Ch. 12: Zwolen.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 986 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 05:15
Wake Up Call

From atop the garage, Sam shoots the wounded men lying in the road to the north. The bullet strikes him in the head, smacking it against the asphalt and killing him instantly. Sam adjust his aim to the wounded man in the ditch and fires again, hitting him in the right arm and forcing a scream of agony.

As the mortar team arrives back at their lodging, rifle fire begins to crackle from the buildings flanking the road to the east. Incoming rounds thwop into the mud around the mortar pit or ping off of the derelict vehicles in the mortar pool. It's not particularly well aimed or heavy fire but it does signal intent.

Amongst the half-dozen ready rounds stacked in the bottom of the mortar pit, Dawid finds a field phone and cranks it to life. The voice that answers on the other end is unsteady. When Dawid asks for the garrison's commanding officer, the man stutters for a few moments before hanging up.

Jason and Mariusz, along with two terrified prisoners pull out of the lot in the Tarpan-Honker just as the garrison troops open fire. One or two rounds hit the vehicle but neither it nor its occupants are harmed by them. Jason hangs a right and heads south towards the junction with the road into town along which the canal runs.

To the east, near the southern checkpoint, the atypically alert sentries spot the supply group on the road to their east. One of the sentries shouts a challenge and both adjust their positions so that they can fire down the road if necessary.

Actions?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 936 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 05:45
Re: Wake Up Call
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #273):

It wasn't out of the question they would get a call-back, but there wasn't anything they could do about it now. Bullets whizzed overhead, but there was almost no chance of being hit due to the darkness and range. Putting down the phone, he asked, "while you're on the radio with Konrad, please have him send, ah, a cargo truck, preferably a flatbed to carry the mortar and ammunition."

"Get me some targets, and I can lay down some fire. Enough to get us out of here. Also, I don't know what the plan is for getting out but advise Konrad that as we have to either traverse the town or bypass it to RV with our people, we should go as a group if possible, so please wait for us.


As he waited for Clarence to call, if he was going to, Dawid tried the phone again. Looking over the edge of the mortar pit with his NVGs, he looked for any close targets or ones that were putting out accurate rapid fire, like a machinegun's muzzle-blast.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 832 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 06:20
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
Alexei Ondar:
"Is twelve men," Ondar informs Bayer, pointing out the target structures. "Hold position in top those two building."


"Roger." Bayer responds as he watches Mariusz and Jason's truck pull away. Calling inside he says, "Sergeant Tucker, destroy that radio. What's our vehicle situation? The trailer needs to be hitched to something that can pull it."

When the firing begins, Bayer yells over to the ZU-truck, "Griet, top floor!"
Minh Quyen
 player, 316 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 09:39
Mortar Pit
Already in position to engage the enemy in the buildings, Quyen releases two bursts from the RKP74 almost immediately following the start of the second phase of the battle. With no night vision, she concentrates on one particular repeating muzzle flash.

Quyen
RPK74 (30/40)
Next to Milk
Firing automatic - two 5 round burst (using the bipod)

Jan Cerny
 player, 78 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 15:33
Re: Mortar Pit
As the firing picks starts to pick up outside Jan risks a quick look out the window to assess the situation. "Merde!"
Glancing over to Konrad "We must not stay static. Do you wish me to stay here and guard the prisoners or have someone else do so? "
While he is talking he swaps out the partially emptied magazine from his SMG and puts it back in it's holster. Unslinging the AK74 he gets ready for less stealthy activities.


Jan
guarding the prisoners
AK74:BG15  30/30/1HE
6 spare mags, 9 spare HE
SMG holstered

Konrad Bayer
 player, 833 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 16:11
Re: Mortar Pit
"I want to leave as quickly as possible. If there are no weapons around, I'm am not too concerned about them. Robert is in there destroying the radio anyways. Can you get that trailer hooked up to something that could pull it Jan?" Bayer replies over the cracking of gunfire.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:18, Sun 02 Nov 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 515 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 17:12
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
Konrad Bayer:
"Roger." Bayer responds as he watches Mariusz and Jason's truck pull away. Calling inside he says, "Sergeant Tucker, destroy that radio. What's our vehicle situation? The trailer needs to be hitched to something that can pull it."
Tucker unslings the just captured AK and walks back into the room where the radio he found is.  He takes the weapon off safe and then fires a burst into the Polish radio making sure that it becomes inoperable.  He exits the back room and yells out to Konrad, "It's done Konrad.  Where do you want me?"

