Ch. 9: Sandomierz.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: archive 0
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 144 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 07:57
Re: Changing Shifts
Griet sat down with her manifests and notes, there were many conflicting needs on the cargo they had to trade, ammunition, humanitarian goods, food, equipping the Krowla, the list appeared endless. She looked up at the second shore party, "Stick with Mariusz and Dawid, they can manage the local language, remember, any weapon you are carrying now, even if they are concealed are to be left behind. If you need to take arms ashore to trade, I'll talk to the Boss of this place at Three and try to come to some sort of arrangement. Major, Kaptain, I'll come up with a long list of things we need and I'll show it to you to come up with a prioritised list."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 198 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 07:59
Re: Changing Shifts
Mariusz said, "I'd like to look at the grocery stores to see what staples are going for, if Griet trades for the basics, we can get some of the luxuries that will make life better, I'm willing to wait until after the main meeting though if no one else wants to go ashore. We also need to find somewhere to bury the dead."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 145 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 08:19
Trading with the Manifest.
Greit worked hard tallying various coluns and trying to make ends meet. Eventually, when she'd completed that, she made the list of equipment that she thought the mission needed, she had no idea as yet how much of it they could acctually trade for so they needed to prioritise carefully. She wrote the list down, copied it and handed it to the officers for their decisions:

Trading List
1) Humanitarian resources for Adam’s rescue mission (Adam still hasn’t come up with a ball park figure about how many people he wants to pick up)
2) 1 month of food for Krowla’s crew and security team
3) Ammunition for the 82mm mortar: HEAT/HE/WP
4) Ammunition for the AGS-17
5) Ammunition for RPG or some sort of medium range AT weapon
6) Ammunition for BG-1s and M203s
7) Access to scrap yard for working on defences
8) 7.62mmL ammunition
9) Explosives, or the components to make explosives
10) Scout boats

We should also try to sell the ZOO-2 to the ORMO as a “fixer-upper” , we might be able to trade the scrap Snowy wants for that if we’re lucky.

Trevor 'Snowy' White
 player, 303 posts
 Australian
 Customs Service
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 12:53
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
Snowy tools up on metal working kit and heads down the gangway. Anyone stopping him gets a face full of 'strine'; "Jeez cobber, you're as miserable as a bastard on father's day! Ask the old man for me 'curtains-n'-drapers', I've got the okay I reckon. Hey, are you guys good for a beer? How about we get a few suds n' 'ave a chat while I'm doing the hammer work? I reckon we can let the toffs work out the whys-n'-wherefores, we're just working lads gettin' the job done."

He'll start work right away, and will trade for any beer available and share it with the dockside workers. If anyone needs a hand on their tasks, Snowy is quick to lend a hand and happily learns the no doubt corrupt Polish while he's at it.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 582 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 13:38
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"Just what do we have to offer these people anyways . It can't be very much, and not able to cover all ten of those things listed." Bayer says leaning against the main deck's railing. He then rattles off his opinion on what he would say the priority is, divided into three groups.

1) Ammunition for the 82mm mortar: HEAT/HE/WP
2) 1 month of food for Krowla’s crew and security team
3) Ammunition for RPG or some sort of medium range AT weapon

4) Ammunition for the AGS-17
5) Access to scrap yard for working on defences
6) Scout boats
7) Humanitarian resources for Adam’s rescue mission

8) Ammunition for BG-1s and M203s
9) 7.62mmL ammunition
10) Explosives, or the components to make explosives

This message was last edited by the player at 13:39, Fri 18 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 146 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 14:29
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"I can't see Adam trading for anything before the humanitarian stuff. You can try talking to him if you want, he wouldn't budge with me," she sighed, "the problem is, the people here are expecting to trade a load of gunpowder for what we have and they've been stockpiling it for a while. Switching it for something new at this short notice is going to piss them off and make them suspicious. We are going to take a big hit to the value of our cargo for that reason. According to my estimates, one of the mortars we have will provide the humanitarian needs for just eight refugees. That takes a big chunk of what we have. Plus we're switching from trading for something they have a surplus of to trading for things they need too. That means we pay top dollar and some on top. Trust me, we're going to be lucky to get half of what's on that list."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 583 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 15:00
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"Doesn't Adam realize we still have a long way to go? There will be other time to collect humanitarian things, but without other ammo issue that won't be possible." Bayer asks rhetorically. "I still haven't been given an idea of what trade goods Adam has aboard either."

