Ch. 12: Zwolen.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 876 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 28 Sep 2008
at 00:17
Re: Bak on the Farm
"Huh, I guess that you getting captured by the Poles was lucky. Otherwise, you'd be on a GULAG somewhere by now."

He shrugged, ambivalent at the fortunes of war.

"We're heading to Warszawa. Some of us have, or had, family there, and your Americas comrades have heard word they are going to be evacuated from Europe, head home. First they have to make it to Germany alive, of course."

"I can ask if you want to come along, I don't think anyone would mind."


This may invite reprisal on the farmers, and they sure probably needed the help around the farm, but he deserved the opportunity.

Being on a working farm again like the one he grew up on evoked a warm rush of familiarity and nostalgia. He wasn't sure what the plan was but he figured he might be able to pitch in around the barn as a favour to their hosts before getting some sleep.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:55, Sun 28 Sept 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 497 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 28 Sep 2008
at 03:36
Re: Bak on the Farm
After the patrol leaves the farm, Robert steps up to Konrad, "When we leave, we're going to have to make it look like we threatened these people and give the impression we took stuff from them!  We need to hit that town hard and get what we need and run like hell.  Well, I'm gunna grab some chow and then some Z's sir.  Let me know what you need from me."

Tucker goes and gets something from the two women who came in with food for the group.  He gets a plate and goes and sits down to eat it by by McCoy.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 17 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sun 28 Sep 2008
at 09:59
Earlier - Back on the Raft
Milk:
"You have my respect as a soldier. Trust, like you said, aint so easy. Someday, maybe. So far it looks like you're tellin' the truth. One thing I been curious about, though: how'd your people- the KGB or GRU or whatever- how'd they know RESET was with me, on the tug?"


Ondar nods in understanding.

"Is pretty twisted.  I tell you tonight.  When we make camp."

The Russian returns his attention to the river ahead.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 180 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 01:45
Re: Earlier - Back on the Raft
Alexei Ondar:
Ondar nods in understanding.

"Is pretty twisted.  I tell you tonight.  When we make camp."

The Russian returns his attention to the river ahead.


More time for you to cook up another story...

"Looking forward to it."

Clarence resumes scanning his assigned defensive sector as the Zodiac motors for the cache site.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 937 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 01:53
Re: Bak on the Farm
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Huh, I guess that you getting captured by the Poles was lucky. Otherwise, you'd be on a GULAG somewhere by now."

He shrugged, ambivalent at the fortunes of war.

"We're heading to Warszawa. Some of us have, or had, family there, and your Americas comrades have heard word they are going to be evacuated from Europe, head home. First they have to make it to Germany alive, of course."

"I can ask if you want to come along, I don't think anyone would mind."


Latrell is quiet for a moment, shifting his wait nervously as he prepares his answer. His reply is rambling and noncommital,

"Thanks man, but uh...  I don't know, man. I seen what they do to dudes who try to escape. I mean, I wanna go home just as much as the next guy but, last I heard there aint no home to go back to. Things aint too bad here... I mean... And the Baks, man... if I leave here, it aint gonna be pretty for them, ya know what Im sayin'? I just don't know..."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 803 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 05:16
Re: Party Crashers
Cap'n Rae:
"So, er, I don't wish to be rude but when do you all mean to be leaving?"


Bayer replies, "I expect to be gone before morning."

With most of the team taking it easy, he unfolds his map.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 877 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 11:50
Re: Back on the Farm
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #24):

Dawid smoked a cigarette, judging the other man.

"Believe me when I say this my friend Latrell, I understand."

"These are good people that do not deserve any trouble, and there are worse places to stay than a farm. As long as one works hard, there is always food to eat and a warm place to sleep, if the good Lord is willing!"

"We Poles are a warm, generous people. One day we will throw our foreign masters out, and we will need good people like yourself to help us rebuild."

"Just remember the offer is not closed. As well, I shall keep in mind that a fellow artilleryman such as myself is here, for we in the Home Army resistance could make use of your talents."


He finished his cigarette and departed to see if there was anything he could do around the farm to help out before taking a nap.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:51, Mon 29 Sept 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 805 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 13:31
Re: Back on the Farm
Arriving with the second "wave" Anneka busied herself taking stock of their supplies, ensuring nobody was carrying more than they absolutely had to. Her own pack, only containing the bare minimum of vital equipment, was barely light enough for her to carry any significant distance and so she was selfishly happy to see space for it being freed up on the bicycles.
"We should move on as soon as possible," she said while they waited for the last boatload to arrive.
"A team should be already scouting the town."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 290 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 13:46
Re: Back on the Farm
"Oh.  Hello, Cat," Jason says to the mouser, deliberately not speaking in falsetto or baby talk.  "This must be your spot, eh?  Fine.  One stall is as good as any."  He turns and moves two stalls down the line, setting his ruck down in the straw.  Next, he gets out the cigarettes and goes to see Minh.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 498 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 15:07
Re: Back on the Farm
Once he is done eating, Tucker will start to get his gear ready for the assault.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 291 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 16:17
Re: Back on the Farm
When the two women set out the food, Jason gets up and goes over to the blanket.  Taking a plate from the young blonde, he vaguely recalls Mariusz speaking about her while he was preoccupied in the bunker.  He speaks to her.  "Wdzięczności, młoda pani. Wy musi jest Maria. Mój przyjaciel Mariusz powiedział  mnie o was. JA jestem zadowalane spotykać  was." 

