Ch. 12: Zwolen.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 837 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 21 Nov 2008
at 06:01
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
"West. We'll take the lead, head about three miles and find somewhere to halt briefly," Anneka said to Jason next to her.
Picking up the handset she transmitted a short message.
"This is Starlight. Follow us."
For a moment she considered launching a couple of grenades towards the enemy riflemen to cover their withdrawal, but common sense took over as she realised she was just as likely to him innocent civilians as her intended targets.
"You ok?" she asked, feeling something was wrong with the pilot next to her.
"Have to say you've done a great job so far," she continued thinking he could do with a little encouragement.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 963 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 21 Nov 2008
at 12:07
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
After the brutal job of loading the mortar, Dawid mounted up.

Finally he sighed and said to Tucker, "it is good to see you, my friend! I am well; we have another mortar and so all is right with the world! The cease-fire I negotiated with the local garrison seems to be falling apart, let us meet up with the others, with haste."

At the garage they met up with the other vehicles. Dawid had a thought, and as they were waiting for the Tarpan-Honker to arrive dismounted.

"Please wait, I will be right back!"

Ignoring the wild shots whizzing by Dawid darted into the garage's office and, looking around, grabbed the field telephone sitting on the L-shaped counter. He barely noted the bloodstained bedclothes on the floor under his boots, and also the blood splattered on the walls beside him.

Once back outside he mounted the waiting tow-truck. "There, this should help!"

At the road that led west to Radom, Dawid had Tucker stop again. Using his Tantal he severed out the telephone line by carefully targeting the ancient ceramic transformers on top of the poles.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:13, Fri 21 Nov 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 334 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Fri 21 Nov 2008
at 15:45
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
"West it is, Ma'am," Jason acknowledges as the Major prepares to make her radio call.  When she asks if he's okay, he responds, "Thank you, Major.  Just some things on my mind, Ma'am.  I'll come talk to you if I can't clear them up myself.  That's a promise."  Speaking to the medical officer about his problems just might help, but this is not the time nor the place to do so.

Revving the engine again, he pulls the motorcycle around the cavalcade and takes the lead, heading north to Wojska Polskiego and making a left turn toward Radom at the intersection.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 389 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 21 Nov 2008
at 16:53
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
Mariusz watched the Honker's six as the vehicle got into a small convoy. He hoped that they would get out of here as soon as possible.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 302 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 21 Nov 2008
at 16:54
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
Griet watched the other vehicles rolling into line and then they all headed west. She kept her eyes peeled and did her best to see if there were any more surprises in the dark.
Minh Quyen
 player, 322 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 06:58
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
Quyen leans back and settles more comfortably into the back of the jeep. The RPK is still facing the left side, ready if needed. The cold wind bit into her and she pulls her hood up over her head. Leaning down to shield from the wind, she tries several times to get a smoke lit. After a few moments - success. Quyen then leans back and stares out into the dark night.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 238 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 11:04
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
Dave looks out of the back of the Honker and amuses himself by making faces at the vehicle behind it.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 847 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 11:48
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
Bayer toggles his radio, "All call signs, this is Sunray. Go to black out lights, or night vision." He looks down at the map in his lap and holds it down against the wind with his free hand, "We will move to grid 589 345... to the north. RV there, shake out into motor travel formation, assess the fuel situation, and head out. Over."

OOC - Is it safe to assume the military vehicles at least have black out lights?
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 390 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 17:57
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
Mariusz watched the dark lands around him as they headed out of Zwolen for wherever they decided to go. His mind was full of regrets, he regretted the loss of his precious kitchen, he regretted having to take the lives of Polish boys in what amounted to an act of banditry, he regretted not spending more time with Maria, but most of all he regretted leaving Brother Stanislaw's body to rot and be a victim of predation.

The man had saved his life and stopped him being a victim and he had repaid him by leaving his body as if it was the weekly refuse. His knuckles tightened up on the G3. he could never make it up to Brother Stanislaw now, all he could do was to try to atone for his sins by helping Poland. He looked at the pile of goods salvaged from the boat. Somewhere in there would be the Project Reset papers that the Americans were trying to steal from it's Polish inventors.

He looked grimly into the darkness. He would need to talk to Dawid...
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 304 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 19:08
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
Griet kept morosely scanning the darkness just in case violence should errupt once more. Once again she thought about how she could have been drawn into this fool's errand by her father. Not only had he set himself up with the impossible mission of fighting his way down the river, he had double-crossed Krakow and taken on a CIA Agent with an open secret that everybody had wanted.

