Ch. 10: Annopol to Solec.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 833 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 3 Aug 2008
at 20:37
GM Supplemental


Tuesday, 10/10/00
0645hrs.
Partly cloudy
35 F


The risen sun casts its pale light over the barren landscape. White-gold pools shimmer in reedy fields to either side, evidence of recent flooding. Patches of grayish white snow lie sheltering in the shadow of the few large trees that dot the otherwise flat and featureless landsape. The banks on either side are lower now than at any point upriver, no doubt contributing, along with the last few days of steady rain and snow, to the sodden surroundings.

No so many years ago, these fields were part of Poland's bread-basket. Now, depopulated by war, disease, lawlessness, and government levies, the riverside farms that once produced Eastern Europe's most impressive yields lie empty, abandoned, the fields fallow and partially submerged.

Approximately 20km ahead, a cluster of small farming communities reside within a 15km stretch of river.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:43, Sun 03 Aug 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 728 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 01:22
Re: GM Supplemental
In the bridge, Bayer listens as Adam explains the tug's situation. He then asks, "What is required? The boat be anchored and time spent? Or will you need special equipment and any materials. Do you have an estimate on how long you will need?"

When he has an opportunity, Bayer will head to the galley for some breakfast. Along the way he stands down all but the routine sentry. He invites Jan to join him.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 789 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 03:02
Bow Weapons' Position
Having no pressing assignment, Dawid left the Mk.19 where it was and went forward to the Vasilek.

It had served them well in the many engagements where it had taken part.

Perhaps it would be needed again, and soon?
Jan Cerny
 player, 13 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 05:44
Re: Bow Weapons' Position
Taking Konrad up on his offer of breakfast Jan follows him to the galley. Along the way he makes note of the condition of the tug and the people on it. He is carefull not to take any actions that would make the crew nervous, meeting new people is difficult enough these days without the danger of gunfire.
"This is quite the boat you have here, yes? She is most impressive. And much preferable to walking. The area near the bridge, it will be like an ant bed kicked over I think. I thank you for allowing me to leave more quickly than on foot,. It is a nice change to ride instead of walk for a change. And to add the offer of breakfast to the ride? Most generous, Oui?"
Jason Kasparov
 player, 237 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 06:48
What's in the box?
After standing down, but before leaving the bunker on the barge, Jason sets his AK-74 down within easy reach and begins to field-strip and clean the M-240.  He had only fired a few bursts the night before, but a little PM never hurt.

With the cleaning finished, he began heading back along the barge, stopping at his bedroll and picking up a large metal box.  Climbing across to the bow of the tug, he moves toward the deckhouse, speaking to Dawid as he passes.  "Come along, Dawid.  You're going to want to see this.  Where's Minh?  She'll want to see it, too."  As he approaches the galley door, Minh emerges from below, where she has finished stowing the captured weapons.  "Ah, there you are.  Come inside. I have a little something to show you."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 296 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 10:37
Old man river
With the coming of the dawn, Mariusz switched with Jason on snag watching duty. He sat in the most uncomfortable position he could find to make sure he kept concentrating on the task, not falling into a comfortable day dream.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 229 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 10:52
Re: Old man river
Griet had surveyed the damage to the hull. It wouldn't present a major problem, the hole wasn't huge and needed a patch with the metal the had spare from up armouring the tug. The problem was that whislt they could just slap a patch on here and weld it to the hull, that would be done in damp conditions and wouldn't be ideal.

If she had the opportunity she would like to do a three part patch, something to fill the hole to keep the structural integrity together, and then a welded on patch about a foot on each side on either side of the hole. That would make assurance doubly sure. In order to do that however, the hole needed to be above water. That would mean shifting the balance of the tug to expose the hit which was only just below the waterline, but raising it the eighteen inches they'd need would still represent a lot of work and the tug would be a rubbish weapons platform whilst they did it.

