Ch. 10: Annopol to Solec.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 216 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 20 Jul 2008
at 14:23
Re: Starboard Dushka
Griet nodded at Dawid's order and grabbed some HE rounds. She topped off the loader and then moved back to the ammo store, ready to get more. The first encounter had gone the way it'd been planned, in outcome, if not execution, they could only hope that the next phase was equally successful, thinking about the tank, Griet said, "In the Navy, we would aim our big guns for plunging shots, the top armour is weaker than the sides, would such a thing work with a tank? It might trade accuracy for greater effect."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 813 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 20 Jul 2008
at 21:38
Starboard, forward PKM
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He shouted up at the bridge, "Clarence, would you like another at those coordinates? Cease firing?"


"Er, wait one, gunner!"

Clarence surveys the kill zone through his NVGs. The previously bright green of the snow covered field is now mostly black, its surface having been churned to mud by the heavy fire. Only a couple of the enemy are moving at all and not a one has returned fire. There's no use in using up any more of the precious mortar ammunition.

"All gunners, check fire! Stay sharp people- we aint through this mess yet. OK, it looks like Sam and Tucker are moving in to check the kill zone. Cover 'em, Jason. I'm moving up to the bridge to get on the radio."

OOC: I think that Anneka has Clarence's radio and someone in the ambush party has Switek's set, right?
Sam McCoy
 player, 64 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 20 Jul 2008
at 22:05
Clearing

Sam will move quickly through the ambush site putting single rounds into the heads of all moving or non-moving combatants on the field. He will have his weapon slung with the large pistol out. He will cover the bodies as Tucker clears them.


"Lets move fast. Sling their weapons and cut off their chest rigs."

Sam
Grim reaper
Pistol

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:19, Mon 21 July 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 153 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 21 Jul 2008
at 11:06
Making like a goalie....
and getting the puck out of there!


One thousand thirteen, one thousand fourteen, fuck this it's time to leave! Stoner turns and runs for the river.

(If the river was deep enough, he'll dive into it; other wise he'll run until it's about thigh deep and do a shallow dive and swim away.


Stoner
running to the river
MP-5, silenced, 27 rounds
bayonet
2 AT grenades

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 815 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 21 Jul 2008
at 19:01
Narrow Escapes

Back Into the Drink

Stoner lunges for the steep bank just a few meters away. Bullets crack off of the asphalt at his heels as the alert bridge guard continues spraying automatic fire at the slippery saboteur. Stoner leaps forward and half rolls, half slides down the muddy, partially frozen riverbank. As he splashes into the icy river, an explosion echoes into the night as the first demolition charge cooks off with a lound bang. As he crawls further into the river, the second charge detonates with a hollow boom. Floating with the current he looks back and sees the fire-lit silhouette of the T-55.

With its commander dead or wounded and the effects of the two demolitions charges, the tank isn't likely going to trouble his companions on the tug. The bridge guards are keeping their distance from the burning tank. A few of them fire hopefully into the river on both sides of the bridge but it's very soon apparent that none of them have actually spotted Stoner.

Now, if only he can keep from freezing to death.

The Killing Fields

As Mariusz and Minh move forward towards the foot bridge in order to provide overwatch, Sam and Tucker move into the killing zone to recover weapons and ammunition*. The kill zone is a bloody mess. While tucker strips the dead, Sam moves deliberately and mercilessly through the field, putting .45 slugs into the heads of all of the enemy, dead and wounded alike. For several of the wounded soldiers, it proves to be a blessing of sorts. Two of them have severed arms thanks to hits by the big 12.7mm Dushka bullets. Others have taken dozens of grenade and mortar fragments. None of them likely would have survived without a quick trip to a well equiped field hospital.

