Ch. 9: Sandomierz.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: archive 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 660 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 12 Apr 2008
at 21:21
Capter 9: Sandomierz

“There is nothing regular about the Vistula, nothing sorted out by human work, everything has been designed by thousand-year old natural processes, disheveled, mutually penetrating and interwoven in countless curvatures. Scandalous mess, shocking water engineers and navigators.”

-Wojciech Giełżyński
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 661 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 12 Apr 2008
at 22:23
Capter 9: Sandomierz

Saturday, October 7th, 2000
1200 hrs.
Sandomierz, Poland
40 F
Heavy Clouds


Chopper and Switek are the first to arrive on the outskirts of the small city of Sandomierz, once one of Poland's most important but having been reduced in significance over recent centuries to a quaint tourist destination. At least, that was its status before the war. Its current status is somewhat murky, although the Hetman of Tarnobrzeg intimated that Sandomierz was once again becoming a regional force. On Adam's last trip down and back up the Vistula, Sandomierz had been garrisoned by a group of unpleasantly disposed Polish army troops. Since then, the regime had changed, and its mercantile feelers had managed to stretch all the way out to Krakow, precipitating the Visla Krolowa's current trade mission.

On the landward approach to the medieval city, the requisite heavily armed checkpoint bars the way along the highway. An apparently immobile M-113 APC, surrounded by a thick layer of sandbags and topped by a KPV HMG, has been parked along the road about a kilometer outside the city proper. A large truck, similarly modified but unarmed, book-ends the road on the other side. At least a dozen armed men, half clad in civilian garb, the other sporting Soviet uniforms, man the position. At the sight of the approaching three-wheeled "technical", the men quickly take up defensive positions and bring their weapons to bear on the approaching strangers.

From the river, the city looms larger as the Krolowa creeps nearer on its one good engine, the other having been shut down until Jozef has a chance to inspect it thoroughly for damage after the Czech's brief rampage. A much battered medieval fortress, once the stronghold of Polish hero Casimir the Great, overlooks the river from the heights on the southern edge of town. The bridge across the river appears intact, if a little worse for wear. A bunker sits at its midpoint. Peeling white paint adorns most of the bridge, save for two large segments of the span which appear to have been repaired or rebuilt after what was probably an airstrike or two, some time ago.

The city itself is an odd admixture of the medieval and the modern, both similarly abused and neglected in recent years, giving the overall impression of lingering death and slow decay. In its day, it must have been quite beautiful. Now, with a band of thick grey clouds approaching from the north, the city appears unwelcome, geriatric, almost ominous. How the city, with its standing road bridge over the Vistula, and less than a 100km from the seat of the Polish Communist government at Lublin, has managed to avoid WARPACT military cantoment is anybody's guess.

An armed pilot boat meets the Krolowa about a kilometer from the city. Its independent ORMO representative boards the tug and, once satisfied that it is the long-awaited, legitimate merchant vessel from Krakow and not an IPAT Trojan Horse, returns to his vessel to guide the tug to the Sandomierz Boatyard.

The boatyard looks more like a junkyard, a myriad of rusted, derelict vessels bobbing in the river nearby or dragged up and deposited onto the shore. The repair facilities, although reputedly once quite well staffed and thoroughly equipped, look to have been used seldomly in the last few years. Bits and pieces of equipment lie around happhazzardly, the larger machines- compressors, welding equipment, cranes, loaders, and the like- appear to have been commandeered for use elsewhere or stripped for spare parts.

A small welcoming party waits by the slips, a half-dozen armed men surrounding a small, spectacled, balding VIP clad in a black trench coat. An armed footman holding an umbrella over the dignitary's bare pate stands at his side. As the Krolowa is slowly and deftly manouvered into place along the facility's sturdiest looking pier, the welcoming party approaches and, as Walter and Snowy secure the now stationary tug to the stauntions set into the concrete dock, climbs aboard.

Approaching the members of the tug's crew assembled on (or overlooking) the main deck, the small man speaks in a high, lilting, almost efemminate voice,

"Welcome to Sandomierz. I am Nalor Sosin, mayor of Sandomierz. We have been anxiously awaiting your safe arrival. I hope that the folks in Tarnobrzeg did not give you too much trouble?"

The man's smile wanes as he notes the overtly unammused reaction of the tug's contingent to his attempt at levity.

