Ch. 9: Sandomierz.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: archive 0
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 71 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 2 May 2008
at 02:10
At the briefing
After Konrad's warning order, Dave voices his own concerns. Captain, they want to start the attack in the middle of the afternoon? With three to four hours of daylight left? Wouldn't a dawn attack be more feasible? I know it's a cliche, but there's reasons for the whole "we attack at dawn" thing. Hit them early enough, and maybe they won't be up and about yet. Plus you have all day to do any mopping up. We could position our forces under the cover of darkness, possibly reducing the the chance they notice us, and lessening the time they have to react.

And from a personal standpoint, I'd like to be ashore when the attack happens. Those bastards confiscated every bit of gear I had left. I was left with the clothes on my back and my boots. I think they would have taken my boots too, but they don't have anybody who could fill them. I know my stuff is gone, but I would like to start building up a stake, in case we lose the boat, and for after this job is over.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 623 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 2 May 2008
at 03:24
Re: At the briefing
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
After Konrad's warning order, Dave voices his own concerns. Captain, they want to start the attack in the middle of the afternoon? With three to four hours of daylight left? Wouldn't a dawn attack be more feasible? I know it's a cliche, but there's reasons for the whole "we attack at dawn" thing. Hit them early enough, and maybe they won't be up and about yet. Plus you have all day to do any mopping up. We could position our forces under the cover of darkness, possibly reducing the the chance they notice us, and lessening the time they have to react.

And from a personal standpoint, I'd like to be ashore when the attack happens. Those bastards confiscated every bit of gear I had left. I was left with the clothes on my back and my boots. I think they would have taken my boots too, but they don't have anybody who could fill them. I know my stuff is gone, but I would like to start building up a stake, in case we lose the boat, and for after this job is over.


"I don't have any say in the timing of the attack. It's not our show ja?" he says. "But look. We are in a supporting role here... behind the action. Any thing bad happens, its likely we won't be taking it or at least surprised by it. Thats the only way I can say to look at it in a positive way... its weak I know, but we don't have much choice."

"As for joining to FOO party, well... The tug is going to need its weapons manned and its already shorthanded. But I understand. Tell you what... if we can get a few locals to assist aboard like we hoped, I won't have a problem with it. The major is going to be in command so I'll leave it up to her to decide if she can operate with the manpower she'll have. OK?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 577 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 2 May 2008
at 07:00
Re: At the briefing
Anneka sought out Konrad after she'd spend some time assessing their manpower needs for the coming battle.

"Although we can possibly make do with the few we have, I think we should ask for at least six of the ORMO."

"At least one for a DShK, one for a PKM, two more as assistant loaders for Dawid and Minh, and the remainder as number twos on the DShKs."

"I'm not yet sure who'll be assigned the AGS, but as we'll have both the mortar and Mk-19 operational, I'm not too sure it'll be necessary under normal conditions."


Normal conditions. Whatever that was! In Annekas mind it involved them staying out of the raging battle and supplying only supporting fire. In that event, it was quite possible to shuffle some of the machinegunners around to operate it.

"Even a couple of civilians might be of some use, to help with loading, damage control and operating the tug."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 217 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 2 May 2008
at 07:08
Re: At the briefing
After all the work had been done, Mariusz spent some time stripping and cleaning his weapons, checking his combat gear and then settled to cook a meal for the crew.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 166 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 2 May 2008
at 07:13
Re: At the briefing
Griet spent some time below checking that the black crew knew what was going on and that they were prepared for damage control if necessary. When she emerged back on deck, she heard the Major talking about bringing extra crew on board. She understood the need and said, "More crew is a good idea, but six would be the maximum we could handle in case of trechery. Instead of asking just for ORMO or civilians, maybe we could ask at the pubs for any mercs around, if merchants trade here, there might be a merc scene, we could look at short term contracts or at hiring on new blood, maybe?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 624 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 2 May 2008
at 07:32
Re: At the briefing
"I am not keen on hiring a third party. And I do remember you and Adam were shared the same feeling when Switek and Mariusz came aboard." Bayer says. Looking at both Soleblume and Griet he continues, "You will be in command of this element so you should decide yourself how you wish to employ anu addition manpower. If possible, replace Stoner so he may join the FOO party. Same goes for the AGS... decide on its use or not."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:32, Fri 02 May 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 209 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 2 May 2008
at 08:31
Re: At the briefing
After the meeting, Quyen approaches Tucker - "Hey sergeant. We gotta some stuff to do it seems. What do you want me to do? Keep working on the defenses, get on the radios, or something else?"

