Ch. 9: Sandomierz.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: archive 0
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 707 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 11 May 2008
at 03:43
Re: Aboard the boat.
Hearing the not-so-distant booming and pops of mortar and gunfire, Dawid grinned with a confidence he only half-felt.

"Hear that? Our boys are giving them hell! Keep your heads down."


He switched back to English for Minh's sake. "Please keep an eye on the west bank for us, never know if they'll have a sniper there."

Tantal + BG-15 (30/30 + 1/1)
82mm Vasilek (5/5 HE, 5 HE + 5 HEDP on deck, rest below)

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 699 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 11 May 2008
at 03:53
The Battle Continues

As Konrad, Mariusz, and Tucker look on, Stoner crawls down the road towards the burning Ural. Fortunately, the troops that had ridden in on it had dismounted before the first mortar round fell, or the carnage could have been much worse. The driver and his assistant, however...

Dave looked up and saw the driver's assistant, fully engulfed in flames in the truck's cab, his skin blackening, his hair singed away, moving aimlessly and slow, as if under water. Then, suddenly, he is still. A few meters away, off the road on the right was a prone man, groaning softly. Dave moves closer until he is within touching distance. He gets up on his knees and instantly notices a huge exit wound in the man's lower back. He can see fragments of bone amid the blood and gore portruding from the gaping, skillet-sized wound. The man is finished. Dave moves on until he finds another militiaman. He has shrapnel in both legs. He's doing his best not to scream but his pain is obvious. There is a lot of blood. Quite a lot. But upon closer inspection it is clear that no major veins or arteries have been severed. This one can be saved. Dave gets to work patching him up.

Meanwhile, on board the Krolowa, Anneka orders a broadside on the fleeing picket. By the time the agile tug swings its port side to face the distant town, the IPAT runners have disappeared from view. They must have either gone to ground again or perhaps they are using some subtle fold in the seemingly level terrain to avoid being seen. On the tug's bridge, the Russian liaison's radio blares to life.

"Shell the city! Shell it now! Silence that mortar!"

The liaison, unaware of the new ship's intercom system, leans out of the bridge door and shouts down to the Vasilek pit.

"Open fire on the city! Silence that enemy mortar immediately!"

Back on shore, the Sandomierz militia, having recovered their composure, continues spreading out into their attack positions. Both BMPs swing further out into the fields bordering the road on the inland side. The mortar squad- shorthanded due to casualties sustained in the IPAT shelling- hastily sets up three of its tubes and begins laying them on Tarnobrzeg. As loaders arrive with crates of mortar rounds, the tubes cough forth a counter-barrage. The attack platoons, believing the enemy mortar silenced- or at least temporarily sated- begin to advance towards their objectives. Several seconds later, the sound of distant detonations can be heard rumbling out from the town. Assuming the attack had caught the defenders by surprise, there'd been no time for the residents to flee. Hopefully the many civilians Griet saw on her brief visit there have managed to take shelter...

Actions?

OOC: Those players whose PCs are on board the Queen, please post your character's location either in a combat tag or by changing the subject line of your post. I'm unclear as to exactly where most of the tug team is located at the moment. Thanks much.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:54, Sun 11 May 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 592 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 11 May 2008
at 06:31
Upper deck, rear
Anneka waited with her finger on the trigger. There was little point in firing until they had a target to fire at even with an area effect weapon like the AGS. Up forward she knew that Dawid would likewise be waiting for orders before firing blindly. Ammunition wasn't so plentiful that they could shoot without somebody correcting their shots....
[Private to Cap'n Rae: Just waiting on an FO to call in fire. It's all well and good for the ORMO liason to issue the order, but a town is a big place...
Also, he's marked as ORMO3 on the layout I've just posted in OOC - at the PKM Anneka usually occupies just forward and below the bridge, close enough to be a part of operations while still being able to fire a weapon.
]

Anneka
AGS+F88/M203
Waiting for targets

Minh Quyen
 player, 212 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 11 May 2008
at 10:54
Re: Aboard the boat.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He switched back to English for Minh's sake. "Please keep an eye on the west bank for us, never know if they'll have a sniper there."


"Ok." she says after a moment of watching the smoke billowing up. Then after a quiet "Whoa." she turns her attention to the west bank.

A short moment later she hears the yelling for mortar to enter the battle. Keeping her attention on the shore, she moves into position to help rotate the mortar in the necessary direction (assuming it is out of its arc of fire). "Ready when you are." she says confidently, keeping an ear open for the fire mission instructions.

