nest at Tarnobrezeg, but we will need you to help us by being ammeanable to the switch in trades. We are aware that some of our requests will be difficult to meet but I am sure we can come to some sort of arrangement. Kaptain Bayer's list and his offer to trade small arms for them should be seen as a minimum starting place for our negotiations as we will need much more if we are to continue our mission. If possible, we need to trade for as much of the munitions in the calibres that Kaptain Bayer has mentioned as we can, we will also need to trade for more food and goods that we can trade down river to help us in our mission. A mission, may I add that benefits you as well, if we can open up the river as a trade route you will feel the value too. Now, if we can come to some sort of arrangement as to the trade changes, I am sure we can begin planning the raid."
Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 305 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 21:09
Re: At the Table
Minh Quyen:
The meeting with Adam had interrupted her earlier attempt to get some hands on development for the tug. Finding Snowy, she brings up the offer again, "Yeah. As I was saying before Adam's brief... I can handle the tools on board and got a bit of know how for what you are doing. If you want some help, just give me a task."


Snowy raises his the protective goggles from his eyes and smiles. "I can always use a hand Minh, how about you grab a grinder from below and we'll cut these plates. I reckon that we should get as much raw materials first as I've found I can upgrade the tug as we go along." He looks across the tug and mentally tallies the ongoing work. "I reckon we should do the gun tubs first. I'd also like to find someone  to install the comms as well, we can make up phone boxes as required. It's going to be a twenty four hour effort for the next few days I guess."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 678 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 23:40
Re: At the Table

"What am I to do with all of this gunpowder, then?"

The commandant's brow wrinkles as he considers the unexpected alteration of the trade agreement. His adjundant takes Griet's carefully forged Krakow documentation and hands it over to the commandant, who gives it a cursory glance. Slapping it down on the table, he takes another bite of chicken and chews it angrily, finally washing it down the mouthful with a long draught from a tall, ornate beer stein.

"Never mind. If I am able, I will comply with Krakow's request. Give my adjundant your list and he will see to availability and such. Now to the matter of Tarnobrzeg. You will provide fire support for the main attacking element, advancing alongside them as they make their approach overland along the east bank. Your mortar will bombard the town in preparation for the final assault. Now, you must tell me everything that you know about the Hetman's defenses- numbers, heavy weapons, armored vehicles, strong-points... everything. None of my scouting parties have returned."

OOC: The commandant will agree to trade the following for the damaged ZU-23-2 and the small arms offered by Konrad. He will provide additional ammo for the attack on T-breg.

82mm HE (1 x case of 5 rounds) = $300
82mm Illum (1 x case of 3 rounds) = $150
82mm WP (1 x case of 3 rounds) = $300
30mm HE (1 x drums of 29 rounds) = $75
40mm HE (1 x case of 72 rounds for BG-15) = $200
Dynamite sticks (1 x case of 100 sticks) = $750
Domestic Food (3 days for 17 people - 102kg) - 4 X 102 = $410
Field Phones (2 x sets, price based off small hand radios) - 250 X 2 = $500
Armour plating/scrap metal plating (all you can salvage)= Free

Total value of trade goods offered = $2685

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:58, Tue 22 Apr 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 61 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 23 Apr 2008
at 02:19
On the boat.
After Jason and Dave bury the bodies on the other side of the river, Dave spends his "off" time cleaning his weapons, including the Makarov pistol he recovered from Viktor's body. He also arrainges the medical bag he got from Hicks to his personall idiosyncrosies, putting this here, and that there. After his chores are done, he strips down to his shorts and lays out on the aft deck, enjoying the sun.
Minh Quyen
 player, 195 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 23 Apr 2008
at 10:01
Re: At the Table
Trevor 'Snowy' White:
Snowy raises his the protective goggles from his eyes and smiles. "I can always use a hand Minh, how about you grab a grinder from below and we'll cut these plates. I reckon that we should get as much raw materials first as I've found I can upgrade the tug as we go along." He looks across the tug and mentally tallies the ongoing work. "I reckon we should do the gun tubs first. I'd also like to find someone  to install the comms as well, we can make up phone boxes as required. It's going to be a twenty four hour effort for the next few days I guess."


Quyen smiles, pleased her help has been accepted. "This one?" she points at the grinder. Picking it up she nods, "Yeah ok. Mark the size you want and I'll get cutting." After being shown the details of her job, Minh puts on a set of goggles and begins cutting. After the first plate is cut she offhandedly says to Snowy, "Hauptmann said he is going to try to get some salvage metal as part of his arms trade. This beast is going to be like a battleship when were done." She then continues cutting.

OOC - Rae, do I need machinist or metallurgy for this action. If so I will spend skill points.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 594 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 23 Apr 2008
at 10:25
Re: At the Table
Bayer skims over the list of trade the local authority was willing to deal. He hides his disappointment. He knew this was a small town, but had hoped for a little more. Further, the amount was worth much less than he was putting up. He was not much of a negotiator and much less a merchant. Looking at Griet, Bayer makes a face saying "work on this".

"May we have a list of munitions to be provided for the attack?" Bayer asks the adjutant.

"I can provide a proper intelligence report on the IPAT in about an hour." He says to the commandant. Already prepared for such, he places his field book on the table and selects a pencil. I hope we get something similar on the downriver area he thinks as he begins to write. He will continue to write as Griet negotiates. If the meeting finishes before he's done, Bayer will return to the tug to complete the report.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 157 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 23 Apr 2008
at 10:28
Re: At the Table
Griet began to brief the ORMO on what she had seen inside the town and the vehicles they'd seen outside, she sketched out the dispositions and asked Bayer to correct anything based on his greater experience.

As she did this, she broached the topic of the cargo, "I assume that you'd still like to trade for our cargo," she said, "We'll need to talk about what we need in return. I realise that you might not have everyting we want, but we can work that out as we go along."

She handed the boss her list:
30 sets of clean clothes
30 parkas or winter clothes
30 set sleeping gear
30 Personal Medical Kit
30 Months preserved rations
10 4 man tents
3 doctor's medical kits
10 sets of basic tools
10 sets of construction tools
10 sets of excavation tools
10 sets of agricultural tools
Seeds for planting

In addition, we would like any extra 82mm ammunition and 30mm grenades that youcan afford, otherwise, we propose setting aside 25 bicycles to try to trade further down the river.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:35, Wed 23 Apr 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 204 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 24 Apr 2008
at 06:40
On the boat
As the others on the baot went about domestic or repair duties, Mariusz stayed on guard, keeping a close eye on the sentries on the dockside.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 174 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 24 Apr 2008
at 07:01
Re: On the boat
After the burial, Jason returns to the ship. Seeing Maruisz, he walks over and pats the boy on the shoulder. "Hello, young soldier. Where have you been?"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 206 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 24 Apr 2008
at 07:04
Re: On the boat
"Not far, "Lawn Dart"," Mariusz replied, "the negotiations party is ashore and everyone else is doing something on the boat. I thought I'd keep an eye on these guys. You never know what'll happen next. Did the funeral go well?"
Jason Kasparov
 player, 175 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 24 Apr 2008
at 07:17
Re: On the boat
"Lawn dart?" Jason replied. "Thats a new one. Can't say I get the reference, but oh well. The funeral was simple and solemn. I thought Dawid would have attended. I wonder how Stanislaw is doing."

Jason looks out across the river. "I traded for some English languge books, if your interested?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 558 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 24 Apr 2008
at 10:03
Re: On the boat
Anneka nodded her agreement to the plan to take the fight to the warlord. If it gave them more supplies, and dealt a blow to tyranny, then she was all for it.
"I assume that the barge would be left here during the attack?" she asked rehtorically.
"As we've discovered previously, it's a bit of a lodestone when it comes to combat."

Her own list of goods and equipment mirrored what had been presented although she would have prefered a stronger emphasis on mortar ammunition, food and chemicals to create explosives. Although not something she was particularly comfortable with, she was also willing to create poisonous gases to tip the balance if it were deemed necessary.

"When is the attack proposed to take place? How many of your soldiers are to participate and how many are to be aboard the tug?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 159 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 24 Apr 2008
at 11:47
Re: On the boat
Griet sat with the Commandant's adjutant and explained the humanitarian item as trade goods for the trip down river, as this left a surplus in the trade, Griet quietly tried to persuade the adjutant to release more munitions to the unit. She particularlly stressed the need for more 82mm ammunition and she also enquired about the possibility of obtaining an auto-cannon and some ammunition. She worked him hard, hoping to gain an edge for the Krowola.

[Private to Cap'n Rae: Griet will have about $5,000 surplus to play with and would really like to try for some more HE and WP for the mortar. She'd also like to find an auto-cannon if possible, it would be a really useful addition. As Anneka said, we could trade some 12.7mmB if we needed to. That might be more useful to the town than an autocannon with limited ammo. If we can't get anything else, she'll try for some gunpowder to trade downriver. Also, Griet's position is that once the battle is over, the Unit will be able to claim 1/3 rd of the loot and would have first choice of heavy weapons.]
Konrad Bayer
 player, 597 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 24 Apr 2008
at 12:11
Re: On the boat
Bayer looks up from his ongoing report. "RPG rounds." he says just barely loud enough for Griet to hear. He wasn't satisfied that any place in Poland couldn't put up spare RPG ammo. Looking back down he continues to write.

OOC - I'm not disagreeing with the GM here on RPG ammo availability. It's just Bayer's feeling.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 207 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 24 Apr 2008
at 18:17
Re: On the boat
"Back when there were some GIs tagging along with the partisans, they called the helicopters that resupplied us occasionaly, "Lawn Darts"," Mariusz explained, "when I asked them why they said it was because they always ended up nose first in the earth. I thought they were lying until I saw your chopper. You have something to read? Wonderful, may I borrow it after you've finished reading, please?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 160 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 24 Apr 2008
at 18:24
With the adjutant
As greit and the adjutant went through the final details, Griet pointed out, "At present, the armament we have means we won't be able to provide close fire support and standing off firing one mortar a few times before we run out of ammo isn't going to make us very effective. If you help us reconfigure, we can risk getting much closer. If we can do that, we can bring a larger amount of firepower to bear. If we had more rounds for our RPG, our AGS-17 and maybe, an autocannon, we could really get stuck in and help your people. It's the difference between being a glorified bus and really contributing to the battle. The troops of the IPAT have a good organisation and an excellent position. Having a heavy weapons platform like the Krowla could be a real asset, even if the autocannon was a temporary lone, we could make more of an impact."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 560 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 25 Apr 2008
at 02:54
Re: With the adjutant
Anneka nodded along in agreement to Griets arguement. More effective weapons would also help minimise the casualties she'd be forced to deal with by effectively supressing enemy fire. If however adequate weapons weren't available, hell, even if they were, she'd be pressing for assistance in armouring the tug and it's barge.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 365 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 25 Apr 2008
at 18:28
Re: With the adjutant
Robert goes up to Snowy and Bayer, "I'm not much use when it comes to specific building tasks but, let me know what you need to do guys."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 680 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 25 Apr 2008
at 22:55
Making Arrangements
Griet Niewiadomska:
As greit and the adjutant went through the final details, Griet pointed out, "At present, the armament we have means we won't be able to provide close fire support and standing off firing one mortar a few times before we run out of ammo isn't going to make us very effective. If you help us reconfigure, we can risk getting much closer. If we can do that, we can bring a larger amount of firepower to bear. If we had more rounds for our RPG, our AGS-17 and maybe, an autocannon, we could really get stuck in and help your people. It's the difference between being a glorified bus and really contributing to the battle. The troops of the IPAT have a good organisation and an excellent position. Having a heavy weapons platform like the Krowla could be a real asset, even if the autocannon was a temporary lone, we could make more of an impact."


The commandant looks a little bit irritated as Griet pleads her case.

"I'm aware of all of this. The ammunition I mentioned earlier is for your own private use. The militia will provide the mortar and grenade launcher rounds for the attack. You must realize that our resources here are finite. We may be able to dig up the sulfur and manufacture explosives, propellants, and such but turning it into mortar bombs, rocket propelled grenades, and cannon rounds is beyond us at the moment. What I've offered to trade is what we can afford to spare. In fact, that was something I wanted to talk to you about- to arrange for the next trade mission to Krakow. But, that can wait. How long do you need to make preparations for the attack? It looks like the weather's about to turn so we need to move quickly before the river rises and the roads turn to shit. I will send over a liason team before the end of the day. They will help coordinate your actions with the ground assault. Please give them your full cooperation. If that is all..."

After Griet gives her answer as to the Krolowa's readiness timetable, the commandant dismisses the party. They wind their way back through the maze of fortress passageways to the courty and reboard the two-vehicle convoy. Along the way back to the docks, they pass a two-wagon convoy moving slowly through the rain in the opposite direction. The first wagon is more of a cart really, drawn by an old nag and occupied by two armed men. The second is much larger, crewed by another armed pair, and drawn by four large horses. The back of this wagon can best be described as a low cage, about four feet from floor to barred ceiling. About a dozen people, all clad in soaking civilian attire, are held inside. It's one of the more dejected and downtrodden groups the party has encountered since arriving in Krakow, weeks or months earlier. In a few seconds, the curious caravan is left behind and the Vistula is once more the dominant feature in view.

The party is deposited at the docks, in the pouring rain. Everyone is quite tired. Working on tug/barge fortification is not going to be easy under these conditions, but the large covered boat repair sheds offer a good-sized, covered workspace.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:18, Fri 25 Apr 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 178 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 00:59
Re: On the boat
Mariusz Tokarski:
"Back when there were some GIs tagging along with the partisans, they called the helicopters that resupplied us occasionaly, "Lawn Darts"," Mariusz explained, "when I asked them why they said it was because they always ended up nose first in the earth. I thought they were lying until I saw your chopper. You have something to read? Wonderful, may I borrow it after you've finished reading, please?"


Jason smiles slightly. "Thank goodness Bear was there to haul my sorry ass of that downed bird."  He thinks back to the flight, his last flight and considers how useless he has become.

He pulls the Agatha Christie novel out and tosses it Mariusz. "Tell me how it turns out. I'll trade you for the Sci Fi stories when I finish it."

Taking his book, Jason heads for the aft Dushka, curls up on the deck beneath it and tries to get some sleep.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 605 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 10:43
Re: On the boat
Bayer approaches Snowy, working with Quyen. "We are back." he says. "The commandant here wants us to participate in supporting an attack sometime within 48 hours... maybe much earlier. We have permission to salvage scrap metal. Commandant's adjutant said... free all you can salvage. I'd like you to take command of the party. Organize work shifts, and assign tasks. Whatever you think you can get accomplished prior to the attack."

He finishes, "Ok with this Mr. White?"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:44, Sat 26 Apr 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 199 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 11:43
Re: On the boat
Quyen stops the grinder and lowers it so Konrad can speak easily with Snowy. Taking the opportunity, she digs out her pack of smokes she won in town. Sliding the protective goggles up over her forehead, she lights the smoke as Bayer appoints Snowy in command of the prep.

After they are done she gives an upwards nod to Snowy, as if to say... you already got me busy.

Quyen
Grinding metal scrap/on break
Grinder/Smokes (11/12)
Tug

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 63 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 12:47
Re: On the boat
When the sky begins to cloud up, Dave gets up from his resting on the rear deck. He wanders over to where Snowy and Konrad are and listens to thier conversation.

I've got more experience at blowing things up than constructing them, but I'm willing to help, he tells them.
Minh Quyen
 player, 200 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 12:51
Re: On the boat
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
I've got more experience at blowing things up than constructing them, but I'm willing to help, he tells them.


Smoke dangling from her mouth, Quyen says, "Not up to me. But just getting materials here is going to need regular manpower... the shit is heavy."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 163 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 12:57
Re: On the boat
Griet returned to the boat and made sure that everybody knew not to unload the tow's cargo until the Council had decided what they would offer in trade for it. She walked over to the engineering party and offered her services to anyone who needed them.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 213 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 13:00
Re: On the boat
Mariusz noticed the planning going on around the engineering party and walked over to them, "Is there anything I can do to help?"
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 65 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 13:01
Re: On the boat
Minh Quyen:
Smoke dangling from her mouth, Quyen says, "Not up to me. But just getting materials here is going to need regular manpower... the shit is heavy."


Dave smiles and strikes a weightlifter pose All muscles, no brain, that's me. He looks at the ciggarette with distaste and tells her As your health care provider, I fell I must tell you smoking is hazardous to your helth. He winks at her and adds But so is traipsing around three hundred klicks behind enemy lines, so enjoy yourself.
Minh Quyen
 player, 202 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 13:13
Re: On the boat
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Dave smiles and strikes a weightlifter pose All muscles, no brain, that's me. He looks at the ciggarette with distaste and tells her As your health care provider, I fell I must tell you smoking is hazardous to your helth. He winks at her and adds But so is traipsing around three hundred klicks behind enemy lines, so enjoy yourself.


Quyen laughs and rolls her eyes in a friendly way. "Well you are perfectly suited." she jokes.

Removing the smoke she holds it behind her out of sight, with a hint of guilt across her face. "I've but one vice I suppose. Just that one. And I keep fit to keep everything balanced. Thats how it works right?"

Taking the moment to socialize until Snowy gears everyone up, she continues, "On the topic of health... I did alot of Judo and Jujutsu for a while. I even did rock climbing sometimes too, when I wasn't running. So yeah, I smoke, but keep active at the least." Pointing her smoke free hand at Stoner she adds, "You. You I see you like a surfer or something. A lifeguard, maybe. Or standing shirtless on a beach, spinning a volley ball on your finger - Top Gun style."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:14, Sat 26 Apr 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 66 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 17:20
Re: On the boat
Minh Quyen:
"On the topic of health... I did alot of Judo and Jujutsu for a while. I even did rock climbing sometimes too, when I wasn't running. So yeah, I smoke, but keep active at the least." Pointing her smoke free hand at Stoner she adds, "You. You I see you like a surfer or something. A lifeguard, maybe. Or standing shirtless on a beach, spinning a volley ball on your finger - Top Gun style."


Daves laughs out loud Geeze, you've got me pegged. I'm the original surf bum thrill seeker. I grew up in San Diego, life guard, kayaking, scuba and snorkeling. Plus running and distance swimming. No wonder I ended up in the Navy. My vice is drinking, when there's real booze available. Drinking moonshine can make you go blind, if you get the wrong stuff. I'm not an alchy, but a couple ice cold brews go down real nice at the end of the day.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:21, Sat 26 Apr 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 688 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 17:58
Re: On the boat
Dawid appeared shocked.

"What, cigarettes are bad for you? That is foolish. Poland was Europe's top tobacco-grower before the war, better not let anyone hear such crazy-talk."

Clarence Milk
 NPC, 141 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 20:17
Under the Awning
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet returned to the boat and made sure that everybody knew not to unload the tow's cargo until the Council had decided what they would offer in trade for it. She walked over to the engineering party and offered her services to anyone who needed them.


Clarence paces the deck, AK slung over his right shoulder. He's wearing his body armor but has replaced his helmet with his well-worn bush hat. As the rain starts coming down harder, he retreats under the awning covering the quarterdeck. Jason dozes off nearby. The rain trickles through the torn section of the awning directly over the aft Dushka, where arial rocket fragments from the hit on the aft hatch sliced through it just a couple of days before.

When Griet approaches with instructions about unloading the cargo, Milk nods and asks,

"When are we planning on leaving, Chief?"

OOC: Milk doesn't yet know about the Krolowa's participation in the planned attack on T-breg.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 682 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 20:26
First Shipment (GM Supplemental)

Two large Ural trucks pull up to the dock. The tail gates slam down and men begin emerge into the rain. The first few are armed militiamen in rain ponchos. The rest of the group- the actual loading/unloading party- consists of civilians. They don't look terribly enthusiastic about the job and there is a hint of fear and resentment about them as well. The militiamen stand guard and bark orders as the civilians begin unloading the first truck, crates and bags piling up among the puddles growing on the rain-darkened concrete.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 164 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 20:40
Re: First Shipment (GM Supplemental)
Griet nodded at Milk and explained the situation to him, "It's not ideal I know but beggars can't be choosers and it does represent a chance to pick up some more heavy weapons and ammo before the trip down river. What the ORMO here has to spare and has traded with us is hardly work unloading the trade goods for."

She shrugged and caled a team together to load the goods, the Captain's cargo went into the tow and the ammo and ship cargo went onto the boat. griet saw Mariusz standing around and asked him to help.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 214 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 20:40
Re: First Shipment (GM Supplemental)
Mariusz smiled at Griet and started to lug supplies to the tow.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 142 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Sat 26 Apr 2008
at 20:51
Wherever
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet nodded at Milk and explained the situation to him, "It's not ideal I know but beggars can't be choosers and it does represent a chance to pick up some more heavy weapons and ammo before the trip down river. What the ORMO here has to spare and has traded with us is hardly work unloading the trade goods for."


Milk, normally cool as a cucumber, can barely contain his surprise and dismay,

"We're going back there? Shit, I know we could use some more firepower but we already lost one man there... Does the old man know about this?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 366 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 27 Apr 2008
at 02:02
Re: First Shipment (GM Supplemental)
Cap'n Rae:
Two large Ural trucks pull up to the dock. The tail gates slam down and men begin emerge into the rain. The first few are armed militiamen in rain ponchos. The rest of the group- the actual loading/unloading party- consists of civilians. They don't look terribly enthusiastic about the job and there is a hint of fear and resentment about them as well. The militiamen stand guard and bark orders as the civilians begin unloading the first truck, crates and bags piling up among the puddles growing on the rain-darkened concrete.
Robert will go and take off his kevlar vest and retirve his vinyl rain poncho from his rucksack and comes back on deck with his kevlar helmet and Colt Pythin in his shoulder rig.  He walks up to where the supplies are being stacked and looks around, "I guess we did good on trading huh?  Well, this shit ain't gunna move itself!"
Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 309 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Sun 27 Apr 2008
at 07:08
Re: On the boat
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer approaches Snowy, working with Quyen. "We are back." he says. "The commandant here wants us to participate in supporting an attack sometime within 48 hours... maybe much earlier. We have permission to salvage scrap metal. Commandant's adjutant said... free all you can salvage. I'd like you to take command of the party. Organize work shifts, and assign tasks. Whatever you think you can get accomplished prior to the attack."

He finishes, "Ok with this Mr. White?"


Snowy nods and puts down his grinder. He looks past Konrad out into the rain for a second and says "Sure thing boss." He pauses and says "I want to tell you though, I'm getting off here. You're a good commander and I've had no problems with your calls, but I gotta start moving back to my people and I'm going to see if I can get work here in the militia and the dockyard. Hopefully I'll be able to get a shallow draught vessel worked out and head back to Germany by the canals. Once there I'll try and get back to my own people. If it's okay with you I'll be taking the effects of Bluey and Fosters with me."
Minh Quyen
 player, 203 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 27 Apr 2008
at 08:51
Re: On the boat
Quyen's joking and friendly socializing disappears as she overhears Snowy. Jabbing the smoke back in her mouth she lowers the protective goggles back over her eyes. Walking back over to her unfinished cutting job, she picks up the grinder again. "You are making a mistake." is all she mutters to Snowy before turning on the machine and resuming the cutting.

[Private to Trevor 'Snowy' White: C'mon Snowy! Say this isn't true. Why?!?! I really hope you reconsider.]
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 563 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 27 Apr 2008
at 12:55
Re: On the boat
"Hauptman," Anneka speaks quietly as they make their way back to the tug.
"If I may suggest, you should inform everyone what we've agreed to, and let them know the reasons why."

As it stood, only those in the small group who'd been at the meeting knew anything at all - the rest would very quickly start to wonder and rumours would soon be running out of control.

"We should leave Griet to handle the cargo issues, you to work with the locals on the plan, and I'll organise the men to repair and fortify the boat." Her everpresent notepad appeared in her hand as the Wisla Krolowa came into view.

"Leaving out the two of you," she continued, refering to Konrad and Griet and after studying the notes for a moment, "and Adams crew, I would suggest we split into two teams. The first team will be responsible for scrounging materials and supplying extra labour when required. In this team would be Dawid, Stan, Mariusz, Stoner and myself."

"Snowy, Hicks, Jason, Minh, Tucker and Milk would remain aboard as the "Fabrication" team - it's their job to use their skills to turn scrap into whatever we need."


She had a feeling Tucker might disagree with her assessment of him as a skilled "tradesman", but as the only trained gunsmith they still had, it would be his job to strip down, check and maintain all their weapons. Field maintenance was all well and good, but as they were about to head into trouble, it was probably best for him to carry out the checks, especially since it had never been done on much of their equipment since it had come into their possession.

"You and Griet should probably chip in when your free, same with Adams crew but I think they'll be flat out with the engines and general maintenance for the next day or two."

It was amazing how much could get broken in just a few short days, but then they had been shot at a few times so damage was to be expected she supposed.

"I'd like to see if any of the locals can help out too, but not if they're going to be forced into it." The sight of the civilians caged on the back of the wagon was still very fresh in her mind. Although probably criminals of some sort, they could just as easily have been slaves with the way the world was now.

"Should probably also stick to working only in daylight, at least for the scroungers. I'd rather avoid any accidents in the dark if possible and make sure everyones well rested."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 609 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 28 Apr 2008
at 02:29
Re: On the boat
Bayer nods to Anneka on the return to the tug, "Ja, sounds good to me. I'll use this plan of organization from you."

Back aboard after speaking with Snowy, he expresses his regrets at seeing the Australian go. "If there was anyone who was of great value to this venture it was yourself. For your unfading cooperation and efforts, I must thank you. You are free to leave when you wish of course, and take the personal effects of your comrades."

He then musters the group to the main deck. "Team. Attention please. As part of our ongoing mission, we will be participating in a supporting role for an upcoming attack on Tarnobzreg. We must do this to fulfill our need to acquire a friendly base, and a place to trade for munitions and provisions."

Bayer, waves a hand towards Snowy, Griet, and Soleblume, then continues, "In preparation, we will need to issue groupings and tasks. I've asked Mr. Snow... who has expressed the need to discontinue his contract with us... to organize and plan improvements to the tug's protection before he leaves. Major Soleblume will coordinate with him and help supervise the team."

"Griet, as chief negotiator and liaison to the local authority as well as with Captain Rataj and his men. We need you to facilitate the transfer of cargo, and the munitions we are to expect. Due to your naval expertise you are free to provide advice to Mr. Snow and Major Soleblume as well. But in any case, we need someone to supervise the handling of cargo and trade goods with the locals here."

"For the rest of the team. Dawid, Mr. Switek, Mariusz, and Stoner... you can report to the doctor for materials acquisition duty. The rest of you, Hicks... er Chopper, Kasparov, Quyen, Tucker and Milk... you can report to Mr. Snow to work on improving the ship's defenses."

Getting back to the attack, Bayer adds, "The time of the attack is not confirmed. It is expected within a 36-48 hour timeframe. Until then, we must plan on making as much use of Sandomierz's assets here, and rest. Any questions or problems?"

[Private to Jason Kasparov: Jason, check PM please.]

This message was last edited by the player at 02:37, Mon 28 Apr 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 690 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 28 Apr 2008
at 05:07
Re: On the boat
"Snowy, it is a shame that you have decided to seek your fortune elsewhere, but I am glad that you have decided to help the Polish people here. We will need more like you to help recover what has been lost. Perhaps your mind will change about the chance of rebuilding our nation, perhaps you yourself will be the key person to do it!"

"Okay then, let us do what we can to improve our vessel."


He got ready to go with the rest of his assigned work team.


OOC correction:
my mistake, I guess Snowy did tell people after all.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:44, Mon 28 Apr 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 205 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 28 Apr 2008
at 08:51
Re: On the boat
Minh attends the team's meeting, and again shakes her head in disagreement when Bayer mentions Snowy's intentions. Gotta stick together, she thought. When her name is mentioned for the construction party she acknowledges with a raised hand.

The thought of returning to Tarzanburg, excited her. Their last battle with the IPAT seemed unresolved. It was too much of a draw, with no clear winner. The idea of the tug, the last thing they'd expect coming back, and wrecking shop with a lot more manpower, was a strong motivation to work on the Krolowa. Nodding silently in agreement to Dawid's comment, she waited until the group was dismissed before heading back to her workstation. There she will use the grinder or whatever else tasked to do.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:53, Mon 28 Apr 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 67 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 28 Apr 2008
at 21:39
Re: On the boat
You're taking off on your own, Snowy? Well, bro, best of luck to ya.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 686 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 28 Apr 2008
at 23:58
A-Team Montage

Despite the pouring rain, the team splits into two groups and begins work fortifying the tug and barge. Meanwhile, the locals continue the loading/unloading process, removing the Krakow-manufactured trade goods and replacing it with the humanitarian supplies requested by Griet. In addition to the food, clothing, and medical supplies, several ammo crates of 82mm mortar rounds and Soviet 40mm grenades are loaded aboard the tug. A few of the militiamen then oversee a civilian party in the removal of the damaged ZU-23-2 from the barge. When one of the civilians drops a corner of the AA gun on his foot, triggering an eruption of curses, one of the guards replies with a guffaw and a sarcastic shout,

"Would you rather be in the sulfur mines with your neighbors? The pits are probably starting to flood right about now." OOC: Anyone nearby with reasonable Polish language skill can hear this.

The scrounging and construction teams make good progress, despite the lousy weather and their own fatigue. By the end of the day, everyone is physically exhausted but much work has been done. Being in what is widely thought of as a safe port, the watch schedule is altered so that everyone can get an additional few hours of sleep during the night. Everyone seeks a warm, dry spot to bed down, makes him or herself as comfortable as possible, and attempts to get some sleep. The night is cold and dark, the moon and stars hidden by a wet blanket of clouds. Rain gives way to sleet. In the morning, ice has formed on and around the Krolowa. The overcast is still sitting threatingly overhead, but the rain and sleet have granted a respite.

Actions?

OOC: At least half of the planned wood, corrugated tin, and earth pillbox on the barge has been completed. It will be difficult to add much more protection for the port and starboard Dushkas given the narrow companionways where they are located. The best that can be done is adding corrugated metal sheets to the outside of the railings to supplement the sandbags already there. All three Dushkas already have steel gunshields capable of stopping (or at least slowing) small arms rounds. The aft Dushka can be further fortified given the additional space there. I'm still waiting for confirmation of where and how the AGS and MK-19 are to be emplaced. Given another day, all tasks (barge pillbox, gun tub for aft Dushka, supplemental armor for port and starboard HMGs and both AGL positions) can be completed, if everyone pitches in.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:06, Tue 29 Apr 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 368 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 00:20
Re: On the boat
Robert will approach Snowy and shake his hand and placing his other on his shoulder.  "Best of luck to ya Snowy!  It's been cool working with you, you'll be missed," Tucker says as he bids Snowy best wishes in his new port of call.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 369 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 00:41
Re: A-Team Montage
Cap'n Rae:
Despite the pouring rain, the team splits into two groups and begins work fortifying the tug and barge. Meanwhile, the locals continue the loading/unloading process, removing the Krakow-manufactured trade goods and replacing it with the humanitarian supplies requested by Griet. In addition to the food, clothing, and medical supplies, several ammo crates of 82mm mortar rounds and Soviet 40mm grenades are loaded aboard the tug. A few of the militiamen then oversee a civilian party in the removal of the damaged ZU-23-2 from the barge.
Tucker will go and start his work on servicing the tug's weapons after Konrad has put him in charge of them since he's the only certified gunsmith on board.  "I'll do what I can Konrad.  I should be OK once I get to know them a little better so just bear with me.  Anything more than basic cleaning and manitenance right now might be a little out of my league, especially without manuals.  I'll give it the old NATO try if need be however, no guarantees!"

Tucker will find a place to take it down after he's done for the day.  He'll look to take a shower or bath and change into another set of BDU's and get his other dirty one's cleaned.

Tucker
Colt Python in Shoulder Rig
Servicing Tug's weapons
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 568 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 02:33
Salvage and repair
Anneka toiled alongside everyone else, lending a hand wherever it was needed. Although they weren't allowed weapons ashore, Anneka was rarely unarmed. With a crowbar or a hammer, even a lump of twisted steel never far out of reach, anyone thinking to take advantage would have very quickly found themselves in a great deal of discomfort...

"I think the barge will be left here during the mission," she stated during the day to various people.
"Although we should certainly find materials for it, work should probably concentrate on the tug itself."

With the actual plan still not finalised, it was difficult to know exactly what role they would be playing, or how many of the local ORMO might be alongside them. Even though they were ostensibly allies, Anneka still had nagging doubts about their trustworthiness. Who was to say, especially in light of the AA incident, that once their "improvements" were complete and the battle fought, the ORMO aboard wouldn't simply turn their weapons upon them?

"Hauptman Bayer," she called, seeking to speak privately with Konrad during a brief rest.
"I'm concerned about what may happen after the battle. Would it be prudent do you think to limit the ORMO presence aboard the tug to just a handful. Say, a liason, radio operator, and a few soldiers to round out weapons crews?"
"Perhaps it would also be best if they were not allowed below decks without an escort too."

Having some stationed in the engineroom for example could prove their undoing if betrayal was planned. Best to keep the unknown personell out of the critical areas, at least until their intentions were clear.

"Griet, have you had any luck getting more ammo for the MG-3 and M240? Tripods would be nice too if there are any about." Tripods for all their medium machineguns would be nice actually, something which given time she was sure Hicks and Snowy could fabricate, but time was something they were just a little short on....
"If you're having any difficulty with prices, ask Stan to assist. I'm sure as a priest he knows a thing or two about persuasion." And if it really came down to the wire, he could pull out the religion card against the predominately Catholic people. Underhanded perhaps, but with the world in the shape it was in, every little advantage had to be taken if rebuilding civilisation was to be sucessful.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:26, Wed 30 Apr 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 612 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 03:37
Re: A-Team Montage
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"I'll do what I can Konrad.  I should be OK once I get to know them a little better so just bear with me.  Anything more than basic cleaning and maintenance right now might be a little out of my league, especially without manuals.  I'll give it the old NATO try if need be however, no guarantees!"


"That is good Tuck. Basic cleaning and maintenance is sufficient. I appreciate any checks and routine work you can provide." Bayer responds.

He spends most of his time finishing off the intelligence report concerning Tarnobzreg. He look it over... He was quite pleased with his work. Not his best report, but still he was rather happy he'd been able to actually write one, the last being such a long time time ago it seemed. It reminded him of being a professional soldier again, a active member of the Bundeswehr.

Satisfied, he approaches Griet. "I need you to speak to the dock security detail for me. I have the intelligence report the local authority had asked for. It needs to be delivered. In addition, we need to inform them that we cannot fully prepare for combat without knowing how they intend on attacking. That adjutant should be here as a direct liaison."

Watching the work detail, but staying out of the way he nods to Soleblume's approach. "Hmmm. Ja. We shouldn't let ourselves get carried away with how much trust we give these people. Until I get an idea of how they plan on attacking though, I am in the dark. What I would like to know is, are we required to provide a ferry capacity for their force. And if so, how many? If it is a lot... then as you say it is a risk. However, they may have a small barge here. One we could cut lose for maneuverability once they've dismounted from it. But once, again... thats just guessing their intentions. I have an idea of how I would like the team to operate, but I won't issue anything until the answers I need are given."

Remembering what else she said, he adds, "And below decks, yes. That must be a given for all situations. The main reason to possibly use one of their barges."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 165 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 09:24
Re: A-Team Montage
Griet repiled to Anneka's observations, "No , there is no more ammunition forth coming than the stuff that's been already traded for. As for getting more, we're fresh out of stuff to trade and the locals are unco-operative. We've been stiffed in every trade we've made and if we do much more, we'll probably end up owing them."

She nodded to Bayer and walked over to the dock patrol, she hanede him the intelligence report, "This needs to get to the commandant, he wants it immediately, also, we need to know more about the plan of attack if we are to support it effectively. Ask the Commandant's Adjutant if he would be so kind as to come down to liaise with us."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 215 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 09:25
Re: A-Team Montage
Mariusz worked hard all day in the soaking rain. He humped supplies and then earth, wood and iron. Eventually, he colapsed in a heap, a sodden, exhausted wreck.
Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 313 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 11:37
Re: On the boat
Minh Quyen:
Quyen's joking and friendly socializing disappears as she overhears Snowy. Jabbing the smoke back in her mouth she lowers the protective goggles back over her eyes. Walking back over to her unfinished cutting job, she picks up the grinder again. "You are making a mistake." is all she mutters to Snowy before turning on the machine and resuming the cutting.


Snowy looks up at Minh and answers "I've gotta get going Minh, I'm not cut out to be a merc. Take care and keep your head down."

Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
"You're taking off on your own, Snowy? Well, bro, best of luck to ya."


Snowy nods sombrely and says "You too Bones, perhaps we'll meet up again in Germany."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Snowy, it is a shame that you have decided to seek your fortune elsewhere, but I am glad that you have decided to help the Polish people here. We will need more like you to help recover what has been lost. Perhaps your mind will change about the chance of rebuilding our nation, perhaps you yourself will be the key person to do it!"

"Okay then, let us do what we can to improve our vessel."


He got ready to go with the rest of his assigned work team.<b>

Snowy held out his hand to Dawid and said "We'll Dawid, I guess we both learnt something on this trip. Take care and keep up the good fight. I've got to get home and start rebuilding too."