After getting instructions on how to help with the preparations, Quyen will look to the others and say in a joking manner - "Alright there all you lazybones, lets all get to work huh?" Things have been solemn on the tug with Snowy's departure and the tension of the upcoming battle. However, Quyen's spirits were high, motivated and excited.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 73 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 2 May 2008
at 11:05
Re: At the briefing
Konrad Bayer:
"As for joining to FOO party, well... The tug is going to need its weapons manned and its already shorthanded. But I understand. Tell you what... if we can get a few locals to assist aboard like we hoped, I won't have a problem with it. The major is going to be in command so I'll leave it up to her to decide if she can operate with the manpower she'll have. OK?"



Well, if don't happen, it don't happen. I'll live with it.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 696 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 2 May 2008
at 12:28
Re: Absolution and Advice
Cap'n Rae:
"All men are tyrants in their hearts. The Russian, he is no different. The people of this town are safe and they are grateful. They live in peace and relative prosperity because of the labor of others who are not so fortunate. Human bondage is a sinful practice, to be sure. But the commandant has assured those of us who have raised objections that the laborers are simply serving out a kind of indenture. They are fed, clothed, given shelter; a year of labor in the mines or the fields and they will be given citizenship. We shall see. I visit their camps and they are, on the whole, cared for... adequately. From what I have heard, Tarnobrzeg certainly has no claim to moral high ground. Yet I fear a contest between the two strongmen. This area has been quiet for many months and more death benefits no one but Lucifer. Your group should leave here and be on their way before more blood is shed."


Dawid nodded, troubled.

"Thank you, Father."

"So many have died, yet still we fight among ourselves."

"It is good that at if the labour is conscripted, the people will be allowed a better opportunity. If God allows, I will return one day to see if the Commandant has kept his word."

"I will take your counsel and ask my fellows to not aid in this attack. Go with God."


He thanked him and left.

Once back on the boat he sought out Anneka and Konrad and related what the Priest said.

"...so it seems the labourers are conscripted, but in exchange for food and shelter and citizenship."

"The Priest advised we not take part in more senseless killing. Is pulling out an option, whether or not the Commandant knows ahead of time?"

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 374 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 2 May 2008
at 13:08
Re: At the briefing
Minh Quyen:
After the meeting, Quyen approaches Tucker - "Hey sergeant. We gotta some stuff to do it seems. What do you want me to do? Keep working on the defenses, get on the radios, or something else?"
Tucker looks at Minh, "I'm not sure.  I think Major Soleblume is in charge of the tug for this OP.  Me though, I'd say keep working on the tug's defenses while we have the opportunity.  We lose the tug, we're shit outta luck when we  got to leave here.  Might not be a bad idea either to have yourself or one of the others work on the commo lines for the ship.  It'd be nice to have them operational before the attack.  That's just me though.  I'm not trying to step on the Major's toes here Minh, I got into it with her before and I'm not looking for that to happen again!"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:08, Fri 02 May 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 74 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 3 May 2008
at 01:01
Getting ready
Dave helps sort and stow the ammo brought aboard by the consctipts. Thinking about it, he finds Anneka.
Hey Boss-lady, he says. I'm going to grab some of these 40 mm grenades for my launcher. You think half a dozen will be enough, since we'll be on the tug? I don't know what weapon you'll have me on, but I want a few with me in case I have to leave my station to reinforce or treat someone.

After finding out her answer, he makes his rounds of the party, checking on each to make sure thier personal first aid kit is stocked, and easly accessable.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 692 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 3 May 2008
at 18:39
The Hour of Battle Approaches

H-hour for the oddly scheduled afternoon attack on Tarnobrzeg approaches. During the preceding hours, the Vasilek position has been improved with extra armor, the AGS-17 has been mounted on the bridge roof behind a low, broad, sheet metal-reinforced sandbagged wall, and the aft Dushka and Mk-19 positions have been strengthened with sheet metal and surplus sandbags from the old barge gun position.