"I don't understand what you mean about the short notice. We only showed up here. How can there be a "new" deal?" he asks. "Gunpowder? I am quite unsure of this whole trade issue."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:01, Fri 18 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 147 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 18 Apr 2008
at 16:02
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"I'm sorry," she said, "I'd assumed that Adam had briefed you about all of this when he employed you. The Krakow ORMO commandeered this boat to bring a cargo of bicycles, sewing machines and Wojo-built mortars here. We were to return with a cargo of gunpowder for the ORMO. That was my mission. Now, I have found out that Adam intends to go to Warsaw to rescue his surviving family and their community. As you constantly insisted that we were going to Warsaw, I thought you knew this. That is why I kept insisting that we had to go back. After the results in T'brzeg I have come to accept that heading back to Krakow is impossible and I have agreed to try to convince the Sandomierz council that the ORMO supports this change in trade. That's why all of this is going to be so difficult. As to being able to trade for Humanitarian supplies further down the river, that will be hard to do if we trade all our goods here for defences for the boat. Even if we could find the goods down river, we'd have nothing to buy them with."

She paused, "I really think you need to speak with Adam, he seems to have kept you rather in the dark."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 584 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 03:12
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
"No no. Some things were just not very clear. Nevermind." Bayer mutters. "Fine... the humanitarian things. Excluding the civilian dealings, the military arms in that order I mentioned is my opinion."

OOC: I joined during Chapter 2 so I had some incorrect and missing info regarding the "official" mission. I had to go do some research - ignore this confusion.

"When the chance comes I want you to talk to them, for a request from me. While you are working out the trade issues with Adam and the local authority here... I want to be able speak with someone here about downriver information. Someone knowledgeable in intelligence matters." he adds. "If they want something in return, I can offer an intelligence report of my own concerning upriver. I figure thats whats most on there mind here... such as Tarnobzreg."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:20, Sat 19 Apr 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 363 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 03:15
Re: Trading with the Manifest.
If anyone is going to try and go into the town, Tucker will accompany them just to take a look around and see what is available.
Minh Quyen
 player, 190 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 04:44
Back Aboard
Having returned to the Krolowa, Quyen loiters on the main deck. She watches the hens roaming about their new home for a while before digging out a pack of her recently acquired smokes. Making her way over to Dawid she holds the pack out, "Share a couple with Chopper huh?"

Quyen then approaches Snowy, "I've got some time working on stuff like that.  If you are going to be working on the tug, I can help. Tell me what I have to do."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 674 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 06:58
Re: Back Aboard
Minh Quyen:
Having returned to the Krolowa, Quyen loiters on the main deck. She watches the hens roaming about their new home for a while before digging out a pack of her recently acquired smokes. Making her way over to Dawid she holds the pack out, "Share a couple with Chopper huh?"


"Of course! Many thanks!"

He does so, and when notified of the restriction on weapons leaves the auto-pistol on the tug.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 169 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 07:41
Re: Back Aboard
Taking his book, Jason heads for the aft Dushka and sits by the rail. Feeling hes done enough damage already, he leans against the deck, and begins to read, hoping to lose himself in another world, far from the hell he is in.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 57 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 15:47
Re: Back Aboard
Hey Dawid, Dave calls out. Bring me back an ice cold beer. I'm going to take care of the bodies.

Jason, would you mind giving me a hand real quick. I'm going to launch the rubber boat and put the bodies on board to take them to the other side of the river to bury. I can handle it once they're on the boat, but putting that thing in the water is a job for two men.


After getting the the bodies and a shovel loaded on the rubber boat, Dave heads directly across the river. He takes his AK with the grenade launcher just in case there is trouble. He finds a suitable spot and starts digging.

OOC: the body issue hasn't been resolved yet. If the ORMO will let them dispose of the bodies in the city, disregard this post.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 672 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 19 Apr 2008
at 22:46
Adam Speaks

As Milk moves around the tug, advising everyone aboard or nearby that Adam wishes to address the entire team in five minutes on the quarterdeck, Switek and Hicks arrive quayside on the Ural trike.