Tucker
AK-74 (25/30)
Destroying radio

This message was last edited by the player at 18:00, Sun 02 Nov 2008.

Jan Cerny
 player, 79 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 17:16
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
"No problem. Our young friend already took care of the keys. I will take care of the tanker.
Heading out of the motor pool and carefully looking around for a moment, Jan heads ofer to tow truck and tstarts it up. Once it is running he backs it up to the tanker and hops out to start connecting it to the heavy truck.
Sam McCoy
 player, 116 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 21:06
Garage Roof
Sam will fire on the wounded man in the road then the two in the bunker with well aimed shots.



Sam
killing
M25 (15/20)

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:16, Sun 02 Nov 2008.

Clarence Milk
 NPC, 188 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 21:15
Mortar Pit
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
It wasn't out of the question they would get a call-back, but there wasn't anything they could do about it now. Bullets whizzed overhead, but there was almost no chance of being hit due to the darkness and range. Putting down the phone, he asked, "while you're on the radio with Konrad, please have him send, ah, a cargo truck, preferably a flatbed to carry the mortar and ammunition."

"Get me some targets, and I can lay down some fire. Enough to get us out of here. Also, I don't know what the plan is for getting out but advise Konrad that as we have to either traverse the town or bypass it to RV with our people, we should go as a group if possible, so please wait for us.


"Targets? You see those two buildings with the blinkin' lights? Lobbin' 120mm shells at the town is a good way to kill innocent civilians. Let's see what we can do with small arms first, eh?"

Before Dawid can reply, Milk relays the Polish artillerist's requests to Konrad,

"Starlight, Pitchfork. We are taking fire from the buildings on either side of the main east-west road. Our gunner requests transport for the 120mm mortar and its ammo. OVER."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:29, Sun 02 Nov 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 297 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 21:20
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
Griet traverssed the AA gun and focused the sights on the northern building. She drew a bead on the upper floor and yelled to Bayer, "Am firing on the northernmost of the two buildings, I can't get at the second one!"

She fiddled with the aiming gear a little as she prepared to fire.

Griet
Zoo-2 33/33
Aiming at the upper story of the northern building

This message was last edited by the player at 21:21, Sun 02 Nov 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 383 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 2 Nov 2008
at 22:21
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
Mariusz kept the prisoners under close guard as the Honker headed for thhen you'll be supply section, "Don't worry boys, the Kaptain will just want a cosy little chat and then you'll be free to go."
Alexei Ondar
 player, 39 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Mon 3 Nov 2008
at 01:46
Re: Motor Pool Entrance
Ondar listens as Griet takes aim on the northern building.  He switches his attention to the structure across the street.

"Okay, then I covering to south!"

Again, finger on the trigger, he scans the top floor windows looking for machineguns or other support weapons.  If he finds one, he will end its operator.



[Ondar]
Junkyard
SVU-AS (7/10)
Covering to the east

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 222 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 3 Nov 2008
at 12:33
Supply convoy
"Oh fuck" Dave mutters under his breath when they're spotted by the checkpoint boys. "Target left, let's get some lead heading downrange" he tells the rest of the party.

He drops to one knee and leads off the firing with a HE launched from his BG-15.


Dave
Attacking Southern Checkpoint
AK-74, 6 full mags
BG-15, 5 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 937 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 3 Nov 2008
at 16:06
Re: Mortar Pit
In reply to Clarence Milk (msg #282):

Giving up on the phone, Dawid waited until Milk was off the radio.

Chuckling, he checked a dropped AKM for ammunition, making sure the safety was off and it was set to single shots.

"I guess you didn't hear but I already told the mortar crew if the soldiers didn't back off I actually would shell the town. It was the point of letting them go. So a target not in town would be sufficient for the moment."

Becoming more serious, he continued.

"You know, in order to make good my threat, I must follow through. Still, let's give them a little time to persuade the local commander, then we shall give them a warning shot into the centre of town, eh?"

Putting down the rifle he began to turn the massive mortar tube around. While doing so, he also looked for any kind of nearby bunker that would hold additional ammunition.