A light rain begins to fall as the full security team assembles for a briefing on the attack plan. Everyone has been well fed and the previous night's rest has the team energized and thinking clearly. Belowdecks, Grzyech and Luboslaw begin to prep the engines for action. Walter and Snow- in his last act as part of the Krolowa's party- detach the barge with its new bunker- resembling a squat hatbox resting atop an overturned baking tray- from the tug. Looking southwards, the group can see and hear the Sandomierz militia's BTR and BMPs, along with a few trucks and UAZ jeeps, crossing the bridge to assemble on the east bank of the Vistula.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:29, Sat 03 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 169 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 3 May 2008
at 21:32
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Griet took up her position on the PKMG and checked her kit was all ready. She firmly secured her helmet under her chin and turned to wave at Adam. This venture was a risky one, but hopefully it would help secure the future security of the boat. She looked at the sketch map she had of the battle zone. Thinking for a moment she leant over the rail and called to Dawid, "Dawid, how much WP do we have left? I was thinking that if we hit the Recoiless Rifle with a WP cloud we might drive the crew away. If we hope to secure some heavy weaponry out of this, we can't go blowing it all up."
Sam McCoy
 player, 15 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 3 May 2008
at 21:34
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
"Tug this is 29 savoy, radio check over."

"I will be your laison for the attack. "

" Will call for fires when needed"

"you are cleared for all fire on the three shore bunkers"

"after that call to confirm with me so there is no blue on blue"

"29 savoy out"
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 76 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 3 May 2008
at 23:38
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Dave cracks open the case of Soviet 40mm grenades and stuffs 3 into his pockets. That gives him a total of 6. He makes a quick function check of his AK, and ensures his aid bag is out of the way for access to his ammo, but still within easy reach.

He approaches Anneka and asks "Major, where ya want me? And don't tell me naked in your rack, we don't have time that that foolishness", he says with a smile and a wink.

Dave
AK-74, 6 full mags
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Bayonet

Jason Kasparov
 player, 186 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 4 May 2008
at 14:41
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Jason collects his AK-74, and a dozen extra magazines from the hold. Strapping on his helmet, his combat gear and a few grenades, he heads to the deck and looks for Minh.

"Did the assign us positions while I was sleeping? My old position is kinda destroyed. " He smiles at the girl. "Never did have that card game, did we?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 375 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 4 May 2008
at 15:19
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Tucker assembles on deck and watches the work crews take off the barge that has limited the tug's ability for evasive actions.  He is in his full combat MOLLE gear and body armor with his M-16/M-203 (loaded HE Round) slung over his shoulder.  He carries only the essentials; weapons, ammo, medical supplies, & water on his person.  Even though there is still a light rain, he still wears his vinyl poncho to keep the chill off his body.

Robert looks to Jason (if he's around), "Looks like we're going to have to hold off on cards until after the OP is over now Jason!"

Tucker
M-16A2 [27/30]/M-203 [HE]
On deck assembled for briefing
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 221 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 4 May 2008
at 22:04
Re: The Bour of Battle Approaches
Mariusz was not totally sure if there would be a shore party or not. As this was the case, he did what troops in memorial have done, he satyed at his post and waited for someone higher up the food chain to tell him what to do. He spent the time checking over his DUSHKA and wondering if Snowy could chrome it for him.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 698 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 5 May 2008
at 06:03
Forward Gun Tub
Dawid examined the gun tub, satisfied that it seemed a little more reinforced than before.

There still wasn't a lot of ammunition, Especially if they were to be performing regular fire missions; they would be out of action in far less than a minute. Oh well, a lot could happen in a minute!

He loaded 1 clip of 5 fragmentation (HE) shells into the Vasilek's magazine and brought the second up to the "ready" position, along with a clip of anti-vehicle (HEDP) in case the hovercraft showed up. If smoke or illumination rounds were needed, they could be handed up from below.

Checking the 2 RPK-74s sitting on their bipods nearby on deck he placed a spare 40-round magazine by each (reloading the second one), plus 2 belt pouches with 6 30-round magazines per weapon. (2 6-mag ammo pouches per RPK-74.)

