Ch. 10: Annopol to Solec.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 829 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 31 Jul 2008
at 06:25
No Shame in Running Away

The Krolowa presses downstream. The sodden sandbags atop the tug's bridge prove to be poor fuel for the makeshift enemy firebomb and the flames die down quickly, leaving behind little more damage than smoldering, smoking burlap and badly singed paint.

Tucker struggles to manouver the Mk-19 into a position from which it can engage the eastern bunker. Dawid, meanwhile, struggles to swing the heavy Vasilek around to bear aft, but is ultimately frustrated by the interposed superstructure of the tug. He rushes to help Tucker, and the pair are able to manhandle the AGL into a firing position alongside the very obstacle that is preventing the Vasilek from continuing its part in the fight.

Fortunately, Minh has not quite made it to the Krolowa's burning stern with her buckets of sand when the enemy RPG team pops up again, this time in a different spot, and looses a second rocket at the fleeing tug. The rocket chases her wake, catching the old dame right at the waterline. A loud crack accompanies the fireball and vaporized water cloud that explode out from just below the name painted on the venerable tug's stern. Minh can feel the heat of the blast, followed by a cooling rain of mist. She is otherwise unscathed. The spray from the waterline RPG hit douses part of the blaze on the poop, but some of the belted MG ammo there is cooking off, making it rather dangerous to fight the remainder of the fire. As long as it can be kept from spreading to the zodiac and the Ural tricycle, the fire is unlikely to do much in the way of serious damage. OOC: Consider the MG-3 and 100 rounds of belted 7.62mm N a write-off.

Clarence pours fire after the enemy rocket team from the aft Dushka, who disappear once again behind the parapet of the bridge like startled groundhogs. Anneka soon joins him in producing suppressive fire, still breathless from having carried the PKM aft to prop it atop the sandbagged wall surrounding the quarterdeck.

Tucker squats behind the Mk-19 and fires a burst of 40mm HE at the eastern bunker. The first three shots fall short, kicking up explosions of white smoke and dark mud. The last two shots explode directly against the bunker's sandbagged wall, partially collapsing it. The enemy PKM is no longer a threat.

Sam has few targets on the western half of the bridge. He adds a few bursts anyways, just to discourage any would-be cowboys.

The tug's own trail of engine smoke is now working in her favor, partially obscurring her from those remaining defenders strewn out along the Annopol bridge.

Enemy fire has diminished to a mere spattering of random shooting.

The speaking tube aboard the Krolowa's bridge coughs to life. Grzyech informs the Captain that the tug is taking on water in the after hold. He's sent Sanjay and Luboslaw to find and attempt to patch the leak.

The tug's security team has fought well, every man and woman doing their duty, and the obstacle of the Annopol bridge has been surmounted. It recedes into the distance behing the Krolowa, well out of effective small arms range.

As the tug approaches the rendezvous point, Old Adam slows her to about 5kmph and sounds two short, sharp blasts on the foghorn- the signal for Stoner to reveal himself*. Burdened with doubt, everyone fervently hopes that the SEAL is still able to do so. Scanning the eastern shore for their comrade, Mariusz and Kasparov notice a small, green rowboat dragged up on the riverbank a hundred meters or so downriver.

Actions?

OOC: *I completely made this signal bit up. As far as I remember, no such thing was mentioned or agreed upon by anyone in the party. I don't think there was a plan more detailed than "rendezvous north of the bridge". I've decided not to penalize ya'll for this, though, so I took the liberty of inventing a RP and a signal. Hope that's OK. If I missed something, I hope you give me the benefit of the doubt as well.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:51, Fri 01 Aug 2008.

Jan Cerny
 player, 10 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 31 Jul 2008
at 23:50
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Seeing no direct threat still about Cerny turns to the unconsious man and starts trying to wake him.
"Wake up! we must move, it is not safe here. "
Shaking him by the shoulder he continues to try and wake him while trying to keep a lookout for foot patrols or anyone from the rowboat returning.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 235 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 02:11
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Now that Mariusz has moved the AGS-17 to the side, Jason shifts the M-240 to the front position, allowing him to fire on either side of the barge's front.  He continues watching for obstructions, as well as watching for Stoner and any possible enemies.