She finished her assesmnet and discussed it with the engineers before going above deck to make her report.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 729 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 11:20
Re: Old man river
As Bayer eats, he passes to Jan the same message he had gotten quite used to saying to all the new passengers. He introduces himself, and mentions the names and positions of their Krowlowa's security team. He also goes on to explain the civilian crew and its owner.

"Now. What of you? I would like to know how you became on your own in Annapol." he asks. "Where did you come from? What were you doing in Annapol? Where are you going?"

Afterwards, if he is satisfied with Jan's answers, Bayer says, "We are headed as far as Warsaw. You may seek passage with us in return for your employment - and complete cooperation - as part of our security detail. Captain Rataj... it is his boat and he is our employer, but I believe he will allow it. You get fed and a safe place to sleep... and you don't have to walk much. But, I don't need to get into details on the dangers."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:22, Mon 04 Aug 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 791 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 13:49
Re: What's in the box?
Jason Kasparov:
With the cleaning finished, he began heading back along the barge, stopping at his bedroll and picking up a large metal box.  Climbing across to the bow of the tug, he moves toward the deckhouse, speaking to Dawid as he passes.  "Come along, Dawid.  You're going to want to see this.  Where's Minh?  She'll want to see it, too."  As he approaches the galley door, Minh emerges from below, where she has finished stowing the captured weapons.  "Ah, there you are.  Come inside. I have a little something to show you."


Even though it had only been fired a few times, Dawid also completed his own maintenance on the Vasilek. So far the weapon had proved to be invaluable, it was the smart thing to do.

He decided to leave the Mk.19 for someone that was more familliar with its workings.

When Jason came along and invited him to see something interesting, his curiousity got the better of him. Taking a break and lighting his cigarette after wiping his hands, he slung his rifle and followed along.

"Sounds interesting, my friend! I've got a moment to spare, but only a moment, mind."


Wz.88 Tantal w/BG-15 GL
Following Jason

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 455 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 14:03
Re: Damage Control
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #302):

Tucker remains alert as he can on the Aft DShK while the damage control and repair work goes on around him.  He pulls out one of his cigars and lights it in the chilly morning.

Tucker
Aft DShK
Smoking cigar manning MG
Jan Cerny
 player, 14 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 4 Aug 2008
at 21:49
Re: Damage Control
As he settles down to eat in the galley the smell of food that didn't come out of a plastic bag or need to be rehydrated nearly overcoms him for a moment. Setteling down and savoring the first few bites he waits for the "debriefing" he is expecting to start.
"My name is Jan Cerny. Late of the Légion étrangère. I am originally from relativly near here, a town called  Ostrava though I was last there as only a small boy. My parents fled Czechoslovakia to avoid the government. We were more fortunate than many. "
Taking a few more bites he continues.
"I was sent as part of a small group from the Legion. We were to meet with someone in southern Poland. I am not sure who, the Captain had that information. Still I am alive and for the moment at least not carrying a heavy pack. I thank you for your kind offer of employment. If it is acceptable to your captain I would gladly  stay aboard for a time. The food is good, and a safe place to sleap is sometimes priceless.
I am sure you will need to discuss it with him and the others, I will wait on deck until you have had the chance to check with him. I need to catch a smoke anyway."

Heading back up on deck Jan leans on the railing for a moment and then pulls out a pack of Gauloises. After a couple of attempts he lights one and watches the surrounding countryside while silently smoking.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:52, Mon 04 Aug 2008.

'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 53 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Tue 5 Aug 2008
at 01:40
Re: Damage Control

After listening intently to Griet's damage report, Adam addresses Konrad.

"Well, it depends, Hauptman Bayer. My daught... er, Chief Niewiadomska, has reported that a simple patching of the hole will suffice, allowing us to continue almost indefinitely. Such a job will take only a couple of hours. However, if the Krolowa were to be damaged further in the vicinity of the patched area, the damage could be multiplied many times, putting her in much greater danger. Our other option would involve shifting ballast forward to bring the stern well above water in order to conduct more thorough and sturdy repairs. This will take several hours but will ensure that the tug is completely sound  structurally."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:59, Tue 05 Aug 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 834 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 5 Aug 2008
at 01:58
Destination Unkown

0700hrs.