<quote Robert 'Tuck' Tucker>
Robert will approach Snowy and shake his hand and placing his other on his shoulder.  "Best of luck to ya Snowy!  It's been cool working with you, you'll be missed," Tucker says as he bids Snowy best wishes in his new port of call.


Snowy shakes Tuck's hand ruefully. "I feel like I'm letting you down Tuck. Please watch out for yerself, there's no need to go and get killed now. If I get back to Germany I'll let the people there know you're not KIA and maybe let anyone back home rest a little easier. Make sure you're not left high and dry at the end of this; they owe you a ticket home if they can." Snowy looks sad "I gotta let the people at home know that Bluey is gone, and I have to find out if his wife is still alive and still with the 8th US Marines so she can hear it from someone who cares. Look after yourself mate."

Snowy says farewell to everyone else, and pops up to see Adam in the wheelhouse. He salutes him and says "So long captain, I'm proud to have helped you get this far. I think you're doing the right thing, which to me is more important than doing the easy or safe thing. I hope your luck holds out, you serve that much." He leaves and goes back to the main deck. Carefully he takes his kit and counts out the ammo so he leaves with what he came with. He packs Bluey's and Foster's things into their drag-bags and hoists them onto his shoulder. He looks over the grim little vessel and his eyes unfocus, he can almost hear his mates talking to each other up on the bridge wing, chatting about nothing and gently insulting each other. He shakes his head and goes to find Konrad. Nodding to him, because he can't salute him outside, he says "Permission to go ashore sir?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 613 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 12:00
Re: On the boat
"You've more than earned it Snowy, and you are of course a free man. Thank you again and best of luck." Bayer says quietly. He then shakes the man's hand and watches him go. "Be careful." he calls after him.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 371 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 12:05
Re: A-Team Montage
Konrad Bayer:
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"I'll do what I can Konrad.  I should be OK once I get to know them a little better so just bear with me.  Anything more than basic cleaning and maintenance right now might be a little out of my league, especially without manuals.  I'll give it the old NATO try if need be however, no guarantees!"


"That is good Tuck. Basic cleaning and maintenance is sufficient. I appreciate any checks and routine work you can provide." Bayer responds.
"OK, then.  Like I said, if we could get some manuals somewhere along the line that would be good, more so for the PACT stuff we got."


Trevor 'Snowy' White:
Snowy shakes Tuck's hand ruefully. "I feel like I'm letting you down Tuck. Please watch out for yerself, there's no need to go and get killed now. If I get back to Germany I'll let the people there know you're not KIA and maybe let anyone back home rest a little easier. Make sure you're not left high and dry at the end of this; they owe you a ticket home if they can." Snowy looks sad "I gotta let the people at home know that Bluey is gone, and I have to find out if his wife is still alive and still with the 8th US Marines so she can hear it from someone who cares. Look after yourself mate."
Tucker smiles at Snowy, "You're not letting anyone down Snowy.  You got to do what you think is right and if getting off here is that thing, than you got to follow your gut feeling.  I'll watch my six, you just make sure that you watch yours extra good, you hear?

Don't know if anyone's left alive that may give a shit that I am alive but, I appreciate it bro.  You're a good trooper Snow, behave yourself now,"
and bids the Australian farewell as he exits the tug for the shore.  Tucker watches Snowy make his last farwells and then gets back to work on servicing the machine-guns and other weapons.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 693 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 13:42
Re: A-Team Montage
Dawid reminds all the foreigners that perhaps giving Snowy a personal letter to mail home or at least carry to what passed for the NATO command might be a good idea.

"Mister Snowy, I am not sure that you will arrive before anyone else, although who knows? Also, any letters may contain personal information people may not want to get into the hands of some unknown enemy, although it is uncertain if anyone could make use of such information if they did find it. Or that the destinations that they are intended for still exist. And so on."

"Yet, it would be a useful signal, a declaration of sorts that these brave people were here, and that they existed."

"As I have mentioned to young Mariusz, we must act, even believe on faith alone that things will get better, that one day there will be something as unlikely and "civiliased" as mail service one day."

"For if we do not believe, we are all lost."

Minh Quyen
 player, 206 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 29 Apr 2008
at 14:05
Re: A-Team Montage
Quyen spends all of her time devoted to cutting the metal. Following the final instructions from Snowy she's fairly confident of her task. Ignoring the rain, she labours on, cutting with the grinder. Soaked, she looks up and stops cutting when Snowy is about to leave the Krolowa.

Remembering what he said to her, she finally accepts the inevitable. Pulling off the goggles she places the grinder on the deck and approaches. "I still think you should stay on. But... you know whats best I guess. Take care of yourself as well."

Returning to her workstation she leans back against the railing. Digging out her smokes, protected from getting spoiled from the rain by a old plastic wrapping, she carefully digs one out. A cloud of blue, smoky haze soon floats overhead.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 182 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 30 Apr 2008
at 04:22
Re: A-Team Montage
Somewhere between the rain and the grinding, Jason finally realizes that sleep on the cold hard deck only lasts for a few hours. Walking back to the ship, he sees the group huddled around Snow, and cutting up parts of the wrecks.

Spotting Minh, he walks over and sits beside her. "Whats the good word? Need any help here?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 208 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 30 Apr 2008
at 14:40
Smokin & Cuttin
Jason Kasparov:
"Whats the good word? Need any help here?"


Standing against the railing, Quyen smiles and shakes her head. "Cuttin." she says casually. Looking at her broken watch she tries to figure out how long she's been working. She'd had lost track of time between concentrating on the task, thinking about the upcoming battle, and wondering about Snowy.

Flicking the smoke overboard it arcs through the air until dropping into the slow moving Vistula. "I'm pretty good here... with the cutting. I guess you could start to move the sheets I'm done with to where they are going to be put in place. Its not my show though... I'm just a cutter."

Wiping some of the rain off her face, she adds, "When we went to that merchant, I got a pack of playing cards. After sundown when works done for the day, we should get the guys together and have a couple games in the galley."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:41, Wed 30 Apr 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 687 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 1 May 2008
at 00:37
One Week


Sunday, October 8th, 2000
0700 hrs.
Sandomierz, Poland
40 F
Heavy Clouds; 75% chance of rain


Exactly one week has passed since the Krolowa and its original complement departed from Nowy Huta. Everyone marks this anniversary in his/her own way.

A church bell- a clarion of at least superficial normalcy- signals the call to morning mass.

The barge is loaded with its consignment of humanitarian supplies, the closely supervised and likely unwilling civilian laborers have been loaded on to their trucks and hauled away to God knows where. The Krolowa has received its modest proprietary allocation of 82mm mortar and grenade launcher ammunition and, in exchange, has been relieved of its damaged Soviet twin 23mm AA gun and most of its captured small arms.

Work continues apace on the barge's new fortified, earth, timber, and sheet-metal pillbox. Although crude and not at all attractive in a nautical sense, it promises comprehensive protection from small arms fire and suggests at least limited resistance to heavy machine gun fire, as well as all-around fields of fire for the defenders. Clarence completes an intercom system linking the tug's bridge to the barge, the Vasilek, and the aft Dushka position and begins shifting sandbags formerly located on the barge to the bridge roof for another pet project: a look-down, shoot-down AGL position with nearly 360 degree fields of fire.

As the various work parties continue to busy themselves creating an ad-hoc riverine dreadnought, the mayor's sedan and the escorting UAZ arrive at the dock. The commandant's second-in-command emerges from the car and and calls for the tug's command element.

When they arrive, he briefs them perfuctorily,

"We will attack this afternoon at approximately 1500 hrs. Four platoons with our BMPs and our BTR will attack along the main north-south road to Tarnobrzeg, supported by a fifth platoon with our new WOJO mortars. You will advance alongside us on the river. You will send a forward observer party along with our main attack force to direct your gunboat's fires. I will return with a more detailed plan in a few hours along with more ammunition for your mortar. If there's anything else you will be needing, you'd best let me know right now. Regardless, you must be ready to depart at 1400 hours. Is that clear?"

Actions?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 618 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 1 May 2008
at 03:19
Re: One Week
Bayer shakes his head in understanding as the man spoke. "Just to confirm, we are not required for troop transportation?" After the answer is given he nods, "Understood. We will be ready to depart at that time."

After the team had finished eating breakfast and sorting themselves out for the day's activities Bayer musters everyone on deck for a quick briefing.

"Attention, please. Warning Order. Sandomierz militia confirmed to intend to conduct a deliberate attack on Tarnobzreg. Tentative h-hour is at 1500 hours today.

Mission, to provide direct and indirect fire support to the assaulting ground forces. Again. Mission, to provide direct and indirect fire support to the assaulting ground forces.

Groupings and tasks, myself, Sergeant Tucker, and Mariusz will deploy as a forward observer team. We will provide close target acquisition and relay back via radio to the tug. Major Soleblume will command the full remainder onboard the Krolowa, which will be providing the fire support. Griet, be prepared to assume command if the Major is required for medical duties.

Administration, no move before 1400 hours. Senior NCOs supervise the following;

continuing defensive preparations,
receive and store additional ammunition,
relocate the AGS-17 to the rooftop perch,
detach the barge from the tug,
and routine battle procedure such as radio and weapons checks.

Final orders will be issued and confirmed at 1300 hours. Questions or addition tasks necessary you feel should be added."


OOC - I didn't assign specific tasks for the prep so you can RP what you'd like.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:22, Thu 01 May 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 574 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 1 May 2008
at 05:25
Re: One Week
Anneka was a little concerned at losing three of their people to shore duty. Although they had made great progress towards preparing the tug for battle, and they wouldn't be dragging the heavy barge with them, they were still short of crew for their heavy weapons.
"Do you know if we will be receiving any soldiers to round out weapon crews?" she asked, painfully aware that without extra bodies, their combat capability would be severely restricted.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 619 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 1 May 2008
at 05:46
Re: One Week
Anneka Soleblume:
"Do you know if we will be receiving any soldiers to round out weapon crews?"


Bayer shakes his head, "No. They basically just gave me a warning order with limited info... just what I passed on. I expect they will give a regular set of orders sometime around noon."

"I can request some if you think it would be best here. What, say around two maybe three?" he adds.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 183 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 1 May 2008
at 06:06
Re: One Week
Jason walks up to Konrad, and salutes the man. "Permission to speak freely sir?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 620 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 1 May 2008
at 06:09
Re: One Week
Jason Kasparov:
Jason walks up to Konrad, and salutes the man. "Permission to speak freely sir?"


"Err... ja. Of course." Bayer says a little defensively.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 575 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 1 May 2008
at 06:13
Re: One Week
Anneka thought for a moment.
"Let me check my notes before setting a number. It might end up being a few more than we think."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 184 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 1 May 2008
at 06:16
Re: One Week
"You don't think this is a trap? I mean, suppose they are setting us up, selling off the ship as a protection fee? I find it strange that all they really need from us is to supply long range support from a river. Do you get that impression?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 621 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 1 May 2008
at 06:27
Re: One Week
Jason Kasparov:
"You don't think this is a trap? I mean, suppose they are setting us up, selling off the ship as a protection fee? I find it strange that all they really need from us is to supply long range support from a river. Do you get that impression?"


"No... no, I don't." he says after thinking about it. "If they wanted the tug they could have taken it when half the team was ashore I think. We really haven't been too vigilante since our arrival. It be safer then acting with us all manning our weapons and ready for imminent combat ja?"

"I can understand the need too. IPAT forces are spread out quite a ways from T'berg. We learned that with the standoff you were in. They may not have the means or expertise to keep their mortar crews bounding quickly enough behind their offensive units (so they remain in range of the targets), and being able to setup and fire quickly enough. With a mobile mortar we don't have that drawback.

Their medium mortars are great and simple for defense, but to keep them participating in a battle with a fluid front line, or at least supporting mobile units which advance outside of their range, is something that requires skill and training."


"You have the right to be suspicious. And to raise those opinions. I believe we shouldn't be too trusting... however, I trust their intentions at the moment." he finishes.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 695 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 1 May 2008
at 12:55
Re: One Week
Of course, Dawid attended mass.

He pondering on what he'd seen and done, but took comfort in the ritual and connection to something higher. Who, if anyone, was better between here and Tarnobreg? For that matter, he recalled other conscript labour at Krakow, the robotniki labourers in the field, filthy and almost starving.

Under captialism, man oppressed his fellow man. Under communism, it was the other way around.

When confession came he made sure to truly repent for his sins. After it was over, he asked the priest for a special blessing for himself, the boat and her crew.

He also asked, "is there hope for the people here? Is the fight with Tarnobreg merely between 2 different tyrants? These foreigners, they are brave and I believe once they fought for good. Now, it is like they have given up... will we become this way as well?"
Jason Kasparov
 player, 185 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 1 May 2008
at 15:12
Re: One Week
Konrad Bayer:
"No... no, I don't." he says after thinking about it. "If they wanted the tug they could have taken it when half the team was ashore I think. We really haven't been too vigilante since our arrival. It be safer then acting with us all manning our weapons and ready for imminent combat ja?"

"I can understand the need too. IPAT forces are spread out quite a ways from T'berg. We learned that with the standoff you were in. They may not have the means or expertise to keep their mortar crews bounding quickly enough behind their offensive units (so they remain in range of the targets), and being able to setup and fire quickly enough. With a mobile mortar we don't have that drawback.

Their medium mortars are great and simple for defense, but to keep them participating in a battle with a fluid front line, or at least supporting mobile units which advance outside of their range, is something that requires skill and training."


"You have the right to be suspicious. And to raise those opinions. I believe we shouldn't be too trusting... however, I trust their intentions at the moment." he finishes.


"Excuse my concern sir, but sending back the tug, loaded with supplies and the men who killed their compatriots would be quite the offering to the warlord. They keep their noses clean, take our goods, hand them their castoffs, with the tug and its crimminal crew, and their men get pleasure of slaughtering us as revenge. If they have vehicles and mortar ammo, they have the capacity to perform what we are about to do. The simple reason they didn't take us out upon our arrival is  they wanted our goods, and we did just fight our way here. But perhaps I am being paranoid."

Konrad Bayer
 player, 622 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 1 May 2008
at 15:22
Re: One Week
Bayer runs his hand over his dark blonde hair, "Vell... I suppose you can say that about pretty much everyone in Poland. Who do you trust, and how do you know when not to? Looking at this place, I am not too sure who ist the lesser evil of the two... Tarnobzreg or Sandomierz. Maybe both are pretty much the same deep down.

"One thing though, is at least here we have been given free options. Options to trade, and the option to leave with our tug and processions on our own account. We never got that in T'berg, and we need someone to be on our side... even if just a little. I think this is the best we going to get, and we are going to have to take a chance."

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 690 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 1 May 2008
at 23:56
Absolution and Advice
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He also asked, "is there hope for the people here? Is the fight with Tarnobreg merely between 2 different tyrants? These foreigners, they are brave and I believe once they fought for good. Now, it is like they have given up... will we become this way as well?"


The old priest- a man in his early 70s, at least- takes Dawid's confession and, after prescribing a rather weighty number of Our Fathers and Hail Marys, performs a brief blessing, as requested.

He then responds to Dawid's question,

"All men are tyrants in their hearts. The Russian, he is no different. The people of this town are safe and they are grateful. They live in peace and relative prosperity because of the labor of others who are not so fortunate. Human bondage is a sinful practice, to be sure. But the commandant has assured those of us who have raised objections that the laborers are simply serving out a kind of indenture. They are fed, clothed, given shelter; a year of labor in the mines or the fields and they will be given citizenship. We shall see. I visit their camps and they are, on the whole, cared for... adequately. From what I have heard, Tarnobrzeg certainly has no claim to moral high ground. Yet I fear a contest between the two strongmen. This area has been quiet for many months  and more death benefits no one but Lucifer. Your group should leave here and be on their way before more blood is shed."

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:58, Thu 01 May 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 71 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 2 May 2008
at 02:10
At the briefing
After Konrad's warning order, Dave voices his own concerns. Captain, they want to start the attack in the middle of the afternoon? With three to four hours of daylight left? Wouldn't a dawn attack be more feasible? I know it's a cliche, but there's reasons for the whole "we attack at dawn" thing. Hit them early enough, and maybe they won't be up and about yet. Plus you have all day to do any mopping up. We could position our forces under the cover of darkness, possibly reducing the the chance they notice us, and lessening the time they have to react.

And from a personal standpoint, I'd like to be ashore when the attack happens. Those bastards confiscated every bit of gear I had left. I was left with the clothes on my back and my boots. I think they would have taken my boots too, but they don't have anybody who could fill them. I know my stuff is gone, but I would like to start building up a stake, in case we lose the boat, and for after this job is over.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 623 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 2 May 2008
at 03:24
Re: At the briefing
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
After Konrad's warning order, Dave voices his own concerns. Captain, they want to start the attack in the middle of the afternoon? With three to four hours of daylight left? Wouldn't a dawn attack be more feasible? I know it's a cliche, but there's reasons for the whole "we attack at dawn" thing. Hit them early enough, and maybe they won't be up and about yet. Plus you have all day to do any mopping up. We could position our forces under the cover of darkness, possibly reducing the the chance they notice us, and lessening the time they have to react.

And from a personal standpoint, I'd like to be ashore when the attack happens. Those bastards confiscated every bit of gear I had left. I was left with the clothes on my back and my boots. I think they would have taken my boots too, but they don't have anybody who could fill them. I know my stuff is gone, but I would like to start building up a stake, in case we lose the boat, and for after this job is over.


"I don't have any say in the timing of the attack. It's not our show ja?" he says. "But look. We are in a supporting role here... behind the action. Any thing bad happens, its likely we won't be taking it or at least surprised by it. Thats the only way I can say to look at it in a positive way... its weak I know, but we don't have much choice."

"As for joining to FOO party, well... The tug is going to need its weapons manned and its already shorthanded. But I understand. Tell you what... if we can get a few locals to assist aboard like we hoped, I won't have a problem with it. The major is going to be in command so I'll leave it up to her to decide if she can operate with the manpower she'll have. OK?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 577 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 2 May 2008
at 07:00
Re: At the briefing
Anneka sought out Konrad after she'd spend some time assessing their manpower needs for the coming battle.

"Although we can possibly make do with the few we have, I think we should ask for at least six of the ORMO."

"At least one for a DShK, one for a PKM, two more as assistant loaders for Dawid and Minh, and the remainder as number twos on the DShKs."

"I'm not yet sure who'll be assigned the AGS, but as we'll have both the mortar and Mk-19 operational, I'm not too sure it'll be necessary under normal conditions."


Normal conditions. Whatever that was! In Annekas mind it involved them staying out of the raging battle and supplying only supporting fire. In that event, it was quite possible to shuffle some of the machinegunners around to operate it.

"Even a couple of civilians might be of some use, to help with loading, damage control and operating the tug."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 217 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 2 May 2008
at 07:08
Re: At the briefing
After all the work had been done, Mariusz spent some time stripping and cleaning his weapons, checking his combat gear and then settled to cook a meal for the crew.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 166 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 2 May 2008
at 07:13
Re: At the briefing
Griet spent some time below checking that the black crew knew what was going on and that they were prepared for damage control if necessary. When she emerged back on deck, she heard the Major talking about bringing extra crew on board. She understood the need and said, "More crew is a good idea, but six would be the maximum we could handle in case of trechery. Instead of asking just for ORMO or civilians, maybe we could ask at the pubs for any mercs around, if merchants trade here, there might be a merc scene, we could look at short term contracts or at hiring on new blood, maybe?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 624 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 2 May 2008
at 07:32
Re: At the briefing
"I am not keen on hiring a third party. And I do remember you and Adam were shared the same feeling when Switek and Mariusz came aboard." Bayer says. Looking at both Soleblume and Griet he continues, "You will be in command of this element so you should decide yourself how you wish to employ anu addition manpower. If possible, replace Stoner so he may join the FOO party. Same goes for the AGS... decide on its use or not."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:32, Fri 02 May 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 209 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 2 May 2008
at 08:31
Re: At the briefing
After the meeting, Quyen approaches Tucker - "Hey sergeant. We gotta some stuff to do it seems. What do you want me to do? Keep working on the defenses, get on the radios, or something else?"

After getting instructions on how to help with the preparations, Quyen will look to the others and say in a joking manner - "Alright there all you lazybones, lets all get to work huh?" Things have been solemn on the tug with Snowy's departure and the tension of the upcoming battle. However, Quyen's spirits were high, motivated and excited.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 73 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 2 May 2008
at 11:05
Re: At the briefing
Konrad Bayer:
"As for joining to FOO party, well... The tug is going to need its weapons manned and its already shorthanded. But I understand. Tell you what... if we can get a few locals to assist aboard like we hoped, I won't have a problem with it. The major is going to be in command so I'll leave it up to her to decide if she can operate with the manpower she'll have. OK?"



Well, if don't happen, it don't happen. I'll live with it.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 696 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 2 May 2008
at 12:28
Re: Absolution and Advice
Cap'n Rae:
"All men are tyrants in their hearts. The Russian, he is no different. The people of this town are safe and they are grateful. They live in peace and relative prosperity because of the labor of others who are not so fortunate. Human bondage is a sinful practice, to be sure. But the commandant has assured those of us who have raised objections that the laborers are simply serving out a kind of indenture. They are fed, clothed, given shelter; a year of labor in the mines or the fields and they will be given citizenship. We shall see. I visit their camps and they are, on the whole, cared for... adequately. From what I have heard, Tarnobrzeg certainly has no claim to moral high ground. Yet I fear a contest between the two strongmen. This area has been quiet for many months and more death benefits no one but Lucifer. Your group should leave here and be on their way before more blood is shed."


Dawid nodded, troubled.

"Thank you, Father."

"So many have died, yet still we fight among ourselves."

"It is good that at if the labour is conscripted, the people will be allowed a better opportunity. If God allows, I will return one day to see if the Commandant has kept his word."

"I will take your counsel and ask my fellows to not aid in this attack. Go with God."


He thanked him and left.

Once back on the boat he sought out Anneka and Konrad and related what the Priest said.

"...so it seems the labourers are conscripted, but in exchange for food and shelter and citizenship."

"The Priest advised we not take part in more senseless killing. Is pulling out an option, whether or not the Commandant knows ahead of time?"

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 374 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 2 May 2008
at 13:08
Re: At the briefing
Minh Quyen:
After the meeting, Quyen approaches Tucker - "Hey sergeant. We gotta some stuff to do it seems. What do you want me to do? Keep working on the defenses, get on the radios, or something else?"
Tucker looks at Minh, "I'm not sure.  I think Major Soleblume is in charge of the tug for this OP.  Me though, I'd say keep working on the tug's defenses while we have the opportunity.  We lose the tug, we're shit outta luck when we  got to leave here.  Might not be a bad idea either to have yourself or one of the others work on the commo lines for the ship.  It'd be nice to have them operational before the attack.  That's just me though.  I'm not trying to step on the Major's toes here Minh, I got into it with her before and I'm not looking for that to happen again!"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:08, Fri 02 May 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 74 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 3 May 2008
at 01:01
Getting ready
Dave helps sort and stow the ammo brought aboard by the consctipts. Thinking about it, he finds Anneka.
Hey Boss-lady, he says. I'm going to grab some of these 40 mm grenades for my launcher. You think half a dozen will be enough, since we'll be on the tug? I don't know what weapon you'll have me on, but I want a few with me in case I have to leave my station to reinforce or treat someone.

After finding out her answer, he makes his rounds of the party, checking on each to make sure thier personal first aid kit is stocked, and easly accessable.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 692 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 3 May 2008
at 18:39
The Hour of Battle Approaches

H-hour for the oddly scheduled afternoon attack on Tarnobrzeg approaches. During the preceding hours, the Vasilek position has been improved with extra armor, the AGS-17 has been mounted on the bridge roof behind a low, broad, sheet metal-reinforced sandbagged wall, and the aft Dushka and Mk-19 positions have been strengthened with sheet metal and surplus sandbags from the old barge gun position.

A light rain begins to fall as the full security team assembles for a briefing on the attack plan. Everyone has been well fed and the previous night's rest has the team energized and thinking clearly. Belowdecks, Grzyech and Luboslaw begin to prep the engines for action. Walter and Snow- in his last act as part of the Krolowa's party- detach the barge with its new bunker- resembling a squat hatbox resting atop an overturned baking tray- from the tug. Looking southwards, the group can see and hear the Sandomierz militia's BTR and BMPs, along with a few trucks and UAZ jeeps, crossing the bridge to assemble on the east bank of the Vistula.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:29, Sat 03 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 169 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 3 May 2008
at 21:32
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Griet took up her position on the PKMG and checked her kit was all ready. She firmly secured her helmet under her chin and turned to wave at Adam. This venture was a risky one, but hopefully it would help secure the future security of the boat. She looked at the sketch map she had of the battle zone. Thinking for a moment she leant over the rail and called to Dawid, "Dawid, how much WP do we have left? I was thinking that if we hit the Recoiless Rifle with a WP cloud we might drive the crew away. If we hope to secure some heavy weaponry out of this, we can't go blowing it all up."
Sam McCoy
 player, 15 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 3 May 2008
at 21:34
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
"Tug this is 29 savoy, radio check over."

"I will be your laison for the attack. "

" Will call for fires when needed"

"you are cleared for all fire on the three shore bunkers"

"after that call to confirm with me so there is no blue on blue"

"29 savoy out"
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 76 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 3 May 2008
at 23:38
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Dave cracks open the case of Soviet 40mm grenades and stuffs 3 into his pockets. That gives him a total of 6. He makes a quick function check of his AK, and ensures his aid bag is out of the way for access to his ammo, but still within easy reach.

He approaches Anneka and asks "Major, where ya want me? And don't tell me naked in your rack, we don't have time that that foolishness", he says with a smile and a wink.

Dave
AK-74, 6 full mags
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Bayonet

Jason Kasparov
 player, 186 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 4 May 2008
at 14:41
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Jason collects his AK-74, and a dozen extra magazines from the hold. Strapping on his helmet, his combat gear and a few grenades, he heads to the deck and looks for Minh.

"Did the assign us positions while I was sleeping? My old position is kinda destroyed. " He smiles at the girl. "Never did have that card game, did we?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 375 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 4 May 2008
at 15:19
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Tucker assembles on deck and watches the work crews take off the barge that has limited the tug's ability for evasive actions.  He is in his full combat MOLLE gear and body armor with his M-16/M-203 (loaded HE Round) slung over his shoulder.  He carries only the essentials; weapons, ammo, medical supplies, & water on his person.  Even though there is still a light rain, he still wears his vinyl poncho to keep the chill off his body.

Robert looks to Jason (if he's around), "Looks like we're going to have to hold off on cards until after the OP is over now Jason!"

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
On deck assembled for briefing
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 221 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 4 May 2008
at 22:04
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Mariusz was not totally sure if there would be a shore party or not. As this was the case, he did what troops in memorial have done, he satyed at his post and waited for someone higher up the food chain to tell him what to do. He spent the time checking over his DUSHKA and wondering if Snowy could chrome it for him.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 698 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 5 May 2008
at 06:03
Forward Gun Tub
Dawid examined the gun tub, satisfied that it seemed a little more reinforced than before.

There still wasn't a lot of ammunition, Especially if they were to be performing regular fire missions; they would be out of action in far less than a minute. Oh well, a lot could happen in a minute!

He loaded 1 clip of 5 fragmentation (HE) shells into the Vasilek's magazine and brought the second up to the "ready" position, along with a clip of anti-vehicle (HEDP) in case the hovercraft showed up. If smoke or illumination rounds were needed, they could be handed up from below.

Checking the 2 RPK-74s sitting on their bipods nearby on deck he placed a spare 40-round magazine by each (reloading the second one), plus 2 belt pouches with 6 30-round magazines per weapon. (2 6-mag ammo pouches per RPK-74.)

For himself, he made sure he had 6 spare magazines for the Tantal, plus 6 rounds of spare 40mm HE for the attached BG-15 in the pockets and pouches of his lifchika chest ammo harness that was over his webbing and Kevlar vest. Stechkin was in its holster/stock, clipped to his belt.

Smoking a shared cigarette with whomever else was there, he waited nervously for the now-nimble tug to begin its journey. At the moment he had on his beret, sitting on his salvaged Kevlar helment. Idly, he wondered if the hovercraft was fixed and if they would face it again on the river.

Also, while all war and killing served Lucifer, what did that say about what they were going to do? Trade was important, and the leader of Sandomierz seemed to be more self-interested and concerned about the community, instead of building an empire like the Hetman of Tarnobreg. Should the time come to institute a democratic government, perhaps the commandante of one town would be more tractable than the hetman of the other.

Again, there was a foreigner leading the ORMP there, and another leading the ORMO here. Would we ever be free of the outsiders?



Dawid Piotrowski
Tantal + BG-15 (30/30 + 6 30rd mags, 1/1 HE + 6)
Stechkin (21/21)

Vasilek 5/5 HE, + 5 HE, 5 HEDP

2 AK-74 (40/40 + 1 40rd mag, + 12 30rd mags ea.)


[Private to Cap'n Rae: Dawid took magazines from stores in the hold to provide spare ammunition for the RPK-74s, as well as some 40mm for his own needs.]

This message was last edited by the player at 08:55, Mon 05 May 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 582 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Mon 5 May 2008
at 13:05
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Hey Boss-lady, he says. I'm going to grab some of these 40 mm grenades for my launcher. You think half a dozen will be enough, since we'll be on the tug? I don't know what weapon you'll have me on, but I want a few with me in case I have to leave my station to reinforce or treat someone.

"Take what you need," she replied absently, still trying to work out how she was supposed to use the limited number of available people to crew the many postitions in need of filling.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
He approaches Anneka and asks "Major, where ya want me? And don't tell me naked in your rack, we don't have time that that foolishness", he says with a smile and a wink.

Scratching out yet another draft, she decided that as the plan called for the tug to stand off and stay out of effective small arms range, there was less importance on the machineguns.
"You're assigned to the AGS-17," she frowned. Here they where, shortly heading off into danger once more and he was actually flirting? If he'd not actually been her type, she might have had to say something - probably should anyways since she was an officer and he enlisted.
"I'd suggest locating it on the upper deck, somewhere near the rear DShK, but I'll leave that up to you."
Up on the roof of the bridge felt too exposed to Anneka, especially as Stoner was second medic and would need the ability to rapidly move about the vessel at will.

Gathering her notes and equipment, she moved about the tug, informing those who where staying aboard their assignments for the attack.

"Dawid, Minh, I don't think you need to be told you're going to stay with the mortar on the bow. Better see if you can scrounge up a radio to receive fire support calls."
Any radio would probably suffice as the only reply they should need to give would be in the form of high explosive rounds on the designated target...

"Hicks, your primary weapon is to be your auto grenade launcher with M240 machinegun as backup." Again, little real suprise there.

"Stan, you're starboard DShK, and Jason, I'd like you on the port DShK. Your primary roles though are lookouts rather than machinegunners. You're also to take over, or assist if necessary with the grenade launchers."
Although she realised the pair had minimal skill with heavier weapons, what choice did they have? At least the plan she'd sweated over had the best people controlling the heaviest weapons.

"Milk, I'd like you to remain in your usual position at the aft DShK but primarily act as fire controller for Hicks and his grenade launcher. You'll also be responsible for maintaining communications with the ground teams."

"Griet, you're to take your usual position with the PKMs and pass any messages between the mortar position, bridge and DShKs."

Without a working intercom between all the positions, Griets job was possibly the most important of all. As had been seen in the previous encounters, effective communication was vital.

"I will be positioned on the upper deck, just behind the smokestack."
She wasn't really sure what use she'd be there, or anywhere for that matter, but it was central. Most likely once they'd moved into position, she'd be superfluous, and very little would really be required of her besides assisting with reloading. Even treating casualties would probably be unnecessary if all went to plan.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 626 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 5 May 2008
at 14:10
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Bayer stands on the main deck, he nods at Tucker and approaches him. "It seems we are not required to go ashore for the FOO party. I am still keen on getting a team on the ground to acquire a limited amount of war spoils. We should take advantage of this to rebuild our trading processions. Stoner too... since he's got just the shirt on his back. What do you think about that sergeant?" he asks.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 376 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 5 May 2008
at 14:22
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer stands on the main deck, he nods at Tucker and approaches him. "It seems we are not required to go ashore for the FOO party. I am still keen on getting a team on the ground to acquire a limited amount of war spoils. We should take advantage of this to rebuild our trading processions. Stoner too... since he's got just the shirt on his back. What do you think about that sergeant?" he asks.
Tucker smiles as he listens to Konrad's idea of his own 'war spolis' shore team.  "I got no problem with that idea sir!  I think it might do us good to see how the other half is living and I want in on your plan.  They can't use it if their dead sir!"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 627 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 5 May 2008
at 14:29
Upper Deck
Bayer nods to Tucker's enthusiastic response. "Ja. Ok... I will pass on our intentions." He then heads up to the upper deck in search of the Major.

"Doctor. As we are not needed to provide a FOO party, we also are unable to collect some of the war spoils as intended. Can you manage without three of us? Has Griet determined if there are reinforcements coming?" he asks Anneka.

"I still believe it would be in our interest to do so. To collect our fair share of captured arms and munitions." he continues. "We won't go if you cannot manage with what you have. So I'd like to have an answer."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 699 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 5 May 2008
at 15:45
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Anneka Soleblume:
Gathering her notes and equipment, she moved about the tug, informing those who where staying aboard their assignments for the attack.

"Dawid, Minh, I don't think you need to be told you're going to stay with the mortar on the bow. Better see if you can scrounge up a radio to receive fire support calls."
Any radio would probably suffice as the only reply they should need to give would be in the form of high explosive rounds on the designated target...


Dawid looked at Anneka and then to Minh.

"Major, some considerations."

"I think that communications can be done over the telephone, as long as someone with a radio is on the other end of the line. If that's not enough, then Clarence should be stationed here, at the tug's critical weapons system."

"Second, the er, hover vehicle... it is only damaged, and could be back. Let us establish a warning code for the lookouts, so that when sounded I will know to reload the Vasilek with anti-vehicle rounds; we may have no time to lose. Perhaps three blasts on the tug's whistle, or a verbal code: "COSSACK"."

"Third, if we have anyone ashore to recover weapons and ammunition, I strongly recommend 82mm shells be top of the list. We know there are mortars there, it should be possible."

"Lastly, should it come to this, if it seems like the ORMO onboard (if any come) might try and take the boat, I will volunteer to enter the ammunition magazine below the Vasilek so that we may threaten to explode it if the tug is taken away."


Dawid Piotrowski
Tantal + BG-15 (30/30 + 6 30rd mags, 1/1 HE + 6)
Stechkin (21/21)

Vasilek 5/5 HE, + 5 HE, 5 HEDP

2 AK-74 (40/40 + 1 40rd mag, + 12 30rd mags ea.)

This message was last edited by the player at 15:51, Mon 05 May 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 77 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 5 May 2008
at 22:14
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Anneka Soleblume:
"You're assigned to the AGS-17," "I'd suggest locating it on the upper deck, somewhere near the rear DShK, but I'll leave that up to you."
Up on the roof of the bridge felt too exposed to Anneka, especially as Stoner was second medic and would need the ability to rapidly move about the vessel at will.


"I will be positioned on the upper deck, just behind the smokestack."
She wasn't really sure what use she'd be there, or anywhere for that matter, but it was central. Most likely once they'd moved into position, she'd be superfluous, and very little would really be required of her besides assisting with reloading. Even treating casualties would probably be unnecessary if all went to plan.


Aye, aye, Ma'm. And may I suggest that you post yourself further forward, maybe even in the radio shack? I was thinking I could keep an eye on the crew from the rear upper deck, and you could watch forward, in case someone gets hit bad and needs our services. I think we may have been able to save old Viktor, if one of us had known he was hit bad.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 695 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 6 May 2008
at 02:30
The Exchange

A single UAZ pulls up to the docks and disgorges five militiamen, three Poles and two Russians. In appearance and deportment, they do not impress. But, one has a Soviet radio and it is soon apparent that this is the militia liaison. The others carry two crates of 82mm HE between them and, the liaison makes clear, will provide the tug with extra manpower in lieu of the Krolowa's departing ground team. The informal exchange completed, the UAZ, now carrying the Krolowa's detached personel, rushes to catch up to the milita company assembling on the east bank of the Vistula. Coms checks are completed and, once ground and river elements are operating on the same frequencies- both literally and figuratively- the combined attack force gets underway.

As the tug manouvers away from the dock, she feels lighter, quicker, more confident to employ an anthropomorphism. Her performance, once freed from the albatros that is the cargo barge, is much improved in all areas.

Anticipation begins to rise among the combined crew as the tugs' prow swings nimbly upstream towards Tarnobrzeg.

Actions?

OOC: Four of the NPCs will be available as "trigger pullers" to use as team sees fit. They are rated as Experienced NPCs. The fifth, a veteran, will need to be stationed on the bridge.

Please remember, the Vasilek, the bridge, and the aft Dushka position are now connected via a hard-line intercom system.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 188 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 6 May 2008
at 04:25
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Grasping his weapon Jason heads for the aft Dshuka and takes his position as lookout.

"Guess the game will have to wait," he replies to Rob. "lets just hope we live to play it."