Jason K.
Barge Bunker
M-240
Watching ahead
from side to side

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 166 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 04:16
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Jan Cerny:
Seeing no direct threat still about Cerny turns to the unconsious man and starts trying to wake him.
"Wake up! we must move, it is not safe here. "
Shaking him by the shoulder he continues to try and wake him while trying to keep a lookout for foot patrols or anyone from the rowboat returning.


Dave abruptly sits straight up and looks at Jan. "What! Who the hell are you?" he asks. "Jesus Christ, it's hot." Dave starts unbuttoning and taking off the shirt he had no memory of putting on.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 167 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 04:23
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Cap'n Rae:
As the tug approaches the rendezvous point, Old Adam slows her to about 5kmph and sounds two short, sharp blasts on the foghorn- the signal for Stoner to reveal himself*. Burdened with doubt, everyone fervently hopes that the SEAL is still able to do so. Scanning the eastern shore for their comrade, Mariusz and Kasparov notice a small, green rowboat dragged up on the riverbank a hundred meters or so downriver.


Hearing the signal, Dave exclaims "Hey! That's my ride!" and stands straight up. He raises a shaking hand to his mouth, and after two tries manages to put a pair of finger in his mouth and gives a peircing whistle.

OOC: The rendezvous was vaguely designated as Konrad pointing to a spot on the map and say "here's the rendezvous" if I remember right.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 783 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 04:54
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Clapping Tuck on the shoulder, Dawid laughed.

"Good shot, my friend!"

He looked out at the water, noting the signal.

"I think that is our friend, Stoner. I will buy him a drink, a fine dinner with real meat, a prostitute to fuck, whatever he wants!

"He really saved us, that was magnificent. Tank, then no tank. Unbelievable!"



OOC: Edited for clarity and continuity.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:47, Sat 02 Aug 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 72 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 11:25
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Sam will man his position until releaved..
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 294 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 11:32
Re: No Shame in Running Away
As Mariusz covered the bank, he heard a whistle and got on to the intercom, "Bridge, I think our commando is calling us."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 225 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 11:34
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Once the fire on the deckhouse proved to be no threat, Griet returned to her gun and linked the belt onto the end of the ammo before replacing it all in the PKMG's feeder box. She kept looking nervously at the fire on the poop deck hoping that the damage control party were OK with it.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 691 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 13:51
Aftermath
With the threat of Annapol now behind them, at least for the moment, Anneka turned her attention to the more mundane tasks such as damage control and retrieving Stoner.
"Milk, McCoy, keep watch on the flanks please," she requested of the two operatives who were already doing that anyway.
"Minh, soon as that fire's out, get a boat in the water and pick up Stoner. I'll be down there in a minute to go with you."
Heaving the PKM back up into her arms, she staggered under it's weight as she carried it back to it's normal position.
"Tucker," she called once she was back opposite Griet. "Can you please head back to the aft heavy machinegun? Minh and I will be heading ashore in a moment to pick up Stoner."
"Griet,
she continued as she turned her attention away from the lower deck. "I think you might be needed below. Better check to see if Minh needs help first though."
Although the after effects of the bridge encounter were still with them, it felt for the first time in days like there was actually enough people aboard to attend to all the necessary tasks all at once. Sure they were still shorthanded and many of their available weapons and positions remained unattended, but at least every quadrant was being watched by at least one set of eyes.
Try as she might, Anneka couldn't think of anything else that needed immediate attention as she rushed to collect an Uzi and spare mags from the makeshft armoury. Whatever she had forgotten, she was sure Konrad would handle anyway as soon as he'd finished whatever as keeping him occupied.
Jan Cerny
 player, 11 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 20:31
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Dave abruptly sits straight up and looks at Jan. "What! Who the hell are you?" he asks. "Jesus Christ, it's hot." Dave starts unbuttoning and taking off the shirt he had no memory of putting on.