Taking the food, he sits down to eat at the edge of the blanket.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:02, Tue 30 Sept 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 276 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 16:39
Re: Back on the Farm
Griet smiled at the women who had given them the food and enjoyed what was likely to be their last warm meal for a while.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 354 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 16:40
Re: Back on the Farm
Mariusz looked up sharply when Jason mentioned him, he looked at Maria and blushed, "It was all good, I swear!"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 938 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 29 Sep 2008
at 23:35
Come and Get It!

Blushing at the attention from the young fighting men, Maria leaves the shed, accompanied by the older woman. A boy of about twelve or so joins the older woman's side from where he'd been peeking through the shed entrance and the trio head back to the farmhouse. Set out before the party is a modest feast- beef and vegetable stew, freshly baked bread, butter, cheese, a pitcher of milk and a pitcher of thick, warm beer- all most certainly made fresh on the premises.

The members of the group gather from the various stalls to which each has staked their claim and takes their places around the blanket. The cattle shed, with its reduced occupancy is well kept and fresh straw covers the floor. It's the first time that the entire group has been together for a meal since... Come to think of it, it's the first time ever. Even though the party has been spoiled over the past week by Mariusz's skillful cooking, everyone appreciates the simple but tasty fare.

The communal meal offers the perfect opportunity to further discuss a course for the near future, including the suggestion of a grab-and-go raid on Zwolen's vehicle repair yard/motor pool.

Actions?


OOC: I'm still looking for a suitable bird's-eye pic of a town for you to use as a planning instrument. The images of Zwolen from Google Earth offer next to no detail. Please take this opportunity to discuss and plan for the immediate future, as best you can. Try not to be a "rider". The sooner a raid is planned, the sooner we can get to the action I sense that some of you are waiting for...

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:51, Mon 29 Sept 2008.

Jan Cerny
 player, 61 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 30 Sep 2008
at 03:51
Re: Come and Get It!
"I am thinking that we should send out the scouting party fairly soon. It is only about 7km to the town, it should not take long to get there even with avoiding contact. Once positioned we could watch the activity and get more intel. With that we can decide what is next. You have decided who is to go Hauptman?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 807 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 30 Sep 2008
at 04:05
Re: Come and Get It!
"We all here?" Anneka asked looking about the straw strewn interior of the barn.
"Obviously our situation has changed dramatically in the past half a day or so and we've lost one hell of a lot in the way of supplies."
"Although I've spoken with most of you in the past few weeks and gained what I hope is a fairly comprehensive understanding of your unique skills, knowledge and abilities, we,"
she nodded towards Konrad, "don't yet know what each person is carrying and how that could contribute to our combined future."
"With that in mind, I'd appreciate it if everyone could let me know what weapons you have, how much ammunition, radios, food, and anything else that may shape our future choices."

Although she had a good grasp on what was loaded aboard the three bikes, nobody really knew just how much they truely had of anything, especially when it came to items that may prove vital such as cold weather clothing, blankets, or even if anyone carried a compass!
"I realise it is a bit of an imposition, but think it's vitally important information."
"While the list is being compiled, I suggest the combat types amongst us work with the Hauptman on a plan to acquire transportation. I suggest a team of say four scout the nearby town in preparation for a night time raid. All our supplies should go with us so we don't need to retrace our steps back here and potentially bring trouble upon our hosts."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 879 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 30 Sep 2008
at 05:33
Re: Come and Get It!
After dropping off his gear and chopping some wood, Dawid sits down to eat.

He looked Ondar's uniform over. Spetsnaz often wore the uniform and tabs of the nearest Desant comms unit. If he was VDV he would have a Guard's patch on the sleeve of his airborne coveralls. If he was Spetsnaz it would be lacking; "Guards" units like the VDV dated back to WWII whereas the Spetsnaz were formed later and therefore they would lack it. Both VDV and Spetsnaz wore the same blue-white striped telnyashka shirt, so that wasn't a giveaway.

From his story, he already had a good idea the man was Okhotniki (a "hunter", the nick-name for Spetsnaz) but he wanted to confirm that.