Stechkin (21/21 + 2 magazines)
2 frags, 2 smoke, 2 flares, 1 RPG-76
Turning the Mortar to face north-east to where the road into town goes.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 824 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 4 Nov 2008
at 12:01
Supply convoy
"Walter!" Anneka commanded as she let the bicycle she'd been pushing drop to it's side.
"Shoot single shots," she continued in his native Polish.
"Let Stoner guide you."
"Adam, help me get the grenade launcher ready."

Her reliance on Polsh was probably confusing Stoner somewhat, but Anneka felt speaking to the two Poles in any other language could well mean unacceptable delays due to probable misunderstandings.

AK-74 (Minh's)30/30
Issuing quick orders in support of Stoner
Preparing AGL for firing

Jason Kasparov
 player, 320 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 5 Nov 2008
at 01:28
Re: Supply convoy
Following a stairstep-like path through the southern part of town, Jason guides the Honker toward the sound of the erupting firefight between the supply section and the sentries at the southern checkpoint.  Approaching the area, he slows the transport to a stop, with an eye towards catching the checkpoint between two fires.
"Keep those two out of trouble." he tells Mariusz as he dismounts from the little truck.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 384 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 8 Nov 2008
at 21:21
Re: Supply convoy
Mariusz acknowledged Jason's order with a curt nod and kept the two prisoners covered with his pistol, "If the truck comes under fire, I want the two of you to run in the opposite direction of the fire, I'll cover you from here. Once your clear of the shooting, you're on your own and free to go."

Mariusz eyed them carefully, he didn't want them dying needlessly but he didn't want to be jumped by two desperate prisoners either.

Mariusz
M1911 7/7
Covering the two prisoners
Opportunity fire if they make a sudden move

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 990 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 9 Nov 2008
at 20:14
Ebb and Flow

Supply Section

Stoner kneels in the road, takes careful aim at the guard post, and pulls the trigger of the BG-15. The 40mm spins through the darkness and impacts on the inside of the far wall of the sandbagged ring, detonating in a brilliant shower of sparks. Both sentries disappear and a low wailing emits from the smoking position.

In the distance, a pair of headlights appear and begin coming towards the supply section from the west.

Garage

With a captured AK, Tucker hoses down the antique radio, taking it permanently off the air.

Bullets are starting to punch holes through the main office windows. The prisoners relexively cover up but they are relatively safe from direct fire against the south wall.

Sam ignores his rather exposed position and, like a cat toying with an injured mouse, shoots the wounded soldier in the roadside ditch a third time, hitting him in the right leg.

After carefully adjusting the trim and elevation of the truck-mounted autocannon, Griet fires a brace of shots from the ZU-23-2 at the northeastern building. The gun's bark momentarily drowns out all other sounds and a pair of brilliant burning, fist-sized tracers zip into the building, tearing out a chunk of wall beneath a second story window and undoubtedly killing the man who'd been hiding behind it.

Fire from the buildings begins tapering off. Alexei's target options are sparse. Only a few muzzle flashes continue to sparkle, AKs firing single shots in the general direction of the garage and mortar pit.

Jan climbs into the tall cab of the Ural tow-truck and cranks the key in the ignition. With a cough and a shudder, the burly, wheeled beast starts up. Jan flips it into reverse and attempts to back it through the yard towards the tanker trailer. He crashes into a parked wreck but manages to avoid getting tangled up with it.

Tarpan-Honker

Jason uses his navigation skills, honed by years of enjoying a bird's-eye view from the cockpit of various helicopters, to wind his way onto the road to the supply group. A flash and bang from their projected direction suggests trouble but the firing doesn't continue. In the back, Mariusz keeps an eye on the docile prisoners.

Mortar Pit

Minh chooses a target and fires a burst at a muzzle flash in the southeastern building. The five round burst is choked off prematurely as the second round in the batch jams in the chamber. The first round, however, may have found its mark as the targetted muzzle flash stops and does not reappear.

The field phone buzzes and Dawid answers it. The voice on the other end is steadier and more forceful than the one that had answered earlier.

"Whoever this is, I'll have you know that reinforcements are on the way and they've got tanks. You'd better bugger off soon or you'll be sorry."