Wincing a bit as the shrill whistle goes out in answer to the foghorn Jan answers the stranger.
"I an Jan, I found you in the river half-drowned and mostly frozen. Swimming in the Vistula this time of year is a great risk. The tug is your friend then?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 226 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 1 Aug 2008
at 21:12
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Griet nodded ated over the deck and trotted over the deck to Mihn, a fire extinguisher in her hand just in case, "Bayer wants me to take a look below," she said to the woman, "are you OK here?"
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 168 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 2 Aug 2008
at 00:01
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Jan Cerny:
Wincing a bit as the shrill whistle goes out in answer to the foghorn Jan answers the stranger.
"I an Jan, I found you in the river half-drowned and mostly frozen. Swimming in the Vistula this time of year is a great risk. The tug is your friend then?"


"Ind-d-d-deed she is, J-J-J-Jan, m-m-m-my friend. W-W-Wilsa K-K-Krolowa, I think it it it st-st-stands for RRRRRiver Queen. C-C-Cabin space is is is non non nonexistant, p-p-p-pay is wor-wor-worse and-d-d-d-damn near every one we've met has tr-tr-tried to to to k-k-k-kill us. B-B-B-But we we we have an ex-ex-ex-excellent c-c-c-c-cook aboard. By by by the authority invested in me me me me by by by my my myself, I I I I invite you you you for for for a rrrrrriverrrrr cruise." Dave says, violently shaking and stuttering. His skin is very pale and his lips and fingers have turned a lovely shade of blue. He continues indignately "I I I I have b-b-b-been d-d-d-drownp-p-p-proofed at gr gr great expense by by by the the the U U U S S S Navy, I I I I was nnnnnot half d-d-d-drowned, I I I was rrrrresting my my my eyes."


OOC: If you think that was hard to read, it was pure heck to type it!
Jan Cerny
 player, 12 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 2 Aug 2008
at 00:31
Re: No Shame in Running Away
Listening carefully through the stuttering Jan makes out that the tug is indeed friendly, at least to the "not half-drowned" American. Helping support him he moves him closer to the river bank and sets him down. Once again taking a quick look to see if there are any foot patrols, he then pulls out his flashlight and flashes a couple of quick flashes at the tug hopping it doesnt get him shot.
"Let us hope they come quickly mon ami, you are cold and we are exposed out here. After the noise at the bridge I would not wish to stay here long. Oui?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 454 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 2 Aug 2008
at 02:57
Re: Aftermath
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Clapping Tuck on the shoulder, Dawid laughed.

"Good shot, my friend!"

He looked out at the water, noting the signal.

"I think that is our friend, Stoner. I will buy him a drink, a fine dinner with real meat, a prostitute to fuck, whatever he wants!

"He really saved us, that was magnificent. Tank, then no tank. Unbelievable!"

"No rest for the wicked! I will go man the mortar. You never know."


With that he left the rear deck, figuring they needed some kind of heavy weapon covering that quarter, and returned to the Mortar.

"Minh, please help me load the magazine with the rest of the fragmentation. We have done well so far, but it may not be over."
Tucker lets a visible smile show as he sees the bunker get taken out by the last of his string of shots form the MK-19.  He taps Dawid happily on his leg as he lets the grips go on the grenade launcher, "Thanks Dawid!  Havden't done that in quite some time.  Felt pretty good too!"

Hearing the signal being sounded, and hearing Anneka call orders for him to report to one of the machine-guns he again says to Dawid, "I don't know how he did it but, I'm buying that fucking squid a drink too!  You good here while I take care of the other M.G.?"


Anneka Soleblume:
"Tucker," she called once she was back opposite Griet. <blue>"Can you please head back to the aft heavy machinegun? Minh and I will be heading ashore in a moment to pick up Stoner."
Tucker looks up from the MK-19 and yells out to Anneka, 'Roger that Major, I'm on it!"  Tucker heads off to the aft machine-gun and takes up a postion there.

Tucker
Aft DShK
Taking up position
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 785 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 2 Aug 2008
at 05:13
Re: Aftermath
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker lets a visible smile show as he sees the bunker get taken out by the last of his string of shots form the MK-19.  He taps Dawid happily on his leg as he lets the grips go on the grenade launcher, "Thanks Dawid!  Havden't done that in quite some time.  Felt pretty good too!"

