Ch. 9: Sandomierz.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: archive 0
Jason Kasparov
 player, 191 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 14 May 2008
at 07:21
Re: The Unfolding Battle
Jason continues to watch te battle unfold, unable to do anything but pray.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 702 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 15 May 2008
at 00:26
A Surprise Contribution

Chopper, squating over the Mk-19 on the fantail aft, gives a wry, polite half-smile to the militiamen stationed nearby. He slips a cigarette from its crushed package and flips it into his mouth, igniting it with a tarnished, marine corps logoed, zippo lighter. He takes a long drag and smiles again, this time more broadly, as the smoke trickles out from between his stained teeth. The closest militiamen frowns and looks away towards the west bank, his companion ignores Chopper, focussed instead on the battle picking up in intensity on the eastern shore.

Chopper half coughs, half laughs, takes another long pull on the cigarette and then stubs it out against the cold metal of the deck. He slips a grenade out of his pocket and pulls the pin, holding down the spoon with his left hand. Standing, he draws his Colt .45 with his free hand, cocks the hammer, points it at the back of the starboard side militiaman's head, and pulls the trigger. The man's head rocks forward, blood and bits of skull and brain matter exploding outward, and he pitches overboard. The port side militiaman, startled by the gunshot, turns around in time to see his companion's legs disappear over the tug's low side and the gaping maw of the American's .45 swing around to point directly at his face. Chopper pulls the trigger a second time and the second militiaman drops against the gunwhale, leaving a bloody mist to settle on the deck just aft of where he'd been kneeling a second before.

Chopper, almost nonchallantly, turns towards the quarterdeck, hefting the live grenade in his left hand, a mischevious grin spreading across his unshaven face.

Forward, Dawid's instints prove correct. He and Minh spot movement along shore where the intel suggested a recoiless rifle was located. Dawid lays the barrel of the Vasilek on the spot and fires a single HE round. It explodes right on target, sending a long, metal tube- presumably the 107mm recoiless rifle- cartwheeling 20 meters into the grey sky and udoubtedly killing its crew. Meanwhile, on his own innitiative, Clarence noisily puts 50 rounds of 12.7mm into and around the suspicious HMG bunker. A few small arms rounds crack past the forward half of the tug. The odd muzzle flash can be seen from the roofs of one of the riverside buildings.

Meanwhile, on shore, the ragged militia attack continues. The attackers rely heavily on the BMPs, following in their tracks and waiting until their 73mm shells have silenced enemy firing positions before advancing further.  The BMPs soon expend all of their cannon shells but continue to contribute to the fight by raking the buidlings with coaxial MG fire from a distance. An RPG races smoking from the roof of one of the buildings to smite the closest IFV but misses, causing much smoke and noise but little damage. A second barrage of militia HE 82mm mortar shells falls on to and around the nearest buildings and this seems to hearten the attackers. Encouraged by their NCOs they rise in groups of four and five and rush towards the enemy held buildings, supported by RPK and PKM fire.

On the road, the BTR advances to contact, its heavy machine gun barking out in anger. It creeps forward in fits and starts, followed by a gaggle of infantry, until a massive blast halts its advance. A large directional mine of some sort has disabled the APC, and the dazed crew attempt to evacuate it as enemy small arms fire opens up from ahead. Tucker, Konrad, Mariusz, and Stoner- in the process of stablizing his second "patient"- can see all of this from a distance but are still far enough beyond the battle line to be relatively safe from direct fire. The advance along the road, however, has stalled.

OOC: Note- the enemy bunker and retreating squad were and continue to be out of range of Tucker's M203.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:31, Fri 23 May 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 638 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 15 May 2008
at 01:29
Bogged Down
Konrad yells over to Mariusz, "How good are you with that thing?" refering to the scoped rifled. "Can be a sharpshooter ja?"

After a reply from the young Pole, Bayer toggles his radio, "Starlight, this is Sunray, message. Heavy resistance, enemy ist holding the buildings. Can you bring the tug closer and provide full... full fire support?" Figuring the tug had its own perspective from where they were located, he waiting for Soleblume's own assesment.
Minh Quyen
 player, 215 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 15 May 2008
at 01:55
Re: Bogged Down
"Hit! That hit! Quyen yells. Locking her attention onto the third bunker she lines up the reticle pattern in the field glasses. Estimating the range she again yells to Dawid, "Bunker three! Range! XXX meters!"