Standing by the rail, he looks about, hoping to see a familiar face. Minh wasn't about and Mariusz was absent as well.  Hopefully I will die alone he thinks to himself rather than with someone I care for. He scratches his head wondering what ever became of Stanislaw.  Deciding to focus on his task, and not knowing if anyone is even manning the weapon he's spotting for, he checks his AK-74 and prepares for battle.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 702 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 6 May 2008
at 04:43
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Dawid oversaw the offloading of the extra mortar rounds and their storage.

"Excellent, every bit helps!"

He addressed Anneka, "excuse me, I understand that you are busy, but when I passed on the Priest's recommendation to you and Konrad, I did not get a response from either of you."

"Also, I have made some reasonable recommendations, please give me your response."


He didn't look upset, just like he wasn't prepared to be overlooked in the hustle-and-bustle.

Dawid Piotrowski
Tantal + BG-15 (30/30 + 6 30rd mags, 1/1 HE + 6)
Stechkin (21/21)

Vasilek 5/5 HE, + 5 HE, 5 HEDP

2 AK-74 (40/40 + 1 40rd mag, + 12 30rd mags ea.)


[Private to GM: How many 82mm per case? In v2.2 it's 1 5-rd clip, in Paul Mulcahy's site it's 10 rounds per case.]

This message was last edited by the player at 05:52, Tue 06 May 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 628 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 6 May 2008
at 06:49
Re: Absolution and Advice
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Is pulling out an option, whether or not the Commandant knows ahead of time?"</Blue>


"I am not interested in becoming involved in the politics between these two towns. I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is critical for these town to wage war on each other. It seems it ist more a power and expansionist thing to me. That said however, we need an ally... er... rather a haven we can rely on for repairs and provisions." Bayer answers, throwing on his heavy tac vest and Kevlar.

"Pulling out would eliminate our support here and add to those who wish to see us dead. We've already made enemies with T'berg... we mustn't cross everyone along the river... even those with questionable ethics." he says quietly.

"I can understand your hesitation Dawid, he wonders if he would feel that same if they were on the Rhine in Germany, "but I believe I can say truthfully that this needs to be done. Well... maybe not the war itself, but our participation at this point."

Fitting his helmet to his head he adds, "I remember... at the locks I believe... saying that I don't intend to fight everyone I come across on this river. I meant what I said then, and have not forgotten it. You and the priest may be 'right' but I believe unfortunately so am I."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 377 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 6 May 2008
at 13:04
Main Deck
Jason Kasparov:
Grasping his weapon Jason heads for the aft Dshuka and takes his position as lookout.

"Guess the game will have to wait," he replies to Rob. "lets just hope we live to play it."

Standing by the rail, he looks about, hoping to see a familiar face. Minh wasn't about and Mariusz was absent as well.  Hopefully I will die alone he thinks to himself rather than with someone I care for. He scratches his head wondering what ever became of Stanislaw.  Deciding to focus on his task, and not knowing if anyone is even manning the weapon he's spotting for, he checks his AK-74 and prepares for battle.
Tucker stands next to Jason, "Yeah, we'll certainly have to get a few games in when we get this over with.  See you when it's over Kasper!"

Tucker will then find Anneka and Bayer.  "I'm ready to go!"

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Main Deck

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 222 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 6 May 2008
at 13:07
Re: Main Deck
Mariusz sholdered his G3 and checked his gear once more. He moved down to Bayer and asked, "What next Boss?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 629 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 6 May 2008
at 13:30
Salvage Team
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker will then find Anneka and Bayer.  <DarkGreen>"I'm ready to go!"


Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz sholdered his G3 and checked his gear once more. He moved down to Bayer and asked, "What next Boss?"


Bayer nods to the two, "Right." Then turning to the doctor says, "Ja, we will be in radio contact. Call sign 'Vulture' seems to illustrate us well. See you after the battle."

He then leads the salvaging team onto the dock and into the idling UAZ. Taking the passenger seat he gives a friendly nod to the driver, before turning and facing Mariusz, "If he will... drop us off short of their main assault force, but keep a little distance. We are "observers" and not participating in the battle."

Cap'n Rae:
The informal exchange completed, the UAZ, now carrying the Krolowa's detached personel, rushes to catch up to the militia company assembling on the east bank of the Vistula.


Raising his field glasses he watches the militia fall into formation. "What a show ja, Sergeant Tucker? I seriously wonder how this is going to turn out." After a moment he scans over towards the direction of T'berg.

Speaking over his shoulder he says "Mariusz. Ask the fellow here if he has to be any place important in the next couple of hours... or may we hire him for the day? This vehicle can carry more than we can, and get us in and out quicker too."

Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
UAZ (Salvage Team)
Behind Sando Militia

This message was last edited by the player at 13:32, Tue 06 May 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 584 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 6 May 2008
at 13:44
Re: Absolution and Advice
Konrad Bayer:
"Doctor. As we are not needed to provide a FOO party, we also are unable to collect some of the war spoils as intended. Can you manage without three of us? Has Griet determined if there are reinforcements coming?" he asks Anneka.

"Yes," she replied.
"I've planned for You, Tucker and Mariusz to go ashore. If we get a few bodies from the ORMO, I think we might be able to spare one or two more in a pinch."
Although unhappy about it, she acknowledged that without a presence ashore, their chances at claiming a reasonable share of any spoils was limited.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Major, some considerations."

"I think that communications can be done over the telephone, as long as someone with a radio is on the other end of the line. If that's not enough, then Clarence should be stationed here, at the tug's critical weapons system."

"Second, the er, hover vehicle... it is only damaged, and could be back. Let us establish a warning code for the lookouts, so that when sounded I will know to reload the Vasilek with anti-vehicle rounds; we may have no time to lose. Perhaps three blasts on the tug's whistle, or a verbal code: "COSSACK"."

"Third, if we have anyone ashore to recover weapons and ammunition, I strongly recommend 82mm shells be top of the list. We know there are mortars there, it should be possible."

"Lastly, should it come to this, if it seems like the ORMO onboard (if any come) might try and take the boat, I will volunteer to enter the ammunition magazine below the Vasilek so that we may threaten to explode it if the tug is taken away."

"Thank you for your input. The idea of having a radio at your location is so that you do not have to wait for corrections to be relayed to you."
"Any fire called from the tug itself will be relayed to you either verbally or by phone."

"With the sounds of battle, I doubt any verbal code shouted from out of your line of sight will be heard. More likely you'll hear the vehicle itself first!"

"I agree with the 82mm preference, but that's something you'll need to take up with Hauptman Bayer. He's the one going ashore."
Somehow though she doubted that any would be found, at least any that the ORMO would be willing to give up as they were the ones carrying out the bulk of the fighting. Still, it never hurt to hope.

"I don't intend to allow unknown people into positions they can use against us. If in the unlikely event we do appear about to loose the tug, I'm sure most of us will already be dead. At that point, whoever is left I'm sure will do the right thing." Whatever that may be....
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Aye, aye, Ma'm. And may I suggest that you post yourself further forward, maybe even in the radio shack? I was thinking I could keep an eye on the crew from the rear upper deck, and you could watch forward, in case someone gets hit bad and needs our services.

"If only we had a radio shack," she sighed whistfully.
"No, I'll stay where I said. Casualty reports can be either phoned through or shouted as necessary."
If events unfolded as she expected, she'd probably be moving about the tug anyway, issuing new orders, and lending a hand wherever needed.
Cap'n Rae:
A single UAZ pulls up to the docks and disgorges five militiamen, three Poles and two Russians. In appearance and deportment, they do not impress. But, one has a Soviet radio and it is soon apparent that this is the militia liaison. The others carry two crates of 82mm HE between them and, the liaison makes clear, will provide the tug with extra manpower in lieu of the Krolowa's departing ground team.

"Hauptman Bayer! Do you need Stoner to go with you as a fourth?" she inquired as the five ORMO arrived.
"You," she spoke to the man with the radio. "You're to operate the second PKM forward of the bridge." As she knew from experience, he'd be able to effectively communicate with Adam from there while remain out of the crews way.
"You two, assist Plutunowy Piotrowski at the mortar."
"And you other two, report to Hicks on the aft deck."

With two medium machineguns in addition to the Mk-19, there was ample opportunity for him to utilise another two bodies.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:56, Tue 06 May 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 630 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 6 May 2008
at 13:51
Re: Absolution and Advice
Sitting in the passenger seat at the docks, he looks over at Stoner. Ahh, the hobo, he thought. "If you can manage without. He wishes to get a second pair of boots. He can also carry rifles I suppose. I am ok for him to come." he hollers back to the tug.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:52, Tue 06 May 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 585 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 6 May 2008
at 14:08
Re: Absolution and Advice
"Ok, you're going," she said, taking control of the AGS from Stoner.
"Do try to stay out of trouble and in one peice. Somebody aboard might miss you."
With Stoner leaving, operation of the AGS was probably going to be left in her hands. Having interviewed everyone extensively over the past week, she knew without looking at her notes that despite her hardly even having handled a grenade launcher since intial training back in Israel, she was possibly the best choice with everyone else assigned to duties more suited to their individual skills.
"Umm, Dawid," she said over the intercom after fiddling about with the weapon for nearly ten minutes. "Could you please come up here and show me the basics with the AGS?"

Anneka - upper deck, rear
AGS-17 + all spare 30mm ammo
F88/M203
6 mags 5.56 + remaining 40mm grenades (after Stoner takes a share)
HP-35 + 3 mags

OOC: Hmm, a lot of weaponry for a medic. Good thing most is laying on the deck and not actually carried!
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 378 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 6 May 2008
at 14:14
Re: Salvage Team
Konrad Bayer:
He then leads the salvaging team onto the dock and into the idling UAZ. Taking the passenger seat he gives a friendly nod to the driver, before turning and facing Mariusz, "If he will... drop us off short of their main assault force, but keep a little distance. We are "observers" and not participating in the battle."

Cap'n Rae:
The informal exchange completed, the UAZ, now carrying the Krolowa's detached personel, rushes to catch up to the militia company assembling on the east bank of the Vistula.


Raising his field glasses he watches the militia fall into formation. "What a show ja, Sergeant Tucker? I seriously wonder how this is going to turn out." After a moment he scans over towards the direction of T'berg.

Speaking over his shoulder he says "Mariusz. Ask the fellow here if he has to be any place important in the next couple of hours... or may we hire him for the day? This vehicle can carry more than we can, and get us in and out quicker too."
Walking out onto the docks with the ground force, Tucker slings his own rifle, making sure it is on safe, and stands next to the UAZ next to the others.  He turns to Konrad, "Sure as hell is Cap'n!  I got to say this, at least they're organized and seem to know what the hell they're doin'!  Makes me feel a little better about being ashore with 'em.  Kind of nice to just be an observer for a change."
Minh Quyen
 player, 211 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 6 May 2008
at 14:31
Bow
Quyen smiles and shakes her head at the mention of relaxing and playing cards. She'd spent most of her time in the rain grinding. Even a few hours later, she swears she can still hear the grinder working the steel.

Taking up her position next to the mortar, she gives a quick look over at the local support. Hmmph, she mutters quietly to herself. Quyen can feel the weight of her M9, holstered away. After digging out her AK74 she hid under her gear, she places it on the deck next to the mortar. She looks over the RPKs, not as a distrust towards Dawid though.

Quyen also confirmed the exact location of the HEDP ammo. If she is to change to that type of munition, chances are it will have to be in a hurry. As the tug heads back upriver, she stands up straight beside the Vasilek and digs out her smokes. One more before battle, another after, and one before bed, she rations them out in her head. After lighting it Quyen offers to share it with Dawid.

Minh Quyen
AK74 (28 rounds) - 10/12 Smokes
Vasilek Position
Getting in one quick smoke before the attack

This message was last edited by the player at 14:33, Tue 06 May 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 703 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 6 May 2008
at 16:30
Re: Absolution and Advice
Konrad Bayer:
Fitting his helmet to his head he adds, "I remember... at the locks I believe... saying that I don't intend to fight everyone I come across on this river. I meant what I said then, and have not forgotten it. You and the priest may be 'right' but I believe unfortunately so am I."


Dawid smiled.

"Thank you for seeking me out with your answer, my friend. You seemed quite busy and I was not sure you heard me at all."

"Of course, there are many ways to be right or wrong. One can be both right and wrong."


He held up one hand.

"Philosophically, Poles killing fellow Pole upsets me, and religiously speaking it's hard to classify this as a "just war"."

He held up the other.

"On one hand, I see advantages for the Government-in-Exile to have Sandomierz in control here. Secure travel and trade along the river is crucial, and while Sandomierz seems to understand that, our dealings with the hetman suggests to me he is less inclined towards the flexibility and compromise that will be needed for a long-term political solution or arrangement here. Indeed, he seeks to create a feudal empire! The use of conscripted labour here disturbs me, but at least the town's leader seeks to be inclined towards a degree of accountability to the people."

He let the first drop.

"However, I agree we have gone too far now to change course; so let us carry through on our part of the bargain as best we can, and pray for the future."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:16, Tue 06 May 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 704 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 6 May 2008
at 16:40
Re: Absolution and Advice
Anneka Soleblume:
"Thank you for your input. The idea of having a radio at your location is so that you do not have to wait for corrections to be relayed to you."
"Any fire called from the tug itself will be relayed to you either verbally or by phone."

"With the sounds of battle, I doubt any verbal code shouted from out of your line of sight will be heard. More likely you'll hear the vehicle itself first!"

"I agree with the 82mm preference, but that's something you'll need to take up with Hauptman Bayer. He's the one going ashore."
Somehow though she doubted that any would be found, at least any that the ORMO would be willing to give up as they were the ones carrying out the bulk of the fighting. Still, it never hurt to hope.

"I don't intend to allow unknown people into positions they can use against us. If in the unlikely event we do appear about to loose the tug, I'm sure most of us will already be dead. At that point, whoever is left I'm sure will do the right thing." Whatever that may be....


Dawid nodded.

"Good then.

"It is really quite late for me to be looking for a radio, not that I would be that familiar with your Western sets anyways! Should it come to the telephone line being cut or relayed instructions not sufficienct, then send Clarence down here to assist."

"Thank you for your time, Major."


Dawid decided not the push the issue about what the Priest had said earlier; while he was curious as to what Anneka's answer would be he'd already discussed the matter with Konrad.

He took the 2 ORMO assigned to this position in hand, sending one down into the ammo storage locker to hand up the extra munitions stored there, the other to assist Mihn in moving the gun and manning the RPK-74s nearby on the deck.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 173 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 6 May 2008
at 16:44
Re: Absolution and Advice
Griet stood at her position, she had finished checking her weapon over and making sure that the belt would feed smoothly. She saw the shore party preparing themselves to go into the cauldron for loot. She knew that without weapons and ammo they would have little chance further downriver, but it saddened her to thing of men going bravely into danger for the sake of a few mortar rounds.

For all the arguing and inconsistensies, she thought, these were good people, not just willing to go along with her father's dreams but to die for them. She just hoped that no one had to die today. One day at a time and maybe, just maybe they'd make a happy ending out of the tragedy of Poland as it was.

She smiled, not one of these people thought they'd die today, each one the hero of their own little life. But all the little stories were caught up in the bigger one, and stories needed to feed, and stories ate people. Please, she thought to herself, make the story eat the guy who thinks he's in Apocalyse Now, there, the story of another good Pole stolen by the Americans, let's win this one back, she thought, today, let's feed the story another Kurz.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 705 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 6 May 2008
at 16:57
Re: Bow
Minh Quyen:
Quyen also confirmed the exact location of the HEDP ammo. If she is to change to that type of munition, chances are it will have to be in a hurry. As the tug heads back upriver, she stands up straight beside the Vasilek and digs out her smokes. One more before battle, another after, and one before bed, she rations them out in her head. After lighting it Quyen offers to share it with Dawid.


He gratefully accepted it, took a long drag, handed it back.

"Thank you, my friend, that is better than my Ukrainian ones."

Looking between the RPK-74s, the Vasilek and the phone, he tried to fix them in his memory so that he could easily find them in the chaos of battle. He thought the ORMO might be a little iffy, but he knew Minh would be as solid and dependable as usual.

He indicated the SAWs sitting on their bipods nearby.

"Not that you require any advice, but should you man one of the "Ruchnoy Pulemyot Kalashnikovas", that is, those heavy Kalashninovs you see there, then fire them fully automatically and don't be shy. There is plenty of ammunition for both, each has 2 pouches of magazines. However, should you decide to fire your own rifle, then I suggest you take single, aimed shots."


quote:
The intercom rang. "Umm, Dawid, could you please come up here and show me the basics with the AGS?"

Dawid sighed, taking a last drag from the cigarette. "Here, have another. I must go. Keep an eye on things here, eh?" He gave her one of the horrible fags cut with sawdust and then left to see what Anneka needed.

He arrived at the AGS-17's position.

"Hello again, Major!"

"These devices are quite simple. You pull the fabric belt from the cannister here, then insert there. Pull the chain to cock it..."
Carefully, he explained the care and feeding of the AGS-17 Plamya Grenade Launcher.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:18, Tue 06 May 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 80 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 6 May 2008
at 21:17
Re: Absolution and Advice
Anneka Soleblume:
"Ok, you're going," she said, taking control of the AGS from Stoner.
"Do try to stay out of trouble and in one peice. Somebody aboard might miss you."


Hoooyah! Loot-n-pillage time. Ya'll need help, just yell. Tug shouldn't be so far out I can't swim. With that he, he jumps over the gunwhales to the dock and jogs to the shore party.

Hey guys. You call for a doc?
Dave
Shore party
AK-74, 6 mags
BG-15, 6 he, 1 illum
aid bag

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 696 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 8 May 2008
at 02:51
Advance to Contact

The ground column and the tug head south, the Krolowa lagging somewhat behind the APCs and trucks of the militia main force. It's probably just as well since the tower of smoke spewed by the tug as she pushes towards top speed would no doubt tip off the IPAT to the Sandomierz forces' approach.

From the upper superstructure of the tug, a reminder of the previous day's action comes into view. The blackened shell of the IPAT Humvee "technical" sits forlorn, roughly 30m from the riverbank, and surrounded by a ring of burnt turf.

At a little over 1km from the outskirts of Tarnobrzeg, as the ground column reaches its jumping-off point and begins splitting into its various attack and support elements, the enemy reveals his vigilance. This innitial IPAT response, although not wholly unexpected, is still surprisingly sharp and violent.

Almost without warning, a 120mm HE rounds detonates on the blacktop, creating casualties and sewing momentary panic and confusion among the Sandomierz platoons preparing to continue the advance along the road. An additional three heavy mortar rounds drop on and around the road adding to the carnage and chaos. Konrad, Tucker, Mariusz, and Stoner quickly un-ass their ride (the UAZ that picked them up at the dock) and burry themselves in the damp earth. The concussion of the big mortar rounds washes over them and globs of mud and hunks of turf rain down from the overcast sky. The screams of wounded begin to blare out from all around. About 20m ahead, in the middle of the road, a URAL truck begins to burn.

One of the units tasked to advance parallel to the road, on its inland side, open fire (at extreme long range) on a position about 200m down the road. Apparently, they've spotted the enemy OP and are taking it under fire.

The Krolowa arrives as the first of the mortar rounds begins to fall. From her perch on the bridge roof, Anneka can see a small IPAT team- presumably the group who called down the mortar fire mission) withdrawing down the road along the shallow drainage just off its shoulder (they are about 300m distant and moving away from the tug as fast as their feet can carry them). It's doubtful that they can be seen from ground level (those on the companionways may see the tops of their heads every couple of seconds).

The battle for Tarnobrzeg has begun.

Actions?

OOC: I'm doing the best I can to interpret and stay faithful to McCoy's plan. Honestly, with all of the acronyms, it's over my head. Law isn't available to help me, so I'm kind of winging it. But, no plan survives contact with the enemy so we're going to have to do a little improvising here. If I make any mistakes in the plan's execution, I blame them on the relative poor quality of the Sandomierz troops, most of whom hail from category 3 divisions or the rear echelons of such.

Dawid, let's say the two crates each contain two 5-round clips, for 20 rounds total of 82mm HE.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:54, Thu 08 May 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 189 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 8 May 2008
at 05:02
Re: Advance to Contact
"Son of a bitch," Jason exclaims, watching the first few rounds crashing down into the troops. "Its a goddamn slaughter."

Unable to do anything but watch, Jason shakes his head at the carnage and knows that the ship is in for one hell of a fight.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 81 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 8 May 2008
at 11:16
Re: Advance to Contact
"Shit", Dave yells as he hits the ground and dives into the ditch paralelling the road. He looks forward, judging the incoming fire. He's torn between staying put and moving forward to do something, anything. Either help the wounded or add his grenade launcher to the fire on the OP.

"Fuck it", he mutters to himself. He starts a low crawl toward the burning truck with the intent of helping some of the soldiers.

Dave
shore party
AK-74, 6 mags
BG-15, 6 he, 1 illum
aid bag

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 223 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 8 May 2008
at 11:20
Re: Advance to Contact
Maruusz lay fully prone as hell burst around him and pointed his rifle in the general direction of the enemy. He yelled out, "I'll cover for anyone who wants to move forward!"

His eyes focusing through the sights and out to the land in front of him he strained to find any enemy soldiers that might fire on his companions if they chose to advance.

He yelled at the UAZ driver, "Get out of the vechicle and take cover!"
Maruisz
G3 20/20
Lying prone and on overwatch
First shot aimed then 19 rounds suppressive fire

This message was last edited by the player at 11:56, Thu 08 May 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 379 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 8 May 2008
at 16:14
Re: Advance to Contact
Tucker was actually enjoying the ride to T-Berg when he heard the sounds of the first mortar round begin to fall on the road.  He follows suit with his companions in the UAZ and head for some cover, grabbing whatever gear he has with him.  He slides into the nearest piece of cover and gets low, burrying his head in the soft ground as the rounds hit and they're covered with mud and who knows what else what...

Robert picks his head up to survey the damage done by the mortar rounds and makes sures his companions are OK.  He looks over at Konrad and the others (depending on where they are) and yelss out, "SO MUCH FOR JUST BEING FUCKING OBSERVERS!  WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO KONRAD?"  Tucker gets his grenade launcher ready to fire on the OP if needed.

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Getting grenade launcher ready to fire and trying to keep low
Konrad Bayer
 player, 632 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 8 May 2008
at 16:55
Re: Advance to Contact
Lying prone, Bayer scans the ground ahead of the party. He doesn't object to Stoner, but hopes the man stays in sight. He didn't want to have to go chasing after him. Not amongst the violence and confusion which was occuring on the Sando militia. "Stay in place!" he yells to the two others near him.

Looking over his shoulder he checks to make sure the Pole didn't drive off with the UAZ... the main reason he didn't want them to move ahead. "If you have a shot, take it. But hold this position... its still not our fight. Patience men, wait to see what the Militia does next" If the Sando militia broke and ran... and they moved up ahead, they would be committed and on their own. That, and the UAZ kept him fixed in place.

He wondered if he was going to hear the Krolowa behind him begin its first salvo.

Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
Prone with shore party
Waiting to see the Militia's response

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 174 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 9 May 2008
at 06:14
Aboard the boat.
Griet cursed silently as the carefully laid plans began to fall apart. She gripped her gun and kept wel behind her gunshield. She called out, "Keep your eyes peeled for snipers. If they have scouts and Forward Observers out, they may haev snipers out too!"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 590 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sat 10 May 2008
at 15:44
Re: Aboard the boat.
At least they weren't aiming for the tug, were Anneka's first thoughts.
"Milk," she yelled in between explosions.
"Spot for Hicks."
Located on the main deck, there was no chance of a direct line of sight to the enemy forward observers. As it was, only those on the bridge, a couple of metres higher than her own location, were likely to have a decent view of the action.
"First though, ask Adam to swing the tug around for a broadside."
She should have planned better and had the intercom handset moved to her position a few yards further forward....
Checking the AGS was ready for firing, she pointed the stubby barrel in the direction she'd seen movement, and waited until she had a clear shot.

Anneka
AGS-17
Issuing instructions through Milk to Adam
Requesting Milk spot for Hicks
Readying to fire single grenade at target of opportunity

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 707 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 11 May 2008
at 03:43
Re: Aboard the boat.
Hearing the not-so-distant booming and pops of mortar and gunfire, Dawid grinned with a confidence he only half-felt.

"Hear that? Our boys are giving them hell! Keep your heads down."


He switched back to English for Minh's sake. "Please keep an eye on the west bank for us, never know if they'll have a sniper there."

Tantal + BG-15 (30/30 + 1/1)
82mm Vasilek (5/5 HE, 5 HE + 5 HEDP on deck, rest below)

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 699 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 11 May 2008
at 03:53
The Battle Continues

As Konrad, Mariusz, and Tucker look on, Stoner crawls down the road towards the burning Ural. Fortunately, the troops that had ridden in on it had dismounted before the first mortar round fell, or the carnage could have been much worse. The driver and his assistant, however...

Dave looked up and saw the driver's assistant, fully engulfed in flames in the truck's cab, his skin blackening, his hair singed away, moving aimlessly and slow, as if under water. Then, suddenly, he is still. A few meters away, off the road on the right was a prone man, groaning softly. Dave moves closer until he is within touching distance. He gets up on his knees and instantly notices a huge exit wound in the man's lower back. He can see fragments of bone amid the blood and gore portruding from the gaping, skillet-sized wound. The man is finished. Dave moves on until he finds another militiaman. He has shrapnel in both legs. He's doing his best not to scream but his pain is obvious. There is a lot of blood. Quite a lot. But upon closer inspection it is clear that no major veins or arteries have been severed. This one can be saved. Dave gets to work patching him up.

Meanwhile, on board the Krolowa, Anneka orders a broadside on the fleeing picket. By the time the agile tug swings its port side to face the distant town, the IPAT runners have disappeared from view. They must have either gone to ground again or perhaps they are using some subtle fold in the seemingly level terrain to avoid being seen. On the tug's bridge, the Russian liaison's radio blares to life.

"Shell the city! Shell it now! Silence that mortar!"

The liaison, unaware of the new ship's intercom system, leans out of the bridge door and shouts down to the Vasilek pit.

"Open fire on the city! Silence that enemy mortar immediately!"

Back on shore, the Sandomierz militia, having recovered their composure, continues spreading out into their attack positions. Both BMPs swing further out into the fields bordering the road on the inland side. The mortar squad- shorthanded due to casualties sustained in the IPAT shelling- hastily sets up three of its tubes and begins laying them on Tarnobrzeg. As loaders arrive with crates of mortar rounds, the tubes cough forth a counter-barrage. The attack platoons, believing the enemy mortar silenced- or at least temporarily sated- begin to advance towards their objectives. Several seconds later, the sound of distant detonations can be heard rumbling out from the town. Assuming the attack had caught the defenders by surprise, there'd been no time for the residents to flee. Hopefully the many civilians Griet saw on her brief visit there have managed to take shelter...

Actions?

OOC: Those players whose PCs are on board the Queen, please post your character's location either in a combat tag or by changing the subject line of your post. I'm unclear as to exactly where most of the tug team is located at the moment. Thanks much.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:54, Sun 11 May 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 592 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 11 May 2008
at 06:31
Upper deck, rear
Anneka waited with her finger on the trigger. There was little point in firing until they had a target to fire at even with an area effect weapon like the AGS. Up forward she knew that Dawid would likewise be waiting for orders before firing blindly. Ammunition wasn't so plentiful that they could shoot without somebody correcting their shots....
[Private to Cap'n Rae: Just waiting on an FO to call in fire. It's all well and good for the ORMO liason to issue the order, but a town is a big place...
Also, he's marked as ORMO3 on the layout I've just posted in OOC - at the PKM Anneka usually occupies just forward and below the bridge, close enough to be a part of operations while still being able to fire a weapon.
]

Anneka
AGS+F88/M203
Waiting for targets

Minh Quyen
 player, 212 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 11 May 2008
at 10:54
Re: Aboard the boat.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He switched back to English for Minh's sake. "Please keep an eye on the west bank for us, never know if they'll have a sniper there."


"Ok." she says after a moment of watching the smoke billowing up. Then after a quiet "Whoa." she turns her attention to the west bank.

A short moment later she hears the yelling for mortar to enter the battle. Keeping her attention on the shore, she moves into position to help rotate the mortar in the necessary direction (assuming it is out of its arc of fire). "Ready when you are." she says confidently, keeping an ear open for the fire mission instructions.

Quyen
Mortar #2
AK-74 on the deck
Crewing the mortar/keeping watch

This message was last edited by the player at 10:55, Sun 11 May 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 224 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 11 May 2008
at 11:00
Ashore
Mariusz lay prone, covering the medic as he ministered to the sick. He was alert to respons to any threats or arders that might come his way.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 175 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 11 May 2008
at 11:05
Port PKMG
Greit scanned her sector and checked for snipers. She heard the Sandomierz liaison yell for fire and she switched to trying to remember where the mortar had been emplaced. She saw the tower of the church and yelled at Dawid, "Dawid! The mortar was about thirty meters west of the tower. I'll bet the tower has an OP too!"

She hoped that Dawid got the message. Firing blind they had little hope of hitting the mortar but if the rounds came close enough they might force it to relocate.

[Private to Cap'n Rae: I'm improvising here otherwise the mortar is wasting rounds if they decide to fire at all. The IPAT could always have relocated the mortar since then. I would if an enemy had clocked it's position.]
Konrad Bayer
 player, 634 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 11 May 2008
at 11:19
Shore
"Tucker! Mariusz! Lets take a few bounds forward to cover Stoner better. But keep behind the Sando line." Bayer yells to the two men near him. "Tucker cover first, Mariusz and myself move!" he adds.

Using a leapfrog method, Bayer rises and dashes forward a few meters with Mariusz to his flank. He will then cover forward and allow Tucker to take his move. They will keep doing this until they near the Sando line. Bayer's intention is to try to keep back enough from becoming a part of the battle.

Konrad Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
Shore Party
Tactical movement towards the Sando Militia

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 85 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 11 May 2008
at 12:21
Re: Shore
Dave continues working on the wounded. He's not advancing any closer to the action than the burned truck that was in front of them in the convoy.

Dave
AK-74, 6 mags
BG15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 225 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 11 May 2008
at 12:38
Re: Shore
Mariusz followed Bayer's orders and started pepperpoting.

Mariusz
G3 20/20
Following Bayer's orders.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 190 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 11 May 2008
at 14:05
Re: Useless by the aft Dushka
Staring in disbelief, Jason watches the battle unfold. Acting as a lookout, he has little to do but scan the area for possible contacts.

Jason Kasparov
Aft dushka observer
AK74 (9mags)
Scanning the area with binoc.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 708 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 11 May 2008
at 17:22
Re: Aboard the boat.
Minh Quyen:
"Ok." she says after a moment of watching the smoke billowing up. Then after a quiet "Whoa." she turns her attention to the west bank.

A short moment later she hears the yelling for mortar to enter the battle. Keeping her attention on the shore, she moves into position to help rotate the mortar in the necessary direction (assuming it is out of its arc of fire). "Ready when you are." she says confidently, keeping an ear open for the fire mission instructions.


Smiling, nodded in approval.

"Not just yet, my friend. Our own mortars will soon suppress the enemy's artillery..."

He listened to the answering barrage.

"Yes, there they are."

They turned broadside to try and get a shot at the fleeing enemy FOOs, and Dawid cursed as his aim point was thrown off. He hopped off the mortar, calling over the ORMO on deck and Minh to help him swivel the Vasilek to keep it trained in their direction of fire. When the tug turned back, they turned the mortar back to it's proper bearing.

"Our role is mainly direct fire support of the platoon closest to the river bank, then the 3 platoons to it's left, attacking up the road. We may not even get indirect fire orders."

"We must keep careful track of where our own forces are located. We do not want to fire on them by accident. I have a different task for you Minh, will you observe them and make note of our ORMO's positions?"


Dawid held out his binoculars for her. He then addressed the ORMO who were with them.

You! What are your names? Tell me now!"

Vasilek (5/5 HE + 5 HE, 5 HEDP)
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 383 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 11 May 2008
at 17:34
Re: Shore
Konrad Bayer:
"Tucker! Mariusz! Lets take a few bounds forward to cover Stoner better. But keep behind the Sando line." Bayer yells to the two men near him. "Tucker cover first, Mariusz and myself move!" he adds.

Using a leapfrog method, Bayer rises and dashes forward a few meters with Mariusz to his flank. He will then cover forward and allow Tucker to take his move. They will keep doing this until they near the Sando line. Bayer's intention is to try to keep back enough from becoming a part of the battle.
Tucker turns his attention to Bayer as he yells out orders to start bounding forward behind the militia.  Tucker gives a nod and a thumbs up to Bayer signalling him that he understands and is ready to start covering their move forward.

Tucker watches and covers as Mariusz and Bayer begin their leap-frog movement forward.  He waits until both of them are set and will begin his towards them.

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Covering Bayer & Mariuszs' tactical movement
Sam McCoy
 player, 21 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 11 May 2008
at 18:38
Re: Shore
" Tug this is two niner savoy"

"we have contact with LP/OP out side of town and have deployed"

"request your fires on the three shore side bunkers facing the river"

"two are HMG and one is a 107mm recoiless rifle"

" you should be in range soon"


" will call if more help is needed"


"Two niner savoy out"


Sam
M25
assault element
Minh Quyen
 player, 213 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 12 May 2008
at 02:11
Re: Aboard the boat.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
I have a different task for you Minh, will you observe them and make note of our ORMO's positions?"</Blue>Dawid held out his binoculars for her.


Squatting back down after readjusting the mortar, Quyen nods, "Yeah. Alright." Accepting the binos, she slides back over to the opposite side of the Vasilek.

Peering at the shore in the direction of the burning truck, she catches sight of Bayer and Mariusz moving up in tactical bounds. She notices Tucker get up and race forward a few seconds later. "Hey! I see the shore party. Only three though... no Stoner. They are moving up but seem ok."

Turning her attention over to the Sando militia, she tries to track their furthest  man ahead of the assault. Taking a physical reference point from the ground, she points it out, "Reference that crooked telephone pole... don't fire to the right of it."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:50, Mon 12 May 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 709 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 12 May 2008
at 04:25
Bow Position
Minh Quyen:
Squatting back down after readjusting the mortar, Quyen nods, "Yeah. Alright." Accepting the binos, she slides back over to the opposite side of the Vasilek.

Peering at the shore in the direction of the burning truck, she catches sight of Bayer and Mariusz moving up in tactical bounds. She notices Tucker get up and race forward a few seconds later. "Hey! I see the shore party. Only three though... no Stoner. They are moving up but seem ok."

Turning her attention over to the Sando militia, she tries to track their furthest  man ahead of the assault. Taking a physical reference point from the ground, she points it out, "Reference that crooked telephone pole... don't fire to the right of it."


"Thank you, that is good to know!"

Dawid finally decided on having 1 ORMO to hand up ammunition, the other to help train the Vasilek, and Minh to spot and bring any immediate targets under direct automatic fire with the closest PRK-74. He communicated this to the personnel with him at the forward position using the appropriate language.

When the order to suppress the 3 riverside bunkers came in and was relayed over the intercom, he asked Minh to spot them for him, so that he could bring them under accurate fire. Once he begins sevicing the targetss if he observes the fragmentation (HE) isn't working, he will switch to anti-armour (HEDP). Ammunition would be handed up as needed.

Vasilek (5/5 HE, + 5 HE, + 5 HEDP)
Firing 2 rounds HE each at each bunker (6 shots HE or HEDP total as needed)

This message was last edited by the player at 11:18, Mon 12 May 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 701 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 13 May 2008
at 00:04
The Unfolding Battle

The militia continue their attack, coming to within visual range of the outskirts of town. A pall of smoke from burning buildings hangs over it. A few of the defenders snipe at the attackers from the upper stories of several of the buildings. The BMPs respond with 73mm HE explosives, silencing the IPAT shooters. Still, four militiamen have fallen to the fire, either dead or badly wounded. The attackers continue forward to be greeted by heavy automatic weapons fire and the BMPs must pause again to locate and engage the enemy machine gun nests. The militia fighters go to ground quickly and it doesn't take much provocation to halt their advance.

Bones stabilizes the first of the wounded as Tucker, Konrad, and Mariusz bound forward to cover him. The platoon assigned to the attack along the road resumes their advance, leaving the tug ground team behind. The UAZ "taxi" remains nearby, its driver quite pleased with his position well behind the point of the spear.

The tug swings its prow back up-river and continues its slow advance. Within a few minutes, the first of the shoreside bunkers comes into view. It is strangely quiet, the barrel of its machine gun protruding stiffly out of the strongpoint's narrow aperture away from the Krolowa.

Actions?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 635 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 13 May 2008
at 07:30
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Bayer hears the radio call for the fire support from the Krolowa. Halting the group a short distance from the Sando skirmish line, he gives a quick look over to check on Stoner. Yelling to his companions to his sides to fill them in, "Fire mission requested."

Lying prone he scans the area ahead, searching for the bunkers the Sando militia wanted suppressed. "Bunker line to the front! Fire mission on the bunkers. Anyone have a shot... give them some fire."

Compared to the firepower of the Krolowa, the shore party wouldn't add much. However, Tucker's 40mm or a lucky rifle shot just might help the Sando militia a little. They still were not committed, but it'd also give the men some action, which he assumed they wanted.

