Ch. 12: Zwolen.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Jason Kasparov
 player, 314 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 29 Oct 2008
at 21:26
Re: Waking Up the Neighbors
"Yessir," Jason replies to Konrad, then goes to the greatcoat-clad man.  "Ensure he's not a threat, eh?" he muses, then says, "Sorry, Mister.  I don't have time to worry about you pulling a fast one."  Raising the F88, he brings the butt down on the man's head, then drags the unconcious body back to the garage.  "Here's another one for you, I have to go back outside," he says to Mariusz.

Going outside to the truck, he hops up onto the flat bed and examines the ZU-23-2, looking around for ammunition.  He does not know a lot about the weapon, except to avoid flying over one, if possible.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 186 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Thu 30 Oct 2008
at 01:29
Mortar Pit
Minh Quyen:
"I can handle the PWs if you want to cover me and the approaches."


"Alright. Be careful. I have a feeling we'll be having more company soon."

Milk keeps an eye on Minh. When Dawid arrives on scene, Milk shifts his attention on the road to the northeast. He can hear a large engine idling somewhere over in that direction but can't see the source due to the buildings flanking the road there at the edge of town.

Clarence Milk
AK-74 (22/30); BG-15 (1/7 HE)
Covering Minh & Dawid and the road to the NE

This message was last edited by the player at 01:33, Thu 30 Oct 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 827 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 30 Oct 2008
at 15:48
Motor Pool
Bayer decides to stay out of the way of his NCOs and Mariusz dealing with the PWs and trucks. His mind was on coordinating the security teams anyways. Stepping out into the main doorway he kneels down and waits for trouble to come.

Going through his mind - Ondar covered the east, along with the mortar pit... McCoy centered on the north... and Griet and Jason had the north and west. He hoped his intention to allow each team's neighbor to share arcs has worked out. That each person could deliver fire onto their neighbors arcs if needed. Guess we will see, he thinks.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:50, Thu 30 Oct 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 984 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 30 Oct 2008
at 20:24
The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)

Garage

Pockets bulging with papers from the desk, Tucker examines the radio in the small office. It's a huge, ancient-looking set. It wouldn't surprise Tuck all that much if the motor pool crew's grandaddies had used the very same radio back in '39. The big green set has various cords and wires sticking out of every side. It probably weighs at least 50lbs, if not more.

Jan lines the prisoners against one wall. They offer no resistance. Several of them, clad only in their dingy underclothes and deprived of their blankets and bedrolls, begin to shiver.

In response to Jan's question regarding fuel for the trucks, the prisoner with the keys points out the large bay window to a one-ton (1000 litre) tank trailer sitting next to the M151 Jeep.

"The trucks are all filled up. There's methanol in there. The big still's out back and there's another one in town."

Motor Pool Yard

Jason successfully clubs the wounded runner into unconsciousness and drags the battered and bloody man towards the garage. He picks up the pace as he notices the truck stopping at the edge of town. The only folks out driving at this hour are probably heavily armed and none too happy about being woken. Depositing the man just inside the open garage door, he slides through a gap in the southern fence and hops up into the bed of the KAMAZ gun truck. He finds the twin-barrelled ZU canon loaded and ready to fire.

Through his rifle scope, Alexei can see men debussing from the Polish military 4x4 at the edge of town (200m or so distant). By his quick count, there are probably about a dozen of them. They split up into two groups and enter both of the flanking buildings. Soon heads and rifle barrels begin to appear at the upper story windows of both buildings. The truck, it's lights still off, starts to back up, retreating slowly back into the deeper shadows of the town.

Mortar Pit

Minh secures the prisoners and begins to search them when Dawid arrives. Pulling a couple of them to their feet, he herds the disarmed men a few meters away from Minh and conducts his own, more casual search. Neither Minh nor Dawid find anything of interest on any of the prisoners. It appears that the men barely had time to get properly dressed before rushing to their post. From the mortar pit, Clarence calls in a fierce whisper,

"We got bad guys in those buildings to the northeast. You'd better get back here!"