A couple of dozen meters away, at the back end of the shattered diamond formation, a slightly wounded Spetznaz soldier lies curled up in the fetal position, playing possum. During the first few seconds of the one-sided firefight, he'd been shocked into inaction by the sudden violence of the massive barrage of incoming fire. As the seconds dragged into what seemed like hours, he'd been ubable to return effective fire without endangering his comrades and calling more hellfire down upon himself. As the men around him were torn to pieces by bullets and shrapnel, he knew the fight was all but over. Running would expose him to the undivided attention of his would-be-executioners. So, he decided to play dead, hoping against hope that he'd be left alone. It was a long shot, but it was the only shot he had.

After several minutes during which the moans and whimpers of his wounded comrades were systematically snuffed out, it became very apparent to the wounded Spetznaz soldier what his likely fate would be. He decided then that he would not die like a dog; he would go down fighting, like a man. He gets to his knees as quickly as possible, wobbly from blood loss. Bringing his rifle up, he sights on the man with the silenced pistol and pulls the trigger. Rounds spray from the barrel of his AK-74, snapping all around the tall killer.

The primitive parts of Sam's brain instantly recognizes the danger and his body's muscle memories take control. As bullets crack past his head, McCoy settles into a low crouch and fires one round, center-mass, at his unexpected assailant. The .45 caliber bullet strikes right above the low collar on the Russian's body armor, knocking him backwards into the muddy slush. Sam walks calmly over and finishes the man.


It's all over in less than five seconds.

The ambush team has bagged quite a haul of captured weapons and ammunition, far too much to comfortably carry with them. The tug is still holding station just a few hundred meters away awaiting word from the ambush team.

A distant explosion, followed shortly by another, echoes into the early morning darkness, hinting at the success of Stoner's tank killing mission. Hopefully the suicidally brave SEAL medic survived the mission. From the tug, a distant glow can be seen off to the north; the sound of distant gunfire adds substance to the dim hope.

Actions?

OOC: *Recovered from the kill zone: 5 AK-74 rifles, 1 AK-74 w/ BG-15 GL (loaded), 1 RPK-74 SAW, 42 full thirty-round 5.45mm b magazines, 2 40mm grenades, and one pair of functioning Soviet NVGs. The enemy squad's radio is shredded by bullets and shrapnel.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:56, Tue 22 July 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 714 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 22 Jul 2008
at 09:07
Re: Narrow Escapes
"Lets go!" Bayer yells. "Grab it all... head to the shore. Mariusz, you and I are last to leave."

As his companions collect the arms and ammo, he toggles the radio, "Tug, Sunray. Send a pickup quickly. We are pulling out now. Quickly. Over."

Bayer grabs an AK and the NVGs, stuffing the magazines into his shirt.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 154 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 22 Jul 2008
at 11:23
Re: Narrow Escapes
Dave swims underwater long as he can hold his breath, then surfaces for a look. Blinking the cold water from his eyes he looks back at the tank, then starts swimming toward the rondevous point.

Stoner
swimming
MP-5, silenced, 27 rounds
bayonet
2 AT grenades

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 445 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 22 Jul 2008
at 13:35
Re: Narrow Escapes
Tucker goes from body to body after McCoy goes through popping each one with a single round to make sure there isn't any kind of resistance from them.  He gathers everything and begins to sling the weapons and webbings he can carry without being too burdened down.  When he reaches his limit, he signals to McCoy and Bayer that he's ready to move.  "That's it.  I can't get any more shit on me and I'm not trying to sink like a stone," Tucker says as he grabs the RPK in his free hand and begins to move off after Bayer and Mariusz.

Tucker
RPK (in hand)
Loaded with weapons and gear heading to pick up point
Sam McCoy
 player, 66 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 22 Jul 2008
at 14:40
Re: Narrow Escapes
Sam looks back at the rest of the patrol and signals and yells....


"Area clear! We need help here with weapons and gear... Everyone grab an extra weapon and some magazines. I expect we are moving out Captain? I will take point with Tucker and clear the way back if that's OK?"

Sam will reload and rearm himself. He will carry the M25 and holster the pistol. He will carry 2 AK-74s on his back to help.