The massive explosion which disabled the BTR catches her attention. Looking over she says, "Oh shit! Dawid that BTR just got messed up bad. You see that!" Not in a position to see clearly, she hoped it was a mine, and not a heavy gun of some sort (like a tank).

She turns back to observe the next mortar salvo to make corrections if necessary.

Quyen
Vasilek #2
Ak74 (28 Rounds)
Gauging Target Distance with Binos

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 228 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 15 May 2008
at 19:08
Re: Bogged Down
Mariusz heard Bayer's question and decided that honesty was the best policy. The man needed to know his best abilities if he was to effectively plan, "I've only fired it twice and missed both times. I can probably keep someone's head down but I'm not likely to actually hurt anyone at this range. What would you like me to do?"

Mariusz
Lying prone on overwatch
G3 20/20

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 87 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 15 May 2008
at 21:12
Re: Bogged Down
While in the process of treating the wounded man, Dave takes whatever weapon the man was carrying (or has nearby) and slings it across his back. Dave's own AK with grenade launcher is lying on the ground close at hand. As he's treating the man, he removes whatever load bearing equipment and tosses it over his shoulder towards Konrad.

Stoner
On shore helping militia wounded
AK-74, 6 full mags
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 illum
Aid bag

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 385 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 15 May 2008
at 23:26
Re: Bogged Down
Tucker checks the ranges on his target(s) and yells to Bayer, "GOT NO SHOTS KONRAD!  YOU GOT SECONDARIES FOR ME OR YOU WANT ME TO COVER STONER?"

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
With Konrad and Mariusz
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 713 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 16 May 2008
at 12:53
Forward Gun Position
Minh Quyen:
"Hit! That hit! Quyen yells. Locking her attention onto the third bunker she lines up the reticle pattern in the field glasses. Estimating the range she again yells to Dawid, "Bunker three! Range! XXX meters!"

The massive explosion which disabled the BTR catches her attention. Looking over she says, "Oh shit! Dawid that BTR just got messed up bad. You see that!" Not in a position to see clearly, she hoped it was a mine, and not a heavy gun of some sort (like a tank).


Dawid nodded in satisfaction.

"Thank you, your assistance is appreciated!"

When the BTR hit the mine he didn't flinch. The sharp report echoed off the far river bank and a cloud of dust and debris rose in the air.

"Not an anti-armour mine. If it was, the BTR would have flipped over from the force. It is regrettable, but many should survive. The wrong mine in the right spot is an indication they weren't prepared properly..."


He cocked his head, something wasn't right. [Private to Cap'n Rae: Can I make an Observation roll to realise that a couple of nearby pistol shots would be out of place under the circumstances? The preceding text was kept vague; if he misses the roll, then he dismisses the anomaly. Still, he may not understand the significance of the shot, although he is aware that the ORMO could try and seize the ship by force.]

82mm Vasilek (4/5 HE, 5 HE + 5 HEDP)
Aiming to conduct Opportunity Fire on any threats.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:43, Fri 16 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 177 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 16 May 2008
at 16:54
Port PKMG
Griet flinched at the report of heavy explosions. She kept scanning the upcoming buildings. Her gun was useless against the emplacements but might be able to suppress snipers and RPG teams by sheer weight of fire should they appear.

Griet
PKMG 195/200
Overwatch

Jason Kasparov
 player, 193 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 17 May 2008
at 06:41
Re: Port PKMG
"Fuck me." With the battle raging along the shore Jason almost missed the shots from Choppers weapon. Acting on reaction, he grabs his AK-74 and fires a full clip at the deranged man.

"WE HAVE AN ISSUE HERE PEOPLE!"

Jason Kasparov
AK-74
Firing at Chopper
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 597 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sat 17 May 2008
at 12:48
Re: Port PKMG
Jasons shouted warning snapped Anneka's attention from the battlefield. Although her field of view was somewhat limited by the bridge forward of her position, she'd still been able to see enough to get a feel for how the attack was progressing. What she hadn't been able to see was a decent target for the AGS she'd assigned herself to.

Noting with a stab of terror Jason emptying burst after burst from his rifle into the aft deck area, her fears of the ORMO turning on them seemed confirmed. Letting the grips of the AGS go, she grabbed the British light machinegun and a couple of mags located just a step away. as she stuffed the mags into her webbing pouch, her feet were already carrying her towards Milk and a clear view of local events....