Now, the attempt in shattered remnants, he still tried to continue, with no food, precious little equipment and a ragged group held together by the narrowest of margins. She gritted her teeth. It seemed that Adam wouldn't be satisfied til they were all in their graves, killed by his sense of honour and duty. She shrugged, for most of those that had joined in Adam's folly, the dead hadn't even had the comfort of the grave. Bones of Adam's ambition lay scattered and bleaching from here to Krakow, she wondered how many more would line the road to Warsaw.
Sam McCoy
 player, 119 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 19:47
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
As they drive down the road, Sam will sing out loud various songs from Mettalica's Ride the Lightning album.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:07, Sat 22 Nov 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 527 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 20:29
Re: Reuntied and it Feels So Good
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
After the brutal job of loading the mortar, Dawid mounted up.

Finally he sighed and said to Tucker, "it is good to see you, my friend! I am well; we have another mortar and so all is right with the world! The cease-fire I negotiated with the local garrison seems to be falling apart, let us meet up with the others, with haste."

At the garage they met up with the other vehicles. Dawid had a thought, and as they were waiting for the Tarpan-Honker to arrive dismounted.

"Please wait, I will be right back!"

Ignoring the wild shots whizzing by Dawid darted into the garage's office and, looking around, grabbed the field telephone sitting on the L-shaped counter. He barely noted the bloodstained bedclothes on the floor under his boots, and also the blood splattered on the walls beside him.

Once back outside he mounted the waiting tow-truck. "There, this should help!"

At the road that led west to Radom, Dawid had Tucker stop again. Using his Tantal he severed out the telephone line by carefully targeting the ancient ceramic transformers on top of the poles.
Tucker nods to Dawid, "Glad we're all still in one piece here. Look, we gotta move this new mortar and shit quick or we're gunna get all chewed up.  These garrison guys are gunna get lucky and pop one of us if we ain't quick gettin' this shit outta here!"

As they stop and get the field telephone and then again for dawid to sever the phone lines, Tucker yells to Jan to get a move on and keep up with the others.  He reaches for his own radion handset and keys the mike once he hears Konrad call.  "Sunray, Knife.  All accounted for and going black.  Knife out."

Robert reaches for his own set of NVG's and puts them on his helmet and turns them on. If he can't reach his rifle, he asks one of the others to hand it to him on the back of the truck.  He also yells in, "Lights off!  Switching to night vision."

Tucker
Holstered Browning HP
Getting out of town in tow truck
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1010 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 20:33
On Through the Night

Dawid tears loose the field phone handset from the counter top and runs outside to shoot up what appears to be a transformer or switching box at the top of a nearby telephone pole. He puts five rounds into it (firing 10) to no discernable effect. There is no spectacular shower of sparks or other sign indicating success. It was worth a try.

Dawid hops into one of the waiting trucks and the the little convoy heads north along the 787, passing the recently abandoned northern checkpoint on its way out of town. Two gravely wounded garrison soldiers lie by the roadside, spending what could very well be their last minutes on earth cold and alone.

The convoy pushes hard through the darkness, quickly putting 15km between itself and Zwolen. Konrad checks his maps and pulls the convoy off of the road into a small wood roughly 7 or 8km south of the small town of Kozienice. They have neither seen nor heard any signs of human life along the way but a night approach to a potentially enemy-held settlement with the party disorganized and exhausted from a night of combat would likely lead to disaster.

The vehicles park among the sparsely situated trees and the group sets about getting organized.

Actions?
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 528 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 20:52
Re: On Through the Night
Cap'n Rae:
Dawid tears loose the field phone handset from the counter top and runs outside to shoot up what appears to be a transformer or switching box at the top of a nearby telephone pole. He puts five rounds into it (firing 10) to no discernable effect. There is no spectacular shower of sparks or other sign indicating success. It was worth a try.

Dawid hops into one of the waiting trucks and the the little convoy heads north along the 787, passing the recently abandoned northern checkpoint on its way out of town. Two gravely wounded garrison soldiers lie by the roadside, spending what could very well be their last minutes on earth cold and alone.

The convoy pushes hard through the darkness, quickly putting 15km between itself and Zwolen. Konrad checks his maps and pulls the convoy off of the road into a small wood roughly 7 or 8km south of the small town of Kozienice. They have neither seen nor heard any signs of human life along the way but a night approach to a potentially enemy-held settlement with the party disorganized and exhausted from a night of combat would likely lead to disaster.

The vehicles park among the sparsely situated trees and the group sets about getting organized.

Actions?
Tucker hops out of the back of the tow truck and slings his rifle.  He waits for the others to get out of the truck and checks on Clarence and his wound.  He calls out to Anneka, "Major!  Got a wound over here on Milk that could use some tending to!"