After those wishing to be present have assembled, the Old man speaks; he seems to have regained some of the vigor depleted when a Soviet anti-tank guided missile tore through the old tug's bridge, nearly decapitating the crew as well as the boat itself just two days ago.

"My friends, I wish to thank all of you for helping us to get this far. It has not been easy and you have sacrificed much."

He pauses briefly, composing himself. Old Adam has also lost much on this journey. Uller may have been a bastard, but he was one of Adam's oldest, closest friends.

"If you wish to stay here in Sandomierz, you will go with my blessing. If you wish to continue on to Warsaw with me and my crew, I will be eternally grateful. Now, I want all of you to be clear as to the nature of my mission. Your decision must be well informed and we need to be on the same page, as they say, when it comes to our dealings with the local ORMO."

He pauses again, regaining his breath.

"I intend to exchange the Rada's cargo for food, medicine, and clothing. We are about to betray the Rada and the Krakow ORMO and therefore, we may never return there. Instead, we are proceeding directly to Warsaw to assist the refugees. Winter is coming quickly this year. Griet has played her part well so far. The Rada had to have every assurance that we would complete the mission that they mandated so it was crucial that they have a trusted representative aboard. However, Griet's true loyalties have always been elsewhere. We were not sure whether any genuine Rada spies were aboard so we have kept up the charade until now. This is the time to end the game. Griet is my daughter."

Adam gives the young woman a brief but affectionate look before continuing.

"She has been in on the plan since the very beginning. Not even Uller knew of her true identity. Now the local authorities here are expecting us to trade our cargo for gunpowder, which they produce in great quantities and reputedly acceptable quality. Griet has forged papers modifying the deal. We must hope that they are accepted as legitimate. If not, we may have some difficulties leaving this place.

"She will conduct the negotiations. I am still too weak to go ashore and we must be ready to leave at once, should the ruse fail. Our main objective must be acquired the maximum amount of supplies for the refugees but I have witnessed the value of the Soviet mortar so more ammunition for it will also take priority; a portion of the value of the cargo will be allocated to that end. The weapons that you have acquired on the voyage are yours to do with as you choose.

Please, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. There must be no more secrets among friends."


[Private to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski: I will roll a persuade check to see if the guard will allow you to bury the dead in the city cemetary. It is truely overcrowded, but some extra space could be found. Also, if you wish to use you second contact now, that is fine. Griet will be attempting to negotiate for more 82mm ammo with the city commandant so it's not really necessary but if you want to see if you can work something out under the table with a contact, that's up to you. ]
Konrad Bayer
 player, 587 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 14:09
Re: Adam Speaks
Bayer greets the two motorcyclists, "Well done. We are pleased you both made it through. We were fortunate ourselves... little damage and only the new Polish man was killed. Your fire support was helpful."

After Adam speaks, Bayer is the first to respond, "I expected to go all the way to Warsaw. Of course I honour my contract to remain." Continuing he adds, "I understand more now about the needs of the trade."

Cap'n Rae:
"The weapons that you have acquired on the voyage are yours to do with as you choose.</Red>


"Ja" he says aloud. "I am going to tentatively submit this for trade. Different munitions or weapons you may have in mind, tell me. Keep it realistic... this is not Krakow."

82mm HE (4 x case of 5 rounds, 20 rounds) - 300 X 4 = 1,200$
82mm WP (2 x case of 3 rounds, 6 rounds) - 300 X 2 = 600$
30mm HE (2 x drums of 29 rounds, 58 rounds) - 75 X 2 = 150$
40mm HE (1 x case of 72 rounds for M203) = 200$
40mm HEDP (1 x case of 72 rounds for Mk19) = 250$
Domestic Food (3 days for 17 people - 102kg) - 4 X 102 = 410$
Field Phones (2 x sets, price based off small hand radios) - 250 X 2 = 500$
RPG-18 HEAT (1 x case of 3 rounds) = 50$
Armour plating/scrap metal plating = Unknown cost

Total worth - 3,360 (+plus armour plating costs)

Trading With...
ZU-23-2 Damaged - reg/15,000 - hoping for around 10% value for damage = 1,500$
AKM Rifles (x5) - 300 X 5 = 1,500$
AK-74 Rifles (x6) - 300 x 6 = 1,800$
Bayonets (x9) - 20 x 9 = 200$

Total worth - 5,000$

This message was last edited by the player at 17:43, Sun 20 Apr 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 192 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 16:35
Re: Adam Speaks
Quyen didn't have to think twice... stay here? Forget it, she thought. "I have no reason to step off. You and the Hauptmann have my loyalty." Quyen says.