Anneka
Grabbing L86 LSW and 2 spare mags
Moving to aft DShK position for better view
HP-35 + 3 mags
L86 + 2 mags

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 704 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 17 May 2008
at 21:24
Mutiny

By the time Jason picks up his AK and opens fire, Chopper has hurled his grenade. It slips between the overhead tarp and the sandbagged wall ringing the quarterdeck and clangs off of the deck. Switek reacts instinctively, throwing himself on to the grenade a second before it detonates, lifting his shrapnel-riddled body several inches off of the deck. Switek lands limply a meter off, smoke curling out from under his twitching form.

Jason and Anneka are both spared harm but the momentary anticipation of a certain maiming coupled with the shock of the blast both capture their complete attention and cause them to instinctively seek cover. Jason is fairly certain that at least part of his long, interupted burst caught Chopper but he can't be entirely sure. We he looks over the sandbags at the poop, Chopper is gone but he does notice a few drops of blood leading towards the quarterdeck to skirt it on the port side. Anneka lifts herself off of the deck, her left arm aching badly.

[Private to Jason Kasparov: Jason fired 15 rounds (quick shot) and then instinctively ducked as the grenade exploded. He hit Chopper at least once.]

Forward, Dawid and the others are oblivious to what is transpiring just a couple of dozen meters behind them. The sound of Clarence's Dushka raking the shore, coupled with the intensifying incoming fire drowns out the pair of pistol shots and the flesh-muffled crump of the exploding grenade well aft.

[Private to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski: I rolled a 1 for a formidable observation check to see if Dawid detected the gunshots.]

The tug pulls even with the recently abandoned the BTR which, aside from 3 deflated and smoldering tires on its right side, appears largely undamaged. Fire lashes out from a large building bordering both the road into town and the river running alongside it. About half of the fire is directed at the militia troops pinned down near the BTR while the other half reaches hopefully towards the tug. The furthest riverside bunker comes to life, a huge, strobing muzzle flash announcing its intent as HMG tracers begin to pass just wide of the Krolowa's bow. Griet notices movement atop the riverside warehouse where she remembers seeing an AGS-17 as the tug cruised past the town the day before.

Konrad, Tucker, Mariuz, and Stoner are still 200m behind the BTR and roughly 500m from the first of the enemy positions but the incoming enemy fire is intensifying and an occasional, nearly spent round zips overhead, plows tiny furrows in the damp earth, or zings off of the pavement nearby.

Off to the left, it appears the militia has gained a foothold in the outermost buildings. Intense fire from that direction indicates the IPAT defenders are still holding fast.

OOC: There are targets for the tug in the corner building (firing at the militia on the road and the Krolowa with MGs and small arms), atop the warehouse (AGS-17), and the third riverside bunker (Dushka or KPV).

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:31, Sat 17 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 178 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 17 May 2008
at 22:10
Port PKMG
As Griet saw the movement on top of the warehouse, she brought the machinegun to bear on it. If she remembered correctly,there was an AGS-17 up there. 30mm grenade rounds could really ruin their day.

She settled the gun's sights and pulled the trigger, playing the rounds over the position in the hope of hitting a gunner or at the very least keeping them pinned.

Griet
PKMG 195/200
5 bursts at the Palyma

Konrad Bayer
 player, 639 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 18 May 2008
at 05:06
Shore
No response, he thinks after a moment while the tug sails by. "Group!" Bayer yells to his companions, "Prepare to move up to the BTR! Same tactical movements. Remember, we are here to collect spoils of war! Keep your eyes open."

After giving the others a few seconds, he nods over to Mariusz for them to go. Using the same field movements, he intends to advance the group up to the BTR and then hold.
Minh Quyen
 player, 217 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 18 May 2008
at 06:39
Re: Shore
Quyen collects the long RPK-74 and places its bipod on the Vasilek's protective sandbag wall. Choosing the nearest target she can see, she fires 5 quick rounds on semi-automatic. She will repeat this for a further 5 semi-auto shots before reevaluating her target options.