He walks over next to Dawid and Jan.  "Jan, you got security.  Dawid, me and you will try to sort this mess out back here so it doesn't fall out on us."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 305 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 20:56
Re: On Through the Night
Once the convoy stopped, griet grabbed a torch and crawled under the gun truck's body. Whilst the others decided what was to be done, she crawled over as many of the vehicles as she could to try to determine how mechanically sound they were. She might be useless tactically and in combat on land, but at least she could make herself useful here and now.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 391 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 20:57
Re: On Through the Night
Mariusz moved to the edge of the clearing and took up sentry as soon as the vehicles stopped. He assumed it was the sensible thing for him to do, but expected to be told if he should be doing anything else.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 306 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 22 Nov 2008
at 21:33
Re: On Through the Night
Griet stuck her head out of the American jeep's bonnet and called softly over to Bayer, "Sir, this piece of American crap is next to useless. The head gasket's gone and is maybe a few kilometeres off exploding. The best thing to do with it is strip it, drain fuel and oil and take the battery. The parts are worthless and worn to s**t. It'll take me thirty minutes to strip and drain, I can use the fuel and oil to top of our other vehicles. Do you want me to go ahead?"
Alexei Ondar
 player, 53 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sun 23 Nov 2008
at 02:02
Re: On Through the Night
Ondar follows the lead vehicle, and pulls the KAMAZ 6x6 deep enough into the woods to not be seen from the main road.  He begrudgingly shuts down the engine along with the cab's heater  Being caked in dried human waste is vastly superior to being soaked to the bone in the same amount of raw sewage.  Leaving his Nighthawk night vision goggles engaged he grabs his rifle and circles the perimeter of their makeshift camp one time before heading back in to find Milk and check on his wound status.  Satisfied that the American's injury is superficial, the Tuvan paratrooper heads back to the flatbed's cab and rumages through his bag to change his socks and find a clean pair of trousers.

Once Ondar is in a fresh change of clothes, he crawls under the gun truck to check in with the captain's daughter and inquire as to what kind of mechanical shape their convoy is in.  Simple math regarding fuel consumption indicates an eventual need to consolidate the team and their cargo into fewer than the five vehicles which they now possessed.

He then revisits Milk and requests to speak with the American operator as he tends to his ear.

"GRU had man on tug early," he begins.  "Yesterday said I tell you how but got busy so I tell now."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 965 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 23 Nov 2008
at 04:21
Re: On Through the Night
Dawid felt bad about leaving the wounded to perhaps die unattended, but they were raiders and couldn't spare the time to administer aid. Perhaps their comrades would assist them in time, perhaps not.

God would decide.

When they stopped Dawid immediately lit a cigarette, then wandered over to the other vehicles. He searched for and found his Tantal, planning on asking Griet later where his PKM and the spare ammo had been stowed.

Strapping on the ammo harness and slinging the rifle over his shoulder, he walked over to where the impromptu command group was waiting.

He nodded at Griet, then at the rest of the people gathered. "My friend, I should like to retrieve my machinegun and ammunition, when it is convenient for you."

"Good to see everyone made it! I think? Yes? A most successful operation."


Ondar made his not-too-surprising revelation of a mole or agent on the Queen, at least on the early part of the voyage.

"Comrade Aleksy, that is interesting but not too surprising, and we would love to hear further. Is this traitor still among us?"

He dragged on his smoke and waited.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 848 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 23 Nov 2008
at 05:50
Re: On Through the Night
"Your best assessment?" Bayer asks Griet. Nodding slowly he says, "Ok then. Get all the fuel." Pointing towards the black silhouette of the flatbed, he says, "How much ammo is in the flak gun?"

Slinging his rifle he finds Jan, "Setup a sentry point. If there is no good place for observation... somewhere along the route we entered."

...then Jason, "Kasparov. Get a quick check on the fuel for all the vehicles and that tanker. Find out how far we have until we walk. Also, see if there are any jerry cans and see what can be done about topping up the truck's tanks from the tanker."

"Doctor, Tuck, Sam... on me please." he announces. (OOC - Actually anyone is invited for game play purposes) He purposely leaves out Milk for the moment as he seems to be involved in something with Ondar.

Guiding them over he says, "Someone give me a tentative seating arrangement. Sam's old one is out now that the jeep is lost. Put me in the lead vehicle passenger seat."