Hearing the signal being sounded, and hearing Anneka call orders for him to report to one of the machine-guns he again says to Dawid, "I don't know how he did it but, I'm buying that fucking squid a drink too!  You good here while I take care of the other M.G.?"


"No rest for the wicked! I will go man the mortar. You never know."

With that he left the rear deck, figuring they needed some kind of heavy weapon covering that quarter, and returned to the Mortar.

"Minh, please help me load the magazine with the rest of the fragmentation. We have done well so far, but it may not be over."


When the task of reloading the Vasilek with HEwas completed, he returned as asked to the where the Mk. 19 was stationed and manned it.


Tantal/BG-15
Reloading Vasilek with HE, then manning Mk. 19.



OOC: Edited for clarity and continuity.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:46, Sat 02 Aug 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 726 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 2 Aug 2008
at 07:51
Re: Aftermath
Bayer continues to keep watch on both sides of the riverbank. Despite the combat and fire, he was sure the others could handle it without one more body. His concern was about leaving a man behind. One who allowed them to overcome what they had gotten through.

"Adam." he says looking through his binos. "Hold position here. Men on the shore. I think one is ours."

Making his way out of the bridge he'll wait on the deck for the return of the inflatable.

Edit - I missed Anneka's earlier post. Changed mine to stop any confusion or counter-orders.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:07, Sat 02 Aug 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 832 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 2 Aug 2008
at 18:33
Damage Control

After Clarence is relieved by Tucker on the aft HMG he heads down to help Minh and Griet extinguish the blaze on the tug's poop. Minh uses her two sand buckets to contain the fire, spreading the sand along the fire's creeping edge. Griet uses the old water-shooting fire extinguisher to spray down the MG-3's popping ammunition from a distance and Clarence and Minh join in as a bucket brigade, scooping up water from over the side and tossing it onto the poop in relays. In about 5 minutes, the fire is out. The MG-3 and 100 rounds of 7.62mm N ammunition have literally gone up in smoke.

This entire time, the tug's engines have been backing, trying to hold her even with the rendezvous on shore against the strong current trying to pull her along. Via the speaking tube from the engine room, Grzyech informs Old Adam that the damage control team of Lubolsaw and Sanjay have found a two-inch diameter hole right around the water line. The turbulent wake of the tug's twin props creates all kinds of pressure disturbances in the vicinity of the hole, making the plugging of it rather difficult. He advises Adam that the tug must be stopped in order to make proper repairs.

With the fires extinguished and the tug well out of range of the Annopol Bridge defenses, Minh, Milk, and Anneka quickly get the zodiac into the water while Griet heads below to see if she can assist the damage control party. Clarence heads forward to the starboard Dushka to provide cover for the extraction. The small rowboat parked a couple of hundred meters away has him a bit worried. Minh and Anneka head to shore and are somewhat alarmed to see that Stoner is accompanied by another man. A few tense seconds pass until the ladies are reassured that the man is friendly and that this isn't a trap. Nevertheless, they approach with extreme caution. As Stoner cracks a stereotypically wise greeting, it becomes apparent that all is well. Through chattering teeth, Stoner vouches for the new man, slurringly describing how Cerny more or less saved his life, first from hypothermia and then from an Annopol riverine search party.

The four return to the waiting tug which immediately begins making way as soon as the zodiac is stowed back aboard. Clarence shoots up the rowboat as they pass, depriving the enemy of a means of pursuit regardless of how modest.

On the bridge, Adam explains that the tug must stop for repairs. Pointing to his map, he indicates the small town of Jozefow, about 20km downriver on the east bank. About 5km further on is the town of Piotrowin- also on the east bank- and 5km beyond that lies the town of Solec, situated on the west bank. No major paved roads link any of the three towns to Lublin or Annopol. Adam recalls that all three towns were sparsely populated, many of their former inhabitants having moved- or been moved- to Lublin to work on the government farm collectives there. Like most Polish villagers, they'd been wary of strangers, but all had been willing to trade, especially for ammunition.