Giving another glance around, he tries to take notice of any war loot. The bunker's will have something good, he guessed hopefully.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 710 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 13 May 2008
at 10:17
Bow Gun Position
Seeing the first bunker was silent, Dawid decided to shift fire to the second one.

The first one only had a Dushka anyways, which was a threat but they were better protected against MG fire now.

However, the middle bunker had a B-11 positioned there. The recoiless rifle could play real havoc wtih the tug, armour or no.

"Minh, please spot the middle bunker for us!"

He answered the intercom and heard what he assumed was Bayer"s request to supress the riverside bunkers.

"Negative, First bunker is unmanned. Will disable 2nd."

When Minh spotted the middle bunker, he planned to fire 2 HE shells at it.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:02, Tue 13 May 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 86 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 13 May 2008
at 11:44
Shore assault
Dave takes a quick glance around, looking for any wouded in his immediate area. If there is some one he can help without moving any closer to the front, he'll help them.

If there's no wounded close, or they're beyond his help, he'll unlimber his weapon and shoot the grenade launcher at available targets.

Dave
Shore party assisting wounded/shooting grenades
AK-74, 6 mags
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 227 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 13 May 2008
at 12:21
Re: Shore assault
Mariusz wriggled across the ground until he found a fold in the land that would give him just a little more cover. He looked around and aimed his rifle forward, searching for targets.

Mariusz
Lying prone
Scoped G3 20/20
Overwatch

Minh Quyen
 player, 214 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 13 May 2008
at 12:24
Re: Bow Gun Position
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Minh, please spot the middle bunker for us!"


Kneeling behind the makeshift cover built around the vasilek, Quyen keeps watch on the slowly advancing friendly forces. At Dawid's call she rotates around. Using the reticule pattern in the field glasses she views the second bunker and estimates the range with the horizontal lines. "Middle bunker! Range... XXX meters!" she calls. A moment later she tenses and anticipates the mild shock of the mortar's fire.

Quyen
Vasilek #2
Ak74 (28 Rounds)
Gauging Target Distance with Binos

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 711 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 13 May 2008
at 12:56
Re: Bow Gun Position
Minh Quyen:
Kneeling behind the makeshift cover built around the vasilek, Quyen keeps watch on the slowly advancing friendly forces. At Dawid's call she rotates around. Using the reticule pattern in the field glasses she views the second bunker and estimates the range with the horizontal lines. "Middle bunker! Range... XXX meters!" she calls. A moment later she tenses and anticipates the mild shock of the mortar's fire.


"Thank you!"

A thought flashed through his mind. The first bunker (#1) was too quiet, considering how organised this crew had shown themselves to be and it was the closest bunker on the main line of attack.

"Keep an eye on the first bunker, there could be someone hiding in it, waiting to strike, or someone could man it later. Keep ranging it for me."

"Firing!"


He decided to fire at the middle one (Bunker #2) for now, but shift fire back to the "abandoned" 1st bunker if necessary.

82mm Vasilek (5/5 HE + 5 HE, 5 HEDP)
Fire plan: firing at least enough HE rounds on middle (B-11 bunker) to achieve a direct hit, Shift fire to first bunker if there are any signs of life. If Bunker #2 isn't visible at this point, he fires on Bunker #1 even if apparently empty, just to be safe.


[Private to GM: Rae, if the bunkers are sandbagged, he will fire HE, if they rea reinforced with logs/tree trunks, concrete, etc., he will switch to HEDP. Also, any names for the ORMO with him? Thanks!]

This message was last edited by the player at 13:06, Tue 13 May 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 384 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 13 May 2008
at 18:38
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer hears the radio call for the fire support from the Krolowa. Halting the group a short distance from the Sando skirmish line, he gives a quick look over to check on Stoner. Yelling to his companions to his sides to fill them in, "Fire mission requested."

Lying prone he scans the area ahead, searching for the bunkers the Sando militia wanted suppressed. "Bunker line to the front! Fire mission on the bunkers. Anyone have a shot... give them some fire."

Compared to the firepower of the Krolowa, the shore party wouldn't add much. However, Tucker's 40mm or a lucky rifle shot just might help the Sando militia a little. They still were not committed, but it'd also give the men some action, which he assumed they wanted.
Tucker looks up from his position near Konrad and yells out to him, "ROGER THAT!  ENGAGING BUNKER NOW!"  Tucker takes aim with his M-203 at the closest enemy bunker that is giving the militia trouble and then fires a HE round.

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Aiming and firing [1] HE round at closest hostile bunker
Konrad Bayer
 player, 637 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 14 May 2008
at 06:02
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Bayer, still prone, and observing the bunkers to the front, watches the impact from the Krolowa's mortar and Tuck's own 40mm addition. After the targets become obscured by dust and smoke, he looks back towards Stoner and ensures he is ok.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 176 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 14 May 2008
at 06:33
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Griet remained behind her gunshield and scanned her quadrent for any threats she could deal with.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 191 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 14 May 2008
at 07:21
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Jason continues to watch te battle unfold, unable to do anything but pray.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 702 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 15 May 2008
at 00:26
A Surprise Contribution

Chopper, squating over the Mk-19 on the fantail aft, gives a wry, polite half-smile to the militiamen stationed nearby. He slips a cigarette from its crushed package and flips it into his mouth, igniting it with a tarnished, marine corps logoed, zippo lighter. He takes a long drag and smiles again, this time more broadly, as the smoke trickles out from between his stained teeth. The closest militiamen frowns and looks away towards the west bank, his companion ignores Chopper, focussed instead on the battle picking up in intensity on the eastern shore.

Chopper half coughs, half laughs, takes another long pull on the cigarette and then stubs it out against the cold metal of the deck. He slips a grenade out of his pocket and pulls the pin, holding down the spoon with his left hand. Standing, he draws his Colt .45 with his free hand, cocks the hammer, points it at the back of the starboard side militiaman's head, and pulls the trigger. The man's head rocks forward, blood and bits of skull and brain matter exploding outward, and he pitches overboard. The port side militiaman, startled by the gunshot, turns around in time to see his companion's legs disappear over the tug's low side and the gaping maw of the American's .45 swing around to point directly at his face. Chopper pulls the trigger a second time and the second militiaman drops against the gunwhale, leaving a bloody mist to settle on the deck just aft of where he'd been kneeling a second before.

Chopper, almost nonchallantly, turns towards the quarterdeck, hefting the live grenade in his left hand, a mischevious grin spreading across his unshaven face.

Forward, Dawid's instints prove correct. He and Minh spot movement along shore where the intel suggested a recoiless rifle was located. Dawid lays the barrel of the Vasilek on the spot and fires a single HE round. It explodes right on target, sending a long, metal tube- presumably the 107mm recoiless rifle- cartwheeling 20 meters into the grey sky and udoubtedly killing its crew. Meanwhile, on his own innitiative, Clarence noisily puts 50 rounds of 12.7mm into and around the suspicious HMG bunker. A few small arms rounds crack past the forward half of the tug. The odd muzzle flash can be seen from the roofs of one of the riverside buildings.

Meanwhile, on shore, the ragged militia attack continues. The attackers rely heavily on the BMPs, following in their tracks and waiting until their 73mm shells have silenced enemy firing positions before advancing further.  The BMPs soon expend all of their cannon shells but continue to contribute to the fight by raking the buidlings with coaxial MG fire from a distance. An RPG races smoking from the roof of one of the buildings to smite the closest IFV but misses, causing much smoke and noise but little damage. A second barrage of militia HE 82mm mortar shells falls on to and around the nearest buildings and this seems to hearten the attackers. Encouraged by their NCOs they rise in groups of four and five and rush towards the enemy held buildings, supported by RPK and PKM fire.

On the road, the BTR advances to contact, its heavy machine gun barking out in anger. It creeps forward in fits and starts, followed by a gaggle of infantry, until a massive blast halts its advance. A large directional mine of some sort has disabled the APC, and the dazed crew attempt to evacuate it as enemy small arms fire opens up from ahead. Tucker, Konrad, Mariusz, and Stoner- in the process of stablizing his second "patient"- can see all of this from a distance but are still far enough beyond the battle line to be relatively safe from direct fire. The advance along the road, however, has stalled.

OOC: Note- the enemy bunker and retreating squad were and continue to be out of range of Tucker's M203.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:31, Fri 23 May 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 638 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 15 May 2008
at 01:29
Bogged Down
Konrad yells over to Mariusz, "How good are you with that thing?" refering to the scoped rifled. "Can be a sharpshooter ja?"

After a reply from the young Pole, Bayer toggles his radio, "Starlight, this is Sunray, message. Heavy resistance, enemy ist holding the buildings. Can you bring the tug closer and provide full... full fire support?" Figuring the tug had its own perspective from where they were located, he waiting for Soleblume's own assesment.
Minh Quyen
 player, 215 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 15 May 2008
at 01:55
Re: Bogged Down
"Hit! That hit! Quyen yells. Locking her attention onto the third bunker she lines up the reticle pattern in the field glasses. Estimating the range she again yells to Dawid, "Bunker three! Range! XXX meters!"

The massive explosion which disabled the BTR catches her attention. Looking over she says, "Oh shit! Dawid that BTR just got messed up bad. You see that!" Not in a position to see clearly, she hoped it was a mine, and not a heavy gun of some sort (like a tank).

She turns back to observe the next mortar salvo to make corrections if necessary.

Quyen
Vasilek #2
Ak74 (28 Rounds)
Gauging Target Distance with Binos

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 228 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 15 May 2008
at 19:08
Re: Bogged Down
Mariusz heard Bayer's question and decided that honesty was the best policy. The man needed to know his best abilities if he was to effectively plan, "I've only fired it twice and missed both times. I can probably keep someone's head down but I'm not likely to actually hurt anyone at this range. What would you like me to do?"

Mariusz
Lying prone on overwatch
G3 20/20

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 87 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 15 May 2008
at 21:12
Re: Bogged Down
While in the process of treating the wounded man, Dave takes whatever weapon the man was carrying (or has nearby) and slings it across his back. Dave's own AK with grenade launcher is lying on the ground close at hand. As he's treating the man, he removes whatever load bearing equipment and tosses it over his shoulder towards Konrad.

Stoner
On shore helping militia wounded
AK-74, 6 full mags
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 illum
Aid bag

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 385 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 15 May 2008
at 23:26
Re: Bogged Down
Tucker checks the ranges on his target(s) and yells to Bayer, "GOT NO SHOTS KONRAD!  YOU GOT SECONDARIES FOR ME OR YOU WANT ME TO COVER STONER?"

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
With Konrad and Mariusz
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 713 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 16 May 2008
at 12:53
Forward Gun Position
Minh Quyen:
"Hit! That hit! Quyen yells. Locking her attention onto the third bunker she lines up the reticle pattern in the field glasses. Estimating the range she again yells to Dawid, "Bunker three! Range! XXX meters!"

The massive explosion which disabled the BTR catches her attention. Looking over she says, "Oh shit! Dawid that BTR just got messed up bad. You see that!" Not in a position to see clearly, she hoped it was a mine, and not a heavy gun of some sort (like a tank).


Dawid nodded in satisfaction.

"Thank you, your assistance is appreciated!"

When the BTR hit the mine he didn't flinch. The sharp report echoed off the far river bank and a cloud of dust and debris rose in the air.

"Not an anti-armour mine. If it was, the BTR would have flipped over from the force. It is regrettable, but many should survive. The wrong mine in the right spot is an indication they weren't prepared properly..."


He cocked his head, something wasn't right. [Private to Cap'n Rae: Can I make an Observation roll to realise that a couple of nearby pistol shots would be out of place under the circumstances? The preceding text was kept vague; if he misses the roll, then he dismisses the anomaly. Still, he may not understand the significance of the shot, although he is aware that the ORMO could try and seize the ship by force.]

82mm Vasilek (4/5 HE, 5 HE + 5 HEDP)
Aiming to conduct Opportunity Fire on any threats.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:43, Fri 16 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 177 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 16 May 2008
at 16:54
Port PKMG
Griet flinched at the report of heavy explosions. She kept scanning the upcoming buildings. Her gun was useless against the emplacements but might be able to suppress snipers and RPG teams by sheer weight of fire should they appear.

Griet
PKMG 195/200
Overwatch

Jason Kasparov
 player, 193 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 17 May 2008
at 06:41
Re: Port PKMG
"Fuck me." With the battle raging along the shore Jason almost missed the shots from Choppers weapon. Acting on reaction, he grabs his AK-74 and fires a full clip at the deranged man.

"WE HAVE AN ISSUE HERE PEOPLE!"

Jason Kasparov
AK-74
Firing at Chopper
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 597 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sat 17 May 2008
at 12:48
Re: Port PKMG
Jasons shouted warning snapped Anneka's attention from the battlefield. Although her field of view was somewhat limited by the bridge forward of her position, she'd still been able to see enough to get a feel for how the attack was progressing. What she hadn't been able to see was a decent target for the AGS she'd assigned herself to.

Noting with a stab of terror Jason emptying burst after burst from his rifle into the aft deck area, her fears of the ORMO turning on them seemed confirmed. Letting the grips of the AGS go, she grabbed the British light machinegun and a couple of mags located just a step away. as she stuffed the mags into her webbing pouch, her feet were already carrying her towards Milk and a clear view of local events....

Anneka
Grabbing L86 LSW and 2 spare mags
Moving to aft DShK position for better view
HP-35 + 3 mags
L86 + 2 mags

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 704 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 17 May 2008
at 21:24
Mutiny

By the time Jason picks up his AK and opens fire, Chopper has hurled his grenade. It slips between the overhead tarp and the sandbagged wall ringing the quarterdeck and clangs off of the deck. Switek reacts instinctively, throwing himself on to the grenade a second before it detonates, lifting his shrapnel-riddled body several inches off of the deck. Switek lands limply a meter off, smoke curling out from under his twitching form.

Jason and Anneka are both spared harm but the momentary anticipation of a certain maiming coupled with the shock of the blast both capture their complete attention and cause them to instinctively seek cover. Jason is fairly certain that at least part of his long, interupted burst caught Chopper but he can't be entirely sure. We he looks over the sandbags at the poop, Chopper is gone but he does notice a few drops of blood leading towards the quarterdeck to skirt it on the port side. Anneka lifts herself off of the deck, her left arm aching badly.

[Private to Jason Kasparov: Jason fired 15 rounds (quick shot) and then instinctively ducked as the grenade exploded. He hit Chopper at least once.]

Forward, Dawid and the others are oblivious to what is transpiring just a couple of dozen meters behind them. The sound of Clarence's Dushka raking the shore, coupled with the intensifying incoming fire drowns out the pair of pistol shots and the flesh-muffled crump of the exploding grenade well aft.

[Private to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski: I rolled a 1 for a formidable observation check to see if Dawid detected the gunshots.]

The tug pulls even with the recently abandoned the BTR which, aside from 3 deflated and smoldering tires on its right side, appears largely undamaged. Fire lashes out from a large building bordering both the road into town and the river running alongside it. About half of the fire is directed at the militia troops pinned down near the BTR while the other half reaches hopefully towards the tug. The furthest riverside bunker comes to life, a huge, strobing muzzle flash announcing its intent as HMG tracers begin to pass just wide of the Krolowa's bow. Griet notices movement atop the riverside warehouse where she remembers seeing an AGS-17 as the tug cruised past the town the day before.

Konrad, Tucker, Mariuz, and Stoner are still 200m behind the BTR and roughly 500m from the first of the enemy positions but the incoming enemy fire is intensifying and an occasional, nearly spent round zips overhead, plows tiny furrows in the damp earth, or zings off of the pavement nearby.

Off to the left, it appears the militia has gained a foothold in the outermost buildings. Intense fire from that direction indicates the IPAT defenders are still holding fast.

OOC: There are targets for the tug in the corner building (firing at the militia on the road and the Krolowa with MGs and small arms), atop the warehouse (AGS-17), and the third riverside bunker (Dushka or KPV).

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:31, Sat 17 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 178 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 17 May 2008
at 22:10
Port PKMG
As Griet saw the movement on top of the warehouse, she brought the machinegun to bear on it. If she remembered correctly,there was an AGS-17 up there. 30mm grenade rounds could really ruin their day.

She settled the gun's sights and pulled the trigger, playing the rounds over the position in the hope of hitting a gunner or at the very least keeping them pinned.

Griet
PKMG 195/200
5 bursts at the Palyma

Konrad Bayer
 player, 639 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 18 May 2008
at 05:06
Shore
No response, he thinks after a moment while the tug sails by. "Group!" Bayer yells to his companions, "Prepare to move up to the BTR! Same tactical movements. Remember, we are here to collect spoils of war! Keep your eyes open."

After giving the others a few seconds, he nods over to Mariusz for them to go. Using the same field movements, he intends to advance the group up to the BTR and then hold.
Minh Quyen
 player, 217 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 18 May 2008
at 06:39
Re: Shore
Quyen collects the long RPK-74 and places its bipod on the Vasilek's protective sandbag wall. Choosing the nearest target she can see, she fires 5 quick rounds on semi-automatic. She will repeat this for a further 5 semi-auto shots before reevaluating her target options.

Quyen
Mortar Postion
RPK-74 (bipod in use)
Firing 5 single shots at the closest target she is aware of. Then repeat.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 230 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 18 May 2008
at 09:27
Re: Shore
Mariusz saw Bayer's command and got up like a jack-rabbit breaking from cover. He jinked across the ground in a low crouch and found a useful hollow to finish his run in. As soon as he hit the dirt, he covered the others.

Once they were all in position, Mariusz started the manouvre again.

Mariusz
G3 20/20
Pepperpotting toward the BTR

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 89 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 18 May 2008
at 12:09
Re: Shore
Dave pats the man he just patched up on the shoulder and says "You'll be fine" sucker he thinks to himself.
He takes up his weapon and moves forward in turn with the others, the AK he picked up banging against his back.

Stoner
On shore helping militia wounded
AK-74, 6 full mags
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 illum
Aid bag

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 598 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 18 May 2008
at 13:17
Re: Shore
Damn it! Anneka thought to herself, fury competing with rage for dominance.
"Milk. Jason," she yelled, so fiercely she thought her lungs would burst.
"Clear the aft deck!" With only the three of them still standing, as far as she knew, the forward half of the tug would have to fend for itself for a while.
Barely having taken a step that way herself before the grenade detonated, she released the LSW and changed direction.
"You damn fool!" she admonished Stan as she closed the distance, already knowing he was beyond help.

Anneka
HP-35 + 3 mags
Dropping LSW, issuing orders and moving to assist the probably dead Stan

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 715 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 19 May 2008
at 04:30
Forward Gun Position
Over the noise of the battle, Dawid heard the shooting and the bang from the rear of the tug. Obviously, they were engaging the enemy back there and somehow a rocket-propelled grenade connected.

As Minh flopped down and started shooting at the warehouse, Dawid re-trained the Vasilek with the help of the ORMO.

"Minh! Range the warehouse building for me!"

Firing at troops on a building was always difficult, especially ones inside the middle floors of a reinforced concrete structure. When fired direct, the shells on a flat trajectory could simply blow out the warehouse wall underneath the shooters, as it was probably unreinforced brick, metal or cinder block. Luckily, the mortar had a high ballistic trajectory and he could let the shells land on the roof where the fire was coming from. (The 120mm mortar had a special "anti-building" round that had been used to good effect against concrete blocks of flats in Beirut,) The enemy here seemed out in open on the rooftop, which made sense as it was a warehouse.

He decided the 82mm fragmentation rounds were a little small to effieciently destroy the warehouse walls and collapse the roof, even if they were unreinforced brick or concrete. When he got the range from Minh he would try to land a round on the roof itself. In the mean time he prayed they grenade launcher didn't take him out first.

82mm Vasilek (4/5 HE + 5 HE, 5 HEDP)
Firing indirect: 1 round at the roof, indirect and self-spotted, correct as necessary and fire again.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:58, Mon 19 May 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 387 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 19 May 2008
at 05:14
Re: Shore
Konrad Bayer:
No response, he thinks after a moment while the tug sails by. "Group!" Bayer yells to his companions, "Prepare to move up to the BTR! Same tactical movements. Remember, we are here to collect spoils of war! Keep your eyes open."

After giving the others a few seconds, he nods over to Mariusz for them to go. Using the same field movements, he intends to advance the group up to the BTR and then hold.
Tucker again catches Bayer's call to get his attention.  He moves over to where he has to hear him yell without getting any pot-shots taken at him.  "Understood Konrad.  You want me to wait for Stoner or we going to leave him to tend the wounded?  I'll get him or stay with him if you want!  I don't think we should be movin' to far ahead without him though."

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 {HE]
Waiting to see if they're moving without Stoner.  If so, same tactical movement with Tucker covering first and then moving up to Bayer & Mariusz

Konrad Bayer
 player, 640 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 19 May 2008
at 06:12
Re: Shore
Before moving forward, Bayer yells a reply to Tucker, "He comes! They've got their own medics! You two alternate cover and movement with Mariusz and myself!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 388 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 19 May 2008
at 12:55
Re: Shore
Konrad Bayer:
Before moving forward, Bayer yells a reply to Tucker, "He comes! They've got their own medics! You two alternate cover and movement with Mariusz and myself!"
Tucker gets himslef up to a low crouch and yells back to Konrad, "You got it boss, I'm on it!  We'll see you there in a few."

Tucker gets himself moving to get Stoner when Konrad and Mariusz move up.  When he gets over to where Stoner is he gets down in another low crouch and tells Stoner, "Yo Stoney!  Boss says we're moving up!  You're coming with me.  Finish this last one up and lets get the fuck outta here!"

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Moving to get Stoner and then (eventually) catching up with Konrad and Mariusz

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 90 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 19 May 2008
at 21:08
Re: Shore
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker gets himself moving to get Stoner when Konrad and Mariusz move up.  When he gets over to where Stoner is he gets down in another low crouch and tells Stoner, <DarkGreen>"Yo Stoney!  Boss says we're moving up!  You're coming with me.  Finish this last one up and lets get the fuck outta here!"


He's done! Let's go kill some Commies! Dave replies with an evil twinkle in his eyes. I've been holding off doing any serious looting, seeing how these guys are supposed to be friendly.

Dave
AK-74, 6 loaded
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Advancing

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 705 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 20 May 2008
at 01:58
Punch and Counter Punch

The ground team bounds forward nearly two-hundred meters under heavy but un-aimed enemy fire and piles into the shelter of the lee of the abandoned BTR. Small arms rounds ricochet off of the vehicle with alarming frequency. The four-man element is now at the tip of the spear, among the militiamen pinned down on the axis of attack running along the road. Considering the increased noise of the incoming fire and the angle to main attack axis further east, it is almost impossible to guage the progress (or lack thereof) of the militia's main effort. The shadow of the BTR's bulk will shield them from most of the IPATs fire, but leaving the rear of the vehicle now will be a perilous undertaking, to say the least.

OOC: PCs may attempt to enter and/or operate the BTR if they so desire.

Anneka shifts the twitching Switek, firmly grasping his right arm and partially lifting the dead weight of his torso on to his left side. His chest and upper belly are dripping with gore, a wound too large and indistinct to easily assess what to treat first. The hard truth is painfully and immediately apparent. Switek, if still alive, will survive for only a few minutes more, regardless of any treatment Anneka may be able to offer. His last act, if foolish, undoubtedly saved Anneka and Jason from a similar fate.

Jason [NPCed for this round] is stunned into temporary innactivity. Half of his mind is simply overwhelmed with surprise and delight at being alive and whole; the other half is clumsily trying to juggle the tasks of making sense of what has happened over the last half-minute and plotting a rational course of action for the next half.

The corner warehouse attracts fire from Minh, who, despite the range, manages to hit one of the IPAT defenders with one of her five carefully aimed shots, knocking his old, Soviet steel pot helmet off of his newly ventilated cranium. This fortunate hit- and several near misses pockmarking the bare cement facade nearby- has the added effect of diminishing the volume and accuracy of his companions' fire. Griet and Milk blaze away at the suspected AGS position, tearing great chunks out of parapet lining the rooftop and completely suppressing any fire that the position may have been preparing to unleash. All the while, Dawid cranks the barrel of the Vasilek skyward, awaiting a range report from Minh.

Clarence catches sight of movement on his left periphery and instinctively turns his head part way to assess the situation. Chopper, deathly pale, bloody left arm hanging limply at his side, steps grinning from the port stairs on to the companionway, levelling his Colt .45 at Clarence's face. The first shot brushes past Clarence's left cheek as he instinctively raises his hands in a foolishly hopeful attempt to shield the more vital body parts from the impact of the heavy, supersonic lead slug. Chopper's second wayward shot rings off of the superstructure centimeters away from Clarence's ducking head and the Green Beret hurls himself foward at the rogue engineman's midsection. Chopper, light-headed from blood loss coupled with the exertion of his short climb up the stairs, is unable to avoid the tackle and he is knocked off his feet backwards down the stairs. He bounces once hard off the metal stairs and lands heavily on the deck, the .45 flung from his hand.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:06, Tue 20 May 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 218 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 20 May 2008
at 03:07
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
Quyen sees one of her targets drop and (by glancing at the weapon sight's range) estimates the distance to the building. Her hit confirmed the set range on the RPK so she figured it was the best way to judge for Dawid. Quyen yells over her shoulder to him, "Target! Range XXX meters."

As Dawid hasn't called for a reload or other crew required drills, she continues to provide small arms fire. Selecting another target she fires another five rounds of quick semi-automatic fire.

Minh Quyen
Mortar Postion
RPK-74 (bipod in use)
Firing 5 single shots

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 599 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 20 May 2008
at 03:09
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
"I'm sorry."
Words were all she could do for the monk now, but what was happening round her didn't allow time for even many of them.
Allowing Stan to roll back, she stood and drew the pistol she'd being carrying almost since she'd been injured days before. A few steps later and the twin shapes of Milk and Hicks came into veiw, rolling about on the deck.
Stunned at the realisation that it wasn't a betrayal by the ORMO but from within, she hesitated, holding the sights firmly in position on Hick's bloodied face.
How could the American they'd taken in turn on them? In hindsight the signs had been there, his story seemed too much like an old movie to be truthful, but they'd all simply given him the benefit of the doubt.

Anneka
Aiming HP-35 at Hicks
Firing the moment she has a clear shot
HP-35 + 3 mags

Jason Kasparov
 player, 194 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 20 May 2008
at 09:36
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
Stunned, Jason stumbles across the deck. He drags his weapon behind him. "Stanislaw" he mutters as he heads to the fallen Pole. "First Bear now Stan."

He drops to his knees beside the dead man. "I'm sorry. If only I was faster."

Grabbing his shelter tarp, he wraps te fallen warrior in the shroud.

Jason Kasparov
in shock
(ooc comp issues, sorry)
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 716 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 20 May 2008
at 15:14
Vasilek
Satisfied at the angle for the range, Dawid said, "firing!" and pulled the firing handle, correcting and firing again as needed.

82mm Vasilek (4/5 HE, 5 HE + 5 HEDP)
Firing 1 round, then self-spotting to correct.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:15, Tue 20 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 179 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 20 May 2008
at 18:08
Port PKMG
Griet saw Dawid begin to fire the mortar at the AGS position but kept firing regardless. She intended to try to keep the enemies' heads down until death rained in on them. She adjusted her aim slightly and continued to fire at the AGS position on full automatic.

Griet
PKMG 170/200
Full Auto

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 231 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 20 May 2008
at 18:11
Behind the BTR
Mariusz yelled to Bayer over the heavy incoming fire, "Do you want me to go in and man the turret? I can put down suppresive fire better than I can snipe."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 389 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 20 May 2008
at 18:16
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
Cap'n Rae:
The ground team bounds forward nearly two-hundred meters under heavy but un-aimed enemy fire and piles into the shelter of the lee of the abandoned BTR. Small arms rounds ricochet off of the vehicle with alarming frequency. The four-man element is now at the tip of the spear, among the militiamen pinned down on the axis of attack running along the road. Considering the increased noise of the incoming fire and the angle to main attack axis further east, it is almost impossible to guage the progress (or lack thereof) of the militia's main effort. The shadow of the BTR's bulk will shield them from most of the IPATs fire, but leaving the rear of the vehicle now will be a perilous undertaking, to say the least.

OOC: PCs may attempt to enter and/or operate the BTR if they so desire.
After getting Stoner from his medical duties, Tucker and him duck, dodge, & weave through the gunfire to finally make it up to Konrad and Mariusz at the damaged BTR.  Sliding in next to or near those two, Tucker finds himself what cover he can and looks around to see that they are within the ranks of the militiamen they came in with.  Turning to Konrad and saying, "You gotta be shittin' me!  Where the fuck is their C/O?  So much for being observers huh?"

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Taking cover behind damaged BTR
Konrad Bayer
 player, 641 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 21 May 2008
at 02:11
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
Bayer, squatting with his back against the BTR hull, nods and yells a reply to Mariusz, "Ja! Go!" Tucker's words swirl through his mind. The last thing he wanted was for the team to get more involved in this war than was necessary. They were only in it to gain gear and make "friends".

Clicking his radio he calls up Anneka, "Starlight, Sunray. Attack has stalled. Send sitrep. Over." Then leaning over to Stoner and Tucker, he says quickly, "Keep low, but if you have a shot take it."

OOC - GM, could you give a brief description of the friendly militia near the BTR? Numbers, actions, and such?

This message was last edited by the player at 02:13, Wed 21 May 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 390 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 21 May 2008
at 02:49
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
Tucker looks at Bayer and answers him, "OK boss!  What's the deal with this hunk a shit we're usin' as cover?  Any chance of gettin' her goin' again?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 642 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 21 May 2008
at 03:18
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
Bayer glanced down at the wheels. Some wheeled APCs could run no problem on deflated tires, but he guessed this one must have took enough damage to warrant its abandonment. "Doubt it. You know how to try? If so, go ahead."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 232 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 21 May 2008
at 15:53
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
Mariusz nodded to Bayer in acknowledgement of his agreement and crawled in through the open rear door of the APC. He slitted his eyes against the smoke and coughed at the fumes but moved on in to assess if the turret and machinegun were viable as weapons. He decided that if they were, he'd get into the gunner's seat and look for targets.

Mariusz
G3 20/20
Inside the BTR
Inspecting the turret and getting into the gunner's seat if appropriate.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 91 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 21 May 2008
at 21:11
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
Dave watches Mariuz crawl into the trashed APC. He shakes his head and asks Tucker " We really want him in there? It's a big target, and it's been hit once."

Stoner
AK-74, 6 magazines
BG-15, 6 HE rounds, 1 Illum
Aid bag

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 707 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 22 May 2008
at 03:07
Lady Luck Smiles

The teenaged Mariusz, lacking the developmental cognitive maturity that enables most adults to envision the possible negative consequences of certain actions, makes a mad dash for the open side hatch of the disabled BTR. Miraculously, he makes it unscathed, diving head-first into the metal husk. The interior of the BTR stinks sickeningly of stale body odor, cordite, and hot oil but a quick one-over reveals nothing in the way of significant battle damage. Mariusz, chuffed at his alacrity and good fortune, begins to wiggle his way into the vehicle's HMG turret*.

Konrad, Tucker, and Stoner are relieved to catch a glimpse of the boy disappearing into the BTR. The incoming fire picks up in intensity for a few seconds as the IPAT defenders react to the sight of a target out in the open. About two dozen Sandomierz militia hug the earth, split unevenly on either side of the road (more men occupy the left or inland side). One man lies face up in the drainage ditch to the left, quite obviously dead. The group appears rather disheartened at the moment and only one or two of them even attempt to return fire, and that employing the equally hopeful and wasteful "spray-and-pray" method. The IPAT are in and around a building between road and river between 100 and 200 meters to the southwest.

Back on board the Krolowa, Dawid doesn't have time to spot the fall of his high, arcing shot at the roof of the corner** building. Just a meter or so to Dawid's right, the militiaman loader's head literally explodes and 12.7mm rounds impact all around them both, shredding the starboard sandbags and penetrating through to the steel-plate gunshield blessedly installed just hours before by the recently departed Snowy. David, spattered in a gritty-sticky mix of sand, bits of skull, blood, and brain matter ducks down almost into the open ammo hatch to avoid the incoming fire. Minh too is sprayed with sand and gore and she slides down the sandbagged wall to the deck below the gunwhale. The second militia loader cowers nearby. The far shore bunker has found the range and is hammering all around the Vasilek postion with heavy and accurate fire***.

Above, Griet continues to suppress the suspected enemy AGS position. She just notices the sudden silence of Clarence's port Dushka as the Vasilek barbette below her is steadily chewed apart by HMG rounds.

Several meters aft, Anneka steadies the sights of her Browing 9mm on the slowly moving form of Chopper. With considerable difficulty, he attempts to climb to his knees, but a well placed double-tap puts him down with bullet wounds to his left leg and lower back. Clarence, at the top of the ladder draws his own .45 and points it at the crumpled, bloody figure of the apparently mad Chopper below, lying on his left side, hands scrabbing over his belly.

Jason, shocked by what has just transpired stays with Switek on the bloody quarterdeck. His recent friend and leader dies without a word. True to his character, the fighting monk gave up his life for those of his comrades. Although his status as a Polish partisan leader working for a contestant in the scramble for the rulership of a foreign occupier makes the matter of jurisdiction a tangled mess, if the proper and legitimate authority could rightly be determined, he would certainly deserve its highest medal for bravery.

Actions?

* The BTR doesn't have a rear hatch but I gave Mariusz the benefit of the doubt. He will find the HMG turret operational. There are about 50 rounds of ready ammo for it. The vehicle may be able to run since it is growing increasingly likely that the crew bailed out primarily due to the shock of the blast caused by the IPAT IED.

**I wasn't entirely sure which buidling Dawid was aiming at- the corner building troubling both the BTR and the Krolowa, or the warehouse adjacent and a little futher upstream. Either way, he rolled a hit, although, since otherwise occupied, no one actually saw it.

***Since I forgot about the bunker in my last turn, I made sure Dawid and Minh were unharmed by the enemy HMG volley. I hope this coincides with everyone's idea of fairness.

Also, lest anyone think Milk received the benefit of favortism in the encounter with Chopper, check the die roller. His luck is legit.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 643 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 22 May 2008
at 08:46
Re: Lady Luck Smiles
Bayer is still squatting with his back to the BTR's hull. Glancing down to either side of him, he can see the damage was mostly taken by the wheels. He then looks at the state of the militia. He remembers his company commander's training... when his former CO drove into him the concept - any action is better than no action. Make a decision. Whether it is good or poor it will always be better than doing nothing.

"Tucker!" Bayer calls over the crack of gunfire. "I want to move this thing forward. I want to squeeze as many militia behind it as possible as moving cover. If we have to, shuttle back and forth. We stay here and people are going to get picked off one by one. We need to get these people moving... attack attack attack. Get close enough to assault the buildings and clear them out."

Making eye contact he asks, "Can you drive for me?"

After Tucker's reply, he calls into his radio again, "Tug, this is Sunray. Assault has bogged down. Send sitrep. I am not reading you. Over!"

Bayer
G36/HK69 (20 rounds/1HE)
Squatting behind BTR
Communicating

Jason Kasparov
 player, 195 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 22 May 2008
at 09:11
Re: Lady Luck Smiles
"No, not Minh too." As the volleys pound the mortar crew, Jason comes to his senses. Racing to her position, he stops short, as the bullets whiz ahead of him.

"Minh, Dawid, are you ok?" he yells from behind the bulkhead.
Minh Quyen
 player, 219 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 22 May 2008
at 15:45
Re: Lady Luck Smiles
Jason Kasparov:
"Minh, Dawid, are you ok?" he yells from behind the bulkhead.


Hunkered down behind the sandbagged protection (the RPK-74 left resting on its bipod on the wall), Quyen calls back, "No Jason. No I'm not." Then glacing at her body to inspect if any of the blood is hers or Dawids calls again, "No. I'm scared. I almost died. Its not safe here." Despite he admittance to fear, he voice sounds otherwise, more of a matter-of-fact tone. Relieved that she and Dawid aren't injured she says to him, "This is intense."

Yelling back over her shoulder, "Jason, better not come up here. Its pretty bad. Why aren't the gunners hitting that position? We need help."

Without exposing herself the slightest, she looks upwards and listens. If it seems the volley is done for now against the mortar she prepares to get back up and into the fight.

Quyen
RPK-74 close by
Behind Mortar sandbags
Forced to take cover/getting ready to shoot again

This message was last edited by the player at 15:46, Thu 22 May 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 92 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 22 May 2008
at 16:23
On the attack
Stoner watches the stalled attacker half hearted return fire and shakes his head in disgust. "Hey", he yells at Konrad & Tucker over the incoming fire. "Wasn't there supposed to be a green beanie leading this clusterfuck? Send a girl scout to do a man's job."

He leans out from behind cover and fires a HE grenade at the IPAT members clustered around the building. Then he rolls back behind the cover and reloads his weapon.

Dave
AK-74, 6 loaded
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Firing  HE round
Konrad Bayer
 player, 644 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 22 May 2008
at 16:37
Re: On the attack
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
</Blue>he yells at Konrad & Tucker over the incoming fire. "Wasn't there supposed to be a green beanie leading this clusterfuck?"