Out in the open, moonlit field, Minh and Dawid make excellent targets. Of course, the garrison soldiers stand a good chance of hitting their own if they open fire now.

Supply Convoy

The checkpoint that the recon and support groups snuck by earlier in the night is in clear view up ahead about 200m to the west at the intersection. It occurs to Stoner and Anneka that they are probably also in full view of the sentries posted there. On the road, with the canal (and two-story houses) on one side and an open field on the other, the supply convoy is in an extraordinarily precarious position.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:26, Thu 30 Oct 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 315 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 30 Oct 2008
at 21:37
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
"Griet, do you know much about guns like this?" Jason asks.  "I'm more accustomed to avoiding flying over than firing them.  Perhaps we'd better switch places.  I'll be right back."  He hops down from the truck, slips back through the fence, and heads back to the garage, stopping next to Konrad along the way.  "Boss, you wanted Griet and me to cover the north and west with the Zoo-23?  I'll need to move the truck; the garage blocks the line of sight to the north."  Upon the reply, he continues to the garage and says to his young Polish friend, "Mariusz, I need the keys to the GAZ."

Returning to the gun truck with the keys, he jump into the driver's seat, says "Hold on" to Griet, and turns the key to fire up the motor.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:54, Thu 30 Oct 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 296 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 30 Oct 2008
at 22:11
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
Griet tested the Zoo-Two's traverse and aiming handles. She was happy that everything was working corectly. She checked that the PK machinegun was secured by her side and she flipped the heavy gun's safeties and grasped the triggers.

She just hoped she fared better than the last Pole in this unit to man such a gun. She heard Jason's call and said, "Ready to go!"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 378 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 30 Oct 2008
at 22:13
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
After Jason had taken the keys to the GAZ, Mariusz popped outside and slipped the keys into the MUTT's ignition. He moved quickly over to the UAZ and the Wrecker and readied them as well.

He popped his head into the garage once more and said, "The vehicles are prepped, is there anything in here you want me to move?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 76 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 30 Oct 2008
at 22:26
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
Nodding and pointing out the window at the trailer, "Hook that tank trialer to one of the vehicles. I would think we will want the fuel."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 513 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 02:23
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
Cap'n Rae:
Garage

Pockets bulging with papers from the desk, Tucker examines the radio in the small office. It's a huge, ancient-looking set. It wouldn't surprise Tuck all that much if the motor pool crew's grandaddies had used the very same radio back in '39. The big green set has various cords and wires sticking out of every side. It probably weighs at least 50lbs, if not more.

Actions?
Tucker takes one last look at the radio and thinks it's maybe not so good an idea to take it due to it's weight.  He shuffles out of the back room with whatever else he can carry.  He calls out to Konrad when he sees him, "Got a radio in the backroom boss!  Maybe Mariusz could check it out to see if he can pick up any traffic on it.  Found some papers and stuff back there and stuffed what I could on me."

Tucker begins to go through the main room and bedding looking for weapons and or valuables that might be around.

Tucker
Slung weapons
Looking around main sleeping area for weapons and valuables
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 933 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 03:33
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
"Milk, there is no time to explain, we need to avoid a fight. I'm letting these men go because we can't guard them properly, and in a way they surrendered under my authority."

After making sure the men weren't too ill treated, Dawid looked over to where the men were disembarking from the truck.

"We do not have a lot of time to talk, but I'm sure none of you want to die. If your comrades counter-attack, then we will be forced to fire on them, and the town, with everything we have."

"We hold the motor pool and we hold this mortar, and I know what to do with it."


He indicated his artillery shoulder-tabs.

"Innocent people will die, your comrades will die, all will die for nothing, you know this. So, I need you to tell your comrades to back off with no firing at us at all, let us do what we need to and then leave. No one need get hurt. No one will say you are cowards."

"Be quick and very convincing, you understand? Now go!"


Dawid pushed them towards the direction of the truck.