Quyen
Mortar #2
AK-74 on the deck
Crewing the mortar/keeping watch

This message was last edited by the player at 10:55, Sun 11 May 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 224 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 11 May 2008
at 11:00
Ashore
Mariusz lay prone, covering the medic as he ministered to the sick. He was alert to respons to any threats or arders that might come his way.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 175 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 11 May 2008
at 11:05
Port PKMG
Greit scanned her sector and checked for snipers. She heard the Sandomierz liaison yell for fire and she switched to trying to remember where the mortar had been emplaced. She saw the tower of the church and yelled at Dawid, "Dawid! The mortar was about thirty meters west of the tower. I'll bet the tower has an OP too!"

She hoped that Dawid got the message. Firing blind they had little hope of hitting the mortar but if the rounds came close enough they might force it to relocate.

[Private to Cap'n Rae: I'm improvising here otherwise the mortar is wasting rounds if they decide to fire at all. The IPAT could always have relocated the mortar since then. I would if an enemy had clocked it's position.]
Konrad Bayer
 player, 634 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 11 May 2008
at 11:19
Shore
"Tucker! Mariusz! Lets take a few bounds forward to cover Stoner better. But keep behind the Sando line." Bayer yells to the two men near him. "Tucker cover first, Mariusz and myself move!" he adds.

Using a leapfrog method, Bayer rises and dashes forward a few meters with Mariusz to his flank. He will then cover forward and allow Tucker to take his move. They will keep doing this until they near the Sando line. Bayer's intention is to try to keep back enough from becoming a part of the battle.

Konrad Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
Shore Party
Tactical movement towards the Sando Militia

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 85 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 11 May 2008
at 12:21
Re: Shore
Dave continues working on the wounded. He's not advancing any closer to the action than the burned truck that was in front of them in the convoy.

Dave
AK-74, 6 mags
BG15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 225 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 11 May 2008
at 12:38
Re: Shore
Mariusz followed Bayer's orders and started pepperpoting.

Mariusz
G3 20/20
Following Bayer's orders.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 190 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 11 May 2008
at 14:05
Re: Useless by the aft Dushka
Staring in disbelief, Jason watches the battle unfold. Acting as a lookout, he has little to do but scan the area for possible contacts.

Jason Kasparov
Aft dushka observer
AK74 (9mags)
Scanning the area with binoc.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 708 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 11 May 2008
at 17:22
Re: Aboard the boat.
Minh Quyen:
"Ok." she says after a moment of watching the smoke billowing up. Then after a quiet "Whoa." she turns her attention to the west bank.

A short moment later she hears the yelling for mortar to enter the battle. Keeping her attention on the shore, she moves into position to help rotate the mortar in the necessary direction (assuming it is out of its arc of fire). "Ready when you are." she says confidently, keeping an ear open for the fire mission instructions.


Smiling, nodded in approval.

"Not just yet, my friend. Our own mortars will soon suppress the enemy's artillery..."

He listened to the answering barrage.

"Yes, there they are."

They turned broadside to try and get a shot at the fleeing enemy FOOs, and Dawid cursed as his aim point was thrown off. He hopped off the mortar, calling over the ORMO on deck and Minh to help him swivel the Vasilek to keep it trained in their direction of fire. When the tug turned back, they turned the mortar back to it's proper bearing.

"Our role is mainly direct fire support of the platoon closest to the river bank, then the 3 platoons to it's left, attacking up the road. We may not even get indirect fire orders."

"We must keep careful track of where our own forces are located. We do not want to fire on them by accident. I have a different task for you Minh, will you observe them and make note of our ORMO's positions?"


Dawid held out his binoculars for her. He then addressed the ORMO who were with them.

You! What are your names? Tell me now!"

Vasilek (5/5 HE + 5 HE, 5 HEDP)
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 383 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 11 May 2008
at 17:34
Re: Shore
Konrad Bayer:
"Tucker! Mariusz! Lets take a few bounds forward to cover Stoner better. But keep behind the Sando line." Bayer yells to the two men near him. "Tucker cover first, Mariusz and myself move!" he adds.

Using a leapfrog method, Bayer rises and dashes forward a few meters with Mariusz to his flank. He will then cover forward and allow Tucker to take his move. They will keep doing this until they near the Sando line. Bayer's intention is to try to keep back enough from becoming a part of the battle.
Tucker turns his attention to Bayer as he yells out orders to start bounding forward behind the militia.  Tucker gives a nod and a thumbs up to Bayer signalling him that he understands and is ready to start covering their move forward.

Tucker watches and covers as Mariusz and Bayer begin their leap-frog movement forward.  He waits until both of them are set and will begin his towards them.