After Bayer lists off the armaments, Quyen adds, "82mm HE.. good, they might have some WP too."

After a moment she adds, "Perhaps a raid may be an option. To acquire more that we may not be able to trade for here." She figured most everyone would be aware that with the deteriorating resources and supplies, both sides of the war raided to capture weapons and munitions. "On an isolated IPAT outpost, or bandit camp the locals here may know about."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:36, Sun 20 Apr 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 202 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 17:26
Re: Adam Speaks
"I'd rather see more than three days of food bought. We would then only have five days supplies, in the last six or more days you haven't been able to resupply, so the same problem may occur." said Mariusz, "I'd say we need at least two weeks of supplies, enough to get us to Warsaw. If we can resupply later, that'll be a bonus. Let me shop around, I might be able to get a good deal by buying cheap ingredients that I can make tasty."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 148 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 17:27
Re: Adam Speaks
Griet noded, not trusting herself to speak after being recognised in public for the first time by her father. Her eyes glistened and she wrote everything down carefully as she blinked away the welling tears.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 589 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 17:40
Re: Adam Speaks
Mariusz Tokarski:
"I'd rather see more than three days of food bought. We would then only have five days supplies, in the last six or more days you haven't been able to resupply, so the same problem may occur." said Mariusz, "I'd say we need at least two weeks of supplies, enough to get us to Warsaw. If we can resupply later, that'll be a bonus. Let me shop around, I might be able to get a good deal by buying cheap ingredients that I can make tasty."


"Yes, I only started with a modest amount. We also haven't had resupply since we haven't been practicing acquiring more on our own account. By that I mean foraging, hunting, and the likes." Bayer says. "I also wasn't sure if food was on the trade regarding Griet's work, nor am I aware how much armour plating costs... so I had to list a small amount for the moment. If you can help out as you said, that would be gute."

Nodding to Quyen, he says, "Ja. It is an possible option. Profitable if the target is chosen well. Noted." He then scribbles down 82mm WP on the list.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:45, Sun 20 Apr 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 59 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 21:49
Re: Adam Speaks
I'm fine with going to Warsaw. I'm a little worried about radiation, though. I've picked up so many rads over the last few years I'm surprised I don't glow in the dark.

My main goal is to get back home. I figure the easiest way is downriver to the coast, then maybe get lucky and find a ship. So I'm in.

As far as the food goes, I'm no hunter, but we could rig some lines at the stern and try for some fish to augment our supplies.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 170 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 20 Apr 2008
at 22:08
Re: Adam Speaks
Jason nods to Bones, and helps him load the dead and carry them off to the raft.  While preparing to move out, he waves bones to stop to hear what Adam has to say. When the old man is finished, Jason raises his hand to speak.

"Adam, while its nobel of you to bear this cross, perhaps your not looking far enough ahead. Warsaw and  the Ormo will try to hunt you down. Perhaps that is a battle you choose to fight, and a nobel one indeed, but they may also take their revenge out on those you wish to help. Think on that for the moment. Now, have we consider getting some fishing nets for this boat? Perhaps we can bring your countryman some salted fish, clams and such. We can raid the russians for supplies, you keep your good word and your honor, and when the mission is over, you repay us by helping us get back home. I don't think anyone here would disagree with that "
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 677 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 02:04
At the Table

Like clockwork, at 1500 hours, a black, eastern European passenger sedan arrives dockside, accompanied by a UAZ light truck. The mayor of Sandomierz emerges from the civilian car and approaches the Krolowa, escorted by his armed, umbrella-weilding footman.

"The commandant is ready to receive you. Any of you who wish to attend are welcome."

The mayor accompanies the Krolowa's representative[s] to the vehicles which, once boarded, pull away from the docks. Under a canopy of dark clouds, they weave through the old city and climb the promontory to the castle.