"Run! The lives of many people depend on you! Find some place safe to hide afterwards"

That done, he looked for the field phone that would connect this position to the platoon HQ in town.


Stechkin (21/21 + 2 magazines)
2 frags, 2 smoke, 1 RPG-76
Freeing the prisoners, getting on the field phone to convince the HQ to withdraw their men.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:27, Fri 31 Oct 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 315 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 08:54
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
Cap'n Rae:
Clarence calls in a fierce whisper, "We got bad guys in those buildings to the northeast. You'd better get back here!"


Quyen returns to the RPK and places it into her shoulder. She leans against the parapet to help support the automatic rifle. "

Quyen
RPK74 (30)
Next to Milk
Covering east

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 379 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 11:20
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
Mariusz bent down and released the brake from the tank trailer. He dragged it around to the Jeep's tow hitch and connected the two together. He looked over at the Honker, "If someone can drive me over to the mortar pit in the Honker, we could start loading it up with stuff from there."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 828 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 14:44
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
Mariusz Tokarski:
"If someone can drive me over to the mortar pit in the Honker, we could start loading it up with stuff from there."


"Soleblume's support group is priority. And the mortar is too exposed to that reaction force for a soft skin load up." he answers. "I need you to escort a vehicle to RV with her instead. The team should be making its way forwards by now."

Calling from the doorway he says, "Kasparov. You can handle a truck?"

Seeing Griet at the helm of the anti-aircraft system gives a slight boost of confidence. Let them try, he thinks of the waiting enemy. Then before Jason can answer he speaks into the mic, "Milk, Sunray. Send SITREP over."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:45, Fri 31 Oct 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 380 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 15:37
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
"Affirmative, Sir," Mariusz responded, "the Honker should be big enough for what they are carrying."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 316 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 19:29
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
Jason backs up the GAZ 20 meters or so, moving to a spot where the gun has a field of fire to the north past the garage.  As he switches off the ignition, he can make out Konrad's inquiry.
Konrad Bayer:
"Kasparov. You can handle a truck?"

"Don't sound so surprised," he mutters, mistaking the German's inflection.  Before he can reply, Konrad speaks into his radio for a moment, then gives Jason an opportunity to speak.  Raising his voice, he responds to the question, coincidentally answering it the way it was meant to be taken.  "Yes, Boss.  'Bout as well as I can fly a Cessna.  What do you want?"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:33, Fri 31 Oct 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 215 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 22:58
Re: The Cavalry (from the Indians' perspective)
Dave hears the vehicles starting up ahead. He turns to the rest of the small convoy as suggests "I'm hearing trucks starting up. Why don't we just start up the bike, and have whoever is on the bicycles hold on to it? To hell with this pushing stuff, we're not exactly sneaking by anyone."
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 187 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 23:04
Mortar Pit

Clarence watches as the mortar crew run back towards their billet in a building to the east.

"What the fuck are you doing, Dawid? Damnit! Never mind, we aint got time to talk right now. You'd best get your crazy ass behind some cover!"

Milk speaks to Minh in a low voice,


Konrad Bayer:
"Milk, Sunray. Send SITREP over."


The radio, almost forgotten, hisses to life. Milk cringes as Konrad uses his proper name. If the Soviets were listening in, there'd be no doubt now as to where RESET had dissappeared to.

Seeing that Minh has the buildings to the northeast covered, Milk picks up the handset and responds,

"Starlight, Pitchfork. Dawid let the mortar squad go. There are gunmen in the buildings just off the road. We may need some covering fire if we have to leave this position. OVER."
Sam McCoy
 player, 113 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Fri 31 Oct 2008
at 23:49
Roof
Sam will finish off the two men in the road with simple center mass shots on non-moving targets. He will then sight in on the other two in the bunker and shoot them each with single shots center mass. Once done he will yell down to Tucker and inform him about what he sees in a basic salute report. He will continue to scan his sector once these tasks are done.