Just under five kilometers behind the Krolowa lies the town of Annopol. The defenders have almost certainly called for reinforcements from Lublin or one of the other garrisons along the MSR from the Polish capital. The place is or very soon will be a hornet's nest of angry government troops. Adam, for one, wants to get as far from Annopol as possible.

Actions?
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 169 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 3 Aug 2008
at 02:41
Rescue!
As the rubber boat approaches the shore, Dave calls out "S-S-Sweetheart! You you came for me me me! And M-M-M-Minh! Ha-ha-have I I I  ever t-t-told you you c-c-c-combat brings out a m-m-most alluring flush to to to your f-f-face? M-m-meet my my my new friend, Jan." He holds his hand up to his mouth as if he's importing a secret, but continoues in the same tone of voice- "D-d-don't l-l-l-let the name f-f-f-fool ya, he's a g-g-guy, not not not a girrrllll."

Back at the tug, he climbs aboard pops to attention so hard he's literaly shaking. His hand flies up in a salute but he manages to poke himself in the eye before getting it right. "Permission to come aboard?" he asks Konrad.

Not waiting for a reply, he stumbles toward the engine room, stripping off what clothes he has left on. He grabs whatever blanket or tarp is handy on his way below decks and without another word lies on the floor as close to the firebox as he can get without singhing his eyebrows.
Minh Quyen
 player, 269 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 3 Aug 2008
at 05:51
Re: Rescue!
As they tug continues on its way, Quyen relives the battle with small talk amongst the members of the team. Everything worked out, the ambush, the tank sabotage, and getting the tug through with nobody hurt. Morale was noticeably high with her as she chatted. Pulling out her smokes, she pops one in and lights it, giving her dwindling supplies (nine left now) a frown. While impressed with Stoner, and glad he's still alive, she leaves him be to rest and recuperate.

Afterwards she drops her fighting gear back at the mortar and walks over to the collection of small arms and magazines the ambush party scored earlier. After taking stock, she'll begin to ferry down below to the armoury, their 'loot'.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:52, Sun 03 Aug 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 694 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 3 Aug 2008
at 06:20
Re: Rescue!
Immediately recognising the danger hypothermia posed for the nearly naked Stoner, Anneka almost ignored Jan and concentrated on getting the navy medic warm as quickly as was possible.
Removing her own coat, she hugged Stoner tightly on the ride back to the tug, body heat the only thing she had available for the moment to assist his core temperature to rise.
"Now don't you go getting any ideas soldier!" she said, warding off one wandering hand from the confused and dangerously cold man. Another time, another place, another world and her words may have been different, but here and now.....

Arriving back at the tug, Anneka allowed others to deal with the boat and assisted her charge to reach the engineroom.
"Hot coffee, coco," she demanded from the first person she saw who wasn't immediately occupied with their duties.
"Anything as long as it's hot!"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:57, Sun 03 Aug 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 228 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 3 Aug 2008
at 09:43
Down Below
After helping Mihn finish off the fire on the poop deck, Griet clambered below to help assess the damage to the water line. When she reached the damage control party she said, "What can I do to help?"
Jason Kasparov
 player, 236 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 3 Aug 2008
at 13:54
Re: Down Below
As the Krolowa continues down the river, Jason keeps watching ahead, through his night vision goggles.  He hopes that the tug will soon get far enough away from Annopol to stop in relative safety.  If that is not to be, he cannot wait for sunrise;  looking for river obstructions in the dark is hard work.  [OOC:  when is sunrise, and what time is it now?]

He has another reason to be eager for the tug to stop.  He is looking forward to revealing what he discovered before the battle to pass the Annopol bridge.  Some people are going to be pleasantly surprised...
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 295 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 3 Aug 2008
at 14:25
Re: Down Below
Mariusz saw Jason using his NVGs to spot for obstacles in the water so he took the opportunity to do some basic weapons maintainemce and then cover the right back, the direction of Lodz, just in case the cavalry arrived of the communist lovers.
Sam McCoy
 player, 75 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 3 Aug 2008
at 14:45
Re: Down Below
sam will maintain his position until releaved.