Shaking his head he calls back, "Ja. He may be stuck with another platoon. Or maybe he is dead. We do this... and maybe we can get through this in one piece... and with a higher degree of respect with the Sando commandant."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 718 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 22 May 2008
at 17:01
Bow Weapons' Position
Dawid lay in the hold on the body of one of the ORMO loaders, cursing his stupidity. The other helped him up.

He knew that that bunker could be waiting to catch them off guard. He'd thought of putting a shell into it just in case, and decided against it. Now he was away from the Vasilek, and didn't even have his Tantal/BG-15.

Standing up he yelled out the hatch, "Jason, I'm fine... but pinned down! Someone use a grenade or rocket on that damned bunker!"

There wasn't much he could do for Minh or anyone down here.

Stechkin (21/21)
[OOC: For the sake of clarity, the ORMO who was in the hold handing up ammo is okay, but the other guy dramatically fell into the hold after being shot.]
[Private to Cap'n Rae: It's all good, for some reason I was thinking the fire came from the warehouse but was wrong. Thanks for knowing what I meant! Hey, we took our eyes off the bunker. Dawid could have blasted it, but didn't, so that's the way it goes.]

This message was last edited by the player at 19:16, Fri 23 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 180 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 22 May 2008
at 18:34
Port PKMG
Griet began to realise that she was about the only one still firing on the boat. The HMG was chewing up the forward position but if she switched from suppressing the AGS she risked that opening up. She frowned and kept raining lead onto the AGS position, she yelled, "More fire! More fire!"

Griet
PKMG 150/200
Suppressive bursts on the AGS position

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 233 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 22 May 2008
at 18:38
BTR Turret
Mariusz smiled to himself. A really big gun ready to shoot with. He scanned the enemy positions for a good first target. He looked particularly for machineguns or other support weapons to recieve the first of his largess.

Mariusz
KPV 50/50
Searching for targets


[Private to Cap'n Rae: I'm figuring at least this much delay before Mariusz can start shooting. Let me know what he spots, I'm looking forward to shooting the BFG but I don't want it to be unrealistic after getting away with the rear door gaff, stupid Russians, all APCs have back doors it's common sense, grumble ...]
Jason Kasparov
 player, 196 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 22 May 2008
at 21:37
Re:
"Don't move!" Jason yells. Sprinting across the deck he runs for the DUSHKA, ready to fire upon the bunker. Staying low, his helmet strapped tight to his head, he throws himself at the weapon, praying he won't die and save his friends, before he is cut down.

Jason Kasparov
Kevlar armor and helmet
Racing to the Dushka
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 143 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Thu 22 May 2008
at 23:32
Port Companionway

As Clarence keeps his .45 trained on Chopper from the top of the stairs, he can't fail to notice the sound of the enemy's incoming HMG fire striking just forward. With his own HMG silent, the amount of suppressive fire that the Krolowa is able to produce is cut by nearly a third. The maths are quite clear.

"Major, you got this crazy son-of-a-bitch?"

If Soleblume responds to the affirmative, Clarence will return to the port Dushka and engage the far bunker in an attempt to silence its fire.

Clarence Milk
H&K SOCOM .45 cal pistol, 12/12
Covering the wounded Chopper; ready to return to his battle station

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 604 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 23 May 2008
at 04:44
Upper Aft Deck
How did she get here, Anneka wondered? Aiming a smoking pistol directly at the head of somebody she'd considered a comrade, if not actual friend, until just a minute or two before. How was it that a medical officer originally from Israel had just shot an American sailor twice while on a tugboat in the middle of Poland?

Had the world gone completely mad?

Why was it that she was now faced with firing several more shots into the wounded man in an effort to prevent further bloodshed? Wasn't she supposed to be trying to say everyones lives? Had her morals and sense of right and wrong truely been twisted so far by the horrors of a world encompassing nuclear war?

It must be so, she thought as the trigger was smoothly squeezed once more.
Considered a reasonably good shot amongst her peers, it was next to impossible to miss Hicks head as he lay badly wounded upon the deck. Anneka felt no remorse as the lead and steel slug tore through skin, muscle and bone to pulverise the brain tissue within .

Hicks had chosen his path, probably long ago. Chances were he'd been working for Tarnobrzeg for a very long time, the Russian patrol boat just a plant to get him aboard. If they hadn't been so focused on the troubles with Corporal Yassie at the time, then they just might have been more cautious with taking him along, but now was not the time for "what ifs".

Wiping a drop of gore from her face where it had splattered, she answered Milks query emotionlessly.
"Yes, Sergeant Major. I've got him."

Anneka
Shooting Hicks
HP-35 (10) + 3 mags

[Private to GM: Assumed Hicks has been abandonned and death is too good for him.  ;)]
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 711 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 24 May 2008
at 00:06
A Shift in the Winds of War

Bones lobs a 40mm HE grenade towards the IPAT held building, ducking behind the relative safety of the APC's metal hindquarters before seeing it impact. The satisying CRUMP of its detonation, followed by a brief respite from incoming fire indicates that, at the very least, it has given the enemy defenders pause to think.

From the cramped confines of the BTR's turret, Mariusz peers through the gunner's tiny optic, searching for a target. He spies a persistent muzzle flash- probably an enemy GPMP- and cranks the turret traverse handle to bring the KPV to bear. Taking his time, he centers the weapon's cross-hairs on the flash and pulls the trigger. The target is blotted out by turret gun's huge starburst firing signature but when he releases the trigger, the enemy position is wreathed in smoke and dust and the muzzle flash has ceased.

As the ground team's innitiative seems to be paying dividends, Konrad senses a subtle shift in the mood over their little patch of battlefied. He assesses that this is an auspicious moment to rally the militia and mount an assault.*

Jason, having witnessed up-close the plight of his friends, backtracks, climbing the starboard stairs to the companionway and rushing, hunched over, past Griet, to the port side Dushka**. Milk, looking down the port steps with his back to the gun, swings around nervously and points his pistol at Kasparov. Seeing the aviator swing the Dushka upstream, he relaxes and, after a brief pause, holsters his pistol, relieved that the betrayal did not include others besides Chopper. Grabbing his AK, he slings it and moves forward, behind Kasparov and past Griet, to man the other PKM on the forward companionway.

Anneka keeps her sights on Chopper. He's still curled up in the fetal position; his hands have stopped moving and are both held against his abdomen. Awkwardly, he starts to crane his neck to look up and back but Anneka acts first, sending another 9mm slug into his upper back. He squirms for another couple of seconds and then his limbs go limp. A grenade rolls out from where he'd been clutching it against his belly. Anneka ducks behind the sandbags as it detonates with a bang. When she looks back over the parapet, Chopper is splayed grotesquely out against the port gunwhale, a slick of smeared and splattered blood radiating out from his shredded body. His last trick has been spoiled.

Dawid and Minh continue to shelter in place as the enemy HMG chews away at the Vasilek, tearing up sandbags and punching dents into the gunshield. Errant rounds impact all around, clanging off the hull, ricochetting off of the superstructure; one even hits the upraised barrel of the Vasilek.

Actions?

OOC: *Konrad passed a leadership skill check so at least several of the Sando militia will join in on an attack.

**Jason and Milk will both be able to fire next round.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:15, Sat 24 May 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 198 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 24 May 2008
at 00:23
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
Grasping the Dushka's trigger, Jason begins firing at the troublesome bunker, his eyes focused, using all the previous expierence he had developed firing the little darling.

"Minh, stay down! Dawid, you too. I'll clear this bunker." 



Jason Kasparov
Port Dushka
firing at the bunker
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 234 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 24 May 2008
at 10:52
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
Mariusz grinned to himself as the heavy machinegun chewed up the machine gun position. He looked at the belt and was aware that his enthusiastic burst had burned off about half of his ready ammunition. He traverssed the turret to search for more suitable targets, he thought it best to save the shots he had for big hits rather than waste them on targets that lesser guns could deal with. He hoped some of the others would mount up soon, maybe they could find him more ammo.

Mariusz
BTR
KPV 25/50
Scanning for more support weapons

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 181 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 24 May 2008
at 10:57
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
Griet felt the others getting into position around her, she was relieved by that but wondered what could have happened to distract them for so long. She'd find out if she survived the fight, if not? Well, the answer didn't matter much then. She continued to spray rounds at the AGS position, still worried about the damage that the rapid firing HE weapon could do to them if it had a chance to fire.

She also worried about the hovercraft, sure that their new nemesis would play a role in their lives again in the none to distant future.

Griet
Port PKMG 125/200
Suppressive fire on the AGS position.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 93 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 24 May 2008
at 13:12
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
Dave looks over at Konrad "What's the plan, mon Kapitan?" he asks. Before the German can answer, Stoner says "Hold that thought", and rolls out to fire another HE grenade at the IPAT defenders. He stays exposed just long enough to watch where the round lands, then rolls back behind the APC. He looks at Konrad and raises his eyebrows, "You were saying?"

Dave
Firing grenade launcher
AK-74, 6 magazines
BG-15, 4 HE, 1 Illum
Aid Bag

Konrad Bayer
 player, 645 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 24 May 2008
at 15:39
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Dave looks over at Konrad "What's the plan, mon Kapitan?" he asks. Before the German can answer, Stoner says "Hold that thought", and rolls out to fire another HE grenade at the IPAT defenders. He stays exposed just long enough to watch where the round lands, then rolls back behind the APC. He looks at Konrad and raises his eyebrows, "You were saying?"


"I want to get this thing moving!" he yells back to Stoner, hitting the hull with his fist. "I want Tucker* to drive! I am going to try to rally some of these men to follow behind, using the BTR as moving cover. We get them out of the open and up against the buildings where they have a chance at clearing them out in close combat. There isn't much room so he'll have to return to collect more men. Anything is better than staying here... I choose offensive action. We can't shoot it out in place."

*OOC - Tuck hasn't had a chance to reply yet but I am assuming he's got the skills to drive the BTR.

Mariusz's blast from the turret interrupts him, then, looking at the two men he yells, "Alright?" Pointing to a spot a few meters in front of the nearest Sando Militia, he says to the two men, "Throw a couple of smoke there."

Rising from his squatted position he waits for his companions to create the smoke cover and for the driver to get inside the BTR.

Once the smoke builds up, Bayer waves at the closest collection of Sando militia, "Up! Up! Get up!" he yells confidently with sharp chopping motions with his free hand to help illustrate his demands. Waving to the rear of the BTR he shouts orders at them, "Schnell! Bewegung schnell! Quickly! Here, behind the APC! NOW!" He's had to rally men in battle before, but unlike before, they are not German soldiers... men who knew and trusted him. These militia spoke another language and were being ordered by a German they've never seen before. He used every effort to sound confident - so that they could trust him to get them out of this alive.

OOC - This is probably too much for one action. I guess to make it work its Bayers action and intended action for next turn?

Bayer
G36/HK69
Behind BTR
Rally a section of militia to join him at the BTR

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 94 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 24 May 2008
at 23:25
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
"No smoke, Boss. Best I can give you is some 40 mike-mike HE. You want to take the land-side and I'll take the river-side*?"

Dave reloads his grenade launcher, but doesn't fire.

OOC *- refering to the groups clustered on opposite sides of the road.

Dave
Firing grenade launcher
AK-74, 6 magazines
BG-15, 4 HE, 1 Illum
Aid Bag

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 391 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 25 May 2008
at 04:10
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
"All right, all right!  I'll try and drive it.  You get everyone ready to move and I'll see what I can do!  Keep those fuckers off me so I can get in the APC," he says to Konrad and safes his M-16 as he gets ready to move into the damaged APC.

Tucker
Slung M-16A2/M-203
Getting ready to get into the APC and try and drive it...

OOC: Sorry for the delay...
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 719 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 25 May 2008
at 04:41
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
Jason Kasparov:

"Minh, stay down! Dawid, you too. I'll clear this bunker." 


Dawid looked at the ORMO, who shrugged, also in no hurry to play hero.

"Yes, yes! Of course!"

Looking at the other, dead, ORMO, Dawid said to take the legs while he took the arms. Together, they moved the body out of the way for the mean time.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:42, Sun 25 May 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 220 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 25 May 2008
at 05:29
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
Quyen decides not to take the additional shots from the RPK74. Instead she lies as flat as possible against the deck of the Krolowa. Waiting to Jason to suppress the bunker with the DSHK she arcs her neck up and confirms the light machine gun is where she left it... sitting on the sandbagged wall, resting upright on its bipod.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 646 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 25 May 2008
at 05:40
Re: A Shift in the Winds of War
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
"No smoke, Boss. Best I can give you is some 40 mike-mike HE. You want to take the land-side and I'll take the river-side*?"


He had forgotten his own HC smoke grenades in his pack on the Krolowa. Nodding he says, "Ok, HE." After a quick thought says, "I believe there is little room for cover running behind the BTR... I think we should take only one group at a time. Once at the buildings, I will then need you to help guide them."

OOC - No worries from me Tuck. I didn't mean that as criticism or anything negative.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 714 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 25 May 2008
at 20:01
Bullseye!

Jason takes aim at the far shoreline machine gun bunker and, employing lessons learned during his recent crash-course gunnery experience, puts a 15 round burst directly into its aperture, silencing it. Whether he's hit the crew, the gun itself, or both is not clear. After several long seconds of furious noise and gut-wrenching terror from being at the center of the enemy gunner's attention, Dawid and Minh are somewhat taken aback by the sudden [relative] stillness that now surrounds them.

[Private to Jason Kasparov: I am going to award Jason +1XP to autogun for the fight against the hovercraft and another for rolling a natural 1 on a formidable shot with his last to hit. Way to go Jason!]

Milk, finding the foward, right PKM manned by the Sando Ormo liaison, decides to stay in the vicinity to direct and coordinate the Krolowa's forward fires. He hopes Anneka has things under control again aft. Griet has just burned through an entire 100 round belt, having severely pockmarked the upper facade of the riverside bunker with suppressive fire. Her wounded side is throbbing but her head is clear and her senses are sharp. The IPAT AGS team on the building's roof has so far been kept silent. It's possible that they've either been killed or wounded or perhaps the weapon's been repositioned.

On the ground, Konrad, shouting and gesticulating emphatically, attracts one of the Sando militia non-com's attention. The man, heartened by the slackening of incoming fire, responds by admonishing his men, three of whom break cover to dash behind the BTR. As Stoner looses another 40mm grenade at the IPAT positions, a handful of militia raise their heads long enough to provide semi-accurate cover fire. Tucker is preparing to move towards the BTR's entry hatch when an RPG round detonates about seven meters to the right of the APC, bursting in a large, orange fireball, shrapnel pinging against the metal hull*. Fortunately, no one is hurt by the near miss.

In the BTR's turret, Mariusz, pausing to scan for definite targets, sees the backblast of the RPG among some shrubbery just off the road ahead. He centers the weapon's cross-hairs over the spot and doses it with a burst of 14.5mm*. The shrubbery shreds and dirt flies but once again, due to the KPV's immense muzzle flash, it's not entirely clear if the target was actually hit.

Regardless, the balance of fire is now swinging rapidly in favor of the attackers.

Actions?

OOC: *Luckily Tuck paused just in time. I didn't have him enter the BTR yet since the presence of a nearby IPAT RPG team may influence his decision to do so. The RPG might be kaput but it might not. With about 200m between the ground team and the IPAT positions, a conventional infantry attack may also work.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 235 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 25 May 2008
at 20:13
Re: Bullseye!
Mariusz' throat went dry as he fired off the last of the ready ammunition. He might have hit the RPG, but he couldn't tell. Chances were he'd bought himself at least a few moment's grace, they would have at least ducked and decided to move.

He reached a decision, discretion was the better part of valour and he'd seen what Bear's rounds had done to APCs they'd ambushed. he wriggled out of the seat and readied his G3. He got next to the BTR door and dived out of it, hitting the ground as flat as he possible could.

Mariusz
G3 20/20
Exiting the BTR and hitting the deck, hard.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 182 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 25 May 2008
at 20:16
Re: Bullseye!
Griet sighed in relief as the HMG post fell silent, she still couldn't tell if she'd done any damage to the AGS crew but couldn't afford to give them the opportunity to rain HE onto the deck. She ignored her aching side and continued to fire, worried now about the glowing barrel of the gun.

Griet
Port PKMG 100/200
Suppressive fire on the assumed AGS position.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 201 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 26 May 2008
at 00:25
Re: Bullseye!
"Take that you son of a bitches!" Jason exclaims as the bunker groes silent. "Dawid , Minh your clear."

Jason then turns back to the shoreline, laying down a steady stream of fire.

Jason Kasparov
Dushka providing fire
Konrad Bayer
 player, 647 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 26 May 2008
at 08:52
Re: Bullseye!
"Mariusz!" Bayer yells from behind the BTR. "Cover fire! Where are you going?"

He grabs one of the Sando militia huddling with him and pulls him in close behind their cover. "Stoner, suppress that RPG!"

He pats Tuck on the shoulder several times, "Go. Go. We can't stop. Attack attack!" Bayer was well aware the threat the RPG posed to the BTR. But having spent the war in a mechanized company he was all about offensive and mobile action. The RPG could just as well kill them in place he figured.

Bayer
Encouraging Mariusz and Tucker to risk the BTR

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 95 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 26 May 2008
at 10:49
Re: Bullseye!
Konrad Bayer:
"Stoner, suppress that RPG!"


Dave nods, and fires his ready loaded HE round at the clump of bushes shredded by the big machine gun. You bastard, he thinks. I HATE RPGs. A memory of an inflatable boat crammed full of camouflaged men going upriver on this same river flashes through his mind. A flash of light, a large explosion, being hurtled into the cold water. A machinegun and assault rifles set on full auto winking like fireflies in the night. Screams of wounded and dying men, closer than brothers.

A cold rage fills the combat medic. "Motherfucker!" he screams. After firing the grenade, he empties his AK into the clump of bushes for good measure.

Dave
Firing grenade launcher, then AK at RPG position
AK-74, 6 magazines
BG-15, 3 HE, 1 Illum
Aid Bag

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 392 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 27 May 2008
at 04:37
Re: Bullseye!
Tucker burries his head as he feels the explosion of the RPG round that just went off near them.  He was just getting ready to move out and something must've snagged his MOLLE rig and prevented him from moving when he wanted, lucky for him it would seem!

Hearing the return fire and feeling Konrad patting him on the shoulder and yelling for him to go, Tucker is finally able to get himself moving towards the opening in which Mariusz had entered the BTR but, was now exiting from.

"GET THE FUCK BACK IN THE VEHCILE KID!" Tucker yells at him as he makes his way inside the APC and towards the driver's seat.  He slings his rifle and looks for the controls to start it up and get moving out.  "OK, Bobby think!  The shit's gotta be here in front of you somewhere!  Where's the start on this griggin' thing?" races through Tucker's mind as he hears rounds bouncing off the exterior of the APC.  He only hoped that the RPG that just shot at them had been taken out...

Tucker
Slung M-16A2/M-203
Inside BTR trying to start it
Minh Quyen
 player, 221 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 27 May 2008
at 08:14
Re: Bullseye!
Quyen pops her head up taking advantage of the sudden lull in the incoming barrage of fire. Selecting the nearest target (or muzzle signature) within sight, she fires five single shots with the RPK-74. "Firing." she yells.

Quyen
RPK74
Next to mortar
Firing semi-auto 5 rounds at nearest target (using bipod)

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 721 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 27 May 2008
at 11:25
Forward Gun Tub
Saying a silent prayer of thanks, Dawid climbed up the ladder. He checked to see if Minh was okay, and was relieved to see she was still alive and kicking.

Seating himself behind the gun, he intended to put a round of 82mm into each of the 2 remaining bunkers, quieted or not! Although supporting the attack was important, the safety of the Queen must come first.

"Minh, range the bunkers again, and that building we were taking fire from!"

82mm Vasilek (3/5 HE + 5 HE, 5 HEDP)
Firing 1 or more shots on the 2 bunkers. This will take a few turns at least. Also, if they are log or concrete bunkers he will switch to HEDP.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 719 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 27 May 2008
at 22:28
The Beginning of the End?

As Konrad rallies more of the ORMO troops, Stoner lets fly with another 40mm grenade at the smoke-enveloped shrubbery he suspects conceals the IPAT RPG team, observing with some satisfaction the round detonate close enough to its target to do some damage.

As Tucker makes a futile attempt* to start up the BTR, several tall white plumes sprout up somewhere between 100 to 200 meters up the road (near the town). Someone- it's not at all clear who- is laying down WP, either as cover for a hpoed-for Sando-ORMO attack or to screen an IPAT withdrawal. Either way, the timing is excellent for the ground team and their rallied, under-strength ORMO platoon-in-tow.

On board the tug, the team is having a hard time finding worthwhile targets to engage**. Incoming fire has all but dried up. Plumes of WP near the point where the main riverside road enters the town suggests a possible IPAT withdrawal. Several columns of darker smoke suggest fires burning within the town proper.

As Dawid cranks the handle to depress the Vasilek for direct fire, he notices a gouge on the barrel, about six inches from the mouth, presumably caused by a 12.7mm hit during the barrage that had pinned the mortar team down for nearly a full minute (for those under fire, it seemed like a quarter of an hour at least). The ding may be nothing but it may also indicate damage which could make firing the Vasilek potentially fatal to its crew and anyone else nearby.

Actions?

OOC: *Tuck has no skill in GV(W) so he fails to start the BTR. He does, however, have Autogun skill so he could man the KPV (20/50) & PKT (30/30) if he so decides.

**Griet and Jason are still blazing through ammo as per their last posts. This will be treated as suppressive fire. Minh will be able to provide aimed opportunity fire if discernible targets present themselves. Milk will help spot.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:43, Fri 10 Apr 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 608 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 28 May 2008
at 01:13
Re: The Beginning of the End?

Having picked herself up off the deck and checked Hicks was once and forever dealt with, Anneka took a moment to assess the situation.

Obviously something nasty had occured on the aft deck and without even looking she knew the two ORMO she'd stationed there were either dead or close to it.
Burst after burst of both heavy and medium machinegun fire told her that at least somebody was still alive forward and as the tug hadn't been forced into a rapid withdrawal at Adams hands, she had to assume that all was still relatively well in the bow section.
"Shelldrake*, this is Starlight," she called over the intercom as soon as somebody answered.
"Send SITREP, over."
There was a definate need to reallocate some of the crew to the aft weapons, but without an accurate idea of who was where and doing what, she could cause more problems than she solved.

Anneka
At Aft DShK/intercom/radio
Attempting to communicate with forward position
HP-35 (10) + 3 mags


* Shelldrake = Artillery

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:40, Wed 28 May 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 722 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 28 May 2008
at 13:04
Re: The Beginning of the End?
"Possible gun damage to the barrel! I'll check it out!"

He got up and looked at the damage, to determine how bad it was, look for cracks and other obvious weaknesses.

On the plus side, these weapons were made Russian-tough, and a mortar was a relatively low-pressure weapons system as these things went. If the shot was from a shallow angle it would have skimmed off; even an oblique angle may not destroy the barrel integrity as steel possessed a certain amount of flexibility. Lastly, near the muzzle wouldn't be under nearly as much stress as closer to the breech, due to the characteristics of how shells were propelled, where the gas was expanding the fastest, and so on.

The worst that would happen is the barrel might burst near the muzzle, which wouldn't detonate the shell but spray the area with deadly shrapnel.

[Private to GM: I imagine it really would take an X-Ray to look for hairline cracks and so on. Well, see if he can tell anything, although I guess Metallurgy skill would help.]
Minh Quyen
 player, 222 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 28 May 2008
at 16:28
Re: The Beginning of the End?
Manning the RPK74 Quyen is unable to locate any new targets. Lowering the weapon she raises the binos and sights the buildings. Comparing the reticle patter with the buildings Dawid planned on hitting, she estimates the distance. "Left building range XXX meters... right building range... ahh... XXX meters." she calls over to him as he inspects the barrel.

Lowering the binos she says, "No enemy targets seen."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 648 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 28 May 2008
at 16:45
Re: The Beginning of the End?
Bayer pauses, waiting for the BTR to lurch forward. When it fails to move or even start, he assumes the damage was too much. "Stoner! Lets go!" he yells, "Get these men moving! We go!"

Grabbing the webbing of the militia NCO he points towards the buildings ahead, "Go! Schnell! Attack Attack!" Figuring he is forced to lead by example to motivate these men onwards, he runs alongside the hull of the BTR pausing at the small side door. "Cover fire! We do frontal!" he yells in to Mariusz.

Bayer then will dash forward short distances before dropping and watching his front for targets which present themselves. If he sees an enemy he will fire semiauto matic (full 5 rounds). He'll also scream and use hand gestures to prod the militia forward, ensuring they don't bunch up or refuse to get back up to do another dash across the open ground.

During one such dash he calls into the radio, "Starlight, Sunray, attacking first line of buidlings, watch your fire!"

Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
Forward of BTR
Tactical movements towards the buildings/encouraging militia to follow

This message was last edited by the player at 16:46, Wed 28 May 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 239 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 28 May 2008
at 17:59
Re: The Beginning of the End?
Mariusz heard Bayer's call for covering fire and complied, lying flat on the floor, he aimed his G3 and began firing three round bursts at the sheltering IPAT troops, the shots had little hope of hitting anyone but he hoped that the heavy rounds clanging around their shelter would encourage them to stay down.

Mariusz
Scoped G3 20/20
Lying prone
Suppressive fire for the militia advance

[Private to Cap'n Rae: I know the firing of 3-round bursts isn't in the rules, but Mariusz isn't going to hit anything anyway. His aim is to keep people's heads down. I wouldn't bother rolling to see if he hits anything, just if he keeps a certain area suppressed and I'll take 15 rounds out of the mag next turn.]

This message was last edited by the player at 18:00, Wed 28 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 183 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 28 May 2008
at 18:03
Re: The Beginning of the End?
Griet continues to lay down suppressive fire on the AGS position, hot metal schorched the back of her hand where an errant shell casing dropped on it. Around her feet more casings rolled and tumbled, she'd have to do a lot of picking up after the firefight.

Griet
PKMG 75/200
Suppressive fire on the AGS position.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 393 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 28 May 2008
at 22:15
Re: The Beginning of the End?
Tucker tries to start the vehicle and is is irate as he looks around to see where the starter or ignition is for the BTR.  Frustrated, he gets up from the seat and moves to the door of the APC and calls out to Konrad, "I CAN'T GET THE FUCKIN' THING STARTED!  A LITTLE HELP?"  Tucker moves back into the drivers area and continues to look around to see if he can find the starter.

Tucker
Slung M-16
Trying to get help and find the starter

OOC: I thought I you get some WVD training in Basic Training?  I may have ommitted that from my PC creation?
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 96 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 29 May 2008
at 03:23
Re: The Beginning of the End?
"Get up! Move it, move it, move it!" Dave shouts at the stalled militia. One of the men turns and looks at Stoner, who winks. "You're all worthless and weak" , he smiles as he yells at the man, pointing forward. "Andalay andalay!".

He makes a point of staying behind the militia, urging them forward, yelling, cussing and bodily pushing them if neccesary. As he's working the crowd, he reloads his grenade launcher, thinking Shit, used half of what I was carrying already. Should have brought more.

Stoner
urgin militia forward
AK-74, 5 magazines (1 used)
BG-15, 3 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 722 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 29 May 2008
at 23:29
Final Push

Urged on by Konrad, Stoner, and their own somewhat reluctant NCO, and provided with cover fire by Mariusz and a few of their number, the road-bound Sando ORMO platoon rises and begins moving towards the white smoke. Tucker, try as he might, cannot get the BTR started. Perhaps the IED did some invisible damage to the engine or the starter; perhaps it's just old age, but the old beast won't budge. As Tucker throws up his hands in defeat, the BTR's crew enters through the side hatch and begin shouting and gesitculating emphatically. Tucker reaches the conclusion that his presence is no longer welcome.

The Sando ORMO platoon makes it through the smoke with only one additional wounded. They emerge through the ephemeral barrier to find nothing but empty fighting positions, spent brass, and a few bodies. The corner building, lynch-pin of the town's north-western defenses, is partially ablaze and the section of the roof nearest the road has collapsed. A few armed figures can be seen withdrawing deeper into the town along the road. Sporadic firing from the east indicates the main assault group is still facing some opposition but the volume of fire suggests that the attack has been largely successful and that the mopping up phase of the battle has commenced.

On the tug, Griet has burned through 200 rounds for the PKM. The last spent casing clinks off the metal deck as the balance roll around under foot. Steam and smoke rise off of the barrel. Jason, likewise, reaches the end of his weapon's ready ammo. The smell of cordite and hot lubricant hangs heavy in the air. Clarence moves to fetch another box of ammo for the Dushka.

Below, on the Krolowa's foredeck, Dawid gives the Vasilek a quick inspection and determines that the gouge on the outside of the barrel is no more than a cosmetic wound. The gun-mortar should work just fine. Minh eyes the shoreline like a hawk, searching for threats of any kind. There's very little movement ashore and what little there is does not seem overtly threatening. In Minh's estimation, the IPAT are pulling back towards the center of town. She knows, however, that this does not eliminate the possibility of a few stay-behinds that can still cause mischief.

The tug, moving slowly, approaches to within 100m of stationary dredging barge, moored in the middle of the river's navigable channel. It appears unnoccupied but for several 50-gallon drums packed between the cab of the excavator unit and the squat cluster of the barge's motive machinery.

As if releasing a long held breath after a period of nervous anticipation, the sky cracks open and a cold rain begins once more to fall.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:32, Thu 29 May 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 610 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 30 May 2008
at 02:56
Re: Final Push
Giving up on tryingf to contact the mortar position, Anneka instead switches her efforts to contacting the bridge the moment she spies the barrels aboard the dredging barge.
"Bridge, this is Starlight. Keep clear of the dredge. Possible explosives in drums."
The battle appeared to have gone too well for there not to be some kind of suprise. Even though at least four of their number aboard were dead, they'd not actually suffered from incoming fire - the casualties resulting from unexpected internal betrayal.
Her message delivered by intercom to Adam, she switched over to the radio.
"Sunray, this is Starlight. Sustained at least four casualties due to betrayal. Budda plus two ORMO killed by Hicks. Over."
Glancing down from the rear DShK position had confirmed her fears - both of the ORMO stationed there had suffered bullet wounds to their heads. There was almost no chance that they could have survived such trauma.

Anneka
Communicating via intercom then radio
HP-35 (10) + 3 mags

This message was last edited by the player at 05:28, Fri 30 May 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 395 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 30 May 2008
at 04:40
Re: Final Push
Cap'n Rae:
Urged on by Konrad, Stoner, and their own somewhat reluctant NCO, and provided with cover fire by Mariusz and a few of their number, the road-bound Sando ORMO platoon rises and begins moving towards the white smoke. Tucker, try as he might, cannot get the BTR started. Perhaps the IED did some invisible damage to the engine or the starter; perhaps it's just old age, but the old beast won't budge. As Tucker throws up his hands in defeat, the BTR's crew enters through the side hatch and begin shouting and gesitculating emphatically. Tucker reaches the conclusion that his presence is no longer welcome.Actions?
Tucker thinks about just dropping a frag grenade inside the damaged APC as he is once again defeated by looking for the starter/ignition switch for the BTR.  When he hears the voices of the crew coming back into the vehicle, he gives them a frustrated smile and then stands out of their way so they can properly man their vehicle.

Robert stays out of their way and lets them try to get the APC going again and get back into the fight.

Tucker
Slung M-16A2/M-203
Letting Militia crewmen take over BTR
Konrad Bayer
 player, 649 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 30 May 2008
at 05:16
Re: Final Push
Bayer points at the militia NCO, and says quietly "Go... (waving towards the enemy)... go. Take your men." Leaving the platoon to their own leadership he sides up next to Stoner. "This is their show. Lets go down to those bunkers and see if there are any heavy weapons we can acquire."

He acknowledges Anneka's response but doesn't say anything about it. Nor does he inform Stoner, Mariusz or Tucker at the moment. Bayer will then lead Stoner through the smoke back to the immobile BTR to collect the other two men of the shore party. "Lets check the bunkers." Then remembering something he adds, "And where that RPG was on the way."

"Anyone see where our driver went?" he asks.

Bayer
Collecting spoils of war from the dead.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:17, Fri 30 May 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 612 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 30 May 2008
at 05:37
Re: Final Push
Message delivered, Anneka reverted to attempting to make contact by intercom with the mortar position once more. She'd have physically gone there herself but that would leave the rear quarter completely unprotected.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 240 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 30 May 2008
at 09:01
Re: Final Push
Mariusz got up cautiously, nodding at Bayer's orders and switched the partially spent magazine for a new one. He looked over at the bushes where the RPG team had been hidden and said, "The RPG was over there, should we start there and work our way back? Also," he pointed to a place where he'd fired the KPV, "I think there was an MG position there."

Mariusz
G3 21/20 (changed a magazine with one in the chamber, can the G3 do this?)
Looting

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 184 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 30 May 2008
at 09:04
Re: Final Push
After firing enough ammunition to feed a farmer's family for a year at a target that may or may not have existed, Griet moved to see if there was any more ammunition for the PKMG, she called over to Milk, "I'm out of ready ammo, do we have more or should I go to the Major for a new weapon assignment?"

Griet
Tantal 30/30
Up to her knees in brass

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 98 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 30 May 2008
at 10:46
Re: Final Push
Konrad Bayer:
"This is their show. Lets go down to those bunkers and see if there are any heavy weapons we can acquire."

 Bayer will then lead Stoner through the smoke back to the immobile BTR to collect the other two men of the shore party. "Lets check the bunkers." Then remembering something he adds, "And where that RPG was on the way."

"Anyone see where our driver went?" he asks.


"And remember," Dave tells the departing militia, "bring all the gold and silver you find back to me."
Dave follows Konrad to the BTR, and gives Mariusz and Tucker a quick glance to assure himself they're not wounded, and nods a hello again to them.

"I don't think he (the driver) ever got out of the truck" he replies to Konrad.

 Stoner
AK-74, 5 magazines (1 used)
BG-15, 3 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 143 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Fri 30 May 2008
at 20:33
Forward Companionway
Griet Niewiadomska:
"I'm out of ready ammo, do we have more or should I go to the Major for a new weapon assignment?"


While responding to Griet's querry, Milk hands off a fresh can of 12.7mm rounds to Jason on the port Dushka.

"I'm afraid that's it. We've got another 100 rounds for the other one. Maybe we should switch 'em since it looks like the other bank is quiet."

Milk keeps one weary eye on the dredge, now just under 100m distant. The tug is maintaining just enough way to keep station against the current.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:35, Fri 30 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 185 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 30 May 2008
at 20:40
Re: Forward Companionway
"OK," Griet replied. She unhitched the machinegun and walked over to the other position. She rested the big gun against the rail and unhitched the loaded PK. Then she hitched up the empty one, returned to her post and hitched up the loaded gun to the weapon mount. Once this was all done she continued scanning the area for potential targets.

Griet
PKMG 100/100
Scanning for IPAT

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 724 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 30 May 2008
at 21:04
Traffic (GM Supplemental)

As Konrad and Stoner reunite with Tuck and Mariusz 200m outside of town, the Sando BTR crew manages to restart their wounded charge. The engine sputters to life, kicking out great quantities of thick, gray smoke, and the APC begins rolling awkwardly after its dismounts, leaning towards its wounded right side. The rain is coming down steadily now, splashing off the APC's weatherbeaten sides and puddling in its tracks on the roadway.

Looking north, they can just see their UAZ and driver parked behind the smoldering remains of the mortar-stricken Ural truck. Squinting through the rain and smoke, the group can just make another pair of vehicles approaching: two large, four wheeled, horse-drawn wagons.

Sporadic gunfire- now mostly single shots or short bursts- echoes dully from the interior of Tarnobrzeg.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:10, Fri 30 May 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 223 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 31 May 2008
at 07:09
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Quyen lines up the RPK forward along the shore ahead. She'll keep watch but not fire unless the target is confirmed to be enemy. "Forward covered." she reports.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 397 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 31 May 2008
at 13:16
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Cap'n Rae:
As Konrad and Stoner reunite with Tuck and Mariusz 200m outside of town, the Sando BTR crew manages to restart their wounded charge. The engine sputters to life, kicking out great quantities of thick, gray smoke, and the APC begins rolling awkwardly after its dismounts, leaning towards its wounded right side. The rain is coming down steadily now, splashing off the APC's weatherbeaten sides and puddling in its tracks on the roadway.

Looking north, they can just see their UAZ and driver parked behind the smoldering remains of the mortar-stricken Ural truck. Squinting through the rain and smoke, the group can just make another pair of vehicles approaching: two large, four wheeled, horse-drawn wagons.

Sporadic gunfire- now mostly single shots or short bursts- echoes dully from the interior of Tarnobrzeg.
Tucker exits the vehicle with Mariusz outside the APC and meets back up with Bayer & Stoner.  He unlings his rifle off of his back and says to the returning pair, "Looks like the assault's back on!  We got two wagons comin' in from where we left our ride in here.  You wanna go and start lootin' the area or what Konrad?  We can follow the BTR back in and use it for cover or we push out on our own."

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Outside BTR deciding next move

This message was last edited by the player at 13:18, Sat 31 May 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 650 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 31 May 2008
at 13:19
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Bayer nods to Tucker, "Ja. I think we start at where the RPG was last sighted and work our way down to the bunkers." Looking over his shoulder he adds, "If we can get our driver back, it would help with support weapons."