Sam
Killing
M25 (17/20)

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:19, Sun 02 Nov 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 830 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 1 Nov 2008
at 09:01
Motor Pool Entrance
Bayer calls back from his front door cover, "You and Mariusz link up with the doctor's support group. Load up their gear. We'll secure our own transport and conduct a rear guard... a fighting withdraw if we have to."

Speaking to Mariusz he says, "We lost our other prisoners. Before you go, get back inside and take two to of those inside with you. If possible, any with rank. Can do?"

Bayer's heart was pumping. He felt like a bank robber in the midst of a holdup but without a getaway car. He glances back at the eastern positions and Milk's security team, then speaks into his radio, "Starlight, Sunray. Move towards the objective... linkup with motor transport midway. Over."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 381 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 1 Nov 2008
at 10:30
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
Mariusz ducked quickly back into the garage and picked up the man that had told him about the keys and a second man from the floor, "Come quickly boys, we've a quick job for you to do. Co-operate and we'll let you go as soon as possible."

Mariusz herded the two men into the back of the Honker and sat facing them with his M1911. He waited for Jason to get into the driver's seat.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 296 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 1 Nov 2008
at 20:09
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
Griet zeroed the anit-aircraft gun on the houses of the town, she called over to Bayer and said, "I've got the town covered, Sir!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:09, Sat 01 Nov 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 934 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 1 Nov 2008
at 11:56
Re: Mortar Pit
In reply to Clarence Milk (msg #264):

Beside him at the phone, Dawid looked over at Milk with a puzzled expression.

"You fought with Solidarność partisans, didn't you? This is how a partisan fights. Smarter, not harder."

He continued trying the phone, and while he was at it looked for where the ammunition was stored. The mortar was a fighting position, not in storage. There would be some ready rounds, and perhaps more close by so that the crew would not have to go far to load the 15kg shells.


Stechkin (21/21 + 2 magazines)
2 frags, 2 smokes, 2 flares, 1 RPG-76
Calling HQ and looking for the mortar ammunition.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:38, Sun 02 Nov 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 317 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 1 Nov 2008
at 14:12
Tarpan-Honker
Leaving the key in the GAZ's ignition, Jason takes up the F88 he'd set down on the seat and hops down onto the ground.  "Yessir," he calls back to Konrad.  Turning to Griet, he says to her, "Boss man wants me out from under foot.  See you later," then heads for the Tarpan-Honker where Mariusz is waiting.

Reaching the vehicle, he climbs in behind the steering wheel, setting the Austeyr down on the passenger-side floorboard out of the way.  Speaking to Mariusz over his shoulder, he says, "All set back there?  Here we go."  Firing up the engine, he pulls out and heads south, following the road toward the canal, where he will turn east to link up with the supply group.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 38 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sat 1 Nov 2008
at 21:12
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
Ondar observed as the men poured out of the transporter and their vehicle backed up down the road.  As expected, they quickly moved to high ground in flanking positions rather than engage a defending force directly in an open street fight they would have surely lost.

"Is twelve men," Ondar informs Bayer, pointing out the target structures.  "Hold position in top those two building."

He scans the top floor windows of the left side structure, skipping those armed with AK's in favor of concentrating on troops carrying sniper rifles and support weapons.  Braced against the American jeep, his finger still on the trigger of his SVU-AS, Ondar stands ready to respond to any threat.



[Ondar]
Junkyard
SVU-AS (7/10)
Covering to the east

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 218 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 03:13
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
Dave looks at the small band of men and women pushing the bikes and motorcycle. "Anybody know how to drive this thing?" he asks. While he's talking he's keeping an eye on the guard post to the west.

If someone can drive the bike, Dave will ride in (or on, if it's too loaded with supplies) the side car. Two of the others will ride the bicycles, but holf onto the motorcycle for propulsion. The driver of the m/c will go slow, Dave will be ready to let loose with a HE grenade, either from the mounted launcher or his rifle mounted launcher, whichever is more convenient.

Dave
supply convoy
AK-74, 6 full mags, 1 empty
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag