Ch. 10: Annopol to Solec.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 223 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 28 Jul 2008
at 09:17
Forward PKMG
"Roger that, Sir," Griet acknowledged and lay the PKMG on the position she'd seen the rocket come from.

She set herself in a firmly braced stance and began to fire on full automatic at the bridge in front of them.

Griet
PKMG 200/200 (belt of 49 on one side)
Clearing jam.



She pulled the trigger and heard a click, jam, she thought, cursing to herself. She pulled the action open and tried to fix the problem. She saw what was wrong, the first cartridge on the belt had fed in wrongly. Working quickly she cleared the jam and unloaded the belt in case the feed problem replicated itself. She unlinked the first fifty, now forty-nine rounds and placed them to one side, she'd check them if she survived this fight. She fed the fresh belt into the action, closed it and readied herself to fire again.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:28, Mon 28 July 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 774 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 28 Jul 2008
at 12:25
Bow Weapons Position
"Shifting fire to centre bunker!"

Dawid shifted fire to the centre LMG bunker, aiming and firing a single round.

"Firing!"

82mm Vasilek (3/5 HEAT)
Firing 1 round HEAT.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 232 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 28 Jul 2008
at 12:25
Barge Bunker
(OOC:  Let's try that again EDIT: and again)

Ignoring the graze on his arm, Jason steadies the M-240 and continues firing three short bursts (5 rounds each) along the bridge, walking the fire toward the west end.

Jason K.
Barge Bunker
M-240
Firing east --> west
along western half of bridge

This message was last edited by the player at 12:59, Mon 28 July 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 292 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 28 Jul 2008
at 12:45
Re: Barge Bunker
Mariusz saw that Jason was OK and refocused on his target, he squeezed the trigger repeatedly, hoping that he could succeed better with single shots than he had on automatic.

Mariusz
AGS 12/29 (2x29 left)
Firing at the centre of the bridge

This message was last edited by the player at 08:49, Tue 29 July 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 685 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Mon 28 Jul 2008
at 13:46
Barge Bunker / Starboard PKM
When everyone reboarded the tug and headed to their respective positions, Anneka followed suit and moved back to the starboard PKM just forward of the bridge. She'd thought to take the radio with her for a moment, but then reconsidered. If the intercom failed, the radio might be the only communication the bunker had while under fire.

Leaving the collection of weapons in the bunker, she clambered back with Sanjay, armed only with the pistol withdrawn from the armoury several days before when she was still suffering the effects of her wounded arm.
"Sanjay, better leave the goggles with me," she said as he prepared to drop through the forward hatch and head to the engine room.
"Not much use below." Much better that they be handed to somebody who really needed them, somebody such as Minh, Tucker or Griet....*

Arriving at her position on the forward companionway, she raised the image intensifiers she'd kept with her to her eyes and surveyed the river in an attempt to locate the missing Stoner...

Konrad Bayer:
"Griet, 200 meters, bridge... go 100 meters from right side. Rocket. Rapid fire."

Trusting to those more skilled to suppress or hopefully eliminate the enemy threat, Anneka had continued to search the riverbank for Stoner while listening to the yelled orders around her.
A few heartbeats after Konrads target indication for Griet, she noted the silence from the weapon just a few metres away, let the image intensifiers hang on their strap, and hefted the starboard PKM. A few moments later and the target was acquired, a burst of lead streaming towards it...

Moving back to the starboard PKM as everyone reboarded.
Surveying the riverbank for Stoner through image intensifiers
Firing a burst at the indicated target after Griet fails to fire.
HP-35 + 3mags
PKM + 1/2 available 7.62mmL


* anyone want them?

-Editted by GM to reflect current continuity. Milk has been manning and firing the starboard Dushka since the engagement began. Anneka can still order him aft but can't go back in time to do so before the battle began.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:18, Tue 29 July 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 451 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 28 Jul 2008
at 14:04
Re: Bow Weapons Position
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Shifting fire to centre bunker!"

Dawid shifted fire to the centre LMG bunker, aiming and firing a single round.

"Firing!"
Tucker takes a look around the deck and realizes that he's in a very bad spot and has been very luck he hasn't been shot yet.  He looks back to where Dawid is and thinks he's better off in there with him.  Robert scrambles over and into the mortar position and looks to Dawid, "What can I do to help?"