"I'm not sure I want us to have anything to do with these wagons."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 241 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 31 May 2008
at 13:34
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Mariusz moved up to the rest of the shore party and then led the way towards where he hoped the RPG lay.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 186 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 31 May 2008
at 13:35
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Griet checked that her new machinegun was in order and ready to fire. Then she resumed scanning for hostile targets.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 723 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 31 May 2008
at 16:46
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Looking closely at the silver smear of lead from the bullet that scored the Vasilek's barrel, Dawid nodded.

"It's nothing, just a scratch."

He heard the intercom buzz, announcing a call. Trotting back, he mentioned to Minh, "the gun looks fine. Please keep an eye out for any resistance. Make getting a range on it a priority, yes? Thank you so much, my friend!"

Picking up the intercom he said, "I thought there was a problem with the Vasilek, but it's fully operational. How are things proceeding?"

If he saw anything suspicious, he would pump a round of HE in first and ask questions later.

82mm Vasilek (3/5 HE + 5 HE, 5 HEDP)
Aiming for Opportunity Fire

Jason Kasparov
 player, 202 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 31 May 2008
at 17:37
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Taking the ammo can from Milk, Jason slaps it into the Dushka, stringing the belt into the weapon as he was shown. Once secure, he chambers a round, and scans the perimeter for targets.

Looking over at the mortar team he yells out to Minh, "Are you ok?"

Jason Kasparov
Port dushka
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 727 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 31 May 2008
at 22:25
The Wrong Horse

Standing in the middle of the rain-slicked road, Konrad waves their militia driver up to join the ground team. It takes a few seconds for him to get the message (or muster the nerve to get nearer to the battle area) but he eventually complies. Mariusz and the rest of the ground team- followed by the chaffeured UAZ- walk along behind the BTR until it stops  about 50m outside of town. He leads them past the parked APC through the mostly dissipated WP smoke to the shredded shrubbery whence the RPG had been launched. A torn body lies half-way out of a spider hole; another lies crumpled at the bottom. The IPAT seem to have been profesional enough to have stripped their dead comrades' weapons before pulling back. Around the unnoccupied machine gun nest, they find more of the same- three dead surrounded by spent brass but no weapons. A few blood trails can be seen leading down the road despite the rapidly accumulating surface water from the steady, cold rain. The dead wear a motley assortment of uniforms- Polish, East and West German, Russian. *

As the team surveys their corner of the battlefield, the clippity-clop of shod hooves on a hard surface grows louder and soon the wagons, escorted by a shady-looking gaggle of armed men, roll past down the road before turning left and moving away towards the center of town. Apparently, word must be spreading that the town is secure. One wagon has a low passenger compartment made of thick, flattened iron bars, the other is a taller construction of sections of chain-link fencing and barbed wire. They can best be described as rolling cages. The wagons are followed by two of the Urals that had brought the Sando-ORMO troops to their jumping-off points.

Meanwhile, the tug maintains station about 100m off the dredging barge, anchored near the north-south midway point of the town. The Krolowa would have to pass alongside the barge in order to dock at the settlement's pier. About a half-dozen columns of smoke hover over the town and every few minutes, another rises to meet them. Someone, it would seem, is deliberately torching Tarnobrzeg.

No movement can be seen along the shore. The quiet is both welcome and somewhat ominous.

Actions?

OOC: *Let me know if you want to search the bodies more carefully or whether you'd like to proceed to the shore buidlings/bunkers.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:00, Sat 31 May 2008.

Clarence Milk
 NPC, 144 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Sat 31 May 2008
at 22:31
Forward Companionway to Quarterdeck

Clarence, after seeing that Jason and Griet are squared away and ready to resume the fight if need be, unlings his AK and makes his way to the quarterdeck.

"Major, it's starting to look like the IPAT have bugged out. You want me and one of the others to take a Zodiac to shore and help sweep for gear? Maybe we should check out that barge first too. Whattaya think, sir?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 651 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 1 Jun 2008
at 08:45
Re: Forward Companionway to Quarterdeck
Bayer looks at Stoner and Tuck, "Nose around a little more, then meet us down at the bunkers. Don't take too long ja? Doesn't look like anything of value ist here."

After walking a few meters turns and asks, "Either of you have a radio?"

Leading Mariusz, the pair will make their way towards the river's edge, and to the bunkers.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 242 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 1 Jun 2008
at 08:58
Re: Forward Companionway to Quarterdeck
Mariusz nodded to the captain and accompanied him to the bunkers, all the time looking for snipers or other hold-outs.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 615 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 1 Jun 2008
at 14:59
Re: Forward Companionway to Quarterdeck
As the battle was apparently winding down, Anneka was able to obtain more information about the state of affairs aboard the tug. Five were dead, but none injured. A small blessing with the limited supply of medical equipment they possessed, but by no means did it make up for the grave loss of life.
"I want Minh moved up here to take over the starboard heavy machinegun and you to keep watch over the rear quarter while maintaining comms with the shore."
She wanted desperately to dock and hand over to Konrad, but until the barge had been checked out, that just wasnt' going to be possible.
"Minh, Kasparov," she asked as soon as she could.
"I've a feeling those barrels on the barge might be loaded with explosives. Do you think a couple of shots into them would be wise or do we need to board and check it out in person?"
As the pair were the only ones with any real explosives knowledge, they'd have to rely heavily on their assessment of the possible threat.
Handing the issue over to them, she began the grizzly, but necessary task of stripping Hicks of his gear and searching for some explaination of his actions.
[Private to GM: Once done will move on to Stan and the three dead ORMO]
Anneka
Gathering post battle information, shuffling the surviving crew (Minh only for the moment) and inquiring about the threat of the barge exploding
Then, searching Hicks
HP-35 (10) + 3mags

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 398 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 1 Jun 2008
at 16:27
Re: Forward Companionway to Quarterdeck
Tucker nods to Bayer's request to look around the area a little bit more to see if there is anything that they can use.  Not a bad thought to take away the weapons and ammo of their dead, might mean that they're low on ammo and weapons or that they're actually pretty well trained.  Whatever the case, they still left their dead and probably some wounded around.  Rob makes his way to a couple of areas where there is oppotunity to search for useful wares off their adversaries.

When Konrad asks for a radio Tucker replies, "I gotta hand radio boss.  Why you need to use it?"

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Searching the battlefield and then meeting up with Konrad at the bunkers as instructed.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 99 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 1 Jun 2008
at 21:55
Re: Forward Companionway to Quarterdeck
"No radio" Stoner tells Konrad. Moving up with Tcuker he starts giving the bodies a quick search.

He's basically looking for anything of value: gold, silver- either as coined money or jewelry; small items to rebuild his gear- pocketknives, multitools razors and blades, etc.


Stoner
looting dead bodies!
AK-74, 5 magazines (1 used)
BG-15, 3 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 724 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 2 Jun 2008
at 09:02
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Jason Kasparov:
Taking the ammo can from Milk, Jason slaps it into the Dushka, stringing the belt into the weapon as he was shown. Once secure, he chambers a round, and scans the perimeter for targets.

Looking over at the mortar team he yells out to Minh, "Are you ok?"


Holding his hand over the mouthpiece he grinned and answered the non-specific shout, "We're all just fine, thanks! Well, not all of us."

Understanding that Jason's concern was porabaly directed towards Minh, he rolled his eyes in mock exasperation. Man, these Yanks, always thinking with their pricks. Christ save us!

He said to Anneka over the intercom, "Yes. I will send her up immediately. Also, while I don't like the look of those barrels, please consider they could be fuel for the hovercraft! If needed, I know how to safely disarm explosive devices. Just keep that in mind before we blow them up, if that is your decision."

Hanging up he said, "Minh, Anneka needs you, please go to her, quickly."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:58, Mon 02 June 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 654 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 2 Jun 2008
at 10:06
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Bayer calls back to Tuck, "Nein. Just want to make sure you and Stoner have comms with me." After a few more steps calls back again, "When you are done here and go to meet us at the bunkers, bring that driver and our manpack."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 400 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 2 Jun 2008
at 13:00
Re: Traffic (GM Supplemental)
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer calls back to Tuck, "Nein. Just want to make sure you and Stoner have comms with me." After a few more steps calls back again, "When you are done here and go to meet us at the bunkers, bring that driver and our manpack."
"Will do boss.  We'll sound off if we find anything or if something comes up.  The driver unederstands English right?" Tucker asks him before he goes back to pilfering with Stoner.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 145 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Mon 2 Jun 2008
at 15:00
Re: Forward Companionway to Quarterdeck
Anneka Soleblume:
"I want Minh moved up here to take over the starboard heavy machinegun and you to keep watch over the rear quarter while maintaining comms with the shore."


"Yessir, but someone ought to check those barrels or we should move the tug back another couple hundred meters."

As he crosses the half-dozen meters to the aft Dushka, Clarence looks down at the dead Switek lying cold on the quarterdeck.

"Damn. He was a good man. Chopper?"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:01, Mon 02 June 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 187 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 2 Jun 2008
at 16:40
Re: Forward Companionway to Quarterdeck
With the adrenaline of the combat fading slightly, Griet slowly realised that something had gone badly wrong behind her, Sandomierz troops were dead, Switek was a ripped up mass of offal and Anneka seemed to have executed Hicks. Everyone else seemed OK with this last act so she had to assume that Hicks was the author of the first to actions and that Anneka was their saviour.

More blood ran down the sides of the Krowla and tears, salty mimics in this case, began to roll down her gunsmoke smudged cheeks leaving tiny rivulets of sorrow in the smutty dirt of war.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 729 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 2 Jun 2008
at 22:57
Cleaning Up

Konrad and Mariusz carefully make their towards the town's modest docking facilities, meeting no resistance along the way. After emerging from the shadows of the intervening buildings, the broad river comes into view, the Krolowa poised a couple of hundred meters upstream near the moored dredging barge. The pair enter the first of the riverstide bunkers and find a quaker gun- a few pieces of plywood wired together and coated in lamp-black to resemble a heavy machine gun. From the cigarette butts and candy wrappers littering the bottom of the gun-pit, it looks like it must have housed a real weapon at one time.

Meanwhile, Stoner and Tuck examine the half-dozen IPAT corpses left behind on the battlefield. Despite the withdrawing enemy's having taken with them all of their dead comrades' weapons, much in the way of ammunition was left behind. Chopper and Tucker find six full 5.45mm magazines, three full 7.62mm S magazines, and six PACT fragmentation grenades. In addition to the ammo, Stoner finds a butterfly knife in the thigh pocket of one dead IPAT soldier and Tucker discovers a half-full pack of cigarettes in the chest pocket of another. Having scavenged what they can, the pair wash the blood from their hands using water from the canteen of one of the IPAT soldiers. Then, they move on at the double to catch up with Konrad and Mariusz.

The ground team reunites at shore bunker #2. The occupants- probably a pair of IPAT soldiers- look like their torsoes have been churned into gallons of rasberry jam by a direct hit by an 82mm HE round from the tug's Vasilek. Even if any of the group wanted to crawl down into the hole with the semi-obliterated corpses, it's unlikely they would find anything of use among the bits and pieces. The B-11 recoiless rifle from the pit lies a few meters away, the barrel dented in a couple of places. It's condition is probably beyond repair.

At the third and last bunker, the group finds a prize of sorts- 52 rounds of 12.7mm ammunition for the tug's hungry Dushkas. The IPAT HMG, however, is damaged. It looks like at least two rounds of 12.7mm from the tug have smashed into its receiver. The gunner, lying crumpled in the bottom of the pit, is missing the left side of his head. The assistant gunner, if there was one, is nowhere to be found.

As the group is preparing to head back to the UAZ with their loot, a squad of men dressed in Soviet cammies emerge crouching from the solitary riverside warehouse*, pointing their weapons nervously at the party. The team knows enough Russian to understand that they are being ordered to drop their weapons.

On the tug, Anneka examines Chopper's body and searches through his personal effects. He's a bloody mess- left arm almost severed just below the elbow, gunshot wounds in his left thigh, lower back in the vicinity of his left kidney, and upper back between the shoulder blades. To top it off, the front of his body is riddled with grenade fragments. No clue as to Chopper's motives for his sudden betrayal is found on his person. At the boat's stern, Anneka finds one Sando-ORMO soldier dead from a single close-range gunshot wound to the head. The other militiaman is missing**. Both left behind loaded AKM rifles. The dead man has four full mags in pouches on his webbing.

The rest of the tug team mans their stations, weary of an IPAT counter attack or Sando-ORMO double-cross. The mysterious drums on the barge are poised under their noses.

Actions?

OOC:

*This is building atop which the tug's crew saw an AGS-17 positioned as she passed by T-breg on its way to the "rendezvous" with the IPAT ground convoy.

**Jason saw the second militiaman's body pitch overboard.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:04, Mon 02 June 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 101 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 2 Jun 2008
at 23:44
Re: Cleaning Up
Dave pulls a not too destroyed shirt off one of the corpse and spreads it on the ground to pile thier newfound loot in, and pockets the knife for a closer examination at a later time. When all the magazines and the grenades are in the shirt, he ties the tails and sleeves together to make a hobo pack. After rinsing off thier hands, Dave keeps the canteen and carrier, unless Tucker objects. (He's scavenging anything, all his gear was confiscated.)


At the last bunker, when the Soviet cammou'd men appear, he smiles disarmingly and says " No tiendo. Si hablo espaniol?"



Stoner

AK-74, 5 magazines (1 used)
BG-15, 3 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag
Minh Quyen
 player, 224 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 3 Jun 2008
at 03:07
Re: Cleaning Up
"I'm good." Quyen replies. Placing the RPK on safe she nods to Dawid and collects her rifle off of the Krolowa's deck.

Moving to the upper deck she reports to Anneka, "Doctor." she says. "Which DSHK do you need me on?"

After receiving her duty instructions she listens as Anneka inquires about the mysterious barrels. "Possible." she says. "Or perhaps I can check it out. It might be worthwhile. I know how to look up close at things that might be trapped. I've had to work with mines and booby traps and such. I know how to look and feel around without setting something off."

[Private to GM: Sorry for being late on my post.]

This message was last edited by the player at 03:09, Tue 03 June 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 203 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 3 Jun 2008
at 05:03
Re: Cleaning Up
Hearing everything is safe for the mortar team, Jason returns to watching the shoreline for potential targets. He eyes the barrels pointed out as possible explosives, but having no expierence with explosives, he allows for Minh to rule what the might be.

His hands shake slightly as the battle seems to have waned. Shaking the fear off, he returns to his detail.

Jason Kasparov
Port Dushka
Searching out targets.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 619 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 3 Jun 2008
at 11:45
Re: Cleaning Up
Inwardly cringing at the thought of loosing more valuable crew to other duties, Anneka knew all the same that she had little choice - the barrels had to be checked and that couldn't be done properly from a distance.
"Alright, take Jason with you. He's apparently got some experience with explosives too."
Although she'd briefly considered sending Minh over alone, with the sounds of battle still echoing around them, her safety had to come first.
"See if Adam can spare one of the deckhands to help get the boat in the water."
And so she had only Dawid, Milk, Griet and herself left for security, not counting the two surviving ORMO and Adams crew.
Using the intercom to it's fullest, she rearranged those she still had available.
"Dawid, you and the ORMO with you are now solely responsible for the forward quarter."
"Milk, stay with the aft DShK."
"Griet, I need you to shift over to the Port DShK and I'll take care of the Starboard."

They were certainly thin on the ground with some very important weapons going unmanned, but at least they had eyes pointing in every direction....
[Private to GM: ORMO3 the one with the radio, should now be on the bridge with Adam I think.]
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 188 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 3 Jun 2008
at 15:53
Re: Cleaning Up
Greit nodded at the Major and left her current position to man the Dushka on the prot side of the boat.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 403 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 3 Jun 2008
at 21:59
Re: Cleaning Up
Tucker searches the bodies and puts any useful items in a pile where Bones has collected his.  He nods to him when he finds the smokes, "You don't smoke do ya Bones?  Got some smokes right here if you want 'em.  If not, I'll give 'em to Dawid and Minh.  Nice looking knife you found.  Listen, take whatever equipment you think you may need dude."

As they make their way back to the UAZ, the sudden sight of the squad of soldiers takes them by surprise.  "You've got to be fucking kidding me," Tucker thinks to himself as he looks the seven men over to see if they're hard core guys or just flunky militia.  Either way, they got the drop on the four of them pretty good, no matter who they are.

Tucker keeps his hand on the rifles grip but his finger away from the trigger nad the M-16 hanging on its sling.  He doesn't want to make any sudden moves to spook these guys into firing and looks around and sees only the bunker and river bank for cover.  "How do you wanna handle this shit?" he says to Konrad.

Tucker
Patrol Slung M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Standing very still in road
Konrad Bayer
 player, 656 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 4 Jun 2008
at 00:54
Re: Cleaning Up
"Forty mill, get ready." Bayer mutters just loud enough for the others around him. Keeping one hand on his rifle he holds the other one up like how a policeman would halt traffic. "Stop." he warns them of approaching further in a confident tone. They had the drop on them, and the numbers, but Bayer tried to turn things around by commanding the situation.

"Lower weapons." he says in English, waving his free hand in a downward fashion.

"Mariusz... tell them to parlay. Tell them we are all going to die if they don't. Tell them I'm telling them to... and this is the one chance they'll get at making it through today alive." he says.

His own weapon will be angled downwards but only about 45 degrees.

Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
Holding steady

This message was last edited by the player at 00:56, Wed 04 June 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 404 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 4 Jun 2008
at 04:09
Re: Cleaning Up
Konrad Bayer:
"Forty mill, get ready." Bayer mutters just loud enough for the others around him.
Keeping his movemnts to a minimum, Tucker mutters back to Konrad, "Roger that!  Hotel Echo ready!"
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 104 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 4 Jun 2008
at 11:05
Re: Cleaning Up
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker searches the bodies and puts any useful items in a pile where Bones has collected his.  He nods to him when he finds the smokes, "You don't smoke do ya Bones?  Got some smokes right here if you want 'em.  If not, I'll give 'em to Dawid and Minh.  Nice looking knife you found.  Listen, take whatever equipment you think you may need dude."


"Shit's bad for ya. Clogs the lungs. I'll have to check out the knife later, most of these balisong knives I've seen are cheap junk, but maybe I can do something with it."
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 105 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 4 Jun 2008
at 11:06
Re: Cleaning Up
"Gotcha", Dave whispers. Like the others, he's tensed and ready for action on a hair trigger notice.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 726 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 4 Jun 2008
at 14:01
Bow Weapons Position
Spotting what looks to be some trouble developing on shore, Dawid says to the ORMO team leader in Polish, "Those your guys? Better call them off."

He pointed at the Russians confronting the shore party, moving the gun to aim at them, then picked up the intercom and spoke in English.

"Anneka, come to the front, trouble on shore. I'm covering the shore party. Also, keep an eye on things here where I am."

82mm Vasilek (3/5 HE + 5 HE, 5 HEDP)
Aiming to cover the shore for Opportunity Fire

This message was last edited by the player at 14:01, Wed 04 June 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 247 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 4 Jun 2008
at 16:29
Acting on behalf of the UN...
Mariusz lowered his big rifle and smiled at the Russians in front of him, he licked his lips and wondered how to deal with the situation. He looked at the man he thought was the leader and said, "We'd like to find a peaceful way out of this. The Sandomierz Militia are all over this place lice lice on a dog and we have a boat and artillery backing us up. You have the drop on us but all that gives you is a little leverage. Tell me what you want quickly and I'll try to make a deal for you. It needs to be quick, the militia are bringing up cages and they'll be here soon. How can we help you?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 731 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 4 Jun 2008
at 19:44
Paydirt or Fool's Gold

The unidentified squad halts at about 40m but continue to point their rifles at the K-team. Since none of them wear visible rank insignia, the K-team can't pick out a leader until one of the fighters speaks up in reply to Mariusz's attempt at Parlay. The leader is innitially a bit confused about the K-team's identity and loyalties, but it's quickly determined all around that the respective groups are on the same side (i.e. Sando-ORMO).

"You'd better get out of here soon. We're firing the town. Wait! Do any of you know how to drive a hovercraft? We found one in that warehouse." he adds, pointing back the way they'd come.

Those on board the tug have back-row seats to the events on shore. It's tense for a few moments until the two parties involved begin chatting amicably.

Minh and Jason, with the help of young Luboslaw, ready one of the Zodiacs. They climb aboard the inflatable and Minh steers it towards the barge. Tying it to one of the rusting railings, they climb aboard and head for the barrels. The aroma wafting from therein illicits strong sense memories: weekends at the speedway; pumping gas at the Stop 'n' Go- days long since past before most fuel had to be distilled in the field. It's gasoline- the real deal. Sweet, sweet, juice.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:52, Wed 04 June 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 106 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 5 Jun 2008
at 00:20
Re: Paydirt or Fool's Gold
Stoner lets out the breath he's been holding and relaxes his grip on his weapon somewhat.

"Mariusz, ask them if they got the word that any gold found was to be turned over to us in payment for our services?" he tells the young warrior.


Stoner
AK-74, 5 magazines (1 used)
BG-15, 3 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag

Minh Quyen
 player, 225 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 5 Jun 2008
at 12:14
Re: Paydirt or Fool's Gold
"Try not to touch anything ok?" Quyen asks Jason (not in a condencending tone). "Just stand on one spot and not move around ok? We might get barbecued if it was trapped before they pulled out."

As she had done as a combat engineer, Minh looks for obvious signs of trapping. Then using utmost care, she feels around in hard to look spots with a slow and gentle hand. She won't disturb anything without following the search procedure she's been taught on each barrel.

Stopping halfway from her inspection she says, "This is making me nervous. Got a smoke to call my nerves?"

Minh
Dockside
Using Combat Engineer skills to inspect for boobytraps

This message was last edited by the player at 12:16, Thu 05 June 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 406 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 5 Jun 2008
at 13:23
Re: Paydirt or Fool's Gold
Cap'n Rae:
The unidentified squad halts at about 40m but continue to point their rifles at the K-team. Since none of them wear visible rank insignia, the K-team can't pick out a leader until one of the fighters speaks up in reply to Mariusz's attempt at Parlay. The leader is innitially a bit confused about the K-team's identity and loyalties, but it's quickly determined all around that the respective groups are on the same side (i.e. Sando-ORMO).

"You'd better get out of here soon. We're firing the town. Wait! Do any of you know how to drive a hovercraft? We found one in that warehouse." he adds, pointing back the way they'd come.

Actions?
Robert lets the tense situation ease off as they find out that the squad is on their side.  He exhales loudly closing his eyes and rubbing his face with relief.  "Jesus H. Christ!  I think I pooped a little!  Those guys scared the hell outta us!  Tell him we'll check the hovercraft out!  Maybe we can get some useful shit off of it!  I doubt they had time to fix it after we damaged it leaving in a hurry like we did."

Tucker
Slung weapon
Wanting to check out the Hovercraft

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 248 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 5 Jun 2008
at 16:18
Re: Paydirt or Fool's Gold
Mariusz smiled and said, "It's OK, leave the hovercraft to us, if we can move it, we'll bring it back to Sandomierz for salvage. Did your Bosses tell you that half of the weapons salvaged and any gold discovered were ours as part of our payment?"
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 145 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Fri 6 Jun 2008
at 00:06
Aft Dushka

Clarence takes a quick peek at the shore and sees nothing alarming. Regardless, he passes Dawid's message along like a good warrant officer.

"Yo, major! Dawid needs you up front. He says somethin's goin' down on shore."

Having played his modest part in the tug's chain of command, Clarence returns to scanning the area downstream for potential surprises of the nasty variety and hoping that the rest of the crew is alive and well.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:06, Fri 06 June 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 657 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 6 Jun 2008
at 00:46
Re: Aft Dushka
Bayer continues an on edge stance with his weapon pointed only slightly down. He eyes them suspiciously with little trace of trust. "Ja. We are leaving as soon as we collect the part of our agreement." he assures them.

Then speaking softly to his companions adds, "What do we have so far? Lets keep looking."
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 108 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 6 Jun 2008
at 02:18
On the shore
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer continues an on edge stance with his weapon pointed only slightly down. He eyes them suspiciously with little trace of trust. "Ja. We are leaving as soon as we collect the part of our agreement." he assures them.

Then speaking softly to his companions adds, "What do we have so far? Lets keep looking."


Nudging the hobo pack with his boot, Dave replies, "Half a dozen loaded 5.45 Bloc magazines and grenades, three loaded 7.62 S magazines. Some miscelanious jusnk, ciggarettes, knife, canteen."

"Maruisz, how much time we have before they torch the place?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 727 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 6 Jun 2008
at 11:33
Re: On the shore
Lacking information on what was happening on shore, and indeed elsewhere on the tug, Dawid continued to aim at (what looked to him) like a group confronting the shore party.

He also wondered if this was some kind of double-cross by Sandomierz, and if so was he going to get plugged by the ORMO beside him. Oh well, he would trust to God and his comrades to see things worked out.

Breathing to calm himself from the effects of the last the fight receded and now from the new tension he felt rising, he made sure he wasn't going to open fire until someone did something to warrant an action.

82mm Vasilek (3/5 HE)
Aiming for Opportunity Fire

[Private to Anneka Soleblume: No problem, Dawid just gave the SITREP  and then hung up. He probably didn't even wait for an answer and certainly didn't know who would be on the other end when he started speaking.]
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 249 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 6 Jun 2008
at 15:34
Re: On the shore
Mariusz looked over at the Russians again and asked, "How long before you need to torch this section? If you want you can go on and do another area and we'll burn this lot down when we've finished here."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 189 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 6 Jun 2008
at 15:35
Re: On the shore
Griet checked the Dushka once more and then continued to check the area for potential enemies.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 735 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 6 Jun 2008
at 21:17
Eureka!

On the barge, Minh's caution pays off. She takes her time working from the outermost barrels towards the center of the cluster, searching for booby traps with her eyes and hands. She has to climb atop and across several of the barrels to check them all and the manouver is incredibly nerve fraying. Peering down, between the two of the innermost barrels (they're clustered together in a tight-packed bunch), she finds a dead-man's trigger*- a pressure release activated detonator, attached to a small block of plastique. It works like the spoon on a hand grenade- as long as it is depressed, the grenade will not detonate; as soon as it is released, however, it will explode. This make-shift bomb, however would do a whole lot more damage than a hand grenade, no doubt immolating any vessel attempting to help itself to the gasoline.

[Private to Minh Quyen: +1 XP to observation.]

On shore, the Sando-ORMO squad-leader responds,

"Hell no. We have our orders and there's no time to muck about. We're firing the dockside buildings now. Check the hovercraft. If you can get it to run, good; if not, we'll torch it too. Let's go.

At Mariusz's mention of gold, the squad-leader does not respond directly but instead mutters, <i>"Fucking capitalist mercenaries..." under his breath as he turns and walks back to the warehouse.

Besides the 52 rounds of 12.7mm ammo, the team finds nothing else of value along the shore. They reluctantly follow the Sando-ORMO squad back to the warehouse and enter its large, open interior. The hovercraft sits low on deflated skirts in the middle of the concrete floor like an overweight and sickly toad. Spare parts and tools lay strewn around it. The air is heavy with the smell of oil and gasoline. The hovercraft appears to have sustained enough damage in the last fight to have been held out of this one, although, aside from a little scoring and scorched paint, there's no obvious external damage.

Actions?

OOC: *I don't know if this is a correct name for the triggering mechanism I've described. I just remember seeing it in a G.I. Joe Special Missions comic book when I was 11 and it's stuck with me.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 204 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Fri 6 Jun 2008
at 23:31
Re: Eureka!
Watching with extreme caution, Jason stands back as Minh searches for traps.

"Sorry I dont smoke. I might take it up after this, however".

As Minh finds the deadmans trigger, he inches a few steps closer.

"What do we do?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 624 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 14:22
Re: Eureka!
Although Minh and Jason were without a radio, it was evident from their body language that they'd at first found something very, very valuable, and then very, very dangerous. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure either one out either....
More than a little concerned about the potential for catastrophe, Anneka called out a suggestion for Milk to relay through to Adam.
"Better back away from the barge another hundred yards or so. Looks a little dangerous over there."
[Private to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski: Not to worry. I won't bother replying IC now as the situation is well in the past.]
Minh Quyen
 player, 226 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 15:52
Re: Eureka!
Quyen holds up a hand while staring at the trigger, "Wait. Could be more." she cautions. "Keeps us occupied with this one and trip another carelessly."

She didn't have a radio, nor did Jason. "How about this. I look for more booby-traps while you report back to the tug that we've a goldmine here. If we take it, we should load up a soon as possible before someone else stakes a claim."

Pointing at the device she adds, "Tell the major we've two options. Try to disarm this or not. Leaving it be means that we are guaranteed to get all but two barrels. Disarm it means we get it all, but I might die. Up to her and Bayer. If they want it though, I'm going to need the demo kit."

Assuming Jason agrees and leaves, Quyen will continue to check the remainder of the barrels for additional traps. She uses the same, careful search technique.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 658 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 16:02
Re: Eureka!
Bayer points at the craft, "Stoner. you know boats, see what you can do. Tuck, check the craft for 30mm ammo or anything else of use. Mariusz, check the rest of the warehouse."

He looks back over his shoulder at the ORMO. He wasn't happy. News from the tug reported casualties, and the shore party had come up with a pitiful collection of booty. This battle was suppose to bring the team out ahead, with more than just gaining a friendly (or neutral) base on the river... they were suppose to replenish their mortar ammo and trade stores.

"Anything?" he asks impatiently (not with the team, but the situation). "Can this thing be towed or will it sink without being inflated."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 250 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 16:10
Re: Eureka!
Mariusz moved carefully around the warehouse looking for booty.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 111 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 16:19
Re: Eureka!
Konrad Bayer:
"Anything?" he asks impatiently (not with the team, but the situation). "Can this thing be towed or will it sink without being inflated."


Dave climbs in the cockpit of the hovercraft and studies the controls.

"Give me a minute, boss. This thing's half boat and half aircraft, and everything is in Russian. I'm going to puch some buttons and pull some knobs, please keep you're fingers and toes and any other appendages you value away from any moving parts."
With that, Dave start trying any buttons or switches that might be a starter switch, thinking about what he knows about boats, and what he's seen of cockpit operations from his numerous helicopter flights.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 659 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 16:30
Re: Eureka!
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz moved carefully around the warehouse looking for booty.


"You can speak Russian ja? Can you read it too?" he asks the young man. "If there is nothing here worth taking, get in and help Stoner please."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 251 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 17:57
Re: Eureka!
Mariusz heard Bayer's suggestion, tt probably wouldn't be tolstoy or Dostoyevsky, but it would probably be shorter. He finished his turn around the warehouse, picking up anything he thought might be useful, dumped it in a crate and jumped into the cockpit to translate the instructions.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 113 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 20:40
Re: Eureka!
As Mariusz climbs in the cockpit with him, Stoner tells him "Look for something that says Power, then Fuel, then Ignition or Start, and we'll see if we can make this baby fly."
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 146 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 21:10
Aft Dushka

Milk dutifully relays Anneka's message to the bridge and, within a few moments, the tug begins backing further away from the barge. From the various bits and pieces he's overheard, Milk puts two and two together- the mysterious barrels probably contain fuel of some kind but, considering Anneka's request, they've probably been tampered with in some fashion. Seeing as it's been quiet for some time now, he decides to exchange proper SITREPs with the ground team. Momentarily releasing the handles of the Dushka, he lifts the handset of his radio and places a call to Konrad.


Sunray, Pitchfork. We've found a stockpile of juice but it looks like it's been booby trapped.
We have two casualties- Buddha and Chopper- plus a couple of local ORMO, all KIA. Looks like Chopper was playing for the other team. What's your SITREP? OVER

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 190 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 21:23
Re: Aft Dushka
As Griet heard the situation with the fuel in the barrels she turned to Anneka and said, "If they can get all but two barrels off without causing and explosion, they should, as foe the last two barrels if we have enough containers, we can just siphon the fuel off and have done with it. Do you want me to track something down we could use?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 407 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 7 Jun 2008
at 23:02
Re: Eureka!
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer points at the craft, "Stoner. you know boats, see what you can do. Tuck, check the craft for 30mm ammo or anything else of use. Mariusz, check the rest of the warehouse."
Tucker slings his rifle and makes sure his Browning HP is in hand and ready to go as he moves into the hovercraft after Stoner.  He begins his search in the obvious weapon stations and then works his way back to the smaller compartments.

Tucker
Browning HP
Checking the hovercraft for 'goodies'
Konrad Bayer
 player, 660 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 8 Jun 2008
at 04:37
Re: Aft Dushka
Clarence Milk:

Sunray, Pitchfork. We've found a stockpile of juice but it looks like it's been booby trapped. We have two casualties- Buddha and Chopper- plus a couple of local ORMO, all KIA. Looks like Chopper was playing for the other team. What's your SITREP? OVER


Bayer toggles his radio, "Sunray SITREP. Located in large warehouse near river. All ok. Collecting supplies and inspecting hovercraft. No enemy around... some Sando Russians though. Will be moving out shortly back to tug. May need tug to tow hovercraft, will confirm. Out"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 626 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 8 Jun 2008
at 08:18
Re: Aft Dushka
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #384):
"No, stay at your station until further notice."
There were few enough of them on watch as it was with the sounds of battle still echoing around them. Although the Sando forces were apparently victorious, there may still be a few diehard defenders holed up ready to snipe at the unwary.

"Let the Hauptman know that we're unable to assist at this time please Milk."
The extremely dangerous situation on the barge had to be dealt with before they could risk travelling any further upstream. The bow wave of the tug might be enough to set off the booby trapped barrels if whoever had set the charges had been sneaky. Until they heard exactly what the set up was, they had to assume the worst. Pressure & tilt switches, command detonation, timers - all were options until ruled out.
[Private to Cap'n Rae; Jason Kasparov; Minh Quyen: With a US SF soldier having been in command of the town and it's defenders for a while, and the value of the fuel, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of the booby trap being booby trapped!
Provided there is no provision for command detonation, or it's on a timer of some type, it shouldn't be too difficult to recover all of the fuel with an investment of time and plenty of patience. With a little luck, it's just the pressure switch which is relatively easy and quick to disarm.
]
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 736 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 8 Jun 2008
at 22:03
A Bird in the Hand

The hovercraft's cockpit is cramped, dimly lit, and musty, and blood stains can just be made out on the dark, cracked leather of the pilot's seat. Stoner, with Mariusz's linguistics help, presses buttons, turns knobs, and flicks switches, all in an attempt to start the hovercraft. They succeed in getting a few warning lights to blaze brightly and several needles on gauges to swing slowly to life, but nothing much else. In fact, most of the lights and dials seem to indicate numerous systems malfunctions. It's likely that the old skimmer was in the midst of a bit of an overhaul when the attack on the town began and that several key components were disabled in order to effect repairs. So, the hovercraft will not be leaving the warehouse under its own power any time soon.

Tucker finds little in the way of weapons or ammunition on board. From several spent cartridges and disintegrating links he finds in various nooks and crannies, it appears that the hovercraft at one time housed a veritable arsenal. By the starboard gunner's seat- just to the right of the pilot's station, Tucker finds blood- still sticky- splattered on the walls and ceiling, likely evidence of Dawid's good shooting with the tug's own AGL. The skimmer's smaller weapons (LMGs and AGLS) were probably removed to be used elsewhere during the hovercraft's convalescence. In the main turret, just aft of the crew compartment, Tucker finds that the gunner's sights have been dismantled. The coaxial PKT has been unloaded and the main 30mm gun is empty as well. Everything armaments-wise that could have been used elsewhere has been removed and taken away leaving the hovercraft without a sting.

The Sando-ORMO squad leader reenters the buidling from the landward side, a thermite grenade in his hand. Finding Konrad he demands impatiently,

"Well, can you get it started or not? The town is burning and the militia is pulling out now. I have my orders."

On the barge, Minh continues searching for additional booby traps while Jason* heads back to the Krolowa in the Zodiac. He successfully makes the short journey without incident and relays Minh's message to Anneka. As the involuntarily grounded pilot describes the situation to the Israeli medic, the Sando-ORMO liaison officer pops his head out of the bridge and shouts [in Polish],

"The attack commander orders an immediate general withdrawal. We leave now!"

Those still on board the tug can clearly see that most of Tarnobrzeg, despite the steady, cold rain, is well ablaze. Large clouds of thick, black smoke hang ominously over the town and those on the tug can smell the burning.

Everyone on deck is soaked through and chilled almost to the bone. It is around 1630 hrs and, on a day like today, it will be getting dark soon.

Actions?

*NPCed for this round

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:10, Sun 08 June 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 114 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 9 Jun 2008
at 01:01
Re: A Bird in the Hand
Dave crawls out of the destroyed craft. "Hey, Captain" he calls out, "Either this things deader than shit, or I just ain't pushing her buttons right. We can't get her to fire up."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 661 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 9 Jun 2008
at 03:17
Re: A Bird in the Hand
Cap'n Rae:
"Well, can you get it started or not? The town is burning and the militia is pulling out now. I have my orders."


"No... very well." Bayer says to the NCO. "My comrades cannot help tow this machine at this point anyways*."

OOC - Assuming Milk relayed Anneka's call.