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:28, Mon 10 Nov 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 321 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 10 Nov 2008
at 00:48
Re: Ebb and Flow
With the gunfire up ahead stopped, Jason says to Mariusz through the window of the Honker, "It looks as though whatever was going on here is finished.  Stay put and I'll go see what's happening.  Back in a minute."

Holding the bullpup rifle at the ready, Jason begins to slowly and carefully walk the hundred meters toward the highway.  When he gets close enough for an angle on the checkpoint, he can see through his goggles the licking of flames and the billowing of smoke, and can hear the keening of the wounded man therein.  Our people must have won, he thinks.  I certainly hope the Hauptmann thought to radio ahead to let them know we were coming.

There is nothing left to do but continue on, and hope he isn't met with friendly fire.  Getting an idea, he stops again in cover about 25 meters from the highway and whistles the first few bars of 'Anchors Aweigh.'
Jan Cerny
 player, 81 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 10 Nov 2008
at 02:02
Re: Ebb and Flow
Whene the towtruck slamned into the wreckage in the dark Jan bounced around in the cab for a second and came up cursing.
"Dieu a damné le camion freeking! Allez où j'ai dit que vous le damnez! Bazar soviétique puant! quatorze hamsters et les restants d'un automagasin! Thats avec lequel je finis travailler. Damnez-le!"
Once again trying to line the truck up with the trailer he tries to avoid the wreck that caught him up the first time.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 517 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 10 Nov 2008
at 02:46
Re: Ebb and Flow
Cap'n Rae:
Garage

With a captured AK, Tucker hoses down the antique radio, taking it permanently off the air.

Bullets are starting to punch holes through the main office windows. The prisoners relexively cover up but they are relatively safe from direct fire against the south wall.Actions?
As Tucker gets the radio out of commission, he exits the back room and comes back out into the garage area and looks for some hard cover as he sees bullets starting to penetrate the garage area.  He motions with his hands for the prisoners to stay down on the floor so they don't get hit by the errant rounds now coming in.  He also checks out the inside the area to see if there's anyone else left on his team inside or lingering around.  He grabs for the radio handset and calls Konrad, Sunray, Knife.  Radio out of comission.  Awaiting orders.  Over!"

Tucker
AK-74 [25/30]
Inside garage awaiting orders

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 942 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 10 Nov 2008
at 17:59
Re: Ebb and Flow
Cap'n Rae:
The field phone buzzes and Dawid answers it. The voice on the other end is steadier and more forceful than the one that had answered earlier.


"Ah! must be for me."

Dawid raised his eyebrows at Milk has he picked up the phone and listened.

Cap'n Rae:
"Whoever this is, I'll have you know that reinforcements are on the way and they've got tanks. You'd better bugger off soon or you'll be sorry."


He swallowed and took a deep breath, trying to sound confident and in control, yet sincere.

"This is the Home Army. We have taken control of the motor pool and the mortar pit, and have captured the mortar. We will take what we need and then leave."

"Your men fought bravely for their honour of Poland, but reinforcements or no, you will not be able to stop us. If you do not cease firing immediately we will have no choice but to fire back on the town, and cause great damage."

"There has been to much killing on both sides, between brothers. So please, in the name of God and Christ the merciful let us stop the killing here. I could arrange a demonstration that I know how to use this mortar, if you are unconvinced of my sincerity."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:00, Mon 10 Nov 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 223 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 11 Nov 2008
at 00:29
Re: Ebb and Flow
Seeing the destruction his grenade caused, Dave smiles and give himself a quick head nod. "Get ya some" he mutters under his breath.

As the headlights approach, he glances over at Anneka and asks "Is that the Wild Bunch? Are they on the way?"
Before he can get an answer he hears a shadowy figure whilstling a familiar tune.
"Hey fuckers, is that you?" he calls out.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 835 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 11 Nov 2008
at 01:08
Re: Ebb and Flow
"Tuck! Out here." Bayer yells into the doorway. "Griet keep going!" he yells to her.

When Robert arrives he fills him in, "Our team at the mortar pit with enemy occupying two buildings beyond. Too much fire to risk a truck at the moment but that might be changing. We need suppressive fire on that position."

"Jan has tow truck with fuel, and medium load truck is already gone. Can you drive another?"

Bayer
Motor Pool Building Doorway
Communicating