Sam
recieveing orders
M25

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:45, Tue 22 July 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 286 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 22 Jul 2008
at 17:48
Re: Narrow Escapes
Mariusz grabbed a couple of rifles and the chest rigs. Weighed down with all the extra gear, he stood, his legs straddled and covered the rear of the group with the M240.


Mariusz
M240 255/355

Jason Kasparov
 player, 221 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 22 Jul 2008
at 18:15
Re: Narrow Escapes
Jason takes a few deep breaths and relaxes a bit to let his adrenaline level subside.  Remaining at the ready behind the DShK, he calls out to Clarence, "You want me to stay here, Mister Milk? or shall I go back to keep watch on the port side while you take over here?"


Jason K.
Starboard Dushka
Awaiting instructions

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 217 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 22 Jul 2008
at 18:18
Re: Narrow Escapes
Griet made sure that everything around the mortar position was secure and tidy before she called up to Milk, "If you need me to cover a position, just call, otherwise I'll support Dawid here."
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 164 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Tue 22 Jul 2008
at 19:49
Krolowa's Bridge
Konrad Bayer:
As his companions collect the arms and ammo, he toggles the radio, "Tug, Sunray. Send a pickup quickly. We are pulling out now. Quickly. Over."


Clarence picks up the radio handset and responds,

"Roger Sunray, pickup is en route."

He turns to Walter who nods his understanding, exiting the bridge and heading for the Zodiac.

From the open bridge door, Clarence responds to Jason and Griet,

"Stay put for now. The ambush team is on its way back. When they're back on board, we'll get sorted out."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:53, Tue 22 July 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 260 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 23 Jul 2008
at 01:49
Re: Narrow Escapes
Konrad Bayer:
"Lets go!" Bayer yells. "Grab it all... head to the shore. Mariusz, you and I are last to leave."

As his companions collect the arms and ammo, he toggles the radio, "Tug, Sunray. Send a pickup quickly. We are pulling out now. Quickly. Over."


Quyen taps Mariusz on the back, "Well done." she says says as she get up. Leaving the machinegun position she rushes forward and grabs a couple rifles. Opening her backpack, she tosses in as many magazines as it will hold.

Following Tucker and McCoy, she leaves Mariusz and Bayer to act as the rear guard. The backpack straps strain under the weight of a couple hundred linked machinegun rounds, a claymore, a mine, and a load of AK mags. Hunched over, she races after the lead soldiers.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 763 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 23 Jul 2008
at 09:38
Bow Weapons Position
Seeing that the engagement was over being instructed to cease firing, Dawid helped Griet top up the Mortar's magazine.

"Let's stand down for the moment."

"We did some damage all right."

"The down side is now the defenders at the bridge know there is artillery. I guess if this is our nemesis, they already knew. Perhaps some of the conscripts were scared off! We can only hope."

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 817 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 23 Jul 2008
at 17:42
The Next Hurdle

The ambush team, with their load of captured weapons and ammunition, are ferried back to the waiting tug. As soon as Walter is back on the bridge, she nudges out into the main channel and begins steaming ponderously towards the Annopol bridge. The crew can only hope that Stoner succeeded in removing the threat of the T-55. If it is still operational, its 100mm gun will be able to tear the tug apart from long range. In that case, the only chance the crew has is a lucky top shot with an 82mm HEDP round- not likely, even with Dawid's remarkable gunnery skills. OOC: I guess I should have put Stoner in another group so that ya'll wouldn't know whether he'd completed his mission or not. Sorry for killing the suspense.

The security team members take up their respective battle stations and prepare to fight their way past the remaining bridge defenders. The party has no way of knowing it, but they've single-handedly eliminated almost all of the Spetznaz personel attached to the Soviet Reserve Front headquarters. However, the bridge garrison is still pretty substantial and it's entirely possible, if not probable, that they've called for help from one of the other garrisons on the road to Lublin.