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Covering Bayer & Mariuszs' tactical movement
Sam McCoy
 player, 21 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 11 May 2008
at 18:38
Re: Shore
" Tug this is two niner savoy"

"we have contact with LP/OP out side of town and have deployed"

"request your fires on the three shore side bunkers facing the river"

"two are HMG and one is a 107mm recoiless rifle"

" you should be in range soon"


" will call if more help is needed"


"Two niner savoy out"


Sam
M25
assault element
Minh Quyen
 player, 213 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 12 May 2008
at 02:11
Re: Aboard the boat.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
I have a different task for you Minh, will you observe them and make note of our ORMO's positions?"</Blue>Dawid held out his binoculars for her.


Squatting back down after readjusting the mortar, Quyen nods, "Yeah. Alright." Accepting the binos, she slides back over to the opposite side of the Vasilek.

Peering at the shore in the direction of the burning truck, she catches sight of Bayer and Mariusz moving up in tactical bounds. She notices Tucker get up and race forward a few seconds later. "Hey! I see the shore party. Only three though... no Stoner. They are moving up but seem ok."

Turning her attention over to the Sando militia, she tries to track their furthest  man ahead of the assault. Taking a physical reference point from the ground, she points it out, "Reference that crooked telephone pole... don't fire to the right of it."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:50, Mon 12 May 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 709 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 12 May 2008
at 04:25
Bow Position
Minh Quyen:
Squatting back down after readjusting the mortar, Quyen nods, "Yeah. Alright." Accepting the binos, she slides back over to the opposite side of the Vasilek.

Peering at the shore in the direction of the burning truck, she catches sight of Bayer and Mariusz moving up in tactical bounds. She notices Tucker get up and race forward a few seconds later. "Hey! I see the shore party. Only three though... no Stoner. They are moving up but seem ok."

Turning her attention over to the Sando militia, she tries to track their furthest  man ahead of the assault. Taking a physical reference point from the ground, she points it out, "Reference that crooked telephone pole... don't fire to the right of it."


"Thank you, that is good to know!"

Dawid finally decided on having 1 ORMO to hand up ammunition, the other to help train the Vasilek, and Minh to spot and bring any immediate targets under direct automatic fire with the closest PRK-74. He communicated this to the personnel with him at the forward position using the appropriate language.

When the order to suppress the 3 riverside bunkers came in and was relayed over the intercom, he asked Minh to spot them for him, so that he could bring them under accurate fire. Once he begins sevicing the targetss if he observes the fragmentation (HE) isn't working, he will switch to anti-armour (HEDP). Ammunition would be handed up as needed.

Vasilek (5/5 HE, + 5 HE, + 5 HEDP)
Firing 2 rounds HE each at each bunker (6 shots HE or HEDP total as needed)

This message was last edited by the player at 11:18, Mon 12 May 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 701 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 13 May 2008
at 00:04
The Unfolding Battle

The militia continue their attack, coming to within visual range of the outskirts of town. A pall of smoke from burning buildings hangs over it. A few of the defenders snipe at the attackers from the upper stories of several of the buildings. The BMPs respond with 73mm HE explosives, silencing the IPAT shooters. Still, four militiamen have fallen to the fire, either dead or badly wounded. The attackers continue forward to be greeted by heavy automatic weapons fire and the BMPs must pause again to locate and engage the enemy machine gun nests. The militia fighters go to ground quickly and it doesn't take much provocation to halt their advance.

Bones stabilizes the first of the wounded as Tucker, Konrad, and Mariusz bound forward to cover him. The platoon assigned to the attack along the road resumes their advance, leaving the tug ground team behind. The UAZ "taxi" remains nearby, its driver quite pleased with his position well behind the point of the spear.

The tug swings its prow back up-river and continues its slow advance. Within a few minutes, the first of the shoreside bunkers comes into view. It is strangely quiet, the barrel of its machine gun protruding stiffly out of the strongpoint's narrow aperture away from the Krolowa.

Actions?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 635 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 13 May 2008
at 07:30
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Bayer hears the radio call for the fire support from the Krolowa. Halting the group a short distance from the Sando skirmish line, he gives a quick look over to check on Stoner. Yelling to his companions to his sides to fill them in, "Fire mission requested."

Lying prone he scans the area ahead, searching for the bunkers the Sando militia wanted suppressed. "Bunker line to the front! Fire mission on the bunkers. Anyone have a shot... give them some fire."

Compared to the firepower of the Krolowa, the shore party wouldn't add much. However, Tucker's 40mm or a lucky rifle shot just might help the Sando militia a little. They still were not committed, but it'd also give the men some action, which he assumed they wanted.

Giving another glance around, he tries to take notice of any war loot. The bunker's will have something good, he guessed hopefully.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 710 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 13 May 2008
at 10:17
Bow Gun Position
Seeing the first bunker was silent, Dawid decided to shift fire to the second one.