For himself, he made sure he had 6 spare magazines for the Tantal, plus 6 rounds of spare 40mm HE for the attached BG-15 in the pockets and pouches of his lifchika chest ammo harness that was over his webbing and Kevlar vest. Stechkin was in its holster/stock, clipped to his belt.

Smoking a shared cigarette with whomever else was there, he waited nervously for the now-nimble tug to begin its journey. At the moment he had on his beret, sitting on his salvaged Kevlar helment. Idly, he wondered if the hovercraft was fixed and if they would face it again on the river.

Also, while all war and killing served Lucifer, what did that say about what they were going to do? Trade was important, and the leader of Sandomierz seemed to be more self-interested and concerned about the community, instead of building an empire like the Hetman of Tarnobreg. Should the time come to institute a democratic government, perhaps the commandante of one town would be more tractable than the hetman of the other.

Again, there was a foreigner leading the ORMP there, and another leading the ORMO here. Would we ever be free of the outsiders?



Dawid Piotrowski
Tantal + BG-15 (30/30 + 6 30rd mags, 1/1 HE + 6)
Stechkin (21/21)

Vasilek 5/5 HE, + 5 HE, 5 HEDP

2 AK-74 (40/40 + 1 40rd mag, + 12 30rd mags ea.)


[Private to Cap'n Rae: Dawid took magazines from stores in the hold to provide spare ammunition for the RPK-74s, as well as some 40mm for his own needs.]

This message was last edited by the player at 08:55, Mon 05 May 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 582 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Mon 5 May 2008
at 13:05
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Hey Boss-lady, he says. I'm going to grab some of these 40 mm grenades for my launcher. You think half a dozen will be enough, since we'll be on the tug? I don't know what weapon you'll have me on, but I want a few with me in case I have to leave my station to reinforce or treat someone.

"Take what you need," she replied absently, still trying to work out how she was supposed to use the limited number of available people to crew the many postitions in need of filling.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
He approaches Anneka and asks "Major, where ya want me? And don't tell me naked in your rack, we don't have time that that foolishness", he says with a smile and a wink.

Scratching out yet another draft, she decided that as the plan called for the tug to stand off and stay out of effective small arms range, there was less importance on the machineguns.
"You're assigned to the AGS-17," she frowned. Here they where, shortly heading off into danger once more and he was actually flirting? If he'd not actually been her type, she might have had to say something - probably should anyways since she was an officer and he enlisted.
"I'd suggest locating it on the upper deck, somewhere near the rear DShK, but I'll leave that up to you."
Up on the roof of the bridge felt too exposed to Anneka, especially as Stoner was second medic and would need the ability to rapidly move about the vessel at will.

Gathering her notes and equipment, she moved about the tug, informing those who where staying aboard their assignments for the attack.

"Dawid, Minh, I don't think you need to be told you're going to stay with the mortar on the bow. Better see if you can scrounge up a radio to receive fire support calls."
Any radio would probably suffice as the only reply they should need to give would be in the form of high explosive rounds on the designated target...

"Hicks, your primary weapon is to be your auto grenade launcher with M240 machinegun as backup." Again, little real suprise there.

"Stan, you're starboard DShK, and Jason, I'd like you on the port DShK. Your primary roles though are lookouts rather than machinegunners. You're also to take over, or assist if necessary with the grenade launchers."
Although she realised the pair had minimal skill with heavier weapons, what choice did they have? At least the plan she'd sweated over had the best people controlling the heaviest weapons.

"Milk, I'd like you to remain in your usual position at the aft DShK but primarily act as fire controller for Hicks and his grenade launcher. You'll also be responsible for maintaining communications with the ground teams."

"Griet, you're to take your usual position with the PKMs and pass any messages between the mortar position, bridge and DShKs."

Without a working intercom between all the positions, Griets job was possibly the most important of all. As had been seen in the previous encounters, effective communication was vital.