"I see. I am sorry for your... er, trouble. Well, you are safe here, at least. We must speak more of the situation at Tarnobrzeg later. Please, though, do not trouble yourselves about it any longer. You are all free to come ashore. There are a handful of pubs, taverns, and restaurants still in operation within the city. I must insist, however, that all firearms be left on board your vessel for the duration of your stay. Only members of the city guard are allowed to carry weapons within the city. I must return to the castle in order to schedule a meeting with the Commandant to finalize the terms of our trade agreement with the Krakow Rada. He will likely wish to speak to you after his afternoon nap- say, at around three o-clock, or so. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to do as you wish. Please, make yourselves at home."

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:27, Sat 03 May 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 132 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 09:02
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Griet finished looking over her papers, she had three more hours to prepare for the meeting, she hoped the results were better than her last negotiations, not that the meeting with the Hetman had been a failure, fighting against T'brzeg's prepared positions would probably have killed them all, but even one death left a bad taste in the mouth.

She looked at the ship's inventory and cargo manifest and tried to find a way of meeting all the priorities she had. She rubbed her forehead and stoped for a while. She headed out onto the wheeldeck and found the Major and Kaptain. She cleared her throat and began, "Major, Kaptain, this port of call may be the last chance we have to trade for anything we need on this trip. After this, if you and Adam insist on heading on, things will get ever more difficult. Now, despite my duties to the Krakow ORMO, I have to admit that I don't relish having to try to force a passage through the Hetman's lands again. If this place has a radio powerful enough to reach Krakow, I will reccomend that they send a military expedition to deal with the problem. If there isn't such a radio, we are pretty much on our own. I will try to alter the deal I am authorised to make so that we can buy the things we need to support Adam's dream and defend the boat. At the same time, the boat security unit has accumulated some goods that have value. I would suggest that you use the opportunity to trade offf the extra arms we have for things that will help ensure the survival and comfort of individual team weapons, I will do my best to secure heavy weaponry and ammunition. I would appreciate people's advice on what ammo and arms I should try for."
Jay 'Chopper' Hicks
 player, 127 posts
 EN1 (Engineman 1st Class)
 U.S. Navy
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 10:19
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Hicks slows the Ural motorcycle down and pulls in the clutch, allowing it to coast to a stop. He keeps both hands on the grips. "Well Mr. Switek, I hope that you can talk a pretty talk. I'm sure glad you're here instead of my fellow American. How do you want to handle this?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 569 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 11:56
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Bayer digs out his ragged field pad and reads over the list of items they had expressed a need for. He ignored the 23mm ammo for obvious reasons. "I think nobody will disagree that our main interest is 82mm mortar bombs. As far as weapons are concerned, I would much rather spend what we can on mortar and AGS ammunition than more weapons. The weight in ammo is far more valuable and practical than extra guns. Although something cheap with an anti-armour capability may be necessary in the Pact controlled area... a recoilless rifle perhaps."

Nodding to the dock he adds, "You also need to tell them as soon as possible we are expecting to meet some of our people here. We would appreciate some help in getting back together."

Looking at the town he continues, "Changing the topic somewhat again... nobody goes wandering around town alone at anytime. Also, not everyone goes at the same time for shore time. We'll get two shifts going."

Looking back at Griet and the others in the bridge he gets back on track, "Ja. So... thats where I stand. Mortar and AGS ammo. And if anything larger, something simple to defeat armour at medium range... but even then..." he trails off.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:57, Sun 13 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 133 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 12:13
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Griet nodded, "That is wise, Kaptain," she agreed, "if you arrange shore parties and rosters, I'll inform the authorities of our friends immediately."

She gingerly climbed down to the main deck and walked over to one of the guards on the shore, "Excuse me," she began politely, "we have two companions coming here by road. they are in a motor-cycle and side car combination and carrying an American heavy grenade launcher. We would be greatful if they could be allowed to join us as soon as possible. Would you relay that to whoever is in charge of the road entrances please?"

Once she was sure the guard had understood, she went back to working out what they'd be likely to get for their cargo, as well as what they needed. She made her way back up to the Bridge and said to Adam, "I've worked out what we need to get for each person we pick up, it is quite a lot, at least several bicycles per person. Could you give me a rough estimate as to how many you want me to prepare for? It is important as it will impact on what we can trade for in ammo. We need to balance having the firepower to get to Warsaw with being able to cater for the people we are rescuing. This cargo is the last stuff we have that we can trade, with it we need to equip ourselves to get to Warsaw and to return to wherever it is your family needs to settle. I'd advise against Krakow, we are burning our bridges to there as we speak."
Minh Quyen
 player, 180 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 12:54
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
After stowing the dead IPAT away and collecting her handcuffs, Quyen returned to the bow to watch the tug enter Sandomierz. After it was moored and the meeting with the mayor concluded, she wandered over to her gear. She was expecting, or hoping rather, for some free time. Digging out what few meager trade items she had left, she imagined what she might look for in any open market she hoped to come across. Smokes topped the list, but wasn't the only thing she was looking for of course.