Quyen
Mortar Postion
RPK-74 (bipod in use)
Firing 5 single shots at the closest target she is aware of. Then repeat.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 230 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 18 May 2008
at 09:27
Re: Shore
Mariusz saw Bayer's command and got up like a jack-rabbit breaking from cover. He jinked across the ground in a low crouch and found a useful hollow to finish his run in. As soon as he hit the dirt, he covered the others.

Once they were all in position, Mariusz started the manouvre again.

Mariusz
G3 20/20
Pepperpotting toward the BTR

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 89 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 18 May 2008
at 12:09
Re: Shore
Dave pats the man he just patched up on the shoulder and says "You'll be fine" sucker he thinks to himself.
He takes up his weapon and moves forward in turn with the others, the AK he picked up banging against his back.

Stoner
On shore helping militia wounded
AK-74, 6 full mags
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 illum
Aid bag

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 598 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 18 May 2008
at 13:17
Re: Shore
Damn it! Anneka thought to herself, fury competing with rage for dominance.
"Milk. Jason," she yelled, so fiercely she thought her lungs would burst.
"Clear the aft deck!" With only the three of them still standing, as far as she knew, the forward half of the tug would have to fend for itself for a while.
Barely having taken a step that way herself before the grenade detonated, she released the LSW and changed direction.
"You damn fool!" she admonished Stan as she closed the distance, already knowing he was beyond help.

Anneka
HP-35 + 3 mags
Dropping LSW, issuing orders and moving to assist the probably dead Stan

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 715 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 19 May 2008
at 04:30
Forward Gun Position
Over the noise of the battle, Dawid heard the shooting and the bang from the rear of the tug. Obviously, they were engaging the enemy back there and somehow a rocket-propelled grenade connected.

As Minh flopped down and started shooting at the warehouse, Dawid re-trained the Vasilek with the help of the ORMO.

"Minh! Range the warehouse building for me!"

Firing at troops on a building was always difficult, especially ones inside the middle floors of a reinforced concrete structure. When fired direct, the shells on a flat trajectory could simply blow out the warehouse wall underneath the shooters, as it was probably unreinforced brick, metal or cinder block. Luckily, the mortar had a high ballistic trajectory and he could let the shells land on the roof where the fire was coming from. (The 120mm mortar had a special "anti-building" round that had been used to good effect against concrete blocks of flats in Beirut,) The enemy here seemed out in open on the rooftop, which made sense as it was a warehouse.

He decided the 82mm fragmentation rounds were a little small to effieciently destroy the warehouse walls and collapse the roof, even if they were unreinforced brick or concrete. When he got the range from Minh he would try to land a round on the roof itself. In the mean time he prayed they grenade launcher didn't take him out first.

82mm Vasilek (4/5 HE + 5 HE, 5 HEDP)
Firing indirect: 1 round at the roof, indirect and self-spotted, correct as necessary and fire again.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:58, Mon 19 May 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 387 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 19 May 2008
at 05:14
Re: Shore
Konrad Bayer:
No response, he thinks after a moment while the tug sails by. "Group!" Bayer yells to his companions, "Prepare to move up to the BTR! Same tactical movements. Remember, we are here to collect spoils of war! Keep your eyes open."

After giving the others a few seconds, he nods over to Mariusz for them to go. Using the same field movements, he intends to advance the group up to the BTR and then hold.
Tucker again catches Bayer's call to get his attention.  He moves over to where he has to hear him yell without getting any pot-shots taken at him.  "Understood Konrad.  You want me to wait for Stoner or we going to leave him to tend the wounded?  I'll get him or stay with him if you want!  I don't think we should be movin' to far ahead without him though."

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 {HE]
Waiting to see if they're moving without Stoner.  If so, same tactical movement with Tucker covering first and then moving up to Bayer & Mariusz

Konrad Bayer
 player, 640 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 19 May 2008
at 06:12
Re: Shore
Before moving forward, Bayer yells a reply to Tucker, "He comes! They've got their own medics! You two alternate cover and movement with Mariusz and myself!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 388 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 19 May 2008
at 12:55
Re: Shore
Konrad Bayer:
Before moving forward, Bayer yells a reply to Tucker, "He comes! They've got their own medics! You two alternate cover and movement with Mariusz and myself!"
Tucker gets himslef up to a low crouch and yells back to Konrad, "You got it boss, I'm on it!  We'll see you there in a few."