Tucker
Slung Weapon
Bow Weapons Position

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 776 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 28 Jul 2008
at 17:39
Re: Bow Weapons Position
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker takes a look around the deck and realizes that he's in a very bad spot and has been very luck he hasn't been shot yet.  He looks back to where Dawid is and thinks he's better off in there with him.  Robert scrambles over and into the mortar position and looks to Dawid, <DarkGreen>"What can I do to help?"


Concentrating as he fired, Dawid glanced over.

"Good to see you, my friend!"

"Grab that automatic grenade machniegun and suppress the RPG?"


82mm Vasilek (3/5 HEAT)
Firing 1 round at centre bunker
Note: if the Mk. 19 is not close, then Dawid is simply mistaken in the heat of battle and still thinks it's nearby.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:41, Mon 28 July 2008.

Clarence Milk
 NPC, 166 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Tue 29 Jul 2008
at 01:01
Starboard HMG

Clarence can't help but notice the backblast from the enemy rocketeer on the edge of the far eastern quarter of the bridge. He swings the "Dushka" around on its fixed mount and opens up, attempting to walk its tracers onto the spot and hose it down, silencing or suppressing the serious threat.


Clarence Milk
AK-74 (30/30)
Manning starboard HMG; firing at the rocket/missile team

Minh Quyen
 player, 265 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 29 Jul 2008
at 02:52
Re: Starboard HMG
Quyen leans over and pulls up a 82mm HE round. "Breach or muzzle?" she asks. When the answer is given, she'll load the Vasilek as she was taught. "Ready." she says, "Left bunker on the bridge... 500."

Quyen
Loading/Passing on info
Mortar Pos.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 722 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 29 Jul 2008
at 08:43
Bridge
Bayer yells through the makeshift protection on the bridge, "Griet! Whats wrong? Fire at 100 meters to the right of east edge of the bridge!" Out of view, he was unaware of her weapon's stoppage, or of she had become a casualty.

The left most bunker destroyed by the mortar, Bayer shifts his sights back to the other targets. It'll be bad when we run out of those mortar rounds, he thought. Besides the absence of fire from the PKM position, it didn't appear that any other weapon wasn't being utilized. That so, he decided to remain in position for the moment.

Bayer
Looking for targets
G36/HK69

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 777 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 29 Jul 2008
at 08:57
Re: Starboard HMG
Minh Quyen:
Quyen leans over and pulls up a 82mm HE round. "Breach or muzzle?" she asks. When the answer is given, she'll load the Vasilek as she was taught. "Ready." she says, "Left bunker on the bridge... 500."


"Standby with the fragmentation, load by muzzle when I give the order."

"Not yet"


At this time, he was firing the HEAT off from the Vasilek's magazine. If and when they got an indirect fire mission, he would reorient the weapon from direct to indirect fire, and then the HE would be used down the barrel like a regular mortar.


Dawid Piotrowski
82mm Vasilek (3/5 HEAT)
Firing 1 round HEAT at middle bunker.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:58, Tue 29 July 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 827 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 29 Jul 2008
at 16:28
Break on Through to the Other Side

Wisla Krolowa

With the destruction of the western bunker and the combined attentions of McCoy and Kasparov, enemy fire from the left half of the bridge has all but ceased.

The eastern bunker continues to fire, sending tracers into the sandbags shielding the starboard HMG position. Clarence hardly notices the enemy near-misses as he focusses on trying to eliminate the enemy RPG team 100m or so from the east end of the bridge.

A smaller explosion- probably a rifle grenade- clangs off the tug's hull beneath and behind the starboard companionway.

Dawid quickly but deliberately swivels the barrel of the Vasilek to bear on the small center-span bunker from which the enemy has yet to stop firing. Mariusz, meanwhile, sends another burst of 30mm grenades spinning towards the position but once again fails to register any hits. Now on target, the Vasilek tube recoils sharply and the enemy position is obliterated, torn sandbags and other, more grizzly debris splashing down into the river below.

This second devastating hit by the Vasilek seems to go a long way in breaking the enemy's fighting spirit. Enemy small arms fire is now more sporadic and not terribly accurate.

The barge noses under the edge of the bridge. The firing angles from the tug are now such that the Vasilek can no longer directly engage targets on the bridge or on the river banks. There is a pregnant pause in the firing, as neither side can fire at the other for a few short seconds.