Stoner, meanwhile, bobs along, somewhat disoriented and growing weaker by the minute. He has no way of recognizing the rendezvous in the dark. In fact, he can't even remember where the rendezvouos is supposed to be. He knows that if he stays in the water much longer that he will succumb to its pull and drown. With his last remaining strength, he kicks for the eastern shore. He's back in BUDS training and it's Hell Week.

You wanna give up Stoner? Ring the bell, kid. Ring the bell and you can end it right now...

Something grabs him. It pokes and scratches at his exposed skin, holding him fast as the water continues to race along around him. He grabs at his assailant. It's slick, slimy, and hard to get a hold of. He struggles to maintain his grip, pulling hand over hand until the texture changes. It's dry now, grainy. Wood? Yes, it's wood. Something tugs against him, trying to pull him back into the water. With his last reserves of physical energy, he jerks himself free* and hauls himself onto the muddy bank.

He lies there for what seems like several minutes. He notices that he's no longer shivering which, as far as hypothermia goes, is a bad sign. He has to find some way to dry off and warm himself. He struggles to his knees and begins crawling inland. He thinks he can hear gunfire a ways off, but he's really not sure about much of anything right now. After just a few meters, his arms give out and he collapses onto the ground. Somehow, he manages to roll over and is surprised to see a gap in the overcast directly overhead. He hasn't seen the stars for days. They're beautiful.

A dark shape appears above him, blotting out the twinkling lights. Then the shape does something that strikes Stoner as being very odd- it speaks to him...

Actions?

OOC: *Stoner has lost his MP-5 along with McCoy's SOCOM silencer and the 2 AT grenades.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:14, Wed 23 July 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 156 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 23 Jul 2008
at 21:31
Re: The Next Hurdle
Stoner squints at the dark shape standing over him and slowly realizes in might be a threat. He automatically reaches for the submachinegun he hasn't realized he'd lost and grabs air. Whatdafuck? Did that thing say something? what fucking language was THAT? Que? he asks out loud. This is bad, he thinks, real bad. Maybe if I let him capture me, I'll at least get warm

Stoner
Bayonet
too exhausted to get up.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1 post
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 24 Jul 2008
at 01:16
Re: The Next Hurdle
Sitting in the underbrush and watching the explosions flash in the Russian garrison Jan watched the attack progress. Seeing the explosions rock the tank he decided it was time to start moving. The russins probably had not had time to call for help but this was going to draw a lot of attention.

Moving low through the underbrush he started following the river away from the bridge. As he moves along the bank he hears a splashing gasping sound and freezes for a moment. There ahead of him he haw the sodden figure of aman draging himself from the icey water. Half naked and covered in dark mud and muck he lay on the bank for a moment.

"Merde ! Ressemble à celui-ci est à moitié mort."

Moving closer to get a better look he couldn't see anything to identify the figure. Moving closer and keeping him covered for a moment while he thought about what to do. Whith a quick nod of his head he slung his rifle and reached down to help the figure.

"musimy otrzymywać was zza tutaj mojego przyjaciela."

Grabing ahold of the half frosen man he attempts to pull him into the closest cover.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 157 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 24 Jul 2008
at 01:34
Re: The Next Hurdle
Dave grasps feebly at the bayonet still belted at his hip as the shadow resolves into a man in mixed cammouflage clothing. Too fucking cold to fight, too weak, he decides and lets his hand drop from his last weapon. Probably won't kill me, if he was it would have happened. Maybe I can pass myself for a Spaniard...or maybe an Eyetalion even, with a conscript.

¿Quiénes son usted? he asks as the man drags him farther ashore.



Stoner
Bayonet
too exhausted to get up.