"What kind of weapons can we get mounted immediately?" he asks to his little pow wow group. Bayer then informs them how much 23mm ammo the ZU23 has.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:51, Sun 23 Nov 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 120 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 23 Nov 2008
at 06:04
Re: On Through the Night

"Hey, its cool if you smoke on your time but we are trying to hide right now, if that's cool with you, David. You can all sit here and talk, I don't care. I'm going to set security with the boy and our rifles. His training starts now- I must give something to this country. I will set up the direction we just came- about 100 meters down the road we will set up a hide and wait. Once you start up the trucks that will be our signal to come in. I will yell out MILLER as the running pass word. Everyone cool with this? Put me in any seat or on any gun. I can drive also. Griet, these jeeps are made to run foreever the head gasket leaks from the factory dont worry. Also the parts are just worn in now. Well brothers I'm off. Young warrior, let's go set security. I have some things to teach you about being a worthless killer of men and just general scourge of the earth... HAHA!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:10, Sun 23 Nov 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 337 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 23 Nov 2008
at 06:48
Re: On Through the Night
Jason pulls the motorcycle to a halt within the clearing and shuts down the engine, holding the bike still to allow Anneka to climb out of the sidecar.  They had only come a relatively short distance, but he was thrilled.  Riding a bike is, as usual, a lot of fun -- almost as much fun as flying.  He hopes that he will continue to be able to ride the BMW knock-off as the trip goes on.

Using the jerrycan mounted on the sidecar, he tops off the cycle's fuel tank.  Noticing Ondar changing his trousers and socks, he decides that sounds like a good idea.  Rummaging through the cargo in the Tarpan-Honker, he finds his bundled gear.  Taking out his flight suit and some clean socks, he changes into the dry clothing.  He has just zipped the zipper and is returning the damp clothing to the bundle when Konrad finds him.
Konrad Bayer:
"Kasparov. Get a quick check on the fuel for all the vehicles and that tanker. Find out how far we have until we walk. Also, see if there are any jerry cans and see what can be done about topping up the truck's tanks from the tanker."

"Yessir.  Right away," he replies.  He goes from vehicle to vehicle, checking the fuel tanks and looking for jerry cans, checking on other equipment as well.  Using any jerrycans discovered (or the one from the motorcycle, if there are no others), he begins tranferring fuel from the tank trailer to the trucks.  When he finishes, he fills all the jerrycans, including the one from the cycle, and returns them to the corresponding vehicles.  The task completed, he goes to Konrad to report on the fuel status, and whatever equipment was found.
Minh Quyen
 player, 323 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 23 Nov 2008
at 07:43
Re: On Through the Night
Quyen climbs out of the back of the jeep and heads searches around the vehicles until she finds the RPG. Sticking a reload between the straps of her webbing she motions to the Hauptmann that she'll go with Jan.

"I'll watch the road in for any pursuit." she tells Jan.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 54 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sun 23 Nov 2008
at 07:51
Re: On Through the Night
"Alexei is Russian name,"  Ondar responded to Piotrowski's inquiry, noting that the Pole had joined his conversation with Milk.  "Hang on me when I born.  Not real name.  I called Ondar.  It family name.  How I address, so call me that OK?  Also, American Sam right about smoke.  Bad light and odor discipline.  You be amaze how far pick up that stink across countryside on cold night."

He tilts his head and considers the irony of the admonition he had just issued.

"Other hand, maybe only just bad as engine exhaust and river of shit you wearing.  But we in bandit country now.  Best be careful."

Ondar squats.  Sitting on his heels, he motions for the artillerist to sit with them.

"Anyhow," the ex-GRU operator continues, "GRU know RESET go to Krakow.  We have man on inside from start.  One of your Lieutenant.  Recruit American college student very easy.  Hard part getting them to keep mouth shut long enough to be any use.  Anyway, he dead now and not threat to you."

He pauses, unclear whether for dramatic effect, clears his throat and continues talking.

"We know RESET leave Krakow, but we not know which way.  So, we follow all teams.  We not learn about tugboat - was ... process of elimination - until it already under way.  So we got man on board at locks.  He pose as British or Australian.  Easiest accent to fake and fool Americans with.  He probably called 'Mad Dog' and use name Maddox or Maddock."

Ondar then goes on to describe perfectly the physical characteristics of the alleged Royal Marine Commando prisoner recovered following the battle to navigate the locks.

"Once he on board, he confirm tugboat have RESET.  He alert GRU but KGB sniper get him before we make rendezvous.  Sorry about your friends.  American General in your period of insurrection say, 'War is Hell.'  It true, but we not require make it so every chance we get."

He turns to address Piotrowski.

"I know you Home Army think RESET belong here with Poles.  I no scientist - I not know what RESET even is.  Americans sacrifice entire division as smokescreen to recover it.  Maybe it cure cancer or perpetual motion.  All I know is ... it need to be far from Moscow as can.  It stay in Poland then Poland not safe."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 392 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 23 Nov 2008
at 09:22
Re: On Through the Night
Mariusz got up from his position and followed McCoy back down their trail. He moved quietly, not wanting to break operational silence unduly.