The first one only had a Dushka anyways, which was a threat but they were better protected against MG fire now.

However, the middle bunker had a B-11 positioned there. The recoiless rifle could play real havoc wtih the tug, armour or no.

"Minh, please spot the middle bunker for us!"

He answered the intercom and heard what he assumed was Bayer"s request to supress the riverside bunkers.

"Negative, First bunker is unmanned. Will disable 2nd."

When Minh spotted the middle bunker, he planned to fire 2 HE shells at it.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:02, Tue 13 May 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 86 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 13 May 2008
at 11:44
Shore assault
Dave takes a quick glance around, looking for any wouded in his immediate area. If there is some one he can help without moving any closer to the front, he'll help them.

If there's no wounded close, or they're beyond his help, he'll unlimber his weapon and shoot the grenade launcher at available targets.

Dave
Shore party assisting wounded/shooting grenades
AK-74, 6 mags
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 227 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 13 May 2008
at 12:21
Re: Shore assault
Mariusz wriggled across the ground until he found a fold in the land that would give him just a little more cover. He looked around and aimed his rifle forward, searching for targets.

Mariusz
Lying prone
Scoped G3 20/20
Overwatch

Minh Quyen
 player, 214 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 13 May 2008
at 12:24
Re: Bow Gun Position
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Minh, please spot the middle bunker for us!"


Kneeling behind the makeshift cover built around the vasilek, Quyen keeps watch on the slowly advancing friendly forces. At Dawid's call she rotates around. Using the reticule pattern in the field glasses she views the second bunker and estimates the range with the horizontal lines. "Middle bunker! Range... XXX meters!" she calls. A moment later she tenses and anticipates the mild shock of the mortar's fire.

Quyen
Vasilek #2
Ak74 (28 Rounds)
Gauging Target Distance with Binos

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 711 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 13 May 2008
at 12:56
Re: Bow Gun Position
Minh Quyen:
Kneeling behind the makeshift cover built around the vasilek, Quyen keeps watch on the slowly advancing friendly forces. At Dawid's call she rotates around. Using the reticule pattern in the field glasses she views the second bunker and estimates the range with the horizontal lines. "Middle bunker! Range... XXX meters!" she calls. A moment later she tenses and anticipates the mild shock of the mortar's fire.


"Thank you!"

A thought flashed through his mind. The first bunker (#1) was too quiet, considering how organised this crew had shown themselves to be and it was the closest bunker on the main line of attack.

"Keep an eye on the first bunker, there could be someone hiding in it, waiting to strike, or someone could man it later. Keep ranging it for me."

"Firing!"


He decided to fire at the middle one (Bunker #2) for now, but shift fire back to the "abandoned" 1st bunker if necessary.

82mm Vasilek (5/5 HE + 5 HE, 5 HEDP)
Fire plan: firing at least enough HE rounds on middle (B-11 bunker) to achieve a direct hit, Shift fire to first bunker if there are any signs of life. If Bunker #2 isn't visible at this point, he fires on Bunker #1 even if apparently empty, just to be safe.


[Private to GM: Rae, if the bunkers are sandbagged, he will fire HE, if they rea reinforced with logs/tree trunks, concrete, etc., he will switch to HEDP. Also, any names for the ORMO with him? Thanks!]

This message was last edited by the player at 13:06, Tue 13 May 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 384 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 13 May 2008
at 18:38
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer hears the radio call for the fire support from the Krolowa. Halting the group a short distance from the Sando skirmish line, he gives a quick look over to check on Stoner. Yelling to his companions to his sides to fill them in, "Fire mission requested."

Lying prone he scans the area ahead, searching for the bunkers the Sando militia wanted suppressed. "Bunker line to the front! Fire mission on the bunkers. Anyone have a shot... give them some fire."

Compared to the firepower of the Krolowa, the shore party wouldn't add much. However, Tucker's 40mm or a lucky rifle shot just might help the Sando militia a little. They still were not committed, but it'd also give the men some action, which he assumed they wanted.
Tucker looks up from his position near Konrad and yells out to him, "ROGER THAT!  ENGAGING BUNKER NOW!"  Tucker takes aim with his M-203 at the closest enemy bunker that is giving the militia trouble and then fires a HE round.

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Aiming and firing [1] HE round at closest hostile bunker
Konrad Bayer
 player, 637 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 14 May 2008
at 06:02
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Bayer, still prone, and observing the bunkers to the front, watches the impact from the Krolowa's mortar and Tuck's own 40mm addition. After the targets become obscured by dust and smoke, he looks back towards Stoner and ensures he is ok.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 176 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 14 May 2008
at 06:33
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Griet remained behind her gunshield and scanned her quadrent for any threats she could deal with.