"So Ondar, what unit were you with?"

Regarding their overall plans, he was a machine-gunner and would likely be used in a supporting role to provide covering fire.

He addressed the group.

"I have my PKM and 700 rounds of ammunition. All belted, but only 2 belts in ammo cans. For backup I have the Tantal and 40mm grenade-launcher. As well as the RPG-76. I have some night-glasses, no radio."

"I have observed that the town is surrounded by farms, and is overlooked by low but open hills, except for the SE and East where the 2 waterways approach the town."

"The town is surrounded by over a kilometer of open farmland (including the higher ground), making an undetected approach difficult from most angles. However, there are are many trees along the streams.

"We could infiltrate a machinegun along one waterway and an assault team along the other. When the MG opens up to provide a distraction and covering fire, the assault team goes in. Fire lanes can be designated ahead of time to avoid hitting our own people. We can escape back along the same routes if need be.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:55, Tue 30 Sept 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 804 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 30 Sep 2008
at 13:57
Grand Theft Auto - Poland
Bayer selects an open area in the barn and lays out the map. Ensuring there is enough sitting room for everyone he calls everyone over and has them take a seat around the map. He has Tucker, Mariusz, McCoy, and Jan sit together on one side and everyone else together on the other.

"Listen please." Bayer begins. He then introduces the map indicating their location, Zwolen, the streams, other locations of habitation and potentially important roadways.

"Tonight we carry on to Zwollen to acquire motor transportation to continue the primary mission to Warsaw. Everyone will be involved, either as part of the recce element or the main body/support element." Bayer says.

"Groupings and taskings... A recce det will consist of Mariusz, McCoy, Cerny and Sergeant Tucker. Robert, you are in command of this element. Your task is to proceed to Zwolen as the lead element of our unit.

Mission... You will have two objectives to complete. One, reconnoiter the enemy defenses and confirm the presence of suitable motor transportation. Two, assault and secure the vehicles for their extraction.

Execution... The concept for this operation will be in four phases.

Phase 1- move to Zwolen.
Phase 2- reconnoiter the defenses, confirm the presence of transportation.
Phase 3- maintain eyes on the objective until the main body gets into a supporting position.
Phase 4- assist in the elimination of the garrison by close assault. Secure the vehicles and move them to the release point for the withdraw.

For phase 1, your route will be at your discretion. Make the best use of time and avoid all enemy and civilian contact.

Time out will be 1800 hours (dusk?). You must have completed your first mission objective by no later than 0200 hours.

Fire support (direct) will be provided only once the main body establishes a support base during phase 3.

Infiltrate the town how you see fit... without raising the alarm. The vehicles you need to confirm need to be of suitable cargo capacity, containing enough fuel to move to a new hide, and which must at least appear to be in working order.

Administration... Robert, confirm with me the weapons and equipment you want you your team to bring. Weapons should be kept light, and preferably silenced. Support weapons will be with the main body. Rations should be sufficient for each man to get through on their own if split up until they can reach rendevous.

Command and signals... the recce det will need a serviceable radio. Your patrol will be required to report in the ongoing progress of your mission, as well as enemy and civilian forces identified. I'll leave the det's chain of command up to Sergeant Tucker to sort out. H-Hour for securing the vehicles will be made once both the recce det and main element are in position and the objective is confirmed. If the enemy is made aware of our presence, be prepare to alter the plan on the go.

Questions from the recce element?

This message was last edited by the player at 13:58, Tue 30 Sept 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 805 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 30 Sep 2008
at 14:15
Re: Grand Theft Auto - Poland
"Groupings and taskings... the main body/support element will consist of myself, Major Soleblume, Milk, Stoner, Quyen, Dawid, Griet, Kasparov, Captain Rataj and his companion, and Ondar. Exactly everyone else who is not in the reece element. Our task is to proceed to Zwolen and establish a support base to assist the recce element's mission.

Mission... the support element will establish a support base at a position that will be determined once the enemy positions are confirmed. In position, the main body will provide direct fire support to suppress any enemy forces encountered.

Execution... The concept for this operation will be in three phases.

Phase 1- move to Zwolen.
Phase 2- establish a fire base.
Phase 3- assist in the elimination of the garrison by providing supporting fire. Cover the vehicles as they move to the release point for the withdraw.

Time out will be 1830 hours, 30 minutes after the recce element.

We're going to be moving in a route proven clear of enemy positions by the recce element. They'll locate the objective and radio a suitable position for us to establish a firebase at. Once everyone is ready, a H-hour will be given. Then we will provide direct fire onto the enemy garrison to suppress them and to divert their attention from the recce element.

We are the last off the objective area. Once the vehicles are moving we will move to a release point and link up. Once in the vehicles we will move to a new hide to assess our options.