He then nods to Stoner and Mariusz to exit the hovercraft. "Good try men." he says quietly. Bayer then leads them out of the warehouse back towards the shore. He is clearly disappointed by their lack of weapons and supplies. A street thug's knife is all we got... he thinks.

"Starlight, Sunray. Returning to shoreline. Request pickup, over." he says into his radio.

OOC - Can the shore team see Quyen?
Minh Quyen
 player, 227 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 9 Jun 2008
at 10:57
Re: A Bird in the Hand
Quyen sits atop one of the cleared barrels of fuel and watches the Krolowa in the distance. She hoped her search was complete and she didn't missed any second traps. Here she will wait until the inflatable returns.
[Private to Anneka Soleblume; Cap'n Rae; Jason Kasparov; Konrad Bayer: Sure disarming is relatively easy to narrate, but in the end it works with the role of the dice. Quyen made two choices because thats how she see's it... not risking her life over two barrels is an option to her. She mentioned it as she hopes those who will make the decision take it into consideration - as in, what is it worth?]

This message was last edited by the player at 10:58, Mon 09 June 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 731 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 9 Jun 2008
at 12:31
Bow Vasilek Position
Seeing no threats at the moment, Dawid reloaded the Vasilek's magazine with a few rounds of 82mm HE.

He still manned the Vasilek but lit a cigarette, offering one to the surviving ORMO.

82mm Vasilek (5/5 HE)
On Overwatch (Aiming for Opportunity Fire)

This message was last edited by the player at 12:31, Mon 09 June 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 410 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 9 Jun 2008
at 14:35
Ground Team at Hovercraft
Tucker emerges from the hovercraqft and secures his pistol back into its holster on his MOLLE gear.  "Negative on weapons and ammo Konrad.  They picked it clean before we came back.  Looks like we did a number on 'em though with our own weapons if that's any conselation?"

When all are ready, Tucker follows back to their pick-up point.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:00, Mon 09 June 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 662 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 9 Jun 2008
at 15:32
Re: Bow Vasilek Position
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"Negative on weapons and ammo Konrad.  They picked it clean before we came back.  Looks like we did a number on 'em though with our own weapons if that's any consdelation?"</DarkGreen>


Bayer nods an acknowledgment, "Thanks Tuck."

Konrad Bayer:
"Starlight, Sunray. Returning to shoreline. Request pickup, over."


He then depresses the transmit but a moment after, "Hovercraft located. Out of action and Sando preparing to destroy it. Confirm your last... cannot immediately tow? Over."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 254 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 9 Jun 2008
at 19:24
Hovercraft's Warehouse
Mariusz agreed with Bayer's assessment that there was little use waiting to be burned if the Tug couldn't get in close enough to tow the bloody think. As he was about to get ready to leave, an idea hit him, a memory from before the war, "Kaptain," he said to Bayer, "when I was in school, a hovercraft from the Naval Infantry came to our Gymnasium on a propoganda mission. The marine said that the skirts of the hovercraft were made of a substance similar to what the Americans used for body armour. They are bolted on but if we are quick, would it be possible to take some of it back to the tug boat? It might be useful to armour the sick bay or weapons store."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 738 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 9 Jun 2008
at 21:20
Overcraft Hangar (GM supplemental)

As the ground team hesitates to leave the shelter of the warehouse for the cold rain pouring down off of its eaves, another Sando-ORMO man enters through the doors at the other end of the building. They probably wouldn't have noticed him but for the manner of his entrance. The militia squad leader attempts to speak to him but he literally brushes the man aside, the newcomer's well-built 6'2" frame nearly knocking the other to the ground. The newcomer wears West German fatigue trousers and an East German fatigue blouse topped by an ubiquitous black watch cap and carries a suppressed rifle of Western make.

Ignoring the protestations of the ORMO leader, the tall man strides past the hovercraft purposefully, stopping at arms length from Konrad and the others. In lightly accented American English (Stoner and Chopper recognize it as a back-country variation of "Old South"), he addresses the group,

"Master Sergeant Sam McCoy, OD-11, United States Special Forces. Up until about an hour ago, I was working with the Sandomierz 'militia'. Those dumb shits can't tell their elbows from their assholes and their little rampage in town just now was unexcusable. I just tendered my resignation. Since you guys seem to be the nearest NATO unit, I'm hereby reporting for duty."

OOC: Welcome back Law. You're now back in play. I hope I did your new PC justice.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 147 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Mon 9 Jun 2008
at 21:25
Aft Dushka
Konrad Bayer:
He then depresses the transmit but a moment after, "Hovercraft located. Out of action and Sando preparing to destroy it. Confirm your last... cannot immediately tow? Over."


Roger that, Starlight. Will advise actual. Standby.

Lowering the handset, Milk turns and shouts to Anneka,

"Major, they've found the IPAT hovercraft but it's outta action and the ORMO are gonna to destroy it unless we can tow it out right now. You'd better get back here and talk to him."
Minh Quyen
 player, 228 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 10 Jun 2008
at 06:27
Re: Aft Dushka
After a few minutes of sitting on top of one of the barrels of fuel, Quyen gets down and carefully makes her way back to the boobytrap. She will inspect it without toughing the device.

OOC - Quyen will use 'Combat Engineer' to determine the difficulty it will be to disarm (aided by the eng demo kit).
Konrad Bayer
 player, 663 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 10 Jun 2008
at 08:42
Re: Overcraft Hangar (GM supplemental)
Cap'n Rae:
Ignoring the protestations of the ORMO leader, the tall man strides past the hovercraft purposefully, stopping at arms length from Konrad and the others. In lightly accented American English (Stoner and Chopper recognize it as a back-country variation of "Old South"), he addresses the group,

"Master Sergeant Sam McCoy, OD-11, United States Special Forces. Up until about an hour ago, I was working with the Sandomierz 'militia'. Those dumb shits can't tell their elbows from their assholes and their little rampage in town just now was unexcusable. I just tendered my resignation. Since you guys seem to be the nearest NATO unit, I'm hereby reporting for duty."


Bayer nods in an understanding manor regarding the man's frustration. The attack had seemed to turn to mob action, the town was being needlessly razed, and the militia were generally unprofessional. "Hauptmann Bayer, German Army... these are my companions Sergeant Tucker, Stoner and Tokarski." he says.

The news of the casualties aboard the Krolowa and the need for more manpower is still fresh... however, so is the news of hearing of a betrayal among a recently recruited addition to the team. He thinks for moment, studying the American, then says, "We are in need of more men ja. Men who can operate heavy weapons and the common duties of soldiers. You can do this I am sure?"

Bayer adds, "So... yes, if by what you ask - is to join our unit. However, I am under the command of a non-military employer and cannot make such decisions alone. He is aboard our ship. Permanent changes to the unit roster are to be finalized with him. He is aware of our manpower issue... so I am sure he will agree. I will support your request."

He glances over at his companions for their reaction to McCoy's request. They hadn't yet been told of the betrayal by the last recruit. "Let's go to the riverside. I radioed the tug for pickup... they will be waiting." At the riverside, he planned on telling them the news of the fallen and those responsible.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:45, Tue 10 June 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 632 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 10 Jun 2008
at 13:56
Re: Overcraft Hangar (GM supplemental)
"Sunray, wait one," she called back her message for Milk to relay.
The sight of Jason returning alone both heartened and concerned her. Obviously there was a problem over on the dredge, but why had the pilot returned?

"How long to disarm?" she asked Jason after his short briefing of the situation. Just taking most of the fuel and leaving the two barrels holding the switch wasn't going to be an option. A live explosive underneath roughly four hundred litres of fuel was a disaster just waiting to happen.

Without waiting for a reply, she called once more to Milk, "Tell Sunray we may be able to assist in approximately ten minutes."
But on the other hand, they could need ten hours and a couple of bodybags....
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 739 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 10 Jun 2008
at 21:34
Pyromania

At the metallic clatter of Mariusz plunking down a box of scrounged tools on the concrete floor, Konrad turns his face away from McCoy and sees the Sando-ORMO splashing some sort of accelerant (probably methanol) around the interior of the warehouse. The leader, thermite grenade in hand, stands poised to ignite the building and the tarnished prize it contains.

Konrad's radio crackles to life,

"Sunray, I believe the major wants to take the skimmer. She says we can assist in 10 minutes. OVER.

Meanwhile, on the barge, Minh gives the pressure release trigger a closer look. It's a rather simple device and it will probably take no more than a few minutes to disarm. It's really just a matter of cutting the wires bewteen the trigger and the detonator. The IPAT were probably counting on potential fuel thieves being careless and neglecting to inspect the liquid gold mine for traps. She rises to her knees atop the barrels and points to her left wrist before holding up both hands with fingers spread, signalling "This will take ten minutes." If she's successful, however, loading the salvaged fuel aboard the tug will take considerably longer.

[Private to Minh Quyen: In Minh's estimation, based on her skill level, she believes the task of deactivating the trap to be of "average" difficulty(according to the v2.2 rules). It's your call. I will roll the dice if you decide to risk it.]

With only what amounts to basic sentry duty to occupy them, Dawid and Griet shiver with cold, every inch of them soaking wet. Dawid has only his soggy, slow-burning cigarette to distract him from his misery. Although not quite as miserable (yet), Milk too is getting wet, cursing the unpatched awning overhead.

Actions?
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 412 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 10 Jun 2008
at 21:56
Re: Pyromania
Konrad Bayer:
Cap'n Rae:
Ignoring the protestations of the ORMO leader, the tall man strides past the hovercraft purposefully, stopping at arms length from Konrad and the others. In lightly accented American English (Stoner and Chopper recognize it as a back-country variation of "Old South"), he addresses the group,

"Master Sergeant Sam McCoy, OD-11, United States Special Forces. Up until about an hour ago, I was working with the Sandomierz 'militia'. Those dumb shits can't tell their elbows from their assholes and their little rampage in town just now was unexcusable. I just tendered my resignation. Since you guys seem to be the nearest NATO unit, I'm hereby reporting for duty."


Bayer nods in an understanding manor regarding the man's frustration. The attack had seemed to turn to mob action, the town was being needlessly razed, and the militia were generally unprofessional. "Hauptmann Bayer, German Army... these are my companions Sergeant Tucker, Stoner and Tokarski." he says.
Tucker smile a little and extends his hand to shake the Special Forces Trooper.  "Robert Tucker.  Most everyone just calls me Tuck.  Nice ta meet ya Sarge!"

Cap'n Rae:
At the metallic clatter of Mariusz plunking down a box of scrounged tools on the concrete floor, Konrad turns his face away from McCoy and sees the Sando-ORMO splashing some sort of accelerant (probably methanol) around the interior of the warehouse. The leader, thermite grenade in hand, stands poised to ignite the building and the tarnished prize it contains.

Konrad's radio crackles to life,

"Sunray, I believe the major wants to take the skimmer. She says we can assist in 10 minutes. OVER.
Tucker stands by to see what Konrad wants to do before the militia begins to torch the warehouse.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 116 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 10 Jun 2008
at 22:40
Re: Pyromania
"Hey Sam, I'm Dave", he says with a smile and a nod. His smile grows even larger as he remarks "Special Forces? I've seen uglier Girl Scouts, but damned if you're not the biggest."

He looks over at the Sando ORMO guy and commands "You there! Stop! We'll take care of this building when we're finished." If the man looks or acts like he doesn't understand, Dave will politely ask Mariusz to translate.
Sam McCoy
 player, 25 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 10 Jun 2008
at 23:44
Re: Pyromania
"Hey Thanks for the invite Captain .I have been having a hard time of as late. I was with these guys for most of the summer and then went over to the Sando-ORMO after the major here went fucking crazy. I will be able too talk more but there is nothing stopping these dumb shits there burning, raping and killing all and we are too small to stop it. But, there is a prize outside: about 25 to 30; 55 gallon drums of high grade gas....!! And these dumbasses dont know it's here. But, we have to get moving before they find it. Also, the major did not put up much fight here- he's coming back and he's fucking crazy and he will kill all these guys and hang them from lamp posts. He must have been gone raiding because we did not hit much here."


"Hey thanks Dave and Sarge, hope to help.. but we need to get the fuck out of here if we dont want to fry."



Sam
M25
Talking

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:01, Wed 11 June 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 634 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 11 Jun 2008
at 00:38
Re: Pyromania
Grinning broadly that her estimation had been correct, Anneka signaled back confirmation she'd received Minh's message.
"Milk, please inform Adam that the river should be clear in approximately ten minutes. We will then proceed to the Hauptmans position and take the hovercraft under tow."

"Kasparov," she yelled down to the pilot. "Gather what equipment you'll need and head back to Minh. Once the trap has been dealt with, rig the barrels for loading directly onto the tug. We'll head upstream, take the hovercraft under tow and come back for you."

Hopefully recovering the hovercraft would be completed fairly quickly so the need to operate under lights while loading barrels would be minimised.

"Did you hear that Clarence? Please pass it on through the intercom."
"Better tell Sunray it's more likely to be 15 to 20 minutes."

Ten minutes to disarm and then another 5 to 10 minutes to head upstream to their location. Time which while limited, would be filled with preparations.

"Oh, one more thing. It might be best to disembark the ORMO reps when we reach the hovercraft. Let them rejoin their units before they see how much, or even what's in the barrels."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:24, Thu 12 June 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 734 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 11 Jun 2008
at 13:56
Bow Position
Cold and wet starting to get to him, Dawid sighed and shivered. He took off his verst, pulled on his sweater and his heavier jacket.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 666 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 11 Jun 2008
at 14:55
Re: Bow Position
Bayer acknowledges Milk's relayed message of a 10 minute wait. Then stepping forward he says aloud in English, "Here. We are almost finished. Give my NCO the grenade and I'll ensure the building is destroyed. We need a couple more minutes, you can head out and consider the job here done." He looks over his shoulder and flicks his hand to gesture Mariusz to translate.

Bayer's head lifts up at the mention of the fuel. "Gas?" he asks, "Real gasoline? Where?" After listening to its location, he jabs his thumb against the radio transmit button, "Starlight, Sunray. Benzinkraftstoff ist hier... auf einem Lastkahn*. Need you to advance to secure." In German, as Anneka was fluent.

*Gasoline fuel is here... on a barge.

OOC - Further action regarding the hovercraft will be dependent on the response of the Militia.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:57, Wed 11 June 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 255 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 11 Jun 2008
at 15:40
Re: Bow Position
Mariusz nodded in acknowledgement of Bayer's order and said, "My Kaptain asks you to give the grenade to our NCO. We will burn the place when we finish here."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 191 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 11 Jun 2008
at 15:42
Port Dushka
Griet remained patiently at her position. She scanned the shoreline hoping not to find any snipers or returning IPAT troopers.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 148 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Wed 11 Jun 2008
at 18:05
Re: Pyromania
Anneka Soleblume:
"Did you hear that Clarence? Please pass it on through the intercom."
"Better tell Sunray it's more likely to be 15 to 20 minutes."


Unable to mask his frustration with playing go-between, Clarence curtly replies,

"Yes major."

With that, Milk dutifully relays Anneka's instructions to both the bridge/Vasilek gun-tub and the shore party.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:07, Wed 11 June 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 26 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 11 Jun 2008
at 21:01
Re: Pyromania
"I'm not doing shit right now do you need me to do anything??? Capt,?"


Sam
M25
Talking
Minh Quyen
 player, 232 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 12 Jun 2008
at 00:59
Re: Pyromania
When Jason returns on the inflatable (with or without the demo kit?), she meets him on the edge of the barge. After securing a line to fasten the two craft together, she says to the him, "What is the word from the tug?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:01, Thu 12 June 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 639 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 12 Jun 2008
at 04:11
Re: Pyromania
Realising that there's be a lot more radio messages for her to respond to, Anneka headed back to the communications hub that was the aft DShK position.
"Better swap positions with me for a bit," she said to Milk, acknowledging the mans eariler wisdom.

"Sunray, this is Starlight," she called over the radio once the swap was complete.
"Tug is delayed approximately ten minutes due to incendiary charge located on dredge barge."
"Can you confirm hovercraft is in your possession, over."

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 117 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 12 Jun 2008
at 13:11
Re: Pyromania
Anneka Soleblume:
"Sunray, this is Starlight," she called over the radio once the swap was complete.
"Tug is delayed approximately ten minutes due to incendiary charge located on dredge barge."
"Can you confirm hovercraft is in your possession, over."


Overhearing this, Dave tells Konrad "I know a little bit about explosives. You think I should go help?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 414 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 12 Jun 2008
at 15:36
Re: Pyromania
Tucker's expression changes when he hears the mention of gasoline.  "How much gas we talkin' about here?" he asks to Konrad
Jason Kasparov
 player, 205 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 12 Jun 2008
at 18:45
Dredging Barge
Minh Quyen:
When Jason returns on the inflatable (with or without the demo kit?), she meets him on the edge of the barge. After securing a line to fasten the two craft together, she says to the him, "What is the word from the tug?"


[NPCed]

Jason carefully climbs aboard the dredge and hands Minh the demo kit and a 1km short range radio.

"The major says she wants you to disarm the explosives. She says it's safer than leaving it there and unloading the other barrels- if we accidently bump something with the charge still live... boom!"

He pauses for a moment before reaching out and putting his hand on Minh's shoulder, his face etched with concern.

"You cool with this?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:52, Thu 12 June 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 743 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 12 Jun 2008
at 23:08
Hot, Hot, Hot!

As Konrad opens his mouth to respond to Stoner and Tucker, the Sando-ORMO squad leader barks an order to his men, who cease sloshing liquid about the building and head for the front(landward) entrance. The ORMO man then shouts at the Krolowa ground team,

"You had your chance; I have my orders. Now you'd best be leaving before this place gets too hot for you."

With a wink, he places the thermite grenade atop the hovercraft's powerplant and pulls the pin. He hops down, slips in a puddle of methanol and falls hard on his rear end, scrambles to his feet, and runs headlong for the exit. The grenade begins to smoke and sputter, soon bursting into a shower of incandescent sparks. Rivulets of fire drip down the hovercraft's flank, igniting the puddled methanol and sending white flames racing in wild patterns along the floor and up the walls.

Those on the tug can see a harsh glow begin to grow within the warehouse.

On the barge, Minh nervously- reluctantly, even- climbs back atop the barrels and makes her way to the center pair. As she prepares to reach down with a pair of insulated wire cutters to the base of the booby-trapped barrel and clip the tight bundle of wires between the pressure release and the detonator, her left, anchor hand slips from atop the rain-slicked barrel upon which she's perched, sending her lunging forward, completely off balance. Her probing right hand comes down hard on the trigger, pushing it almost free of the barrels.

In a barely controlled panic, Minh regains her balance and manages to keep hold of the clippers. She rights herself and looks down at the trigger. It's now poised precariously between the barrels. The slightest jostling could cause it to slip free, detonating the explosive charge and engulfing the barge, Jason, herself, and the moored Zodiac in a massive fireball. In fact, it may just slip out on its own, the outward pressure, slick metal, and curved barrel surfaces creating just the right conditions for the trigger to spring free.

Despite the cold and the wet, Minh is burning up, sweat mingling with the rain running down her uncharacteristically pale face.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:12, Thu 12 June 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 118 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 13 Jun 2008
at 01:26
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
"Sonofabitch! Out out out!" Dave yells as he watches the Sando-ORMO pull the pin on the grenade. Following his own advice, he scrambles for the door with the hobo pack of found ammo in his left hand and his weapon in his right. Once throught the door, he runs a distance to be safe in case the whole building blows.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:20, Fri 13 June 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 668 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 13 Jun 2008
at 01:55
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
Bayer wasn't about to shoot anyone over salvaging the hovercraft. "To hell with you and your orders." he says quietly as he watches the powerplant burn. Turning to his companions he nods in agreement to Stoner's suggestion to exit. "Withdraw to the barge. We can at least leave with that."

"Sergeant McCoy, show us the fuel depot please." he asks.

Toggling the radio he says, "Tug, Sunray. Cancel move to warehouse. Unable to secure hovercraft, option not possible. Consolidate on secondary objective at best time. Over."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 642 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 13 Jun 2008
at 04:46
Aft DShK
"Sunray, this is Starlight. Acknowledged. Suggest marrying up at my current location. Over."
There appeared now to be little need to progress past the fuel laden barge, however the charge aboard it still required disarming. With the apparent loss of the hovercraft, the fuel took up a far greater value than before, not to mention the danger to passing river traffic if they left it armed.

"Adam, change of plans," she said switching handsets to the intercom.
"The shore party should be meeting us somewhere near here shortly. I'd like to put the ORMO people ashore, pick up Konrad and his team and then go retrieve the fuel."
"Can you arrange a boat and driver for that?"

Anneka wasn't too keen on pulling Minh or Jason from the barge at this time for ferrying duty and even less inclined to have the ORMO aboard to see just what their prize was. Sure they must know it was fuel, but so far the only person to know just how much and what type was Minh. If the Sando forces hadn't recovered much of value themselves, you could count on them demanding a large portion of the valuable liquid gold.
[Private to GM: We've only got the one motor I believe for the small boats? I'm hoping that the current is slow enough to allow oars. Moving the tug a little closer to shore may help also.]
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 256 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 13 Jun 2008
at 11:09
Burning Warehouse
Mariuz shrugged as the Russian Non-Com fell on his butt. Slowly, he exited the warehouse, all the time memorising the faces of the Russian unit. If there was a chance to get even at some time, he'd take it with great relish. If there wasn't? Well life was too short for letting things fester. He left the warehouse and headed with the rest of the shore party toward the tug boat.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 192 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 13 Jun 2008
at 11:15
Port Dushka
Griet watched the dirty grey skeins of smoke blacken the sky. Yet another Polish town sang it's requiem to the crackle of flames and the music of war. From what she could ascertain, the salvaging hadn't gone well, she shrugged, that was the chance you took on this kind of mission and it was pointless worrying about it now.

They had the food and kit to fulfill Adam's mission now and a viper's nest had been eraddicated if they ever did want to return this way. Ammunition for their heavy weapons was still a major worry however but for now it was a worry that had to be shelved. She scanned the shore around her from behind the armoured shield of the heavy machinegun, ready to react should any hostiles appear.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 415 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 13 Jun 2008
at 14:25
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
Cap'n Rae:
As Konrad opens his mouth to respond to Stoner and Tucker, the Sando-ORMO squad leader barks an order to his men, who cease sloshing liquid about the building and head for the front(landward) entrance. The ORMO man then shouts at the Krolowa ground team,

"You had your chance; I have my orders. Now you'd best be leaving before this place gets too hot for you."

With a wink, he places the thermite grenade atop the hovercraft's powerplant and pulls the pin. He hops down, slips in a puddle of methanol and falls hard on his rear end, scrambles to his feet, and runs headlong for the exit. The grenade begins to smoke and sputter, soon bursting into a shower of incandescent sparks. Rivulets of fire drip down the hovercraft's flank, igniting the puddled methanol and sending white flames racing in wild patterns along the floor and up the
Tucker begins to smile when he watches the militia squad leader fall in the puddle of methanol and then scramble to get up and out of the warehouse.  He watches for a brief moment aas the grenade ignites and starts to burn before he turns to leave.


Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
"Sonofabitch! Out out out!" Dave yells as he watches the Sando-ORMO pull the pin on the grenade. Following his own advice, he scrambles for the door with the hobo pack of found ammo in his left hand and his weapon in his right. Once throught the door, he keeps running, following the ORMO squad leader.

After a reasaonably safe distance has passed, Dave plans on dropping the hobo pack and tackling the squad leader.
Hearing Konrad and Stoner give their warning of vacating the location, Tucker moves with a lot more effort not to get caught up in what's about to go 'BOOM'.  He waits with the rest of the shore party as Konrad calls for pick up from the tug.
Sam McCoy
 player, 28 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Fri 13 Jun 2008
at 21:35
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
"the fuel is on a barge tied up on this side of the river. Its trapped with a contact device that any 3d grader could take down. no problems there. the trap is just too keep amatures away. We will be able to walk there in 2 miniutes its just on the other side of this block."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 416 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 14 Jun 2008
at 02:34
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
Sam McCoy:
"the fuel is on a barge tied up on this side of the river. Its trapped with a contact device that any 3d grader could take down. no problems there. the trap is just too keep amatures away. We will be able to walk there in 2 miniutes its just on the other side of this block."
Tucker listens to the SF trooper as he explains about the fuel.  "Well, fortunately for us, we've got some skilled school kids on our side!  If it's only two blocks, let's take the walk and see what we can see!  If we can get some go-juice out of this, it beats what we found here in town."
Minh Quyen
 player, 233 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 14 Jun 2008
at 05:54
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
Quyen freezes and closes her eyes. She waits for a long while. She isn't even sure how long, but it must seem like forever for Jason as he waits. Calming herself, she collects the tool and stabilizes herself for balance. If she could, she would tell Jason to leave, take the inflatable and go and pick up the Hauptmann and the shore party or something. It wasn't worth dying for this... not for just sitting in a boat waiting.

After pausing long enough for her to calm herself, she carefully climbs back across the barrels to Jason. "Can't be done. Not by me. Maybe they will throw me in the brig... I dunno. Where's the Hauptmann? I need to talk before I am placed under arrest."

She sits down on the edge of the barge and slips a smoke into her mouth. She mimes the actions of lighting it, and pretends to drawn in make-believe smoke.

EDITED

[Private to GM: Why didn't I die? Is this a once in a lifetime freebee or was it because of the task difficulty? I am not complaining the slightest here.]

This message was last edited by the player at 18:53, Sat 14 June 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 206 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 14 Jun 2008
at 18:10
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
[NPCed]

Jason looks on, sweat dripping down his own face. He wishes he could do something to help. He wishes he could do the job for her. At least if the device went off, he and Minh would die together.

He wants to speak to her, to ask her what's going on and to give her encouragement and reassurance, but he dares not disturb her. Instead, he whispers into the borrowed 1km handheld,

"Major, something's gone wrong; I'm not sure what. I suggest we call this whole thing off. OVER."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 669 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 14 Jun 2008
at 19:27
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
Bayer waits by the door as the men in the shore detachment filter out. Placing an arm across Mariusz he says, "Let it go. We've still won."

Outside, he nods to McCoy to show them the barge. Looking to Stoner and Tucker he adds, "Keep an eye out. Lets not get surprised again. Not with what we are dealing with now."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 257 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 14 Jun 2008
at 20:01
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
"It's too hot around here anyway, Boss," Mariusz replied, letting his officer restrain him, "if there is to be any revenge, it's a dish best served cold. Shall we get to the riverside and see what has happened to the boat?"
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 119 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 14 Jun 2008
at 21:33
Re: Hot, Hot, Hot!
Dave follows the others to the shore, walking mostly backwards. He's pissed the ORMO guy almost torched them. Dave is keeping his mouth closed but looking at him you can see the anger in his eyes.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 747 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 14 Jun 2008
at 21:58
A Cold Shower

Minh crawls down from atop the clustered barrels knowing that at any second- with any slip or awkward shift of her weight- the pressure release trigger could spring loose, detonating the charge, resulting in a fiery death for her and Jason. She makes it to more solid footing and sits on the deck, having a pantomimed smoke and trying to gather herself. The very concerned chopper pilot, seeing Konrad and the others approaching the shore- the warehouse behind them beginning to burn- makes a snap judgement call,

"Don't worry about it Minh. You did your best. Come on, let's get off of this floating bomb."

He helps the shaken Minh get to her feet and into the Zodiac. They head to shore where the ground team awaits. The group loads the disappointing fruits of their battlefield sweep into the inflatable and the small vessel, nearly overloaded returns to the Krolowa, giving the dredge a wide berth.

The current is noticeably stronger now, after an hour's steady rain. The Krolowa is having to work harder to hold station. The dredge is beginning to bob and sway noticeably. Bits of debris washed into the river float by like refugees fleeing some impending disaster. The sun is sinking beneath the western horizon and the overcast hastens its flight from the sky. The burning town is now providing more light than the retreating sun, underlighting the low clouds and casting weird shadows over the river.

As the reunited tug security team exchanges somber greetings on the deck, they are startled by a loud bang, followed by a rushing sound, like gravel sliding down a long sheet of tin. A wave of heat washes over those standing on the tug's rain-slicked decks. The light of the burning town is momentarily eclipsed by a brilliant mushroom cloud of deep orange fire and thick black smoke as the gasoline cache aboard the dredge goes up in flames.

In the fear that the now fire-engulfed dredge has been cut loose to drift into them by the explosion, Adam and Walter quickly swing the Krolowa around 180 degrees and push her downriver in an attempt to outrace the danger.

And so begins the trip back to Sandomierz. The IPAT has been chased off but at what cost? Another Polish town razed, its small civilian population likely enslaved. One warlord has been made weaker so that another can grow stronger. The Krolowa's people, cold, wet, shaken by what they have seen and done, and not a little disappointed with what they have to show for their efforts, have much to talk about.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:19, Sun 15 June 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 121 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 03:15
Re: Cooling Off
Dave climbs on board the Krolowa and ses the bodies scattered everywhere and blood drenched decks. Jesus Christ, he thinks, what happened here?

After the rest of the inflatable boat's crew and passengers get out, he helps bting the small craft aboard. He stands by the boat, awaiting orders.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 671 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 03:51
Re: Cooling Off
Previously...

While waiting on the shore for the pickup, Bayer breaks the news. As they watch the tug holding its position on the river, he says quietly, "Mariusz, listen. There was an incident on the tug. I don't know the details, but Mr. Switek is gone now. He has fallen in battle." After a pause, adds even quieter, "Sorry."

Looking over his shoulder to Tucker and Stoner he adds, "As is Hicks."

Back aboard...

Bayer pushes the crew to save the exchanges of stories and conversation for later. His impatience however fails to pay off. When the barge blows, he watches it for a long time as the tug maneuvers into a safer position. "Whats done ist done. Lets move on and get back why we are here in the first place." he announces eventually.

The tug was still in hostile territory. He feared the team would lose focus and morale take a hit if they were left on their own... at least while there was still hours of light. "Milk. Take first watch please." he says.

Looking at the rest he left it up to them to carry out post battle drills. "Casualties need to be taken below and dealt with until a time for burial can occur. Weapons checked and cleaned. A damage report compiled for any required repairs. Get busy please, if you don't have a job - ask."

He wasn't trying to be impatient, heartless, or bossy. But he felt the team needed immediate focus until they were safely moored for the night. Exchanging stories and socializing should wait he thought.

Speaking quietly in German to Anneka he says, "Can you be certain Hick's was an agent. He was unstable. Could he have suffered a mental collapse? I am not sure I want the rumors of a betrayal to spread among the team if they are not accurate. Is there evidence or anything other than speculation?"

Giving a nod in the direction of McCoy, "Sergeant McCoy. We can discuss with our employer your joining the group very soon."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:53, Sun 15 June 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 122 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 12:10
Re: Cooling Off
Dave checks the stay behind crew to make sure there weren't any wounded that Anneka needed or wanted help with, then assists on moving the bodies. While moving Hicks he just shakes his head. Dave has seen men lose it before from stress, but this is the first time he's seen some one attack friends when they snapped.

After all this has been done, he cleans his AK and grenade launcher and examines the rifle he took from the wounded ORMO.(ref post # 246 of this thread) He cleans it, also, and adds it to the group's stockpile.

After all this, he finds Anneka and reports to her "I used three of the 40 mm HE grenades and one magazine. We also brought back six 5.45 magazines, three 7.62 S magazines, half a dozen frag grenades and this (Hefting the rifle)."


OOC: Rae, I don't even know what kind of rifle it is he took from the ORMO troop.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 258 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 13:24
Re: Cooling Off
Mariusz looked at he shattered body of his mentor and wept. The man who had rescued him from a life of servitude and opression and had taught him how to fight now lay, ripped and torn like so much offal at his feet.

Wracking sobs began to convulse his body but he fought them down. There was much to do now and the good Brother would not have approved of hystrionics. Switeck, Bear, Pulowski, Wolf, Anka, all the brothers and sisters of the partisan band marched away dead in front of his eyes. He reverently picked up party of the bloodied tarpaulin bundle that had been his friend and mentor and carried him into the tug's interior.

After he had settled his old leader comfortably he went out to help with the others. They had lost other comrades that day too. He helped carry Chopper to lay next to Brother Switek and began to wash down the deck of all the blood. He soaked up some of Brother Switeck's blood in a handkerchief and put it in a plastic bag.

As he worked he said, "I know it's not possible to go back to where we buried Bear but Brother Switek will need a suitable burial ground. We must check out the churches in Sandiomierz."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 193 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 13:30
Re: Cooling Off
Griet frowned as she heard and saw the gas trap go off. Such a waste. Still, she was alive and the tug was still continuing it's mission. She began policing up all of the brass that had spilled on deck in the fire fight, there was going to be a lot of it in buckets before the end of the day. Sandomierz made gunpowder so they might be useful to trade with the locals. It was about time they got an even break somewhere, the trading so far had gouged them for everything it could. They had enough stuff to save Adam's refugees when they reached Warsaw, it was true, but they had little or no munitions left to get them there.

Talk about a Phyrric victory, she thought. Adam had started with a large fortune and a large crew. Now he had a small fortune and a smaller crew, any more victories, she thought and we'll all be dead.

She bent her head and concentrated on scooping brass into the bucket. Focus on the moment, she thought, thinking just hurt.
Sam McCoy
 player, 29 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 14:50
Re: Cooling Off
"roger that Capt. Lead the way"


Sam
M25
Talking
Konrad Bayer
 player, 672 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 15:03
Re: Cooling Off
Sam McCoy:
"roger that Capt. Lead the way"


"Right." he says.

"NCOs keep on top of the work. Everyone stays occupied until we stop for the night." he says aloud. "I know everyone has worked hard and did their jobs well. But it isn't over. Keep on track of things until this evening. We will get a good rest later."

"Doctor... Chief" he says inviting Soleblume and Griet along. "Accompany us to the bridge if you wish."

In the wheelhouse he approaches Adam and goes through the same speech he has done several times now. "Sergeant McCoy, this is our employer, Captain Rataj. Adam... this man is Sam McCoy of United States Army. He is seeking to join our organization and I support this decision. He was formerly in the employ of T'Berg militia but resigned due to a clash of ethics and capability."

After receiving Adam's approval for Sam, he introduces Anneka and Griet.

He finishes with, "Our mission will take us to Warsaw."
Minh Quyen
 player, 234 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 15:55
Re: Cooling Off
Back aboard the Krolowa, Minh's unlit smoke is still dangling in her mouth. She reports to Anneka, "Barge trap can't be done. I can't get it done." If questioned, she will state that it wasn't as simple as they thought and everything shifted, making it even more difficult. And that she didn't have the experience for the device.

A short while later it detonates, and as it burns she finally lights her cigarette.

When the team started to busy themselves with post-battle duties, Quyen returned to the Vasilek. Picking up the RPK-74 she used in battle, she sits down on the deck and begins to clean it. She won't speak to anyone else unless they approach her.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 735 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 18:27
Re: Cooling Off
Seeing the battle was over and their people aboard, Dawid also tended to the bodies of the dead, dragging the body of the dead ORMO from the bow section to the stern with the others.

Dawid nodded at the shore party as they came aboard, and introduced himself to McCoy, yet another Foreigner joining the crew. The petrol burned in a slowly spreading slick, apparently, God had decided that they would use neither the fuel nor the hovercraft.

He grieved over Switek, the old patriot and once holy man. As well, there was another foreigner, Hicks, who would never go home now. Be he good or evil, his home would be Polish soil.

"...et cum spiritu tuo..."

Taking Rosay beads in hand, he said Last Rites over the former Monk and the Polish ORMO, making the natural assumption they were Catholic. He said them over Hicks as well, asking God to forgive his sins, suspecting the man had been insane and therefore not responsible for his actions.

"Kyrie eleison, Christie eleison, Kryie eleison..."

("Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have Mercy...")

The deck shuddered as the boat's engines went to Full Speed Ahead, trying to outrace the flames.

He asked Anneka, "I heard some shooting during the battle. It sounded like a pistol, not a rifle. Tell me, what happened here?"

This message was last edited by the player at 18:47, Sun 15 June 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 30 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 18:40
Re: Cooling Off
"Well, the big thing for me is I need a ride up river and will work for it. I do have a stop we might want to make; I have some gear stashed away- its a small amount but everything counts out here. And it can help pay my way.

"I'm a member of the now dead 10 SF Group out of Germany. I was the team sergeant for team 011. The guy we just attacked was the commander of 1st battalion of the group and had gone utterly mad. The long story short, he started to kill people that did not agree with him. So, I left in the middle of the night and fled to these guys who I had been training to defend themselves for the last 3 months. Then they came to me and said 'we will attack tommorow'. Well, we had not trained to do that and things went wrong. Then it truned into a rape-fest and that's when I quit.

"But, to help you out we do need to leave the area. The Major will be back and he will want to kill. Also, I don't trust Sando so its best we take what we have and run. There is more downstream, trust me. I have been a partisan in these woods since October of 1996 so it should help. I have connections and contacts here."