As the forward half of the tug emerges on the north side of the bridge, a glass container of some sort shatters on the bridge roof and flames light up the underside of the tall steel structure. Fortunately, Clarence has already moved aft to the quarterdeck position. Sam, Anneka, and Griet, however, are splashed with a few flaming drops of some kind of accelerant. A few seconds of panicked flailing follow, but none of the three is burned badly. A second flaming bottle just misses the tug as she continues to race away from the bridge; a third errupts in a fireball on the tug's poop as she pulls clear, enveloping the MG-3 and its ready ammunition supply in flames.

The eastern bunker (now on the left when facing aft towards the bridge) continues to chatter away at the fleeing tug.

Stoner and Cerny

The enemy continues to fire wildly in the general direction of the Stoner and Cerny. Stoner, weaponless and still feeling the effects of accute hypothermia, can do nothing but hug the damp earth and hope for the best. Cerny, blinking away the ghost image from his NVGs, squints at the flashlight and fires a burst at it. There's a heavy splash and the beam swings sharply skyward before tumbling through the air like a malfunctioning disco light until it too lands in the water. The firing continues for a few long seconds, but the tracers are drifting away from the two men as the current carries the rowboat past them. After a few seconds more, the firing stops and the boat dissappears from view.

Much firing can now be heard from the bridge off to the south. Apparently, the Krolowa is starting to make her run.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:08, Tue 29 July 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 233 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 29 Jul 2008
at 17:34
Barge Bunker
With the tug now past the bridge and enemy fire mostly stopped, Jason has little opportunity or need to keep firing.  Instead, he keeps watch on the river ahead as is the other duty of those manning the barge position.  He drags the field telephone/intercom toward himself, ready to call in any warnings.

When the Molotov cocktails burst on the tug, he says to Mariusz, "Wow.  Glad those guys didn't toss any of those things at us!  I hope everyone back there is all right."

Jason K.
Barge Bunker
M-240
Watching ahead for obstructions
and/or other activity

Sam McCoy
 player, 70 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 29 Jul 2008
at 19:35
Port  HMG
After putting the fire out on himself, Sam will swing the heavy MG about and continue to fire on the enemy wherever they show themselves -9 to 12 round bursts...

Sam
Getting some
Heavy MG

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:05, Tue 29 July 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 267 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 30 Jul 2008
at 05:49
Re: Port  HMG
Quyen remains ready to load. The HE rounds on the deck next to her. Staying under cover as best she can she waits and scans for unnoticed targets. Seeing the bridge hit from the incendiary, she yells out, "Fire on the bridge."

"Dawid, should I fight the fire or stay here?" Quyen asks.

Quyen
Waiting/Observing
Mortar

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 293 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 30 Jul 2008
at 11:15
Barge Bunker
"Too right," Mariusz agreed, "I hate barbecue."

He moved the AGS to the right hand firing port to cover the bank of the river, there had been reports of more troops there so he'd be ready if they turned up.

Mariusz
AGS 12/29 (Two spare 29 round drums)
Moving weapon to right hand firing port

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 452 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 30 Jul 2008
at 13:08
Re: Break on Through to the Other Side
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #271):
Minh Quyen:
Quyen remains ready to load. The HE rounds on the deck next to her. Staying under cover as best she can she waits and scans for unnoticed targets. Seeing the bridge hit from the incendiary, she yells out, "Fire on the bridge."

"Dawid, should I fight the fire or stay here?" Quyen asks.
With Tucker in the mortar position with Dawid, he yells out to Minh, "TAKE CARE OF THE FIRE!  I'LL STAY HERE WITH DAWID!"

After telling Minh to go and help with the fire, he takes Dawid's suggestion of getting behind the Mark-19 and begins to fire on the remaining bunker that is firing at them by shooting a string of five rounds at it once they clear the bridge.

Tucker
Mark-19 [50/50]
Firing five rounds at remaining bunker

This message was last edited by the player at 04:10, Thu 31 July 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 779 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 30 Jul 2008
at 15:54
Bow Weapons Position
Getting off the seat, Dawid grasped the deployed trail of the Vasilek and heaved in a clockwise direction, trying to bring it around on its swivel to bear on the last remaining bunker.

82mm Vasilek (2/5 HEAT)
Turning the gun to face the last bunker

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 224 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 30 Jul 2008
at 16:27
Bridge PKMG
Griet swore, she'd just finished reloading the PKMG when a splash of burning fuel caught her arm. She patted at it with her gloved hand and saw that she could beat it out. At least the swine hadn't jellified it. She looked up at the deckhouse to see if the fire was taking hold. If it was, she intended to use one of the fire extinguishers to put it out,

If everything was OK, she would shoulder her rifle and keep an eye out for any more surprises from the bridge. As she readied herself ahe called to the bridge, "I'll deal with the fire on the deckhouse roof if it needs it, get a fire control team to the blaze on the poop now! Sanjay and anyone else you can spare."