Its walls are pockmarked, scarred by the impact of heavy artillery and air-dropped bombs. Fortunately for the old fortress- and the city as a whole- the attention of the contesting armies did not long fall upon it. The fight was short and sharp, and circumstances outside of the city necessitated its abandonment as a focus of further unwanted martial ministrations.

The convoy enters the castle through a large gate and long entryway and emerges into an interior courtyard where the vehicles pull to a halt. A heavy rain has begun to fall, darkening the upper walls as the water slowly penetrates the old stone, concrete, and plaster. The sound of a gasoline powered generator echoes through the area, soon grating on the nerves. The group enters the castle proper and weaves through its passages, the older ones long and claustrophobic, the newer ones (a relative term), spacious, direct, and ornate. After what seems like a few minutes, the party emerges into the great hall, cavernous, and still adorned with tapestries. A fire burns brightly in a large fireplace set into the back wall. At a long table set upon a long, raised dais on the left side of the hall, sits a tall, lean man. His narrow face is topped by a cul-de-sac of grey stubble. His eyes are a strikingly youthful ice- blue. He deigns to look up at the entrance of guests, his attention devoted to a roasted drumstick. After a few minutes of awkward silence, he speaks, his voice sharp and nasal, his Polish course and pedestrian,

"It's nice of you to finally show up here."

He takes another bite of chicken, achieving a level of modest retribution by forcing his guests to wait.

"The gunpowder is ready to load. The mayor assures me that you've brought the trade goods we agreed on. But, before we finish here, I have a proposition to make. You met the 'Hetman' of Tarnobrzeg, I hear? He is a madman and a threat to the people of this city- of this whole region. I want to hire your boat to take a heavy raiding force of my people back to the city and provide them with fire support. We will provide the ammunition for your mortar. If you agree, we'll add 10% to your commision. As I see it, it's an offer you can't refuse. Getting back past the town- against the current this time- will be damn near impossible unless his warband is dispersed. What say you?"

Actions?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 678 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 11:01
Re: At the Table
Cap'n Rae:
"It's nice of you to finally show up here."

He takes another bite of chicken, achieving a level of modest retribution by forcing his guests to wait.

"The gunpowder is ready to load. The mayor assures me that you've brought the trade goods we agreed on. But, before we finish here, I have a proposition to make. You met the 'Hetman' of Tarnobrzeg, I hear? He is a madman and a threat to the people of this city- of this whole region. I want to hire your boat to take a heavy raiding force of my people back to the city and provide them with fire support. We will provide the ammunition for your mortar. If you agree, we'll add 10% to your commision. As I see it, it's an offer you can't refuse. Getting back past the town- against the current this time- will be damn near impossible unless his warband is dispersed. What say you?"


Wearing his red-and-white armband and green beret, Dawid cut as impressive figure as he could under the circumstances.  As there was time to shine his boots, wash up and shave, he did so. The rest was in the hands of the Allmightly.

"Yes, comrade Mayor."

"This man is a grave threat to the region. His men may be disciplined, but he is still a tyrant at heart and thus to be even more feared."

"To be clear, I cannot speak for my comrades, as they are either foreigners, or serve foreigners, or serve Old Adam."

"I am an expert artillerist, and in the name of God, and for the freedom of the Polish people, though it may cost my life, I will fight!"

This message was last edited by the player at 11:02, Tue 22 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 150 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 22 Apr 2008
at 11:30
Re: At the Table
Way to blow everybody's cover, Dawid, Griet thought, thinking quickly. The guy thinks we're representatives of the Krakow ORMO and now has been told that we're a bunch of feckless freebooters. She stepped forward and said, "I know that the Free Government doesn't recognise the Free City of Krakow as a sovereign state, I still represent them, no matter who Dawid chooses to recognise." she paused for a moment hoping that it got through. Without the protection of the Krakow seal, the boat and crew were fair game for anyone. "I have to admit that your idea has merit. I will obviously need to discuss with you some unsheduled changes that have been made to Krakow's plans, but your suggestion for an attack on the Hetman does not run counter to these plans, as they involve keeping the river open for trade. We have several things to discuss and I'm sure that the trade expedition's tactical commanders will alos have comments to make. As for Old Adam," she injected as much cold disdain into her voice as she could, "he is a pawn in the game of politics, he will do what we decide or he will be removed."