The security team settles into its shipboard routine. With the professional attention of Major Soleblume, Stoner's condition has measurably improved. He is no longer disoriented or slurring his speech. Full feeling has returned to all of his extremities. His shivering has stopped and he actually feels warm. He is, however, physically exhausted, and there's nothing to do for that except get some deep, sustained sleep.

Jason, meanwhile, prepares to share a recent discovery with two of his companions. The others man their positions, keeping watchful eyes trained on both banks and beyond.

Twenty kilometers ahead lies the first of three riverside towns, Jozefow. The tug is travelling at a relatively safe but sluggish speed of 5kph. At this rate, the tug will arrive at Jozefow at around lunchtime. If the team elects to avoid the three towns completely, it will be mid afternoon before the tug is safely beyond the last settlement. This, of course, assumes no unexpected delays. Will the tug stop for repairs? If so, where, and for how long? What kind of repairs (fast and dirty, or slow and comprehensive) will the team elect to conduct?

Actions?

OOC: Adam has shared what he knows of the three towns downriver. Keep in mind that currently, Annapol is still only a few kilometers behind them.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 730 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 5 Aug 2008
at 02:39
Re: Destination Unkown
Bayer nods to Jan, silently pleased with his cooperation, but interested none the less in the nature of his being in Poland. As the Czech leaves he mulls over the options Adam gave him on the bridge.

Walking outside he collects Robert and Griet. "Come with me." he says and leads them down to the engine room.

OOC - Not excluding anyone.

There he explains to Tucker and Soleblume the tug's situation, and looks to Griet for acknowledgment of his statement. "I think we should setup repairs that would fix the problem completely. After we pass the first town, perhaps the second or third. What do you suggest?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 270 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 5 Aug 2008
at 03:14
Re: What's in the box?
Jason Kasparov:
"Ah, there you are.  Come inside. I have a little something to show you."


"What's up?" she asks. Her work done, she'll follow Jason and Dawid to check out the mystery find.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 695 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 5 Aug 2008
at 05:16
Re: What's in the box?
A hot bath in a warm room along with soup and coffee could do wonders for a persons well being. If the grease and noise was blocked out you could almost imagine the pampering Stoner received was suited to a health spa somwhere in the south of France!
But he deserved it. Out of all of them, he'd surely done more to ensure their relatively "safe" passing of the Annapol bridge, singlehandedly taking out a tank with just improvised weapons and absolutely no support. He was a hero!
Once stable, Anneka assisted the spent medic to a bed and saw to it that he'd receive the rest his body needed.

"I'm not sure we have the time to do the job properly," she commented, concerned about Konrads report.
"Not with the hornets nest we're stirred up back there."
As implied, stopping anywhere nearby would be a recipe for disaster, allowing the nearby Soviet and Polish troops to catch up with them and exact vengance.
"Is it plugged for now?" she asked, directing her query to Griet.
"You know, with wooden wedges like you see in the movies?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 230 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 5 Aug 2008
at 09:27
Re: What's in the box?
"It has a temporary plug in it, if we go above crawling speed that'll not be enough and we'll start taking on water again." Griet replied, "I think we need to make as comprehensive repair as we can as soon as possible. As we move past the first town we should look for a suitable spot to haul up and complete the repair. I know it's risky, but frankly if the authorities at Lodz order a pursuit, we'll be caught if we can only go at this rate. Vehicles will catch us easily, and Cavalry, even good infantry can move faster than us at present. Either way is a risk, but that repair will need to be made at some point and until then we can make five miles an hour at best or risk rupturing the patch and flooding the engine room. Once that happens with a steam engine, we explode."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 456 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 5 Aug 2008
at 13:41
Re: What's in the box?
Tucker follows Bayer outside with the others and listens to him explain options and look for suggestions from the others gathered.  He listens to Anneka and Griet's thoughts, "I think that we should take a little more travel time and put some distance between us and Annopol Konrad.  However, if we get into the shit again, the temporary plug might not be enough to hold up to another shoot out or higher speeds to get us away.  I'm thinking we go a little more and hold up to make what repairs we need and maybe see if we can do some trading or have a look around while that's being done."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 238 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 5 Aug 2008
at 18:08
Re: What's in the box?
Leading the way into the galley, Jason pauses to allow Bayer to leave, then continues inside.  Hefting the box (which is clearly a 40mm ammo can) up onto the table, he speaks.  "Minh, remember when I wished you luck before you went ashore with the ambush party?  As I was leaving the fantail, I slipped and fell, knocking over the pile of ammunition for the Mk-19.  As I was picking up the cans, I noticed this one -- buried at the bottom -- was lighter than the rest."  He begins opening the can.  "Don't you think these are strange looking grenades?"  He opens the can to reveal several packs of cigarettes!  On top, along with a few boxes of matches, are three packs with the labels printed in German, and five packs of what Dawid recognizes as a Polish brand.  From the bottom, Jason produces the real prize, an entire red-and-white carton of genuine American Marlboros.