Griet grimaced, fire was the biggest fear on any ship and she didn't want this one to turn into an inerno.

Griet
Putting fire out/opportunity fire
Fire extinguisher/Tantal 30/30

This message was last edited by the player at 16:30, Wed 30 July 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 164 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 30 Jul 2008
at 22:11
Ashore
Burried in the mud and leaves, both for concealment and some warmth, Dave begins to feel warmer. He relaxes somewhat and lets the strain of the night's activities catch up. His eyes close and soon Cerny laying next to him hears a light snoring.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 724 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 31 Jul 2008
at 01:18
Re: Ashore
Bayer remains on the bridge, pulling out his field glasses he scans both sides of the riverbank. He had no idea if Stoner was alive, was moving to the rendezvous or was already waiting. "We have a man out here." he says to Adam.

Hearing the call for spare crew to fight the fire, he uses the IC (or whatever is used) to get ahold of the engine room. "Mr. Sanjay. Fire on the ship. Report to topside quickly."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:19, Thu 31 July 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 268 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 31 Jul 2008
at 01:32
Re: Ashore
Quyen will move to the upper deck, picking up in each arm something to fight the fire with (extinguishers or sand buckets).

OOC - Not sure if I can do this action in this turn, or the next.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 688 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 31 Jul 2008
at 01:51
Upper deck, starboard PKM
As the tug moved through under the bridge and out the other side, Anneka realised that most of their heavy weapons would now be unable to fire back towards it.
"Dawid, Tucker!" she yelled down to the bow as she hurriedly patted the few stray flames that had managed to find their way onto her.
"Grab the '19 and run back to the stern!" Leaving the mortar unattended wasn't the greatest of ideas, but as the main threat now seemed to be behind them, she felt the barge bunker and it's small arsenal of weapons should be able to deal with anything from that angle for a while.
"Minh! Leave the bridge fire and head back to the stern. We're hit there too."
"Hauptman, Griet, take the roof."
Flames extinguished, she pointed up to the top of the bridge, painfully aware of how much of a battering that poor structure had taken in the past week and half expecting this last insult to bring it crashing down at any moment.
Trusting to Milk and McCoy to keep the bridge defenders occupied while everyone redeployed and fought the fires, Anneka hoisted the PKM in her arms and headed rearward herself intending to either move up next to Milk and add to the outgoing suppressive fire, or lend a hand with the flames depending on which need was greatest.

Issuing rapid orders
Beginning move aft with PKM to either rear DShK position, or firefighting duty depending on need
HP-35 + 3 mags
PKM + 95 belt

Jan Cerny
 player, 9 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 31 Jul 2008
at 04:07
Re: Upper deck, starboard PKM
After knocking out the searchlight and apparently knocking out whoever was holding it Jan blinks away the last of the lights and stars flashing in his eyes and then slips the NVG back into place. Holding his rifle at the ready he looks to get a beter view aof the river. He heard someone splash into the river and they may still be active and while the firing seems to have stopped there is still the rowboat and whoever might be in it to track down.
Hearing the watterlogged swimmer starting to snore next to him makes him shake his head in amazment.


Jan Cerny
on the waters edge
looking for bodies and boats
AK-74/BG-15 30/25 1/1HE

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 780 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 31 Jul 2008
at 05:49
Re: Upper deck, starboard PKM
Anneka Soleblume:
As the tug moved through under the bridge and out the other side, Anneka realised that most of their heavy weapons would now be unable to fire back towards it.
"Dawid, Tucker!" she yelled down to the bow as she hurriedly patted the few stray flames that had managed to find their way onto her.
"Grab the '19 and run back to the stern!" Leaving the mortar unattended wasn't the greatest of ideas, but as the main threat now seemed to be behind them, she felt the barge bunker and it's small arsenal of weapons should be able to deal with anything from that angle for a while.


Realising that simply moving the AGL was a better plan than trying to get the Vasilek trained to the rear, Dawid abandoned the mortar and slung his rifle. He grabbed tripod and ammo cans and staggered towards the stern of the boat.



Tantal + 40mm GL
Assisting moving the Mk. 19 AGL to the rear

This message was last edited by the player at 05:51, Thu 31 July 2008.