Jan Cerny
 player, 4 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 24 Jul 2008
at 03:36
Re: The Next Hurdle
Once they are in teh underbrush and out of casual sight Jan gets to work trying to revive the half frozen man. Grabbing a couple of handfuls of dry leaves from under a tree he starts wipeing of the water and mud and working his arms and legs a bit to get his heart pumping. Reaching into his pack he pulls out a set of dry BDU's and tries to get them onto the man.While doing this he is constantly looking around for the patrols that are sure to be coming soon, and under his breath he is slowly cursing in a half a dozen languages.

"Eh bien, nous devons bouger.  Vite, vite, di di mao, schnell"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 716 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 24 Jul 2008
at 14:00
Re: The Next Hurdle
Bayer is on the main deck dropping the arms and ammo he carried. Looking up at the bridge he points upriver and in a chopping motion with his arm indicates they need to get moving. "Stand to. We're not through this yet." he says quietly to the other ambush team members before heading up to the bridge.

Entering it he says, "We're going to crash... or crash through." His line, taken from a famous Australian movie, makes him think and wonder about Snowy for a moment. Focusing back on the danger ahead, he keeps watch for the first signs of the enemy force ahead.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:07, Thu 24 July 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 447 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 24 Jul 2008
at 14:10
Re: The Next Hurdle
Cap'n Rae:
The ambush team, with their load of captured weapons and ammunition, are ferried back to the waiting tug. As soon as Walter is back on the bridge, she nudges out into the main channel and begins steaming ponderously towards the Annopol bridge. The crew can only hope that Stoner succeeded in removing the threat of the T-55. If it is still operational, its 100mm gun will be able to tear the tug apart from long range. In that case, the only chance the crew has is a lucky top shot with an 82mm HEDP round- not likely, even with Dawid's remarkable gunnery skills.

The security team members take up their respective battle stations and prepare to fight their way past the remaining bridge defenders. The party has no way of knowing it, but they've single-handedly eliminated almost all of the Spetznaz personel attached to the Soviet Reserve Front headquarters. However, the bridge garrison is still pretty substantial and it's entirely possible, if not probable, that they've called for help from one of the other garrisons on the road to Lublin.

Actions?
Tucker makes his way to the pick-up boat as quickly as his burdened body could take him.  Before he gets in, he tries to take as many of the slung, captured weapons off of him and hand them to somebody in the craft before entering and covering with the captured RPK.

When they finally reach the tug, Tucker hands off the captured equipment and then gets aboard the tug himself then collapsing on the deck to rest for a minute before he hears Bayer give the order to 'Stand To.'  Robert pulls himself off of the deck and heads for his assigned point and checks on the status of the mortar.

Tucker
Slung M-16A2/M-203
Going to check on MOrtar
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 764 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 24 Jul 2008
at 17:42
Re: The Next Hurdle
Dawid noted that Bones seemed to be missing.

He was saddened, another of their company gone. However, he may return! One never knew.

"Griet, let us load the Vasilek with Anti-Armour. If there is a tank, we may only get one shot, let's make it count if we need to! We shall keep a clip of the fragmentation handy to switch it if need be."

"My idea is to start with the 82mm mortar on fully-automatic. Then when we are out of fragmentation we switch to anti-tank. When that is done I shall fire the American 40mm automatic grenade launcher. So much explosives landing in a short period of time may panic conscripts, who won't be able to tell 82mm fragmentation from Anti-tnak from 40mm grenades anyways."


Down behind the barbette wished for a cigarette, knowing it might be the last time.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 218 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 24 Jul 2008
at 19:57
Re: The Next Hurdle
Griet nodded at Dawid's commands and got the required ammunition ready.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 766 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 25 Jul 2008
at 09:31
Re: The Next Hurdle
Dawid continued his thought as they got the mortar ready.

"Now, if there are still people hanging around, like Spetsnaz, we have the phosphor rounds to provide us a smoke screen. And burn them alive!"

"The phosphor will work on the tank if the anti-armour does not."

"We may then be able to get close enough to engage them with the grenade launchers and machine guns."

"If God allows."


He crossed himself for good luck.