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:19, Sun 15 June 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 737 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 19:06
Re: Cooling Off
Sam McCoy:
" Well the big thing for me is I need a ride up river and will work for it. I do have a stop we might want to make; I have some gear stashed away its a small amount but every thing counts out here. And it can help pay my way. I'm a Member of the now dead 10 SF Group out of Germany. I was the team sergeant for team 011. The guy we just attacked was the commander of 1st battalion of the group and had gone utter mad. The long story short, He started to kill people that did not agree with him. So I left in the middle of the night and fled to these guys who I had been training to defend themselfs for the last 3 months. Then they came to me and said we will attack tommorow. Well we had not trained to do that and things went wrong. Then It truned into a rape fest and thats when I quit. But to help you out we do need to leave the area. The Major will be back and he will want to kill. also I dont trust sando so its best we take what we have and run. There is more down stream trust me. I have been a partisan in these woods since oct of 1996. so it should help I have connections and contacts here."


Dawid smiled, offering the man a cigarette and some wodka from his canteen.

"Sam, it is good to have men of your character helping the Polish people."

"I am Plutinowy (Sergeant) Dawid Waldus Piotrowski, serving in the Armija Krajina (Home Army) and answering to the Polish Government-in-Exile, which your Special Forces have assisted many times. So I know of you and appreciate the help you have given our homeland to remain free. I believe that Mister Clarence Milk is a "brother" of yours, also in your Special Forces, although he was assigned to advise some Solidarność partisans (civilian guerrillas). No matter, we Poles will accept the hand of any ally as long as they fight the Russian invaders and their Communist lackeys."

"Your fellow westerners here... I would hesitate to insult them by calling them something so lowly as mercenaries... let's say they have gained the cooperation of the owner and captain of this vessel, Adam Rataj, also known as "Old Adam". He is taking them as far as Warsaw, and they are in turn acting as security for the journey. They have heard that the Americans are leaving Europe and hope to travel back to Germany to catch another boat, as it were."

"I wouldn't blame you if this was your desire as well. Your own home must be devastated as well. I personally have to meet my Armija Krajina contact in Warsaw."

"However, we in the Armija Krajina and the Polish democratic government have stood by you and the Special Forces. I would ask you join me and the Armija Krajina and help in rebuilding our home."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:07, Sun 15 June 2008.

'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 49 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 22:28
Bridge
Konrad Bayer:
In the wheelhouse he approaches Adam and goes through the same speech he has done several times now. "Sergeant McCoy, this is our employer, Captain Rataj. Adam... this man is Sam McCoy of United States Army. He is seeking to join our organization and I support this decision. He was formerly in the employ of T'Berg militia but resigned due to a clash of ethics and capability."


"Ethics..."

He pauses, taking a deep breath and releasing it slowly. He looks worn out but nevertheless, whenever he's on the bridge, he's surrounded by an aura of profound confidence.

"Yes, of course, Mr. Bayer*. Welcome aboard Mr. McCoy."

After reaching out to shake the American's left hand (Adam's right arm is still in a sling), he turns his one good, piercingly blue eye on Konrad and Anneka.

"I wish to leave Sandomierz first thing in the morning- it is a nest of vipers. I saw the wagons with the people in cages from the bridge. I agree that we must not make enemies of everyone on this river, but I do not wish to stay here and deal with these people one minute more. We have given them quite enough."

Anger and regret colour his already gruff voice.

The Sando-ORMO liason stands by, seemingly oblivious to the content of the conversation.

*Adam does not know about Chopper's betrayal so he consents to the addition of McCoy. Had he known, he would likely have said no.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:33, Sun 15 June 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 31 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 15 Jun 2008
at 22:38
Re: Bridge
"CLARANCE MILK IS ON THIS BOAT???!!!"


Sam
M25
Talking
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 738 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 16 Jun 2008
at 00:53
Re: Bridge
Sam McCoy:
"CLARANCE MILK IS ON THIS BOAT???!!!"


"Yes, that is correct. I take it he's a comrade of yours. Come on, I shall take you to him."


With that he led him to the other commando, so that they could get caught up.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 750 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 16 Jun 2008
at 23:37
A Sort of Homecoming

The Krolowa cruises down the Vistula towards Sandomierz, its spotlight illuminating the surface of the rain-stippled river ahead. To the south, an orange glow low on the receding horizon signals the death throes of Tarnobrzeg. The members of the tug’s security team somberly go about their duties, trying as best they can to stay warm and dry. After an hour or so, a few twinkling lights can just be made out in the distance. As the tug steams nearer, a single beacon in the castle on the hill signals its welcome. The Krolowa proceeds towards the town’s dock, slowing to make its final approach.

Adam and Walter coax the Krolowa -fighting the ever strengthening current- into its berth just behind the moored barge. Generator-powered floodlights within the boat-house/workshop illuminate the pier. Backlit, the rain resembles a shimmering curtain seperating those on the tug from those on the shore. Several armed men in rain ponchos are stationed around the dock and the barge itself. After Lubolslaw leaps from the Krolowa to attach mooring lines from the tug to posts on the pier, one of the Sando-ORMO men emerges from the boat-house and climbs aboard. Ascending to the bridge he enters and speaks,

“The commandant wishes to congratulate you on your contribution to the successful attack on the bandit enclave of Tarnobrzeg and to invite you join him in his castle for a champagne breakfast tomorrow."

The messenger departs, along with the two surviving ORMO representatives who accompanied the tug on her fire support mission. They are so exhausted that leave without even requesting their dead comrades' gear.

The remainder of the night passes slowly. Everyone has trouble sleeping- some due to the cold and damp, others due to dark and unsettling dreams. At dawn, the steady rain has been replaced by light snow. A thin crust of ice has formed on the tug's non-slip decks and tiny icicles dangle from various parts of the superstructure.

TO BE CONTINUED...

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:53, Mon 16 June 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 751 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 16 Jun 2008
at 23:44
Breakfast at Timoshenko's

Monday October 9th, 2000
0630 hrs
Sandomierz, Poland
30F
Overcast, light snow


As the tug's crew stand-to, a truck rolls noisily onto the dock. The previous evening's emissary emerges from the cab, approaches the tug, and loudly announces,

"The commandant awaits!"

Actions?
Sam McCoy
 player, 32 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 17 Jun 2008
at 02:38
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Staying out of sight sam tells the Capt that he will stay on board to not cause any problems.


Sam
below decks
M25
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 123 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 17 Jun 2008
at 03:09
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Before Dave assumed his post, he stopped at the tug's machine shop area and dug around until he found a small grind stone and a bottle of lightweight machine oil. He pent his stand to time with a blanket draped over his shoulders, working on the balisong knife he aquired in T'breg. A stroke on the stone, a three second look at the river in his assigned sector, another stroke, another look. When he's satisfied with the edge on the knife he works some of the oil into the hinged handles so they open smoothly and quickly. When he's done, he tucks the knife into his boot.

When the stand to period is over, he approaches Konrad. "Captain, I hate to complain, but is there a spare jacket on this tub? Those assholes in Tbreg confiscated mine, and I about froze off parts of me I'd rather keep last night."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 673 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 17 Jun 2008
at 06:23
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
When the stand to period is over, he approaches Konrad. "Captain, I hate to complain, but is there a spare jacket on this tub? Those assholes in Tbreg confiscated mine, and I about froze off parts of me I'd rather keep last night."


"Check Hick's gear." he suggests after a moments thought. "We also had some other soldiers' kit below (Bluey, Maddock, etc). Our fallen comrades." Looking the man over he adds, "If you can't find anything, there, let me know and we will do something about it."

When the emissary arrives, Bayer stows away his G36 and greets him. Nodding to the repeated invitation he returns to the group. "Milk, Mariusz, Kasparov, and McCoy... maintain security for the tug please."

OOC - Choosen as they are either NPC'd or opted to stay.

"Remainder, muster on the dock." he announces. "I remind you to respect the rules of being armed." Immediately after saying it Bayer cringed. He didn't trust the Commandant, but was trying his best at diplomacy and preventing the creation of further enemies.

Looking at Griet and Soleblume, the party's main negotiators, he says, "I expect 100% for him to make another offer to us. It may be rewarding, but further slow our progress. I believe you will have to deal with this scenario."

As the group assembled on the dock next to the truck, Bayer takes Milk aside and says quietly, "Don't let the tug fall into their hands. If anything bad happens to us, make all efforts to escape. Scuttle if capture is immanent. The only motivation they may have for harming us is to seize the tug... threatening to scuttle will be our only insurance."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:25, Tue 17 June 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 417 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 17 Jun 2008
at 14:15
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
OOC: Sorry for the delay... I went back to work on Sunday and pulled two double shifts...

BIC: Tucker musters on the dock without any weapons with today's "shore party'.  He's still in awe of what happened on the boat with Hicks and the others while they were on the ground in town.  He was glad Minh was OK and got out of there before the fuel blew up but, couldn't help but feel a loss since they had virtually nothing to show for their efforts and more allies killed.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 260 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 17 Jun 2008
at 16:14
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
As Mariusz saw the kaptain going to the Warlord's party, he asked, "Kaptain, would you please ask permission for our dead to be buried in the hallowed grounds of a local church? I don't think a dumping ground outside of the town is a suitable resting place for a man such as Brother Switek."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 196 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 17 Jun 2008
at 16:15
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Griet did as the Kaptain had ordered and made sure she was unarmed, she put on her best and cleanest clothes and presented herself for the shore party.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 124 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 17 Jun 2008
at 21:08
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Dave digs around in the hold until he finds an American field jacket and puts it on. He stashes his rifle and grenades but keeps his aid bag as he climbs onto the dock.
Sam McCoy
 player, 33 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 01:29
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Sam will walk up to milk shake hand ,hug him them talk in private........





Sam
Talking
M25
Minh Quyen
 player, 235 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 10:57
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Quyen steps off the Krolowa onto the dock. Minutes earlier she had stashed her weapons next to her gear at her bunk space. She loiters around the truck, waiting for everyone to pile in and head to the meeting. She's wearing her green hooded Adidas track jacket with US army pants. Pulling out her small collection of smokes, she counts them - despite knowing full well she's only ten left. Pulling one out she lights it... nine.

"Dawid?" Minh says, holding out the pack.

She was hungry. She hadn't eaten breakfast in an attempt to save at least one meal from being consumed from the tug's stores. She expects the local boss will make it up to her and her stomach.

When everyone was ready she stubs out the smoke but stuffs it away to finish later. Then she climbs into the back. Nobody had said anything to her about the barge. For that she was glad. Hopefully everyone was moving on.
Minh Quyen
 player, 236 posts
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 10:57
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's

This message was deleted by the player at 10:58, Wed 18 June 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 674 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 12:53
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Mariusz Tokarski:
As Mariusz saw the kaptain going to the Warlord's party, he asked, "Kaptain, would you please ask permission for our dead to be buried in the hallowed grounds of a local church? I don't think a dumping ground outside of the town is a suitable resting place for a man such as Brother Switek."


Bayer nods immediately, "Will do. And if not here, some town downriver alright?"

When everyone is on the dock he will signal to the driver and load up.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 418 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 15:39
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Seeing that Minh and Dawid are lighting up, Tucker takes out one of his own cigars and follows suit.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 740 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 16:14
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
In reply to Minh Quyen (msg #457):

He took the offered cigarette and lit up. Someone explained to him what went on with Chopper.

"Thank you, Minh. You did well today!"

The fight was over and like usual he felt drained and exhausted, but glad to be alive.

"I am sad that we had a hand in creating such misery. Another Polish town destroyed, perhaps that is a small thing in this world. Yet, for that cost we did perhaps prevent a dictatorship from arising and we Poles rarely have the luxury of choosing our allies."

"I also wonder why Chopper did what he did. I believe he wasn't in league with the hetman but.... not in his mind? Not well in his mind? You all recall his insistence on taking his crewmembers with him. Perhaps he viewed this as a betrayal of some sort that needed avenging. I like to think that, for the sake of his soul. I hope he has found his peace, now."

He intended on washing up (as best he could) and going to the dinner with the commandante of Sandomierz.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 125 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 22:00
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"I also wonder why Chopper did what he did. I believe he wasn't in league with the hetman but.... not in his mind? Not well in his mind? You all recall his insistence on taking his crewmembers with him. Perhaps he viewed this as a betrayal of some sort that needed avenging. I like to think that, for the sake of his soul. I hope he has found his peace, now."


Stoner overhears this and looks over. "Combat affects different guys different. Especially losing a whole boat crew. I think they call it survivor's guilt. Close to the same thing happened to me. After my squad got blown out of the water, it was me and John Brady and TJ Ehlen. Brady was messed up pretty bad, he sacrificed himself to give me and TJ time to get away. Then TJ bought it, and I lost it. I waged my own private little war up and down the river, killing every Soviet troop I could find. Then, one day, the bloodlust just stopped, and everything was cool."  He shrugs his shoulders and continues. "Anyway, keep your eyes open, I really don't trust these guys. Putting people in cages....Forced labor... And an unarmed population... I just hope we don't end up in a cage."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 419 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 22:21
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Tucker remembers the pack of smokes him and Bones found in town.  He taps his pockets and takes it out and tosses them to Minh.  "Souveneir from town."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 754 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 18 Jun 2008
at 23:44
Breakfast at Timoshenko's

Leaving a small security element on board the tug, the remainder of the team bundle up and board the militia truck for the ride to the castle. A makeshift tarp has been raised above the open bed, but it's still an uncomfortably cold and damp ride. The scenery, however, is pretty enough to almost lead the passengers to forget about the war for a few minutes. Snow is drifting down gently on the still air and it's starting to settle on the eaves of the rustic 17th century buildings. The grey sky seems warmer somehow than it has for the past few rain-soaked days, even though the temperature is significantly lowever.

As the grim castle comes into view, the ugliness of war once more intrudes in the thoughts of the passengers. The truck stops in the courtyard and the party is led to the great hall. Three tables have been set up, forming a truncated pi symbol. The commandant sits on his elevated dais, at the cap of the pi. At the base of the pi, a roaring fire blazes in a large, ornate stone hearth. The tables are set with mismatched silver. At a word from the commandant- flanked by a pair of armed bodyguards- an attendant dissappears through a doorway at the other end of the hall. Other attendants take the party's coats and wet weather gear and help them to their seats. When they are settled, platters heaped with food- sausages, potatoes, radishes, fish, breads, even butter and cheese- are brought out and placed before them. Then, as promised, champagne is poured for all of the guests.

The commandant finally addresses his assembled guests directly, his words conveyed by a translator.

"Here's to a successful operation. I wish to thank you for your contribution. It is a shame that your mission lies away to the north; I honestly cannot think of why you should be going in that direction. But that is neither here nor there. The most significant obstacle to trade- not least of which with your patrons in Krakow- has been eliminated. I very much look forward to dealing with the Rada, although I must admit to the unexpected change in our arrangements is- was- rather vexing. No matter, there is now little to stop us from sending our own representatives to the Free City to resume the trade that has been delayed."

After a pause to fill his mouth, he continues,

"There is one unfortunate piece of business that I must bring up. Our militia used up all of its mortar ammunition driving home the attack on Tarnobrzeg. So, I regret that I must ask for the return of the mortar ammunition you traded for. The defense of Sandomierz is paramount and our mortars are all that stand between civilization and the barbarians at the gates- I am sure you understand."

Actions?
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 126 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 19 Jun 2008
at 03:12
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Dave enjoys the meal, eating enough to fill him up but not overeating. As he eats he examines the silverware, trying to determine if it's silver silverware, or just stainless steel. When the champagne is poured, he sips his slowly, not drinking more than a single glass.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 197 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 19 Jun 2008
at 15:36
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Griet listened to the commandant with quiet politeness, as she heard the man try to shaft them yet again, she put her glass down and replied equally quietly, "I assume Commandant that you mean the ammunition we actually traded for, the remainder of the twenty rounds you gave us to attack the town are ready for your retrieval, if they haven't already been picked up. That would represent a serious blow to us as it seriously compromises our ability to fulfil our mission. I would propose two things before we give you our answer. The first is that you tell us what you are willing to give us in return for them, we paid well over the odds for the rounds, and technically now they are even more valuable. The second would be the use of a private room for my companions and I to discuss the proposal fully and frankly. It would be unwise for any one of us to speak for the others before we can consult fully."

Griet looked at her companions, "What do the rest of you think to those suggestions? I hope I haven't spoken out of turn."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 675 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 20 Jun 2008
at 00:58
Re: Breakfast at Timoshenko's
Avoiding the drink as much as politely possible, Bayer doesn't hesitate to eat. He focuses on anything 'rare' or anything he hasn't had in a long time.

When the "request" is made by the commandant, Bayer draws in a long breath but remains quiet. He'll let the others more capable with trading business handle the commandant. He expect a further deal from the man, not going back on the agreement. He thought to himself that he shouldn't be surprised the slightest.

Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet looked at her companions, "I hope I haven't spoken out of turn."


He shakes his head slowly without looking at her.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:59, Fri 20 June 2008.

Clarence Milk
 NPC, 149 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Fri 20 Jun 2008
at 01:22
Back on the Tug
Sam McCoy:
Sam will walk up to Milk, shake his hand, hug him, then talk in private...


It takes a moment for Sam's face to register in Clarence's memory banks, but when it does, he greets his fellow Green Beret warmly.

"Ho-ly shit. Well if it isn't Sam McCoy. How the hell you been, man?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 644 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 20 Jun 2008
at 06:25
Afternoon/evening of the battle
Minh Quyen:
Back aboard the Krolowa, Minh's unlit smoke is still dangling in her mouth. She reports to Anneka, "Barge trap can't be done. I can't get it done."

Anneka nodded her acknowledgement. Although it was a great shame to loose what appeared to have been such a prize, she accepted that the American MP had done her best.
"Next time maybe," she said sympathetically placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.
Konrad Bayer:
Speaking quietly in German to Anneka he says, <Blue>"Can you be certain Hick's was an agent. He was unstable. Could he have suffered a mental collapse? I am not sure I want the rumors of a betrayal to spread among the team if they are not accurate. Is there evidence or anything other than speculation?"

"I do not know," she murmured back in German.
"He had nothing on him that would explain his actions, but it's not much of a leap to assume he was. Even back when he first joined, there were some who felt his story was too contrived to be true, and bore too many similarities to some old movie they'd seen."
Beyond the usual items any soldier carried, Hicks had nothing of real importance on him. Checking through his other possessions might yeild some clues, but if he was an agent, would he have been stupid enough to bring damning evidence aboard?
"For now, if anyone asks, we should say his mind snapped under the strain of combat. He never was all that keen at being shot at."
Like any of them were....
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
...he finds Anneka and reports to her "I used three of the 40 mm HE grenades and one magazine. We also brought back six 5.45 magazines, three 7.62S magazines, half a dozen frag grenades and this (Hefting the rifle)."

"Add them to the stores and draw some replacement ammo if there is any."
Although Anneka kept good records of the crew and supplies aboard, she was simply too tired at that moment to check if they actually had anything Stoner could use.
"Good to have you back in one peice," she said with perhaps just a little too much relief showing in her voice....
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He asked Anneka, "I heard some shooting during the battle. It sounded like a pistol, not a rifle. Tell me, what happened here?"

"Hicks was shot," she replied simply, not yet sure if she should elaborate on the subject.
"It was his enemies."
She'd decided that it was best if she left it at that for the moment. They'd be time later to answer any questions about her involvement. First of course she'd need to have a quiet word with both Clarence and Jason to ask them to keep silent about the true events of the afternoon.
Konrad Bayer:
"Doctor... Chief" he says inviting Soleblume and Griet along. "Accompany us to the bridge if you wish."

'Old' Adam Rataj:
"Welcome aboard Mr. McCoy."

After reaching out to shake the American's left hand (Adam's right arm is still in a sling), he turns his one good, piercingly blue eye on Konrad and Anneka.

"I wish to leave Sandomierz first thing in the morning- it is a nest of vipers. I saw the wagons with the people in cages from the bridge. I agree that we must not make enemies of everyone on this river, but I do not wish to stay here and deal with these people one minute more. We have given them quite enough."

"I agree. We should move on at first light."
That would give them just enough time to rest and repair the minimal damage the tug had suffered. Most of that work though would consist of simply mopping down the deck and washing away spilt blood.
"Should we attach the barge now or wait until morning?" she asked, more out of interest than anything as it was something Adam and his crew were almost solely responsible for accomplishing.

"Sergeant McCoy, I'll need to spend half an hour or so with you later this evening to assess your skills and so on. If you're to be travelling with us, we need to know what you can do and which position to assign you to."
[Private to Sam McCoy: I'm sure you know the drill - usual skill audit]
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 645 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 20 Jun 2008
at 06:53
Breakfast
Well aware of their current vulnerbility, Anneka nodded agreement to Griet's words. If Adams daughter hadn't spoken them, she herself would have said something very similar.
She was however, almost certain that the man's "proposal" would be rejected out of hand, but that raised the question of his response. Armed only with the small pocket knife she always carried, or some of the silverware from the table, they would have a dificult time trying to fight their way back to the tug if all went badly.
At least they'd brought along Stan's secure radio....*


* which she'll carry herself if nobody else does.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 755 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 20 Jun 2008
at 20:52
Great Hall
Griet Niewiadomska:
"I assume Commandant that you mean the ammunition we actually traded for, the remainder of the twenty rounds you gave us to attack the town are ready for your retrieval, if they haven't already been picked up. That would represent a serious blow to us as it seriously compromises our ability to fulfil our mission. I would propose two things before we give you our answer. The first is that you tell us what you are willing to give us in return for them, we paid well over the odds for the rounds, and technically now they are even more valuable. The second would be the use of a private room for my companions and I to discuss the proposal fully and frankly. It would be unwise for any one of us to speak for the others before we can consult fully."


The commandant looks slightly bemused as his right-hand man translates Griet's reply. When he speaks again, the is a bit of an edge to his voice,

"This wouldn't be the first time that an established deal between Sandomierz and Krakow has been altered, would it? Of course you will be compensated for the loss. I am a businessman as well as a soldier. For the mortar ammunition, you will have a first rate mechanic and engineer. He has asked to be released from the city guard but until now, I could not afford to lose a man of his considerable skill. So, for the mortar ammunition that we need to preserve the safety and independence of this town, we will cede you a man whose abilities will undoubtedly help you to continue your journey down-river. I believe this is a fair exchange."

Seeing a measure of reluctance on the faces of the Krolowa delegation, he seeks to sweeten the deal.

"And, you will be furnished with the papers that will allow you to pass by the bridge at Annopol, since you continue to insist upon heading upstream. The bridge is held by government forces but their leader is somewhat... corrupt. For a fee, he will turn a blind eye to bridge traffic that he should otherwise be dealing with. The papers will cover his fees and allow you to pass freely. Without those papers, you may find that your expedition ends abruptly at Annapol."

He doesn't have to add that he could simply impound the tug himself, and imprison (at best) its entire complement. His militia outnumbers heavily the security team and the Krolowa still has to pass underneath the fortified Sandomierz bridge. With the tug heading away from Krakow, he could easily claim ignorance of its status and whereabouts if pressed during future dealings with the Free City.

"By all means, discuss this proposal amongst yourselves. My deputy will guide you to a storeroom where you may have the privacy you require."

Actions?

OOC: You may reply and/or assume that the group is in a private room.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:55, Fri 20 June 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 127 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 21 Jun 2008
at 03:00
Storeroom discussion
"We should try to hold out for some of the ammo. Or maybe some RPG rounds. I pased through Annopol a month ago, and saw a tank. It was dark as hell, so I couldn't be sure, but I think it was either a T-55 or -62. It was on the east side of the bridge, dug in hull down, I don't know if it was mobile or not. Two dozen, maybe thirty troops. I saw an OP upstream of the bridge but they were too alert to get close enough to see how they were armed." He finishes his speech with a shrug of his shoulders.

OOC: We're heading downstream, not up :)

This message was last edited by the player at 03:02, Sat 21 June 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 676 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 21 Jun 2008
at 04:04
Re: Storeroom discussion
Bayer meets his eyes with Griet's, and give a single (barely noticeable) nod.

In the store room he gives his opinion, "Submit to his demands. Lets not make a mess of this any more than it is." When Stoner makes his suggestion he adds, "Our motorcycle and grenade launcher?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 237 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 21 Jun 2008
at 04:38
Re: Storeroom discussion
Not her place to say anything, Quyen enjoys the food more than anything else. When they move to the private room, she stands against the wall off to the side. Pulling out her half finished smoke she lights it. Listening to the others she stays quiet. Everything'll work itself out. if not now, later, she thinks.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 198 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 21 Jun 2008
at 14:47
Re: Storeroom discussion
Greit listened to the others and nodded, "We're not going to get any more stuff out of him I don't think, although we might get some of the smokeless powder he has on hand. I don't like it but we're on a cleft stick here, what do the rest of you think?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 741 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 21 Jun 2008
at 16:01
Re: Storeroom discussion
Dawid thanked the host. He said, in Polish,

"The people of Poland thank you for your help in securing this section of the river."

"Remember, not only the people of Krakow have assisted you but the Polish government-in-exile as well. Without the boat, and the gun that arms it, your attack may well have failed. One day we will have a nation again, and your deeds, good and bad, will be remembered."


He looked over at Griet so that she was paying attention.

"I do not wish to call your honesty into question, but a deal is a deal. You would not have allotted those rounds to your mortars for the attack unless you fully expected every one to be used. Every competent gunner knows this. I was there, I did not note a heavier barrage than expected during the attack. So it is impossible that you are low. Perhaps you are misinformed?"

He didn't exactly challenge the Commandante's words so much as simply discount them.

"I shall take my leave now, sir."

"Again, my thanks, and I would hope for the future (be it relations to the government, to Krakow, or both) that you will stand by your word. Good evening!"


With that, he nodded to the rest of the crew and proceeded to leave.

[Private to GM: Note, this wasn't worded in such a way that it's impossible for him to be stopped, of course. Also, perhaps he can make a Persuasion check to see if the Commander follows through on his deal?]

This message was last edited by the player at 16:02, Sat 21 June 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 756 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 21 Jun 2008
at 21:30
Timoshenko's Reply (GM supplemental)

As Dawid finishes his piece, the commandant's expression changes from one of smug insouciance to one of barely contained anger. He stares, scowling at the Pole, as the Krolowa's party leaves the hall.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 742 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 22 Jun 2008
at 09:12
Re: Timoshenko's Reply (GM supplemental)
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #477):

Unless he is physically stopped, Dawid makes his way back to the tug. He hoped that fighting doesn't break out or the ORMO try to seize the ship (or the ammunition) but he intended to be fully ready if this occurred.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 758 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 22 Jun 2008
at 22:12
A Bitter Pill

Anneka [NPCed] reluctantly agrees with the others to concede to the commandant's revised trade arrangement. It's a bitter pill to swallow but to belabor the point would, in all likelihood, be counter-productive. The tug was in need of manpower and a skilled mechanic could be worth his weight in gold. On the other hand, this mechanic could be a plant working for the commandant. The episode with Chopper- not fully digested yet- had taught her to be increasingly wary of strangers. Then there was the matter of the papers... bogus most likely but she'd have to see them to decide.

The group reenters the great hall (sans Dawid) and Griet informs the commandant of their decision. He nods, trying hard to put on an air of magnanimity, and waves his attendants in to clear the tables. They oblige, returning shorty with some left-overs tied up in brown paper for the Krolowa's party. The commandant's deputy hands over a yellowing, folded sheet of paper upon which is typed an unsigned receipt of some sort, in Polish. He indicates that this is the document that will allow passage of the Annopol bridge.

The group reboards the truck which descends slowly into the snow-dusted town, pausing to pick up Dawid along the way. The snow has stopped falling but the gray sky promises more. The snow on the roofs is starting to melt and slush falls from the eaves as the truck passes beneath them. At the docks, another truck awaits. A squad of tired, scruffy, likely hung-over militia mill about nearby. At a signal from the driver of the taxi truck, the squad follows the Krolowa's people to the tug and their leader inquires as to the location of the mortar ammunition. In the wake of the militia squad, a turbanned, dark-skinned man with a short graying beard lugs a hand-truck stacked with boxes and bags.

Actions?

[Private to Sanjay Roshon: You may now post IC. I took the liberty of a brief physical description of Sanjay based on the portrait you picked. If it's innacurate, please correct/revise it in your first IC post. Thanks and welcome aboard.]
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 646 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Mon 23 Jun 2008
at 05:00
Re: A Bitter Pill
"Well," she began once they were all safely back aboard the tug.
"That actually went a little better than expected."
She'd gone into the breakfast meeting fully expecting to hear that the tug was either going to be "requistioned" or at the very least they'd have to perform some other task before being allowed further downstream. As it was they'd simply had to give back mortar rounds which had only been intended for their use during the previous day's fighting, and they'd gained a mechanical engineer!
All in all, not too shabby.

"Minh, I think you should shadow the new mechanic for a few days. Feel him out for his true loyalties and so on. We don't need another "incident" like Hicks."
Although only a handful aboard knew the full story behind Hicks' death, rumour was bound to fill in the blanks soon enough.

"Hauptman Bayer, it may be a good idea to have Milk shadow McCoy for a while too. Might as well make it a standing order for all new people to gain a "buddy" while we're at it." While they'd always be at risk of infiltration as long as they accepted deserters, stragglers and refugees, they could at least attempt to minimise it.

"I'll look at new position assignments once I've spoken with the two new people also. Now we're without the ZU, we'll probably have to shuffle some of the weapons around too."

Although she'd barely given any thought to the matter, moving the aft DShK up onto the barge position and replacing it with the Mk-19 might be worth thinking about. The extra height could prove useful for directing fire against shore targets. Also with the overhead protection of the barge's bunker, an indirect weapon, or even one with a high angle of fire, might not be very practical.
Minh Quyen
 player, 238 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 23 Jun 2008
at 08:58
Re: A Bitter Pill
Anneka Soleblume:
"Minh, I think you should shadow the new mechanic for a few days. Feel him out for his true loyalties and so on. We don't need another "incident" like Hicks."


Experienced with unit/personnel security, the task was nothing new or out of her field. "Yes." she replies, "Can do." The need to watch any newcomers around anything requiring mechanical work was obvious. In a matter of seconds the boat or its main weapons could be rendered inoperable under the guise of a common breakdown.
Sanjay Roshon
 player, 1 post
 Indian
 Railway Engineer
Mon 23 Jun 2008
at 14:57
Re: A Bitter Pill
Sanjay set the hand card down then stood tapping his teeth with the fore finger of his right hand glancing a critical eye over the boat. Dressed in a patched heavily oil stained boiler suit he ignored largely ignored the crew, his attention focussed on his new work place. It was a far way from an railway engine but a machine was a machine.
'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 50 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Mon 23 Jun 2008
at 21:36
Tug Bridge

As soon as the Sando-ORMO truck had disgorged its surly looking squad on the docks, Old Adam ordered Grzyech to get a head of steam up. The sooner the tug leaves the town, the better, Adam believes. He and Walter work the bridge, preparing the tug for an immiment departure.

When the truck bearing the bulk of the security team arrives, Adam is much releived but no less anxious to depart.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 150 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Mon 23 Jun 2008
at 21:47
Aft Dushka

Clarence watches the approach of the Sando-ORMO squad with great concern. Another double-cross is his gut feeling. He slips his SOCOM pistol from the drop hoslter on his thigh and threads on its silencer.

He looks hard at Sam, trying to read his old comrade at arms. Hicks, Clarence believes, must have been working for the T-breg "Hetman". He didn't want to think about it but Sam could be serving the Sandomierz "commandant" in a similar capacity. The McCoy he'd known had been rock-solid, a real operator. Nothing in their reunion conversation had indicated otherwise. Milk hoped his snap character assessment was accurate.

The big Green Beret seemed relaxed and at ease. There was no hint of tenseness or anticipation. Good signs, both.

Milk took a chance.

"Sam, it looks like some shit's about to go down. Get ready for action but play it real cool."

Milk carefully studies Sam's reaction and steeling himself to take extreme measures to protect the ship and its crew at the slightest hint of betrayal.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 129 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 23 Jun 2008
at 22:59
Re: Aft Dushka
Dave retrieves his weapon & gear and makes his way to the bridge. There, he borrow a water proof marker and starts copying the map onto the inside of his field jacket.
Sam McCoy
 player, 35 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 00:19
Re: Aft Dushka
"Got you Sir, will set up on the second deck here with the "25" silenced wont make any play until you do. Have your back 100%"




Sam
Moving too second deck
M25
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 649 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 02:34
Re: Aft Dushka
Realising that nobody besides Dawid and perhaps Minh really knew how many rounds had been expended out the day before, Anneka made a snap decision she hoped she wouldn't regret.
"Hauptman Bayer," she called in German.
"Grab Griet and stall the ORMO from boarding a few minutes."

Without waiting for a reply, she rushed down to the bow and Dawid, collecting Jason as she went.
"Get below and shift as many of the mortar rounds from the paint locker as you can. Leave the illumination rounds til last."
"If any of the ORMO ask, you fired them all off yesterday. We'll try slow them down."

Pausing in thought for a moment, she realised that stripping the locker bare would only invite further investigation.
"Better leave a couple of HE though. They're bound to search if they find nothing."

HP-35 + 3 mags
racing about trying to get as many mortar rounds out of sight as possible

This message was last edited by the player at 02:40, Tue 24 June 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 239 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 05:50
Re: Aft Dushka
Back aboard the Queen, Minh stashes her rifle under her gear. She checks her side arm's status so she would be armed. She then leans against the railing for a bit, watching the Hauptmann and Griet stall the locals. After a moment she introduces herself to Sanjay to get a feel for his personality.

"Good day." Quyen says quietly. "Minh Quyen. I'm a recent addition myself." she adds to create some common ground. "They are a good group, but it can be tough on board sometimes. Things that bad here to risk it with us? I guess Tarnobzreg is worse than here, but still... it can be dangerous just being a noncombatant." she asks, referring to Uller.

"I guess you know engines pretty good. I learned some machines after I was sent to the engineers, but nothing like you probably. Where'd you learn?" she asks.

[Private to GM: Can Quyen roll a subtle Interrogation check? Just to see if she thinks he's telling the truth. I know he is a PC and all - but if he wasn't I would ask for sure. I figure she'd have the skills/experience to pay attention to people's responses and look for hints of lying.]
Konrad Bayer
 player, 677 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 10:26
Re: Aft Dushka
Bayer pauses at the gangway to the deck. "Griet." he says. "Tell them I need to ask permission from the captain or something." With that he slowly makes his way to the bridge where he pretends to ask Adam for the locals to board.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 199 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 17:11
Dockside
Griet stood in front of the troops tasked to retrieve the mortar rounds and put her hands up, "Sorry, boys, if your boss wants his property back, that's fair enough, but we want ours too. We're still waiting for a Ural motor-cycle and sidecar combination with our Mark-19 Grenade Launcher, and all it's ammo to be returned. As soon as we've loaded that onto the tug, we'll wrap the mortar rounds up for you with a bow and help you off-load them. Clear it with your boss if you like, but we won't hand over anything until we have our stuff back, you keeping it wasn't part of any deal."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 262 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 24 Jun 2008
at 17:12
Re: Dockside
Mariusz stood close to Griet, backing her up despite his lack of bulk. As he looked at the group of soldiers, he searched for the Russian Non-com that had shafted them in T'brzeg. If anything did go down, Mariusz would make sure that SOB got what was coming to him.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 761 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 25 Jun 2008
at 03:41
Sticky FIngers

The crew rushes into action, attempting to hide some of the traded-for mortar ammunition before it can be reclaimed by the Sando-ORMO squad. Griet's attempt at subterfuge delays the proceedings for only a few moments as the squad leader walks several paces away from the tug before turning around and pointing to the motorcycle/sidecar parked below the elevated quarterdeck.

"You mean that Ural motorcycle and sidecar? Step aside, woman, we've got work to do."

With that he hops up the gangway, shoulders past Mariusz, and, followed by three of his squadies, makes a bee-line for the Vasilek gun tub.

Dawid [NPCed], meanwhile, only has time to stuff a couple of HE and WP rounds* into the sandbags of the barbette. With the Sando people standing on the dock only a few meters away, there's really no way to transfer the ammunition without getting caught in the act. Luckily, this subtle alternative is not noticed as the Sando squad share a few laughs at the miracle of the reappearing motorbike. Although the net result is less than what the Krolowa's crew hoped for, Dawid's quick thinking pays off: the ORMO leave with several crates of mortar rounds, but the Krolowa has still managed to come away with more ammo for the mortar than it had arrived in Sandomierz with.

As soon as the crates are loaded aboard the truck, the Krolowa casts off, young Luboslaw almost falling into the cold river as he leaps back aboard the tug after tossing her heavy mooring lines back aboard. For expediency's sake, the tug crew had the presence of mind to reattach the barge during the commandant's breakfast reception. With everyone safely aboard- including the rather taciturn new arrival- there's nothing holding the Krolowa back from resuming her journey.

The tug, seemingly grateful for a few hour's rest and some much-needed routine maintainance, quickly picks up steam and pushes out into the river. The rather picturesque town of Sandomierz grows smaller, the vista wider and more grand. Frosted with a thin layer of shimmering white, as the tug pulls away, Sandomierz, from afar, resembles an idyllic scene on the inside of a snow globe. Unfortunately, its outer beauty is marred with the decay -only just glimpsed by the tug's party- which resides within.

The journey continues down the cold, strong Vistula river.

To be continued in Chapter 10...

OOC: *Dawid saved two 82mm HE, and two WP rounds from the round-up. I had to make the call since Dawid had to be NPCed for this round.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:07, Wed 25 June 2008.