"I will be positioned on the upper deck, just behind the smokestack."
She wasn't really sure what use she'd be there, or anywhere for that matter, but it was central. Most likely once they'd moved into position, she'd be superfluous, and very little would really be required of her besides assisting with reloading. Even treating casualties would probably be unnecessary if all went to plan.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 626 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 5 May 2008
at 14:10
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Bayer stands on the main deck, he nods at Tucker and approaches him. "It seems we are not required to go ashore for the FOO party. I am still keen on getting a team on the ground to acquire a limited amount of war spoils. We should take advantage of this to rebuild our trading processions. Stoner too... since he's got just the shirt on his back. What do you think about that sergeant?" he asks.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 376 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 5 May 2008
at 14:22
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer stands on the main deck, he nods at Tucker and approaches him. "It seems we are not required to go ashore for the FOO party. I am still keen on getting a team on the ground to acquire a limited amount of war spoils. We should take advantage of this to rebuild our trading processions. Stoner too... since he's got just the shirt on his back. What do you think about that sergeant?" he asks.
Tucker smiles as he listens to Konrad's idea of his own 'war spolis' shore team.  "I got no problem with that idea sir!  I think it might do us good to see how the other half is living and I want in on your plan.  They can't use it if their dead sir!"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 627 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 5 May 2008
at 14:29
Upper Deck
Bayer nods to Tucker's enthusiastic response. "Ja. Ok... I will pass on our intentions." He then heads up to the upper deck in search of the Major.

"Doctor. As we are not needed to provide a FOO party, we also are unable to collect some of the war spoils as intended. Can you manage without three of us? Has Griet determined if there are reinforcements coming?" he asks Anneka.

"I still believe it would be in our interest to do so. To collect our fair share of captured arms and munitions." he continues. "We won't go if you cannot manage with what you have. So I'd like to have an answer."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 699 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 5 May 2008
at 15:45
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Anneka Soleblume:
Gathering her notes and equipment, she moved about the tug, informing those who where staying aboard their assignments for the attack.

"Dawid, Minh, I don't think you need to be told you're going to stay with the mortar on the bow. Better see if you can scrounge up a radio to receive fire support calls."
Any radio would probably suffice as the only reply they should need to give would be in the form of high explosive rounds on the designated target...


Dawid looked at Anneka and then to Minh.

"Major, some considerations."

"I think that communications can be done over the telephone, as long as someone with a radio is on the other end of the line. If that's not enough, then Clarence should be stationed here, at the tug's critical weapons system."

"Second, the er, hover vehicle... it is only damaged, and could be back. Let us establish a warning code for the lookouts, so that when sounded I will know to reload the Vasilek with anti-vehicle rounds; we may have no time to lose. Perhaps three blasts on the tug's whistle, or a verbal code: "COSSACK"."

"Third, if we have anyone ashore to recover weapons and ammunition, I strongly recommend 82mm shells be top of the list. We know there are mortars there, it should be possible."

"Lastly, should it come to this, if it seems like the ORMO onboard (if any come) might try and take the boat, I will volunteer to enter the ammunition magazine below the Vasilek so that we may threaten to explode it if the tug is taken away."


Dawid Piotrowski
Tantal + BG-15 (30/30 + 6 30rd mags, 1/1 HE + 6)
Stechkin (21/21)

Vasilek 5/5 HE, + 5 HE, 5 HEDP

2 AK-74 (40/40 + 1 40rd mag, + 12 30rd mags ea.)

This message was last edited by the player at 15:51, Mon 05 May 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 77 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 5 May 2008
at 22:14
Re: Forward Gun Tub
Anneka Soleblume:
"You're assigned to the AGS-17," "I'd suggest locating it on the upper deck, somewhere near the rear DShK, but I'll leave that up to you."
Up on the roof of the bridge felt too exposed to Anneka, especially as Stoner was second medic and would need the ability to rapidly move about the vessel at will.


"I will be positioned on the upper deck, just behind the smokestack."
She wasn't really sure what use she'd be there, or anywhere for that matter, but it was central. Most likely once they'd moved into position, she'd be superfluous, and very little would really be required of her besides assisting with reloading. Even treating casualties would probably be unnecessary if all went to plan.


Aye, aye, Ma'm. And may I suggest that you post yourself further forward, maybe even in the radio shack? I was thinking I could keep an eye on the crew from the rear upper deck, and you could watch forward, in case someone gets hit bad and needs our services. I think we may have been able to save old Viktor, if one of us had known he was hit bad.