Administration... We'll be hauling most of the gear. We'll utilize the bicycles for cargo transport. Everything we can carry goes.

Command and signals... I'll be in radio contact with the recce element. Major Soleblume will be the 2/ic for our group.

Questions from the main element?"

Clarence Milk
 NPC, 181 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Tue 30 Sep 2008
at 21:00
Re: Grand Theft Auto - Poland
Konrad Bayer:
Administration... We'll be hauling most of the gear. We'll utilize the bicycles for cargo transport. Everything we can carry goes.

Command and signals... I'll be in radio contact with the recce element. Major Soleblume will be the 2/ic for our group.

Questions from the main element?"</Blue>


"Sounds good sir. I'm worried about the bikes, though. It'll be a bitch to move 'em at night, cross-country- especially near the river. Maybe we could load the Zodiacs up again and then tow 'em from the shore with ropes. We may have to ditch the motorbike, though- it's just too heavy.

Also, I'd like the recon element to keep a look out for land lines on the way in. They're probably laid along the main road. If we can find 'em, we should cut 'em right before we make our play for the trucks."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:33, Tue 30 Sept 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 292 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 30 Sep 2008
at 23:20
Re: Grand Theft Auto - Poland
Konrad Bayer:
"Questions from the main element?"

Jason raises his hand.  "I have a question, Hauptmann.  Did you want me carrying that Austeyr with the grenade launcher?  I have no experience with the M-203 beyond basic training.  Is there anybody who can use it better than me, that doesn't already have a grenade launcher?  If not, I can use it, but I'll have to set aside my AK in order to carry the F88 in combat.  I could barely move carrying both rifles from the river to the farm."
Minh Quyen
 player, 300 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 1 Oct 2008
at 01:57
Re: Grand Theft Auto - Poland
Quyen sits at the o-group with an unlit smoke dangling from her mouth. She massages her wound under the bandages, fortunate it wasn't worse. She glances over at Stoner's injury... he was more than lucky too. Listening to the Hauptmann's orders she traces an imaginary route from their position to Zwolen... shouldn't be that bad of a go, she thinks optimistically.

Sitting next to Griet, she whispers, "Ondar going to be armed for this?"

After the o-group she mingles with some of the group. Toying with the the smoke between her fingers, she twirls it over unconsciously, yet skillfully. She does her best to try to polite and friendly to Jason.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 880 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 1 Oct 2008
at 05:40
Re: Grand Theft Auto - Poland
Dawid patiently repeated what he'd said before.

"To remind you:

"This is farmland.

"That is, generally open. With perhaps some low stone walls, the odd building.

"I must emphasise that there is no appreciable cover for at least a kilometre around the town. All the way around the town.

"With two exceptions. The only covered approaches are along the two waterways.

"Therefore, we must use those avenues, or else walk across the fields, which will have been harvested by now and thus completely open and exposed. Not even NATO supermen can do that unseen.

"Given that we will be approaching along the waterways, tt will be difficult to take bikes and all our equipment along the only covered approaches.

"I appreciate that the plan is flexible and that the support element is free to choose its route, but please be realistic. There is only two possible covered routes and they do not allow for transporting a lot of gear."


He lit a cigarette, the crossed his arms.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 807 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 1 Oct 2008
at 05:58
Re: Grand Theft Auto - Poland
"Its night and we have very good odds. There are only a dozen conscripts there. They are low on the priority for night vision, and even if they have a set or two, their activities are known to be lax. A dozen men cannot watch a perimeter of an 8000 person town during the night, and police an non-supporting people at the same time, and protect their base and property. I have confidence we can cross open ground under the cover of night. Four highly skilled and experienced patrolmen should have no trouble what so ever getting close enough to confirm the main body's route as safe for porting the supplies forward." Bayer answers.

"I don't really care how we move the equipment. Bicycle, boat or on our backs. We bring what we can and adapt for any short comings in the future." he adds.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 881 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 1 Oct 2008
at 08:56
Re: Grand Theft Auto - Poland
Konrad Bayer:
"Its night and we have very good odds. There are only a dozen conscripts there. They are low on the priority for night vision, and even if they have a set or two, their activities are known to be lax. A dozen men cannot watch a perimeter of an 8000 person town during the night, and police an non-supporting people at the same time, and protect their base and property. I have confidence we can cross open ground under the cover of night. Four highly skilled and experienced patrolmen should have no trouble what so ever getting close enough to confirm the main body's route as safe for porting the supplies forward." Bayer answers.

"I don't really care how we move the equipment. Bicycle, boat or on our backs. We bring what we can and adapt for any short comings in the future." he adds.


Dawid thought about his points, then smiled.

"I don't like trusting to luck, but I see what you are saying."

"It is cold comfort that your neck is equally on the line!"