He continues, "These must have belonged to Hicks.  I expect they would fetch a pretty good price for trade.  Since you two smoke and I don't, I figure I can spare a couple packs each for my friends.  Take your pick."  He waves his hand, palm up, at the cigarettes in a 'help yourself' gesture.

OOC:  any other smoker characters can probably coax a pack or two out of him.  Just leave some for trade, eh?
Minh Quyen
 player, 271 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 6 Aug 2008
at 05:52
Re: What's in the box?
Quyen, muffles a light laugh at Kasparov's explanation of 'slipping and falling'. A comical image passes over her mind. The thought vanishes though and her eyes widen when the can is opened. "Wowww." she says.

"Marls..." she answers to his offering. "As many as you think its fair to take."

As the three surround and peer into the can holding the hidden stash, Quyen shakes her head and gives a little laugh, "Hicks..." she whispers.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 239 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 6 Aug 2008
at 08:20
Re: What's in the box?
With a trace of sadness, Jason softly says,"Yeah... Hicks."  He takes the carton and slips his finger beneath the flap on one of the long, narrow faces, exposing the ends of the ten boxes inside.  Grasping the pair in the center, he pulls them out.  With his index finger, he loosens a third pack and plucks it out as well.  Handing the three packs to Minh, he says, "Here.  If I still have some left when you run out, let me know."

OOC:  according to Hicks' post they may be a little stale.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 297 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 6 Aug 2008
at 12:48
Re: What's in the box?
Mariusz shifted position slightly and went back to searching for river obstacles.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 732 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 6 Aug 2008
at 13:54
Re: What's in the box?
"What about the last of the three communities. Thats some distance between us and Annapol." Bayer asks.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 457 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 6 Aug 2008
at 14:53
Re: What's in the box?
Konrad Bayer:
"What about the last of the three communities. Thats some distance between us and Annapol." Bayer asks.
Tucker nods, "I think that would give us enough breathing room for a bit."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 792 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 6 Aug 2008
at 15:54
Re: What's in the box?
Jason Kasparov:
With a trace of sadness, Jason softly says,"Yeah... Hicks."  He takes the carton and slips his finger beneath the flap on one of the long, narrow faces, exposing the ends of the ten boxes inside.  Grasping the pair in the center, he pulls them out.  With his index finger, he loosens a third pack and plucks it out as well.  Handing the three packs to Minh, he says, "Here.  If I still have some left when you run out, let me know."


Dawid's eyes lit up.

"American cigarettes! Wow!"

"As well, I would deeply appreciate some to. Couldn't buy a farm with these smokes, but you could probably get a horse."


Putting his hand on Jason's shoulders, he looked into the other man's eyes, face full of gratitude.

"Thank you, my friend. I owe you deeply for the kindness you have shown. A pretty face like Minh's, well, I can see why you might show some generosity, but for me, I am thankful for your friendship."

Dawid sighed. "Well, I should get back to my post. I am thinking we could have company very soon."