Tucker gets himself moving to get Stoner when Konrad and Mariusz move up.  When he gets over to where Stoner is he gets down in another low crouch and tells Stoner, "Yo Stoney!  Boss says we're moving up!  You're coming with me.  Finish this last one up and lets get the fuck outta here!"

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
Moving to get Stoner and then (eventually) catching up with Konrad and Mariusz

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 90 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 19 May 2008
at 21:08
Re: Shore
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker gets himself moving to get Stoner when Konrad and Mariusz move up.  When he gets over to where Stoner is he gets down in another low crouch and tells Stoner, <DarkGreen>"Yo Stoney!  Boss says we're moving up!  You're coming with me.  Finish this last one up and lets get the fuck outta here!"


He's done! Let's go kill some Commies! Dave replies with an evil twinkle in his eyes. I've been holding off doing any serious looting, seeing how these guys are supposed to be friendly.

Dave
AK-74, 6 loaded
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Advancing

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 705 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 20 May 2008
at 01:58
Punch and Counter Punch

The ground team bounds forward nearly two-hundred meters under heavy but un-aimed enemy fire and piles into the shelter of the lee of the abandoned BTR. Small arms rounds ricochet off of the vehicle with alarming frequency. The four-man element is now at the tip of the spear, among the militiamen pinned down on the axis of attack running along the road. Considering the increased noise of the incoming fire and the angle to main attack axis further east, it is almost impossible to guage the progress (or lack thereof) of the militia's main effort. The shadow of the BTR's bulk will shield them from most of the IPATs fire, but leaving the rear of the vehicle now will be a perilous undertaking, to say the least.

OOC: PCs may attempt to enter and/or operate the BTR if they so desire.

Anneka shifts the twitching Switek, firmly grasping his right arm and partially lifting the dead weight of his torso on to his left side. His chest and upper belly are dripping with gore, a wound too large and indistinct to easily assess what to treat first. The hard truth is painfully and immediately apparent. Switek, if still alive, will survive for only a few minutes more, regardless of any treatment Anneka may be able to offer. His last act, if foolish, undoubtedly saved Anneka and Jason from a similar fate.

Jason [NPCed for this round] is stunned into temporary innactivity. Half of his mind is simply overwhelmed with surprise and delight at being alive and whole; the other half is clumsily trying to juggle the tasks of making sense of what has happened over the last half-minute and plotting a rational course of action for the next half.

The corner warehouse attracts fire from Minh, who, despite the range, manages to hit one of the IPAT defenders with one of her five carefully aimed shots, knocking his old, Soviet steel pot helmet off of his newly ventilated cranium. This fortunate hit- and several near misses pockmarking the bare cement facade nearby- has the added effect of diminishing the volume and accuracy of his companions' fire. Griet and Milk blaze away at the suspected AGS position, tearing great chunks out of parapet lining the rooftop and completely suppressing any fire that the position may have been preparing to unleash. All the while, Dawid cranks the barrel of the Vasilek skyward, awaiting a range report from Minh.

Clarence catches sight of movement on his left periphery and instinctively turns his head part way to assess the situation. Chopper, deathly pale, bloody left arm hanging limply at his side, steps grinning from the port stairs on to the companionway, levelling his Colt .45 at Clarence's face. The first shot brushes past Clarence's left cheek as he instinctively raises his hands in a foolishly hopeful attempt to shield the more vital body parts from the impact of the heavy, supersonic lead slug. Chopper's second wayward shot rings off of the superstructure centimeters away from Clarence's ducking head and the Green Beret hurls himself foward at the rogue engineman's midsection. Chopper, light-headed from blood loss coupled with the exertion of his short climb up the stairs, is unable to avoid the tackle and he is knocked off his feet backwards down the stairs. He bounces once hard off the metal stairs and lands heavily on the deck, the .45 flung from his hand.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:06, Tue 20 May 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 218 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 20 May 2008
at 03:07
Re: Punch and Counter Punch
Quyen sees one of her targets drop and (by glancing at the weapon sight's range) estimates the distance to the building. Her hit confirmed the set range on the RPK so she figured it was the best way to judge for Dawid. Quyen yells over her shoulder to him, "Target! Range XXX meters."

As Dawid hasn't called for a reload or other crew required drills, she continues to provide small arms fire. Selecting another target she fires another five rounds of quick semi-automatic fire.

Minh Quyen
Mortar Postion
RPK-74 (bipod in use)
Firing 5 single shots