While she waited for orders, she changed into her her cleanest and most unratty clothes. Slipping on her green Adidas hoody and a pair of US issue trousers that Mariusz had recently washed, she then sits on the railing of the tug.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:55, Sun 13 Apr 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 570 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 13:59
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Bayer writes down the names of the team and splits them into two shifts. After erasing and making some minor changes he gathers everyone and assembles them on the forward deck. "Ok. Shift rotation for shore leave... First group ashore will be myself, Griet, Quyen, Dawid, Kasparov, and Stoner. Thats six. We will go ashore for a couple hours, then at 1500 meet with their commandant, before returning."

Continuing, "Meanwhile, Major Soleblume will command the detail on the tug with Milk, Tucker, Snowy, and Mariusz. Thats five and whatever ships crew as well. I won't include Chopper or Switek at this time. Anyways... this group will remain to provide ship security and maintenance. When the first shift returns, the second group will have a couple hours in town so we all get an equal chance."

Looking at the nearly dozen or so faces he adds, "OK? Questions or problems?"

OOC - I split the group simply based on some people being away or won't be posting for a while, or being an NPC (Milks). Thought it'd be easier to post this way. By the time the second group is going to head to shore people should be back to posting I think. Is everyone ok with this or does it not really matter?

This message was last edited by the player at 14:00, Sun 13 Apr 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 52 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 13 Apr 2008
at 21:05
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Sounds fine by me Captain. I can stay aboard if you need me too. Those asswipes outside of T-breg took all my personal trade goods anyhow. Just one question, though. What do we do with the dead bodies? I'd like to see Viktor get a decent burial, but I don't think the locals would appreciate us tossing the other two overboard. Kind of unhealthy, just keeping them on board.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:08, Sun 13 Apr 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 665 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 00:13
Re: Capter 9: Sandomierz
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Sounds fine by me Captain. I can stay aboard if you need me too. Those asswipes outside of T-breg took all my personal trade goods anyhow. Just one question, though. What do we do with the dead bodies? I'd like to see Viktor get a decent burial, but I don't think the locals would appreciate us tossing the other two overboard. Kind of unhealthy, just keeping them on board.


Dawid's powerful body was quivering in outrage. He looked like he was holding back from choking the living shit out of someone by sheer force of will alone.

"Shame on you."

"Even suggesting we dump the body of my friend Artur in the river like... spoiled meat. Instead of giving him a proper Christian burial. Even that Czech was just doing his job and deserves better than that."

"I am very well aware that to you, we Poles (and even the Czechs) are bestial subhumans, but in this matter, yes, I am having to insist."


He bent down and with a grunt began rolling Artur's body in the scavenged tarpaulin that he had helped fold not too long ago, while still alive. Trying to make it look like he rubbing his eyes due to fatigue, he wiped his eyes.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 157 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 03:22
Re: On the Road again...
"I'll help you bury him,Dawid." Jason says rounding the corner. "As long as Konrad has no objections. The two of us could have him buried in under two hours. Less if others help."
Jason looked down at Viktor. "I should have been there, on that station. I owe him that much."Jason looked about. "I'll play porter after that my friends. I didn;t bring much in trade except the M-60 barrel."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:24, Mon 14 Apr 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 191 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 06:39
Re: On the Road again...
Mariusz walked the deck slowly and carefully, watching out for any danger that might threaten the ship.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 571 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 06:41
Re: On the Road again...
"The ahh, people here may have procedures and people assigned to take care of the dead. Perhaps we should consult with them first... if anything to ask for a suitable location. Its their land ja?" Bayer says. "Handling this sort of matter may be organized and such here."

He looks back at Stoner and adds, "I split the group, but if anyone does not wish to go ashore thats ok. I was more worried about leaving the boat unattended than anything. Even with no trade goods, I think it might be good for us to get some time off this boat and if possible and not worry about getting shot."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:42, Mon 14 Apr 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 135 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 14 Apr 2008
at 06:48
Re: On the Road again...
"If you do see something you think would help, come back and talk to us. If it's a big ticket item that will help the boat survive, I might be able to talk Adam into including it in the negotiations," Griet said, "if it's smaller or more personal, the stored weapons in the arms locker are the security unit's to do with as they see fit. I'm sure that the Major and the Kaptain would release some unused weapons for trade, unless they are planning to switch to PACT weaponry to help with ammo resupply."